PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard? Forget that guy. Move on.

Sigz
03-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Duncan should have been FMVP btw.....

jermaine
03-30-2018, 07:05 AM
My name is Jermaine, an I approve this post!!!

exstatic
03-30-2018, 07:15 AM
I’ll reserve judgement until something actually happens.

jermaine
03-30-2018, 08:03 AM

Something has happened!!! He has quit on his team. If he was at least on the bench or practicing with the team I could understand... This nigga don't do anything with the team an I pray he's done an is traded to the Hornets.

BSfromTX
03-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Something has happened!!! He has quit on his team. If he was at least on the bench or practicing with the team I could understand... This nigga don't do anything with the team an I pray he's done an is traded to the Hornets.

i agree. Team leaders don’t behave this way. He is coming across as very selfish and immature. Maybe he isn’t, but it’s looking that way and if he had any level respect for this team, it seems as though he would at least say something and support them

tholdren
03-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Duncan should have been FMVP btw.....

Said me when kl was handed trophy, but took years for st to get off the kool aid. 4th option. Was not best player in playoffs or finals

james evans
03-30-2018, 10:15 AM
ohh the butt hurt fans haha. I'm glad I'm older now and know how business works while realizing we can be mad at players leaving our favorite teams, but it's not always on the players. I'm more mad at popovich and the front office for not bringing Deadmond and Simmons back than Kawhi leaving. Because that could have started all of this shit. As spurs fans we should be tired of these legacy contracts. but as someone stated, when they re-upped Aldridge this summer, we should have known something was wrong. Hey, Kawhi has beef with the team and he doesn't want to play. Move on, get somethign for him. Since he's "not that good" surely the greatest coach of all time can make another Kawhi right?

superbigtime
03-30-2018, 10:37 AM

what are you, mature or something?

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Remaining what? 6 games in the season? Of couse. Move on, he won't save us this season like in the past. Just focus on playoffs.

After all, we'll have a long summer to talk about Kawhi.

Russ
03-30-2018, 10:47 AM
I think you have to look at the big picture. The default position has to be to offer the Super-Max.

But a lot can (and certainly will) happen before that decision must be made.

BillMc
03-30-2018, 11:36 AM
What is the most likely reason he's not on the bench at least anymore? I ask that not with a pro or anti Kawhi view. Why is he not there?

Could it be...

a) He's been told to be away so the team concentrates on who is available?

b) Sitting on a bench somehow is detrimental to his rehab (seems unlikely)

c) He's mad at the players and/or PAFO because of that team only meeting?

d) He's mad at the organization about how they've handled the rehab?

e) He uses this time to rehab?

f) He's mad at the organization about their position on something contractual?

g) He just doesn't care anymore?

h) He's been told to stay away for some other reason?

I) He's not in SA. (NY? Europe?)

J) He's mad at the team because of how they've presented the issue in the media?

K) He doesn't want to take jeers from fans?

L) He's been asked to stay away so he doesn't take jeers from fan?

M) He's dead, Jim?

N) He needs a bigger boat?

O) It's Chinatown, Jake.

I've no idea. But this development is the weirdest so far....

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 11:45 AM
What is the most likely reason he's not on the bench at least anymore? I ask that not with a pro or anti Kawhi view Why is he not there?

Could it be...

J) He's mad at the team because of how they've presented the issue in the media?

M) He's dead, Jim?

O) It's Chinatown, Jake.

It seems like my inner-player fan isn't allowed to answer this :lol

But I find really funny that no one took the time to post that his girl was sick in previous games.

BillMc
03-30-2018, 11:46 AM
But I find really funny that no one took the time to post that his girl was sick in previous games.

His daughter or girlfriend? How serious? That would be a justifiable absence certainly if it were a major illness.

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 11:52 AM
His daughter or girlfriend? How serious? That would be a justifiable absence certainly if it were a major illness.
It's not a major illness.

