View Full Version : General 2018 NBA Draft Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Chinook
04-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Spurs' 2017 draft picks:
Spurs First round pick – 18th overall
Spurs Second round pick – 49th overall

Players available for the 2018 draft:
International players born in 1996 and college seniors are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 96, 97 or 98 (it doesn't get any more believable) can enter in the draft.

Key dates:

April 11-14: Portsmouth invitational tournament (results https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/16/nba-draft-sleepers-portsmouth-invitational-college-seniors)
April 13: Nike Hoop Summit in Portland (results) http://www.oregonlive.com/hoop-summit/index.ssf/2018/04/rj_barrett_powers_world_to_89-.html
April 22: Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 15: Draft Lottery
May 16-20: Draft combine in Chicago
June 11: Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 21: NBA Draft in NY.

Links:

Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/) (Though it sucks now)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
Tankathon (http://http://www.tankathon.com/)
Future Draft Picks (https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed)

DAF86
04-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Chances of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Dzanan Musa falling to 18?

spurs50_
04-25-2018, 03:21 PM
How about Chandler Hutchinson?......I hope we don't screw this up.

BackHome
04-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Zhaire Smith 6’5 SG
Micheael Robinson 7’1 Center
Robert Williams 6’9 PF/C

AFBlue
04-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Gotta get a big man, right? I mean, I know the league is going small ball and stretch bigs, but Lamarcus and Pau can't be the only options. Would love to us be aggressive and move up if necessary. A guy like Robert Williams or Johntay Porter should be in the range.

BackHome
04-25-2018, 05:50 PM
That s why I am hoping we can trade Kawhi to Phillly or Boston get a good player and another higher draft pick we could easily get him and our starting SG. Hell with Philly having like 7 picks we could probably get all four guys mentioned above. Lol

objective
04-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Hey, why was the Milutinov thread deleted?

Anyways:
1. Robinson
2. Zhaire
3. R. Williams

CGD
04-25-2018, 09:56 PM
Gotta get a big man, right? I mean, I know the league is going small ball and stretch bigs, but Lamarcus and Pau can't be the only options. Would love to us be aggressive and move up if necessary. A guy like Robert Williams or Johntay Porter should be in the range.

Feels like there are so many holes that they just have to take best available. For example, if Manu and Green are gone, whats the plan for the starting 2? White looks like a solid prospect, but does he start?

BackHome
04-25-2018, 10:54 PM
Where is Nikola Thread?

Ditty
04-25-2018, 11:24 PM
Zhaire Smith or Mitchell Robinson. Nuff said.

MR-Clutch
04-26-2018, 12:21 AM
Thestepien.com is a decent replacement to draftexpress although the content isn't nearly up to date as it used to be.

BackHome
04-26-2018, 01:58 AM
Ditty so what’s the hype on this kid who has never played a collage game nor a professional game? Not being a smart ass honestly want to know what he can bring to the team and what is he good at?

objective
04-26-2018, 07:26 AM
I'm not Ditty but I like Robinson. I didn't for awhile, when I only watched the high school baseline cam footage. High hips like everyone says, skinny, will be hard to keep position, easily bodied around and bullied by NBA athletes. And it's harder for me to judge things from the angle, so much in the way.

But after watching footage from a traditional broadcast angle, I could really see the positives. He is really fast for his size, and his size is legit 7 feet+. And his jump and reach radius is just stunning. He has the same kind of positives as Robert Williams but is 3-4 inches taller and looks like he can gain the proper muscle and just be the right combination of huge, long, and fast. Add that to his rep as a major shotblocker and rim protector, and he should be able to be a Whiteside if everything goes fine, or a Capela if everything goes better. With proper training he might be switchable. If not, he could still be a rim protecting big who runs the floor and spaces vertically.

Downsides are he has a rep for attitude and/or personality, stuff that could derail him. Even with his head on straight, he might be 2 years away. And that's 2 legit years, not fake 'get over yourself in the g-league even though you can play right now' Spurs years.

Not that it matters much, I think he'll be off the board by the time the Spurs pick.

fair breakdown

https://www.thestepien.com/mitchell-robinson/

AFBlue
04-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Robinson seems like the anti-Spur tbqh.

duncan2150
04-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Not that high on Williams, maybe i'm wrong but i think he's a little bit weak physically to succeed a la Thon Maker. But if he can progress he could be something really interesting with his mobility, lenght ect....

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 01:18 PM
I'm not Ditty but I like Robinson. I didn't for awhile, when I only watched the high school baseline cam footage. High hips like everyone says, skinny, will be hard to keep position, easily bodied around and bullied by NBA athletes. And it's harder for me to judge things from the angle, so much in the way.

But after watching footage from a traditional broadcast angle, I could really see the positives. He is really fast for his size, and his size is legit 7 feet+. And his jump and reach radius is just stunning. He has the same kind of positives as Robert Williams but is 3-4 inches taller and looks like he can gain the proper muscle and just be the right combination of huge, long, and fast. Add that to his rep as a major shotblocker and rim protector, and he should be able to be a Whiteside if everything goes fine, or a Capela if everything goes better. With proper training he might be switchable. If not, he could still be a rim protecting big who runs the floor and spaces vertically.

Downsides are he has a rep for attitude and/or personality, stuff that could derail him. Even with his head on straight, he might be 2 years away. And that's 2 legit years, not fake 'get over yourself in the g-league even though you can play right now' Spurs years.

Not that it matters much, I think he'll be off the board by the time the Spurs pick.

fair breakdown

https://www.thestepien.com/mitchell-robinson/
Thanks for this breakdown.
It gives me pause that you mention he's a legit project with 2 years away IF he works hard and puts in the work, bc then evaluations of work ethic and strong commitment to persevere are key and if he doesn't have a character that makes you believe he will put in the work that he needs, then he's like many other tantalizing prospects that don't amount to anything.... Drafting is a risk anyways but thanks.

lmbebo
04-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Right now, my top 3 (no order)

1. Zhaire Smith
2. Chandler Hutchinson
3. Dzanan Musa

Pass on Robinson. Big project it sounds like ... Maybe if he fell to the 2nd round ...

duncan2k5
04-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Zhaire Smith looks like he would be a great fit alongside Kawhi on the wing as a Danny replacement...

Chinook
04-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Zhaire Smith looks like he would be a great fit alongside Kawhi on the wing as a Danny replacement...

Issue is that whomever trades for Kawhi likely loses their first in the deal.

duncan2k5
04-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Issue is that whomever trades for Kawhi likely loses their first in the deal.

Huh? Bro Kawhi isn't being traded... Chill

BackHome
04-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Spurs are going to do a Maxwell on his ass

AFBlue
04-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Feels like there are so many holes that they just have to take best available. For example, if Manu and Green are gone, whats the plan for the starting 2? White looks like a solid prospect, but does he start?

I don't know about that. I wouldn't take BPA if it was a ball-dominant guard. We already have two young guys that fit the mold. I could see a 3&D wing or a big guy though.

CGD
04-29-2018, 10:08 AM
I don't know about that. I wouldn't take BPA if it was a ball-dominant guard. We already have two young guys that fit the mold. I could see a 3&D wing or a big guy though.

It’s true, but creators are a big need for the team, and the reality is we might need to cycle through a few guys. I hope Murray and White work out, but who knows really.

I do think 3D could be good though, and probably gettable in that range. Not sure what to think about “bigs” in this evolving nba

BackHome
05-01-2018, 05:46 PM
I really wish Pop would have given White more playing time this year so we could have a better idea of our PG position. Tony is done and Mills is. Or a PG and as Murray is a good defender he just doesn’t have the skill sets that I think White has. I kinda compare PG to running backs they have to have good vision to see the defense and how to attack it. They have to have that extra juice to get around someone and they got have that ability to freeze a defender cause he don’t know which way he is going to cut.

AFBlue
05-02-2018, 08:10 PM
It’s true, but creators are a big need for the team, and the reality is we might need to cycle through a few guys. I hope Murray and White work out, but who knows really.

I do think 3D could be good though, and probably gettable in that range. Not sure what to think about “bigs” in this evolving nba

Still a role for mobile bigs that are rim protectors. Of course it helps if they have to have a 15ft jumper, but there's still a valid role for bigs in this NBA.

BackHome
05-02-2018, 11:39 PM
Going big is for all position days of Forbes and Mills are over

objective
05-07-2018, 06:05 AM
Though I like Mitchell Robinson, Zhaire and Robert Williams, I don't think any of them will be there for the Spurs.

But another guy I am interested in is Red Mamba Jr., Kevin Huerter

He's not popping on a lot of mocks yet, but I expect that to change with the combine.

Doesn't turn 20 until August, good wing size at 6-7, should measure with serviceable length, and just a premiere shooter of the three ball with NBA range and quick release. Also has solid playmaking for his position, nice touch, plays tough, and isn't a total cone on defense like a Musa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV3dZCvMy6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbz_z2NzXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQhSWk05kVI

BackHome
05-07-2018, 04:04 PM
If we somehow trade Kawhi and let’s say get Philly 1st and there 2 high second picks the top players I would look at that could be in our range would be:
1. Mohamed Bamba - CENTER- 7’0 with 7’9 wingspan - Great Rim protector - Draft Net has a score of 93
2. Mikal Bridges - SG/SF - 6’7. Good offense and defense player - Draft Net score 94
”I would even consider throwing in Murray to get one of these two”

For our 1st pick I would go:
1. Zhaire Smith - SG 6’5
2. Huerta - SF 6’7 - Based on Objective input

For second round picks from
Philly:
1. Elie Okobo - PG - 6’2 fast scorer could even draft him instead of Zhaire
2. Chandler Hutchison SG/SF - 6’7
3. Keita Bates Diop - SF - 6’7

* Watanabe -SF 6’9 our second round pick like his length against Golden State

Hopefully in the trade we can either loose Gasol or Mills’s looking at getting these draft picks plus the following players from Philly:
1. Markelle Fultz SG - 6’4 - can he be fixed?
2. Darco Saric PF - 23 yrs old avg 14.6pts 6.7rbs

I hope to move or loose 4 out of these 6 players; Gasol, Mills, Joffrey, Green, Forbes, Tony

BackHome
05-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Also I would love to see our foreign drafts come over to have a look:
1. Nikola Milutinov - Center 7’0 - Great fit for half court offense great hands and sets tough screens and can finish at the rim - Ten times better then Joffrey
2. Adam Hanga SG/SG - 6’7 - if Green and Manu are gone bring him in
3. Nemanja Dangubic- SF - 6’7 - yeah he sucked early in his younger days but has really raised his game as of late would love to see him this summer.

