TD
David
Manu
Ice
Tony
Mitch
Moore

after that, you pickem.

LMA is headed that way maybe, KL has turned into a dick but he is in the top 8 or 10. Alvin too.

sananspursfan21
03-30-2018, 08:55 AM
I mean, we still don’t know much about Kawhi’s situation so yeah just sayin’

SpursFanInAustin
03-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Is Artis Gilmore in that category as well?

r0drig0lac
03-30-2018, 09:00 AM
lmao Kawhi not being a top 6 in franchise history

K...
03-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Worst Spurs:. Lauvergne, mahinimi, ayres, quitter leanard, scola, sjax pt 2

And the worst was vspan

tholdren
03-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Ban this dolt. Lma means and has meant more to franchise than kl. U dumb

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Ban this dolt. Lma means and has meant more to franchise than kl. U dumb
LMA did more? Let me see...

LMA was guarding and attacking LeBron in 2014? Was LMA the Spurs' leading scorer in the last 3 games of 5 Finals games? Or it was Kawhi that guy.

LMA helped the Spurs to win 5?

LMA was DPOY in two seasons in a row playing for the Spurs?

LMA was top 3 MVP candidate in two consecutive seasons?

LMA led the Spurs to WCF last year?

LMA was a beast on both ends winning games against full Warriors? Or he just disappeared w/o Kawhi vs healthy Warriors in last playoffs?

You should learn how to troll before posting

Proxy
03-30-2018, 10:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0

SpursforSix
03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
In order:

TD
David
Manu
Ice
Tony
Mitch
Moore

after that, you pickem.

LMA is headed that way maybe, KL has turned into a dick but he is in the top 8 or 10. Alvin too.

I think you could do this in tiers.

Duncan as #1 and Robinson as #2 seem pretty clear cut.

3,4,5 ....I think could be any order of Manu, Parker, and Ice.

6-10 ...several players in that discussion. Leonard has to be in that group with Mitch, Moore, Gilmore, Elliott, and some others.

I don't think LMA is in that group though.

FvckMavs
03-30-2018, 10:17 AM

that quitter and faker? LOL

BD24
03-30-2018, 11:16 AM
Kawhi is top 5 in franchise history tbh. LMA is top 10 and can continue to climb. He has gained a ton of respect from me this season.

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 11:16 AM
put lma on spurs in 14 instead of kawhi ... do they ring?
Nah..LMA couldn't beat Tiago in those playoffs and you expect he beat LeBron?

Plus, he has benn horrible the few times he guarded LeBron. He would have collected dozen of fouls...

https://pm1.narvii.com/6495/701722be596b930de7669ce25ba47f9585563e64_hq.jpg

No one could have done Kawhi job against Bron in those Finals.

No Kawhi, no 5.

K...
03-30-2018, 11:22 AM
With LMA we'd avoid 6 because pop would keep his jump shooting big in the game to rebound, tbqh

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2018, 11:24 AM
1. Duncan
2. Leonard
3. Robinson
4. Parker
5. Aldridge

Not included: players from the white guy one hand dribble era and stat padders who faced backups

r0drig0lac
03-30-2018, 11:26 AM
Nah..LMA couldn't beat Tiago in those playoffs and you expect he beat LeBron?

Plus, he has benn horrible the few times he guarded LeBron. He would have collected dozen of fouls...

https://pm1.narvii.com/6495/701722be596b930de7669ce25ba47f9585563e64_hq.jpg

No one could have done Kawhi job against Bron in those Finals.

only Kawhi can go all the way against Lebron in the league (Durant needs a ultra stacked team)

bdictjames
03-30-2018, 11:26 AM
I'd put Ice above Manu because Ice actually had to carry the team.

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 11:27 AM
1. Duncan
2. Leonard
3. Robinson
4. Parker
5. Aldridge

Kawhi is not there yet. This is insulting for DRob. There are no Spurs without David, he was also my dad's favorite player

But if Kawhi stays healthy next 5 seasons...That would be a different story. Who knows.

YGWHI
03-30-2018, 11:28 AM
only Kawhi can go all the way against Lebron in the league (Durant needs a ultra stacked team)
:tu

ECOV
03-30-2018, 11:31 AM
LMA did more? Let me see...

