PDA

View Full Version : Young: Some execs feels Spurs will not offer supermax and will part ways

TD 21
04-15-2018, 03:34 PM
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Sources-Leonard-still-not-cleared-by-his-12836007.php

Some league executives believe the Spurs will receive plenty of phone calls about Leonard's status this off season, with the feeling the team will not offer a five-year, $219 million extension, but yet part ways with Leonard.

apalisoc_9
04-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Trade time :tu

A

pad300
04-15-2018, 03:41 PM
I suspect they are right. How can you offer the supermax to a player who hasn't been healthy for a year, has no clear diagnosis, and no expected return date?

TheGreatYacht
04-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Free Kawhi from this shit hole please

He'll make the money up in sponsorships when he becomes the face of the Lakers. Smart move by his uncle to turn down that $20M from Jordan

boutons_deux
04-15-2018, 03:45 PM
I suspect they are right. How can you offer the supermax to a player who hasn't been healthy for a year, has no clear diagnosis, and no expected return date?

more than a year, he's been hurt every season with Spurs, including with that bum leg, chronic, a real tragedy

tbdog
04-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Imagine is Leonard's group/uncle actually loses him more money due to the way they have handled this? There must been a better word than irony for greedy puppet masters.

objective
04-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Local media scrubs openly pushing the narrative that Kawhi won't be back is like papal smoke at the Vatican.

The decision has been made.

spursistan
It is actually become a no-brainer if you add the baggage that has come out in the last few weeks.

He has had 9 plus months to take to the court and yet he sill couldn't. What are they supposed to do? Double-up those 19 millions with zero guarantees he wouldn't sit again in the future..

SAGirl
I would not be suprised. I don't think you can offer him the supermax... first of all, assume it's true he has this chronic degenerative condition. He has managed it separately from the medical staff and Pop is really tired of it. It definitely shows. It will continue to be an issue going forward, because the condition will recur ( he has had it in the past). It's something that will need to be managed from now on. And that is assuming it's not a career ending situation (which is the worst possible scenario for obvious reasons).

offset formation
04-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Imagine is Leonard's group/uncle actually loses him more money due to the way they have handled this? There must been a better word than irony for greedy puppet masters.

CGD
04-15-2018, 03:59 PM
And he PR battle starts

CapitalEmm
04-15-2018, 04:05 PM
PATFO needs to wash our hands of this scrub.

Kawhi about the be the poster child for mental illness in the #metoo era anyway.

SAGirl
04-15-2018, 04:06 PM
At least one WC executive (from GSW?, it doesn't say) thinks it would be a mistake to let him go so we will just have to see. It's obvious they won't get enough value for him (if he's not healthy).

"It would be a mistake," one Western Conference league executive told the Express-News when asked about the possibility of the Spurs trading Leonard.

dabom
04-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Other exec's trying to cause drama and swoop in. :lol

04-15-2018, 04:07 PM
#HeGone

04-15-2018, 04:08 PM
At least one WC executive (from GSW?, it doesn't say) thinks it would be a mistake to let him go so we will just have to see. It's obvious they won't get enough value for him (if he's healthy).CIA PATFO just trying to keep his trade value in tact

elbamba
04-15-2018, 04:10 PM
I would say that the Spurs could use that 20 million on a players(s) that better serve our needs but right now I think they might extend Anderson and Forbes. Now that is a scary thought.

bic50
04-15-2018, 04:19 PM
PATFO needs to wash our hands of this scrub.

Kawhi about the be the poster child for mental illness in the #metoo era anyway.
What?

Raven
04-15-2018, 04:20 PM

He'll make the money up in sponsorships when he becomes the face of the Lakers. Smart move by his uncle to turn down that $20M from Jordan

It really isn't, the market only matters when you're like everyone else. Kawhi isn't.

spurraider21
04-15-2018, 04:21 PM
who the fuck cares what other league execs think :lol... all that matters is what PATFO thinks

BSfromTX
04-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Question: assume kawhi has been playing fine this year (same as last). Who believes the spurs offer the Supermax?

I would not be surprised if Pop asks KL to take less and that a supermax would be crippling.... and that would be ironic considering recent contracts to Mills and Gasol. If that were the case, it would easily explain all of this. I just have a hard time believing spurs offer that size of a contract, but I certainly could be wrong

baseline bum
04-15-2018, 04:23 PM
So the Spurs are going to offer him the supermax to not show up to games for another year? Not seeing it, the bitch is gone.