Uriel
05-08-2018, 02:02 AM
Also I would love to see our foreign drafts come over to have a look:
1. Nikola Milutinov - Center 7’0 - Great fit for half court offense great hands and sets tough screens and can finish at the rim - Ten times better then Joffrey
2. Adam Hanga SG/SG - 6’7 - if Green and Manu are gone bring him in
3. Nemanja Dangubic- SF - 6’7 - yeah he sucked early in his younger days but has really raised his game as of late would love to see him this summer.
How likely are we to bring over Milutinov this summer?

objective
05-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Interesting 2nd round option is Ajdin Penava. Penava has flip-flopped and finally signed with an agent, so he's in the draft. Previously, he had put his name on the early entrant list and publicly stated that he would still be going back for his senior year to finish his degree, and to basically going to train and withdraw. But I suppose he heard enough feedback to stay in.

Led the NCAA in blocks per game against smaller schools, aided by the fast pace that D'Antoni's brother coaches them to play at. By block% he was I think 11th.

Might be a little too slow for me, but he could be a second round gamble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH8dp1BHOVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmM4XEC8j0

ace3g
05-12-2018, 04:23 PM

objective
05-12-2018, 04:42 PM
How likely are we to bring over Milutinov this summer?

Probably depends on the other moves having priority. If they operate as over the cap and have their MLE to spend, a portion of it can go to Milutinov if they don't have more pressing needs. But if say Green opted out and left, they might feel the pressure to spend the full MLE on another big 2 guard. Milutinov does have NBA buyouts in 2018 and 2019, just don't know how much.

The draft might be a factor also. If Robert Williams slips to them and they take him, they might feel comfortable letting Milutinov stay overseas.

objective
05-12-2018, 04:44 PM

I don't get the love for Simons based on the little footage that's out there.

ace3g
05-12-2018, 08:18 PM
I don't get the love for Simons based on the little footage that's out there.

6'3 guard, hmm where have I seen this story line before...

CGD
05-12-2018, 08:23 PM
6'3 guard, hmm where have I seen this story line before...

Can’t ever have enough of those...

ace3g
05-12-2018, 11:19 PM

BackHome
05-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Why do all the mock draft have us drafting 6’3 midget tweener players?? WHY. Lol

duncan2150
05-13-2018, 05:57 PM

Porter could be a good addition, he does a little bit of everything.

duncan2150
05-13-2018, 06:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH8dp1BHOVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmM4XEC8j0

He didn’t look bad, if we Want a shotblocker with our 2nd round or camp invite, i prefer sagaba konate of West Virginia, panavi looks better overall but konate is more Athletic and could be an interesting Guy in the nba.

https://youtu.be/o7zWg-XYHqM

AFBlue
05-13-2018, 08:18 PM
I like Porter if he's there at 18. Solid big with upside.

MaNu4Tres
05-14-2018, 12:05 AM

Need to stockpile two way wings via 1sts for next few years. Pass on bigs if talent is equal, as they only cover 1 spot in the lineup most of the time.

Two-way wings are rarely available via FA/trade/esp. buyout. This is why such a premium should be placed there in the draft.

Boomersgold
05-14-2018, 08:22 AM
Need to stockpile two way wings via 1sts for next few years. Pass on bigs if talent is equal, as they only cover 1 spot in the lineup most of the time.

Two-way wings are rarely available via FA/trade/esp. buyout. This is why such a premium should be placed there in the draft.

Exactly why Spurs need to draft Yuta Watanabe in the second round. Two way wing, best defender in his conference and a versatile scorer at 6-9. Much quicker and more athletic than Ajdin Penava (from what I've seen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISut6Y-qPvY

AFBlue
05-14-2018, 07:36 PM

I guess if the talent is equal, but our front court is absolute garbage after LMA. If Porter can stretch the D and play big, I think it would be a worthwhile investment. Kid is only scratching the surface of what he could be long-term.

keithington1
05-14-2018, 07:59 PM
1. Lonnie Walker
2. Mitchell Robinson
3. Anfernee Simons

My 3 favorite prospects for the Spurs

MaNu4Tres
05-14-2018, 11:12 PM
I guess if the talent is equal, but our front court is absolute garbage after LMA. If Porter can stretch the D and play big, I think it would be a worthwhile investment. Kid is only scratching the surface of what he could be long-term.

Front court isn't as important as wing play in todays NBA.

I see Jontay Porter worse case Ryan Richards, best case prime role playing Josh McRoberts.

jyra
05-15-2018, 01:44 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs picked Isaac Bonga in the second round.

He is basically a younger, somewhat less slow version of Kyle Anderson. A 6-9 SF with a 7ft wingspan who plays like a PG. He is not a good shooter and only an average athlete. Doesn't turn 19 until November, so most likely another draft and stash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzKDZ-w-QWs

CGD
05-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Im calling the Kings to see if they cough up #2 for LMA

AFBlue
05-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Im calling the Kings to see if they cough up #2 for LMA

You do mean Kawhi, right?

mo7888
05-16-2018, 05:41 AM
You do mean Kawhi, right?

With the kings ownership, he definitely means LMA....

I so think there's a different opportunity here though, if the kings get doncic they may very well be willing to move heild or bogdonovic. We might be able to make a smaller move there.

CGD
05-16-2018, 04:48 PM
With the kings ownership, he definitely means LMA....

I so think there's a different opportunity here though, if the kings get doncic they may very well be willing to move heild or bogdonovic. We might be able to make a smaller move there.

Yeah, it was a poor attempt a humor. Kings being the Kings and all.

duncan2150
05-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Per Jonathan Givony

Mitchell Robinson has withdrawn from all NBA Combine activities, including his team interviews this afternoon, the league informed NBA executives. Unclear if he has a promise, or if he is simply preferring to avoid conducting interviews and a medical examination.

Same Thing for Chandler Hutchinson

Chandler Hutchison has withdrawn from the NBA Combine and canceled all workouts after receiving assurances he's found a "safe landing spot." It appears that he has secured a promise from a team drafting in the 20-30 range. Hutchison is currently slated #24 on the ESPN mock draft

eDizzle20
05-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Per Jonathan Givony

Mitchell Robinson has withdrawn from all NBA Combine activities, including his team interviews this afternoon, the league informed NBA executives. Unclear if he has a promise, or if he is simply preferring to avoid conducting interviews and a medical examination.

Same Thing for Chandler Hutchinson

Chandler Hutchison has withdrawn from the NBA Combine and canceled all workouts after receiving assurances he's found a "safe landing spot." It appears that he has secured a promise from a team drafting in the 20-30 range. Hutchison is currently slated #24 on the ESPN mock draft
Hutchinson looks good that’s in the Spurs range. I’m not as sold as I once was that it is wiser to draft someone that is younger with more development potential so I’m not worried about him being 22. He would a solid fit with the Spurs at the 2 or 3. Who knows? The promise could have come from the Spurs.

Thomas82
05-16-2018, 10:05 PM
My favorite prospects are:

1. Mitchell Robinson
2. Jontay Porter
3. Mo Wagner

MR-Clutch
05-17-2018, 02:36 AM
Several less talked about guys that have my interest:

shake Milton-sg-ball handling sg with a shot and athleticism to get to rim.
Josh okogie-sg 64-7’0 wingspan.

Deanthony melton-will be disruptive guard, reminds me of smart as far as impact he can have on game. If he learns to shoot could be star.

jacob Evans 6”6 guard with iq. 3and with passing

elie okobo- think he will be the best of in this class. Reminds me a little of dame.

kris Wilkes-6-7 sf has good athleticism and length.hes you he’s young enough to work on his handles.

jarred Vanderbilt-very intriguing to me. 6’8 with 7’1 wing span.Unique player great athleticism,best rebounder in class, can handle the ball and is a great passer. Creates his own shots and shots. For others.strong motor and competitive. Kind of like a Ben Simmons light with not as great passing. No jump shot and had multiple foot injuries. Would be a good small ball center for. If he learns to shoot he’ll be an all star

objective
05-17-2018, 01:40 PM
measurements are out

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/

ace3g
05-17-2018, 10:27 PM

ace3g
05-18-2018, 09:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdhF8oBUwAAfpuP.jpg:large (https://t.co/zVgg10YtYC)
View original (https://t.co/zVgg10YtYC)Flag media (https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/#)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/702692830741921792/G1V30-wC_normal.jpg
JeffGSpursZone JeffGSpursZone
(https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone) 2h (https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/997626556091699202)
I have been told by @Matt_Schoch_ (https://twitter.com/Matt_Schoch_/) that USC's Chimezie Metu met with Spurs RC Buford, team brass at the NBA Combine. Said it was a great meeting, hoping he'll get a workout with the team. #GoSpursGohttps://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/NBA_2017_18_SAS/NBA_2017_18_SAS.png (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoSpursGo) #NBAhttps://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/NBA_2017_18_NBA/NBA_2017_18_NBA.png (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBA) #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs)

Paul Garcia pAulGarciaNBA
(https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA) 3h (https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/997609937936289792)
The Spurs have worked out Brian Bowen and interviewed Donte DiVincenzo and Miles Bridges: hoopsrumors.com/2018/05/combin… (https://t.co/RLe2t2DEML)

Andrew Pogar @AndrewPogar
(https://twitter.com/AndrewPogar) 5h (https://twitter.com/AndrewPogar/status/997593050649104384)
#Purdue (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Purdue)'s Carsen Edwards has worked out for the Thunder, Rockets, Spurs and Celtics per @ScottAgness (https://twitter.com/ScottAgness/). Edwards is scheduled to work out with the Nets on May 21 and will also meet with the Pistons and Hawks.