LMA was guarding and attacking LeBron in 2014? Was LMA the Spurs' leading scorer in the last 3 games of 5 Finals games? Or it was Kawhi that guy.

LMA helped the Spurs to win 5?

LMA was DPOY in two seasons in a row playing for the Spurs?

LMA was top 3 MVP candidate in two consecutive seasons?

LMA led the Spurs to WCF last year?

LMA was a beast on both ends winning games against full Warriors? Or he just disappeared w/o Kawhi vs healthy Warriors in last playoffs?

You should learn how to troll before posting

:claw

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Kawhi is top 5. Anyone who says otherwise is just a bitter hater.

When KL is back in the lineup next year kicking ass, all these bitter little sh!ts in here better stop posting.

sammy
03-30-2018, 12:13 PM
Timmy
Manu
Parker
LMA
Robinson
Gervin

Louae
03-30-2018, 10:37 PM
1. Drob
2. TD
3. Gervin
4. Manu
5. Parker
6. T. Cummings
7. Kwahi

tholdren
03-30-2018, 11:54 PM

When KL is back in the lineup next year kicking ass, all these bitter little sh!ts in here better stop posting.

You are so dumb. 10 k terrible takes. On the same turd as ygwhi. Just idiotic in st.

Arcadian
03-30-2018, 11:57 PM
:lol As if this season magically cancels out the previous six for Leonard.

tholdren
03-31-2018, 12:01 AM

Acting like in those 6 kl was the best player on a team that rang....

tholdren
03-31-2018, 12:07 AM

Is carmelo top 5 in knick history?

Spurtacular
03-31-2018, 01:46 AM
In order:

TD
David
Manu
Ice
Tony
Mitch
Moore

after that, you pickem.

Manu is ahead of D-Rob; I've said so a million times. Sorry, but you don't put Horace Grant ahead of Scottie Pippen.

And the fact that I can't even think of who Mitch and Moore are off the top of my head....no.

dabom
03-31-2018, 03:03 AM

:lol

ElNono
03-31-2018, 03:03 AM

It doesn't, tbh, but we only have 1 ring to show for it... Tim by his 6th season was 2x NBA champ, 2x League MVP and that's including busting his knee midway through all that, AND had the Spurs shining as the top team in the NBA for time to come...

I mean, I don't want to bring down Kawhi to discuss this, he's indisputably a great talent, but while it's true he revitalized the Spurs at a key time, the franchise itself doesn't have that much to show for it, tbh... unless the bar now is the regular season...

Arcadian
03-31-2018, 03:53 AM
It doesn't, tbh, but we only have 1 ring to show for it... Tim by his 6th season was 2x NBA champ, 2x League MVP and that's including busting his knee midway through all that, AND had the Spurs shining as the top team in the NBA for time to come...

I mean, I don't want to bring down Kawhi to discuss this, he's indisputably a great talent, but while it's true he revitalized the Spurs at a key time, the franchise itself doesn't have that much to show for it, tbh... unless the bar now is the regular season...

Tim is a top 5 player all time, so saying "he didn't live up to Tim" isn't exactly to declare a catastrophe.

1 ring is more than most NBA franchises claimed in the last 6 years. 4 conference finals appearances, 2 finals, and 1 rebound away from back-to-back chips. It's been a good run.

Pauleta14
03-31-2018, 04:38 AM

If he leaves this summer he is not

BillMc
03-31-2018, 04:43 AM
I'd say my Top

1. TD
2. David
3. Ice
4. Tony
5. Kawhi
6. Manu
7. LMA
8. Sean
9. Bruce
10. Moore

ElNono
03-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Tim is a top 5 player all time, so saying "he didn't live up to Tim" isn't exactly to declare a catastrophe.

1 ring is more than most NBA franchises claimed in the last 6 years. 4 conference finals appearances, 2 finals, and 1 rebound away from back-to-back chips. It's been a good run.

Like I said I'm not going to shit on him to prop up somebody else, tbh, but nobody remembers 2nd place...

