PDA

View Full Version : Spears: Expectation is Gay will opt out and Spurs will have interest in re-signing

TD 21
04-19-2018, 03:30 PM
https://theundefeated.com/features/spurs-rudy-gay-relishes-return-to-postseason-2018-nba-playoffs/

The expectation is that he will opt out of his contract to become a free agent this summer. The Spurs are expected to have interest in re-signing him.

KDKSpurs24
04-19-2018, 03:32 PM
And the curse continues.

Chinook
04-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Yeah, most of my projections have him getting either a two-year non-Bird deal with another PO or a three-year non-Bird deal with about half his third-year salary guaranteed.

rjv
04-19-2018, 03:33 PM
spurs will have to address the kawhi situation before anything else gets done.

spurraider21
04-19-2018, 03:35 PM
the guy barely played 20 mpg when kawhi missed the whole season. why would they want him back?

TheGreatYacht
Don't blame him for opting out. Horrible to see a scrub like Cancerson start over him.

DeRozan m8
Why would he want to come back?

Doesn't get the minutes he deserves and has to play with scrubs

Also second option behind Anderson....absolute fucking disgrace

NASpurs
04-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Where careers come to die but still gets paid.

Has the stench of the loyalty variety.

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Hopefully he opts out, Spurs need to raise their standards during this retool period..stop building around slow-paced mid-range shooters who don't create for others..

Fully expect him to return to SA, though..

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-19-2018, 03:37 PM
I think Rudy is getting healthier every day. I'd support him staying a Spur.

Forbes, Anderson, Gasol, BP, Parker, King Joff...those six need to be replaced on the roster.

cd98
04-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Gay had a good season here except for his injury. I wouldn't mind him being re-signed as a scorer off the bench, but whoa can he not play defense. For a guy that is as crazy athletic as he is, it appears he jumps high, but doesn't move his feet quickly. He got destroyed by Durant.

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2018, 03:38 PM
I think Rudy is getting healthier every day. I'd support him staying a Spur.

Forbes, Anderson, Gasol, BP, Parker, King Joff...those six need to be replaced on the roster.
Forgot Danny.

Truth4sale$
04-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Same as Paul Gasol last year, it would be to help the team. I think Gay wants to win, or else he would have kept his contract last year with Sacramento. He played limited minutes because it takes a while to come back from devastating injury, and sometimes you are never the same, ex Tony Parker or Isiah Thomas. Watch how good Demarcus Cousins will be next year. This is why Kawhi is being cautious.

TD 21
04-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Yeah, most of my projections have him getting either a two-year non-Bird deal with another PO or a three-year non-Bird deal with about half his third-year salary guaranteed.

Said when he signed, that the player option was basically insurance, in case he fell off a cliff or suffered another major injury. Since neither happened, it makes sense to opt out, since he should be able to recoup the MLE (which will be slightly higher this year) for another few years.

It's also good for the Spurs, since it increases their flexibility.

elemento
04-19-2018, 03:40 PM
RJ II

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Forgot Danny.

Yep, my bad.

Green, Forbes, Anderson, Gasol, BP, Parker, King Joff.

Keepin' it real
04-19-2018, 03:46 PM
I like Rudy, but ...

Why keep an old, slow, injury-prone player? The Spurs need younger, faster guys with 3 point range. (Not Forbes either!!!)

Unless the Spurs are unable to sign young guns, I'd pass.

Mugen
04-19-2018, 03:47 PM
We'll see whats crumbs he gets after Porky's big bite this summer tbh.

MoSpur02
04-19-2018, 04:07 PM
I've been really happy with how Rudy has been playing lately.

bklynspursfan
04-19-2018, 04:23 PM
the guy barely played 20 mpg when kawhi missed the whole season. why would they want him back?

I think because he was eased in from not playing a whole season early on, then had another injury , he could never gradually get his MPG up. But like he played 37 mins in game 2, (game 1 no one hit 30 cause it was over earlier) but if he was resigned, I definitely think his minutes will increase next year. Especially now that they see he has recovered nicely from his injury.

phxspurfan
04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
He's a reliable veteran scorer at a key position, but is not super young anymore. So it all depends on price. How much will be cost when he hits free agency

John B
04-19-2018, 04:53 PM
He signed to a contender. Spurs need to be one first

Seventyniner
04-19-2018, 05:12 PM
We never really got to see how he would mesh with Kawhi and now it's likely we never will. I don't mind keeping him as a designated bench scorer but him leaving wouldn't break my heart.

tholdren
04-19-2018, 05:21 PM
When anderson goes will sa girl?

