PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Offering Kawhi the supermax a "tough sell" for Spurs ownership

Uriel
04-25-2018, 09:47 PM
I highlighted the parts which I thought were interesting and newsworthy.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- An all-hands-on-deck summer meeting with star forward Kawhi Leonard (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard) sits high on the priority list for the San Antonio Spurs (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs), according to sources, as the team enters a pivotal offseason in the wake of Tuesday's 99-91 (http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401029456) season-ending loss to the Golden State Warriors (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors) in Game 5 of the Western Conference playoffs.

"Kawhi, everybody asks questions, but he's still here," guard Danny Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) said. "He's still locked in. He's a part of the team until things change."
With head coach Gregg Popovich expected to take the lead, the Spurs plan to meet with Leonard over the summer to gauge whether the sides can work out their differences and continue what has been largely a positive and productive partnership, sources said.

Kawhi Leonard's uncertain future will be front and center, but San Antonio will enter the summer with the potential for half its roster becoming free agents.

Leonard was sidelined for all but nine games this season because of a quadriceps issue that has led to an icy relationship with the team's front office over his diagnosis and the rehabilitation process. He continues to rehab in New York.

While the decision regarding whether to offer Leonard a $219 million supermax extension rests with management -- and even the current players, according to a source -- ownership ultimately makes the final call. Convincing the team's former chairman and CEO, Peter Holt, and his wife, Spurs chairman and co-chief executive officer Julianna Hawn Holt, could prove to be a difficult sell for general manager R.C. Buford. The couple is in the midst of a divorce.

Popovich, Buford and Leonard's Spurs teammates have long maintained the squad wants the star forward back in the fold, but they've also all said his long-term health is most important.

Popovich demonstrated proficiency last summer in mending strained relationships when he sat down with power forward LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge), who was unhappy over his role and unsure of how he would fit in the team's plans heading into the 2017-18 season. The two emerged from that sitdown with Aldridge feeling more comfortable, which in turn helped the power forward perform at an All-Star level in the absence of the injured Leonard.

The Leonard situation is just one of many San Antonio plans to navigate in the coming weeks.

"You never know what happens, right, during the summer. What moves can happen," veteran Pau Gasol (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol) said. "On our team, from my understanding, there are six or seven guys who are restricted free agents or [have] player options, and then we have the situation that we all know of [Leonard] that we don't know how that's going to resolve, to be honest. From that standpoint, we'll see. Right now is not a time to really think about it or make any decisions. It's just a time to digest what's happened this year, and we'll have plenty of time to discuss next season and what can happen."

Popovich missed his third consecutive game Monday while grieving the death of his wife, Erin, who died last week after a prolonged illness. The latest turn of events leads to questions about whether Popovich would like to continue coaching the Spurs. With 22 years at the helm, Popovich, 69, is currently the longest-tenured head coach in any of the major professional sports leagues. He's also set to take over as coach of the U.S. Olympic team before the 2020 games in Tokyo.

Then, there are pending decisions involving the winningest duo in NBA playoff history (132 wins): veterans Manu Ginobili (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili) and Tony Parker (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker).
Ginobili, a 16-year veteran, remains under contract next season for $2.5 million, but over the previous three summers, he has preferred to take a wait-and-see approach before deciding in July about whether to return to the Spurs. Ginobili said he hasn't yet made a decision about his future and will use the summer to ponder his next move.

"As I've done it the last two or three seasons, I'll sit back, relax and, after two or three months, see if I feel retired or not," Ginobili said. "I like to let it season a little bit, to see how I feel. Don't expect news until July, probably. I just don't know. I let a month, two months go by and see how I feel. I'm not the type of guy who makes decisions on the fly, and when you are upset, hurt or whatever."

Parker, meanwhile, has made his intentions clear, saying he'd like to play 20 NBA seasons. But in Year 17, Parker's potential return for 2018-19 hasn't been determined as he becomes a free agent on July 1, when his contract expires.

Buford told ESPN.com the Spurs will make a decision on Parker at the appropriate time, and it's likely he will have to accept a contract worth significantly less than the $15.4 million he earned this season.