SPURt
03-31-2018, 08:03 AM
James Silas should be in the discussion too

pookenstein
03-31-2018, 08:14 AM
I'd say my Top

1. TD
2. David
3. Ice
4. Tony
5. Kawhi
6. Manu
7. LMA
8. Sean
9. Bruce
10. Moore

Just curious: what's your reason behind putting Kawhi before Manu? I love Leonard and what he has done for us. Hope he'll get his hit togerther and kicks ass for the Spurs for a long, long time. But imo, he hasn't done yet what Manu has done for the franchise. Is it because of the FMVP and/or the DPOYs?

BillMc
03-31-2018, 08:28 AM
Just curious: what's your reason behind putting Kawhi before Manu? I love Leonard and what he has done for us. Hope he'll get his hit togerther and kicks ass for the Spurs for a long, long time. But imo, he hasn't done yet what Manu has done for the franchise. Is it because of the FMVP and/or the DPOYs?

Manu is my second favorite player all time behind Timmy, so I won't EVER say anything negative about him. But, yes, the FMVP and DPOYs, and just his general dominace (when playing) nudged him in front of Manu (and nearly Tony) if I am objective. Manu, Tony and Kawhi can almost be ranked in any order and I'd have no issue. Tony get the slight nod over Manu because of a year more service, more health, and in the 2011-2014 era with Tony as lead was a bit longer and more successful then 2008-2011 which was the time Pop tried to let Manu really take over after Timmy's prime was in slight decline. But there will be no one I'll hate to see retire more than Manu.

SASdynasty!
03-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Lol Manu playing against second units his whole career being ahead of FMVP Parker.

Clipper Nation
03-31-2018, 09:09 AM
1. Duncan
2. Robinson
3. Kawhi
4. Manu
5. Gervin

97. Speedy Claxton
98. Beno Udrih
99. Patty Mills
100. Enrique Porker

SASdynasty!
03-31-2018, 09:11 AM
1. Duncan
2. Robinson
3. Kawhi
4. Manu
5. Gervin

97. Speedy Claxton
98. Beno Udrih
99. Patty Mills
100. Enrique Porker
9 WCF, 5 Finals, 4 Titles, 1 FMVP > 0 WCF CP0

sasaint
03-31-2018, 09:34 AM
I'd say my Top

1. TD
2. David
3. Ice
4. Tony
5. Kawhi
6. Manu
7. LMA
8. Sean
9. Bruce
10. Moore

At this stage I do not rank Kawhi over Manu.

pookenstein
03-31-2018, 10:38 AM
Manu is my second favorite player all time behind Timmy, so I won't EVER say anything negative about him. But, yes, the FMVP and DPOYs, and just his general dominace (when playing) nudged him in front of Manu (and nearly Tony) if I am objective. Manu, Tony and Kawhi can almost be ranked in any order and I'd have no issue. Tony get the slight nod over Manu because of a year more service, more health, and in the 2011-2014 era with Tony as lead was a bit longer and more successful then 2008-2011 which was the time Pop tried to let Manu really take over after Timmy's prime was in slight decline. But there will be no one I'll hate to see retire more than Manu.

For me, right now, I'd put Manu ahead of Kawhi because of his years of service as a Spur. Leonard, if he gets his shit together and continues to dominate fools for us, is certainly on the path to surpass Ginobili as well as TP. I'm with you (and your reasoning) ranking Tony slightly higher than Manu.

:toast

Pauleta14
03-31-2018, 11:49 AM

I was going to question as well why Kawhi ahead of Manu but good point.

I still put Manu ahead for his overall impact and length as a spur, but if Kawhi stays a couple more years a least I might change my pov...

Clipper Nation
03-31-2018, 12:31 PM
9 WCF, 5 Finals, 4 Titles, 1 FMVP > 0 WCF CP0
:lol You do realize that I'm far from a CP0 apologist, right? Both of these guys are losers. You could put Porker on the Hornets and Clippers in place of CP0 and they would still lose the same way. Don't confuse being carried by Duncan/Manu/Kawhi and bailed out by the backup PGs with earning it.

