PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Would you offer Leonard the $219m extension

spurs1990
04-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Let's get a measure of what San Antonio Spurs fans online are thinking as of right now (your view is subject to change as the summer evolves).

Just a simple yes or no question, knowing everything you've learned through this entire 2018 season.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Hell no

Trade him for a $6 Munchie Meal from Jack in the Box

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Absolutely..I lost a lot of respect for him, but you don't pass on elite talent..

Hopefully he isn't broken for good, obviously..if everything is straight with his body, he'll probably be in redemption mode next season..

If they can get an A+ package for him, I wouldn't oppose, though..

philldafunk
04-25-2018, 09:51 AM
I really wish I had an idea of what his form is, what kind of workouts is he doing etc.

barbacoataco
04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Had to vote no. To me there are two options-
1. He has a chronic injury that will always be a problem. And he is the kind of player that needs his athleticism to be elite.
2. He doesn't want to be with the Spurs.

Either of these is a problem.

I guess it is possible that everything has been blown out of proportion and he can come back as a Spur and regain his form. Even though I voted No I am hoping to be wrong and that he will come back and dominate.

BackHome
04-25-2018, 09:58 AM
NOT NO BUT HELL NO

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Had to vote no. To me there are two options-
1. He has a chronic injury that will always be a problem. And he is the kind of player that needs his athleticism to be elite.
2. He doesn't want to be with the Spurs.

Either of these is a problem.

I guess it is possible that everything has been blown out of proportion and he can come back as a Spur and regain his form. Even though I voted No I am hoping to be wrong and that he will come back and dominate.

In regards to #2, Aldridge asked for a trade less than a year ago and they put their issues aside..it might be different with Kawhi since his family seemingly makes all his decisions, though:lol

Still, Pop fixed the situation with a guy who wasn't content with being a #2 on a WCF team and would rather be a #1 on worse teams..I think he can resolve the issues with Kawhi's group with a supermax in his pocket if Pop isn't completely turned off by Kawhi..

exstatic
04-25-2018, 10:06 AM
I work in a building that houses one of the more reputable physical therapy/rehab outfits in town, and the Spurs utilize their services. Their employees say that Spurs players they talk to are getting no texts or calls returned by Kawhi. It's worse than anyone thought. Not sure what the thinking of his 'group' is, but PATFO won't be strong armed into anything. This will cost him $35M, the amount of the SuperMax. The Spurs aren't going to maroon him. They'll try to find a combination of assets and a relatively soft landing for him, but if he bolts after this year, he loses ANOTHER $40M, plus one year of contract duration. He will not be traded to the Lakers, because they don't want to reward that behavior, and frankly, their assets are second rate. Their picks are not great, and like always, their young players are over-hyped. I still think it's Boston, and it will happen on draft night so that Boston can pick for us if they flip #8 to use in the deal. PATFO will pull the trigger quickly and end this.

So, my answer is 'no'.

Dex
04-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Impossible to say without knowing his health and mindset.

If he is healthy and actually wants to be a Spur, then you do it without batting an eye.

If he is not healthy or not committed to the organization that made him who he is, then...bye Felicia.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 10:08 AM
In regards to #2, Aldridge asked for a trade less than a year ago and they put their issues aside..it might be different with Kawhi since his family seemingly makes all his decisions, though:lol

Still, Pop fixed the situation with a guy who wasn't content with being a #2 on a WCF team and would rather be a #1 on worse teams..I think he can resolve the issues with Kawhi's group with a supermax in his pocket..

I think Kawhi and his 'group' are being dishonest about his quad to force the issue. LMA was never that, and in fact was straight up with Pop and what his issues with the Spurs and the way they utilized him were.

RD2191
04-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Depends on his health tbh

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2018, 10:09 AM
I think Kawhi and his 'group' are being dishonest about his quad to force the issue. LMA was never that, and in fact was straight up with Pop and what his issues with the Spurs and the way they utilized him were.

Aldridge was a lot more professional than Kawhi(goes without saying), I was just referring to the "not wanting to be a Spur" part..

It's something we've seen throughout NBA history, it can be resolved if both parties are willing to work together..we don't know if Pop and Uncle Leonard want to work it out, though, we'll see..

barbacoataco
04-25-2018, 10:10 AM
The Spurs have a lot to think about. What to do with Leonard? Then they are probably losing (or should be losing) Green, Ginobili, and Parker. Gay could leave or stay. Anderson is meh. Gasol is done but under contract. Murray has promise.