San Antonio's longest-tenured player, Parker, 35, suffered a torn quadriceps tendon last season in the playoffs. Since January, he has taken on a reduced role coming off the bench, with 21-year-old Dejounte Murray (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3907497/dejounte-murray) becoming the team's starter at the position.

"We'll see," Parker said. "I said already I want to keep playing. I'm happy I don't have those retirement parties. I want to keep playing, and we'll see if it's in San Antonio. Everybody knows I would love to stay here. But free agency is always crazy, so we'll see."

The Spurs will also be somewhat in limbo over the summer regarding the return of Green and forward Rudy Gay (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3005/rudy-gay), as both have player-options on their current contracts. Gay ($8.8 million) and Green ($10 million) have a June 29 deadline to opt into their contracts, but neither of them has yet to make a decision.

There's a lot of decisions going on this summer. It's so sudden," Green said. "We just had a game. Everybody's still pretty caught up in that, the moment of the season being over. We're not really planning the summer just yet. I'm sure we get a couple days, a couple weeks, even a month or so and some guys still won't have a decision yet. I'm sure they'll get advice from their agents, talk to the coaching staff, talk to the organization and figure out where they will go from there. This organization is a big part of me, and I would love to play here again, would love to come back. But things get interesting in free agency."

Reserve Joffrey Lauvergne (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2959753/joffrey-lauvergne) also faces a June 29 deadline to make a decision on his $1.7 million player option.

Top assistant Ettore Messina filled in for Popovich for three games of the series against the Warriors, but he'll be interviewing soon for the Charlotte Hornets (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/cha/charlotte-hornets)' head-coaching job.

After Tuesday's game, Messina apologized and said he didn't feel comfortable talking about his future with the Spurs. He said if he ever gets an opportunity to become a head coach, however, "the very first thing I'll do, I'll ask, I'll talk to Coach Pop and R.C. , and see from that."

[B]Restricted free agents Kyle Anderson (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2993874/kyle-anderson), Davis Bertans (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6426/davis-bertans), and Bryn Forbes (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2994526/bryn-forbes), meanwhile, will likely be tagged with one-year qualifying offers by June 29 to make them all restricted free agents.

"I love them to death, like my brothers," Murray said. "Whether they're here or not, I have no control over that. I wish the best for everybody."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23310127/kawhi-leonard-meeting-tops-san-antonio-spurs-priorities-offseason

Spurtacular
04-25-2018, 09:52 PM
I'm convinced that the media is proactively trying to sabotage the Spurs.

Uriel
04-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Woj also reporting that the Spurs' relationship with Kawhi is "broken" and that the Spurs will not blindly offer him the supermax.

https://streamable.com/6y9zr

CGD
04-25-2018, 10:04 PM

I dont disagree.

MoSpur02
04-25-2018, 10:04 PM
Peter Holt has nothing to do with the decisions anymore

Mugen
04-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Weird tbh. Makes sense that Kawhi and his posse got wind of the Spurs being wary of the supermax early in the season and it snowballed into what you see today.

If Kawhi & Co. believed that the supermax was never in play then everything makes a lot more sense. Lot easier to leave a regular extension offer than a supermax offer.

spurs10
04-25-2018, 10:13 PM
I'm convinced that the media is proactively trying to sabotage the Spurs. It's pretty over the top, that's for sure.

Mugen
04-25-2018, 10:14 PM
Then again, how do you explain RC paying Patty and Pau :lol

Barfunk
04-25-2018, 10:14 PM

The media HATES the Spurs. For what reason I have no fucking clue. It really is a phenomenon I am still trying to decipher.

DPG21920
04-25-2018, 10:15 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that if Kawhi were healthy and playing SA would have no issue with the SuperMax

Keepin' it real
04-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Weird tbh. Makes sense that Kawhi and his posse got wind of the Spurs being wary of the supermax early in the season and it snowballed into what you see today.

If Kawhi & Co. believed that the supermax was never in play then everything makes a lot more sense. Lot easier to leave a regular extension offer than a supermax offer.

