PDA

View Full Version : If Kawhi leaves, is Spurs "culture" and Pop to blame??

davi78239
04-03-2018, 06:59 PM
yea yea, 5 championships i get it but that's in the past. Times are different now in this modern NBA and its all about the stars and how they wanna run the show. If this really is the case, i fear no one will wanna come here and play as long as Pop and his "ways" are still present. could be awhile then until we get another "big time" FA to roll in SA.

Chinook
04-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Nah. If Kawhi leaves, Kawhi being bitch-ass would be to blame.

tholdren
04-03-2018, 07:02 PM
yea yea, 5 championships i get it but that's in the past. Times are different now in this modern NBA and its all about the stars and how they wanna run the show. If this really is the case, i fear no one will wanna come here and play as long as Pop and his "ways" are still present. could be awhile then until we get another "big time" FA to roll in SA.

So youre soft like kl? Congrats

davi78239
04-03-2018, 07:04 PM
So youre soft like kl? Congrats

nope, not soft buddy. just saying, might be the difference between getting more ships and not and right now, if we lose this cat (top 5 player) we aint winning shit for awhile.

offset formation
04-03-2018, 07:05 PM

/thread

tholdren
04-03-2018, 07:06 PM
nope, not soft buddy. just saying, might be the difference between getting more ships and not and right now, if we lose this cat (top 5 player) we aint winning shit for awhile.

Oh okay

You limp noodle

davi78239
04-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Oh okay

You limp noodle

bite me. don't be crying when spurs aint winning shit for a good while. you think they're gonna get back equal talent for his ass or better?? shit...

tholdren
04-03-2018, 07:11 PM
im a soft bitch worried about the coach saying mean things to my favorite players

r0drig0lac
04-03-2018, 07:14 PM
regardless of what people think of spurstalk, this is how the players and the rest of the league will see this situation

kaji157
04-03-2018, 07:24 PM

It was pop and the spurs culture what made Duncan stay here, and is a very similar approach, somehow updated but still very similar, what made golden state the powerhouse they are today.
So in reality you have to ask these two questions.

Do you believe Kawhi will be at least as successful as Duncan to change something that worked with and for him and in some way still honors Td?

Do you believe that change had to be towards what Cleveland and Oklahoma and Houston had made with very little success, over what the spurs, golden state and in some way Miami did??

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Culture doesn't win. Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard do.

coachmac87
04-03-2018, 07:30 PM

This.

FkLA
04-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Stars wouldn't come here anyway. The culture and Pop are the only thing keeping us from being another Sacramento, tbh.

r0drig0lac
04-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Stars wouldn't come here anyway. The culture and Pop are the only thing keeping us from being another Sacramento, tbh.

Aldridge, and some posters on spurstalk believe PG13 and Irving wished play in San Antonio for Pop

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Sacramento doesn't have Lamarcus Aldridge.

coachmac87
04-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Sacramento doesn't have Lamarcus Aldridge.

And you don’t own a boat

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't blame SA, nor Kawhi.

There are some SAS moves I don't get...Let Dedmon walk, loyalty-contracts, overpaying useless players in off-season but I don't blame "Spurs culture" at all. That's just Pop losing his fire.

I have no doubt Pop feels more comfortable with olds players like Manu Pau and even LMA that with young guys like Brandon or DJ, who can't blame him for that?
My grandpa doesn't get anything I say...But these guys are pro, they can handle their differences properly.

If the Spurs deny Kawhi the extension and trade him, I won't blame them. I will miss him badly but the Spurs'll be fine.

Like I've always said, there is life for the Spurs without Kawhi and viceversa.

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 07:43 PM
This.
This? What's about the other option? Kawhi doesn't want to leave but the Spurs deny him the extension and trade him. Would you blame the Spurs? I wouldn't.

Like I wouldn't Kawhi for asking an extension.

