PDA

View Full Version : MAVERICKS CAMP from the 19

ducks
10-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Posted on Wed, Oct. 19, 2005

MAVERICKS CAMP

By Dwain Price

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

13 Days to the Mavericks' season opener at the Phoenix Suns, 9:30 p.m. Nov. 1, TNT.

It's official: Bradley gone

The Mavericks waived Shawn Bradley on Tuesday, paving the way for the 7-foot-6 center to announce his retirement.

Bradley played eight-plus seasons for the Mavericks and was the tallest player in the team's history. He had been saddled with nagging injuries in recent years, leading to the mutual decision for him to part ways with the Mavericks.

"We're definitely going to miss him, especially around the locker room," coach Avery Johnson said. "Shawn always had a positive attitude. He won't hurt a fly. He's a good man."

Bradley had three years and $14.5 million remaining on his contract. Owner Mark Cuban has already said he was working on a buyout that would pay Bradley roughly half of that.

Harris shines in victory

Point guard Devin Harris was praised by coach Avery Johnson after the Mavs' 94-88 preseason victory over Detroit on Tuesday at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

"Devin Harris probably had his best day, really, of the preseason, including practices," Johnson said.

Harris finished with 20 points and two assists as the Mavs improved to 3-1.

"I don't think I played that great, but it was just one of those days when I got it going early and continued it throughout the fourth quarter," Harris said. "I got some good looks at the basket and everything was going in for me."

Rookie Rawle Marshall, who attended high school in Detroit and college at nearby Oakland University, hit four late free throws to help hold off the Pistons.

"I'm back at home, so you know I was going to make them," Marshall said. "I was just calm ... and told myself to don't blow the game. It seemed like a storybook ending."

Briefly

Avery Johnson said small forward Josh Howard will play a lot of minutes this season, which is exactly what happened last year when Howard played the second-most minutes on the team behind Dirk Nowitzki. Johnson plans to find out which combination between Jerry Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels and Doug Christie works best when Howard is not in the game.

The Mavs play their first home preseason game Friday night against New York.

20-SECOND TIMEOUT: MARQUIS DANIELS

Q: How comfortable are you after coming off those two injuries last season?

A: I feel comfortable. It's just a matter of me getting my rhythm back.

Q: How difficult was it not being able to be yourself last season after coming off a solid rookie season?

A: It was some trying times. But it humbled me and showed me that this game isn't promised to me every day.

Q: Coach Avery Johnson said he feels like you're a player that should be getting a few triple-doubles, but you need to improve your rebounding skills.

A: I've still got to go in there and get some dirty rebounds. But it'll come.

Upcoming schedule

Friday vs. New York, 7:30 p.m.

Sunday vs. LA Clippers, 6:30 p.m.