PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mike Budenholzer may be available this offseason

Brunodf
04-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Coach Bud would be a good replacement tbh. He's already meeting with teams, so if Pop leaves this season , the Spurs shouldn't wait too long to contact him.

1 - Bud demeanor/personality suits this new generation of players...

2- He's very smart and has proven that he can run a team on his own

3 - Already familiar with the Spurs management

4- He's nice but isn't a pushover and will demand players to play hard

Source : https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249623/Mike-Budenholzer-Withdraws-From-Suns-Coaching-Search

Thoughts?

baseline bum
04-20-2018, 11:56 AM
I don't think Pop is going to walk away while under contract, which extends through next season.

Brunodf
04-20-2018, 11:58 AM
I don't think Pop is going to walk away while under contract, which extends through next season.
I don't know man, the death of a spouse can change people...

baseline bum
04-20-2018, 12:03 PM

I'd put the odds of landing Kawhi + LeBron this summer about an order of magnitude above the odds Pop walks away from a contract he signed.

TDomination
04-20-2018, 12:14 PM
I'd like bud to come back as top assistant again with the notion that he will be the head coach once pop retires

alpha_HaZE
04-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Coaching is a young's man sport, Pop is significantly older than the vast majority of NBA coaches. It would be great if he were to move back into the front office and let someone younger and more importanly hungry lead our team.

TheGreatYacht
04-20-2018, 06:24 PM
Sell the farm for Budenholzer and Presti.

cd98
04-20-2018, 06:24 PM

Ive known lots of people that are older in their profession quit after their wife dies.

Dverde
04-20-2018, 07:26 PM
Ive known lots of people that are older in their profession quit after their wife dies.

Plus he still has USA Basketball coaching duties.

coachmac87
04-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Sell the farm for Budenholzer and Presti.

Oh the guy that got fired? And the other who lost TWO MVPs??

Damn you’re a fucking idiot

8FOR!3
04-20-2018, 07:43 PM

On the flip side it helps some to stay active. It just depends on how Pop handles and deals with it.

TheGreatYacht
04-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Oh the guy that got fired? And the other who lost TWO MVPs??

Damn you’re a fucking idiot
Budenholzer didn't get fired you retarded faggot. I bet your fat momma is ashamed of you, middle school coach.

Ice009
04-20-2018, 09:31 PM
I didn't hear about Bud getting fired? Is he still under contract with Atlanta?

Robz4000
04-20-2018, 09:34 PM
I didn't hear about Bud getting fired? Is he still under contract with Atlanta?

He is, but I think both are ready to part ways with each other. After the racist incidents with Danny Ferry and that FO representative, as well as the owner selling the team, I think the Hawks are looking to completely clean house and start anew.

K...
04-20-2018, 09:45 PM
pop and lebron won't tolerate a racist coach,

Ice009
04-20-2018, 09:47 PM
He is, but I think both are ready to part ways with each other. After the racist incidents with Danny Ferry and that FO representative, as well as the owner selling the team, I think the Hawks are looking to completely clean house and start anew.

I think it went downhill about a year after Danny Ferry got fired. Luol Deng sucked, so it's kind of a good thing they didn't get him. I also think Bud went there to work with Danny, as I assume they were friends when they were with the Spurs, so that probably didn't work out the way that he wanted it to. Yeah, I think Bud wants out of there at this point.

Do you guys think Ferry should have gotten fired? I didn't read all the comments, so I'm not sure how bad they were. Was it justified?

coachmac87
04-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Budenholzer didn't get fired you retarded faggot. I bet your fat momma is ashamed of you, middle school coach.

It ain’t looking good bruh..if it was this thread wouldn’t have been made..

spursistan
04-25-2018, 09:11 PM

Official..I would take Bud back as lead assistant with promise to take over from Pop.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2018, 09:12 PM
He'll go to New York or Milwaukee..

SpurPadre
04-25-2018, 09:13 PM
Come back, Bud!

AFBlue
04-25-2018, 09:14 PM
He's gonna be in line for a head coaching gig, but if he somehow loses out and Messina bolts then it's a natural fit.

Spurtacular
04-25-2018, 09:24 PM

It won't make one iota of difference in this case, tbh.

Uriel
04-25-2018, 09:38 PM
He's gonna be in line for a head coaching gig, but if he somehow loses out and Messina bolts then it's a natural fit.
:tu

Brunodf
04-25-2018, 11:34 PM
If Pop retires, he should be the obvious choice tbh

John B
04-26-2018, 07:17 AM
I think Ime and Messina are gone. But I think Pops is grooming Becky just by reading what he says about her publicly. I don’t know how hiring Bud back suits well with that. I like Buds stock knowledge and demeanor, but will see how it unfolds.