Players get traded all time, we shouldn't see this like a drama blaming one/other side.

spurraider21
04-03-2018, 07:45 PM
if somebody sat out when able to play in an effort to force himself out*

then he's entirely to blame

*if

coachmac87
04-03-2018, 07:46 PM
This? What's about the other option? Kawhi doesn't want to leave but the Spurs deny him the extension and trade him. Would you blame the Spurs? I wouldn't.

Like I wouldn't Kawhi for asking an extension.

Players get traded all time, we shouldn't see this like a drama blaming one/other side.

But why would they do that?

BatManu20
04-03-2018, 07:49 PM

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 07:51 PM
if somebody sat out when able to play in an effort to force himself out*

then he's entirely to blame

*if

Like a player would lose the chance of getting the first supermax of his career just "to force himself out"

There is no endorsement deal that gives him that much money in any market.

Only way I can see Kawhi wanting to leave if he doesn't get that extension.

This isn't about culture, in today NBA is about money.

dbreiden83080
04-03-2018, 07:57 PM
How is a star supposed to run the show when he won’t even get on the court and play?

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 07:58 PM

Many reasons.

-They cleared him to play but already knew his injury is problematic? This isn't the first time they trade an injured player. It's about business not "culture/family"

-Sadly, there are small markets that can't afford supermax deals. SA could be one of them.

-Pop will retire in one, two years. SAS wouldn't want a supermax contract for the next five years.

-Some LeBron deal in the summer?. Bron already said he won't play for less than the max. Kawhi's supermax and Bron's max in the books in next seasons are too much for SA.

FkLA
04-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Aldridge, and some posters on spurstalk believe PG13 and Irving wished play in San Antonio for Pop

He's the only one, ever. He's a second tier star too. And besides what was the biggest basketball reason why he came here? It wasn't bc of Kawhi's anti-social ass.

r0drig0lac
04-03-2018, 08:47 PM
He's the only one, ever. He's a second tier star too. And besides what was the biggest basketball reason why he came here? It wasn't bc of Kawhi's anti-social ass.

while it's true, how many other stars did the Spurs really try to get to San Antonio since Duncan's draft? they always had 3 stars so I do not think I really had space to chase another real star

tmtcsc
04-03-2018, 08:49 PM
No, autism is to blame.

daslicer
04-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Spurs have never attracted big time free agents outside of LMA and that's not going to change regardless of how the Kawhi situation ends. LMA is the only big time FA the spurs have gotten and that was because he hated playing with Lillard and his baby mama lived here in SA. Anyways I don't believe in allowing a star player to hold a franchise hostage. You make the best moves to make the team better and not to appease your star player. There's not much you can do if you have a PG13 situation where a player is just hell bent on being in a large market.

hater
04-03-2018, 08:54 PM
If he leaves is because he is a bitch ass niga

FkLA
04-03-2018, 09:45 PM
while it's true, how many other stars did the Spurs really try to get to San Antonio since Duncan's draft? they always had 3 stars so I do not think I really had space to chase another real star

Bro, are you seriously forgetting the summer of '03? Fresh off a championship they had a max slot after Robinson retired and they ended up with fucking Rasho, Hedo, and Horry. Their former teams didn't even want them anymore either. Horry was replaced by Malone and Rasho by Olowakandi.

daslicer
04-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Bro, are you seriously forgetting the summer of '03? Fresh off a championship they had a max slot after Robinson retired and they ended up with fucking Rasho, Hedo, and Horry. Their former teams didn't even want them anymore either. Horry was replaced by Malone and Rasho by Olowakandi.

Yup never forget them getting rejected by Kidd, and then Jermaine O'Neal that summer.

Spur|n|Austin
04-03-2018, 10:22 PM

ceds
04-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Spurs culture is the same as Utah

keep it light skin
role player / vet friendly
As many internationals as possible
stash euro's with draft picks

.....we were just lucky enough to land a top 3 player with the 15th pick...we have no choice other then to offer super max

BackHome
04-03-2018, 11:02 PM

Cause they fucking crazy.

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2018, 11:06 PM
Edit: Wrong thread