PDA

View Full Version : SI: Kawhi Leonard and the Limits of Spurs Culture

BillMc
03-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Nothing new here really, bot no game tonight so:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/28/kawhi-leonard-injury-spurs-gregg-popovich-lamarcus-aldridge-tim-duncan

spursistan
03-30-2018, 05:58 PM
Nobody expects this guy to be Duncan 2.0 anymore. (his camp actually leaked that tidbit to Jabary Young)

But the fact that certified diva like Aldridge has proven to be more professional about his vocation despite his deep-seated discontent last season speaks volumes about Leonard..

Lamarcus sulked, his effort probably waned, and he looked disengaged at times last year, but he was NEVER a distraction to the team or alienated his teammates..

The sooner Spurfan realizes that Kawhi is not who they thought he was, the better..

There is no silver lining in all of this, but at least the fanbase is mentally prepared for the endgame. We are not that stupid to not see through the subterfuge..

Play Boban
03-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Kawhi is an asshole. End of story. I told you wankers we never should’ve drafted that pos.

apalisoc_9
03-30-2018, 06:25 PM
Great article.

r0drig0lac
03-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Great article.

Spur|n|Austin
03-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Kawhi is an asshole. End of story. I told you wankers we never should’ve drafted that pos.

2014 disagrees with you, cool schtick though.

phxspurfan
03-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Lamarcus sulked, his effort probably waned, and he looked disengaged at times last year, but he was NEVER a distraction to the team or alienated his teammates. The sooner Spurfan realizes that Kawhi is not who they thought he was, the better.

Exactly. At least LMA showed up to play. Everyone has times where they are demotivated for whatever reason but 99% of people still show up to the job they agreed to do and the job they are paid to do. Kawhi has scammed the Spurs out of 19M this year.

Play Boban
03-30-2018, 07:04 PM
You mean when he stole the FMVP from Timmy??? Pathetic opportunist he is! A joke!

baseline bum
03-30-2018, 07:07 PM

Yeah no matter what Kawhi does, the Hill trade was a raging success. Either he or Duncan would have won Finals MVP in 2013 if someone could have grabbed a rebound, plus he led the team to 67 and 61 win seasons. No matter what the Spurs won bigtime in taking Kawhi.

pgardn
03-30-2018, 07:19 PM
You mean when he stole the FMVP from Timmy??? Pathetic opportunist he is! A joke!

The MVP would have gone to Lebron as we would have lost.

99 Problems
03-30-2018, 08:20 PM
FMVP here or there, just enjoy it for wot it’s worth. As it often is you could make a legit case for Timmeth, Manu or Kawawawa. Rather remember GAME 6, LeBron coming out a man on a mission, Manu pulling us back, MVPatty exploding from the 3.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Exactly. At least LMA showed up to play. Everyone has times where they are demotivated for whatever reason but 99% of people still show up to the job they agreed to do and the job they are paid to do. Kawhi has scammed the Spurs out of 19M this year.

LaMarcus sulking his way through two seasons is hardly "showing up". You can punch the clock or you can play with passion. What LMA did was worse than Kawhi. LaMarcus gave little to no effort...he wasn't hurt, he just chose to not try. Kawhi isn't giving up on the team, he's trying to preserve his playing career. His public relations skills suck, but I believe he's going to come back and be fine.

I've never seen Kawhi on the court where he's not giving maximum effort. I can't say that about LMA. I'm glad Pop stroked his nutsack this year and got him motivated, but where was this guy when the Spurs needed him? Where was he when TD was leaving the last scrap of his knees on the court?

I'm thrilled that LMA is giving his all to a team that will be out in the first round of the playoffs. He'd be perfect on an average team that has one foot in the playoffs and the other in the lottery........oh wait. Yep, no wonder he's doing fine.

Chinook
03-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Aldridge didn't suck through two seasons.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Aldridge didn't suck through two seasons.

No, that was probably a bit harsh. But he certainly didn't play up to his abilities. Maybe that was partially due to him not be used correctly. But to say he's out there giving it his all every night is a bit of a stretch up until this season.