Unless NBA owners are stupid, they must have contractual stipulations to punish such actions (max-level players choosing not to play despite not being injured). Such action by a key player can destroy a team, as we all know.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2018, 10:20 PM
I understand the reluctance to pay Kawhi, but it's funny that this is the same FO that gave Patty 50 million at 12:01 and signed Pau for like 48:lol

Keepin' it real
04-25-2018, 10:21 PM
The media HATES the Spurs. For what reason I have no fucking clue. It really is a phenomenon I am still trying to decipher.

You must have never seen Pop interact with the media.

Keepin' it real
04-25-2018, 10:27 PM
I understand the reluctance to pay Kawhi, but it's funny that this is the same FO that gave Patty 50 million at 12:01 and signed Pau for like 48:lol

Patty has been loyal, and a team player. Pau opted out to let the Spurs try to make off season moves last year. So they rewarded him.

Meanwhile, Kawhi ...

MoSpur02
04-25-2018, 10:31 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that if Kawhi were healthy and playing SA would have no issue with the SuperMax

The key words there are "IF, HEALTHY, PLAYING." The Spurs' doctors cleared him. So some in the front office and players too think he is healthy. The players held a meeting to see if he was going to play. Obviously the answer to that was no. So that caused more friction and which is why some players didn't even want him on the sidelines during the games.

The front office feel as though Kawhi stole $19 million because he chose not to play to "rehab" in NY and was distant from the organization. All this is why the FO is probably not going to offer the extension.

Spurtacular
04-25-2018, 10:44 PM

Don't overthink it. They and their bosses get richer if Kawhi is in a big market.

99 Problems
04-25-2018, 10:46 PM
Then again, how do you explain RC paying Patty and Pau :lol

Well MVP is our second best player, 10-12 Mil usually doesn’t get you a second option. RC is a genius.

MoSpur02
04-25-2018, 11:05 PM
There might be an announcement tomorrow from the front office.

baseline bum
04-25-2018, 11:07 PM

That would be extremely strange unless it's Pop stepping down. :depressed

offset formation
04-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Don't overthink it. They and their bosses get richer if Kawhi is in a big market.

Most likely, tbh.

offset formation
04-25-2018, 11:09 PM

Nature?

MoSpur02
04-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Nature?

Not 100% sure what it's related to be really honest. Possibly something with front office or ownership. Honestly not sure though.

xtremesteven33
04-25-2018, 11:15 PM
Spurs better be on their hands and knees for Kawhi cause if he don't sign we might never see another like him on this team again.

Its a superstars league now. Lebron changed the game and Kawhi and his team know this. They call the shots. Spurs are a franchise in so much disarray they should try everything they can to appease him. Pop is in such a vulnerable state he may just give up and let Kawhi have whatever he wants.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 11:16 PM
That would be extremely strange unless it's Pop stepping down. :depressed

Or, it could be that Kawhi refused an exit interview, and they’re done. It could be anything.

I CANNOT see Pop ever leaving the organization in this kind of state.

Barfunk
04-25-2018, 11:18 PM

The media still hates the Spurs. I hear it and see it with my own two eyes all the time.

exstatic
04-25-2018, 11:19 PM
Spurs better be on their hands and knees for Kawhi cause if he don't sign we might never see another like him on this team again.

Its a superstars league now. Lebron changed the game and Kawhi and his team know this. They call the shots. Spurs are a franchise in so much disarray they should try everything they can to appease him. Pop is in such a vulnerable state he may just give up and let Kawhi have whatever he wants.

You don’t understand Pop,or this organization at all. Appeasement never works anyway. The demands just get worse, and you fight back eventually anyway.

xtremesteven33
04-25-2018, 11:21 PM
You don’t understand Pop,or this organization at all. Appeasement never works anyway. The demands just get worse, and you fight back eventually anyway.

I'm sure his requests are reasonable and he has earned the cache to do so.

baseline bum
04-25-2018, 11:23 PM
Or, it could be that Kawhi refused an exit interview, and they’re done. It could be anything.

I CANNOT see Pop ever leaving the organization in this kind of state.