It's really a situation where you could go in a lot of directions. Unlike past years "staying put" is not an option.

Kuestmaster
04-25-2018, 10:17 AM
no way until we see if he's healthy enough again, and if he's ready to commit to the franchise for sure and not make make another disappearance act.

hater
04-25-2018, 10:25 AM
No absolutely not

Once a quitter always a quitter

Ice009
04-25-2018, 10:28 AM
If he's healthy, and if they're pretty sure this tendonosis will be behind him by the start of next season, I absolutely would offer it.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 10:28 AM
no way until we see if he's healthy enough again, and if he's ready to commit to the franchise for sure and not make make another disappearance act.

He was healthy enough to run his camp in China in August, and yet crippled again by the time camp started in September. I don't think Pop trusts him or his 'group' enough to let it play out that long.

SPURt
04-25-2018, 10:33 AM
If he is in fact healthy and this quad won’t cost further seasons, the Spurs should offer it.

Ice009
04-25-2018, 10:34 AM
I work in a building that houses one of the more reputable physical therapy/rehab outfits in town, and the Spurs utilize their services. Their employees say that Spurs players they talk to are getting no texts or calls returned by Kawhi. It's worse than anyone thought. Not sure what the thinking of his 'group' is, but PATFO won't be strong armed into anything. This will cost him $35M, the amount of the SuperMax. The Spurs aren't going to maroon him. They'll try to find a combination of assets and a relatively soft landing for him, but if he bolts after this year, he loses ANOTHER $40M, plus one year of contract duration. He will not be traded to the Lakers, because they don't want to reward that behavior, and frankly, their assets are second rate. Their picks are not great, and like always, their young players are over-hyped. I still think it's Boston, and it will happen on draft night so that Boston can pick for us if they flip #8 to use in the deal. PATFO will pull the trigger quickly and end this.

So, my answer is 'no'.

Darn, I just read this after posting. How come you never mentioned this before. Do you think he's gone? And if the Spurs do make him an offer, I assume you're thinking it will only be for the regular max?

He was healthy enough to run his camp in China in August, and yet crippled again by the time camp started in September. I don't think Pop trusts him or his 'group' enough to let it play out that long.

I don't understand stuff like this. Why would Kawhi sit out and waste a whole season? He loves playing. If he wanted out, I doubt he would sit out a whole season and not tell them he wanted out beforehand. Although that is very strange that he did that camp in China and I didn't hear about any injury and then in training camp he's out for the whole preseason plus start of regular season.

Spurs9
04-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Nope, how long would he be out if he needed surgery on a injury? He wasn’t even near the team, it sends a message he wants out, the rehab in NY was a cover. I think they will try to flip him into draft talent. They really liked Hill but weren’t afraid to flip it to something else. He basically missed the entire season with a injury the Spurs staff cleared him for. I don’t think the Spurs want to pay 220million regardless of talent who’s own team doctors can’t even make decisions on. They aren’t making more of a deal including Kawhi side about wanting out to keep trade value up, since they learned that from Aldridge last summer which hurt his value.

E20
04-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Only if Lebron comes.

Play Boban
04-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Not just no but HELL NO. I wouldn’t offer him a contract for the vet min tbh!

Strategic
04-25-2018, 10:47 AM
He’s been a season in rehab and still doesn’t think he’s ready. There is virtually no sample of his abilities since the injury. I’m looking for amiable options. Just don’t know what all the options are.

ducks
04-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Danny green I think gets text from Leonard

Their might be a rift with Manu and tp though
Both are older and they trust Spurs doctors

SAGirl
04-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Conditional on his health, yes.

It really depends on his health... which we really don't know. Elite talent he may have been, but we don't know if he will ever be that again, or probably what is worse, that you will have a guy in an albatross of a contract not available to play with a sore tendon. Then you will have multiple seasons hating some bench player that is only starting bc Kiwi's leg hurts.

If he can be 100% healthy and the Spurs are sure this thing won't recur once healed, yes. It's possible he could have played this season and not looked all that great and he didn't want to risk his supermax. I don't know. Without knowing his health situation, I really don't know.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Darn, I just read this after posting. How come you never mentioned this before. Do you think he's gone? And if the Spurs do make him an offer, I assume you're thinking it will only be for the regular max?

