PDA

View Full Version : Nba Notes

ducks
10-20-2005, 09:18 AM
NBA NOTES
NBA NOTES

Wire Reports
October 20, 2005

Indiana guard Stephen Jackson believes the NBA's new ban on bling-bling is racially motivated, but says he will abide by the rules.
The NBA has announced that a dress code will go into effect at the start of the season. Players will be required to wear business-casual attire when involved in team or league business. They can't wear visible chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson, who is black, said the NBA's new rule about jewelry targets young, black males because chains are associated with hip-hop culture, and he said the league is afraid of becoming "too hip-hop." In protest, he wore four chains to the Pacers' exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night.

Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce agreed that the new rule targeted young, black players.

"When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that's part of our culture," Pierce said. "The NBA is young, black males."

Pierce said there are times he might not follow the rule.

"I dress how I feel anyway," he said. "I think I'm just going to continue to dress how I feel. I think there's some days I may take a fine."

Collier remembered

Jason Collier's family asked that his funeral service be a celebration of his life, but grieving Atlanta Hawks teammates, as well as former high school and college teammates and coaches, were still struggling Wednesday with the death of the 28-year-old center.

"Jason's untimely death has stunned us," former Georgia Tech coach Bobby Cremins said. "He will always be with us in memory and soul."

Collier, who began his college career at Indiana before transferring to Georgia Tech, played with Houston and Atlanta in a five-year NBA career that ended when he died early Saturday after he had trouble breathing at his home.

Charlotte's new digs

After more than five years of political angst, Charlotte is ready to take the wrapper off a $265 million downtown arena that will be the Bobcats' home.

Mayor Pat McCrory and Bobcats owner Bob Johnson officially will open Charlotte Bobcats Arena at a ribbon-cutting ceremony today. The Bobcats open their home schedule Nov. 5 against the Celtics.

The team played its first season last year at the Charlotte Coliseum -- which opened in 1988 -- and averaged 14,432 fans.