This is the LMA I wanted to see the last two post seasons, not in a year that the Spurs really have no shot.

FkLA
03-30-2018, 08:45 PM
LaMarcus sulking his way through two seasons is hardly "showing up". You can punch the clock or you can play with passion. What LMA did was worse than Kawhi. LaMarcus gave little to no effort...he wasn't hurt, he just chose to not try. Kawhi isn't giving up on the team, he's trying to preserve his playing career. His public relations skills suck, but I believe he's going to come back and be fine.

I've never seen Kawhi on the court where he's not giving maximum effort. I can't say that about LMA. I'm glad Pop stroked his nutsack this year and got him motivated, but where was this guy when the Spurs needed him? Where was he when TD was leaving the last scrap of his knees on the court?

I'm thrilled that LMA is giving his all to a team that will be out in the first round of the playoffs. He'd be perfect on an average team that has one foot in the playoffs and the other in the lottery........oh wait. Yep, no wonder he's doing fine.

Kawhi actually looked pretty lazy the few games he suited up this year. I thought it was due to the "injury" but he was probably just being a faggot.

Play Boban
03-30-2018, 08:53 PM
In your dreams you Kawhi sucker!

LongtimeSpursFan
03-30-2018, 08:59 PM

Kawhi shows up 2 out of of 6 games and holds Lebron to more points then he average during playoffs run. Finals MVP should have gone to Parker or Manu or Duncan. But with iguadala also winning the MVP was already a joke.

phxspurfan
03-30-2018, 09:02 PM

Kawhi at his best is better than LMA, no doubt about that. And of course this doesn't absolve LMA for punching the clock for awhile here and not playing up to his potential. But It's hard to cheer for a guy in Kawhi who didn't really give his all while making millions from the Spurs (or their insurance company) this year, especially if it was to preserve a contract extension. Guys like Gordon Hayward are trying to make it back this year for their team, a guy who broke his ankle in like 3 places (https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/10/18/what-we-know-about-gordon-haywards-injury) and probably tore ligaments off the bone. All while Kawhi can probably just take a couple Advil and go out and drop 20 a night in 25 minutes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Kawhi at his best is better than LMA, no doubt about that. And of course this doesn't absolve LMA for punching the clock for awhile here and not playing up to his potential. But It's hard to cheer for a guy in Kawhi who didn't really give his all while making millions from the Spurs (or their insurance company) this year, especially if it was to preserve a contract extension. Guys like Gordon Hayward are trying to make it back this year for their team, a guy who broke his ankle in like 3 places (https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/10/18/what-we-know-about-gordon-haywards-injury) and probably tore ligaments off the bone. All while Kawhi can probably just take a couple Advil and go out and drop 20 a night in 25 minutes.

I hear you. You can look at our own roster and see what TP and Gay did to come back from injury this year. I would venture a bet that neither of those guys would say they're close to 100%. I doubt Tim felt "good" at any time in his last 10 years in the league.

KDKSpurs24
03-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Kawhi shows up 2 out of of 6 games and holds Lebron to more points then he average during playoffs run. Finals MVP should have gone to Parker or Manu or Duncan. But with iguadala the MVP was already a joke.
The series only went 5 games. And he played really well in 3 of them. It’s like you forgot the story. Well let me remind you. He got in foul trouble (mainly from touch fouls) and didn’t play much the first two games and was lacking confidence before he got pulled to the side by Pop and others. Then played great on both ends the rest of the way. Also, I guess you didn’t watch because everyone here should know that Lebron mainly scored after a switch on Diaw or Splitter or someone not named Kawhi. Also scored when the game was already out of hand.

FkLA
03-30-2018, 09:09 PM
I can't believe people still think he's not playing because he's "soft". He's fine and he's not really soft, he just wants out. Basically the same shit Eric Gordon pulled when he was with the Pelicans.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2018, 09:14 PM
I can't believe people still think he's not playing because he's "soft". He's fine and he's not really soft, he just wants out. Basically the same shit Eric Gordon pulled when he was with the Pelicans.

Kawhi was all but guaranteed a SuperMax contract this summer. With the Spurs FO printing money the last couple of off-seasons all Kawhi had to do was show up and play up to 80% of his ability and he'd of gotten it.

