PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on Kawhi situation

webshad
04-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Sorry if it has already been posted. I like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8seDn5l4k

BillMc
04-24-2018, 10:56 AM
I posted it earlier but I agree that this guy makes a good case. The only thing I don't understand is why Kawhi hasn't shown up for any games. Not home games. Not playoffs. His rehab could surely spare that.

webshad
04-24-2018, 11:03 AM
I posted it earlier but I agree that this guy makes a good case. The only thing I don't understand is why Kawhi hasn't shown up for any games. Not home games. Not playoffs. His rehab could surely spare that.

I think Jalen Rose answered that question, why doesn't Boogy Cousins show up for New Orleans. It all depends on their rehabilitation program and daily schedules.

BillMc
04-24-2018, 11:14 AM
I think Jalen Rose answered that question, why doesn't Boogy Cousins show up for New Orleans. It all depends on their rehabilitation program and daily schedules.

A single game? I'm doubtful his rehabilitation is the only reason. Cousins has been to a few NO games.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-24-2018, 11:23 AM
if we all remove our fan shirts for a minute we do have to realize that behind all the rehab excuses there has to be something really going on - come on guys... this isn't normal - some stuff is going on - we surely don't know for real what but the situation is just pretty weird. What that really means for the future? we have no idea

SAGirl
04-24-2018, 11:37 AM
Kawhi-gate... There's definitely something going on but we will have to wait. I don't think they will trade him but that's my personal conclusion based on my own observation and deduction. He could be on his way out. Props to those guys that called it in that case. We don't know really. Kiwi's sister is giving you the most insight. According to her Kiwi is that focused on his rehab and a quiet IDGAF person.

itzsoweezee
04-24-2018, 12:17 PM

My question as well. There is no rehab program that runs 24 hours a day. He can spare an hour or two to support his teammates. The telling fact for me will be whether he attends the funeral. If he had even a smidgen of respect for pop, he will attend (unless I'm out of the loop and it's already taken place).

SpursforSix
04-24-2018, 12:26 PM
My question as well. There is no rehab program that runs 24 hours a day. He can spare an hour or two to support his teammates. The telling fact for me will be whether he attends the funeral. If he had even a smidgen of respect for pop, he will attend (unless I'm out of the loop and it's already taken place).

No way he goes to the funeral. And can't read too much into it if he doesn't go. By not saying anything or being on the bench, he's dug a gigantic hole that's going to make any interaction with the Spurs awkward as fuck.

BackHome
04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Kawhi is going to get swarmed by the media when ever he comes out of whatever basement they have him hiding in. To much drama to many red flags just trade him and move on.

acoelho1
04-24-2018, 01:10 PM
A single game? I'm doubtful his rehabilitation is the only reason. Cousins has been to a few NO games.

I'm definitely in the camp that Kawhi should at least support the team during home games. Nevertheless, the more I think about it, I believe Kawhi's mindset is strictly on getting healthy and coming to games is not a priority for him given his situation. We may not like it as fans but he wants to spend all his time on getting well so flying back and forth is not something he wants to do and is willing to take any backlash. It makes sense to me given his work ethic and I'm sure he's very frustrated with not being able to play so all the ancillary stuff is secondary. I can't wait to see him back on the court with a Spurs jersey.

Chinook
04-24-2018, 01:21 PM
This completely ignores the players-only meeting. The guy who made the video would consider Woj's report to be credible, so in the very least, the idea that this is being overblown by the media and fans only is off. A Kawhi who keeps in touch with his teammates about his injury and his progress would have not had to be ambushed to give an update. The guys around him would understand what's going on and why. But they don't, and Pop has been giving off the impression that he doesn't know either. Even if Pop disagreed with Kawhi's caution, I doubt he would feel so baffled by it that he'd respond this way. It's probably not just that one doctor said he's good and another said he wasn't. It was instead likely that multiple doctors, including independent ones say he's good while another doctor whom Kawhi hand-picked says he's not. This doctor apparently hasn't been able to fix whatever issue Leonard is having despite the team letting Kawhi go off on his own.

I don't think the guy on the video did much. The best thing he did was discredit that BR story, but I never put any credence into it anyway. At this point, I'm not looking at any Kawhi article until something definitive comes out. I only cared about the possibility of him coming back this season. Once that ended, I saw no reason why anything written before June matters. The rest of the video is hand-picked to make it seem like a two-sided debate. It's not. He strawmanned the other side by making this solely about Leonard playing and not about the lack of leadership. He ignored credible reporting of a legit rift and overemphasized reporting about the team not entertaining trade offers (which is pretty much how all trade negotiations begin). Very few folks should be able to look at this and think this is everyone's fault but Leonard's at this point.

