PDA

View Full Version : Is Kawhi going to get *any* max offers from any team if he hits free agency?

phxspurfan
03-28-2018, 12:27 AM
Serious question. With the way this has gone, with the Spurs turning on Kawhi and airing their dirty laundry the way they have. Will Kawhi, due to the injury risk and the bad rep he may get with these now very public issues, command a very risky max offer for like 6 years from another team? Who would be willing to do that, assuming the Spurs don't offer him the SuperMax?

Robz4000
03-28-2018, 12:49 AM
Absolutely. If he's willing to take the normal max I'd give it to him in a heartbeat if I were the Spurs; just not the supermax.

Spurtacular
03-28-2018, 01:14 AM
Top 5 player. All else is irrelevant.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-28-2018, 01:20 AM
He can't get a 6 years deal from anyone. Whether he'd get a max offer when he's a FA would depend on how he does next season, surely.

dbreiden83080
03-28-2018, 04:38 AM

Not playing??? Refusing to suit up in spite of the team diagnosis..

szkorhetz
03-28-2018, 04:39 AM
:lol:lol:lol
On the bench. Or not even on the bench with his team.

r0drig0lac
03-28-2018, 05:23 AM
yes. all.

/ thread

only "high qi spurstalk guys" do not want Kawhi Leonard in his team

tholdren
03-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Will he? Sure. Should he? No

clambake
03-28-2018, 08:56 AM
i remember this. we got adrian dantley in return.

rjv
03-28-2018, 09:27 AM
being that this can't happen until the summer of 2019, how can any one answer?

jermaine
03-28-2018, 09:27 AM
You have to remember most of these dumbass owners can't help themselves from making bad investments. It's like hearing the finest bitch you've ever seen is a slut with great qualities. Of course you gonna give that hoe a chance if she chooses you. Thinking you're different an you can change that slut... You find out the hard way she did you the same as the last dude. Any smart GM should see the hazards of fucking with Kawhi an his uncle, but the world will see.

lmbebo
03-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Barring a career ending injury, conversation begins and ends with "MAX".

rastaspur
03-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Yes

SAGirl
03-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Of course.
He still has next season to reestablish himself as a top player.
If he misses time next season and doesn't look like himself then it gets dicey. Tiago Splitter... career could be over if he doesn't recover and is never again pain free.

lmbebo
03-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Of course.
He still has next season to reestablish himself as a top player.
If he misses time next season and doesn't look like himself then it gets dicey. Tiago Splitter... career could be over if he doesn't recover and is never again pain free.

Thought Splitter already retired?

BillMc
03-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Barring a career ending injury, conversation begins and ends with "MAX".

Who knows, maybe he's already had that injury.

SAGirl
03-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Thought Splitter already retired?
It's an analogy. Like Tiago, Kawhi's career could be over soon if he's never again pain free.

wildbill2u
03-28-2018, 10:52 AM
When a super star has a lingering injury, the decision will be made after next year's season. If he plays a full season with superstar attitude and results, he gets the max offer from the Spurs.

Spurtacular
03-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Not playing??? Refusing to suit up in spite of the team diagnosis..

It won't stop him from getting the max.

Dex
03-28-2018, 12:17 PM
That is the crazy thing about this whole situation.

Assume the timeline that Kawhi really has suffered an injury that will be career altering, and he is holding out so that he can get the supermax from the Spurs this summer. If they don't give it to him, what is he going to do?

Would he really just try to sit out another entire season, and then believe teams are going to pay him in free agency?

If he does come back next season, will he be able to show he can play at a level that he deserves a max contract? Because if he plays at the level that he did in those 9 games this season...that ain't happening, previous accolades be damned.

This is why I have a hard time buying the fact that he is sitting just to protect a big contract, because either way he is just hurting his value.

exstatic
03-29-2018, 06:52 AM
i remember this. we got adrian dantley in return.
And the Pistons got a ring. It was twenty two years before Dallas did.

exstatic
03-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Serious question. With the way this has gone, with the Spurs turning on Kawhi and airing their dirty laundry the way they have. Will Kawhi, due to the injury risk and the bad rep he may get with these now very public issues, command a very risky max offer for like 6 years from another team? Who would be willing to do that, assuming the Spurs don't offer him the SuperMax?
There are no longer any six year contracts. The longest is five, from your own team. Other teams can only offer four years.

dbreiden83080
03-29-2018, 10:58 AM
It won't stop him from getting the max.