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2018, 10:35 AM
He should go to Milwaukee IMO..

Drew Bledsoe only has 1 year remaining and they'll let Jabari Parker go if ownership can eat the L..the coaching bar is low, wouldn't have to do much to impress after Kidd and Prunty..

DaBears
05-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Come on back Bud, this ship is sinking faster than the Titanic.

DMC
05-01-2018, 06:05 PM
If Pop doesn't insist he's replaced by a black coach, he doesn't have a hair on his balls.

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Jackson to Kerr part 2..

slick'81
11-09-2018, 12:18 AM
Was hoping spurs could get him back after things fell apart in atl.great hire for mil

phxspurfan
11-09-2018, 12:25 AM
...as Milwaukee shits on the Dubs on national TV

r0drig0lac
11-09-2018, 06:26 AM
...as Milwaukee shits on the Dubs on national TV

a lot of athletic and versatile players who can not be destroyed in defense with 34-35% of 3pts are far more valuable than guys who can shoot 40% of 3pts but can not defend anyone at all, guys like Midletton and Prince are the perfect prototype of perimeter player in this league now.
and logically, Bucks has a basketball player with legendary athletic level and one of the most unique biotypes in the basketball history, who happens to be also good at playing basketball

spurs50_
11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Does he play rookies?

Spurs da champs
11-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Does he play rookies?

Yup and he fouls when up by 3 or more in late game situations.

8FOR!3
11-09-2018, 12:21 PM
I mean yeah if Pop had Giannis our upside would be a lot higher too...

Spurs da champs
11-09-2018, 12:29 PM
I mean yeah if Pop had Giannis our upside would be a lot higher too...

What Bud did his 1st year in Atlanta was impressive, especially considering the talent on that team.

Bud understands today's game much better than Pop.

8FOR!3
11-09-2018, 12:47 PM
What Bud did his 1st year in Atlanta was impressive, especially considering the talent on that team.

Bud understands today's game much better than Pop.

looking at the roster that team had enough talent to be where they ended up that year. I have no doubt that his coaching was and is impressive. I don’t believe he understands today’s game better than Pop. Pop is doing the best with the personnel he has. I disagree with him on some things for sure but I don’t think Bud would do quite as well with our current roster as Pop has

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2018, 12:50 PM
looking at the roster that team had enough talent to be where they ended up that year. I have no doubt that his coaching was and is impressive. I don’t believe he understands today’s game better than Pop. Pop is doing the best with the personnel he has. I disagree with him on some things for sure but I don’t think Bud would do quite as well with our current roster as Pop has

Bud would never have this current roster:lol

It's not like he took shooters and built a team around their strengths..he has guys like John Henson(!!) shooting high volume 3s..

Pop signed Marco Belinelli on a team that already had Patty Mills and Bryn Forbes:lol ugh..

The difference between the two is just hunger IMO..Bud is still a relatively new HC, he hasn't done much in the league, so far..Pop has nothing else to prove, he's the old man that stopped trimming his ear and nose hairs..

TimDunkem
11-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Yup and he fouls when up by 3 or more in late game situations.

You think with as many times as Pop has been burned on these two things that he would learn to adjust. Old man believes his own legend about never making mistakes.

TimDunkem
11-09-2018, 12:53 PM

No shit. Why is it so hard to admit Pop and the FO are fallible? This roster looks like shit to anyone with a brain. Bud also adjusts much better than Pop these days. There's no doubt in my mind that Bud, at the very least, knows today's game better than Pop.

JeffDuncan
11-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Also Coach Bud has a great face for tv.

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2018, 02:16 PM
People forget that Bud is the actual reason why we even traded for Kawhi. Pop would've probably kept George Hill if Bud didn't go so hard for the Kawhi trade

Dejounte
11-09-2018, 02:37 PM
People forget that Bud is the actual reason why we even traded for Kawhi. Pop would've probably kept George Hill if Bud didn't go so hard for the Kawhi trade

Link?

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Link?

I could only find the german interview, but it's from the official NBA.com site

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/1307/Artikel/mike-budenholzer-interview-atlanta-hawks-head-coach-dennis-schroeder-gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs.html

"SPOX: Man kann aber auch mit ihm streiten. Es gibt ja die Geschichte über den George-Hill-Kawhi-Leonard-Trade. Sie waren ein Befürworter, aber Popovich hat Hill geliebt, er wollte ihn unter keinen Umständen traden.

