PDA

View Full Version : Does LDN take his 10M player option next season

phxspurfan
04-01-2018, 09:16 PM
...or does he bolt?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio_spurs/

Only major question I see with the team's current salary #s.

This assumes Gay will take his PO of 8.8M, and so the team's booked salary for next year would allow for adding one or two decent players, or one awesome FA and one scrub.

phxspurfan
04-01-2018, 09:17 PM
*Also assumes we let 2/3 of Kyle, Bert and Forbes walk, as 1-2 of them would likely get some stupid offer like 5-10M. And we replace with equally replacement-level dudes, then just have White/vet min dude replace their spot in the rotation. Also assumes Kawhi is not a steaming pile of shit on the bench or in NYC, and actually plays a role for the Spurs next season (disregarding the possibility of a blockbuster trade, or a crazy nice draft pick that ends up playing a real role).

TheGreatYacht
04-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Also assumes we let Bert or Forbes walk, as one of them would likely get some stupid offer like 5-10M. And we replace with equally replacement-level dudes
Well that shouldn't be so hard. Just go to a local LA Fitness.

phxspurfan
04-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Added Kyle to that list :downspin:

SAGirl
04-01-2018, 09:20 PM
I think he got a new agent with the intention of opting out.

YGWHI
04-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Many factors.

Danny changed his agent. Does the new guy think there is a market for Danny over 10M next season?

Could Spurs offer him a new deal?

If the Spurs really want to trade Kawhi, and Danny leaves...Could they get someone like Bradley?

I'd like Danny to stay.

keithington1
04-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Probably. This hasn't been a great year for him so far. Although he should make an all defensive team for the second straight season. Ha also loves SA. Danny really is a system player. 76ers could use him.

phxspurfan
04-01-2018, 09:34 PM
If the Spurs really want to trade Kawhi, and Danny leaves...Could they get someone like Bradley?

I'd like Danny to stay.

I think the Kawhi thing is going to be a story at least at the end of the season/beginning of FA for PATFO. They will have to decide if they are going to offer him the SuperMax. Then if the offer is extended (or not) and Kawhi is still up in the air, it could cause the FO to look at options for a post-Kawhi Spurs future, like letting Green go and adding Bradley or some other 3-D guy (of which there will be plenty). I also don't think Green will command some stupid amount like in years past, because teams will be saving for the LeBroom/PG sweepstakes.

Dex
04-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Gonna be a weird market next season. Not guaranteed he gets a whole lot more than that, and not sure if it would be worth going to a new situation for him.

That being said...I'm betting he opts out and tries to see what he can get.

tholdren
04-01-2018, 09:47 PM
Added Kyle to that list :downspin:

He played good this afternoon

pad300
04-01-2018, 09:57 PM
I've said it before - there are 6 or 7 teams who have the capspace to put more than the full MLE (8.5 million) in front of a player. As a result, I don't believe that Danny will get an offer worth more than the $10 million he stands to make next year. Taking it will put him in a better FA market the year after... I suspect that in the end, he will opt in.

YGWHI
04-01-2018, 09:59 PM
He played good this afternoon
Agree. He improved this season, it gives him some value in the market. Could the Spurs keep him if they want to re-sign Parker + Danny opts in?

pad300
04-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Agree. He improved this season, it gives him some value in the market. Could the Spurs keep him if they want to re-sign Parker + Danny opts in?

Yes, he's a restricted FA - provided they extend his qualifying offer (& they will it's pretty cheap), the get the opportunity to match any offer Kyle receives.

tmtcsc
04-01-2018, 10:09 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ceb69928e0986105273a3f8d9aec5d4f/tenor.gif?itemid=4440185

YGWHI
04-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Yes, he's a restricted FA - provided they extend his qualifying offer (& they will it's pretty cheap), the get the opportunity to match any offer Kyle receives.
:tu

ElNono
04-01-2018, 10:39 PM

I dunno about cheap for this Danny... $10m is probably around the ballpark, if not a little high

Seventyniner
04-01-2018, 10:39 PM
I've said it before - there are 6 or 7 teams who have the capspace to put more than the full MLE (8.5 million) in front of a player. As a result, I don't believe that Danny will get an offer worth more than the $10 million he stands to make next year. Taking it will put him in a better FA market the year after... I suspect that in the end, he will opt in.

He might take less per year to get the security of a 4-year deal though. Especially if it's the full MLE which isn't a large paycut from the $10M he could opt in to.

ElNono
04-01-2018, 10:41 PM
4-year deal??? :vomit:

Expert
04-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Danny will get offered a lot more than he's worth by some team because he holds the record for 3's in the Finals and because he's a great defender in transition. There are 29 other teams that could use someone like him and are willing to pay. He doesn't make headlines for the wrong reasons and he's liked by Lebron, so he could be considered bait, like Patty Mills for LMA tbh fwiw.