Keith Pompey @PompeyOnSixers
(https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers) 5h (https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/997585374028419073)
#Nova (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nova) post player Omari Spellman has already worked out for the #Celtics (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Celtics), #Timberwolves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Timberwolves), #Nets (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nets) and #Cavs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cavs). He has workouts scheduled with the #Clippers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Clippers), #Lakers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Lakers), #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs) and #Jazz (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jazz) after the #NBACombine (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBACombine).
(https://t.co/XtrJwzggDo)

BackHome
05-18-2018, 11:18 PM
I really like Donte D.

ace3g
05-19-2018, 09:29 AM

FireMicoHalili
05-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Spurs workouts so far:

Omari Spellman
Carsen Edwards
Angel Delgado
Jontay Porter
Elijah Stewart
Drew Eubanks
Brian Bowen

Interview
Donte DiVincenzo
Miles Bridges
Chimezie Metu

Rumored Interest
Anfernee Simons

We can somehow gauge their priorities through draft workouts, albeit piecemeal. Big man definitely a priority, wings next. Baffled by the interest in Simons. Seems like he’s five years away and would add to the considerable glut at guard, bad size for SG. Can say the same for DiVincenzo. Weirded out by the interest in Brian Bowen. If they wanted a Bruce Bowen clone I’d rather they pick Bruce Brown.

AFBlue
05-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Spurs workouts so far:

Omari Spellman
Carsen Edwards
Angel Delgado
Jontay Porter
Elijah Stewart
Drew Eubanks
Brian Bowen

Interview
Donte DiVincenzo
Miles Bridges
Chimezie Metu

Rumored Interest
Anfernee Simons

We can somehow gauge their priorities through draft workouts, albeit piecemeal. Big man definitely a priority, wings next. Baffled by the interest in Simons. Seems like he’s five years away and would add to the considerable glut at guard, bad size for SG. Can say the same for DiVincenzo. Weirded out by the interest in Brian Bowen. If they wanted a Bruce Bowen clone I’d rather they pick Bruce Brown.

Porter has so much upside. One of the youngest in the draft, good mix of skills and IQ, and can add improve his athleticism by just reworking his body (13% body fat). I'd take him in a heartbeat.

rascal
05-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Spurs have to find a way to get into the top 10 and get Mikal Bridges.
He is going to be a star in the league.

duncan2150
05-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Spurs workouts so far:

Omari Spellman
Carsen Edwards
Angel Delgado
Jontay Porter
Elijah Stewart
Drew Eubanks
Brian Bowen

Interview
Donte DiVincenzo
Miles Bridges
Chimezie Metu

Rumored Interest
Anfernee Simons

Not sure about the big priority, you have metu, porter, spellman, eubanks and delgado as bigs. I think the spurs Will Go with the BPA.

duncan2150
05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Porter has so much upside. One of the youngest in the draft, good mix of skills and IQ, and can add improve his athleticism by just reworking his body (13% body fat). I'd take him in a heartbeat.

i like him but With aldridge there im not sur they will take a PF with the 18. Porter could play C but he’s more a PF imo.

Trill Clinton
05-20-2018, 01:55 AM
trent jr or divenczo in the 1st and jevon carter in the 2nd pls

FireMicoHalili
05-20-2018, 03:27 AM
Not sure about the big priority, you have metu, porter, spellman, eubanks and delgado as bigs. I think the spurs Will Go with the BPA.
Priority as to the team’s needs, genius. Of course they’ll go with BPA. But thanks for your valueless insight.

AFBlue
05-20-2018, 07:52 AM
i like him but With aldridge there im not sur they will take a PF with the 18. Porter could play C but he’s more a PF imo.

Their depth behind Aldridge and Pau is non-existent. Porter should be able to play either PF or C.

duncan2150
05-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Priority as to the team’s needs, genius. Of course they’ll go with BPA. But thanks for your valueless insight.

You’re welcome.

duncan2150
05-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Their depth behind Aldridge and Pau is non-existent. Porter should be able to play either PF or C.

I agree. A lot will depends of mulitinov imo.

BackHome
05-20-2018, 09:52 AM
I will say this about this draft they are a lot of good SF and only a few good SG

rascal
05-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Looks like a guy who likes to camp around the 3 point line. Don't see a ton of upside outside of a perimeter shooter who rather camp out standing around the 3 point line.

rascal
05-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Spurs need to make a play to get into the top 10 and get a superior talent who can become a star in the league and that is Mikal Bridges. Porter will not be anything special.

bluebellmaniac
05-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Mulitinov

AFBlue
05-20-2018, 01:17 PM
I agree. A lot will depends of mulitinov imo.

Completely different players in my opinion, both of whom could have a role with the Spurs going forward.

AFBlue
05-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Looks like a guy who likes to camp around the 3 point line. Don't see a ton of upside outside of a perimeter shooter who rather camp out standing around the 3 point line.

Stretch bigs are the standard in the new NBA. Guys like Davis, Towns, Embiid, and Turner spend as much time in the high post and out as they do in the low post. Porter is also a pretty adept passer from that area as well.

Lastly, keep in mind this kid won't turn 19 until the middle of November. He has plenty of time and opportunity to improve his all-around skill set.

AFBlue
05-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Spurs need to make a play to get into the top 10 and get a superior talent who can become a star in the league and that is Mikal Bridges. Porter will not be anything special.

Bridges might be a great get as a 3&D wing, but he dominated as a much older player. Declaring Porter won't be anything when he showed a good skill set and is still so young shows a clear bias.

duncan2150
05-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Completely different players in my opinion, both of whom could have a role with the Spurs going forward.

I agree, what i mean is that i think drafting a player who will be primary aldridge Back up is a little bit weird. But if porter can play C he could be a good addition.

Imo if mulitinov come this summer, we need a guard more than a big.

TD 21
05-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Stretch bigs are the standard in the new NBA. Guys like Davis, Towns, Embiid, and Turner spend as much time in the high post and out as they do in the low post. Porter is also a pretty adept passer from that area as well.

Lastly, keep in mind this kid won't turn 19 until the middle of November. He has plenty of time and opportunity to improve his all-around skill set.

Davis, Towns, Embiid, are elite talents and Turner is a tier below. They provide some range shooting, but they're not stretch bigs. A guy like Anderson is and those types are being phased out, in large part because of their defensive deficiencies.

If they more or less bring this team back, they'll be no room in the rotation for a third traditional big in the near future. The type they need in the pipeline, is the athletic, rim rolling/protecting type.

On Porter . . .

He also lacks a position defensively. Not mobile enough to defend PFs (which are now mostly converted SFs or combo forwards) and not long enough to play C. Even an All-Star caliber player like Love is an awkward fit in today's game for that same reason.

I wasn't criticizing him, it's just the reality of today's league. Even if they do end up going into a retool or rebuild, the question that has to be kept in mind is: when good again, can (insert player) play against elite teams? If the answer is no, then he's not worthwhile.

Since you can really only play one big lineups often and almost exclusively against the elite, if you're not a dual threat defensively, at the rim and in space, you better excel at least at one and hopefully be able to offset your deficiencies at the other offensively.

Considering he'll be a role player, that won't be possible. Even if he becomes a high percentage/volume 3-point shooter, Frye has long been that, yet was virtually unplayable in the previous two Finals.

Unless there's an unexpected drop of a projected lottery pick, if not Porter or Brown Jr, I think they'll select a 3-and-D wing (Thomas, Bates-Diop, Hutchinson, Evans, Frazier).

objective
05-20-2018, 04:55 PM
The Spurs don't need heavy, short armed bigs who can't defend in space and play under the rim, despite how well he might pass or decently shoot threes. Don't really want Porter unless a lot of names are off.

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Agree w Objective and TD21, I do NOT want Porter for their reasons.

Chinook
05-20-2018, 06:36 PM
I like Porter a lot as a fit next to LMA. But I don't like him as a sole big, and with the way the NBA is trending, that's a problem. It's not so much because of his lateral quickness. Folks put too much into mobility in space. It's only a problem when the big is indecisive. Just commit to stopping the three and let the back end of the D handle a drive. His hands also seem pretty good, given that he averaged four blocks/steals per-36. Obviously, you don't get him assuming he's going to be an anchor, but I don't think he'd be a bad defender if he put his mind into that end of the court.

His problem is more on O than anything. As a passer/floor-spacer, he could do what Pau should be doing now. Give him the ball at the top and let him feed guys and can jumpers. When you have a post big like Aldridge to take attention away, that skill-set works really well. However, his lack of inside presence would really hurt spacing if he's the only big. Five guys on the perimeter may as well be three guys in the paint, and a big who won't go into the paint can be checked by nearly any player. Team could realistically switch wings on him without concern, and that makes it hard to force the D into making mistakes. We've seen this with Pau already. A rim-runner or post-first guy would give the offense better balance.

I would look elsewhere at 18, but people have talked about a Deng/25 for Gasol swap. If such a deal were to happen, and Porter is still on the board when it does, then he makes a lot of sense there. Milutinov coming in would only add depth and competition.

AFBlue
05-20-2018, 06:55 PM
The Spurs don't need heavy, short armed bigs who can't defend in space and play under the rim, despite how well he might pass or decently shoot threes. Don't really want Porter unless a lot of names are off.

He's not short-armed...+2.25 inches on wingspan with a 9'1 standing reach. He's also still going to be 18 heading into the season. I'd suggest he's not done growing. I'd also say that his athleticism takes a hit because he doesn't know how to take care of his body yet. I don't think he'll ever be an elite athlete, but he could be serviceable.

I just think it's funny that people are looking at him as a complete prospect when he's not even 19 years old.

Chinook
05-20-2018, 07:01 PM
He's not short-armed...+2.25 inches on wingspan with a 9'1 standing reach. He's also still going to be 18 heading into the season. I'd suggest he's not done growing. I'd also say that his athleticism takes a hit because he doesn't know how to take care of his body yet. I don't think he'll ever be an elite athlete, but he could be serviceable.