I don't understand stuff like this. Why would Kawhi sit out and waste a whole season? He loves playing. If he wanted out, I doubt he would sit out a whole season and not tell them he wanted out beforehand. Although that is very strange that he did that camp in China and I didn't hear about any injury and then in training camp he's out for the whole preseason plus start of regular season.

I just heard it today.

I think Kawhi isn't making the decisions. Maybe they thought they could get strong on Pop, or scare them into making the SuperMax offer. I think this blows up in their faces. Pop was an intelligence officer, and is used to looking for the game within the game, even nested several more times. They can't throw anything at him that he's not ready for, but I think he may be able to surprise them. I think this whole thing was designed to make the Spurs make the move to break the bond, to be the 'bad guys', and I think Pop is ready to do that. He may actually already have a trade lined up.

Maddog
04-25-2018, 11:01 AM
There is not enough information to make a call.
Primarily what is his injury and long term prognosis. Supermax contracts are very risky.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 11:01 AM
Conditional on his health, yes.

It really depends on his health... which we really don't know. Elite talent he may have been, but we don't know if he will ever be that again, or probably what is worse, that you will have a guy in an albatross of a contract not available to play with a sore tendon. Then you will have multiple seasons hating some bench player that is only starting bc Kiwi's leg hurts.

If he can be 100% healthy and the Spurs are sure this thing won't recur once healed, yes. It's possible he could have played this season and not looked all that great and he didn't want to risk his supermax. I don't know. Without knowing his health situation, I really don't know.

His 'group' is stupid if they thought that holding him out wasn't itself risking the SuperMax.

SAGirl
04-25-2018, 11:06 AM

So, my answer is 'no'.

That's an interesting insight. I like the Boston assets and have believed they are off the table but I will take them in exchange for Kiwi.

In my eyes Kiwi has devalued himself so much based on how he's handled this, coupled with the real question about what is really going on with that leg. No one wants to have a guy in a massive, repeat massive deal that is going to sit out an entire season and then you have fans hating Kyle (or a similar bench player) who is on a 2 million deal, who soaked up minutes all year waiting for this dude to return at a moment's... errr no... at a "group's moment's" notice. That's not fair to anybody.

Something is going on but I don't know what it is. Kiwi's sister mentioning the business side definitely tells me the supermax is part of it.

SAGirl
04-25-2018, 11:07 AM
His 'group' is stupid if they thought that holding him out wasn't itself risking the SuperMax.
I agree it's shady... which is why I have preferred to think his tendon is really that severely chronically crippled. That is still not worth the supermax...

Ice009
04-25-2018, 11:10 AM
I just heard it today.

I think Kawhi isn't making the decisions. Maybe they thought they could get strong on Pop, or scare them into making the SuperMax offer. I think this blows up in their faces. Pop was an intelligence officer, and is used to looking for the game within the game, even nested several more times. They can't throw anything at him that he's not ready for, but I think he may be able to surprise them. I think this whole thing was designed to make the Spurs make the move to break the bond, to be the 'bad guys', and I think Pop is ready to do that. He may actually already have a trade lined up.

I really don't want Kawhi gone. Darn. I hope he really was injured and didn't try and do what you're saying his camp might have to either get the Supermax or to force his way out if they don't offer it.

boutons_deux
04-25-2018, 11:14 AM
"why I have erred in thinking his tendon is really that severely chronically crippled"

you haven't erred. K has a chronic condition that may never be well enough for him to play at his best.

what was "his group" to have done differently?

If K can't pass the physical, and I'm sure it will be concentrating on that leg, he won't be signed to any contarct.

K...
04-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Related question, would you hate the Spurs if they didn't offer the super Max to Lenard?

I wouldn't. It's a hard world to succeed in a small market.

SAGirl
04-25-2018, 11:16 AM
"why I have erred in thinking his tendon is really that severely chronically crippled"

you haven't erred. K has a chronic condition that may never be well enough for him to play at his best.

If K can't pass the physical, and I'm sure it will be concentrating on that leg, he won't be signed to any contarct.
fixed it in my original post... my sentence was weirdly constructed and didn't really convey what I wanted to say.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 11:20 AM
That's an interesting insight. I like the Boston assets and have believed they are off the table but I will take them in exchange for Kiwi.

