PDA

View Full Version : Next year's starting PG..

HarlemHeat37
04-24-2018, 11:19 PM
What would you like to see?

Continue developing Murray and hope he learns how to play offense? Do you expect Pop to start Mills to justify his contract? New additions from a Kawhi trade?

SuperCam
04-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Fultz
Kyrie
Sexton

one of those 3, tbh

dabom
04-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Justify the contract? He's earned his paycheck. :lol

Play Boban
04-24-2018, 11:21 PM
Murray is awful. No.

DAF86
Derrick White.

tholdren
Not murry or mills

duncan2k5
04-24-2018, 11:22 PM
If no new point guards, then either Murray or the new fathead... But this time actually play Murray confidently and don't neuter him by pulling him out every minute... The guy is scared to get aggressive on offense

tholdren
04-24-2018, 11:25 PM
If no new point guards, then either Murray or the new fathead... But this time actually play Murray confidently and don't neuter him by pulling him out every minute... The guy is scared to get aggressive on offense

Did you forget his whole shitty season?

Snaq O'Meal
04-24-2018, 11:38 PM
What would you like to see?

Continue developing Murray and hope he learns how to play offense? Do you expect Pop to start Mills to justify his contract? New additions from a Kawhi trade?

A lot was said about Murray’s potential. But to realise any potential, that player needs BBIQ. That’s the thing Murray sorely lacks. Brogdon does not have Murray’s flashy dribble and playground moves that captured the imagination of RC Brainfart, but he’s been balling nicely thanks to his BBIQ.

At this juncture, I’d rather see what Derrick White has to offer at point guard.

Spursmania
04-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Murrays offense is a joke. He can defend and rebound though. Sadly, that's not enough.

eDizzle20
04-24-2018, 11:43 PM
Tyreke Evans

UZER
Wait for it.........

Manu!!!

:pop:

spurraider21
i still think its murray, but you need to surround him with shooters.

anderson passes up every single 3 point attempt, green's shot is broken. put all that together and murray's flaws just become more glaring.

they need to be developing white and bring back bertans to make it work. murray/white/kawhi has potential

SASdynasty!
04-24-2018, 11:44 PM
Lol acting like we’ll have a PG half as good as 2014 Parker. Much less his peak years.

JR3
04-24-2018, 11:45 PM
I honestly hope we get a new starting of and murray comes off the bench.

ducks
04-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Anderson sucks

Slippy
04-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Justify the contract? He's earned his paycheck. :lol

His scoring was good but A momentum killer with decision making & shot selection.

Spurs need a real Point guard thats not past his prime.

TheRemix
04-24-2018, 11:58 PM
Would like to see derrick white

DAF86
04-25-2018, 12:03 AM
Wait for it.........

Manu!!!

:pop:

You watching who's the QB making all the right plays with the season on the line?

UZER
04-25-2018, 12:12 AM
You watching who's the QB making all the right plays with the season on the line?

:lol unforced turnover on the biggest play of the game.

DAF86
04-25-2018, 12:14 AM

Without Manu they wouldn't have even been on that position. Seriously, if you think the problems of this roster are related to Manu you should check yourself.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2018, 12:15 AM
I'm all in on Murray. Doesn't make any sense to do anything else. Murray has the physical tools to be elite, he just needs a jump shot.

Mugen
04-25-2018, 12:16 AM
Hopefully Kemba tbh

DAF86
04-25-2018, 12:16 AM
I'm all in on Murray. Doesn't make any sense to do anything else. Murray has the physical tools to be elite, he just needs a jump shot.

It does make a lot of sense to check what White has, tbh.

UZER
04-25-2018, 12:17 AM
Without Manu they wouldn't have even been on that position. Seriously, if you think the problems of this roster are related to Manu you should check yourself.

Fucking get over it already man. Manu is not your brother.

You sound like Kawhi’s sister. :lol

DMC
04-25-2018, 12:18 AM
Isaiah Thomas..

MannyIsGod
04-25-2018, 12:18 AM
It does make a lot of sense to check what White has, tbh.

Sure, if White ends up being better than Murray I'm OK with that to. I just don't want them to go out and acquire a free agent point guard. Even if Kawhi comes back, you need to try to win with what you have.