I just think it's funny that people are looking at him as a complete prospect when he's not even 19 years old.

The issue with his body is that he needs to lose weight defensively, while offensively he's likely best served wearing more weight and moving closer to the basket. If dropping pounds gave him wing-level mobility, then maybe it makes sense, but it's likely to only make him a little more mobile, and that's only going to make him more of an offensive tweener. A guy who can't reliably score one-on-one can't really make use of his passing ability.

AFBlue
05-20-2018, 07:11 PM
The issue with his body is that he needs to lose weight defensively, while offensively he's likely best served wearing more weight and moving closer to the basket. If dropping pounds gave him wing-level mobility, then maybe it makes sense, but it's likely to only make him a little more mobile, and that's only going to make him more of an offensive tweener. A guy who can't reliably score one-on-one can't really make use of his passing ability.

If he lost the bad weight but gained back mass in muscle, he may not lose speed or athleticism associated with gaining it back. I think he could carry 240lbs of good weight and be a better athlete than he shows today.

TD 21
05-20-2018, 10:50 PM
I like Porter a lot as a fit next to LMA. But I don't like him as a sole big, and with the way the NBA is trending, that's a problem. It's not so much because of his lateral quickness. Folks put too much into mobility in space. It's only a problem when the big is indecisive. Just commit to stopping the three and let the back end of the D handle a drive. His hands also seem pretty good, given that he averaged four blocks/steals per-36. Obviously, you don't get him assuming he's going to be an anchor, but I don't think he'd be a bad defender if he put his mind into that end of the court.

His problem is more on O than anything. As a passer/floor-spacer, he could do what Pau should be doing now. Give him the ball at the top and let him feed guys and can jumpers. When you have a post big like Aldridge to take attention away, that skill-set works really well. However, his lack of inside presence would really hurt spacing if he's the only big. Five guys on the perimeter may as well be three guys in the paint, and a big who won't go into the paint can be checked by nearly any player. Team could realistically switch wings on him without concern, and that makes it hard to force the D into making mistakes. We've seen this with Pau already. A rim-runner or post-first guy would give the offense better balance.

I would look elsewhere at 18, but people have talked about a Deng/25 for Gasol swap. If such a deal were to happen, and Porter is still on the board when it does, then he makes a lot of sense there. Milutinov coming in would only add depth and competition.

It can be overstated, but if you struggle with it, it needs to be made up for with elite rim protection and offensively.

I agree that the 3 should take precedent instead of playing in between in a futile attempt to do both. But, if you do that, it'll either lead to a layup/dunk or if the weak side rotation is timely, a drive and kick 3. The goal of the defense should be to abandon the worst 3 point shooter along the arc, rotate and close late. Of course, that's all easier said than done.

He is. 6'11'' in shoes, with a 7'0.25'' wingspan, is extremely short. That's the height of a center, with a wingspan that's the 2-6 inches shorter than the typical one.

Chinook
05-20-2018, 11:06 PM
It can be overstated, but if you struggle with it, it needs to be made up for with elite rim protection and offensively.

I agree that the 3 should take precedent instead of playing in between in a futile attempt to do both. But, if you do that, it'll either lead to a layup/dunk or if the weak side rotation is timely, a drive and kick 3. The goal of the defense should be to abandon the worst 3 point shooter along the arc, rotate and close late. Of course, that's all easier said than done.

That would be the plan for guys attacking Porter for sure. But I don't think it would be that bad on a club like SA. They rotate extremely well, and so long as Porter gets to where he's supposed to be, they should be able to force a tough shot. Of course, if Pop is running a Mills/Parker backcourt with Anderson, Gasol and Porter as the other front-court guys, then yeah. Money in the bank for the other team, and Pop WILL try such a unit at least once if all five of those players are on the team next year.

He is. 6'11'' in shoes, with a 7'0.25'' wingspan, is extremely short. That's the height of a center, with a wingspan that's the 2-6 inches shorter than the typical one.

We'll know at the combine, but a guy who's 6-9ish with a wingspan over seven feet is not remotely atypical. Most humans have their natural heights pretty close to their wingspans. Players seem to have a couple of inches difference. It's not eight inches, though. I wouldn't even say it's four. Guys like Gobert and Leonard (and Anderson) are freaks. Murray is exceptional at a plus-five. Green is still considered above average with a plus-3.5. Porter isn't going to make waves if he's only plus-2.5, but he should be fine. He's tall enough to where his length is relatively unimportant as it is. He shouldn't be reaching down, and few guys are going to shoot over 9-1 any better than they would 9-4 or whatever.

alfahdlan
05-21-2018, 04:06 AM
I believe Spurs will draft Anfernee Simons in the first round as Tony Parker replacement but with three-point shooting at the outset.
Could open up the offense more.
Good upside.
Barring players movement we could field a line-up like this:

STARTERS: SIMONS, MURRAY, LEONARD, GAY, ALDRIDGE
SECOND: MILLS, GREEN, GINOBILI, ANDERSON, GASOL

Defending on the match up, Simons, Murray, Leonard, Gay will have a field day slashing to the basket.
The second unit can thrive on player movements and threes.

In second round, I prefer a mobile big like PJ Washington.

AFBlue
05-21-2018, 06:03 AM
I believe Spurs will draft Anfernee Simons in the first round as Tony Parker replacement but with three-point shooting at the outset.
Could open up the offense more.
Good upside.
Barring players movement we could field a line-up like this:

STARTERS: SIMONS, MURRAY, LEONARD, GAY, ALDRIDGE
SECOND: MILLS, GREEN, GINOBILI, ANDERSON, GASOL

Defending on the match up, Simons, Murray, Leonard, Gay will have a field day slashing to the basket.
The second unit can thrive on player movements and threes.

In second round, I prefer a mobile big like PJ Washington.

Simons may very well be the pick, but I sincerely doubt he'll play much with the big club in the first two years, let alone start. I'd also be surprised if they went with Simons over a guy like Khyri Thomas, who is much more proven. But, I see the upside.

objective
05-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Jontay already has his combine numbers out, 6-11.5 in shoes, 7-0.25 wingspan.

To me, less than +1 in shoes is short armed for a big

TD 21
05-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Could Spurs be the rumored promise for Hutchinson? Trail Blazers and Bulls have been speculated, but: Boise State forward Chandler Hutchinson abruptly withdrew from the combine and shut down all workouts Wednesday, which league executives believe to be the result of a promise from a team in the range of no. 18 (Spurs and no. 24 (Trail Blazers). https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/21/17374906/nba-draft-combine-rumblings-takeaways

We'll know at the combine, but a guy who's 6-9ish with a wingspan over seven feet is not remotely atypical. Most humans have their natural heights pretty close to their wingspans. Players seem to have a couple of inches difference. It's not eight inches, though. I wouldn't even say it's four. Guys like Gobert and Leonard (and Anderson) are freaks. Murray is exceptional at a plus-five. Green is still considered above average with a plus-3.5. Porter isn't going to make waves if he's only plus-2.5, but he should be fine. He's tall enough to where his length is relatively unimportant as it is. He shouldn't be reaching down, and few guys are going to shoot over 9-1 any better than they would 9-4 or why.

As objective said, the combine numbers are out: http://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=WINGSPAN&dir=1

Porter is 6'10'' barefoot. "6'9ish with a wingspan over seven feet", is fine for a nominal PF or combo forward, but it's not for a player who skews more towards C (defensively). Suffice it to say, these guys are not "most humans", they're freaks. Most centers are plus 4-6, height to wingspan.

Porter is supposedly unlikely to stay in the draft: Multiple league sources say Missouri big man Jontay Porter, the younger brother of Michael Porter, is leaning toward returning to school for his sophomore season. https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/21/17374906/nba-draft-combine-rumblings-takeaways

spurs50_
05-22-2018, 06:49 AM
Saw a mock draft with Spurs picking Kevin Huerter, who made a name for himself at the combine. Anyone heard of this guy?

objective
05-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Saw a mock draft with Spurs picking Kevin Huerter, who made a name for himself at the combine. Anyone heard of this guy?

I like him, he might be comparable to Marco with his shooting and range, plus very good passing and playmaking as a secondary ballhandler type, better then Marco I would hope as Marco's creation game was I feel always overrated.

Tried harder on defense, might still not be a better than neutral defender. But again, hopefully better than Marco.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2018, 02:08 PM
I like him, he might be comparable to Marco with his shooting and range, plus very good passing and playmaking as a secondary ballhandler type, better then Marco I would hope as Marco's creation game was I feel always overrated.

Tried harder on defense, might still not be a better than neutral defender. But again, hopefully better than Marco.

Huerter has some Klay in his game and also some Bertans. He's growing on me. If his wingspan was 6'10"+ ..hed be perfect. His athleticism impressed in the combine.

smaka
05-22-2018, 02:16 PM
My gut feeling, from the very beginning, says the Spurs will go after Dzanan Musa with their pick, and I don't really like it.

pad300
05-22-2018, 03:01 PM
As objective said, the combine numbers are out: http://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=WINGSPAN&dir=1

Porter is 6'10'' barefoot. "6'9ish with a wingspan over seven feet", is fine for a nominal PF or combo forward, but it's not for a player who skews more towards C (defensively). Suffice it to say, these guys are not "most humans", they're freaks. Most centers are plus 4-6, height to wingspan.

Porter is supposedly unlikely to stay in the draft: Multiple league sources say Missouri big man Jontay Porter, the younger brother of Michael Porter, is leaning toward returning to school for his sophomore season. [COLOR=#3b3b3b][FONT=HarrietText]https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/21/17374906/nba-draft-combine-rumblings-takeaways

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/05/21/big-men-playoff-takeaways-2018-draft/

Long, but I think relevant to the Porter question.

TD 21
05-22-2018, 04:07 PM
My gut feeling, from the very beginning, says the Spurs will go after Dzanan Musa with their pick, and I don't really like it.