SAGirl
03-31-2018, 12:32 PM

And the worst was vspan
You don’t have RJefferson anywhere? Long b4 I watched the Spurs but fans always have a beef with him.

kuato
03-31-2018, 02:00 PM

And the worst was vspan

Scoooooooooooola thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-31-2018, 04:23 PM
You are so dumb. 10 k terrible takes. On the same turd as ygwhi. Just idiotic in st.

I apologize, I don't think I've never read one of your posts...but I'll take your response as meaning that you're likely one of those folks I'm referring to.

BillMc
03-31-2018, 05:11 PM
At this stage I do not rank Kawhi over Manu.

For me, right now, I'd put Manu ahead of Kawhi because of his years of service as a Spur. Leonard, if he gets his shit together and continues to dominate fools for us, is certainly on the path to surpass Ginobili as well as TP. I'm with you (and your reasoning) ranking Tony slightly higher than Manu.

:toast

I was going to question as well why Kawhi ahead of Manu but good point.

I still put Manu ahead for his overall impact and length as a spur, but if Kawhi stays a couple more years a least I might change my pov...

:toast I can certainly respect all of your opinions. If Kawhi stays he pass Tony in my book, if he leaves he could even drop.

tholdren
03-31-2018, 05:31 PM

Manu is like the most decorated spur with chanpionships and ind awards outside of the nba. How do you rank a media hyped tim successor and james rival over someone who is more decorated, and gave up individual personal accolades in the nba to come off bench..?

Pavlov
03-31-2018, 05:33 PM
Manu is ahead of D-Rob; I've said so a million times. Sorry, but you don't put Horace Grant ahead of Scottie Pippen.

And the fact that I can't even think of who Mitch and Moore are off the top of my head....no.That just means you're ignorant tbh.

sasaint
03-31-2018, 05:40 PM
Manu is like the most decorated spur with chanpionships and ind awards outside of the nba. How do you rank a media hyped tim successor and james rival over someone who is more decorated, and gave up individual personal accolades in the nba to come off bench..?

Decorated and influential - if you're thinking globally and not NBA-centricly. I don't know who actually was the first to employ the Euro-step, but I feel pretty confident in saying it was Manu who brought it to widespread use.

BillMc
03-31-2018, 05:45 PM

Good lord am I going to have to defend my rankings on this forever?:lol

I guess if you add the FMVP, DPOYs, multiple all defensive teams, and 2 first team All NBA, they outweigh Manu's NBA awards . And Manu's accomplishments outside the NBA would not count in a Spurs ranking. Obviously, Manu has been a lock for the HOF since the 2004 Olympics, his complete legacy is amazing. But international play is irrelevant to his ranking exclusively as a SA player.

As I said once Tony, Manu and Kawhi are effectively a dead heat for me. Manu and Tony have longer contributions, Kawhi's I feel shone brighter but over a much shorter period of time.

sasaint
03-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Good lord am I going to have to defend my rankings on this forever?:lol

I guess if you add the FMVP, DPOYs, multiple all defensive teams, and 2 first team All NBA, they outweigh Manu's NBA awards . And Manu's accomplishments outside the NBA would not count in a Spurs ranking. Obviously, Manu has been a lock for the HOF since the 2004 Olympics, his complete legacy is amazing. But international play is irrelevant to his ranking exclusively as a SA player.

As I said once Tony, Manu and Kawhi are effectively a dead heat for me. Manu and Tony have longer contributions, Kawhi's I feel shone brighter but over a much shorter period of time.

Okay, Bill, if non-Spurs accomplishments are not thrown in the mix, how did LMA get so high on the list?

BillMc
03-31-2018, 05:57 PM
Okay, Bill, if non-Spurs accomplishments are not thrown in the mix, how did LMA get so high on the list?