LakerHater
04-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Balls in Kawhi's court now!
Spurs will offer the Super Max, upto him to accept.

weebo
04-15-2018, 04:28 PM

And hopefully your stupid ass will go with him :lol

phxspurfan
04-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Those execs are probably right

RD2191
04-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Kawhi's insane! Who wouldn't want to play with fatty mills and pau gasoft?!?

offset formation
04-15-2018, 05:07 PM

So, steal $19MM, sitting on the bench?

Pick one, moron. Either hes injured or ass hurt about the roster. Choose so you ride it all the way down with his sinking reputation.

RD2191
04-15-2018, 05:11 PM
So, steal $19MM, sitting on the bench?

Pick one, moron. Either hes injured or ass hurt about the roster. Choose so you ride it all the way down with his sinking reputation.

He's injured. Injuries are a part of the game. Kawhi isn't holding out. Only idiots like yourself believe that.

keithington1
04-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Kawhi is a superstar admittedly but we can get potentially get 3 stars for him. I'm at a crossroads with Kawhi

offset formation
04-15-2018, 05:14 PM
He's injured. Injuries are a part of the game. Kawhi isn't holding out. Only idiots like yourself believe that.

Hmmm, ask his group.

Yeah, I'm on my own in that. You're daft.

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2018, 05:14 PM

:clap

Can't wait till PATFO gives Porker a 3-year extension & the Pop nuthuggers have to age through a Pau/Fatty/Porker lineup:hat

Clipper Nation
04-15-2018, 05:15 PM
And watch the guy who gave them those loyalty contracts take all the credit for wins :lol

Darius Bieber
04-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Lottery team here we come!

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Balls in Kawhi's court now!
Spurs will offer the Super Max, upto him to accept.

He's going to pull a Blake

Ditty
04-15-2018, 05:18 PM
I think Kawhi could of handled the situation a bit better when it comes to not leaving the fans in the dark for the most part. Spurs need to offer him the super max, unless Boston, LA or Philly offer them three or more assets. Two of them
being players.

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2018, 05:22 PM
It is actually become a no-brainer if you add the baggage that has come out in the last few weeks.

He has had 9 plus months to take to the court and yet he sill couldn't. What are they supposed to do? Double-up those 19 millions with zero guarantees he wouldn't sit again in the future..

It would be dumb for PATFO not to offer him the supermax since there are plenty of teams that will take on his contract. If they don't offer him the max then he's basically an expiring contract that some middling teams will be apprehensive about trading for since there is not guarantee he will resign.

Pat Riley rubbing his hands ready to pounce on this if he's made available......dude gave Whiteside a max contract:lmao

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2018, 05:23 PM
I think Kawhi could of handled the situation a bit better when it comes to not leaving the fans in the dark for the most part. Spurs need to offer him the super max, unless Boston, LA or Philly offer them three or more assets. Two of them
being players.

The same fans shitting on him.........:sleep

acoelho1
04-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Offering the Supermax is a no-brainer as long as Kawhi wants to remain a Spur. No trade will get us a top 3 player so if he declines, make him play his final year and work on repairing whatever issues the 2 sides have with each other. This year has been massively disappointing and frustrating but I think all sides including the fans will gain a better perspective in the offseason.

tbdog
04-15-2018, 05:51 PM
If Spurs believe he will return to close to what he was last season, which was arguably the best player in the league, then 100% worth a super max offer. Heck, Cousins will get a max offer from Pelicans and his injury is devastating for bigs.

TheGreatYacht
04-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Kawhi doesn't owe you unloyal faggots a damn thing. All of you wanted Aldridge traded and now you lick his dick tip. I've even heard some of you fatasses demand he takes a paycut :lmao a paycut so the team can pay GLeague and Fathead or what?

Emperor
04-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Lottery team here we come!

More like lottery pick instead.

TheDoctor
04-15-2018, 05:57 PM
#DabomGone

I agree.

hater
04-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Glad that pussy in dreads is gone tbqh

Mute cancer

coachmac87
04-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Kawhi doesn't owe you unloyal faggots a damn thing. All of you wanted Aldridge traded and now you lick his dick tip. I've even heard some of you fatasses demand he takes a paycut :lmao a paycut so the team can pay GLeague and Fathead or what?