I can't see Pop leaving with a year on his contract either, especially when he's committed to coaching Team USA in two years. But making an announcement on Leonard before we even know draft positions with potential trade partners wouldn't make much sense.

baseline bum
04-25-2018, 11:24 PM

You mean the Spurs better be bent over and grabbing their ankles for Leonard.

TheDoctor
04-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Erin's death could be the catalyst for another successful season 2013/2014 style.

Brunodf
04-25-2018, 11:32 PM
I'm sure his requests are reasonable and he has earned the cache to do so.
Has he though? Underperformed in the playoffs in 2015/2016.

Got hurt in 2017 and didn't play in 2018. Has a long injury history since college, known slow healer.

Only one MVP caliber season in his entire career and people act like there's no chance he'll revert back to his old ways :lol

Spurtacular
04-25-2018, 11:50 PM
The media still hates the Spurs. I hear it and see it with my own two eyes all the time.

Spurs push out higher revenue producing teams.

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 12:03 AM
They didn’t pay Paddy Fifty after he tore a shoulder and needed surgery tho... and Paddy was a warrior.

daslicer
04-26-2018, 12:04 AM

Great organizations don't bend over and let superstars strong arm them like what Lebron has done to Cleveland. Cleveland is lucky Draymond was stupid in '16 or they wouldn't have a title despite allowing Lebron the ability to call all the shots. Look at the Warriors they didn't even give Steph a no trade clause and he accepted it despite not agreeing with it. Outside of Lebron I don't see a superstar that really has control over an organization. Not even Curry and Durant have Lebron's status with the Warriors.

offset formation
04-26-2018, 12:20 AM
Erin's death could be the catalyst for another successful season 2013/2014 style.

Interested to see how you see that potentially playing out?

John B
04-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Boring to the simpleminded and low rating. No scandals, no news worthy, until finally Kawhi’s mutiny.

daslicer
04-26-2018, 12:57 AM
Boring to the simpleminded and low rating. No scandals, no news worthy, until finally Kawhi’s mutiny.

No scandals since '95 in which they dealt with Rodman.

Stabula
04-26-2018, 03:07 AM
No scandals since '95 in which they dealt with Rodman.

There is also Parker nutting inside his team mate's wife. True alpha, tbh

99 Problems
04-26-2018, 04:17 AM
Announcement probably Bud back in S.A. And 1 or both assistants getting big job offer elsewhere tbh.

Raven
04-26-2018, 04:41 AM
it is a no brainer.

tholdren
04-26-2018, 06:13 AM
Great organizations don't bend over and let superstars strong arm them like what Lebron has done to Cleveland. Cleveland is lucky Draymond was stupid in '16 or they wouldn't have a title despite allowing Lebron the ability to call all the shots. Look at the Warriors they didn't even give Steph a no trade clause and he accepted it despite not agreeing with it. Outside of Lebron I don't see a superstar that really has control over an organization. Not even Curry and Durant have Lebron's status with the Warriors.

Agree. Make spurs great again. Sign and trade this loser.

r0drig0lac
04-26-2018, 06:26 AM

the culture was gone when the great Duncan retired

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2018, 07:00 AM
Money-wise the divorce will play a role in this decision - it's pretty clear as there's money to split and if they "invest" the wrong way in the super max it won't be pretty. So this divorce "happens" at the worst possible time because it also becomes another variable to consider if you make these type of high caliber decisions.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2018, 07:03 AM
the culture was gone when the great Duncan retired

Let's give it some time. Right now the Spurs are one of the few or the last "long-term planning for success" teams left. I'd say as long as Parker and Manu remain the culture will still be there, or not. Any other team nowadays will cut those 2 guys in the blink of an eye but the Spurs have decided to keep them again and again so the culture might still be there yet

MoSpur02
04-26-2018, 07:12 AM
Money-wise the divorce will play a role in this decision - it's pretty clear as there's money to split and if they "invest" the wrong way in the super max it won't be pretty. So this divorce "happens" at the worst possible time because it also becomes another variable to consider if you make these type of high caliber decisions.