Ice009
04-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Danny will get offered a lot more than he's worth by some team because he holds the record for 3's in the Finals and because he's a great defender in transition. There are 29 other teams that could use someone like him and are willing to pay. He doesn't make headlines for the wrong reasons and he's liked by Lebron, so he could be considered bait, like Patty Mills for LMA tbh fwiw.

I'm pretty sure Curry broke the record when they lost to the Cavs in the 2016 finals.

pad300
04-01-2018, 11:22 PM
I dunno about cheap for this Danny... $10m is probably around the ballpark, if not a little high

No, that's Kyle who's QO is cheap, and is a RFA. Danny opting out would be a UFA (ie we have no matching rights), and his QO is $15 million. Not that the size of the QO really matters, I am sure we are going to be operating above the cap (unless Lebron actually wants to come here and we have to figure out how to make space...).

ElNono
04-02-2018, 12:55 AM
No, that's Kyle who's QO is cheap, and is a RFA. Danny opting out would be a UFA (ie we have no matching rights), and his QO is $15 million. Not that the size of the QO really matters, I am sure we are going to be operating above the cap (unless Lebron actually wants to come here and we have to figure out how to make space...).

gotcha, thanks

Hoops Czar
04-02-2018, 01:07 AM
Depends on if he's a team player like Manu.

BatManu20
04-02-2018, 03:37 AM
He gone.

Chinook
04-02-2018, 04:15 AM
I think both sides would be fine continuing this if it's in their best interests. Like Danny probably opts in if he's looking at significantly less money, and the team probably thinks the salary is fine. Green seems willing to take less to bring in big-time talent, so I think if the team makes the moves necessarily to add an impact guy, Green might take a below-market long-term deal again. Also I still wouldn't rule out an extension, especially if he opts in. Something like a three-year extension starting at $10 Million and decreasing (so $25.2M/3 with the final year only being $2.4 Million guaranteed) That way, Danny gets what amounts to a new $30M/3 deal and the team gets an option for a final year for $5 Million.

Raven
04-02-2018, 06:42 AM
I'd trade Patty and keep everyone else.

adonis827
04-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Trade Pau too if you are RC

cd98
04-02-2018, 02:00 PM
I don't know if there will be a big market for him, though he is a swing defender that can shoot threes and like it or not, that has a lot of value in today's game. But if the money isn't there, it is just as likely he jumps ship for another team that has a better chance of winning a title.

DPG21920
04-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Danny has been an All-Time great Spur and I hope he stays.

cd021
04-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Murray, DG, Kawhi, Anderson, LMA would be a scary defensive unit tbh, love to actually have a chance to see it next season.

cd021
04-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Trade Pau too if you are RC
Gasol is over paid but productive and essentially only has a year remaining after this season. I am fine with him, Mills is a different story though.

spurraider21
04-02-2018, 02:33 PM
depends... if the kawhi stuff blows over and he's committed to the team, then green fits well. but otherwise, no, we need guards that can handle the ball

SpursforSix
04-02-2018, 02:36 PM
depends... if the kawhi stuff blows over and he's committed to the team, then green fits well. but otherwise, no, we need guards that can handle the ball

Sounds like a great excuse for PATFO to extend Parker for 3 @ $15mil per.

spurraider21
04-02-2018, 03:11 PM
:lol

phxspurfan
04-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Gasol is over paid but productive and essentially only has a year remaining after this season. I am fine with him, Mills is a different story though.

IMO Gasol is overpaid but filling the Blair role, i.e. a regular season minutes eating big, who is good enough to lock down the defensive boards against most teams except the elite. For that he is probably worth almost what he makes. But if he was a star big like Drummond etc who can dominate even against the best, he would be paid more. And he's not that, but he is a vet so he got paidd I said

phxspurfan
04-02-2018, 04:24 PM

That's also why I see his contract up in the air until we see Kawhi making progress or not. And at this point that will be in June/July, rather than by some miracle, now.

tmtcsc
04-02-2018, 04:40 PM

No, please...no. He's not even worth that. I wanted him salary-dumped BEFORE his injury. I give him credit for rehabbing and coming back but he doesn't belong in the NBA anymore. I can't imagine any team giving him more than 1 yr contracts at at time. He's slow, done and has no lift. Culture, smulture. The Spurs need better talent at this point.

SpursforSix
04-02-2018, 04:48 PM
No, please...no. He's not even worth that. I wanted him salary-dumped BEFORE his injury. I give him credit for rehabbing and coming back but he doesn't belong in the NBA anymore. I can't imagine any team giving him more than 1 yr contracts at at time. He's slow, done and has no lift. Culture, smulture. The Spurs need better talent at this point.

:pop: he wants to play with me for 20 years. And he's not going to play for free.