PDA

View Full Version : Bust Forwards

ducks
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Bust Forwards
Bust Forwards

by Court E. Mann - Associate Editor, Fanball.com
Thursday, October 20, 2005
With the fantasy hoops season directly on our horizon, I know you'd just love to have that crystal ball to peer into the regular season and discover who among your list of capable forwards is about to ruin you. Well, last year in this spot you were warned about disappointments such as Kenyon Martin, Peja Stojakovic, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, and Michael Finley. Excuse me while I sprain an elbow patting myself on the back, but that's not too shabby a track record; so tune in or risk building your team around these frontcourt flops.

Drew Gooden, CavaliersIt's pretty difficult to go from sleeper to bust in one season, but when your front office adds three significant offensive weapons—one of whom plays the same exact position—it's definitely feasible. Gooden, a former lottery pick, styled fantasy owners with a sweet campaign that featured 14.4 points, nine rebounds, one steal, one block, 49 percent shooting, and 81 percent foul shooting. Now, however, Larry Hughes brings his career 15-point average (and 22 per game last year) to Cleveland, as does power forward Donyell Marshall, who directly threatens Gooden's minutes. Drew can still help your squad, but lower your expectations because there are quite a few cooks in this kitchen.

Jermaine O'Neal, PacersWhen healthy, there's little debate that J.O. is one of the best players in fantasy hoops. The problem is that I don't quite remember when that last was. O'Neal missed half of last season with a severely sprained right shoulder, and he rushed back to risk further damage on it for the Pacers' playoff run. In addition, he came into last season with knee and foot concerns, and already is missing preseason action with a bruised right quad. I'd love nothing more than to see him playing at full strength for months on end, but until then, he belongs on this list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Vince Carter, NetsAdmittedly, Vince was an absolute monster after arriving in New Jersey, but the honeymoon always ends. It's not only human nature; it's also Vinsanity's nature. And even if his attitude stays positive, let's not forget about the injuries. Forty-three games played in 2002, 60 games played in 2001, 50 games played in 1998. And while everyone seems to be worried about whether Richard Jefferson will find his with Carter shooting, why isn't anyone talking about how Carter's share will suffer now that Jefferson is back? I could envision spending a third-round pick on Vince, but it'll never happen because someone else is always willing to roll the dice before I am.

Antoine Walker, HeatMiami has plenty of chefs as well. We've seen Walker play third or fourth fiddle for a couple teams in recent years, so we at least know what to expect. On a loaded Dallas roster in 2003 and in Boston's playoff run to finish 2004, Walker's scoring fell considerably from his career 20-point level, as did his rebounds, steals, and threes. With Shaq and Dwyane Wade doing most of the damage in South Beach, you simply aren't going to see the 20 points, nine boards, five dimes, and two threes per night. However, 14 points, eight boards, four dimes, 1.5 threes, and a steal—with better shooting percentages mind you—aren't all that bad at the appropriate time of the draft.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, KingsImmediately after signing with the Kings, I had penciled in SAR for a spot on my sleepers list. But Rick Adelman is spouting out some serious cooky talk about Kenny Thomas keeping his starting job at the four, in addition to some ill-conceived idea about using Shareef at the five with Brad Miller coming off the bench. It wasn't that long ago that Abdur-Rahim was being moved to the three to accommodate Zach Randolph. That experiment failed, as will any attempt other than putting Shareef in the block for 35 minutes and using him as your primary post weapon. Until I see that happening, the former third-round fantasy stud can't climb up my cheat sheet.

Grant Hill, MagicI want Hill to remain a fantasy force, but unfortunately I just don't see it happening. Hill finally had the bounceback season we'd been waiting for since 1999 with averages of 20 points, five boards, three assists, 1.5 steals, an astounding 51 percent shooting rate, and 82 percent from the line. And yet while it was a dream season, he still only managed 67 games and had to shut it down early. Second-year beast Dwight Howard is going to need a lot more than last year's eight shot attempts per night, relegating G-Hill to third fiddle status behind Franchise and D-How. And when everything has to go right health-wise for you to fall just shy of 70 games, you know you're hanging by a thread. I'm rooting for Hill, but I'm also a realist.

Quentin Richardson, KnicksQ-Rich is perhaps the easiest selection for this dubious directory. If Phoenix is where fantasy ballers go to bust out, New York is where they go to, well, bust. Virtually all of Q's value came in a Suns offense in which Steve Nash fed Richardson wide-open three after wide-open three. Not only does Larry Brown sit opposite the offensive spectrum from Mike D'Antoni, but wait until Larry gets a load of one of Q's ill-advised chucks. Fourteen points and five boards won't take you all that far, especially when it comes with a 40 percent shooting clip (at best).