The divorce won't play a part in whether they offer the super max.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 07:13 AM
Who knows. We read articles about Spurs' losing money last seasons, and now they have to face the divorce of the majority owners.

I've said before that Kawhi could have played many games this season and still the Spurs would ask him for a paycut...Again, some small markets can't afford supermax-contracts. This next offseason, the Spurs could be one of them.

MoSpur02
04-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Who knows. We read articles about Spurs' losing money last seasons, and now they have to face the divorce of the majority owners.

I've said before that Kawhi could have played many games this season and still the Spurs would ask him for a paycut...Again, some small markets can't afford supermax-contracts. This next offseason, the Spurs could be one of them.

LOL. The divorce will not be a deciding factor with the whole super max. It all has to do with Kawhi, his health, and the relationship between the Spurs and Kawhi. That's it.

The Spurs will probably offer less than the max, which I'm sure a lot of teams do because who knows maybe the player will accept less. It's called negotiating. After this season if I were the Spurs front office I wouldn't offer an injured player who has been distant and caused friction in the locker a super max deal just like that.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 07:50 AM
LOL. The divorce will not be a deciding factor with the whole super max. It all has to do with Kawhi, his health, and the relationship between the Spurs and Kawhi. That's it.

Only you can think that the divorce of majority owners won't affect the partnership and financial future. Look at other sports franchises...Do you remember San Diego Padres' owner who needed cash for his divorce? Buyers took on more than $200M in stadium debt from him...

I'm not talking about a future sale or anything, that's stupid. I'm just saying that divorce is a factor in offering or not a super-max deal esp in a small market like this.

Plus, the fact that the man who has to carry this franchise is 70 years old and could retire in one-two years.

There are many factors, bigger than Kawhi's health.

MoSpur02
04-26-2018, 07:53 AM
Only you can think that the divorce of majority owners won't affect the partnership and financial future. Look at other sports franchises...Do you remember San Diego Padres' owner who needed cash for his divorce...?

I'm not talking about Holt would sell or anything, that's stupid. I'm just saying that divorce is a factor in offering or not a super-max deal esp in a small market like this.

Plus, the fact that the man who has to carry this franchise is 70 years old and could retire in one-two years.

There are many factors, bigger than Kawhi's health.

The Spurs and Padres owner situation is different. I know first hand that the divorce is not a factor in whether or not a super max is offered.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 08:11 AM
The Spurs and Padres owner situation is different. I know first hand that the divorce is not a factor in whether or not a super max is offered.

I heard the opposite. That's why I said during the first months of the season that the Spurs could have issues offering a super-max deal. And it was before doctors' 2nd opinion and all drama...People called me crazy " but but Patty/Pau contracts"...This offseason the Spurs' financial situation is way different.

Also, compromising the financial future of a small market franchise with a super-max deal when Pop will retire in the fist years of the duration of that contract is a big issue, too.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 08:26 AM
There is also Parker nutting inside his team mate's wife. True alpha, tbh

If you think that’s an alpha move you’re fucking retarded.

Chillen
04-26-2018, 08:33 AM
They need to have a face to face with Kawhi before offering the supermax. Find out if he wants to remain a Spur or look to trade him. Do they have to blow the team culture up? no. Just find a trade with some pieces the Spurs could use for the future to remain competitive. I like the Lakers deal if Magic would do it (Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, etc, etc). Of course by trading Kawhi to Lakers Spurs could be starting the next superteam.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 08:34 AM
The media loves planting these seeds because they want him gone... Spurs will DEFINITELY offer Kawhi the supermax, because if he is gone, they stand to lose more money than the extra they would have to pay him. There will be much lower attendance, sales, merchandise, endorsements, etc... They aren't stupid... A couple extra millions are peanuts compared to what they will gain from him being here

boutons_deux
04-26-2018, 08:35 AM
I dont disagree.

sports "journalists" gotta produce output, and they ALL are obligated to spout, to dramatize, to fabricate FMVP/DPOY K "versus" the Spurs.