You might be correct. But there are a lot of incredibly stupid general managers and owners out there. You realize this man has not played a single meaningful competitive game in almost one year? One year. The playoffs. If you are expecting this off-season his quad its going to magically heal up I would not bet on it. This appears to be a very injury prone player who is also mentally soft. He proved that this season.

daslicer
03-29-2018, 11:00 AM
Yes he will. Living in Charlotte I know of a dumbass owner in Michael Jordan that would without hesitation give Kawhi the max if he became available on the open market.

Bynumite
03-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Role players are getting ridiculous contracts in today's NBA. Kiwi might be the first one to get a max deal.

james evans
03-29-2018, 11:23 AM
You have to remember most of these dumbass owners can't help themselves from making bad investments. It's like hearing the finest bitch you've ever seen is a slut with great qualities. Of course you gonna give that hoe a chance if she chooses you. Thinking you're different an you can change that slut... You find out the hard way she did you the same as the last dude. Any smart GM should see the hazards of fucking with Kawhi an his uncle, but the world will see.
so basically Kawhi should have just played his role and kept his mouth shut and did what the organization told him like a good pet. Once again, the Spurs don't own him. He can do whatever he likes. And that doesn't go for him, that goes for anyone on any team in the league. And trust me, someone is gonna pay him

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Role players are getting ridiculous contracts in today's NBA. Kiwi might be the first one to get a max deal.

:lol well played

jermaine
03-29-2018, 01:35 PM
so basically Kawhi should have just played his role and kept his mouth shut and did what the organization told him like a good pet. Once again, the Spurs don't own him. He can do whatever he likes. And that doesn't go for him, that goes for anyone on any team in the league. And trust me, someone is gonna pay him

He should earn his 19mil

boutons_deux
03-29-2018, 01:44 PM
If Kawhi's tendon problems are seriously chronic, who is going to pay $100M+ for dicey damaged goods?

phxspurfan
03-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Yes he will. Living in Charlotte I know of a dumbass owner in Michael Jordan that would without hesitation give Kawhi the max if he became available on the open market.

Don't be so sure of that. His own brand company didn't want to even give him a shoe deal

gambit1990
03-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Don't be so sure of that. His own brand company didn't want to even give him a shoe deal
i saw that too... i think jordan would though.

TheDoctor
03-29-2018, 01:54 PM
After Rose/Adidas deal companies are very weary of giving massive contracts to injury prone/no show players. That’s the thruth.

daslicer
03-29-2018, 02:21 PM

He tried to trade Kemba for Kawhi during the trade deadline. Obviously the spurs shot it down. I definitely see him going after Kawhi if he was available on the FA market.

spursistan
03-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Missing an entire basketball season with a non-surgical injury/health issue = RED FLAG

This dude has always missed basketball games when he was 21,22,23,24,25 and will continue to miss them at even higher rate as he gets older--that is if he doesn't miss the entirety of what was his expected NBA career..

He has only been at the Top 3-5 level for a couple of seasons.

He is not a leader.

He is not his own man. He is someone who could get manipulated into demanding a trade as soon as he is eligible after cashing in on the Supermax.

It has gone from non-brainer in April '17 to "let me just take a gamble here" a year later.

I have been shitting on PATFO for over a year now, but I hope they make the right judgement on the whole situation. They should have more inside intelligence and facts at their disposal to conclude what should be done next.

daslicer
03-29-2018, 03:01 PM
Missing an entire basketball season with a non-surgical injury/health issue = RED FLAG

This dude has always missed basketball games when he was 21,22,23,24,25 and will continue to miss them at even higher rate as he gets older--that is if he doesn't miss the entirety of what was his expected NBA career..

He has only been at the Top 3-5 level for a couple of seasons.

He is not a leader.

He is not his own man. He is someone who could get manipulated into demanding a trade as soon as he is eligible after cashing in on the Supermax.

It has gone from non-brainer in April '17 to "let me just take a gamble here" a year later.

I have been shitting on PATFO for over a year now, but I hope they make the right judgement on the whole situation. They should have more inside intelligence and facts at their disposal to conclude what should be done next.

That's the only reason why I believe he hasn't asked for a trade yet. If the Spurs don't give him the super max this summer then I can see him trying to force a trade.

TD 21
03-29-2018, 05:34 PM
He tried to trade Kemba for Kawhi during the trade deadline. Obviously the spurs shot it down. I definitely see him going after Kawhi if he was available on the FA market.

At least as a Spur, Leonard isn't getting to free agency. They're offering the super max this off season and he's either signing it or he's getting traded. They won't risk losing him for nothing.

phxspurfan
03-29-2018, 09:56 PM
They're offering the super max this off season and he's either signing it or he's getting traded. They won't risk losing him for nothing.