I guess only brooklynspursfan (sorry if that's not the correct nick i'm so bad for this) talked last week about it. IIRC he's a Spurs fan living in Brooklyn.

Edit: bklynspursfan

Proxy
03-30-2018, 12:01 PM
the dude drives a 97 tahoe and you expect him to be a normal person

MultiTroll
03-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Move on.
From Buford and Popped.
After 2007's 'Chip please.

Pretty sure a Timmy Duncan led team gets more then one additional Championship in 10 farking years.

baseline bum
03-30-2018, 12:06 PM
I think you have to look at the big picture. The default position has to be to offer the Super-Max.

But a lot can (and certainly will) happen before that decision must be made.

I offer the super max if Kawhi says he wants to stay. But I'm not offering him the super max only to trade him to LA. If he wants the money it has to be here. If he later pouts and tries to force a trade I'm sending him to someone who can trade me another team's lottery picks that they hold and not to his favored destination.

SpursforSix
03-30-2018, 12:09 PM
What is the most likely reason he's not on the bench at least anymore? I ask that not with a pro or anti Kawhi view. Why is he not there?

Could it be...

M) He's dead, Jim?

O) It's Chinatown, Jake.

Who knows.

Another possibility is that he's just so socially awkward and uncomfortable that he can't make himself be around the team.

Whatever it is, it's a mess.

BillMc
03-30-2018, 12:10 PM
I offer the super max if Kawhi says he wants to stay. But I'm not offering him the super max only to trade him to LA. If he wants the money it has to be here.

While I cimpletely understand that sentiment (screw Kawhi) giving him the supermax and then trading him to LAL allows 1) more back in return 2) cripples their salary cap situation much more than a "regular" max.

So, as much as it galls us to give him the supermax before trading him, it seems to me it would be more beneficial to the Spurs to do so. Could be wrong though.

BillMc
03-30-2018, 12:11 PM
Who knows.

Another possibility is that he's just so socially awkward and uncomfortable that he can't make himself be around the team.

Whatever it is, it's a mess.

True

superbigtime
03-30-2018, 12:14 PM
I think he feels guilty and/or awkward. He is there during some of the games. Giving him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. This situation is so weird and mysterious. Best not to blame anyone.

baseline bum
03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
While I cimpletely understand that sentiment (screw Kawhi) giving him the supermax and then trading him to LAL allows 1) more back in return 2) cripples their salary cap situation much more than a "regular" max.

So, as much as it galls us to give him the supermax before trading him, it seems to me it would be more beneficial to the Spurs to do so. Could be wrong though.

What does LA have to send the Spurs that's worth a shit? I'm not interested in the Ball circus. Ingram looks decent but I'd rather swing for the fence with lottery picks vs taking the single to right. They won't be in the lottery if they land Kawhi so their own picks will be worth little, and they don't have anyone else's picks.

Russ
03-30-2018, 05:22 PM
I offer the super max if Kawhi says he wants to stay. But I'm not offering him the super max only to trade him to LA. If he wants the money it has to be here. If he later pouts and tries to force a trade I'm sending him to someone who can trade me another team's lottery picks that they hold and not to his favored destination.

I think if Kawhi signs the Super-Max he can't be traded for two years (but I could be wrong).

If so, Kawhi signing that deal would be a two year commitment (at least in some sense) to the Spurs.

baseline bum
03-30-2018, 05:32 PM
I think if Kawhi signs the Super-Max he can't be traded for two years (but I could be wrong).

If so, Kawhi signing that deal would be a two year commitment (at least in some sense) to the Spurs.

Looks like it's one year. Kawhi better not think the Spurs are going to accommodate him in 2019 with a trade to his preferred destination after one year of supermax money.

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/246593/CBA-Encyclopedia-Designated-Veteran-Contracts

-21-
03-30-2018, 05:35 PM
All I'm gonna say is that Tim was by far our best and most consistent player during the entire 2014 playoff run. Not to mention the unquestionable leader. Kawhi stepped up in the Finals but Tim definitely had my vote for FMVP back then.