99% is opinionated, gratuitous "fake news" bullshit

Chillen
04-26-2018, 08:36 AM
The media loves planting these seeds because they want him gone... Spurs will DEFINITELY offer Kawhi the supermax, because if he is gone, they stand to lose more money than the extra they would have to pay him. There will be much lower attendance, sales, merchandise, endorsements, etc... They aren't stupid... A couple extra millions are peanuts compared to what they will gain from him being here

This is probably a more media driven storm with Kawhi. Yes Spurs should offer the supermax but it's risky especially if this injury lingers. A face to face meeting would be wise if he would grant that.

MoSpur02
04-26-2018, 08:41 AM
I have a feeling that duncan2k5 and YWHI are the same or two guys who live in the basement as roommates

SuperCam
04-26-2018, 08:47 AM
I have a feeling that duncan2k5 and YWHI are the same or two guys who live in the basement as roommates

One wipes during the day and the other at night tbh

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 08:48 AM

I agree with you, but I think he’s going to have to prove he can play, and secondly, this whole thing with his family now running his career (if that’s true) is going to have to be worked out. I can’t see Pop keeping anyone he can’t depend on, even a Kawhi.

I hope this has all been injury related and the media blew it out of proportion, but I’ve just never seen anything like this in my 42 years as a Spurs fan. I’m perplexed, and really have no idea at this point how this will play out. My gut says he’ll be traded, my heart and Spurs soul says he’s a Spur for life and the two (three?) sides will work it out. Pop surprised me with the LMA handling this year, maybe he’ll do it again.

SuperCam
04-26-2018, 08:49 AM
spurfan still claiming media hates spur when they do nothing but lick PATFO butthole year after year :lol

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 09:06 AM
I agree with you, but I think he’s going to have to prove he can play, and secondly, this whole thing with his family now running his career (if that’s true) is going to have to be worked out. I can’t see Pop keeping anyone he can’t depend on, even a Kawhi.

I hope this has all been injury related and the media blew it out of proportion, but I’ve just never seen anything like this in my 42 years as a Spurs fan. I’m perplexed, and really have no idea at this point how this will play out. My gut says he’ll be traded, my heart and Spurs soul says he’s a Spur for life and the two (three?) sides will work it out. Pop surprised me with the LMA handling this year, maybe he’ll do it again.

Why does he have to prove anything? Did LA have to prove anything before signing his contract after he demanded a trade with no reasoning... Right after disappearing in the playoffs? Did Patty and Gasol have to prove anything before their big contracts? All these coming after a season where they were very bad in the playoffs... So why does Kawhi now have to prove he can play when he has proven it and more for years!? He deserves even more benefit of the doubt based on how our FO has been treating players

r0drig0lac
04-26-2018, 09:07 AM
spurfan still claiming media hates spur when they do nothing but lick PATFO butthole year after year :lol

I agree, even with some mistakes that anyone can see (mills 12:01, gasol wtf), or maybe this is just another proof that they really want to see the Spurs down

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 09:12 AM
The Spurs hate is there... But because there isn't much to publicly hate (despite Pop's poor decisions at times, his resume is still possibly the best ever), they don't say anything on air because they may look silly... U can respect someone, and want to see them fail at the same time... That's how I felt about KD in OKC... That's how I felt about LeBron on the heat, etc...

Spurs9
04-26-2018, 09:22 AM
The Spurs hate is there... But because there isn't much to publicly hate (despite Pop's poor decisions at times, his resume is still possibly the best ever), they don't say anything on air because they may look silly... U can respect someone, and want to see them fail at the same time... That's how I felt about KD in OKC... That's how I felt about LeBron on the heat, etc...

I think the Spurs are probably trying to be pretty disciplined with how they showing everything, but Pop probably showed his frustration publicly with the his group comment out of frustration. IMO they are trying to protect trade value, still floating supermax etc. Aldridges trade value was affected alot last year which led to the sitdown where he eventually ended up staying and it working out, but I see it alot differently with Kawhi since hes been so distant, Aldridge was at least around every game last year. But with his skill level even if he did want out badly and it was public I don't know how much it would effect a trade.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Why does he have to prove anything? Did LA have to prove anything before signing his contract after he demanded a trade with no reasoning... Right after disappearing in the playoffs? Did Patty and Gasol have to prove anything before their big contracts? All these coming after a season where they were very bad in the playoffs... So why does Kawhi now have to prove he can play when he has proven it and more for years!?

