PDA

View Full Version : At least Duncan is getting national attention?

Kori Ellis
10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Duncan rips dress code as 'basically retarded'
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 58 minutes ago

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5009466

Spurs superstar Tim Duncan is known to be understated and shy — but not about the NBA's new dress code.

Duncan, according to a report in The San Antonio Express-News, joined the Indiana Pacers' Stephen Jackson with not-so-kind words for commissioner David Stern's dress-up policy.

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan, a two-time NBA MVP and three-time NBA Finals MVP, did not play in Tuesday night's 94-81 exhibition loss to the Indiana Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse. He wore what The Express-News called his typical injured-list wardrobe: jeans and a dress shirt.

However, an NBA spokesman said Duncan would have to tuck his shirt in once the regular season starts and the policy goes into effect.

In the new policy, players will be allowed to wear "dress jeans" and a collared shirt or sweater to and from the arena, but they must put on a sport coat if they are sitting near the bench and not in uniform.

This clearly isn't music to the ears of Duncan, who is thinking of remaining in the locker room on nights he does not play.

As for Jackson, his problem lies in the fact that players will not be allowed to wear large chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes when they enter an (NBA) arena.

"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5009696_36_1.jpg
Tim Duncan, seen in his sideline attire of choice last season, calls the NBA's new dress code "a load of crap."

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Booyah! Timmy's the bad boy of the league, the scourge of hall monitors everywhere!

I wish they didn't make it sound like he and Stephen Jackson are really in that much agreement about it. If anything Tim's comments are that Jackson is full of it. If anything I think the firestorm that this set off is just going to make Tim avoid the media even more. He speaks his mind for the first time in years and assholes like Jim Rome are ready to crucify him in a matter of hours.

PM5K
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Damnit Kori, how many times do I have to tell you to keep this all in one thread?

Gatita
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Damnit Kori, how many times do I have to tell you to keep this all in one thread?

:lol

Kori Ellis
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
:lol

This thread is more about Duncan's use of the word "retarded" rather than the dress code policy.

Duncan has caused controversy around the country now. It's the topic of a lot of sportstalk radio and other publications today.

Spurminator
10-20-2005, 03:49 PM
I think the amount of controversy Duncan's use of the term "retarded" has stirred is pretty fuckin gay.

;)

PM5K
10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
As a retard I am very upset with Tim Duncans use of the word...

gay abc
10-20-2005, 03:52 PM
I think the amount of controversy Duncan's use of the term "retarded" has stirred is pretty fuckin gay.

;)

so that's a good thing?

cheguevara
10-20-2005, 03:53 PM
This is SHOCKING! HOW DARE HE SPEAK HIS MIND!!!

What's next? is he gonna talk crap about Bush and move to Europe next to Johnny Depp!!???

ShoogarBear
10-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I've heard Tim use ther term "retarded" before. It's a poor choice of words (not to mention just incorrect usage), like an expression somebody would carry over from 5th grade.

Tom_Foolery
10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
I've heard Tim use "retarded" because of a call the refs made in one game.

I'm only afraid that Timmy will probably get more calls go against him this season than usual.

Jimcs50
10-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Retarded means to cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

It is not a noun. Retards are not called retards, they are mentally handicapped persons.

cheguevara
What's wrong with retarded, I use that word all the time and I'm old as dirt.

So Shaq curses on live TV and he gets away w/it??

pache100
What's next?

Doom, it's over, dude. Well, the Spurs will just be forced to cut him, that's all there is to it. That Timmy's just a little malcontent non-conformist, anyway, with no rights because he's rich and privileged. Boy, those that think that will be whining out of the other side of their mouths when he's living in the SAMM shelter and the Spurs are in the cellar; Pop will probably get fired, too. The good part is...maybe we'll get some good draft picks.

cheguevara
10-20-2005, 04:01 PM
re·tard·ed ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-tärdd)
adj.
Often Offensive. Affected with mental retardation.
Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.

timmy's correct

ShoogarBear
10-20-2005, 04:01 PM

It is not a noun. Retards are not called retards, they are mentally handicapped persons.