Now I'd be surprised if he signs a new contract this summer. He'll probably play through his expiring on the Spurs, or get traded, and the SuperMax will be gone. I don't see how this was just a move to be traded. I think he legitimately believes he can't go, and that he'll jeopardize his long-term health if he plays. I truly believe people are reading this situation wrong. Otherwise he's getting (and following) the worst advice someone could possibly get because he's throwing away tens of millions of dollars pretending to be hurt.

Play Boban
03-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Kawhi shows up 2 out of of 6 games and holds Lebron to more points then he average during playoffs run. Finals MVP should have gone to Parker or Manu or Duncan. But with iguadala also winning the MVP was already a joke.
Someone gets it!

FkLA
03-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Kawhi was all but guaranteed a SuperMax contract this summer. With the Spurs FO printing money the last couple of off-seasons all Kawhi had to do was show up and play up to 80% of his ability and he'd of gotten it.

Now I'd be surprised if he signs a new contract this summer. He'll probably play through his expiring on the Spurs, or get traded, and the SuperMax will be gone. I don't see how this was just a move to be traded. I think he legitimately believes he can't go, and that he'll jeopardize his long-term health if he plays. I truly believe people are reading this situation wrong. Otherwise he's getting (and following) the worst advice someone could possibly get because he's throwing away tens of millions of dollars pretending to be hurt.

I coined the name Kawhichael and saw his potential in the post/midrange before many did. Still think he can be an awesome point forward too. So you could say I'm a Kawhi fanboy but shit just doesn't add up. The Spurs are by far the most conservative team with injury management, resting, etc so if they've said he's been ready to go for about 6 months my brain tells me to believe them. Tendinopathy(?) isn't anything structural, it's probably something you can play with if you really want to--which he doesn't.

Kawhi fired his agent and scoffed at the Jordan shoe deal he was offered (rightfully so). I think he really cares about his brand. He's been rocking his klaw gear for years and has made international tours to promote it. He feels the SA market limits his ability to grow his name/brand, imo.

Capt Bringdown
03-30-2018, 09:45 PM
As a fan, frustrated don't even begin to describe it.
Nothing good has happened since GSW took Leonard out.
The Spurs will never be the same.

SASdynasty!
03-30-2018, 09:59 PM
Yeah no matter what Kawhi does, the Hill trade was a raging success. Either he or Duncan would have won Finals MVP in 2013 if someone could have grabbed a rebound, plus he led the team to 67 and 61 win seasons. No matter what the Spurs won bigtime in taking Kawhi.
Lol, Parker wins FMVP if that ends in 6, no question. Not only stats, but his G1 shot, G5 performance, and the sequence to close out G6 was insane (before scrubs choked it away). Duncan had a massive G7 and may have won it if they win in 7. But Parker wins it no question if they close it out in 6. And lol to Kawhi winning it. Really?

dbreiden83080
03-30-2018, 10:02 PM
The Spurs did not do one single thing wrong in this entire situation from what I have read or seen. People that blame the organization are usually just trolling and looking for excuses that are not there. They are always incredibly careful with injuries. They were careful with him. He was examined by their doctors time and again. He was told that he can play. He won’t. There’s nothing this team or any team could do differently.

dbreiden83080
03-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Lol, Parker wins FMVP if that ends in 6, no question. Not only stats, but his G1 shot, G5 performance, and the sequence to close out G6 was insane (before scrubs choked it away). Duncan had a massive G7 and may have won it if they win in 7. But Parker wins it no question if they close it out in 6. And lol to Kawhi winning it. Really?

I believe Duncan was all set to win finals MVP in 2013 had it ended like it was supposed to in six. It was so close to being over I thought I heard the media had already voted and he had won..

Yep

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/amp/Tim-Duncan-was-one-shot-away-from-a-fourth-Finals-7966615.php

spurs1990
03-30-2018, 10:46 PM

I have to defend Lamarcus Aldridge here. Firstly it’s very much a 'what have you done for me lately' league and LA has been sensational over the last month. I mean it’s inarguable he’s the reason they’re sitting at the 4th seed with an absolute mishmash of NBA talent around him.