Call posters unloyal yet you call players names that play on “your” team... oh wait you’re a “player” fan:lol

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Call posters unloyal yet you call players names that play on “your” team... oh wait you’re a “player” fan:lol

Group-think sheep:sleep (nothing but a butt hurt abandoned herd: "baaaaaaha, baaaaaaaaaaaha")

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2018, 06:09 PM

There are the equivalent of a fat housewife who got bitter when the husband wanted a divorce..........actually, that's all the women in SA:wakeup

itzsoweezee
04-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Kawhi probably feels he's injured, but not joining his teammates to "continue his rehab in New York" is mind boggling. Rehab for what, next season? He can't do that in San Francisco or after the playoffs? Here's burned his bridges, and as a result, he's going to miss out on a super max contract and off to a lesser organization. Besides everything else, he's got bad judgement and bad people guiding him.

Budkin
04-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Depressing as fuck.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Just wait it out and make him return next year. Don’t get bullied into a stupid trade like the Cavs did. He does not really have leverage. He has to play next year if he wants to get paid.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2018, 06:16 PM

I would say since he made $19 million this season he owed his team a genuine effort. That didn’t happen.

HI-FI
04-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Kawhi probably feels he's injured, but not joining his teammates to "continue his rehab in New York" is mind boggling. Rehab for what, next season? He can't do that in San Francisco or after the playoffs? Here's burned his bridges, and as a result, he's going to miss out on a super max contract and off to a lesser organization. Besides everything else, he's got bad judgement and bad people guiding him.
Yep, his uncle has had a Yoko Ono effect on this. I don’t blame Kawhi if he’s tired of Pop, or maybe he’s legit injured, but he’s handled this whole thing very poorly, perhaps because of bad advice.

jimbo
04-15-2018, 06:26 PM
Local media scrubs openly pushing the narrative that Kawhi won't be back is like papal smoke at the Vatican.

This. Spurs PR arm already getting on top of the story.

SAGirl
04-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Question: assume kawhi has been playing fine this year (same as last). Who believes the spurs offer the Supermax?

I would not be surprised if Pop asks KL to take less and that a supermax would be crippling.... and that would be ironic considering recent contracts to Mills and Gasol. If that were the case, it would easily explain all of this. I just have a hard time believing spurs offer that size of a contract, but I certainly could be wrong
no need to even ponder since this is a complete alternate reality scenario.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2018, 06:29 PM

I’m sorry he was wronged by the organization somehow? Pretty sure we won over 60 games last season and he was top three MVP candidate. Also pretty sure they were all set to make him a ridiculously rich man with that Supermax extension prior to all of this bullshit. Not sure exactly how the Spurs did him wrong?

UZER
04-15-2018, 06:30 PM
To keep the trade value up, the Spurs will fall on the sword and say they told him to stay away so he looks less like a head case.

objective
04-15-2018, 06:34 PM
To keep the trade value up, the Spurs will fall on the sword and say they told him to stay away so he looks less like a head case.

I could see that happening but from 'sources' out of San Antonio. If Pop was on board with the farce he would have already been saying it.

duncan2k5
04-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Kawhi NEEDS to be offered the supermax... If he takes it, that shows he DID want to be here like he said...

If spurs don't offer him the money, not only would that be an insanely bad idea since they gave Gasol and Mills a lot of money...

If they don't give him the money, then that may be what causes him to not accept an extension, which would then lead to a trade... We KNOW he is worth the supermax when healthy

tholdren
04-15-2018, 07:37 PM
And hopefully your stupid ass will go with him

hater
04-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Fuck the pussy in dreads

If hes still a spur by next September I will personally log off this website and join lakersground

DPG21920
04-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Kawhi NEEDS to be offered the supermax... If he takes it, that shows he DID want to be here like he said...

If spurs don't offer him the money, not only would that be an insanely bad idea since they gave Gasol and Mills a lot of money...

If they don't give him the money, then that may be what causes him to not accept an extension, which would then lead to a trade... We KNOW he is worth the supermax when healthy

He’s not healthy. He’s saying he has a medical issue that doctors basically can’t see or handle which means how can you believe he will get healthy

BSfromTX
04-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Supermax is a crap load of money and a big stranglehold on cap space. If he’s 85-100% over the course of the contract , then cool... BUT if he’s often injured or worse, drags out a couple years before becoming career ending, then that is really worst cas scenario than losing him now

pad300
04-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Fuck the pussy in dreads

If hes still a spur by next September I will personally log off this website and join lakersground

This saga is really starting to have silver linings. We could be rid of both hater and dabom!