DPG21920
04-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Good video - hes well spoken. I don’t agree with how he says Kawhi is not holding SA hostage for the money but then references IT sitatuion and the money.

He and many others seem to gloss over the real issue; the way Kawhi has handled things. No one cares really about the injury for the most part. That is understandable.

It’s how the friction was caused by being so distant and leaving the guys who are playing injured and fighting to do both the on court work and off court work to face the media. That is what is wrong.

Rick Von Braun
04-24-2018, 01:29 PM
This completely ignores the players-only meeting. The guy who made the video would consider Woj's report to be credible, so in the very least, the idea that this is being overblown by the media and fans only is off. A Kawhi who keeps in touch with his teammates about his injury and his progress would have not had to be ambushed to give an update. The guys around him would understand what's going on and why. But they don't, and Pop has been giving off the impression that he doesn't know either. Even if Pop disagreed with Kawhi's caution, I doubt he would feel so baffled by it that he'd respond this way. It's probably not just that one doctor said he's good and another said he wasn't. It was instead likely that multiple doctors, including independent ones say he's good while another doctor whom Kawhi hand-picked says he's not. This doctor apparently hasn't been able to fix whatever issue Leonard is having despite the team letting Kawhi go off on his own.

I don't think the guy on the video did much. The best thing he did was discredit that BR story, but I never put any credence into it anyway. At this point, I'm not looking at any Kawhi article until something definitive comes out. I only cared about the possibility of him coming back this season. Once that ended, I saw no reason why anything written before June matters. The rest of the video is hand-picked to make it seem like a two-sided debate. It's not. He strawmanned the other side by making this solely about Leonard playing and not about the lack of leadership. He ignored credible reporting of a legit rift and overemphasized reporting about the team not entertaining trade offers (which is pretty much how all trade negotiations begin). Very few folks should be able to look at this and think this is everyone's fault but Leonard's at this point.

:bobo

duncan2k5
04-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Sorry if it has already been posted. I like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8seDn5l4k

Literally said everything I've been saying... Good video

exstatic
04-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Kawhi-gate... There's definitely something going on but we will have to wait. I don't think they will trade him but that's my personal conclusion based on my own observation and deduction. He could be on his way out. Props to those guys that called it in that case. We don't know really. Kiwi's sister is giving you the most insight. According to her Kiwi is that focused on his rehab and a quiet IDGAF person.

According to her, he wasn't injured in August when he had his camp in China. That's a direct quote from her account.

SAGirl
04-24-2018, 02:38 PM
According to her, he wasn't injured in August when he had his camp in China. That's a direct quote from her account.
True that’s what that Twitter poster pointed out. According to Spurs and even players he showed up to training camp injured he wasn’t scrimmaging with the team in training camp and irc teammates said they had seen him at the facility briefly but didn’t play with him. Only Kawhi knows how he got injured at this point...

-21-
04-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Something that came to mind: If somehow Kawhi sticks with the Spurs, do you think we're ever gonna find out what truly happened? I fear there's a real possibility that the truth will never come out when all is said and done.

SAGirl
04-24-2018, 03:05 PM
Something that came to mind: If somehow Kawhi sticks with the Spurs, do you think we're ever gonna find out what truly happened? I fear there's a real possibility that the truth will never come out when all is said and done.
If they smooth things over they will stick to the company line: he got injured got second opinion and treatment with the team’s permission and cooperation, hopefully made a great recovery the end. More beans can spill if it’s a recurring problem. Kawhi has said it’s an overuse injury so I am not convinced it will completely go away. It’s like someone wearing out a tire. You can’t replace the tire so now he will have bad tires rest of the way. My guess of course I am not a doctor

exstatic
04-24-2018, 03:21 PM
True that’s what that Twitter poster pointed out. According to Spurs and even players he showed up to training camp injured he wasn’t scrimmaging with the team in training camp and irc teammates said they had seen him at the facility briefly but didn’t play with him. Only Kawhi knows how he got injured at this point...

That was only a couple of weeks later, and the fact that he was uninjured in China during August puts lie to the "the Spurs doctors fucked up" meme.

Nathan89
04-24-2018, 03:25 PM
It probably will be an on going issue or at the very least that's what kawhi thinks and he is concerned that the Thomas situation will happen to him.