Although I don't think they've made a promise (no need, since they're considered the absolute peak of his range), I'm leaning Hutchinson. Looks and sounds like a Spur, supposedly has an excellent work ethic and could conceivably fill a significant need for size, two-way play and athleticism on the wing, sooner than later considering he's already 22.

Good article.

No question, Porter could conceivably thrive offensively as a situational player (though if he can't effectively post switches, teams will guard him with wings, thereby limiting his impact), but that doesn't solve the lack of a true defensive position.

Then again, Olynyk looked to have the same issue, yet rates as a solid defender. Granted, he was a PG until a rapid, relatively late growth spurt shot him up to 6'10.75'' barefoot, giving him unique agility for someone that size.

ace3g
05-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Hope the Spurs didn't watch his workout... (short guard who can shoot)

duncan2150
05-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Baylor standout centre Jo Lual-Acuil Jr has conducted pre-NBA Draft workouts with the Atlanta Hawks, San Antonio Spurs and LA Lakers.

Nathan89
05-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Too many missing combine results for players projected around our pick for my liking.

objective
05-23-2018, 06:50 PM

I don't doubt that he will be an NBA player

But I'm tired of players with big brains and slow feet. Give me a big who can contest all over and get vertical to attack.

I'm sure he dribbles awesome and can hit 34% on threes, and pass behind his back. I don't want to see it though, get these slow 2017 Diaws, these Paus, these Slow-mos out of here.

It's a personal preference.

keithington1
05-23-2018, 08:54 PM
I keep thinking the Spurs promised to pick Chandler Hutchison. If they believe in his shot then he'd be perfect for us. I hope this is not the case. I'd much rather have Mitchell Robinson.

duncan2150
05-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Imo the Spurs don’t promise something with the 18. Imagine someone fall , what will they do ?

The promise is lower than 18 for hutchinson.

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2018, 11:37 PM
I don't doubt that he will be an NBA player

But I'm tired of players with big brains and slow feet. Give me a big who can contest all over and get vertical to attack.

I'm sure he dribbles awesome and can hit 34% on threes, and pass behind his back. I don't want to see it though, get these slow 2017 Diaws, these Paus, these Slow-mos out of here.

It's a personal preference.

Preach on.

Joe Schmoogins
05-24-2018, 07:00 PM
Khyri Thomas looks like a perfect fit between Dejounte and Kawhi. He might be a luxury pick, but that perimeter D would be nasty.

ace3g
05-24-2018, 07:14 PM

Thomas82
05-24-2018, 08:45 PM
I keep thinking the Spurs promised to pick Chandler Hutchison. If they believe in his shot then he'd be perfect for us. I hope this is not the case. I'd much rather have Mitchell Robinson.

Cosign!!

pad300
05-24-2018, 11:40 PM

It's been reported that he has a promise at 22 with Chicago

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1708053#p66252613

objective
05-25-2018, 12:16 AM
Anybody who likes Zhaire Smith concerned about how small he measured?

I still like him but damn, under 6-3 barefoot is pretty small.

ace3g
05-25-2018, 01:43 AM
Anybody who likes Zhaire Smith concerned about how small he measured?

I still like him but damn, under 6-3 barefoot is pretty small.

PATFO with the Mr. Burns

https://media.tenor.com/images/3bc06466fab83db4d2192334e877eeaa/tenor.gif

duncan2150
05-25-2018, 04:00 AM
Khyri Thomas looks like a perfect fit between Dejounte and Kawhi. He might be a luxury pick, but that perimeter D would be nasty.

I really like him, 22 yrs old, looks ready and as you said a really good defender. He's small at 6'3 but with a 6'10.5 wingspan.

duncan2150
05-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Former #Mizzou forward Jordan Barnett will work out with the San Antonio Spurs tomorrow, per a league source.

Nathan89
05-25-2018, 07:10 PM

This is the only player that I've looked at so far that caught my attention.

Ellsworth
05-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Another Aztec player... at 6'10... 2nd Rounder?

Jalen McDaniels 2018 Pre-Draft Workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouf7NKINYXc

CGD
05-26-2018, 05:38 AM
Draft day can’t get here soon enough. Gonna be an interesting offseason.

I also wonder if this is going to be like a few years ago when free agency is effectively put onhold while Lebron decides his move.

pad300
05-26-2018, 08:28 AM

Maybe in the 2nd round. But 190 lbs at 6'10" is a red flag to me... Kid is going to get destroyed in the NBA against grown men.

dbestpro
05-26-2018, 10:02 AM
I still am a fan of Bates-Diop if he is still available when the Spurs draft.

keithington1
05-26-2018, 10:15 AM
I'm back on the Troy Brown Jr. train. A 6'7" ball handler with good defense and great shot mechanics. He'd make are team lethal. We could probably let Anderson go or keep him and have a super long team.

Ellsworth
05-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Former #Mizzou forward Jordan Barnett will work out with the San Antonio Spurs tomorrow, per a league source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTh-eHWHvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwu1Sf0K_-M

Ellsworth
05-26-2018, 11:38 AM
I still am a fan of Bates-Diop if he is still available when the Spurs draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdmwwWrKuRM

Ellsworth
05-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Maybe this guy in the 2nd Round or invite him to the Summer League or G-League Team... he's gotten an agent & won't be able to return to LSU.
Looks like a better version of Forbes, but much more aggressive & athletic... at 6'5" with a 6-9 wingspan & a 42-inch vertical.

See how LSU's Brandon Sampson tries to help NBA Draft status at combine (https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/05/brandon_sampson_combine.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNEqGizTzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYkMwsTutdc

spurs50_
05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm all over the map, now I like Bates-Diop, glad I'm not making the draft pick....Even that short guy, Thomas , sound good.

ace3g
05-26-2018, 03:49 PM
Scott Agness scottAgness
(https://twitter.com/ScottAgness) 3h (https://twitter.com/ScottAgness/status/1000429715990220801)
Kris Wilkes, who must decide by May 30th whether to leave his name in the #NBADraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraft), is working out for the San Antonio Spurs.

Ellsworth
05-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Scott Agness (https://twitter.com/ScottAgness)scott (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=150)Agness
3h (https://twitter.com/ScottAgness/status/1000429715990220801)
Kris Wilkes, who must decide by May 30th whether to leave his name in the #NBADraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraft), is working out for the San Antonio Spurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SWe2FRzf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4x-1I0gFt8

FireMicoHalili
05-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Bit weird the Spurs have worked out more second round prospects as compared to names propping up in the first round (Porter; interviews for DiVincenzo and Miles Bridges). Seems they’ve got priorities set for #18 but have lots of choices for #49. Or is that par for the course?

duncan2150
05-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Maybe other prospect don’t communicate a lot about their Workouts. Spurs have Workout spellman and metu who are projected late first/early secound plus di vincenzo/bridges/porter and interest for simmons. They could have an opinion about some players during nba combine scrimmage.

i think a lot of late workouts are for the gleague.

Thomas82
05-27-2018, 03:30 PM
Mo Wagner wouldn't be a bad pickup either if we could get him.

lmbebo
05-28-2018, 12:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SWe2FRzf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4x-1I0gFt8

https://fansided.com/2018/05/10/kris-wilkes-donovan-mitchell2018-nba-draft-sleeper/

ace3g
05-28-2018, 01:13 PM

ace3g
05-28-2018, 08:55 PM

Chinook
05-28-2018, 09:00 PM

Okogie should get a second opinion.

BackHome
05-28-2018, 09:55 PM
Just get in touch with Kawhi camp.

rjv
05-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Okogie should get a second opinion.

or just call parker so he can compare his previous adductor injuries to okogie's.

BackHome
05-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Nay then he will heal up and be ready to play. Better to call Kawhi camp so he won’t have to play. Oh shit he is not getting paid 19 million in one year so I guess he has to call Tony ..SNAP!

BackHome
05-29-2018, 03:23 PM
For second round pick I like a big would go for :

1. Chimezie Metu - 6’10 - 7.0 wing span - 20 yrs old
2. Brandon McCoy - 7’0 - 7.2 wing span - 19 yrs old

Of these two who would do you like? I also read we’re they were looking at some Iceland dude.

rjv
05-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Of these two who would do you like? I also read we’re they were looking at some Iceland dude.

that would have to be Tryggvi Hlinason.

Ellsworth
05-29-2018, 04:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V__8dRw_1wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4svq1IJIvI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70LnMJVkWo

Ellsworth
05-29-2018, 04:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4zTt6NPZs

Ellsworth
05-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Gary Trent Jr. will work out for the team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQpTaG_Wn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BKpYDqr_0E

duncan2150
05-29-2018, 05:19 PM

both are good. I’m not sure they will be there at 49. Metu looks more mobile, can play PF/C, mc coy looks like a typical center.

lmbebo
05-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Gary Trent Jr. will work out for the team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQpTaG_Wn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BKpYDqr_0E

Release looks a bit slow? Almost like he pauses...

bluebellmaniac
05-29-2018, 07:32 PM

Thought it was a joke. Jokes on me.

CGD
05-29-2018, 08:46 PM
With all the work outs so far, do we have a sense of what they might be targeting (guard v big)?

ace3g
05-29-2018, 09:34 PM

MaNu4Tres
05-29-2018, 09:42 PM
With all the work outs so far, do we have a sense of what they might be targeting (guard v big)?

If you haven't learned by now, Spurs work out over 100 prospects every summer.

Take each report w a grain of salt.

MR-Clutch
05-30-2018, 02:27 AM

I love love this kid. He’s a longer term prospect but think could be a huge steal.