Yeah, but "proceed slowly" is certainly not what Tim was trying to say.

Like I said, it's an immature and incorrect choice of words.

What he meant was "stupid".

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2005, 04:03 PM
What a horrible man. What's he going to do next? Wear baggy clothes to a basketball game?

Egads.

easjer
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, it's not the worst thing I've ever heard a sports player say. I think it's the fact that Tim Duncan talked that is worth noting.

spurs=bling
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Fear Da Fro :fro

Go Tim Go !!

SAtown
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Why is everyone so touchy about what people say. Duncan does not agree with Stern's rule, and that's his fucking right as a person. His choice of words... well, whatever. People have to quit acting like they are angels, or have never said anything they regret (or say something without literally meaning it), or... etc. This is the first media clip (national) from the best basketball player in the world on the best basketball team in the world. People should focus on the real issue, which isn't really an issue to begin with. A dress code... please, we're not in kindergarten. Or are we? Maybe these clowns that overdress clownish that are overpaid funny amounts of $$$ DO belong in K, learning how to speak correctly.

As long as basketball players are shooting their limo drivers, as long as basketball players keep beating up the fans, as long as basketball players keep acting the way they do, David Stern has a right to legislate whatever rule he desires.

PRO DRESS CODE

SpursWoman
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
I've heard Tim use ther term "retarded" before. It's a poor choice of words (not to mention just incorrect usage), like an expression somebody would carry over from 5th grade.

Or, like something I call my 5th grader all of the time.... :angel

Gatita
10-20-2005, 04:20 PM

:lmao

Do you remember junior high?!

boutons
10-20-2005, 04:23 PM
"from 5th grade."

Tim isn't a retarded speaker, he's "vocabularily challenged" and "otherwise gifted". :lol

Allen "It's all about I"-verson has had a segment running all day on cable news gracing the airwaves with his "thoughts" on the dress code, his "asshole" being bleeped out a few times. Now, there's guy who's an articulate representative who speaks to the white, suburban demographic! :)

spurs=bling
10-20-2005, 04:36 PM

Do you remember junior high?!

things have changed since then.

dbreiden83080
10-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Maybe this is Tim's master plan, he is going to shed his good guy image and become a defiant bad boy. Soon he will be out partying till 3 am with Ron Artest and leading the league in technicals. Then and only then will he get the endorsement deals he has deserved for years.

BigVee
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Any shot that can be taken at Duncan will be. The rest of the basketball world is sick of hearing about how the Spurs have a team of great citizens, a class organization etc. Any little opening that allows people to criticize any Spur for any reason is going to be taken. F them.

slayermin
10-20-2005, 04:44 PM
I suspect media types like Jim Rome bash TD because he doesn't do interviews or sitdowns unless he absolutely has to. Throw in the fact that he plays for the small market Spurs, hated by big market Los Angeles, and he will get huge criticism when he does anything that is slightly perceived as controversial. It wouldn't surprise me if the genesis of the criticism came from Los Angeles.

Personally, I am glad TD did speak out. Though I think the dress code is a good idea.

ObiwanGinobili
10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
he's so quiet all the time that the one thing he says that is mildly dumb (use of the word retarded, as much as I do it myslef , is pretty un-PC) is gonna get jumped all over.
I dont; think there should be any controversy over Timmy's words.
But i also wish he;d kept his trap shut. And if he does stay in the locker room I will be thoroughly disappointed in him.

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Rome is bashing Duncan because it's the cool thing to do. Bash the NBA players for complaining about the dress code.