BackHome
04-16-2018, 12:30 AM
YES

MaNu4Tres
04-16-2018, 12:37 AM
Supermax is a crap load of money and a big stranglehold on cap space. If he’s 85-100% over the course of the contract , then cool... BUT if he’s often injured or worse, drags out a couple years before becoming career ending, then that is really worst cas scenario than losing him now

It's a crap load of money when Pop decides to tie up 28 million per on two players who can't even stay on the floor when it matters for 3-4 years.

They better try to fix those two dumbass decisions tbh..

objective
04-16-2018, 01:20 AM
I don't think Kawhi even takes a supermax.

Should the Spurs offer one? Only if it's not fully guaranteed and has a games played triggers throughout.

It should be like Embiid's contract. Specific injuries equaling 25 games missed would give the Spurs an out. Embiid's stipulations cover his feet and back, Kawhi's needs to cover his quads, his eye, and his feelings.

Just like Embiid, if it's an unrelated injury, like a broken wrist, those games missed don't count against him.

Stabula
04-16-2018, 01:52 AM
Trade him for any strong young talent as well as picks. Some teams will empty their pockets for a Kawhi Leonard but they'd be absolute fools to do it. He's done as a superstar and thanks to his tendinopathy his prime is already over at 26. Kawhi next year will be like Tony Parker after 2013 and will only get worse from there.

vander
04-16-2018, 02:19 AM
Trade him for any strong young talent as well as picks. Some teams will empty their pockets for a Kawhi Leonard but they'd be absolute fools to do it. He's done as a superstar and thanks to his tendinopathy his prime is already over at 26. Kawhi next year will be like Tony Parker after 2013 and will only get worse from there.

One year of rest/rehab didn't even get him back on the court, how can anyone rationally expect him to ever be even 85% again? And tendinopathy is there forever, could flare up again any time.

Supermax has to be out of the question. Spurs would be lucky to get Tatum/lotto pick for Kawhi now. IMO

duncan2k5
04-16-2018, 03:49 AM
He’s not healthy. He’s saying he has a medical issue that doctors basically can’t see or handle which means how can you believe he will get healthy

That SPURS doctors can't see... They aren't the only docs in the world... Nor are they the best... Or else they wouldn't be sports doctors (unless ur an idiot that thinks the best doctors work for sports teams)

duncan2k5
04-16-2018, 04:17 AM

No... Worst case scenario is him rushing back to prove a point to dumb fans and Tony Parker... Then injuring himself worse... THEN be bogged down for years with the supermax and an injured player... Let the guy heal

Kawhitstorm
04-16-2018, 07:25 AM
I would say since he made $19 million this season he owed his team a genuine effort. That didn’t happen.

Since he got misdiagnosed AGAIN, Pop-A-Bitch owes him an apology:sleep

YGWHI
04-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Before all this drama I said that I doubted the Spurs would offer a player a super-max in the future.

The rule was made for small markets to keep their superstars, sadly there are markets that can't afford these type of contracts. I guess SA in one of those teams.

YGWHI
04-16-2018, 08:25 AM

Exactly :tu

This explains why Pop knowing that Kawhi traveled with Spurs personnel/what's his situation still said "ask him and his group", Parker/Manu comments, and the rest of the drama.

Everyone knows that a trade is coming

dbreiden83080
04-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Assuming that is remotely true. Number one pop is not a doctor, and number two how does a misdiagnosis that never required surgery equal him missing the entire season? People with far more serious injuries are coming back.

cd98
04-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Option 1: Sign super max and hope Kawhi lives up to it and if he is unhappy, trade him after a year (or however long you have to wait to trade a player after signing to super max). When you have him on a multi-year deal, you can get a king's ransom from another team that has loaded up on assets.

Option 2: Trade him without the supermax, but Kawhi will have say in where he goes because he has an opt out and can re-sign somewhere else for the max and he'll have his choice of suitors. That means teams that think they can get him in a year will pay less and teams that take a chance will pay less. Then it will be hard to maximize his value, but they won't have to risk giving him a super max and have him still be injured and still not play and tank his market value.