Truth4sale$
05-30-2018, 03:32 PM
No Gary Trent Jr. Please, another 1 dimensional shooter. Spurs needs somebody who can take the ball to the hole or at least defend multiple positions and has high upside like Troy Brown Jr

alfahdlan
05-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Hope we draft Lonnie Walker IV, an improved and young version of Jonathon Simmons.

ace3g
05-30-2018, 05:57 PM

objective
05-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Jontay Porter going back to school

Konate going back to school also

lmbebo
05-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Anyone know who espn mock draft had us choosing, caught a little bit of the show the other night

Vic Petro
05-30-2018, 10:14 PM
Anyone know who espn mock draft had us choosing, caught a little bit of the show the other night

Current mock up on the site has them taking Troy Brown:

Troy Brown (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278508/troy-brown)(Oregon)
SG
Height: 6-foot-7 | Weight: 210
A significant part of San Antonio's wing rotation is up for free agency this summer, which means this could be a position the Spurs look to address in the draft.
Brown's size, multipositional defense and upside could be intriguing at this stage of the draft. He's one of the youngest players in this class, and he has the type of character and intangibles this organization always covets. Helping him become a better shooter will be a major key, and the Spurs have an ace up their sleeve in that department with Chip Engelland.
Starting salary: $2,337,000

ace3g
05-31-2018, 12:37 AM
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
(https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN) 3h (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/1002016079663783936)
San Diego State’s Jalen McDaniels will withdraw. Return to school.

rjv
05-31-2018, 11:48 AM
i've seen a few elie okobo to the spurs mocks. nba tv had the spurs picking kyhri thomas in their most recent mock. okobo and thomas share similar traits in their respective scouting reports.

spurs50_
05-31-2018, 12:55 PM
Looks like Gary Trent has the same hairstyle as White and Anderson, bet Spurs draft him.

TD 21
05-31-2018, 06:55 PM
Out of players projected to be available at 18, I now think Thomas is most likely . . .

- Seems like Spurs material
- Projects as NBA ready and could conceivably fill long term need as starting SG and the type of 2 way role player needed, especially vs the elite
- From Paul to rumored interest in Bradley and speculation of them being ready to move on from Green, 3 and D guard/wing has clearly been a recent focus

At 6'3.5'', 199, 6'10.5'' wingspan, his build reminds me of Smart, so he should be able to guard 1-3 and he's not "another small guard".

As much as most of us want a guard who can create and score acquired, the reality is, Leonard, Murray, Anderson and White, are probably going to be the main ball handlers going forward and Parker for another season, too. I'm also skeptical they'd want another ball dominant type who isn't a superstar or star, as it would probably annoy Aldridge and relegate Gay to more of a spot up role.

AFBlue
05-31-2018, 09:46 PM

Caught it. They had usgrabbing Khyri Thomas from Creighton.

BackHome
05-31-2018, 10:54 PM
For what’s its worth Bleacher Report has us taking Elie Okopo PG from France he scored 44 pts on 17 attempts in last week Pro A Playoff game.

duncan2150
06-01-2018, 01:11 AM
#18 seems too high for okobo

agree With TD21 about Thomas he could be their Guy.

ace3g
06-01-2018, 09:03 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34134420_10157579456714552_5943198589688741888_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=daca8905c15f49d997c5f74c190e2412&oe=5BC256FE

objective
06-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Huerter might have become my favorite

MaNu4Tres
06-02-2018, 12:03 AM
If Zhaire, Huerter are off the board at 18, I would love if SA could trade down w Philly and get 26, 38 and 39.

Then try moving 38 and 49 to move up.

Target Keita Bates Diop, Melvin Frazier, De'anthony Melton and Shake Melton.

TD 21
06-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Saw a tweet a few days ago about the Spurs (and Jazz) being interested in Huerter. I know he tested well at the combine, but he's short armed and lacks strength, so even if he's more Korver/Redick than Stauskas, he'd still be difficult to play more than spot minutes vs elite teams.

Whereas Thomas, Hutchinson, Bates-Diop, Evans, Frazier, etc. project as average or better from 3 and defensively.

keithington1
06-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Saw a tweet a few days ago about the Spurs (and Jazz) being interested in Huerter. I know he tested well at the combine, but he's short armed and lacks strength, so even if he's more Korver/Redick than Stauskas, he'd still be difficult to play more than spot minutes vs elite teams.

Whereas Thomas, Hutchinson, Bates-Diop, Evans, Frazier, etc. project as average or better from 3 and defensively. I like some of the guys you listed, mainly Hutchinson and KBD, but we draft at 18. We have a good chance at a potential starter slipping to 18.

ace3g
06-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Captain Obvious

keithington1
06-03-2018, 04:55 PM
If Zhaire, Huerter are off the board at 18, I would love if SA could trade down w Philly and get 26, 38 and 39.

Then try moving 38 and 49 to move up.

Target Keita Bates Diop, Melvin Frazier, De'anthony Melton and Shake Melton.Im starting to warm up to this idea. I really like Jared Vanderbilt with one of those picks.

Uriel
06-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Captain Obvious

Well, at least that gives us confirmation from the local media. On a sidenote, you have to love Jabari. He's the best reporter at delivering inside scoops in the Express-News today. Such a huge upgrade from Jeff McDonald.

duncan2150
06-03-2018, 09:40 PM
https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2018/jun/03/brandon-mccoy-shows-his-skills-in-nba-draft-workou/
McCoy said he has had individual workouts with the Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs, and that NBA teams seem intrigued by his ability to knock down outside shots.

DesignatedT
06-04-2018, 05:54 PM
If Robert Williams is at 18, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him. I don't typically like to draft athleticism only picks and obviously the Spurs don't either but I think he could be a Jordan/Capela type of player in short time and watching him in college I think his free throw/mid-range game will translate a lot better then some of those guys.

ace3g
06-04-2018, 07:48 PM

MaNu4Tres
06-04-2018, 08:12 PM
If Robert Williams is at 18, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him. I don't typically like to draft athleticism only picks and obviously the Spurs don't either but I think he could be a Jordan/Capela type of player in short time and watching him in college I think his free throw/mid-range game will translate a lot better then some of those guys.

Spurs dont need to take a big at 18. It's a very shallow draft for bigs.

SA should make it a priority to target a two way wing. Prefer to stockpile 2 way wings with their 1st round picks for next few years because those players will be filling 3 positions at all times on the floor in modern NBA ( SG- SF- F).

And two-way wings are rarely available via Free Agency/Trade. This is why such a premium should be placed there in the draft for the next few years.

dbestpro
06-05-2018, 08:50 AM

SA should make it a priority to target a two way wing. Prefer to stockpile 2 way wings with their 1st round picks for next few years because those players will be filling 3 positions at all times on the floor in modern NBA ( SG- SF- F).

And two-way wings are rarely available via Free Agency/Trade. This is why such a premium should be placed there in the draft for the next few years.

I think Bates-Diop is the safest pick if available for a two player at 18.

duncan2150
06-05-2018, 03:52 PM
One guy who could be interesting if he slides a little bit is Kevin Knox from Kentucky. Long and young forward who looks like Tobias Harris.

Can score and rebound, needs some Work on D but is not bad.

ace3g
06-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report
(https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report) 4m (https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1004161778824163330)
#Maryland (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Maryland)'s Kevin Huerter is another name gaining steam. Mark Turgeon limited his playmaking and creativity, but personnel people are buying into his upside, not just as a shooter, but as a fluid offensive weapon. Adding to the intrigue? Huerter is only 19 years old. #NBADraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraft)

objective
06-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Unfortunately, if the Spurs valued two way wings they would have kept Simmons and forgot about Forbes and Mills and their ilk.

Watch them draft Troy Brown who has size but combines non-shooting with average and suspect athleticism

objective
06-05-2018, 11:25 PM
Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report
(https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report) 4m (https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1004161778824163330)
#Maryland (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Maryland)'s Kevin Huerter is another name gaining steam. Mark Turgeon limited his playmaking and creativity, but personnel people are buying into his upside, not just as a shooter, but as a fluid offensive weapon. Adding to the intrigue? Huerter is only 19 years old. #NBADraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraft)

I'm starting to think he'll be drafted by the Clippers. Jerry West is smart enough to value what Klay did for Golden State

alfahdlan
06-06-2018, 02:06 AM
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/2018-nba-mock-draft-all-right-pieces-fall-place-bulls-ayton-doncic-bamba-bagley-young-porter-carter-bridges

Miles Bridges to the Spurs @ 18

duncan2150
06-06-2018, 04:11 AM
Unfortunately, if the Spurs valued two way wings they would have kept Simmons and forgot about Forbes and Mills and their ilk.

Watch them draft Troy Brown who has size but combines non-shooting with average and suspect athleticism

Simmons went To Orlando because he wants a bigger role,i’m not sure the will value brown more than huerter.

A lot will depends off workouts, and as you Said brown athetic tests were not that good.

imo they want more an SG/SF than a SF/PF if kawhi stay, with gay probably coming back also.

Chinook
06-06-2018, 05:21 AM
So as folks probably see, I added a few new prospect threads. I have it set up in an Excel generator now that makes it really quick to create threads once I have all the info in the SS. Pretty soon now, I'm going to be putting a version of the SS as the prospect Index thread pretty soon. I'll revisit the columns next year, but for now, we're going with Tankathon, NBADraft.net and RealGM.

What threads do people want to see at this point? We only have like two weeks left before the draft, but that's enough time to get into some of these picks. You're welcome to still make threads yourselves, but it'd likely be faster to just send me the relevant info, and I can plunk it into the SS and update. The less info I get, the more research I'll have to do, which means the longer it will take for the thread to come out. But as I said, it's no big deal regardless. Should be able to turn a good deal around every day.

rjv
06-06-2018, 09:55 AM
So as folks probably see, I added a few new prospect threads. I have it set up in an Excel generator now that makes it really quick to create threads once I have all the info in the SS. Pretty soon now, I'm going to be putting a version of the SS as the prospect Index thread pretty soon. I'll revisit the columns next year, but for now, we're going with Tankathon, NBADraft.net and RealGM.

What threads do people want to see at this point? We only have like two weeks left before the draft, but that's enough time to get into some of these picks. You're welcome to still make threads yourselves, but it'd likely be faster to just send me the relevant info, and I can plunk it into the SS and update. The less info I get, the more research I'll have to do, which means the longer it will take for the thread to come out. But as I said, it's no big deal regardless. Should be able to turn a good deal around every day.

that would work. the only other thing that would be nice would be any links to the prospects' scouting reports although i think we can locate most of these on our own through sites like draft net.