Second best player on 2 60 win teams, including a team record 67 wins, carried us this season. The fact that he's dragging us into the playoffs on his back pretty much by himself is something no one below him on my list has done. Will be All NBA 2nd team or so this year. Was All NBA 3rd team his first year. Nobody on the list below him (Sean, Bruce, Moore) can say that.

tholdren
03-31-2018, 06:08 PM
Second best player on 2 60 win teams, including a team record 67 wins, carried us this season. The fact that he's dragging us into the playoffs on his back pretty much by himself is something no one below him on my list has done. Will be All NBA 2nd team or so this year. Was All NBA 3rd team his first year. Nobody on the list below him (Sean, Bruce, Moore) can say that. i guess thats why i rate lma higher than kl. Hes doing this by himself with this garbage group. Reminds me of d rob. Can carry a team to playoffs cant close the deal. Kl never led spurs to anything as the man.

BillMc
03-31-2018, 06:14 PM
i guess thats why i rate lma higher than kl. Hes doing this by himself with this garbage group. Reminds me of d rob. Can carry a team to playoffs cant close the deal. Kl never led spurs to anything as the man.

Yeah, it does have a d rob feel to it. Agreed

sasaint
03-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Second best player on 2 60 win teams, including a team record 67 wins, carried us this season. The fact that he's dragging us into the playoffs on his back pretty much by himself is something no one below him on my list has done. Will be All NBA 2nd team or so this year. Was All NBA 3rd team his first year. Nobody on the list below him (Sean, Bruce, Moore) can say that.

Good narrative. Good defense. :toast I guess I would give some weight to those "Spurs as Spurs milestones" and such. It seems kinda weird putting a guy on our all-time list who still spent twice as long on another team. You make a good case for the "quality" - even if I have qualms about his fourth quarter "quality." But I would factor in a little more "quantity."

dbreiden83080
03-31-2018, 06:28 PM
Jesus Christ on some of you underrating Ice so badly..

He is a career 25 PPG scorer. Scored 33 PPG one year.. Has more career points than TD..

dbreiden83080
03-31-2018, 06:31 PM
It should be

TD
David
Ice as the obvious top 3.. After that you can debate it all you want..

BillMc
03-31-2018, 06:36 PM
It should be

TD
David

That's exactly what I have

BillMc
03-31-2018, 06:37 PM
Good narrative. Good defense. :toast I guess I would give some weight to those "Spurs as Spurs milestones" and such. It seems kinda weird putting a guy on our all-time list who still spent twice as long on another team. You make a good case for the "quality" - even if I have qualms about his fourth quarter "quality." But I would factor in a little more "quantity."

:toast Understood. Different ways of looking at it.

dbreiden83080
03-31-2018, 06:42 PM
That's exactly what I have

People having Manu at 3 is like huh? The rings cloud judgement.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-31-2018, 10:06 PM
It should be

TD
David

I would say Manu/Parker interchangable at 4/5. Anyone putting Kiwi ahead of lifelong warriors Parker/Manu is fucking retarded. At this point, if Kiwi bolted he wouldnt even get his jersey retired.

SASdynasty!
03-31-2018, 11:29 PM
:lol You do realize that I'm far from a CP0 apologist, right? Both of these guys are losers. You could put Porker on the Hornets and Clippers in place of CP0 and they would still lose the same way. Don't confuse being carried by Duncan/Manu/Kawhi and bailed out by the backup PGs with earning it.
Tony being “carried”:

2014:

Spurs All-Stars: Tony Parker
Spurs All-NBA Players: Tony Parker
Spurs Scoring Leader (RS): Tony Parker
Spurs Assist Leader (RS): Tony Parker
Spurs Scoring Leader (Playoffs): Tony Parker
Spurs Assist Leader (Playoffs) Tony Parker
Spurs Scoring Leader (Finals): Tony Parker

ElNono
04-01-2018, 12:01 AM

He is a career 25 PPG scorer. Scored 33 PPG one year.. Has more career points than TD..

That one season he averaged 33PPG, he actually attempted almost 25 shots a game... that's ridiculous... TD's highest FGA in a season is 18 in 2001-2002... His FGA are in line with chuckers like Iverson...

Raw stats are terrible for this kind of comparisons unless you put some context to it, tbh...

Thomas82
04-01-2018, 12:03 AM

Ice is the most efficient scoring guard in NBA history......a career 25 PPG scorer on 51% shooting.

ElNono
04-01-2018, 12:09 AM
Ice is the most efficient scoring guard in NBA history......a career 25 PPG scorer on 51% shooting.

