PDA

View Full Version : Manu is definitely retiring after this season

SpurPadre
04-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Tonight's game, especially in the 4th quarter, clearly signaled the end of Manu's career, tbh. It was more than a "I'm not going out this way, missing the playoffs" type of game. It was a "This is my last season and last regular season home game so I'm even gonna dunk on these boludos" message. Too bad it won't be with him hoisting the LOB...

vander
04-09-2018, 10:29 PM
that is definitely your opinion

MannyIsGod
04-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Tonight's game, especially in the 4th quarter, clearly signaled the end of Manu's career, tbh. It was more than a "I'm not going out this way, missing the playoffs" type of game. It was a "This is my last season and last regular season home game so I'm even gonna dunk on these boludos" message. Too bad it won't be with him hoisting the LOB...

You act like Manu doesn't play like that every single game. This is a shit take, honestly. He may very well retire, but saying that is for sure because he played hard? It's like you've never watched Manu play.

SpurPadre
04-09-2018, 10:32 PM
You act like Manu doesn't play like that every single game. This is a shit take, honestly. He may very well retire, but saying that is for sure because he played hard? It's like you've never watched Manu play.

You're misunderstanding me. Of course I know Manu plays hard every game but tonight, it just looked different. It almost looked like TD's last game against OKC.

TheDoctor
04-09-2018, 11:06 PM

"Shots fired"

https://media1.tenor.com/images/fc7899e99260fc1ee33320a8f745fadf/tenor.gif?itemid=9861559

alpha_HaZE
04-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Very well said! If this season has proven anything, is that Manu can play another year and be a contributor. And at 2 and 1/2 million dollars he would be a steal.

Timmy retired because midway through his last season his good knee gave up. Manu is still healthy and enjoying the game.

tmtcsc
04-09-2018, 11:20 PM

Perfectly said. I was thinking the same thing. Manu would play like that if it was a pick-up game in the park.

HarlemHeat37
04-09-2018, 11:24 PM
It was just a matter of realizing the stakes, at that point..he couldn't afford to take a layup there, their playoffs hopes were on the line against a bottom feeder..it was just a smart, veteran decision..

BillMc
04-09-2018, 11:31 PM
I'd like Manu to return.

SpursBig3s
04-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Manu can play til he's 70 in a wheelchair for all I care... he's the fucking man

Stabula
04-09-2018, 11:39 PM

He actually doesn't play like that every single game...

That's the point of the thread.

wildbill2u
04-10-2018, 12:18 AM
Manu will play as long as it's fun and he personally feels he can contribute. Compare his contributions this year with some of the other bench players. Still fun to watch and still contributing IMHO.

daslicer
04-10-2018, 12:49 AM
Manu can play til he's 70 in a wheelchair for all I care... he's the fucking man

I remember way back in '05 against the Sonics when Nate McMillan who was the coach of the Sonics back then said because of the way Manu plays that he would be in a wheel chair by time he's in his mid to late 30's. Manu at the age of 40 has already defied Nate's prediction.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2018, 12:50 AM
I remember way back in '05 against the Sonics when Nate McMillan who was the coach of the Sonics back then said because of the way Manu plays that he would be in a wheel chair by time he's in his mid to late 30's. Manu at the age of 40 has already defied Nate's prediction.

It wasn't an outrageous prediction, considering his style..people said the same thing about Wade, and he's looked like one of the worst players in the NBA the past 2 seasons..

daslicer
04-10-2018, 12:53 AM
It wasn't an outrageous prediction, considering his style..people said the same thing about Wade, and he's looked like one of the worst players in the NBA the past 2 seasons..

I agree I felt at the time it was a legit prediction that's why I pointed it out how it's amazing despite the way Manu has played that he's still able to be in relative good health at his age.

Spurtacular
04-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Manu should come back. Parker needs to retire.

YGWHI
04-10-2018, 01:00 AM
He actually doesn't play like that every single game...

That's the point of the thread.

He does, he plays so hard every single game. The issue is he doesn't play good every game. A different story.

Anyway...40 years old and he's still our best guard. 16 years being our best guard...Amazing.

SAGirl
04-10-2018, 01:04 AM
weird double post

SAGirl
04-10-2018, 01:05 AM
Manu is a good shooter though (passer too etc he sthe complete player but I think if he wasnt as good of a shooter as he it’s possible his career would have been shortened).

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2018, 01:12 AM
Manu is a good shooter though (passer too etc he sthe complete player but I think if he wasnt as good of a shooter as he it’s possible his career would have been shortened).

He's a good shooter, but it was a question of durability..Manu has battled injuries throughout his career due to his style of play..his skillset was never in question..

Definitely doing something that the NBA would deem "illegal" if they actually cared:lol (they shouldn't care, athletes should be allowed to do anything possible to play at the highest level)..

superbigtime
04-10-2018, 01:35 AM

yes man

Pauleta14
04-10-2018, 02:06 AM
That's just your interpretation.

I'm seeing a man who probably realizes how lucky that his body is still responding and want to enjoy playing as long as he can.

Retirement is like a little death for these guys, why would he stop? (if can keep going)

Dingle Barry
04-10-2018, 02:23 AM
You act like Manu doesn't try to play like that every single game.
Fify. OP is valid.

r0drig0lac
04-10-2018, 07:11 AM

spursistan
04-10-2018, 07:19 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaY-s5lUMAEDtFw.jpg

So much in this picture..Mad damn respect for the legend and fuck that bitch made faggot who sitting it out because he is sore..

MannyIsGod
04-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Wade didn't have Pop protecting his minutes his entire career. I know people love to give Manu credit for going to the bench (and he deserves some) but that move as extended his career a ton as well. As an aside, this is one reason I have problems with Kawhi's bullshit. The proof is in the pudding with how Pop handles his players health.