Drom John
06-06-2018, 10:21 AM
18 team logo
CBS NCAA BB: 2018 NBA Mock Draft: This two-round projection is dominated by big men at the top
Matt Norlander, 23 hours ago [AKA 5 June 2018]

Spurs

Khyri Thomas | Creighton | Jr | SG

Another player I'm slotting higher than most others. Think he'd be a great fit with San Antonio, and think if he wound up going to the Spurs their system would wind up turning him into a lesser version of Kawhi Leonard. Maybe the best two-way player in this draft, and he's bigger than his 6-3 frame indicates on paper

and 19th in the second round

19 Spurs

Devonte' Graham | Kansas | Sr | PG

Undervalued because of his size. Winning player. Yes, the Spurs make sense here.

Drom John
06-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Sports Illustrated: 2018 NBA Mock Draft 8.0: What Happens if the Kings Pass on Luka Doncic?
Jeremy Wood, June 05, 2018

49. Spurs: Jarred Vanderbilt, F, Kentucky | Fr.

Drom John
06-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Bleacher Report: NBA Mock Draft 2018: 1st-Round Predictions and Elite Prospects Breakdown
Zach Buckley, June 6, 2018

18. San Antonio Spurs: Kevin Huerter, SG, Maryland

Drom John
06-06-2018, 11:13 AM
SEC Country: 2018 NBA mock draft: Projections for first round, top players, 2018 NBA Draft order (June 6, 2018)
Connor Riley

18 San Antonio Kevin Huerter Maryland SF Soph.

Drom John
06-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Yahoo! Sports: 2018 NBA mock draft 3.0: Mohamed Bamba's stock is rising
Jordan Schultz, Jun 5, 2018, 3:13 PM

18. San Antonio Spurs: F Keita Bates-Diop, Sr., Ohio State

The Big Ten Player of the Year measured extremely well at the combine, posting a 7-3 wingspan while showcasing his stellar shooting ability. Bates-Diop should be able to contribute from Day 1 on both ends of the floor. At 22, he has a high floor, but his ceiling may be limited, which is why he should last until the late teens. 2.0 position: 15

rjv
06-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Spurs

Khyri Thomas | Creighton | Jr | SG

Another player I'm slotting higher than most others. Think he'd be a great fit with San Antonio, and think if he wound up going to the Spurs their system would wind up turning him into a lesser version of Kawhi Leonard. Maybe the best two-way player in this draft, and he's bigger than his 6-3 frame indicates on paper

the first NBA TV draft also had khyri thomas going to the spurs. they liked his shooting (NBA range with a little bit of a slow release) and they especially loved his defense.

DPG21920
06-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the work! I’m going to the draft again this year too. Just booked flights and bought tickets.

Drom John
06-06-2018, 12:44 PM
northjersey.com: 2018 NBA Mock Draft: Projecting how the first round could go
Chris Iseman, Published 9:19 a.m. ET June 6, 2018 | Updated 11:55 a.m. ET June 6, 2018

18. San Antonio Spurs

Kevin Huerter, G; Maryland

Huerter shot 41.7 percent from the perimeter this past season for the Terrapins.

duncan2150
06-06-2018, 12:50 PM
the first NBA TV draft also had khyri thomas going to the spurs. they liked his shooting (NBA range with a little bit of a slow release) and they especially loved his defense.

Maybe the best perimeter defender of this draft.

Drom John
06-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Fansided: Busting Brackets: NBA Draft 2018: Complete Mock Draft following college decisions
Lukas Harkins, 2 hours ago [AKA 6 June 2018]

18. San Antonio Spurs – F Kevin Huerter, Maryland

Kevin Huerter has soared up draft boards since electing to remain in the NBA Draft. He had a solid sophomore campaign with Maryland but represents an intriguing prospect for the next level. Huerter has an excellent 3-point stroke and plenty of range to extend to the NBA line. In addition, he boasts above-average size and was excellent at the NBA Combine.

Naturally, this is the type of player who fall right into the lap of Coach Pop and the Spurs before they turn him into an elite rotation player by the end of his second season. Yes, I am being sarcastic but would anyone really be surprised? This is the highest the Spurs have picked in the draft in a long time and you can be sure the front office has done their homework.

49. San Antonio Spurs – F Justin Jackson, Maryland

spurs50_
06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Give me Huerter or Diop....

Chinook
06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
that would work. the only other thing that would be nice would be any links to the prospects' scouting reports although i think we can locate most of these on our own through sites like draft net.

I couldn't find a database like DX. The Tankathon link has some videos and NBADraft.net has its "scouting"

Chinook
06-06-2018, 03:07 PM
So every player mentioned in this thread since my post this morning has a profile. Keep it going. I'll be back at my computer late tonight.

TD 21
06-06-2018, 05:25 PM
The Ringer should be added. With DrafExpress damn near defunct, they're the most comprehensive source for draft information extant.

imo they want more an SG/SF than a SF/PF if kawhi stay, with gay probably coming back also.

:tu Think they specifically want a Green replacement, which is why I don't buy the Huerter hype.

unless they commit to Aldridge as a full time C sooner than later, a combo forward would probably have difficulty earning a substantial role. That's why I think a guard/wing is more likely. Young claims they're "eyeing an athletic wing".

Wings are becoming like international bigs in the early 00s. There's going to be a lot or teams reaching in the coming years in an attempt to mold players who faintly, vaguely, conceivably, theoretically are 3 and D types, but few who actually excel at both or even either.

Thomas looks like he has the potential to excel at both, particularly defense and sooner than later. He's got a near perfect body type to defend virtually every elite guard.

If retained, obviously Leonard will need to be the primary defender vs elite combo forwards, but they need to spare him the burden of being so vs elite wings/power guards and Murray is too slight for that.

objective
06-06-2018, 05:28 PM
I'll try to add some podcast links for relevant players later.

Ray Spalding might be worth a thread as a second rounder. Will try and post his numbers and stuff later also.

keithington1
06-06-2018, 08:10 PM
The Spurs should select Chandler Hutchinson if they miss out on Miles Bridges, Kevin Knox, Zhaire Smith, and Lonnie Walker. Do you agree?

dbestpro
06-06-2018, 08:12 PM
So every player mentioned in this thread since my post this morning has a profile. Keep it going. I'll be back at my computer late tonight.

Thank you for your time.

rjv
06-07-2018, 11:01 AM
The Spurs should select Chandler Hutchinson if they miss out on Miles Bridges, Kevin Knox, Zhaire Smith, and Lonnie Walker. Do you agree?

unless the spurs make a trade, walker isn't going to be on the board. i would prefer that they take khyri thomas over hutchinson if both are still there.

duncan2150
06-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Nbadraft has Jerome Robinson from Boston College now at 18. Their mock is a little bit strange with walker at 23 for example.

rjv
06-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Nbadraft has Jerome Robinson from Boston College now at 18. Their mock is a little bit strange with walker at 23 for example.

walker at 23? that is nuts. even if he gets past charlotte, there is no way he's still around at 23.

Drom John
06-07-2018, 01:12 PM
nj.com: Latest NBA Mock Draft 2018: Will Luka Doncic or Deandre Ayton go No 1 to Suns? Marvin Bagley, Mohamed Bamba rising; Mikal Bridges sliding
Eliot Shorr-Parks, Posted June 07, 2018 at 07:58 AM | Updated June 07, 2018 at 08:02 AM

18. San Antonio Spurs: Landry Shamet, G, Wichita State

The Spurs are nearing a complete franchise overhaul, as both Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker wil likely soon be gone. Shamet is an elite athlete, has excellent size and could end up being a steal with the coaching of Gregg Popovich.

Scouting report: After an excellent freshman season, Shamet has become one of the best lead guards in the nation this year ... He has ideal size for the point guard position in the NBA at at 6-4 with long arms ...While he does in large part make up for it with his high-IQ and skill, Shamet’s lack of burst off the dribble will limit his upside at the next level ... At the college level, it does not hinder him that often, but in the NBA he will be up against much more explosive and skilled guards every single night (via NBADraft.net)

duncan2150
06-07-2018, 01:30 PM
walker at 23? that is nuts. even if he gets past charlotte, there is no way he's still around at 23.

Yes, they always have strange things in their Mocks.

Drom John
06-07-2018, 01:40 PM
nbadraft.net: Consensus Mock 2018
(262 users) Updated: 6/7/18 4:10 am

49 San Antonio Kevin Hervey 6-8 215 SF/PF Texas Arlington Sr.

Drom John
06-07-2018, 01:48 PM
DraftExpress according to Reddit:

49) SAS- Isaac Bonga

Drom John
06-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Chat Sports: Here Is Our Latest 2018 NBA Mock Draft: Version 3.0
By Mitchell Renz, June 7, 2018

#18 - PG Elie Okobo

Drom John
06-07-2018, 02:05 PM
Fansided: Sir Charles in Charge: 2018 NBA Mock Draft 5.0: Mo Bamba crashes the top 3; Trae Young falls
Michael Saenz, 6 hours ago [AKA 7 June 2018]

18. San Antonio Spurs – Donte DiVincenzo, G, Villanova

Donte DiVincenzo blew up onto the NBA Draft stage during the NCAA Championship, and his rise up draft boards hasn’t stopped. He was arguably the best performer at the draft combine and there are whispers that he could jump into the top 15 picks.

I still don’t buy all that, but I do think he’s going to make some team in the 15-25 range very happy. That happens to be the San Antonio Spurs here.

With the Spurs, DiVincenzo could be molded into the player that San Antonio needs him to be. And right now, they really need a new wave of young talent.

Chinook
06-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Damn it, Drom. :lol

Drom John
06-07-2018, 02:20 PM
schleggdaddytv: 2018 NBA MOCK DRAFT (June 5th Edition)

49. SA- Matur Maker PF Canada

Drom John
06-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Damn it, Drom. :lol

:bobo

I caught up at work.

Chinook
06-07-2018, 02:26 PM
:bobo

I caught up at work.

:bike:

I'll leave you to it then. I'll update them when I get home from work. As you may have seen, I have a new index thread going, to keep track of all the threads I've been churning out.