He was a chucker, tbh... he averaged almost 20 shots per game in his career... in today's NBA, he would be terrible, a career 27% 3 point shooter...

He was talented, but it was his show... which in the game of basketball rarely translates into championships...

Thomas82
04-01-2018, 12:09 AM
It should be

TD
David

That's it and that's all!!

ElNono
04-01-2018, 12:13 AM
IMO, you gotta give it to the guys that brought the most for the franchise, putting their ego aside to get it done:

TD (silent leader)
DRob (the big architect of culture)
Manu (selfless star)
Parker (steady hand)

then the rest are a tier below, tbh...

ElNono
04-01-2018, 12:15 AM
Heck, TD bolts to Orlando and this team is in Seattle now, we're trying to rank Ice next to Gary Payton, tbh...

daslicer
04-01-2018, 12:30 AM
1. Duncan - Obviously
2. Robinson - Won a league MVP, defensive player of the year, scoring title. Lead the spurs to a WCF.
3. Gervin - Was before my time but I have looked him up. He lead the league in scoring 4 times. Was a 9 time NBA all-star and lead the Spurs to a WCF in which they lost to the Lakers in 6 games.
4. I have Manu and Tony tied here. I feel they were equally as important for different reasons.
5. Kawhi- If he stays here longer and is healthy I believe he has a good chance of jumping to number 2. Only reason I have Manu and Tony ranked ahead of him is due to longevity.

daslicer
04-01-2018, 12:34 AM
That one season he averaged 33PPG, he actually attempted almost 25 shots a game... that's ridiculous... TD's highest FGA in a season is 18 in 2001-2002... His FGA are in line with chuckers like Iverson...

Raw stats are terrible for this kind of comparisons unless you put some context to it, tbh...

He may have taken a lot of FGA's but he was efficient. I looked up his FG percentage and he shot above 50 percent 6 times while he was in the NBA. Also all the scoring titles he won were shooting above 50 percent. The other season he didn't shoot 50 he barely missed the mark and shot around 48-49 percent. That is very impressive for a volume scorer.Keep in mind I'm factoring in his NBA numbers and not his ABA numbers.

ElNono
04-01-2018, 02:41 AM
He may have taken a lot of FGA's but he was efficient. I looked up his FG percentage and he shot above 50 percent 6 times while he was in the NBA. Also all the scoring titles he won were shooting above 50 percent. The other season he didn't shoot 50 he barely missed the mark and shot around 48-49 percent. That is very impressive for a volume scorer.Keep in mind I'm factoring in his NBA numbers and not his ABA numbers.

That's all great, but volume shooters/one trick ponies seldom are enough to win in this sport, tbh... Even Jordan knew when the pass to Kerr, or same with TD and a lot of other greats... that's understanding the game beyond personal numbers.

Are we building this list on pure individual talent alone? In that case, Moses Malone should probably be around the top, regardless if he was fairly done by the time he played for the Spurs, tbh...

IMO, the only way a 'Best Spurs' list makes sense is as far as what they have given to the franchise, regardless of their individual numbers. Guys like Manu and even Tony could've probably have had a shorter, but better number-wise careers in another team. It was that kind of sacrifice that elevates them, because it's possible neither was more talented or efficient than Iceman, but they had a much deeper understanding of what it takes to win in this game.

daslicer
04-01-2018, 02:53 AM
That's all great, but volume shooters/one trick ponies seldom are enough to win in this sport, tbh... Even Jordan knew when the pass to Kerr, or same with TD and a lot of other greats... that's understanding the game beyond personal numbers.

Are we building this list on pure individual talent alone? In that case, Moses Malone should probably be around the top, regardless if he was fairly done by the time he played for the Spurs, tbh...

IMO, the only way a 'Best Spurs' list makes sense is as far as what they have given to the franchise, regardless of their individual numbers. Guys like Manu and even Tony could've probably have had a shorter, but better number-wise careers in another team. It was that kind of sacrifice that elevates them, because it's possible neither was more talented or efficient than Iceman, but they had a much deeper understanding of what it takes to win in this game.