Play Boban
04-24-2018, 03:26 PM
if we all remove our fan shirts for a minute we do have to realize that behind all the rehab excuses there has to be something really going on - come on guys... this isn't normal - some stuff is going on - we surely don't know for real what but the situation is just pretty weird. What that really means for the future? we have no idea
Yeah, I’ve never seen this situation play out before for any team, so for idiots to act like things are all hunky Dory is just asinine.

SAGirl
04-24-2018, 03:29 PM
That was only a couple of weeks later, and the fact that he was uninjured in China during August puts lie to the "the Spurs doctors fucked up" meme.
True. I discredited the migdianosis aspect personally... to me that’s stuff duncan2k5 abd YGWHI constantly bring up to defend Kawhi but it hasn’t come up from any reputable source. I don’t think there’s a migdianosis. My hypothesis is the one I shared with Chinook in that thread about Kawhi news... will bump it up.

duncan2k5
04-24-2018, 04:21 PM
True. I discredited the migdianosis aspect personally... to me that’s stuff duncan2k5 abd YGWHI constantly bring up to defend Kawhi but it hasn’t come up from any reputable source. I don’t think there’s a migdianosis. My hypothesis is the one I shared with Chinook in that thread about Kawhi news... will bump it up.

What do u have against me? My main thing wasn't Kawhi being misdiagnosed... My thing was him actually being injured... The misdiagnosis was them saying he is clear to play when his body and other doctors said he wasn't... I never said the Spurs docs were the cause of injury due to misdiagnosis... That's just rumors

Lakers999
04-24-2018, 04:29 PM
DEMAND THE TRADE KAWHII!!!!! :)

Twisted_Dawg
04-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Where is that bump located?

Play Boban
04-24-2018, 04:54 PM
If by interesting take you mean a lying take, then great video.

SAGirl
04-24-2018, 05:07 PM
Where is that bump located?
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273340&page=2&p=9368103#post9368103
you have to read some discussion from chinook then me in the first and 2nd page

SAGirl
04-24-2018, 05:09 PM
What do u have against me? My main thing wasn't Kawhi being misdiagnosed... My thing was him actually being injured... The misdiagnosis was them saying he is clear to play when his body and other doctors said he wasn't... I never said the Spurs docs were the cause of injury due to misdiagnosis... That's just rumors
ok thought you were arguing he was misdiagnosed. Stand corrected. I agree that’s rumors and not from anywhere creditable

tmtcsc
04-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Here's my take on the whole matter -

Lack of communication and empathy are huge factors in most conflicts - personal and business. If one party in a 2 party relationship doesn't communicate, it leaves the other party to speculate and make assumptions. Those 2 things are poisonous and in my opinion have occurred between Kawhi & the Spurs. Unfortunately, in addition to the parties involved, there are countless fans, print journalists and talking heads spewing opinions based in speculation instead of fact that are muddying up the whole ordeal.

I think most people who watched Kawhi play would agree that although he made progress during his comeback this season, he never quite looked right. Was it his leg or was it his stamina or a little of both? Whatever the case, Kawhi told the team that regardless of their doctors' opinions, he didn't feel right. As is his NBA collective-bargaining agreement right, he opted to get another opinion.

A less than 100% Kawhi is better than a lot of players in the NBA but that doesn't mean he should go out on the court and be a good soldier for the team if he feels he risks further hurting himself and possibly his career. Is his future contract in play as well? Probably.

Perhaps him playing through pain last year (which was reported) and not healing properly - caused friction and a lack of trust with the Spurs and their medical team. I understand that completely. The Spurs are thinking of the Spurs and Kawhi is thinking of his future. There were plenty of times last season where I saw him limping and got concerned but he just kept playing. Even when he initially hurt his ankle in the playoffs & tried to come back, he seemed to be favoring his knee at times.

What is not excusable is his behavior through this entire process. Although he is not obligated to communicate the extent of his injury or report on the type of rehab he is doing, he should have at least done a better job of being visible at the practice facility and attending more team functions. It looks like he went in to a shell and isolated himself from everyone. What we don't know is if PATFO asked him to stay away from the team because he was just an unwelcomed distraction. Unfortunately, the Spurs don't feel compelled to share much information either and have operated that way for years.

So, bottom-line - all this drama might easily clear up once Kawhi and whoever he trusts medically - feels he is ready to go and 100%. If that happenes, you sign him to the MAX and repair his reputation. If the problem doesn't clear up, his future is in much worse shape than his public relations. -- See Grant Hill

duncan2k5
04-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Here's my take on the whole matter -

Lack of communication and empathy are huge factors in most conflicts - personal and business. If one party in a 2 party relationship doesn't communicate, it leaves the other party to speculate and make assumptions. Those 2 things are poisonous and in my opinion have occurred between Kawhi & the Spurs. Unfortunately, in addition to the parties involved, there are countless fans, print journalists and talking heads spewing opinions based in speculation instead of fact that are muddying up the whole ordeal.