BackHome
04-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Yeah that why I was suprised at ESPN for going after Pop making him look like the bad guy saying Kawhi is cleared to play. So I guess Pop got a taste of Fake News cause every one knows Spurs are extra protective of injuries.

As far as Manu I think Pop is going to tell him he is only going to coach one more year and will beg him to come back.

gambit1990
04-10-2018, 01:50 PM

TimDunkem
04-10-2018, 03:02 PM
I don't mind Manu all too much. Certainly one of my favorite players ever, but this team shouldn't have to rely on him the way they do. The shooting guard spot needs an injection of youth with Manu taking on the typical vet mentoring role.

Porker on the other hand...Fuck your 20 year career dream clown. You're done. :lol

BackHome
04-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Not a Parker or Mills hatter but for us to improve they both need to go. Keep Manu he can continue to help the young guys as he seems to like coaching and mentoring new players.

cd98
04-10-2018, 03:14 PM
The only way I see Manu returning is if the Spurs put together a team that can win a title. Either that means 100% Kawhi or a trade that puts them back in contention. But if it's a watered-down team like this year, what's the purpose? His goal on taking pay cuts isn't to fight to get to a low seed in the playoffs...it's to win the whole thing. No way to know right now or in the next month what is going to happen with Kawhi.

cd98
04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Sadly, I think Parker is done as a contributor on a title team, at least for anything more than 15 minutes to give players rest. And if the Spurs looked at the market, Parker doesn't get resigned because he isn't worth starter money and he won't accept vet minimum deals, especially after taking pay cuts for years. I do think Spurs honor loyalty more than other teams, but even Pop entertained dumping David Robinson, probably the most important Spur in history in terms of keeping the Spurs in S.A., to get Chris Webber. Fortunately that didn't happen because Robinson deserved to go out like he did in 2003. But Pop tried. Duncan and Manu have been good at their age such that it wasn't tough to bring them back. What will they do for Parker?

boutons_deux
04-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Manu came back because Pop wanted him back, and Manu was convinced that he could still make a contribution.

I figure they will have the same discussion and calculation this summer.

boutons_deux
04-10-2018, 05:06 PM
what a way to run a country, huh?

oligarchy loves it, because the Exec and Congress are fucking up govt and the country as dictated by the oligarchy, while the country is distracted by the orange asshole.

You rightwingnutjob motherfuckers voted this corrupt asshole in, and still support and defend him.

cd98
04-10-2018, 05:13 PM
what a way to run a country, huh?

oligarchy loves it, because the Exec and Congress are fucking up govt and the country as dictated by the oligarchy, while the country is distracted by the orange asshole.

You rightwingnutjob motherfuckers voted this corrupt asshole in, and still support and defend him.

Yep, Manu is definitely retiring.

SASdynasty!
04-10-2018, 06:33 PM
What will we ever do without Manu’s 8.9/2.5 on 43.6%? At least Parker is still the team leader in assists and can shoot a decent percentage and not turn it over 2 times a game.

J/k I love Manu, but the Parker hate is dumb.

Spurtacular
04-10-2018, 06:51 PM
What will we ever do without Manu’s 8.9/2.5 on 43.6%? At least Parker is still the team leader in assists and can shoot a decent percentage and not turn it over 2 times a game.

Have you been watching the games lately? Parker does nothing. He goes station to station and is soundly the weak link in any lineup.

Slippy
04-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Have you been watching the games lately? Parker does nothing. He goes station to station and is soundly the weak link in any lineup.

To be fair to Tony. His form has taken dive since that team meeting. Hes taken alot of heat for rhe 100 times worse comment. Reckon iv read that quote in every kawhi/spurs article bout disharmony within the team . Wonder if all this drama has mentally taken its toll on him. Think hes checked out.

TMTTRIO
04-10-2018, 09:36 PM
I think Manu retires after this season. He came to be on the end of the bench/player coach this season and not one of the top guys we have to rely on so much to help carry this team because he can't consistently do that anymore. He seems to be very frustrated with the Kawhai situation too . Unless things change and we get a group wjere we don't have to rely on him so much I see him retiring . I'm just glad we made it to the playoffs for his last season.

daledondale
04-10-2018, 09:52 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/ok-then.gif

Spurtacular
04-10-2018, 09:56 PM
To be fair to Tony. His form has taken dive since that team meeting. Hes taken alot of heat for rhe 100 times worse comment. Reckon iv read that quote in every kawhi/spurs article bout disharmony within the team . Wonder if all this drama has mentally taken its toll on him. Think hes checked out.

It's been worse lately, but he's been off all season. Perhaps the injury in the Memphis series did him in.

SAGirl
04-10-2018, 10:22 PM
Not sure. I thought he was retiring for sure last year. He may of course, any year now is basically a bonus, but I don't think it is a sure thing in his mind (like it wasn't last year). What happens with the rest of the roster may influence his decision.

DAF86
04-10-2018, 11:29 PM

Parker isn't shooting better than Manu. Manu's true shooting % is significantly better than Tonys.

Tony having more assists than Manu is obvious since he plays PG and Manu plays SG. There are some token assists that PG's get on the Spurs system just by bringing the ball up the court. And even then, Tony only averages less than one more assist per game than Manu.

And lastly, your analysis doesn't take into consideration defense, where Manu is miles ahead of Tony, nor the impact that they have as off ball players, where Tony is one of the worst of the league 'cause opposite teams just stopped caring about him. When Tony doesn't have the ball is like playing 4 on 5. He doesn't provide spacing nor cuts to the basket.