DJR210
04-16-2018, 09:47 AM
If he gets traded I hope to god our fans don't go bitch made and cheer for his ass at his first return in another jersey.. If this is how his Spurs legacy ends, he's dead to me IMO.. We need to channel our inner Philadelphia

acoelho1
04-16-2018, 09:53 AM
No... Worst case scenario is him rushing back to prove a point to dumb fans and Tony Parker... Then injuring himself worse... THEN be bogged down for years with the supermax and an injured player... Let the guy heal

Just curious. What happens if he's not ready to go by next year? Would you be ok with him missing significant time again or perhaps another season. Whatever is ailing his quad seems pretty abnormal and I assume it's possible that he will never get 100% on it if that is his goal before he plays again. He clearly has looked impressive during workouts per reports that have come out so where is the end game to this issue. There has still been no timetable on him getting back to full health. Whether that's this week, next month or 6 months. I don't recall an injury prognosis so elusive in all my time watching sports.

I think everyone is frustrated by this injury and although you disagree, it has been communicated poorly by the Spurs organization and Kawhi. Whether you think it's warranted or not, the fans are upset, which I believe could have been easily remedied by providing more detail on the issue. Nevertheless, I still think he should get a supermax this summer and the organization needs to repair any issues with the relationship.

YGWHI
04-16-2018, 09:53 AM
If he gets traded I hope to god our fans don't go bitch made and cheer for his ass at his first return in another jersey.. If this is how his Spurs legacy ends, he's dead to me IMO.. We need to channel our inner Philadelphia

I would say that no one expects a "Thank for the memories" video from the Spurs neither :lol

BackHome
04-16-2018, 10:27 AM
The Spurs always keep medical issues of players close to their vest. He’ll Pop scares half the media from even asking any intelligent questions regarding team. This is all on Kawhi camp if Kawhi is to scarred to talk he should hire someone who can do it for him. I was suprised at how long it took the media to start turning on Kawhi for not talking or playing.

YGWHI
04-16-2018, 10:34 AM
This is all on Kawhi camp if Kawhi is to scarred to talk he should hire someone who can do it for him. I was suprised at how long it took the media to start turning on Kawhi for not talking or playing.

I guess his guys aren't that worried. The media reporters/journalists they hear, still give Kawhi support. I doubt a group from MoVal would listen Skip Bayles/Jeff Van Gundy...

boutons_deux
04-16-2018, 10:45 AM
How does insurance work for a player with a multi-year, chronic injury if injury ends his career before contract is over?

Is there a "pre-nup" so the team can be protected from a non-playing player?

Vito Corleone
04-16-2018, 10:46 AM
If the Spurs are forced to trade Kawhi they need to blow this whole team up and go full on Philadelphia and rebuild through the draft.

I'm okay with a few years of lottery play if it will create a better team than what we have.

The Spurs still have a lot of assets they can move to either move up in the draft or gather extra draft picks. Parker and Manu are the last guys left on the glory years but they are worth more to me than Kawhi is at this time.

And Laker fan shouldn't be too quick to say Kawhi is going to be the face of your franchise. Do you really want a guy with zero personality in the Hollywood media market? He isn't Magic or Kobe, he is not built to handle the big stage and will be in personal hell there. You will find that if he can't handle San Antonio, he can't handle the scrutiny that will come in LA, especially when you discover how much he benefited from being in the spurs organization and having Tim Duncan by his side.

How many players have excelled in San Antonio only to flounder when they left. I hope the Spurs do give him the super max and then trade him, we will get more in return.

SpursforSix
04-16-2018, 11:00 AM
How does insurance work for a player with a multi-year, chronic injury if injury ends his career before contract is over?

Is there a "pre-nup" so the team can be protected from a non-playing player?

BigInsurance always finds a way out which gives BigPATFO carte blanch to screw the Human American Fans who continue to get suckered in to paying to watch.

Spurs are fucked and unfuckable.

YGWHI
04-16-2018, 11:12 AM
The Spurs still have a lot of assets they can move to either move up in the draft or gather extra draft picks.

Do you mean a lot of assets that other teams would want to sign?

Only if you think there are teams desperate for getting DJ Murray Danny Green Patty Mills Bryn Forbes Pau Gasol on their teams...

offset formation
04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
You think Utah would trade Mitchell for him?

I know the salaries are way mismatched and other stipulations would have to be made, but I would trade just DM for KL were I able.