What we really need to do is find some shooters, athletic big man depth, and a possible Danny Green replacement.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2018, 12:19 AM
Also anyone thinking Manu is the problem is fucking stupid. Hope he comes back.

LakerHater
04-25-2018, 12:19 AM
Id be super pissed if its Murray or Mills again!

hombre
04-25-2018, 12:20 AM
Oops.

DAF86
04-25-2018, 12:22 AM
Fucking get over it already man. Manu is not your brother.

You sound like Kawhi’s sister. :lol

Again with that bullshit. Can't you offer something that resembles a sensible basketball take? :lol

I'm not Manu's brother, I'm a Spurs fan that understands that there are few better options for depth wing than Manu at 2.5 millions.

007nites
04-25-2018, 12:30 AM
How can you even consider Murray and Mills PG's? They had a combined total of ZERO assists in tonights game in a combined total of 44 mins.

gambit1990
04-25-2018, 12:31 AM
really depends on kawhi tbh...

tholdren
04-25-2018, 12:32 AM

Lol had more assists than starting lineup. Lma and gay shitty iso and fadaways were the reason for the shitty o

mystargtr34
04-25-2018, 12:36 AM
I don’t think Murray is the answer .. there’s just too many holes in his game offensively that aren’t just quick fixes .. I agree with DAF tbh.. give White a run at it and see what he has.. he looks like a natural scorer and playmaker.

Slippy
04-25-2018, 12:37 AM
How can you even consider Murray and Mills PG's? They had a combined total of ZERO assists in tonights game in a combined total of 44 mins.

Good question but it aint just stats . Spurs need a Real point guard. Surely, decision making & passing ability being the pre-requisites. Stop trying to mold players into something they are not & depending on Manu to be the makeshift one.

DPG21920
04-25-2018, 12:37 AM
Well, if it’s Murray I have no doubt he will bust his ass to improve this off season. But if you get the opportunity to add a Kemba or someone else, you do it.

TimDunkem
04-25-2018, 12:43 AM
Good question but it aint just stats . Spurs need a Real point guard. Surely, decision making & passing ability being the pre-requisites. Stop trying to mold players into something they are not & depending on Manu to be the makeshift one.

This.

urunobili
04-25-2018, 12:43 AM
Derrick White.

UZER
04-25-2018, 12:47 AM
Again with that bullshit. Can't you offer something that resembles a rational basketball take? :lol

I'm not Manu's brother, I'm a Spurs fan that understands that there are few better options for depth wing than Manu at 2.5 millions.

:lol again with the I’m so smart youre so dumb take.

You think he’s worth his value for the money in his “limited” role. I say it’s time to move on because as long as Pop is coaching, he will always be put ahead of other players on the roster.

You say he lead the comeback. I point out he had the biggest turnover of the game on the biggest play that was completely unforced.

You say he’s not the problem. I never said he’s THE problem. I just think it’s time for the Spurs to turn the page.

We just disagree.

Robz4000
04-25-2018, 12:48 AM
On the roster: Murray with White at SG

Via trade: Kemba or Fultz

DAF86
04-25-2018, 12:49 AM
:lol again with the I’m so smart your so dumb.

You think he’s worth his value for the money in his “limited” role. I say it’s time to move on because as long as Pop is coaching, he will always be put ahead of other players on the roster.

You say he lead the comeback. I point out he had the biggest turnover of the game on the biggest play that was completely unforced.

You say he’s not the problem. I never said he’s THE problem. I just think it’s time for the Spurs to turn the page.

We just disagree.

So you would rather have a shittier 4th wing than Manu, just because? Gotcha :tu

SASdynasty!
04-25-2018, 12:52 AM
Murray averaged 8/3 as our starting PG. In 16 years as the starter, Parker never had a playoffs close to that ineffective.

Chinook
04-25-2018, 01:42 AM
This is going to be unpopular, but I'm okay with them giving Mills and Murray more time as the starting backcourt. They complement each other well. In a world where Kawhi stays, Patty is a good fit for the SL. Murray should get more time to develop. I've been quite pleased with his progress so far, but him getting real offense is critical to his future, and this is the off-season where that needs to happen. I'd never rule out making a move for an All-Star caliber PG if one becomes available. But like a few others on the team, he deserves a chance to show what he's got after an off-season where he knows what's going on.