TheRemix
04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
I liked his play this season. I'd take him back for the right price. If kawhi was playing, him and rudy would've done some damage at the sf spot

jermaine
04-19-2018, 05:51 PM
I pray we resign Rudy. I've always like him an I think he's proved himself

daslicer
04-19-2018, 05:52 PM
He's tough minded I have liked how he's battled Draymond in this series.

raybies
04-19-2018, 06:01 PM
He's tough minded I have liked how he's battled Draymond in this series.
yeah, i'd definitely take him back as well.

and to touch on him not playing much, there was an article in today's paper that he's been asking Pop to play him more but Pop said he was "Paranoid," and basically was being conservative...

If he could handle around 28 minutes per game with the same per 36 he'd be a great piece to keep. He's been as efficient as he's ever been and he's finally starting to understand our defensive schemes and just playing much much better on that end of the floor. Silly fouls are reducing and his positioning has been a lot better. Still no lockdown defender by any means, he's still a problem with his length. If Kyle can be considered an above average defender there is hope for Rudy...

I just think you start him no matter what next year should he come back. The dude can still score... Imagine if he had a wing like Kawhi next to him or someone that could score and defend..

raybies
04-19-2018, 06:04 PM
He's a reliable veteran scorer at a key position, but is not super young anymore. So it all depends on price. How much will be cost when he hits free agency
I think Patty and Pau set the precedent.. Shorter contracts = more money, Longer contracts = more spread out. I think he'd be at about 12-14 per year on a 2 year year deal, third year option.

phxspurfan
04-19-2018, 06:13 PM
I think Patty and Pau set the precedent.. Shorter contracts = more money, Longer contracts = more spread out. I think he'd be at about 12-14 per year on a 2 year year deal, third year option.

12-14 per seems reasonable for a veteran scoring SF. Danny, by comparison, probably isn’t worth that and will likely need to take a pay cut to stay with the team IMO

MoSpur02
04-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Thanks to Kawhi we never really got to see what it would have looked like starting Gay at the next to Aldridge. I front line of Gay, Leonard, and Aldridge would've have been nice to see.

gospursgojas
04-19-2018, 06:39 PM
If it’s comes down to Danny or Rudy. Rudy all the way.

Chinook
04-19-2018, 06:51 PM
We never really got to see how he would mesh with Kawhi and now it's likely we never will. I don't mind keeping him as a designated bench scorer but him leaving wouldn't break my heart.

The issue is you have to replace him if he goes, which could eat up an MLE that could have gone to fill another hole. The Spurs are capped at just about $10 Million a year for a new deal. Any length of contract at that APY is good enough for me. I don't see any reloading scenarios that don't include Rudy coming back to be the third/fourth option.

Chinook
04-19-2018, 06:52 PM
12-14 per seems reasonable for a veteran scoring SF. Danny, by comparison, probably isn’t worth that and will likely need to take a pay cut to stay with the team IMO

I wouldn't touch Gay with cap space. If he wants more than the NB max, he's gone.

objective
04-19-2018, 07:04 PM
He probably can't get more than MLE anywhere else.

Seventyniner
04-19-2018, 08:07 PM
The issue is you have to replace him if he goes, which could eat up an MLE that could have gone to fill another hole. The Spurs are capped at just about $10 Million a year for a new deal. Any length of contract at that APY is good enough for me. I don't see any reloading scenarios that don't include Rudy coming back to be the third/fourth option.

That's fair, he's enough above average to be worth using as a minutes sponge at the very least, assuming he can handle a bigger workload next season.

There's a lot of moving parts this offseason. Is there a chance the Spurs won't use the full MLE because of tax implications? Like re-signing Green/Gay/Anderson, and Parker taking a modest paycut (to $6M or so).

raybies
04-19-2018, 08:19 PM
hefty paycut imo.. dude was worth more when he signed the deal but then proceeded to play like the contract was too big to live up to lol talk about premature ejaculation at it's finest

raybies
04-19-2018, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't touch Gay with cap space. If he wants more than the NB max, he's gone.
oh didnt realize he has a max he can make here... come to think about it you mentioned that last offseason. good for us then.

Dverde
04-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Spurs have to keep his minutes down, he isn’t used to playing this late in the season.

CGD
04-19-2018, 08:43 PM

The Pau

ElNono
04-19-2018, 09:18 PM
I like Rudy... I mean, if I were to pick where the Spurs spend their money, I rather they pay him than Forbes, Danny, Patty, Pau, Fathead or Joff.

offset formation
04-19-2018, 09:29 PM
oh didnt realize he has a max he can make here... come to think about it you mentioned that last offseason. good for us then.

Well when you subtract the 25 games he missed and limited minutes, hes just now reaching peak-Gay for this season.

