PDA

View Full Version : Should Pop Be Getting Coach of the Year Consideration?

spurraider21
04-10-2018, 12:01 AM
One of the masterful coaching seasons of our time tbh...

We all know that without Kawhi, this was a lottery team

~70% of the cap tied to Kawhi, Gasol, Patty, Tony, and Danny Green

Turned over the keys to a new point guard with serious offensive limitations

Forced to lean on Kyle Anderson to glue the lineup together all year

And got these guys into the playoffs with a chance for home court in the first round :wow

All while battling the serious social issues of our time and taking consistent criticism from the press for doing so

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2018, 12:10 AM
If Pop deserves consideration, so does Nate McMillan, tbh..they've done the same type of job..both teams are horrible without Aldridge/Oladipo, but 45ish win teams with them..

Brown, Casey, Stevens, D'Antoni and Snyder should be the only choices.. I'd probably eliminate D'Antoni, but I don't know how you can choose 1 out of the other 4..

Casey's team changed their entire style of play and unexpectedly got the 1 seed..Stevens is barely affected when 1 or 2 key players are out..most people didn't expect Utah to make the playoffs..Philly has been dominant lately, even without Embiid, they're going to get the 3 seed..

Chinook
No. He may get it anyway, though.

ceds
All good points but LMA has proven he can lead a team to the playoffs a few times now

TheGreatYacht
04-10-2018, 12:12 AM
No. Aldridge leading horrible teams to 4-8 seeds is nothing new but good job leaving him out of your fluff piece.

Crater face cost us more games than he helped get. Horse shit coaching in the 4th throughout the whole season.

offset formation
04-10-2018, 12:13 AM
Well I think most would assume we are a lottery team when Rudy also missed 25+ games. Plus the other injuries to Tony and Danny and with LA fighting a sore knee most of the year, per Pop.

I highly doubt many would expect to still get 47 or 48 wins out of a team like that. Not to mention the headgames that having Kawhi possibly returning for most of the season does to a group. It cost them their cohesion, steady rotations, and camaraderie. Many wins were lost just in the expectation that he was coming back, forget his actual absence.

In short, I blame Kawhi for our shit season. You make $19MM. Get on the court. And if you can't manage that, get your ass on the bench. Show the team you are invested. Let them know you are still a ways out. Be a better teammate. Or fuck off.

So yeah, Pop deserves strong consideration for it, no doubt.

Robz4000
04-10-2018, 12:15 AM
:lmao

SAGirl
04-10-2018, 10:25 AM
No. It's been a challenging season for us fans but I do agree with HH37, there have been more impressive coaching jobs this yr.

MultiTroll
04-10-2018, 10:25 AM
:lmao

MultiTroll
04-10-2018, 10:27 AM
BTW, what is the range of seed we can end up with?
One game to go.

FvckMavs
04-10-2018, 10:30 AM
BTW, what is the range of seed we can end up with?
One game to go.

4-8

Brunodf
04-10-2018, 10:32 AM
COTY for almost missing the playoffs? :lol

Singlehandly costing the team 10+ games with poor decisions? :lol

Players asking to be traded, players asking for starting spots, players asking for minutes :lol

Giving Gasol / Mills contracts based on how much he likes them :lol

The team so called franchise player won't even sit on his bench :lol

Pop has been a shell of his former self for 3 seasons now

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2018, 10:33 AM
No.

/lockthread

cd98
04-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Yes, he should get it for losing so many games with double digit leads in the fourth quarter and then losing on the road to Clippers/Lakers with a 3 or 4 seed on the line?

TheGreatYacht
04-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Players asking to be traded, players asking for starting spots, players asking for minutes :lol

:lol

but, but, "6th in the Weth bitchethzzzzz" :cry

spursistan
04-10-2018, 10:41 AM

This, tbh.. :lol

bklynspursfan
04-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Definitely does deserve some consideration. Aldridge has obviously been great too in carrying them. Pop has been preaching defense and his philosophies/schemes for sure contributed to their success on that end. To finish as a top 3 defensive team without Kawhi is pretty impressive.

The Kawhi drama definitely threw off the team as a whole, but I don't think anyone would've expected the team to be where they are now had we known what this season was going to bring us.

It's also why Aldridge deserves some of Haren's MVP votes

Play Boban
04-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Poop winning it would just be more proof of white privilege tbh.......

Seventyniner
04-10-2018, 10:47 AM
If Pop deserves consideration, so does Nate McMillan, tbh..they've done the same type of job..both teams are horrible without Aldridge/Oladipo, but 45ish win teams with them..

Brown, Casey, Stevens, D'Antoni and Snyder should be the only choices.. I'd probably eliminate D'Antoni, but I don't know how you can choose 1 out of the other 4..

Casey's team changed their entire style of play and unexpectedly got the 1 seed..Stevens is barely affected when 1 or 2 key players are out..most people didn't expect Utah to make the playoffs..Philly has been dominant lately, even without Embiid, they're going to get the 3 seed..

Good breakdown. I would expect Casey to have the greatest chance of winning.

jermaine
04-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Yes an LMA for MVP too!!