In my eyes Kiwi has devalued himself so much based on how he's handled this, coupled with the real question about what is really going on with that leg. No one wants to have a guy in a massive, repeat massive deal that is going to sit out an entire season and then you have fans hating Kyle (or a similar bench player) who is on a 2 million deal, who soaked up minutes all year waiting for this dude to return at a moment's... errr no... at a "group's moment's" notice. That's not fair to anybody.

Something is going on but I don't know what it is. Kiwi's sister mentioning the business side definitely tells me the supermax is part of it.

He'll have to play next year, if he's traded. It's his contract year, and none of this fake injury shit and personal doctors are going to fly. He's not injured, and is a top asset. As a front office, you have to decide what kind of relationship you will have with his 'group'. That will determine what you will flip in return. His position will not be very strong. He will be in a strange environment, and trying to earn a new contract, just having pissed away $35M

duncan2k5
04-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Ppl saying Aldridge handled it better last year are stupid... Ppl are criticizing Kawhi based on speculation...

We KNOW last year Aldridge didn't say ANYTHING to anyone until he couldn't get traded... No one wanted him, so he HAD to patch up and have the talk with Pop... So let's not act like he was being 100 from the beginning...

Right now ppl are just speculating Kawhi has issues, even though he, his uncle, pop, and the players here say otherwise

exstatic
04-25-2018, 11:22 AM

He'll pass any physical. There is nothing that shows on even an MRI. THAT'S why the Spurs cleared him. Everything else is just bullshit and games.

boutons_deux
04-25-2018, 11:26 AM
He'll pass any physical. There is nothing that shows on even an MRI. THAT'S why the Spurs cleared him. Everything else is just bullshit and games.

Spurs docs then agreed with the NY docs.

The ultimate Decider, Decision is between K and his leg.

All the he-man bullshit about playing through (leg, ankle) pain is just 3rd party bullshit.

Along with the pain is often muscle weakness, and of course, inability to forget the pain totally and play "manly". this ain't the fucking drug-poluted, sadistic/masochistic NFL

DPG21920
04-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Yes. I would offer it and hope he takes it. Getting Kawhi under contract for more years is the best outcome regardless of if SA wants to keep him or not.

If he wants to stay that is great. But if not, sign him and now you have a TON more leverage since teams trading for him would know he’s locked in for 5 years.

SAGirl
04-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Related question, would you hate the Spurs if they didn't offer the super Max to Lenard?

I wouldn't. It's a hard world to succeed in a small market.
No I wouldn't.

Last season and coming into this season when he was expected to be an MVP favorite, it was unquestionable he was worth it in my mind.

Right now, there is a lot that is questionable... starting really with his health.
1. He may never play at that level again.
2. He may play at that level but in a very inconsistent fashion, not be able to sustain it, and then get injured again... He may give flashes of the Kiwi of old. Flashes are not worth a supermax deal. He has to be able to perform like that night after night.
3. The possibility he has chronic severe tendinopathy... or some degenerative condition... things that have ended careers.
4. I remember Pop saying this exact words: "It's just an unfortunate situation." No one wants these things to happen. Spurs would not have wanted their star player to get this thing on his leg, Pop might even feel sorry for him on a personal level bc they know the injury represents a huge loss of future income no matter what, but on a business level, they can't pay it if they know he won't be perfectly fine going forward and free of the chronic thing nagging him rest of his career.

I just can't assume he's missed an entire season and he will be just fine. That is a lot of time... Unless his group is strong arming Pop... In that case, I don't know how you fix that either.

Mugen
04-25-2018, 11:33 AM
If he's healthy and you're confident he can return to form, you offer it no question tbh. It's the only path to contention/relevancy for the next 5 years.

Now I could see Pop being over his BS and trading him out of spite but that's pretty much admitting that you don't plan on contending anytime soon.

But yeah, if he's healthy and want to be a contending team you offer it no question.

sammy
04-25-2018, 11:35 AM
No!!!!!! Unless our doctors see him and pronounce him healthy without this BS whining I'm hurting, the Spurs are not going to attach the entire franchise to this dude who can't even sit/offer support with his team during the playoffs! He doesn't deserve the max contract after all of this BS this season! He's nothing but a quitter!

sananspursfan21
04-25-2018, 11:36 AM
My beef with Boston is that I feel like they won’t part with Brown and Tatum. Of the two, I’d prefer Brown because he’s the most similar to Kawhi I feel like. I love his emphatic putback dunks :wow

LkrFan
04-25-2018, 11:37 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGYbORgD5_kCs2TUdYT4A26u2faWLZ-q79N4s-Yi9p2e03iHPG

SpurOutofTownFan
04-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Without knowing exactly what is going on with his injury is hard to say YES. At this point I'd say NO but it's all up in the air right now

baseline bum
04-25-2018, 11:45 AM

So, my answer is 'no'.