Secondarily in his first two seasons the Spurs had incredible seasons.

In 2016 Okc was a tough out. They really should’ve beaten GS and eventually probably be the champs that year.
Everyone recalls some rather questionable calls hurt the Spurs in that series to begin with.

And LA himself had 38 and 41 pts in the first two games of that series. Leonard was hardly exceptional stat wise.

Last year Aldridge unquestionably disappeared during the sweep to GS, but we can’t discount the effect from losing Leonard so suddenly combined with LA having to adjust on the fly to be the man again. Not to mention that GS team destroyed everyone they played including Cleveland. And remember that game six 40 pt win vs Houston? It was Aldridge who straight up dominated that game.

One can go to bat for Leonard and whatever issues he’s having, but to put any criticism at LA’s feet knowing what we've seen from Kawhi is hardly fair.

coachmac87
03-30-2018, 10:54 PM
Nobody expects this guy to be Duncan 2.0 anymore. (his camp actually leaked that tidbit to Jabary Young)

But the fact that certified diva like Aldridge has proven to be more professional about his vocation despite his deep-seated discontent last season speaks volumes about Leonard..

Lamarcus sulked, his effort probably waned, and he looked disengaged at times last year, but he was NEVER a distraction to the team or alienated his teammates..

The sooner Spurfan realizes that Kawhi is not who they thought he was, the better..

There is no silver lining in all of this, but at least the fanbase is mentally prepared for the endgame. We are not that stupid to not see through the subterfuge..

Kawhi and his camp need to decide what they truly want..It blows my mind that his camp would bring up Duncan relationship/Spurs in a negative perspective...” We’re not Duncan”.

Like who wouldn’t want to be like a 5x champ arguably top 5-10 player ever..Is him and his camp about winning or nah? If he wants his due or respect winning is the best/quickest way to earn it...Duncan understood it was all about winning and he was willing to do whatever it took to win..

Kawhi has in the past preached that’s all he wants or cares about..funny all of a sudden that’s not the case..

cheguevara
03-30-2018, 11:07 PM

lol no

Spurs still win without Kawhi

tmtcsc
03-30-2018, 11:52 PM

Technically, we didn't draft him.

Play Boban
03-31-2018, 12:45 AM
Technically, we didn't draft him.
Good point. Shouldn’t have traded him for George Hill, who is better than any other PG on our roster and, unlike Kawhi, actually suits up for games and doesn’t cry.

DAF86
03-31-2018, 04:55 PM

lol son. Duncan had that shit on lock after starting 11 for 11, or some shit like that, on game 6. Shit, Danny Green or Kawhi probably would have ended above Tony.

DAF86
03-31-2018, 04:59 PM
I believe Duncan was all set to win finals MVP in 2013 had it ended like it was supposed to in six. It was so close to being over I thought I heard the media had already voted and he had won..

Yep

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/amp/Tim-Duncan-was-one-shot-away-from-a-fourth-Finals-7966615.php

'14 made me completely forget about '13 but damn, after reading that shit, it brought back some regrets. Timmy would have been all alone on the second place of finals MVP's. It still hurts :cry

DAF86
03-31-2018, 05:01 PM

Yep

"No question" :lmao

dbreiden83080
03-31-2018, 06:21 PM
'14 made me completely forget about '13 but damn, after reading that shit, it brought back some regrets. Timmy would have been all alone on the second place of finals MVP's. It still hurts :cry

I had chest pains and did not sleep a wink after game 6. I screamed out the anger for like 1 hour.. And I don't recall anything about game 7. Blocked it out..

bic50
03-31-2018, 06:44 PM
Liar

bic50
03-31-2018, 06:46 PM
lol no

Spurs still win without Kawhi
Nah

bic50
03-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Good point. Shouldn’t have traded him for George Hill, who is better than any other PG on our roster and, unlike Kawhi, actually suits up for games and doesn’t cry.
Lol

Play Boban
03-31-2018, 07:07 PM
Parker - 6/23 in the closeout games in the 2013 Finals tbh...disgusting.