Still think they need to upgrade the overall guard talent though, and that includes finding a guy who can be a real sixth man. Manu and Parker and Green should be out the door (though Danny opting in and being traded would be better than him just walking). White should get a chance at a rotation spot, but the team needs to use whatever flexibility they have on getting a vet guard to run with him. Dunno who'd that'd be.

Team definitely needs a big in the draft though, but I guess if someone like Trae Young falls, you've gotta take him and figure everything else out later.

SAGirl
04-25-2018, 02:54 AM
Exactly... part of the reason the offense looks so bad is poor PG play.

ElNono
04-25-2018, 02:57 AM
If Kawhi stays, it's too early to quit on Murray, tbh... we've given much worse scrubs 2-3 seasons... He does have a lot of work ahead of him though, but you gotta give him at least an offseason to see what he works on and how he looks...

Plus this team has a lot of other needs to spend money on, tbh... he's on a rookie scale contract, and plays decent for the money.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2018, 03:44 AM
Its too early to quit on Murray even if Kawhi is gone. He's on a rookie deal, he's young AF, he's got physical tools, and he's a damn good defender.

duncan2k5
04-25-2018, 05:06 AM
Murray ain't even 22 yet... And stop comparing his numbers to a HOF point guard... Males u look silly... Most point guards don't even get to play in the playoffs at 21...besides that, Murray didn't even play 30 minutes per game

r0drig0lac
04-25-2018, 06:47 AM
Tyreke Evans

MaNu4Tres
04-25-2018, 06:49 AM
Ride Murray.

Utilizing assets to cover a position that is filled by your best young assets is just dumb rationale. They have more empty holes to fill at other positions.

Spurs won't be able to bring in an elite PG anyway.

However, it's imperative that they give Derrick a role at the starting 2, or back up 2.

I'd like to see Mills come off the bench with Derrick and the Spurs go after Heronjza with the MLE ( even though that's a long shot -- I can see a team like the Nets pay him more).

dbestpro
04-25-2018, 06:56 AM
The team needs better balance. Murray can be a great PG with better shooters, and scorers. The same can be said for Fathead as a SF. LMA carried the team but the team still will not win it all while playing iso ball. Forbes needs to learn to play defense. There are only about a thousand things that they need to do to fix this team.

SASdynasty!
04-25-2018, 07:02 AM
Murray ain't even 22 yet... And stop comparing his numbers to a HOF point guard... Males u look silly... Most point guards don't even get to play in the playoffs at 21...besides that, Murray didn't even play 30 minutes per game
Parker at 19 years old averaged over 17 PPG on 50% against the greatest defensive PG of all time in his 1st playoff series.
Murray, who is 2 years older, playing in his 4th series, couldn’t average 8 PPG on worse shooting and couldn’t average 2 assists.

I’m not saying he has to be HOF, but when your starting PG can’t average 2 APG or score and already has playoff experience, there’s a major problem.

DaBears
04-25-2018, 07:03 AM
We all realized that SPURS glaring weakness this season was athleticism & shooting. Those 2 key areas must get addressed. I personally think this is it for MANU( hats off to him) great career. Parker while he has his moments cannot break the defense down anymore or beak his defender down 1on 1 anymore. If those areas are address this off-season then SPURS should be in good position next season.
Seriously look at the crappy Small forward and guard play we had and we still could have had the 3-4th best record in the West.
DG - should come off the bench for a real SG who knows how to dribble or be moved via trade. Respect him and all he has done for SA, but time to go.
id be down to what White could offer from the PG position. Boy can shoot and breakdown a defense in half court set.

TD 21
04-25-2018, 05:50 PM
The problem with Murray isn't just his shot (though it will obviously improve some, virtually every big PG's tops out as below average shooter), it's the lack of a single foundational offensive attribute (speed, quickness) or skill (ball handling, finishing, passing, vision) to build off of. He might physically look and sound the part of a foundational player, but if he wasn't a Spur, I question how many would feel confident in his becoming one.

He also times poorly with the majority of the roster, specifically Aldridge. Even if he becomes the star many seem to think, Aldridge won't be at that point, leaving them in the same position they're in now.