Fuck the soft landing spot, I'd trade him to the Sinaloa Basketball League if I could. If he pulls the same act PG13 did by saying he won't sign an extension with anyone but the Lakers I'd just suspend him next season. I don't want the Lakers crap and I don't see the point of wasting any minutes for Leonard to audition for his new team while in a Spurs uniform next year. Let's see how long he'll be ok with having a second season away from the game. I think threatening and then carrying through with a season long suspension is the only way they're going to get any leverage to get a decent return in trade.

Keepin' it real
04-25-2018, 11:45 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/25/69/3025692a1ca773724404e497ba1b830d.jpg

Mugen
04-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Definitely understand if people hate KL and want to fuck him over out of spite. But if you take all emotion out of it, getting him to accept a long term extension is BY FAR the ideal scenario for the Spurs tbh.

baseline bum
04-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Definitely understand if people hate KL and want to fuck him over out of spite. But if you take all emotion out of it, getting him to accept a long term extension is BY FAR the ideal scenario for the Spurs tbh.

It means he'll have to play a full season here auditioning for his new team and then he'll be making so much the Spurs will have to take a really bad contract in return in any trade. I'm not rewarding that fucker for quitting on the team and then taking another Gasol on the roster while also wasting another season with a Leonard completely out for self and his own numbers.

duncan2k5
04-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Ppl saying he isn't worth much because he was out for an entire season are just silly... Is Ben Simmons worth shit now because he missed an entire year?

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Absolutely. It's not like PATFO will do anything with the money saved, so why not pay the guy making them look good...

dbreiden83080
04-25-2018, 12:36 PM
To me he has to come back and prove his value next season. It’s quite possible he is simply extremely injury prone. Imagine having somebody making more money than any player has ever made in the history of the team, and they are constantly out dealing with injuries. He has to come back and show us that he is still a great player. Quite frankly he needs to show the entire league. He missed an entire season. He and his stupid uncle are not swinging some big hammer in this off-season. The Spurs are not going to get top value in a trade.

dbreiden83080
04-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Absolutely. It's not like PATFO will do anything with the money saved, so why not pay the guy making them look good...

Who the hell did he make look good this season? What?

dbreiden83080
04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
Without knowing exactly what is going on with his injury is hard to say YES. At this point I'd say NO but it's all up in the air right now

Can’t do it. And that is why only teams with GM’s that are ready and willing to get fired over a bad result, would offer up top value for him in a trade. He could be extremely injury prone. Imagine a team giving up top draft picks and he is sitting out most of next season again.

offset formation
04-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Let's get a measure of what San Antonio Spurs fans online are thinking as of right now (your view is subject to change as the summer evolves).

Just a simple yes or no question, knowing everything you've learned through this entire 2018 season.

You should qualify it that he averages only 58 games per year moving forward, as he has to date now, with this season included.

That might change some votes.

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Who the hell did he make look good this season? What?
Don't act stupid.

dbreiden83080
04-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Don't act stupid.

Do you have an answer? What did he do? He didn’t play all year. Did I miss something? You must’ve watched a different season.

hater
04-25-2018, 12:50 PM
The poor bastard cannot even wipe his own ass let alone sign a contract

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Do you have an answer? What did he do? He didn’t play all year. Did I miss something? You must’ve watched a different season.
He's made PATFO look great with back-to-back 60+ win seasons despite having mediocre talent around him which included Aldridge at the time.

Why on earth would he sacrifice money so they can give Fathead and Faggy Danny some nice big paydays? :lol

boutons_deux
04-25-2018, 01:06 PM
a long term extension is BY FAR the ideal scenario for the Spurs tbh.

he'd be very smart to do that

Spurs would be very stupid

he gets the contract, but the Spurs NEVER get a 2014/15/16 season from him again? what if he misses many 10s of games/season?