Budenholzer: (lacht) Was soll ich sagen, wir hatten hitzige Diskussionen. Aber das war auch das Tolle an der Arbeit mit Pop. Es war ihm immer extrem wichtig, dass jeder seine Meinung geäußert hat. Also haben wir oft debattiert - und manchmal wurde es eben hitzig, das ist aber normal. Alle Diskussionen waren immer von großem gegenseitigem Respekt geprägt. Pop hat sich alles angehört und am Ende war er es natürlich, der das letzte Wort hatte und die Entscheidung treffen musste. Aber er wollte immer, dass wir ehrlich unsere Meinung sagen, ohne Angst. Das ist auch etwas, was wir in Atlanta so handhaben wollen. Wenn jemand eine Idee hat, dann darf und soll er sie äußern. Wir wollen alles hören. Ich denke, das ist der beste Weg, um möglichst oft gute Entscheidungen zu treffen. So fühlt sich am Ende auch jeder wohl mit einer Entscheidung."

He's basically saying that there was no way Pop would've traded Hill, but since Pop wants his assistants to tell him the truth Bud really insisted on doing it and had a heated discussion with him about it. He also said of course Pop is the one making the final decision

TimDunkem
11-09-2018, 03:20 PM
^The conspiracy theory some here touted of Pop's assistants being yes men is starting to make sense now. :lol

"Yes, Pop! Bryn should start! Good move!"

Pop didn't want to trade Hill for Kawhi. :lol

RC had Valanciunas higher than Kawhi on his draft board. :lmao

Today's PATFO. :lmao

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
^The conspiracy theory some here touted of Pop's assistants being yes men is starting to make sense now. :lol

"Yes, Pop! Bryn should start! Good move!"

Pop didn't want to trade Hill for Kawhi. :lol

RC had Valanciunas higher than Kawhi on his draft board. :lmao

Today's PATFO. :lmao

That's a fact. Look at the video where they voting that Patty won't be fouling. After everybody put their hand up Messina was like, fuck it, I'll put mine up too. He was probably the only one who knew Patty will foul again in the next 10 seconds

r0drig0lac
11-09-2018, 03:41 PM

It's not like he took shooters and built a team around their strengths..he has guys like John Henson(!!) shooting high volume 3s..

Pop signed Marco Belinelli on a team that already had Patty Mills and Bryn Forbes:lol ugh..

The difference between the two is just hunger IMO..Bud is still a relatively new HC, he hasn't done much in the league, so far..Pop has nothing else to prove, he's the old man that stopped trimming his ear and nose hairs..
this x1000

some people here will always have a ready excuse for the clear mistakes of Pop as president of operations (errors that hinder the work of the coach Pop)

ceperez
11-09-2018, 03:42 PM
a lot of athletic and versatile players who can not be destroyed in defense with 34-35% of 3pts are far more valuable than guys who can shoot 40% of 3pts but can not defend anyone at all, guys like Midletton and Prince are the perfect prototype of perimeter player in this league now.
and logically, Bucks has a basketball player with legendary athletic level and one of the most unique biotypes in the basketball history, who happens to be also good at playing basketball

Perfect for Bud to put some organization on a team that has a ton of talent but bad coaches.

They are longer and bigger than the Raptors. They could just deny injury prone Leonard from making it to the finals.

phxspurfan
11-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Good points. Makes me wonder why the FO continually gets rid of players they develop with this body type (Simmons, Blossomgame, etc) and fully develop and keep players with obvious deficiencies that will show up against the best developed competition (Forbes, Mills, etc). It's not like some of these guys are hard to find or expensive to sign, especially where the Spurs find them (g league, tryouts, undrafted camps). And it's not like the coaching staff can't train them to shoot 35%.

Maybe it's just they don't like the types of characters a lot of these guys are, and want the squeaky clean ones. But not everyone's Tim or Manu.

phxspurfan
11-09-2018, 07:16 PM
I could only find the german interview, but it's from the official NBA.com site

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/1307/Artikel/mike-budenholzer-interview-atlanta-hawks-head-coach-dennis-schroeder-gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs.html

"SPOX: Man kann aber auch mit ihm streiten. Es gibt ja die Geschichte über den George-Hill-Kawhi-Leonard-Trade. Sie waren ein Befürworter, aber Popovich hat Hill geliebt, er wollte ihn unter keinen Umständen traden.