Seems like a good spot for KL. Even less media attention and a smaller market. And it's cold so it will help his injured quad stay chilled. And maybe being in the mountains will be good for his emotional side too...:flipoff:flipoff

Reeko_Htown
04-16-2018, 11:50 AM

That won't happen. Teams will line up to offer him a max. Players don't really lose money in this league unless they actually suck on the court. See Isiah Thomas and his choice to play through an injury. I'm pretty sure that's the reason Kawhi isn't playing.

InRareForm
04-16-2018, 12:01 PM
If he is traded in the offseason, how does it work with that team wanting to offer an extension? how much can it be?

DPG21920
04-16-2018, 12:06 PM
That SPURS doctors can't see... They aren't the only docs in the world... Nor are they the best... Or else they wouldn't be sports doctors (unless ur an idiot that thinks the best doctors work for sports teams)

Bruh - he’s been with his team for well over 2 months now. Are you calling Kawhi a liar? Because when he did his last interviews, that was AFTER he was on HIS doctors program and at that point he said he was close. Yet under their care, with no surgery needed, after Kawhi said he was close, he’s still never got cleared? That was with 20 games left in the REGULAR season and he’s still not ready?

Maybe it’s his doctors that don’t know what they are doing? Or did Kawhi lie? Because if one is “close” then not returning when there were 20 games left means you lied, you had setbacks (which he blamed SA’s doctors for, why not blame his) or it’s like I said and MANY doctors can’t figure it out.

DPG21920
04-16-2018, 12:08 PM
If he is traded in the offseason, how does it work with that team wanting to offer an extension? how much can it be?

If the Spurs trade Kawhi, the SuperMax (219M) is forever off the table for Kawhi. If he’s traded, he can sign an extension for roughly 180M. If he’s not traded, and does not get the SuperMax and instead hit’s free agency to sign with another team he can sign for roughly 145M.

offset formation
04-16-2018, 12:15 PM

Question. Did he get misdiagnosed after he was sat for the GS series? Because he came into the season after 5 months of rest. How much rest does he need?

FvckMavs
04-16-2018, 12:17 PM
If the Spurs trade Kawhi, the SuperMax (219M) is forever off the table for Kawhi. If he’s traded, he can sign an extension for roughly 180M. If he’s not traded, and does not get the SuperMax and instead hit’s free agency to sign with another team he can sign for roughly 145M.

All for 5 years?

Spursmania
04-16-2018, 12:40 PM
This all sucks...

DPG21920
04-16-2018, 01:32 PM
All for 5 years?

bklynspursfan
04-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Only thing that worries me is it's been documented that money isn't a big deal to him. Im sure it's important to a degree, and maybe he's getting influenced by others, but if he wanted to be elsewhere, I could see the $ not being an issue.

DPG21920
04-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Only thing that worries me is it's been documented that money isn't a big deal to him. Im sure it's important to a degree, and maybe he's getting influenced by others, but if he wanted to be elsewhere, I could see the $ not being an issue.

Who knows. I think this is all about money actually. Kawhi might not be interested in money with regards to off the court stuff and doing all that takes to truly cash in, but basketball money? He took the max extension already the first time and I think this SuperMax is important to him.

He didn’t want what happened to IT to happen to him and he’s not risking a damn thing (which is understandable and not the issue to me)

r0drig0lac
04-16-2018, 01:58 PM

exact, for all that has been said about Kawhi, the money will probably have a smaller weight than some posters (those who think he is not with the team because they have relationship problems, or worse, faking an injury) think.

Trill Clinton
04-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Kawhi made the statement about money before his child was born. Don't get it twisted, he definitely is trying to get paid and secure a future for his family.

DPG21920
04-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Kawhi made the statement about money before his child was born. Don't get it twisted, he definitely is trying to get paid and secure a future for his family.

Yup

spurraider21
04-16-2018, 02:08 PM
yeah who the hell can secure a future for his family with 140 mil

DPG21920
04-16-2018, 02:10 PM
yeah who the hell can secure a future for his family with 140 mil

:lol You know that is not how people think though. You go based off of what you are worth and what you value. It’s pretty clear Kawhi is not Tim/Manu/TP. He’s not about the “Spurs”, he views this 100% as a business.

Doesn’t seem to care about building relationships with his team, the FO, he wants to work go home and get paid.

objective
04-16-2018, 02:13 PM
I can buy that Kawhi might not be all about the money

But the other people in his life? The ones who have influence on him, large or small?