Don't think Rome isn't catering to the demographic Stern is trying to respond to?

dbreiden83080
10-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Duncan did leave himself open to criticism over his comments here. I don't really care that much that he spoke out but if he is hiding in the locker room one night instead on the bench to avoid the dress code that i have a big problem with. It doesn't matter what you personal opinions about this issue are you can never put yourself ahead of the team.

easjer
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Duncan did leave himself open to criticism over his comments here. I don't really care that much that he spoke out but if he is hiding in the locker room one night instead on the bench to avoid the dress code that i have a big problem with. It doesn't matter what you personal opinions about this issue are you can never put yourself ahead of the team.

I don't think we watch the same sport. There are only a handful of other stars in the league who play the team sport the way Duncan does. And frankly, if he's not playing, I don't care if he watches from Alaska. It's not a big deal.

ducks
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
who is jim rome
who cares what he says
I for one never liked him

BigVee
10-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I cannot believe that he would ever stay in the dressing room, other than receiving therapy, with his team on the floor. Never.

dbreiden83080
10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I don't think we watch the same sport. There are only a handful of other stars in the league who play the team sport the way Duncan does. And frankly, if he's not playing, I don't care if he watches from Alaska. It's not a big deal.

There is more to being a good team mate then just how you play on the court. Do not get me wrong i think Tim is a great team mate and has been for years, which is why i would be very disaapointed in him if he was not supporting them on the bench like he should be.

dbreiden83080
10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
i didn't see the show what is it that Rome said about Duncan.

angel_luv
10-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Timmy was asked what he thought about the dress code and he answered honestly.

Well, it's not the worst thing I've ever heard a sports player say. I think it's the fact that Tim Duncan talked that is worth noting.

No um uh uhs about it.

Sorry Timmy!

mookie2001
10-20-2005, 06:14 PM
"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan, a two-time NBA MVP and three-time NBA Finals MVP

funny

phyzik
10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Rome is bashing Duncan because it's the cool thing to do. Bash the NBA players for complaining about the dress code.

Don't think Rome isn't catering to the demographic Stern is trying to respond to?

boy thats a juicy piece of bait you laid out there marcus but I think I'll hold my tounge.

maxpower
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Duncan basically summed up the childish view these supposed 'adult professionals' have. This crap about it being cultural is pure bullshit. The chains and all are recent phenomena. They are confusing fashion statements with something deeper and with actual importance to origins. I doubt many of these players' parents, grandparents etc. sported gawdy shiny metal chains.

John T
10-20-2005, 06:58 PM
I have no problem that he's voicing his disagreement. But I really hate it when people use the word retarded as an insult.

Carie

phyzik
10-20-2005, 06:59 PM
this thread is retarded.

sickdsm
10-20-2005, 08:37 PM

;)

Calling something retarded is just one step away from saying its gay. Both very immature things to do. I wonder the next time he's at a charity helping a retarded kid if he'll think about that?

thispego
10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
One time, when i was in highschool, we had to find a charitable organization and interview the director of that organization. Me and this girl decided to go to some horse ranch for mentally handicapped children. We set the camera up and everything, and decided that the girl would do the interview with the director. She was fixing herself up in the mirror and then with counselors and the director present, she let out a "uggghhh, i look retarded!!"
She ddint realize what she had said at first, but i was like omg.......it was very awkward after that

xcoriate
10-20-2005, 10:51 PM
^ :lmao I can imagine

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2005, 12:07 AM
The only thing i can say is since duncan has kept his MINI FRO, his starting to become like rasheed wallace hahaha, lets hope he keeps it and keep that attitude.

TPMG2007
10-21-2005, 12:19 AM
When I first read this, I was like WTH Duncan, don't you realize you have to be PC these days. Though it bothers me when people think anything that is stupid is retarded or gay. They shouldn't be synonomous. Anyway, I still love ya Duncan, keep speaking your mind.

TDfan2007
10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
So the man spoke his mind, who cares? Many NBA players have said much worse and gotten much less heat over it (Shaq cursing on national TV). You know what I say?