Keepin' it real
04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Should Pop be getting coach of the year consideration?

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/22/480x240/landscape-1464604948-enuc4tu.gif

TheGreatYacht
04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
In all honesty it should be Quin Snyder. The media wrote their team off when they traded their media darling/great white hope, and they could still potentially end up with homecourt in the first round of the playoffs.

First playoff team to have a rookie lead the team in scoring since Melo's nuggets.

ginobilized
04-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Quin Snyder has done a tremendous job and I feel like Utah could do some damage in the playoffs

My argument for Pop as COTY is who could’ve gotten this far with this roster? I can’t even think of anyone historically that could’ve salvaged this season with so little talent and so much drama and injuries.

hater
04-10-2018, 11:39 AM
no coach should get COY if their team is barely qualifying

SpursforSix
04-10-2018, 11:45 AM

And got these guys into the playoffs with a chance for home court in the first round :wow

All while battling the serious social issues of our time and taking consistent criticism from the press for doing so

I would put him in consideration EXCEPT that he played a major part in putting himself in that situation.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Pop has been awful this season. The fact that he is getting any consideration shows you how shitty the state of the league is right now.

apalisoc_9
04-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Yeah he is gonna get votes. His trump rant was materful.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2018, 12:11 PM
He's going to get a lot of votes, even in a crowded race, because of their success without Kawhi(which isn't deserved IMO)..unfortunately, it will be at Aldridge's expense IMO..LMA should be 3rd in MVP behind Harden and LeBron, but he probably won't(hopefully the voters actually do their research)..

UNT Eagles 2016
04-10-2018, 12:14 PM
It's got to be Brett Brown

DAF86
04-10-2018, 12:22 PM
His in game coaching and roster decisions are overrated as fuck, but his defensive system is GOAT, imho.

TD 21
04-10-2018, 06:38 PM
:lmao I'd go: Casey, Snyder, Stevens, McMillan, Brown.

D'Antoni has no business receiving any consideration. Anyone could have 2 all-time play makers either pick people apart in P-n-R, with pristine spacing or if the defense switches, have 2 all-time ISO scorers go to work.

Morey shouldn't receive any consideration for EOTY either. Paul forced his way their, then convinced 2 of his buddies to accept less to join him.

Leetonidas
04-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Fuck no. So many more Ws we could have if he pulled his head out of his ass and actually played lineups that made sense and not give loyalty minutes to trash players

Arcadian
04-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Mmmm....I'm gonna say no.

I see both sides of it, so I won't give a douchebag ":lol" response, but I do actually agree with the ":lol" sentiment. His rotations have generally been terrible, and he's made mistakes that cost the team several wins.

If anything, Aldridge is who you should be saying "got us to the playoffs." Always credit players before coaches. They're the guys who are actually on the court making things directly happen.

tbdog
04-10-2018, 07:46 PM
I think Pop deserved consideration. But I think LMA deserves more consideration for mvp votes. The fact that both won't get consideration is the biggest issue I have with the league and media. The same system that allowed Draymond to win dpoty and TD to never win one.

Drom John
04-11-2018, 10:27 AM
And the NBA Awards Go To ... (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4/11/17221416/nba-awards-picks)

Results: Dwane Casey (3), Quin Snyder (2), Brad Stevens (2), Gregg Popovich (1)

lmbebo
04-11-2018, 11:10 AM
I'd say Pop deserves COY consideration, just as LMA does. Neither will or should win, but should be recognized.

Keepin' it real
04-11-2018, 11:18 AM
I'd say Pop deserves COY consideration, just as LMA does. Neither will or should win, but should be recognized.

LMA is one helluva coach, you're right about that.

baseline bum
04-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Seems like you're making a more convincing argument for PATFO to get Worst Executives of the Year consideration.

lmbebo
04-11-2018, 11:50 AM
LMA is one helluva coach, you're right about that.

meant, LMA for MVP consideration. :rolleyes

phxspurfan
04-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Not at all. It should go to the Jazz or Raptors coach.

dbestpro
04-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Pop did not help the Spurs this year. If anything he was a distraction. Manu on the other hand, has played basketball with more heart than any player of that age, ever.

spursistan
04-11-2018, 09:28 PM
People who have Poop in their COTY listt:lmao..

That horrendous capitulation in the Final game should tell you something about his candidacy..Dude can't coach the team to a road win if his life depended on it..

Haven won on the road since February 25th, ffs....

davidbowie
04-11-2018, 09:29 PM
sure why not

only behind brown

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2018, 09:38 PM
OP didn't even have the balls to defend this shitty ass take :lol

SuperCam
04-11-2018, 09:39 PM
MSNBC Coach of the Year maybe

Arcadian
04-11-2018, 09:40 PM
....yeah, no

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2018, 09:43 PM
MSNBC Coach of the Year maybe

OP's coach of the year cares more about rhinos than whether the Spurs will play Portland or Houston in the first round :lmao

How much is craterface getting paid? I'd fire the drunk slob tonight.