Just like with any other athlete, entertainer, inventor, lottery winner, etc, they might be more into the money than him

BSfromTX
04-16-2018, 02:50 PM
the best sports doctors work for sports teams

Exactly. Teams that pay players over 100m per year surely could scratch out another 3-5M to have the best doc all to themselves and look after their assets

acoelho1
04-16-2018, 03:07 PM
I obviously don't know KL personally but he's been a very unselfish player since he's been with the Spurs. He never pumps his fist and always credits the team for their success. I truly believe he thinks he is injured and the actions by the organization suggest that he should be playing. Clearly if they felt he was truly injured, the communication coming out from the Spurs would be a lot different. It seems obvious by Pop's comments that it's those individuals around Kawhi that are influencing his decision making, which has created this rift. Let's hope for a happy ending and I definitely don't want him to be traded. He is generational type talent in my opinion so you offer the supermax and hope he excepts it. If not, ride it out for another year and try to mend the relationship. We can still do a sign and trade down the line unless he's ok with leaving millions on the table.

cd98
04-16-2018, 03:22 PM

I'm not sure that is true. I mean, if money was no big deal, why didn't he sign with Jordan/Nike? Maybe he's not a big spender, but I don't think you casually walk away from $36 million dollars.

Plus, I'd bet his relatives would like that $36 million if Kawhi didn't want it.

TD 21
04-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Right now, I'm leaning toward NO. I don't think they will offer it until they see him on court again. (Could be similar to Aldridge extension, if it happens it will be toward the end of the pre-season)...

I don't think Kawhi even takes a supermax.

Should the Spurs offer one? Only if it's not fully guaranteed and has a games played triggers throughout.

It should be like Embiid's contract. Specific injuries equaling 25 games missed would give the Spurs an out. Embiid's stipulations cover his feet and back, Kawhi's needs to cover his quads, his eye, and his feelings.

Just like Embiid, if it's an unrelated injury, like a broken wrist, those games missed don't count against him.

:tu

wildbill2u
04-16-2018, 06:56 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a FO in such a terrible place with a superstar. Even Cleveland, when LeBron wanted to leave for Miami, had some idea of what was going on, even if they couldn't stop it or find a good deal to make. You can't sign and trade a guy who won't play and who claims he has a serious injury.

FireMicoHalili
04-16-2018, 07:55 PM
They’ll probably part ways. Relationships are obviously too strained. I just hope he and his group know what they’re doing. It’s sad if he wants to leave the Spurs because of their small market. Players always have the choice to ask for a trade as much as teams can openly trade their players. I wish he had the guts to do so instead of messing up the team dynamics by keeping them waiting. Missing work because of an injury which clearly isn’t there says a lot about his professionalism. Teams will throw money at him til they realize he’s always going to bolt for another team by forcing their hand, not by asking a trade from them.

BackHome
04-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Dude all ready got paid 20 million to play 9 games and hang out in New York yeah what boss in what world would then say "Well He'll Let's Give This Guy A New Super Max Deal". Fuck that you can't count on him you can't communicate with him just get over and do a trade.

spursistan
04-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Dude all ready got paid 20 million to play 9 games and hang out in New York yeah what boss in what world would then say "Well He'll Let's Give This Guy A New Super Max Deal". Fuck that you can't count on him you can't communicate with him just get over and do a trade.
It is absolutely unheard of :lol..

"Go get your ass back on court son, and then we can talk"..This should be message, and that isn't even what I consider hardball tactic.

04-18-2018, 12:24 AM
It's been hard to distinguish what's real with the media fanning the flames. But honestly, with Leonard not with the team supporting his teammates and possibly Parker and Manu's last appearances in the playoffs, I think that is very telling. There is a rift between Kawhi and the team. Maybe Pop will smooth things over during the offseason. Maybe not.

It's time to come to terms that a Kawhi trade is a real possibility. Spurs will most likely lose in this situation since they are not going to get a top 3 player in return.

Kawhitstorm
04-18-2018, 12:27 AM
Assuming that is remotely true. Number one pop is not a doctor, and number two how does a misdiagnosis that never required surgery equal him missing the entire season? People with far more serious injuries are coming back.

Yeah, not getting surgery means the injury is less severe than getting a meniscus shaved...ever heard of tennis elbow? :sleep