Russ
03-30-2018, 06:05 PM
All I'm gonna say is that Tim was by far our best and most consistent player during the entire 2014 playoff run. Not to mention the unquestionable leader. Kawhi stepped up in the Finals but Tim definitely had my vote for FMVP back then.

I said at the time and many times since -- TD should have been 2014 Finals MVP.

Then TD would have been Finals MVP in three different decades. I'm pretty sure that would have been a record.

Instead, we have this . . .

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Spurs are mailing it in this year. There is 0 chance for the Obrien. I suspect this Kawhi unhappy bullshit is an invention of bored press and spoiled Spurs fans.

baseline bum
03-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Spurs are mailing it in this year. There is 0 chance for the Obrien. I suspect this Kawhi unhappy bullshit is an invention of bored press and spoiled Spurs fans.

Aldridge looks like he's busting ass and Parker came back from what could have easily been a career ending injury in a player with a lesser work ethic, so I'm not seeing how they're mailing it in.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2018, 08:31 PM
I believe he's genuinely hurt and all you doubters are going to be eating crow this time next year when he's kicking ass and the Spurs are in position for the one seed.

daslicer
03-30-2018, 08:32 PM
I believe he's genuinely hurt and all you doubters are going to be eating crow this time next year when he's kicking ass and the Spurs are in position for the one seed.

I hope so. I would gladly eat crow if this comes true.

bklynspursfan
03-30-2018, 08:45 PM
It's not a major illness.

I guess only brooklynspursfan (sorry if that's not the correct nick i'm so bad for this) talked last week about it. IIRC he's a Spurs fan living in Brooklyn.

Edit: bklynspursfan

You are correct haha..

And yea I do remember seeing his daughter was sick and he was permitted to remain at home. I didn't know the severity, but im glad to know it's not major.

FkLA
03-30-2018, 08:54 PM
You are correct haha..

And yea I do remember seeing his daughter was sick and he was permitted to remain at home. I didn't know the severity, but im glad to know it's not major.

Sounds like a bullshit excuse. His daughter has a minor symptom, therefore he makes it to the bench about 3 games out of the 75 hes been sidelined for?

BSfromTX
03-30-2018, 10:21 PM

Then why isn’t he at least on the bench during games or giving interviews on his injury? Either his injury is so bad it will hurt his next contract.... OR he’s just too good to hang with other spurs players. Giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point means he’d have to be mentally handicap

bklynspursfan
03-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a bullshit excuse. His daughter has a minor symptom, therefore he makes it to the bench about 3 games out of the 75 hes been sidelined for?

Idk about all season, im just talking about their recent homestand. I have no idea why he hasn't been there other than that.

daslicer
03-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Then why isn’t he at least on the bench during games or giving interviews on his injury? Either his injury is so bad it will hurt his next contract.... OR he’s just too good to hang with other spurs players. Giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point means he’d have to be mentally handicap

It is a possibility since he is a mute.

ECOV
03-30-2018, 10:59 PM
we don't know shit

Ice009
03-30-2018, 11:33 PM

I'd be happy with that.

Arcadian
03-31-2018, 12:01 AM
Eeeeeehhhhh....nah, I'm good.

If he really is leaving, I can deal with it. But I'll wait for the official news instead of assuming and acting like a little bitch about it.

KDKSpurs24
03-31-2018, 12:18 AM
Eeeeeehhhhh....nah, I'm good.

If he really is leaving, I can deal with it. But I'll wait for the official news instead of assuming and acting like a little bitch about it.

YGWHI
03-31-2018, 08:55 AM
You are correct haha..

Sorry for involving you on this. Thanks for your answer to the mention.