But the only scenario where I don't think Murray is the starter, is if Leonard is traded and it's to the 76ers, with Fultz being the centerpiece of the package

This is going to be unpopular, but I'm okay with them giving Mills and Murray more time as the starting backcourt. They complement each other well. In a world where Kawhi stays, Patty is a good fit for the SL. Murray should get more time to develop. I've been quite pleased with his progress so far, but him getting real offense is critical to his future, and this is the off-season where that needs to happen. I'd never rule out making a move for an All-Star caliber PG if one becomes available. But like a few others on the team, he deserves a chance to show what he's got after an off-season where he knows what's going on.

Still think they need to upgrade the overall guard talent though, and that includes finding a guy who can be a real sixth man. Manu and Parker and Green should be out the door (though Danny opting in and being traded would be better than him just walking). White should get a chance at a rotation spot, but the team needs to use whatever flexibility they have on getting a vet guard to run with him. Dunno who'd that'd be.

Team definitely needs a big in the draft though, but I guess if someone like Trae Young falls, you've gotta take him and figure everything else out later.

Mills, Murray and Parker, will more than likely comprise 75% of the guard rotation. Murray and Parker can't play together offensively, while Mills and Parker can't play together defensively. So by default, that means Mills and Murray have to be paired together.

Murray and Parker are useless off ball and a dynamic guard would be wasted playing off ball next to inferior offensive players. In other words, they don't need to bring the latter in to supplement those two, but upgrade them (which isn't happening).

tholdren
04-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Its not unpopular. Its just stupid. A catch and shoot three pointer and a visionless pg who cant play off ball. Stick to salary cap

spurraider21
04-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Murray/White back-court should work just fine

tholdren
04-25-2018, 05:57 PM
Murray/White back-court should work just fine

Retard

BackHome
04-25-2018, 06:26 PM
White will be a good PG he is 6’4 has great handles good vision likes to dish and able to attack rim. It’s a shame he didn’t get more playing time cause we would have gotten 50 wins for sure. I am not giving g up on Murray but may the best man win.

daslicer
04-25-2018, 06:31 PM
White will be a good PG he is 6’4 has great handles good vision likes to dish and able to attack rim. It’s a shame he didn’t get more playing time cause we would have gotten 50 wins for sure. I am not giving g up on Murray but may the best man win.

Agreed White is good to have because he's going to push Murray to get better. Murray better develop a jump shot or he could lose his starting job to White.

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 12:16 PM
The problem with Murray isn't just his shot (though it will obviously improve some, virtually every big PG's tops out as below average shooter), it's the lack of a single foundational offensive attribute (speed, quickness) or skill (ball handling, finishing, passing, vision) to build off of. He might physically look and sound the part of a foundational player, but if he wasn't a Spur, I question how many would feel confident in his becoming one.

He also times poorly with the majority of the roster, specifically Aldridge. Even if he becomes the star many seem to think, Aldridge won't be at that point, leaving them in the same position they're in now.

But the only scenario where I don't think Murray is the starter, is if Leonard is traded and it's to the 76ers, with Fultz being the centerpiece of the package

Mills, Murray and Parker, will more than likely comprise 75% of the guard rotation. Murray and Parker can't play together offensively, while Mills and Parker can't play together defensively. So by default, that means Mills and Murray have to be paired together.

Murray and Parker are useless off ball and a dynamic guard would be wasted playing off ball next to inferior offensive players. In other words, they don't need to bring the latter in to supplement those two, but upgrade them (which isn't happening).

Good post.
Basically, unless there's a trade, hoping Murray improves and looking forward to White is all there is. We shall see. I have more hope in white than I do Murray at this point. His lack of shooting wouldn't bother me so much if he had other PG skills as you said. He's poor running a PNR. He's below average getting to the basket and finishing. I agree with you that if he wasn't a Spur people wouldn't bat an eye or propose trades to get him... There's things to like about him tho, so hoping for the best at this point.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Parker at 19 years old averaged over 17 PPG on 50% against the greatest defensive PG of all time in his 1st playoff series.
Murray, who is 2 years older, playing in his 4th series, couldn’t average 8 PPG on worse shooting and couldn’t average 2 assists.

I’m not saying he has to be HOF, but when your starting PG can’t average 2 APG or score and already has playoff experience, there’s a major problem.