Edit: meant to quote the other post by Dverde about limiting Gay's minutes.

tholdren
04-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Well when you subtract the 25 games he missed and limited minutes, hes just now reaching peak-Gay for this season.

Edit: meant to quote the other post by Dverde about limiting Gay's minutes.

Hes average at best

offset formation
04-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Hes average at best

He's a plus player on the right team. He just can't be the lead option when Aldridge is off the floor. And 9f course, he was never intended to be. I'm looking at you Kawhi.

Chinook
04-19-2018, 09:55 PM
That's fair, he's enough above average to be worth using as a minutes sponge at the very least, assuming he can handle a bigger workload next season.

There's a lot of moving parts this offseason. Is there a chance the Spurs won't use the full MLE because of tax implications? Like re-signing Green/Gay/Anderson, and Parker taking a modest paycut (to $6M or so).

The team could well threaten the tax and thusly not use the MLE. We're only really talking flexibility at all if the team trades Kawhi, Pau or Mills. Just bringing the band back together could cost a ton.

Chinook
04-19-2018, 09:56 PM
The Pau

Yeah, though it's not bad in this case with Gay being younger.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-19-2018, 10:50 PM
We'll see whats crumbs he gets after Porky's big bite this summer tbh.

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2018, 11:01 PM
Gay is so bad, tbh:lol his positive plays stand out on a team full of shitty offensive players, but he's also trash..

alpha_HaZE
04-19-2018, 11:02 PM
It would be nice to bring him back along with Kawhi. Rudy has played very well for us this year. On a side note, I wish he didn't try to dunk the ball every time he is near the basket. That has caused him to miss many, otherwise easy, baskets.

If Kawhi returns, I like our team.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Another one who can't shoot.

tholdren
04-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Gay is so bad, tbh:lol his positive plays stand out on a team full of shitty offensive players, but he's also trash..

Like what positive plays? The 1 for 5 on three? The shitty falling down? The airballs? Dude is typical tall guy that can dunk and looks better than he is bc he gets transition buckets. Vet min. Or walk.

TDomination
04-19-2018, 11:08 PM
I would like Rudy back. I believe that if he was actually in his intended role with our intended roster it would've been a nice complement off the bench.

Unforuntalety EVERYONE was asked to do more than they should have because of our main player going AWOL.

ElNono
04-19-2018, 11:09 PM

He looks like an AllStar next to the Forbes and Fatheads of the world, tbh

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2018, 11:11 PM
He looks like an AllStar next to the Forbes and Fatheads of the world, tbh

Spurs need to raise their standards..I don't mind Gay as a bench piece, but they need real starters..

Just because a player looks capable in comparison to other trash on the roster, doesn't mean he's worth much..like Simmons, for example, another shitty player who looked good compared to other trash(and has shown his real worth in Orlando)..

venitian navigator
04-19-2018, 11:33 PM
he is over 30 and with a bad injury just last year. He played decently but not as good as worth a big money deal...expecially in a dry market and after a season where he didn't play all games. He could receive the mid level for some years from some other team...but probably could receive the same or more from us after a full year next year in a better team like I hope we should be...so, for different reasons from Green, I hope he opts in...

Spurtacular
04-20-2018, 12:09 AM
Signing Gay only makes sense if Kawhi returns, tbh.

BackHome
04-20-2018, 12:49 AM
I agree he is a good bench player who I would rather give money to then Green, Forbes, Anderson, Paul, Joffrey, and Bertans. As far as the above mentioned they can be let go or traded maybe keep Bertans I don’t think he clicks with Pop for some reason. We need starter players I am not talking All Stars but good decent players that can do the norm - dribble the ball (Green), shot from outside (Anderson) play defense (Forbes) rebound (Bertans)

ElNono
04-20-2018, 12:50 AM
Spurs need to raise their standards..I don't mind Gay as a bench piece, but they need real starters..

Just because a player looks capable in comparison to other trash on the roster, doesn't mean he's worth much..like Simmons, for example, another shitty player who looked good compared to other trash(and has shown his real worth in Orlando)..

Don't necessarily disagree, but with the albatross contracts of Mills and Pau we're limited, and beggars can't be choosers, tbh

Chinook
04-20-2018, 03:57 AM
Only issue with Gay for me is that he was really expensive as a "risk" guys like Rose, Beasley, Jeff and Gerald Green and Rondo in addition to quite a few others were available for really cheap deals, and they could have provided some much-need offensive fire power. Gay on his own was more interesting and possibly better than the these guys, but it's debatable, and it's damned sure is considering the money.

