PDA

View Full Version : Playing for Pop

bklynspursfan
04-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Some stuff from Gay/TP/Elliott/Manu/Iverson & more on playing for Pop

Gregg Popovich’s request was not as simple as it sounded, but former Spurs standout Sean Elliott had to interpret the instructions that way.

In one of the earlier shootarounds since Popovich took the helm as head coach of the Spurs, he told Elliott to help on defense in the lane, and then quickly recover to his assignment — defending a shooter in the corner. Elliott heard the order but was a bit perplexed initially.

“I said, ‘Pop, you want me to get to this spot and then get all the way back to that spot?’” Elliott recalled. “He said, ‘Well if you can’t do it, I’ll get somebody else who can.’”
Not wanting to lose his job, Elliott did what he was told. At that point, he understood Popovich wanted this specific defense, no matter the level of difficulty.

“He’s very demanding,” said Elliott. “A lot of guys haven’t had a coach like that.”
Around the NBA, former and current players have similar stories when it comes to playing for Popovich. They explain how assertive the 69-year-old coach is as well as the mandate for effort on defense.

Added former Spurs guard Antonio Daniels: “I’ll tell you this, the thing about Pop that I’ve always loved and respected, he will dress you down in front of your teammates. He’ll dress you down in front of the fans. But his door is always open. And as a player, you respect that.

“Meaning, he’ll say whatever he has to say to you, but if there is anything you have a question on that you don’t understand, that you can’t grasp the concept of, he has an open-door policy. A lot of coaches say they have an open-door policy, but their door is not open. Pop’s door was always open to come in and discuss whatever it may be to avoid getting back to that point of getting dressed down again.”

Rudy Gay recently learned that lesson. After playing a little more than five minutes in the first half in a win over New Orleans, Gay sat the entire second half. The competitor in Gay was upset, but he identified what he needed to do.
The next game, against Minnesota, Gay shot 7-of-12 from the field, scoring 14 points. More importantly, he was solid on defense, tying a season-high four blocks to help the Spurs win.

“He challenges you,” Gay said. “Every second. He demands a lot from you. Some people say it’s tough, but I take it as a compliment. You never want a coach to not care about you. So, you try to take it as a compliment and be as productive as (you) can be.”

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Playing-for-Pop-12798828.php

Play Boban
04-02-2018, 03:51 PM
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THIS BLOWHARD.

spurraider21
04-02-2018, 03:55 PM
just another way spurfan has been spoiled

BillMc
04-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Some stuff from Gay/TP/Elliott/Manu/Iverson & more on playing for Pop

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Playing-for-Pop-12798828.php

Nice insight. Thanks for posting. :toast

I had a job once where my boss claimed there was an open door policy and I could come in and ask any question. The first time I did so and asked my question he said: "You're supposed to know that on your own." I understood then that the "open door" was lip-service and you'd be judged negatively instead of assisted when asking questions.

Good to know that Pop will really help you if you want to learn, better yourself as a player, and get it right.

bklynspursfan
04-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Nice insight. Thanks for posting. :toast

I had a job once where my boss claimed there was an open door policy and I could come in and ask any question. The first time I did so and asked my question he said: "You're supposed to know that on your own." I understood then that the "open door" was lip-service and you'd be judged negatively instead of assisted when asking questions.

Good to know that Pop will really help you if you want to learn, better yourself as a player, and get it right.

:bobo

And yea, lots of people say it but know damn well they don't mean it. Definitely had lame bosses who say it but don't mean it

TheGreatYacht
04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Thank god for Duncan.

SpursforSix
04-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Thank god for Duncan.

Thank god for Robinson's injury.

TheGreatYacht
04-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Thank god for Robinson's injury.
Thank god for Larry Bird

Clipper Nation
04-02-2018, 06:49 PM
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THIS BLOWHARD.

tholdren
04-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Ive always wondered why people in the rec league call and 1 before they shoot and then do not take a foul if they miss the and 1. Pretty stupid. A lot like the nba

duncan2k5
04-03-2018, 06:39 AM
same guy who plays patty mills the most minutes on the team

bklynspursfan
04-03-2018, 07:13 AM
same guy who plays patty mills the most minutes on the team

He's 4th in MPG tbh. And if Kawhi was playing, probably lower.

But yea, this wasn't so much about that lol

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 07:31 AM
I don't like how he's coaching since 2011, esp in playoffs, how he's closing games in last years, how this team is built...It seems like Pop lost his fire.

However, I'm always gonna love the man for what he did for the team and the city in last 20 years.

dbestpro
04-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Pop is a great coach when he wants to be. The problem is all too often he creates distractions that are not necessary causing the team to lose focus, and then he wonders why.

bklynspursfan
04-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Pop is a great coach when he wants to be. The problem is all too often he creates distractions that are not necessary causing the team to lose focus, and then he wonders why.

Examples?

dbestpro
04-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Examples?

Trump, Trump, and uh Trump. ............and any other over the top liberal opinion that he has that has nothing to do with basketball.

bklynspursfan
04-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Trump, Trump, and uh Trump. ............and any other over the top liberal opinion that he has that has nothing to do with basketball.

Ah.. So you think because you have a differing political opinion, that he should 'shut up and coach'

Most times, the media is asking his thoughts on stuff. And I'd be willing to bet the players appreciate what he says and respect him for it. They've said before the 'non-basketball' stuff is the stuff that bonds them, and Pop being so socially aware of other players families, cultures, etc... that they really respect.