I think most people who watched Kawhi play would agree that although he made progress during his comeback this season, he never quite looked right. Was it his leg or was it his stamina or a little of both? Whatever the case, Kawhi told the team that regardless of their doctors' opinions, he didn't feel right. As is his NBA collective-bargaining agreement right, he opted to get another opinion.

A less than 100% Kawhi is better than a lot of players in the NBA but that doesn't mean he should go out on the court and be a good soldier for the team if he feels he risks further hurting himself and possibly his career. Is his future contract in play as well? Probably.

Perhaps him playing through pain last year (which was reported) and not healing properly - caused friction and a lack of trust with the Spurs and their medical team. I understand that completely. The Spurs are thinking of the Spurs and Kawhi is thinking of his future. There were plenty of times last season where I saw him limping and got concerned but he just kept playing. Even when he initially hurt his ankle in the playoffs & tried to come back, he seemed to be favoring his knee at times.

What is not excusable is his behavior through this entire process. Although he is not obligated to communicate the extent of his injury or report on the type of rehab he is doing, he should have at least done a better job of being visible at the practice facility and attending more team functions. It looks like he went in to a shell and isolated himself from everyone. What we don't know is if PATFO asked him to stay away from the team because he was just an unwelcomed distraction. Unfortunately, the Spurs don't feel compelled to share much information either and have operated that way for years.

So, bottom-line - all this drama might easily clear up once Kawhi and whoever he trusts medically - feels he is ready to go and 100%. If that happenes, you sign him to the MAX and repair his reputation. If the problem doesn't clear up, his future is in much worse shape than his public relations. -- See Grant Hill

Agree with everything u said... But want to add we don't know if kawhi and the FO are in complete communication with each other... Especially considering that Kawhi is with spurs doctors in an official nba facility... And they probably came to an agreement that he should focus on rehab and doesn't have to worry about attending games... Not because of any friction... But because it serves no purpose but to comfort fans... Pop himself said in an interview Kawhi is more helpful rehabbing than sitting on the bench... But because fans don't know all the details, we make up doomsday scenarios

YGWHI
04-24-2018, 06:40 PM

"Any reputable source"...Danny Green said Kawhi's injury got worse in the summer on Chris Broussard's podcast and Pop already said Kawhi was dealing with this injury since last season.

For the record "mishandle" isn't the same that "misdiagnosis"

YGWHI
04-24-2018, 06:50 PM

If his doctors already started "offseason" treatments in last weeks, the patient can't leave the city for many reasons, plane's differential air pressure, secondary effects of medication, leg/quad immobilization.

Man, Kawhi didn't even travel to visit his brother-in-law in the hospital after a terrible car crash last week. If you look at the pics of the car after the accident you would wonder how he saved his life...

ElNono
04-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Is Kawhi's uncle on the video, tbh?

tbdog
04-24-2018, 07:46 PM
My theory I have maintained is that Leonard's doctors/rehab facility must be on a day to day basis, or at the most a week to week basis. As far as I read, the injury is an odd one. It can heal at any time with no set time table. Also Leonard changed his rehab from rest to strength training which came around the same time he seek a second opinion. There has to be a reason why Spurs announced him on the injury report on game to game basis and not a 'will be reevaluated in 2 weeks time' statement.

At first I was livid that Leonard was not on the bench supporting his team, but I cannot blame the guy for trying to get healthy. That is what Pop has said, he is working his butt off to get healthy. That's the focus. Hayward is not sitting on the Celtics bench because he is rehabbing in Indiana, yet he does not get the same outcry. Mainly because the Celtics ruled him out for the season from the get go, and when rumours surfaced that he could be back by the end of the season, the Celtics made a statement indicating that they are not planning on his return, then soon after ruled him out completely.

That to me points to my original point. Leonard must be reevaluated every few days. Until he is cleared by the doctors, he still needs to participate in a Spurs 5vs5 workout before they even consider his return. That's what Pop was indicating, his group needs to tells us he is ready, then we will go from there.

BillMc
04-25-2018, 12:18 AM
I
Man, Kawhi didn't even travel to visit his brother-in-law in the hospital after a terrible car crash last week. If you look at the pics of the car after the accident you would wonder how he saved his life...

Didn't know that. Hope he recovers. Hope all members of the Leonard family are soon healthy.