Did any of them go AWOL?

He deserves even more benefit of the doubt based on how our FO has been treating players

LOL what is this stupid shit?

rjv
04-26-2018, 09:44 AM

not sure who is trying harder: ST or the media.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Did any of them go AWOL?

AWOL? the dude is getting treatment in NY with spurs doctors... Wtf

Joseph Kony
04-26-2018, 09:57 AM
^delusional

lmbebo
04-26-2018, 10:02 AM

And Yahoo is reporting that the Kwahi camp is not allowing Spurs officials near him while in NY....

Maybe Kwahi camp is looking at the IT situation as an example... but there response has also poisoned the waters as well. It might cost Kwahi and his group a significant amount of money. I can't see any shoe deal really making up that difference. As much marketing as they've done, he's a pretty boring personality. No change in market will significantly change that...

Other players of his caliber show more personality and are more engaging ... Where they play doesn't matter.

If Kwahi had been more engaged, I assume there'd be less of a prove it mentality. But he's disappeared. He's lost a lot of trust and confidence from a lot of people. He's been very unprofessional this year. LMA with all his prior issues, was a professional throughout it all.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 10:10 AM
And Yahoo is reporting that the Kwahi camp is not allowing Spurs officials near him while in NY....

Maybe Kwahi camp is looking at the IT situation as an example... but there response has also poisoned the waters as well. It might cost Kwahi and his group a significant amount of money. I can't see any shoe deal really making up that difference. As much marketing as they've done, he's a pretty boring personality. No change in market will significantly change that...

Other players of his caliber show more personality and are more engaging ... Where they play doesn't matter.

If Kwahi had been more engaged, I assume there'd be less of a prove it mentality. But he's disappeared. He's lost a lot of trust and confidence from a lot of people. He's been very unprofessional this year. LMA with all his prior issues, was a professional throughout it all.

How exactly was LMA professional? He was attempting to leave without ANY explanation... AFTER bombing in the playoffs... The only reason he gave a sit down was because no one wanted him... A sit down where he then began to complain about touches...

90% of what is happening with Kawhi is all speculation... Even in the face of Kawhi and his teammates saying otherwise

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 10:24 AM
How exactly was LMA professional? He was attempting to leave without ANY explanation... AFTER bombing in the playoffs... The only reason he gave a sit down was because no one wanted him... A sit down where he then began to complain about touches...

90% of what is happening with Kawhi is all speculation... Even in the face of Kawhi and his teammates saying otherwise

Brother, I love your loyalty to Kawhi in this situation....I really hope you're right about him.

But as far as how the Spurs treat their players, I don't think there's an organization in pro sports that does a better job in that department than the Spurs have. I think that's clearly an area where you're off course a bit.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Why does he have to prove anything? Did LA have to prove anything before signing his contract after he demanded a trade with no reasoning... Right after disappearing in the playoffs? Did Patty and Gasol have to prove anything before their big contracts? All these coming after a season where they were very bad in the playoffs... So why does Kawhi now have to prove he can play when he has proven it and more for years!? He deserves even more benefit of the doubt based on how our FO has been treating players

I think when one player stands to gobble up half your cap space for the next several you need to be reassured that he can a) play at a high level, and b) has his head on straight. Remember, he's the guy saying he's hurt, supposedly not the Spurs organization. $219M is a lot of money to put into a player that couldn't play because he can't recover from his injury. So yeah, if I'm the Spurs I'm asking for those reassurances.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 10:32 AM
And if I'm SA, I'm seriously looking at LMA this summer too. He's carried us this season, there's no doubt, but he's also raised his value a lot with his play this year. The Spurs can't get to the promised land with LMA as the centerpiece, so if Kawhi can't go, or isn't resigned, I'm probably looking at what I can get for LMA also. The "beautiful game" will never return with LMA in the middle, as great as he was this season.