I wonder how the Spurs insurance companies, and their docs, evaluate K's futures.

dbreiden83080
04-25-2018, 01:13 PM
He's made PATFO look great with back-to-back 60+ win seasons despite having mediocre talent around him which included Aldridge at the time.

Why on earth would he sacrifice money so they can give Fathead and Faggy Danny some nice big paydays? :lol

It’s funny how one season changes everything. Because everybody was on his bandwagon the last two years. He earned that. Now he must re-earn that. There are consequences for blowing off an entire season. You can’t pretend it didn’t happen.

SpursforSix
04-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Fuck it. I would offer it too him.

Either:

1) he signs and comes back healthy as it top 5 player
2) he turns it out and confirms he's a faggot
3) he signs but it's a career altering injury so the Spurs just have one more overpaid player on the roster.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Fuck it. I would offer it too him.

Either:

1) he signs and comes back healthy as it top 5 player
2) he turns it out and confirms he's a faggot
3) he signs but it's a career altering injury so the Spurs just have one more overpaid player on the roster.

The last year of the SuperMax would be $49M. You can't carry that as deadweight. That's damn near double what Pau and Patty make, combined.

SpursforSix
04-25-2018, 01:31 PM
That's damn near double what Pau and Patty make, combined.

Sounds right. He's at least twice as good as those two combined. Injured or not.

BackHome
04-25-2018, 02:41 PM
You would have to be a fucking idiot to sign this china doll

-21-
04-25-2018, 05:17 PM

If what you're saying is correct then it would be a huge disappointment and I wouldn't blame Pop if he doesn't offer the supermax. It's such a shame, Kawhi seemed like a good guy, I don't think any of us ever expected any drama from him but his 'group' totally blindsided us.

Anyway, I wonder what the Spurs can actually get in exchange for a 1-year rental of Kawhi. I imagine everyone would try lowball to PATFO.

cd021
04-25-2018, 05:23 PM
If the meeting goes well and he can explain why he abandonned the team.
Instead of the full 35%, I hope PATFO only offers him 32% or 33% of the cap.
Spurs could save millions per year and take advantage of the situation.

John B
04-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Kawhi is a once-in-a-lifetime player, who doesn’t come around too often in a small market like San Antonio. That’s ticket sales for the next 5 years and more. FO will suck up and forget nothing happened. But Kawhi needs to do his part to attract big name FA. He can’t just sulk in the corner for people to read his mind. He’s a special who other players want to play with when he is at his best, albeit including LeBron. I’m a Spurs fan since 1988. We’ve been spoiled with being a contender except when DRob was hurt. Keep the winning tradition. :flag:

AFBlue
04-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Kawhi has likely peaked and proved this season he can't be relied on to carry the franchise forward. Sell now.

SnakeBoy
04-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Yes. Losing Kawhi means full rebuild mode which could take years or decades to get a team capable of contending.

AFBlue
04-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Yes. Losing Kawhi means full rebuild mode which could take years or decades to get a team capable of contending.

Losing Kawhi doesn't automatically mean the Spurs plunge into rebuild mode. It would depend on the return in a trade. They made it to the playoffs without him already. I'm sure they wouldn't get fleeced in a deal for him and end up worse than they were without him.

DMC
04-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Since no other superstar is going to come to SA, even for big money, I'd offer it to Kawhi. If he takes it, he's staying. I'd take him staying over rolling the dice with the G-league, old washed up stars and Euroballers.

DPG21920
04-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Since no other superstar is going to come to SA, even for big money, I'd offer it to Kawhi. If he takes it, he's staying. I'd take him staying over rolling the dice with the G-league, old washed up stars and Euroballers.

He can take it or even a different contract from SA and still leave. There are reasons for both, even if Kawhi wants out and SA wants him out, to ink a deal together.

BackHome
04-25-2018, 10:50 PM
We made playoffs with out him we trade him we will make playoffs again.

DMC
04-25-2018, 11:05 PM
We made playoffs with out him we trade him we will make playoffs again.