FUCK THE MEDIA AND FUCK THE DRESS CODE!!!!

Just because you dress a certain way doesn't mean you are a certain way. That's just a very stupid and irrational way of thinking.

Vashner
10-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Duncan is THE man right now.. it's so sweet..

He deserves it.

Tony is also the man..

Manu is the man..

It's good to be a spur fan now... the golden age is upon us..

I'll bask in the sun for a few...

MannyIsGod
10-21-2005, 12:57 AM

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Jim Rome was ragging on Duncan for this? Give me a fucking break! You know, fuck the dress code. I thought it was a good idea but the NBA and its media dipshits can blow me.

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2005, 12:57 AM
I think ever since duncan made that comment, now everyone is getting on the wagon expressing what they think....

Spurzn703
10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Thataboy Timmy, give 'em hell!

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 10:01 AM
LOL, your trying to rationalize it by pointing fingers at what other people have done? So Shaq made a comment about chinese and swore. KG made inappropriate comments about guns. Sprewell feeding his family, Camby clothing himself, AI practicing.

TD needs to keep his yapper shut if he wants to keep the image of being one of the clean, nice, good guys. Comparing to what others have done is crap. As Jim Rome said, the only thing more surprising is if David Robinson would have said that. Sounding off about it is one thing, using 5th grade slang words is another.

cheguevara
10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
TD needs to keep his yapper shut if he wants to keep the image of being one of the clean, nice, good guys.

who says he's trying to do that? he's being himself

You go timy!

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
So I assume everyone should just shut the hell up about Spree and Camby because there jsut being themselves?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-21-2005, 10:12 AM
So I assume everyone should just shut the hell up about Spree and Camby because there jsut being themselves?

You're joking right? Tim was expressing an opinion (though somewhat foolishly). Camby was saying that the teams should pay for his clothing, and Spree's "got to feed my family" comment is among the dumbest things any athlete has ever said.

cheguevara
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM

No! The candyasses who get offended when players speak their mind have as much right to cry about it, as the players to express themselves.

Anyway, what Tim said is not even comparable with what Camby and Spree said, apples and oranges.

Spurminator
10-21-2005, 10:19 AM

I don't think anyone should shut up about anything, but what does this have to do with Duncan's "nice guy" image? I believe you have that confused with a "sheepish yesperson" image.

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Contrary to what YOU may think, Camby is DEAD ON. The fact remains that if you have a contract for your job and they change the rules to make sure you have to wear custom tailored suits (thats what 7 footers would have to do) when you aren't at work, your company needs to foot the bill for that. We wouldn't think twice about the company providing enginneers with laptops so they can have access everywhere. Why the hell do you agree that the dress code is "retarded" but agree that the players themselves should have to pay for expensive suits?

If the homers here would stop and think about it for a while, Camby's quote HAS helped the case. David Stern actually said they would consider that. Thats a lawsuit waiting to happan otherwise. Duncan just made himself look dumb.

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Tim expressed something in a really dumb way and unfortunately blew an opportunity to make a statement that people would have to take seriously.

Now the Jim Romes and Dan Patricks of the world, who live for the opportunities to rip into the NBA culture, don't have to bother with any serious discussion, and will never let up on him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Contrary to what YOU may think, Camby is DEAD ON. The fact remains that if you have a contract for your job and they change the rules to make sure you have to wear custom tailored suits (thats what 7 footers would have to do) when you aren't at work, your company needs to foot the bill for that. We wouldn't think twice about the company providing enginneers with laptops so they can have access everywhere. Why the hell do you agree that the dress code is "retarded" but agree that the players themselves should have to pay for expensive suits?

If the homers here would stop and think about it for a while, Camby's quote HAS helped the case. David Stern actually said they would consider that. Thats a lawsuit waiting to happan otherwise. Duncan just made himself look dumb.