If Pop is going to get rid of a bunch of guys but not tank, he needs to bring in some of these guys (or rather guys like them). Some may bust, but some probably won't. The main buyout market was a dub this year, and that had a lot to do with this early min-season. If the main force of the team returns next season, Pop is going to need to give the guys vet competition for rotation spots and not just some UDFAs and two-way guys.

r0drig0lac
04-20-2018, 06:53 AM

offset formation
04-20-2018, 07:24 AM
I would like Rudy back. I believe that if he was actually in his intended role with our intended roster it would've been a nice complement off the bench.

Unforuntalety EVERYONE was asked to do more than they should have because of our main player going AWOL.

This cannot be stated strongly, or written boldly, enough.

Exposure happens when not properly covered. Kawhi's absence was the equivalent of stripping the clothes right off of everybody, except for Aldridge. He had his best year, perhaps of his career. When only one player (along with perhaps Manu not being fully exposed) rises to the occasion, that should underscore that the roster was never intended to function this way.

Simply put, you build the team differently if you know Kawhi isn't going to show up.

Ice009
04-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Only issue with Gay for me is that he was really expensive as a "risk" guys like Rose, Beasley, Jeff and Gerald Green and Rondo in addition to quite a few others were available for really cheap deals, and they could have provided some much-need offensive fire power. Gay on his own was more interesting and possibly better than the these guys, but it's debatable, and it's damned sure is considering the money.

If Pop is going to get rid of a bunch of guys but not tank, he needs to bring in some of these guys (or rather guys like them). Some may bust, but some probably won't. The main buyout market was a dub this year, and that had a lot to do with this early min-season. If the main force of the team returns next season, Pop is going to need to give the guys vet competition for rotation spots and not just some UDFAs and two-way guys.

I was interested in all those guys, especially Green when I found out he was cut, but I have no idea why the front office didn't at least get 1 or 2 of them on cheap deals. The front office sucks.

Once I find out the Kawhi story, I really want to see who is in the wrong. If Kawhi wants to leave because the roster sucks, then I don't blame him. I could have done a better job with the roster. I never would have re-signed Mills and I sure as fuck wouldn't have re-upped Gasol for 3 years. I would would have given him a 1 + 1 deal (2nd year only half guaranteed), take it or leave it. I also would have tried to get Dedmon and Simmons back on reasonable deals if they were interested.

SAGirl
04-20-2018, 09:07 AM
He was ok, not great, and missed 25 games. He also was on a deal that's fair considering production but is not a bargain. There were many veteran players that went for less last summer that panned out about the same and some were better as Chinook said. Ejem Tyreke Evans. I hope the team doesn't bring everyone right back. They are going to have to pick up some new gambles.

As for Rudy, I could see him back. I think he fit in personality and Pop values the culture and personality a lot so...

pad300
04-20-2018, 09:22 AM
I'm with chinook on this. I would be fine if they resign him using non-bird rights (or he opts in), he has been decent with flashes of pretty good. This pretty much implies we would be operating in an above cap environment. I wouldn't touch the MLE for him, IMO, that has to be used to upgrade our terrible guard play. If we have cap, presumably we have renounced Rudy and have a much bigger target in mind - the only way we would spend cap-space on him is if we make cap and other options fail to sign.

r0drig0lac
04-20-2018, 09:41 AM
I was interested in all those guys, especially Green when I found out he was cut, but I have no idea why the front office didn't at least get 1 or 2 of them on cheap deals. The front office sucks.

Once I find out the Kawhi story, I really want to see who is in the wrong. If Kawhi wants to leave because the roster sucks, then I don't blame him. I could have done a better job with the roster. I never would have re-signed Mills and I sure as fuck wouldn't have re-upped Gasol for 3 years. I would would have given him a 1 + 1 deal (2nd year only half guaranteed), take it or leave it. I also would have tried to get Dedmon and Simmons back on reasonable deals if they were interested.

same here

stu scotts eye
04-20-2018, 05:44 PM
There's a lot of worse players to bring back then Gay. Don't complain about his shots last game when our offense as a whole was sh1t all game and season.

I hate fathead, gasol, and danny green when he dribbles. Especially fathead. Dam regular season rotational player tops.

Him and Aldridge are the only ones who can score above 20 pts at any point.

Kawhitstorm
04-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Hopefully he opts out, Spurs need to raise their standards during this retool period..stop building around slow-paced mid-range shooters who don't create for others..

Fully expect him to return to SA, though..

Good luck retooling w/ GaSoft/Fatty's contract eating up the cap space:wakeup

james evans
04-21-2018, 07:08 AM
yeah Lebron is coming here. In 2022 for $15 million a year.