Drom John
06-07-2018, 02:31 PM
I've made umpteen pages in the past. I stopped this year when I got swamped at work. Had a couple submitted that got delayed. I like the new system.
What I want is a page on Spurstalk before the selection is made so that it is ready to be jumped on draft day. I want the focus to be on the possibles. We don't need a page on Ayton.
Last year I created the pages for White and Blossomgame. Prescient? No. Scattershot? Yes.

Chinook
06-07-2018, 02:38 PM
I've made umpteen pages in the past. I stopped this year when I got swamped at work. Had a couple submitted that got delayed. I like the new system.
What I want is a page on Spurstalk before the selection is made so that it is ready to be jumped on draft day. I want the focus to be on the possibles. We don't need a page on Ayton.
Last year I created the pages for White and Blossomgame. Prescient? No. Scattershot? Yes.

I like having the top 10 guys just because people like to talk about them. Also this year, we don't know how high the Spurs may end up picking. We can rule out Ayton in all likelihood, but I think there's at least some chance of the team drafting anyone else as part of a package for Kawhi. Once I add Makur tonight, the prospect list will consist of 65 players. By draft night, I think it will get up to the low 80s. Scattershot indeed.

Drom John
06-07-2018, 02:39 PM
ESPN: NBA Draft: Overall Best Player Remaining

This seems to be set up as a draft day tracker.

Malik Newman
6'4"182 lbs Kansas
3 POS RK [PG]
18 Overall

and remaining at Kansas

Lagerald Vick
6'5"185 lbs Kansas
11 POS RK [SG]
49 OVR RK

keithington1
06-07-2018, 03:23 PM
unless the spurs make a trade, walker isn't going to be on the board. i would prefer that they take khyri thomas over hutchinson if both are still there.Would you rather have Avery Bradley or Kyle Kuzma?

rjv
06-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Would you rather have Avery Bradley or Kyle Kuzma?

at this point, i would take kuzma but that's also partially because bradley has dropped off somewhat over the past two seasons. personally, i always thought he was overvalued.

DPG21920
06-07-2018, 03:41 PM
I like having the top 10 guys just because people like to talk about them. Also this year, we don't know how high the Spurs may end up picking. We can rule out Ayton in all likelihood, but I think there's at least some chance of the team drafting anyone else as part of a package for Kawhi. Once I add Makur tonight, the prospect list will consist of 65 players. By draft night, I think it will get up to the low 80s. Scattershot indeed.

I agree the draft is exciting enough to discuss all players and what they do for other teams. At least I personally enjoy that.

keithington1
06-07-2018, 06:40 PM
at this point, i would take kuzma but that's also partially because bradley has dropped off somewhat over the past two seasons. personally, i always thought he was overvalued. Thats why I'd rather have Hutchinson. Thomas will be a super role player

FireMicoHalili
06-08-2018, 01:06 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandler_Hutchison

who in hell is Hutchinson???

FireMicoHalili
06-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Musa to work out with Spurs https://mobile.twitter.com/GNYR_82/status/1004561563284623363

keithington1
06-08-2018, 05:39 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandler_Hutchison

who in hell is Hutchinson???If you don't know you don't belong in this thread.

FireMicoHalili
06-08-2018, 11:50 AM
If you don't know you don't belong in this thread.
There’s a Hutchison all right not sure about your Hutchinson. Must be difficult to get names right even with internet. And sure man this thread is all yours :lol

Gordy58
06-08-2018, 12:14 PM
It’s happening, his first workout is with San Antonio, Manu is someone he looks up to haha

Drom John
06-08-2018, 01:10 PM
MyNBADraft.com
updated June 7th

Rawle Alkins
Ht/Wt: 6' 4/220 lbs
Position: SG
Team: Arizona
Class: Sophomore

spurs50_
06-08-2018, 01:22 PM
No more shorty's...

Drom John
06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Walter Football: 2018 NBA Mock Draft: Round Two
June 2, 2018

San Antonio Spurs: Wenyen Gabriel, F, Kentucky, 6-9, Soph.

Gabriel brings versatility to the floor and could his niche in the NBA as someone who can guard either forward spot.

FireMicoHalili
06-08-2018, 07:59 PM
It’s happening, his first workout is with San Antonio, Manu is someone he looks up to haha
Some people here don’t like him and the Bertans comparison is fair. He’s another skinny white dude with range. Downsides include t-Rex arms, a bad back, and lack of muscle. I don’t get how people dislike him and end up liking Huerter since the latter looks like another Steve Novak. They essentially have the same game.

I see something in this kid though. He can create his own shot and has a bit more athleticism than Bertans did as compared to his pro days in Europe. Not scared to get to the rim either. A few more shot creators on the Spurs won’t hurt, especially with Manu almost gone.

Gordy58
06-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Some people here don’t like him and the Bertans comparison is fair. He’s another skinny white dude with range. Downsides include t-Rex arms, a bad back, and lack of muscle. I don’t get how people dislike him and end up liking Huerter since the latter looks like another Steve Novak. They essentially have the same game.

I see something in this kid though. He can create his own shot and has a bit more athleticism than Bertans did as compared to his pro days in Europe. Not scared to get to the rim either. A few more shot creators on the Spurs won’t hurt, especially with Manu almost gone. yeah I wouldn’t mind him at all if he was picked with #18 however I feel like we can do better, I love the fit Hutchinson would bring, he’s perfect for today’s game, it would be awesome if we had a starting lineup of Murray, White, Hutchinson, Kawhi, and LMA. Some nice athleticism, youth, defense, and three point shooting.

CGD
06-08-2018, 09:22 PM
This Game 4 is so painful to watch. Can we just move on to the draft already, lol

duncan2150
06-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Adam Zagoria: Georgia Tech’s Josh Okogie is getting a lot of interest in the teens & 20s for the NBA Draft, (https://hoopshype.com/social/) per league source. Has worked out for Brooklyn, Boston, Atlanta, Lakers, Denver, San Antonio and the Bulls. Has more workouts coming with San Antonio (again), Portland & Golden State. 13 hours ago (https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1187623/) – via Twitter AdamZagoria

(https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria)

FireMicoHalili
06-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Adam Zagoria: Georgia Tech’s Josh Okogie is getting a lot of interest in the teens & 20s for the NBA Draft, (https://hoopshype.com/social/) per league source. Has worked out for Brooklyn, Boston, Atlanta, Lakers, Denver, San Antonio and the Bulls. Has more workouts coming with San Antonio (again), Portland & Golden State. 13 hours ago (https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1187623/) – via Twitter AdamZagoria

(https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria)
He’s working out for San Antonio (again) because he injured himself working out for the Grizz. There is interest but not interest the tweet seems to convey that he’s working out for the Spurs a second time.

duncan2150
06-09-2018, 09:08 AM
I know, thanks fire. I put it just to know that he finally worked out for the spurs. Really interesting prospect but probably out of reach with our picks ( too high for the 18 and too low for the 49).

Gordy58
06-09-2018, 10:07 AM
He’s working out for San Antonio (again) because he injured himself working out for the Grizz. There is interest but not interest the tweet seems to convey that he’s working out for the Spurs a second time.
I thought he got injured during his workout for SAS?

Gordy58
06-09-2018, 10:08 AM
I really feel that our #18 pick is super valuable, I’m sure we’ll get plenty of offers from teams wanting to move up.

Chinook
06-09-2018, 10:29 AM
I thought he got injured during his workout for SAS?

Nah. He got hurt the workout before, and SA's doctors diagnosed the injury.

keithington1
06-10-2018, 07:50 PM
So far I'm sold on Zhaire Smith, Anfernee Simons, and Kieta Bates Diop.

ace3g
06-10-2018, 10:03 PM

duncan2150
06-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Per Michael Scotto : Troy Brown (Oregon) worked out for the San Antonio Spurs today, a league source told The Athletic. Brown is projected to be selected No. 18 overall by the Spurs in our latest mock draft.

Chinook
06-11-2018, 12:39 AM
All right. I updated the Index with threads for everyone mentioned since Thursday. I also added in the rest of the top prospects. Remember to use the Index if you get lost. The total database is currently 67 players, and we have threads for 49 of those guys. Eventually, I will have threads for the remaining 18 (fully entered and ready to go, but I didn't want to spam the forum too much), but if there's any prospect missing from there that you're interested in, let me know.

spurs50_
06-11-2018, 10:05 AM
What if Leonard decides to stay and the best available player is a small forward?

look_at_g_shred
06-11-2018, 10:12 AM
What if Leonard decides to stay and the best available player is a small forward?
You draft him because Kyle is most likely gone.

spurs50_
06-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Works for me, i have some small forwards on my list of potencial draft picks...

duncan2150
06-11-2018, 11:14 AM

The good thing is that there are not a lot of good sf in this draft. You have bates-diop maybe hutchison who is an Sg/Sf , Miles bridges and knox will be gone At 18.

BackHome
06-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Have to disagree a lot of good SF in this draft as far as SG I would say this is a weak draft.

duncan2150
06-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Maybe im wrong, i see more and better sg than sf.

duncan2150
06-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Seton Hall's Desi Rodriguez works out for Dallas on Tuesday after Sunday's workout with San Antonio, which he told me went 'well.' "I enjoyed everything about the organization.'

lmbebo
06-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Seton Hall's Desi Rodriguez works out for Dallas on Tuesday after Sunday's workout with San Antonio, which he told me went 'well.' "I enjoyed everything about the organization.'

isn't he expected to go undrafted?

duncan2150
06-11-2018, 03:37 PM
isn't he expected to go undrafted?

Yes i think he’s more of a camp invite, he could be a secound round.

Drom John
06-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Sports Illustrated: 2018 NBA Mock Draft 9.0: Trade Speculation Heats Up
Jeremy Woo, June 12, 2018

49. San Antonio Spurs: Trevon Duval, PG, Duke | Fr.

spurs50_
06-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Saw a mock where we pick Melvin Frazier, dont think he'll get picked that high.

duncan2150
06-12-2018, 04:18 PM
I also think it’s too high for frazier but from pick 15 To 45 everything can happen in this draft