Ice also lead the Spurs to 2 straight WCFs against the Lakers in the 80's. I don't think Manu or Tony could have ever done that if they were the main guys and they are not playing with Duncan. Moses Malone was washed up when he was with the Spurs so that's a terrible example to put up there. For me when it comes to ranking all time spurs it comes down to how talented you were during your time with the spurs and winning.

ElNono
04-01-2018, 05:07 AM
Ice also lead the Spurs to 2 straight WCFs against the Lakers in the 80's. I don't think Manu or Tony could have ever done that if they were the main guys and they are not playing with Duncan. Moses Malone was washed up when he was with the Spurs so that's a terrible example to put up there. For me when it comes to ranking all time spurs it comes down to how talented you were during your time with the spurs and winning.

Well, certainly everybody is entitled to their standards. Personally, this is a game you play to win the championship, IMO. Nobody remembers #2 and down.

I didn't rank DRob #2 because he was an incredibly talented athletic freak that could drop 71 points in a game, but because he was aware of his limitations as a leader and was humble enough to realize that having Tim hold the torch was more important than himself or his numbers. And the franchise didn't just benefit from that, but built a culture around it. You can't put a number on that one... or you can: 5 championships, tbh, which IMO is all that matters.

dbreiden83080
04-01-2018, 07:52 AM

Nobody plays any D today, and even when you try the refs won't allow it. Ice averages 40 today..

And Russ put up 24 FGA last year. So Ice would be swimming in MVP votes.

dbreiden83080
04-01-2018, 07:53 AM
He was a chucker, tbh... he averaged almost 20 shots per game in his career... in today's NBA, he would be terrible, a career 27% 3 point shooter...

He was talented, but it was his show... which in the game of basketball rarely translates into championships...

Players were not tossing up 50 threes a game back then. With the emphasis on the 3 today, he would have been much better from there. Great players adapt..

tholdren
04-01-2018, 08:00 AM

I think manu is a better all around player. Gervin was a great scorer but he took 20 plus shots a game. Id take manu between the 2. I prefer guys who can do it all. Not sure if gervin could make his teammates better.

dbreiden83080
04-01-2018, 08:46 AM
I think manu is a better all around player. Gervin was a great scorer but he took 20 plus shots a game. Id take manu between the 2. I prefer guys who can do it all. Not sure if gervin could make his teammates better.

Gervin was incredibly talented. Put him on the Spurs of Timmy and Pop in the heyday and they would clean up. Duncan never played with anyone like that in their prime. Manu is a very good player, but to me not a hall of famer and neither is Tony. Basketball is the easiest sport to get in the hall, where as Baseball seems to be the hardest. We have pitchers with 250 plus wins still waiting for their phone to ring. Posada won 4 rings with the Yankees, and he was off the ballot in year 1.. I like it to be hard to make the HOF. Players like Grant Hill should not be in the Hall. Great talent but injuries cut him short and he did not accomplish enough. Manu is a good number 2, and he played on great teams with a top 10 player all time in his prime. He won a lot. But I look at his numbers and it does not say Hall of Fame to me. He is a borderline case IMO, that will get in easily mostly because it is so easy to get in.. They also look at international things where Manu did clean up. But 99% of his career was on an NBA court..

BillMc
04-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Players like Grant Hill should not be in the Hall. Great talent but injuries cut him short and he did not accomplish enough. ..

Grant absolutely deserves to be in the hall. It is the basketball HOF not the NBA HOf. He had a fantastic college career that really is enough to get him in, as well as gold on the Olympics. Then add 7 years as sort of a proto-LeBron in the NBA before the injuries hit and Grant deserved his selection.

dbreiden83080
04-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Grant absolutely deserves to be in the hall. It is the basketball HOF not the NBA HOf. He had a fantastic college career that really is enough to get him in, as well as gold on the Olympics. Then add 7 years as sort of a proto-LeBron in the NBA before the injuries hit and Grant deserved his selection.