In terms of the image problems that this dress code is creating what do you think has hurt the players image more. Tim Duncan, whose signature style would have to change under the new rules, calling the code "retarded" or the image of Camby, who is routinely seen in suits both in interviews or when injured, saying that the league should pay for his clothes?

I'll agree that Tim's comments don't make him look good, though I think they are being blown way the hell out of proportion.

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think anyone should shut up about anything, but what does this have to do with Duncan's "nice guy" image? I believe you have that confused with a "sheepish yesperson" image.

Hardly. Theres a right and a wrong way to speak out about something. The dress code is a little farfetched. I'm not in favor of it. But if i was a player and i went on a tirade and said "its bullshit, Stern can wear lingerie if he wants, which he probably does and we're supposed to wear a goddamn suit?" That would be the wrong way. AI handled things the right way. Greg Ostertag handled it GREAT. He just said he's going to wear the lamest suits he can find. Tim WOULD have handled it great but lets take a look at things. He spent what, three years in college and got great grades right? He's been a vetern for a VERY lengthy time, he's taken all the media classes. He's basically been in every situation he can be in. And he DIDN"T know what every intelligent person here knows? You don't use a word such as retarded. Thats all. I've been in situations where someone says something is gay and there is a gay person there offended. I've been there when one white person calls another white person a ###### as a derogatory remark while a black person was there. You don't fucking tell me any one of the media types didn't get pissed off because maybe they have an autistic child at home?

Get your head out of your ass. Everyone knows you can't say the word retarded in the public eye like that. That alone would stop most presidential campaigns faster than a Gary Hart carousing.

cheguevara
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM

You might think that. But the MVP expressing himself against a rule has helped the player's case much much more than any other comment. Why do you think everyone is talking about it. The first step has been taken, and Tim in one way or another did it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Tim expressed something in a really dumb way and unfortunately blew an opportunity to make a statement that people would have to take seriously.

Now the Jim Romes and Dan Patricks of the world, who live for the opportunities to rip into the NBA culture, don't have to both with any serious discussion, and will never let up on him.

Yeah, Tim made himself a pretty easy target. I think the real story is that Tim Duncan suddenly had something to say to the media. The simple fact that one of the most professional players in the game not only dislikes the code but was willing to openly bash it should really be the story. I think everyone expected Allen Iverson to be against it, but when Tim Duncan comes out against something? I think that should send a message as to just how much opposition this thing could really face. Instead they've jumped all over Tim, IMO, because he's a dream target. Thanks to his finals appearances he's high profile, but they also know damn well that he's not going to respond to any of this. So they'll attack him and try to spin it to where it looks like Tim's cowering from their journalistic might, when in fact he just doesn't give a damn.

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
They were talking about Randy Moss driving through that attendant but it doensn't mean its a good thing.

THERE MAKING FUN OF DUNCAN. How does that help the case?

Finally, Jim Rome shows more love to the spurs than anyone does besides Kerr. Any clone you ask would laugh that he's unfairly picking on Duncan. He doesn't have Bruce Bowen on every week for nothing.

Spurminator
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
So this is all about his use of the word "retarded"? All the radio fuss and internet discussion is over his misuse of a sensitive word?

Bullshit. It's because he used the word at the same time that he opposed a rule that most people think he has no right to whine about.

If the NBA decided to ban Europeans and Tim Duncan said it was "retarded" his use of the word would be no less inappropriate, but Jim Rome would have echoed his sentiment.

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Bullshit. It's because he used the word at the same time that he opposed a rule that most people think he has no right to whine about.

Right. If he hadn't said "retarded", people would have had to discuss this seriously. He gave them a way out. To be honest, I'm kinda pissed at Tim. For someone so careful with words, he blew this one.

Mixability
10-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Now the NBA can use the Black Eyed Peas song as it was originally written:

"LETS GET RETARDED"!

:drunk

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
When my family first moved to San Antonio, we were surprised by how many other "retard" military people lived there.

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Maytag forum.