Budenholzer: (lacht) Was soll ich sagen, wir hatten hitzige Diskussionen. Aber das war auch das Tolle an der Arbeit mit Pop. Es war ihm immer extrem wichtig, dass jeder seine Meinung geäußert hat. Also haben wir oft debattiert - und manchmal wurde es eben hitzig, das ist aber normal. Alle Diskussionen waren immer von großem gegenseitigem Respekt geprägt. Pop hat sich alles angehört und am Ende war er es natürlich, der das letzte Wort hatte und die Entscheidung treffen musste. Aber er wollte immer, dass wir ehrlich unsere Meinung sagen, ohne Angst. Das ist auch etwas, was wir in Atlanta so handhaben wollen. Wenn jemand eine Idee hat, dann darf und soll er sie äußern. Wir wollen alles hören. Ich denke, das ist der beste Weg, um möglichst oft gute Entscheidungen zu treffen. So fühlt sich am Ende auch jeder wohl mit einer Entscheidung."

He's basically saying that there was no way Pop would've traded Hill, but since Pop wants his assistants to tell him the truth Bud really insisted on doing it and had a heated discussion with him about it. He also said of course Pop is the one making the final decision

So what you're saying is Pop has had great assistants who have covered up his potential mistakes.

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2018, 08:25 PM
So what you're saying is Pop has had great assistants who have covered up his potential mistakes.

or have done things to improve the team that he later gets credit for

slick'81
11-09-2018, 09:20 PM
or have done things to improve the team that he later gets credit for

like sam presti>drunkford?

therealtruth
11-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Spurs we kept the wrong coach. Should have let Bud replace Pop and they would probably still have Kawhi and would have beat the Warriors by now.

SAGirl
11-09-2018, 10:50 PM

Great point. :tu

ceperez
11-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Good points. Makes me wonder why the FO continually gets rid of players they develop with this body type (Simmons, Blossomgame, etc) and fully develop and keep players with obvious deficiencies that will show up against the best developed competition (Forbes, Mills, etc). It's not like some of these guys are hard to find or expensive to sign, especially where the Spurs find them (g league, tryouts, undrafted camps). And it's not like the coaching staff can't train them to shoot 35%.

Maybe it's just they don't like the types of characters a lot of these guys are, and want the squeaky clean ones. But not everyone's Tim or Manu.

Squeeky clean high IQ players are the Spurs preference over athletic players. It is what they are and it isn't going to chance. Don't expect it to change. That's the formula for ever and it is what got them 2014 and almost 2013.

Speaking though about the Bucks and Raptors, I don't see any Rondo, Lance Stephenson like players.

Spurs don't have the luxury of strong personalities like LeBron to keep misfits inline.

Spurs rely on collectively good personalities to somehow make the playoffs every year with INFERIOR talent.

I do agree though, Spurs need to be INVESTING in more athletic players (but lower IQ). The only really athletic player in today's roster is DeRozan and Metu.

Gay doesn't have the mobility anymore.
Cunningham is like a poor man's Danny Green.
Poindexter is too many injuries away from his prime.
The other two athletic players are injured.

RC_Drunkford
11-10-2018, 06:47 AM
you know people can be athletic and have a high Bball-IQ at the same time right?

r0drig0lac
11-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Squeeky clean high IQ players are the Spurs preference over athletic players. It is what they are and it isn't going to chance. Don't expect it to change. That's the formula for ever and it is what got them 2014 and almost 2013.

Speaking though about the Bucks and Raptors, I don't see any Rondo, Lance Stephenson like players.

Spurs don't have the luxury of strong personalities like LeBron to keep misfits inline.

Spurs rely on collectively good personalities to somehow make the playoffs every year with INFERIOR talent.

I do agree though, Spurs need to be INVESTING in more athletic players (but lower IQ). The only really athletic player in today's roster is DeRozan and Metu.

Gay doesn't have the mobility anymore.
Cunningham is like a poor man's Danny Green.
Poindexter is too many injuries away from his prime.
The other two athletic players are injured.

one thing does not exclude the other, when I called Gay for the spurs as a good alternative in 2017 some posters said it was not spur material, and now he is probably the most important player in the "system", he probably got smarter after losing his mobility? funny

who are the high qi players in roster spur? mills forbes Bertans? purdll? gay?
no, this is just one of the front office mistakes, Duncan, Kawhi, Manu and Parker are no longer on the team to carry this "type" of player preferred by Pop.
patfo prefers players "yes, sir" so as not to disrupt the spur chemistry and culture, except that this culture was based in mr. Duncan and he's not coming back, so the front office needs to take a risk or the franchise will likely cease to be competitive (if this has not already happened)

JPB
11-10-2018, 09:20 AM
The level of ignorance in this thread is vertiginous. You're contemplating infinite.

TheGreatYacht
11-10-2018, 12:28 PM
PATFO fluffers getting slapped around in here :lol

DMC
11-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Do not want coach Bud. He'll peter out again after consideration for CotY and be released in two years.

DMC
11-10-2018, 12:57 PM
The level of ignorance in this thread is vertiginous. You're contemplating infinite.

I have to confess to ignorance here.