I just tried to say that there are almost 50-100 guys posting on ST about Kawhi and just 1 talked about it...It's like people only hear what they want to hear, ignoring some data just because it doesn't fit into their own theories.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Tim definitely would have been FMVP in 2013 had the 4th quarter of game 6 only been 11:32 long

The next closest Spur candidate was Danny Green, if you recall. Leonard did very little on offense that series, and Parker's efficiency wasn't good.

exstatic
03-31-2018, 11:31 AM
Looks like it's one year. Kawhi better not think the Spurs are going to accommodate him in 2019 with a trade to his preferred destination after one year of supermax money.

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/246593/CBA-Encyclopedia-Designated-Veteran-Contracts
One year, but since the SuperMax is an extension, wouldn’t that put the timeline at 2020, one year after his current deal expires? Also, if he tried to push his way out, at the one year point, he would still have 4years left on the SuperMax deal, and he’d be tradable.

offset formation
03-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Sorry for involving you on this. Thanks for your answer to the mention.

I just tried to say that there are almost 50-100 guys posting on ST about Kawhi and just 1 talked about it...It's like people only hear what they want to hear, ignoring some data just because it doesn't fit into their own theories.

I've been in Kawhis camp until recently. Even though I've mostly moved on from being sympathetic, I have made a point to acknowledge there may be valid reasons for his recent distancing and not sitting on the bench. But it *sure* doesn't smell right, especially when you take into account the disinformation the Kawhi side is running that's causing his teammates to go on record with their frustrations--most notably about his communication with the team.

sasaint
03-31-2018, 11:58 AM
One year, but since the SuperMax is an extension, wouldn’t that put the timeline at 2020, one year after his current deal expires? Also, if he tried to push his way out, at the one year point, he would still have 4years left on the SuperMax deal, and he’d be tradable.

All true assuming his health is good and his play level returns to pre-Zaza form.

John B
03-31-2018, 12:09 PM
The same like everyone else, I don’t like the situation. But Kawhi is not the type who talks to media. He did not make from middle 1st round draft to top 2way player, top 5 player in the league for nothing. He is rehabbing and I assume was advised not to sit on the bench to avoid media and focus of the team. Pops, Tony and Manu I think made a mistake of getting their dirty laundry out to the media, uncharacteristic of Spurs culture. I think the priority is get him healthy, get him signed for an extension. He is Spurs best hope of contending for years to come.

baseline bum
03-31-2018, 12:11 PM

It looks like it's one year from the date of signing if this is a legit copy of the CBA:

http://3c90sm37lsaecdwtr32v9qof.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

Article VII, Section 8(f)(ii) (page 230 of the pdf)

In the event a player enters into a Designated Veteran
Player Extension pursuant to Section 7(a)(3)(ii) above or a
Designated Veteran Player Contract pursuant to pursuant
to Article II, Section 7, the player may not be traded before
one (1) year following the date on which he entered into
such Designated Veteran Player Extension or Designated
Veteran Player Contract.

exstatic
03-31-2018, 12:44 PM
It looks like it's one year from the date of signing if this is a legit copy of the CBA:

http://3c90sm37lsaecdwtr32v9qof.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

Article VII, Section 8(f)(ii) (page 230 of the pdf)

In the event a player enters into a Designated Veteran
Player Extension pursuant to Section 7(a)(3)(ii) above or a
Designated Veteran Player Contract pursuant to pursuant
to Article II, Section 7, the player may not be traded before
one (1) year following the date on which he entered into
such Designated Veteran Player Extension or Designated
Veteran Player Contract.
Almost better that way. He’d have 5 years left, and there would be a market for him. He couldn’t walk out on a team. The bidding would be huge, and competitive. We’d get a haul, and maybe not even have to pay 1 year of the SuperMax. All this assumes that he’s healthy.

bklynspursfan
03-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Explains why he hasn't been on the bench, he's in NYC still rehabbing.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22979734/kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-returned-new-york-rehabilitation?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

duncan2k5
04-01-2018, 11:56 AM

he has done both...who gives an interview everyday about their injury? most players give 1 if the media is lucky...antisocial kawhi gave one...what do u want the guy to do?