If they do offer him the Super Max after he clearly quit on the team for an entire year, what will that do to the locker room?

coachmac87
03-29-2018, 10:08 PM
At least as a Spur, Leonard isn't getting to free agency. They're offering the super max this off season and he's either signing it or he's getting traded. They won't risk losing him for nothing.

I know it’s probably likely what you say happens...

But why not make him play that last year out and get one more crack at it..would you take one more crack at it or Judy start the rebuild one year early?

weebo
03-29-2018, 10:09 PM
No one outside the Spurs organization knows what's going on. Typical media bullshit looking for a story that isn't there and you sheep fall for it hook line and sinker. The Spurs know what's going on and so does KL and his camp.

james evans
03-29-2018, 11:37 PM
damn right the company owns him. just like every one of us worker bees. difference is he is getting paid an obscene amount of money
speak for yourself. no one owns me. I work with someone that OWNS their company. I'm next in charge and if I don't want to do something that i feel is wrong, I simply don't and explain to them why. If I'm hurt, I'm not forced to do anything. I'm no longer in the military. No white man owns me.

TimDunkem
03-29-2018, 11:40 PM

But why not make him play that last year out and get one more crack at it..would you take one more crack at it or Judy start the rebuild one year early?

So you want to put pressure on his quad carrying these scrubs? Sounds like just another thing that will push him away.

You don't have to completely rebuild. Just stop surrounding him with one-dimensional, no defense playing mummies.

daslicer
03-29-2018, 11:58 PM
speak for yourself. no one owns me. I work with someone that OWNS their company. I'm next in charge and if I don't want to do something that i feel is wrong, I simply don't and explain to them why. If I'm hurt, I'm not forced to do anything. I'm no longer in the military. No white man owns me.

:lol You must be one of those guys that feels 'Awoke". Unless you run your own business then somebody owns you that's just how it is.

DenialTwist
03-30-2018, 01:06 AM
Jordan doesn’t own Jordan Brand anymore. Nike owns it. And Jordan told a Charlotte Observer reporter that he wanted to trade Kemba for an all star like Kawhi if he had the chance.

daslicer
03-30-2018, 01:16 AM

I agree. I think most likely he will get traded.

coachmac87
03-30-2018, 02:27 AM
So you want to put pressure on his quad carrying these scrubs? Sounds like just another thing that will push him away.

You don't have to completely rebuild. Just stop surrounding him with one-dimensional, no defense playing mummies.

If Kawhi quad is truly career damaging he should really stay with SA...there would be so much pressure for him to succeed if he goes elsewhere...especially the Lakers.

I’d rather attempt to contend even if it’s one more year...Make moves and make him play..see what happens. You gotta do whatever it takes to keep him..

I find it funny people are really eager to rebuild..20 straight years of success lol..Spurs fans really have no idea what “rebuilding” feels like. Like that’s last resort and if they do Pop should retire..but he won’t because he’s committed until 2020..so he’s gonna want to “contend” as he should...

james evans
03-30-2018, 03:00 AM
:lol You must be one of those guys that feels 'Awoke". Unless you run your own business then somebody owns you that's just how it is.
"awoke" huh? I been "woke" since birth. Didn't take any youtube vids or a black panther movie for me to know the workings of the world and to stay away from people that don't look like me

r0drig0lac
03-30-2018, 05:40 AM
No one outside the Spurs organization knows what's going on. Typical media bullshit looking for a story that isn't there and you sheep fall for it hook line and sinker. The Spurs know what's going on and so does KL and his camp.

TD 21
03-30-2018, 04:02 PM
If they do offer him the Super Max after he clearly quit on the team for an entire year, what will that do to the locker room?

Good question. Many, especially the veterans, are probably going to remain pissed no matter how this plays out, but they'll understand too. You just can't replace players of this magnitude, especially in markets like this. Also, he'll obviously make them significantly better, so it'll probably be a forgive but not forget type thing.

Too risky. Even if he were agreeable to this (which is doubtful), he'd have to re-qualify for it next season, so if he missed significant time again and doesn't meet those requirements, they'll have lost by far their biggest selling point and could easily lose him for nothing in free agency.

I agree. I think most likely he will get traded.

I think most likely they reconcile and he signs the super max. They can't afford to not offer it and $79M (the difference between what they and everyone else could offer) is an incredible amount to turn down, especially when, relatively speaking, you haven't made that much yet.

TheDoctor
03-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Jordan doesn’t own Jordan Brand anymore. Nike owns it. And Jordan told a Charlotte Observer reporter that he wanted to trade Kemba for an all star like Kawhi if he had the chance.

Raven
03-30-2018, 04:37 PM
...uh... yes.