I think the NBA should have a separate HOF.. I don't like this idea that you won a Gold Medal or an NCAA title and in spite of a less than stellar injury riddled pro career you are in the HOF. Grant did not have a great pro career. Players that played 99% of their time in the NBA, to me that is what needs to count the most. Grant Hill gets in I suppose in part for his college success. But Webber is still out and Webber did a little more in the pro's IMO. So if Webber won 1 of those 2 title games, with Michigan is he in? It is pretty inconsistent. We have too many players with less than stellar pro careers going in. Not happening in other sports. In the NFL Eli Manning has 2 Superbowl wins and MVP's and still I hear that he is borderline HOF material, because of advanced metrics and what not, and he ranks mediocre according to them. Basketball is putting guys in with no rings, and stats that do not warrant induction.

tholdren
04-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Gervin was incredibly talented. Put him on the Spurs of Timmy and Pop in the heyday and they would clean up. Duncan never played with anyone like that in their prime. Manu is a very good player, but to me not a hall of famer and neither is Tony. Basketball is the easiest sport to get in the hall, where as Baseball seems to be the hardest. We have pitchers with 250 plus wins still waiting for their phone to ring. Posada won 4 rings with the Yankees, and he was off the ballot in year 1.. I like it to be hard to make the HOF. Players like Grant Hill should not be in the Hall. Great talent but injuries cut him short and he did not accomplish enough. Manu is a good number 2, and he played on great teams with a top 10 player all time in his prime. He won a lot. But I look at his numbers and it does not say Hall of Fame to me. He is a borderline case IMO, that will get in easily mostly because it is so easy to get in.. They also look at international things where Manu did clean up. But 99% of his career was on an NBA court..

Gervin took 20 plus shots a game. There would be no beautiful game. And duncan would look like 2nd fiddle to the ppg crowd. But i agree, very talented scorer. There are plays that manu and tim made that never show up on box score, gervin didnt have that in other aspects of his game.

Capt Bringdown
04-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Kawhi'd is the new Munsoned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIFItbwqVA

dbreiden83080
04-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Gervin took 20 plus shots a game. There would be no beautiful game. And duncan would look like 2nd fiddle to the ppg crowd. But i agree, very talented scorer. There are plays that manu and tim made that never show up on box score, gervin didnt have that in other aspects of his game.

You put him in the Spurs culture at that time he would adjust. I am sure he would be great.

duncan2k5
04-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Kawhi is a dick for being injured? u guys are sick...u really dont care for ppl's health

dbreiden83080
04-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Kawhi is a dick for being injured? u guys are sick...u really dont care for ppl's health

Well then he has one of the most mysterious leg injuries in the history of leg injuries. And playing with pain is part of pro sports. He is going to have one short career if in his mind, "I will only play if i am 100%" Should retire now..

daslicer
04-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Well, certainly everybody is entitled to their standards. Personally, this is a game you play to win the championship, IMO. Nobody remembers #2 and down.

I didn't rank DRob #2 because he was an incredibly talented athletic freak that could drop 71 points in a game, but because he was aware of his limitations as a leader and was humble enough to realize that having Tim hold the torch was more important than himself or his numbers. And the franchise didn't just benefit from that, but built a culture around it. You can't put a number on that one... or you can: 5 championships, tbh, which IMO is all that matters.

Ice's resume is too good for him not to be number 3 on all-time spurs list. I'm not even factoring his ABA success just his NBA success in this argument. The spurs while ICE was in the NBA had 3 50 win plus seasons, and made 3 conference finals, got out of the first round 5 times, and made the playoffs 8 out of the 9 seasons that Ice played for the NBA. Ice had all this success as the number 1 option on the Spurs while Manu and Parker's success when it comes to winning is largely a by product of playing with Tim Duncan. Can't penalize Ice for not being as successful as those 2 simply because he didn't get to play with Duncan. I just don't see Manu and Tony having the type of success Ice had when it comes to winning if they didn't play with Duncan.

Ice individual success also trumps Manu and Tony. Ice made 9 all-star games, was all-nba first team 5 times, all-nba second team 2 times, 4 time scoring champ. I don't think Manu and Tony would have that type of individual success if they were unshackled and got to the be man on their own team.

Ice also has spurs cultural significance since he was the first superstar player the franchise ever had. In my eyes when you factor in cultural significance, winning, and individual success Ice can't be ranked lower than third.