That ship has sailed. The goal shouldn't be "make the playoffs". We should either compete for a championship or rebuild.

vander
04-25-2018, 11:41 PM
That ship has sailed. The goal shouldn't be "make the playoffs". We should either compete for a championship or rebuild.

we've already seen peak Kawhi, he'll probably never be that good again, he'll continue be out with injury about a 3rd of the time, and he'll cost a 3rd of the cap

you consider that competing for a championship?

r0drig0lac
04-26-2018, 05:59 AM
we've already seen peak Kawhi, he'll probably never be that good again, he'll continue be out with injury about a 3rd of the time, and he'll cost a 3rd of the cap

watch wcf gm1 2017 and see what Kawhi was doing against the most cowardly stacked team of the decade (maybe ever?), this is the definition of "competing for a championship," and it will only be possible with a player of this level

Brazil
04-26-2018, 07:17 AM
We have not enough elements to answer this question... nobody knows the extent of this drama tbh.. only a few know really what's going on. Either way I trust Spurs FO to make the right choice

noles1983
04-26-2018, 08:17 AM
We have not enough elements to answer this question... nobody knows the extent of this drama tbh.. only a few know really what's going on. Either way I trust Spurs FO to make the right choice

I don't trust PATFO to not play with their own feces after paying Patty Mills $50 million and Gasol $48 million. They have been fucking trash at making decisions the last few years.

szkorhetz
04-26-2018, 08:22 AM
watch wcf gm1 2017 and see what Kawhi was doing against the most cowardly stacked team of the decade (maybe ever?), this is the definition of "competing for a championship," and it will only be possible with a player of this level
We had no chance. Game one was fools gold, we made every shot, they missed a lot. Fluke game.

Brazil
04-26-2018, 11:32 AM
I don't trust PATFO to not play with their own feces after paying Patty Mills $50 million and Gasol $48 million. They have been fucking trash at making decisions the last few years.

well that's your opinion even if it's a dumb one I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise

noles1983
04-26-2018, 11:43 AM
well that's your opinion even if it's a dumb one I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise

Truth hurts my dude

daslicer
04-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Kawhi is a once-in-a-lifetime player, who doesn’t come around too often in a small market like San Antonio. That’s ticket sales for the next 5 years and more. FO will suck up and forget nothing happened. But Kawhi needs to do his part to attract big name FA. He can’t just sulk in the corner for people to read his mind. He’s a special who other players want to play with when he is at his best, albeit including LeBron. I’m a Spurs fan since 1988. We’ve been spoiled with being a contender except when DRob was hurt. Keep the winning tradition. :flag:

He's not going to ever attract FA's. He's not a social person and is a dumb mute. That's who he will always be for the rest of his life. Expecting Kawhi's personality to change is pretty stupid its like those idiots that thought Trump's personality would change after being elected president.

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Sounds right. He's at least twice as good as those two combined. Injured or not.
Prepare yourself to watch a series of random GLeague players or washed up minimum vets be the SF starter for years... That's basically what you are saying.

kaji157
04-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Whatever team that wants him has to agree to take both Gasol and Mills. That would be my starting point.
Then a solid big and a serviceable sg/sf and two first.

spurs1990
04-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Well 100 votes in and I admit I was clearly not reading the temperature with Spurs fans correctly, expecting a vast majority opposing the offer.

I appreciate the thought that having Leonard under a longer contract allows SA room to maneuver in future trades should the relationship sour even more.
My only thought is that will lead to further breakdown in the organization, especially if we're buying into this 'Spurs Culture' idea that has been in place since Duncan came aboard.

I vote no and it's based on all of what we've heard from media reports over the last months. Even if all is not entirely accurate there's enough of it to suggest the player and team are at odds.

So this will be like in the summer of 2001, where Derek Anderson (also coming off an injury) ended being traded because he felt insulted by the FO, and I believe Popovich wanted to move on as well. Not comparing DA to the level of a player of Leonard, but there's definitely some good pieces around the league that can make an impact on the Spurs, a lot stronger than Steve Smith in '01-'02.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Should be the biggest story in the league this offseason alongside James' future in Cleveland.

offset formation
04-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Well 100 votes in and I admit I was clearly not reading the temperature with Spurs fans correctly, expecting a vast majority opposing the offer.

I'm actually completely shocked it's basically 50/50.

Imagine this time last season asking this same question and having someone tell you it would be 50/50, about a month before they can offer it?!?

You'd have told them they were out of their minds.

DMC
04-26-2018, 03:17 PM

Yes. You either go for the championship with what you can get or you rebuild. The "making the playoffs" mantra is for teams that routinely miss the playoffs.