Name other point guards at Murray's age that have done better... There is a very short list... And all of them were chosen higher... U are setting the bar way too high... Dude is 21...Parker was up against an old Payton... And played with Duncan... Come on now... Murray isn't playing with anyone of that caliber... AND he isn't a hall of famer... For goodness sakes Murray has been playing better than Fultz... And Fultz is the first pick! Relax

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Don't get why ppl say Murray can't dribble... The guy clearly has a lot of ball handling skill... You dumb fucks make him seem like Danny Green... And with all the talks of his turnovers he has been averaging a very small amount after the all star break when he was made the starter...

He makes great reads and passes at times... U rarely see a point guard at his age averaging a ton of assists... And u would never see it with the type of offense we were running this year... Murray's minutes and role on offense (very low usage rate) wouldn't permit him to get a lot of assists... Combine that with the type of teammates he had that could barely hit a three, or finish at the rim, and u begin to see the issue...

SpursDynasty85
04-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Don't get why ppl say Murray can't dribble... The guy clearly has a lot of ball handling skill... You dumb fucks make him seem like Danny Green... And with all the talks of his turnovers he has been averaging a very small amount after the all star break when he was made the starter...

He makes great reads and passes at times... U rarely see a point guard at his age averaging a ton of assists... And u would never see it with the type of offense we were running this year... Murray's minutes and role on offense (very low usage rate) wouldn't permit him to get a lot of assists... Combine that with the type of teammates he had that could barely hit a three, or finish at the rim, and u begin to see the issue...

Bro. You getting ahead of yourself. Murray's handles and offense for a pg in today's NBA is probably near dead last. The point is: he made strides this year and is a great defensive pg now. Even the defensive part took him a while and I think because he was getting noticed for his defense he became more confident in the offensive end as well. If he can shoot with the c ok confidence he did in game 4 consistently the we might have something. But that was just one game.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Bro. You getting ahead of yourself. Murray's handles and offense for a pg in today's NBA is probably near dead last. The point is: he made strides this year and is a great defensive pg now. Even the defensive part took him a while and I think because he was getting noticed for his defense he became more confident in the offensive end as well. If he can shoot with the c ok confidence he did in game 4 consistently the we might have something. But that was just one game.

Nah bro... Every scout had Murrysville handles as one of his strengths... and when u watch the games, he is supper quick with it on his crossovers... He had issue with being shaky, but I promise u that had a lot to do with nerves... He hasn't had that issue once he became comfortable in the second half of the season... He rarely turned the ball over

raybies
04-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Y’all ready to give up on Murray is silly. The kid is mad young. Y’all wanted to give up on Aldridge last year against these same Warriors and look the difference a year makes... The kids advantage at this point of his career is his length at position. Unfortunately for him tho, Kerr decided to go big rather than let him go off with Cook guarding him. The dude was guarded by elite defenders that were all bigger than him. Thompson, Iggy, Durant, and Draymond... That’s a bad matchup unfortunately.

But as for skill he’s not that far off. Just needs to hit the corner three, elbow two and floater consistently and the kid will be an all star. All things he flashed this season and series. His playmaking and vision is underrated and the way y’all make it sound is like he doesn’t have any. The kid became a borderline elite defender in two years which was always the first step to realizing his potential. With this kids work ethic and attitude I think it’s a bad bet that he’s incapable of improving offensively. I look forward to him at the helm next year and believe he should have the minimum of his rookie contract to see where he is.

SpursDynasty85
04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Nah bro... Every scout had Murrysville handles as one of his strengths... and when u watch the games, he is supper quick with it on his crossovers... He had issue with being shaky, but I promise u that had a lot to do with nerves... He hasn't had that issue once he became comfortable in the second half of the season... He rarely turned the ball over

I've seen his scouting highlights. He looked nothing like an NBA pg. He was a young Jamal Crawford. pg handles are a totally different beast imo. Have you seen the drills these guys have to do now in the offseason? Its ridiculous.

What I will say is Murray does not appear like crossing people and taking it to the hoop in the half court like TP, CP3, or other great pgs could do will happen. Murray currently runs sets that allow him to do very little dribble penetration. He kind of drifts away from penetration and gives it off to the bigs to distribute or Mills and Manu. Actually, even when he matures his game I am not sure this NBA will have seen anything like him. He is like a long skinny grasshopper. Maybe a young Shaun Livingston type player? He doesn't have quite the knack for scoring as Crawford.. .. Who do you think he can develop into?