DMC
04-26-2018, 03:19 PM

Still stuck in the Jordan era pay rates I see.

superbigtime
04-26-2018, 03:20 PM
I don't think they should.

elemento
04-26-2018, 03:22 PM
If he wants to stay, sure no doubt

What's 200m to Kawhi Leonard, a top 5 player in the NBA, when the Spurs just gave 100m to Paulina and Mills ?

Brazil
04-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Truth hurts my dude

truth ? :lol

sure thing

TD 21
04-26-2018, 04:41 PM
If he wants to stays, sure no doubt

What's 200m to Kawhi Leonard, a top 5 player in the NBA, when the Spurs just gave 100m to Paulina and Mills ?

Exactly. Teams are required to spend a minimum of 90% of the cap. So they can pay an average of $43-44M annually to a top 5 player or they can spend at least a significant portion of it on a combination of significantly lesser players.

How they get to the point of making an offer is going to require a considerable amount of finesse though. To paraphrase Wojnarowski (and as was obvious), they're not going to walk in and make the offer immediately. It's a fine line between kowtowing and being stern and they've got to tightrope it. Fortunately, I think Pop is suited to run point on this.

As far as the players being involved in the decision and ownership needing to be sold, I'm not concerned with that. Players want to win and my sense is their relationship with him is more estranged than dislike, while ownership will probably follow Pop and Buford's lead and recommendation.

SpursforSix
04-26-2018, 04:51 PM
Prepare yourself to watch a series of random GLeague players or washed up minimum vets be the SF starter for years... That's basically what you are saying.

I'll just go back and watch the seasons where they won rings.

Or I'll watch a shit load more Netflix.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Would I??????????????????

http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.664f3efcddddc5f42bc50e9f2fc6c491&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fiSKFt pF2HzneE%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=iAiBS5rpVYKu1P%2fRMcLoeA

weeks
04-26-2018, 07:26 PM
i agree with the mindset that you sign him to the longest contract you can to increase his trade value
either way you offer it, yes

offset formation
04-26-2018, 07:54 PM
i agree with the mindset that you sign him to the longest contract you can to increase his trade value
either way you offer it, yes

No. Then you have rewarded his behavior with max payout. You have to set down a marker that you won't be trifled with like this, not only as an organization but also as a member of the NBA in solidarity with other franchises hopefully doing the same to prevent these sorts of antics.

Again, had he just had himself ruled out and sat on the bench and been fully involved with the team, offer him the supermax all day long. But his AWOL BS negates that imo.

bklynspursfan
04-27-2018, 09:00 AM
We had no chance. Game one was fools gold, we made every shot, they missed a lot. Fluke game.

Hardly lol. The only one missing shots really was Durant, and probably had something to do with Kawhi on him, cause he went off once Kawhi went out.

Raven
04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
... i mean duh?

exstatic
04-27-2018, 09:21 AM
If what you're saying is correct then it would be a huge disappointment and I wouldn't blame Pop if he doesn't offer the supermax. It's such a shame, Kawhi seemed like a good guy, I don't think any of us ever expected any drama from him but his 'group' totally blindsided us.

Anyway, I wonder what the Spurs can actually get in exchange for a 1-year rental of Kawhi. I imagine everyone would try lowball to PATFO.

The thing is, he's losing an IMMEDIATE $35M by forcing the trade. If he walks from whatever team we trade him to, he loses ANOTHER $40M, plus one year. No matter what he's done, the Spurs will still try to find him a soft landing. Like Boston. There would be no reason to leave a strong EC contender to take a lot less money from the dumpster fire that is the LAL. If they strike out this summer, they're fucked. They'll have to go back into tank mode. That team of young players was TWELVE games worse than the most disfuncitonal Spurs team in two decades. Their talent isn't good enough to improve into a contender, and their picks are meh, middle of the pack.

If you'll notice what I bolded, you'll see that if 'everyone' is in the mix, we won't get low balled. Someone will geek, and then the bidding war is on.

duncan2k5
04-27-2018, 10:13 AM
I don't want on of you with over the top negative comments to say ANYTHING good about Kawhi next year when he is killing the league after he signs the supermax

Rummpd
04-27-2018, 03:06 PM
Anybody yes is getting played unless he confirms can play and passes physical and fires uncle!

wildbill2u
04-27-2018, 05:00 PM
Looks like the best deal is Boston's #8 plus one of their better players. I haven't looked at their roster to see who might be available and we would want. I feel we are getting screwed by Kwahi for no good reason.