There will be a ton of dominoes falling if Kawhi doesn't come back.

benefactor
04-26-2018, 10:34 AM
You are either naive, painfully stupid or both.

r0drig0lac
04-26-2018, 10:35 AM
And if I'm SA, I'm seriously looking at LMA this summer too. He's carried us this season, there's no doubt, but he's also raised his value a lot with his play this year. The Spurs can't get to the promised land with LMA as the centerpiece, so if Kawhi can't go, or isn't resigned, I'm probably looking at what I can get for LMA also. The "beautiful game" will never return with LMA in the middle, as great as he was this season.

I hope you're right about it, this roster needs aggressive changes.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 10:43 AM

I agree on selling high on Aldridge. LMA + Jayson Tatum isn't making the Spurs competitive with Golden State, so might as well go the full rebuild. Sucks the NBA changed the tanking rules so you only get a 14% chance at the #1 pick if you're the worst record instead of the 25% chance it is this year.

exstatic
04-26-2018, 10:53 AM
They need to have a face to face with Kawhi before offering the supermax. Find out if he wants to remain a Spur or look to trade him. Do they have to blow the team culture up? no. Just find a trade with some pieces the Spurs could use for the future to remain competitive. I like the Lakers deal if Magic would do it (Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, etc, etc). Of course by trading Kawhi to Lakers Spurs could be starting the next superteam.

After everything that's gone down this year, there is NO WAY IN HELL that Pop jumps on the Ball family shit show wagon. That's just not happening. Now, what might happen is that Ball is flipped to a third team, who give us an asset that we DO want. Kuzma is what he is. I see him as being at his ceiling. He put up 16p/6r/2a on a bad team. He's a rotation player, and a 6'9" guy who shoots 45% overall. LMA takes a lot of jumpers, difficult ones, and still shoots 51%, and people call him soft, and a guy who settles for the jumper too much. What does that make Kuzma? I think he's a typical overhyped Laker youngster, and the fans are just glad to see players on the floor who don't belong in the d-league. Ingram is nice, but I'm not sure you settle for just one prospect in a trade. The Laker picks aren't great, either.

The buzz is that Boston is just standing by waiting for a decision. I'm way more stoked about their youngsters and picks. Jaylen is flat balling in the playoffs, and Tatum seems to be an excellent 3 point shooter. If they get Kawhi, they'll have 4 SFs on their roster. They'll actually need to move probably two of them, so... Their picks are also top 10 or higher, in all likelihood. One or two of the youngsters, and one or two of the picks, and maybe you pry Rozier away, if they won't flip both SFs.

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2018, 11:06 AM
:lmao

Keepin' it real
04-26-2018, 11:13 AM
I hope you're right about it, this roster needs aggressive changes.

Be careful what you wish for. The people making these aggressive changes are the same ones responsible for Patty's and Gasol's contracts.

wildbill2u
04-26-2018, 12:20 PM
"Plus, the fact that the man who has to carry this franchise is 70 years old and could retire in one-two years."

Oh come on, YWGI, Manu is only 40 years old.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Brother, I love your loyalty to Kawhi in this situation....I really hope you're right about him.

But as far as how the Spurs treat their players, I don't think there's an organization in pro sports that does a better job in that department than the Spurs have. I think that's clearly an area where you're off course a bit.

Where in my post did I mention anything about the Spurs treating players badly? My point is they gave worse players the benefit of the doubt... Kawhi deserves it too... What Aldridge pulled last year was the absolute worst

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:50 PM
I think when one player stands to gobble up half your cap space for the next several you need to be reassured that he can a) play at a high level, and b) has his head on straight. Remember, he's the guy saying he's hurt, supposedly not the Spurs organization. $219M is a lot of money to put into a player that couldn't play because he can't recover from his injury. So yeah, if I'm the Spurs I'm asking for those reassurances.

Fair enough

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:51 PM

Comepletely agree... He needs to be traded... The game is changing more each year...

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:53 PM
I agree on selling high on Aldridge. LMA + Jayson Tatum isn't making the Spurs competitive with Golden State, so might as well go the full rebuild. Sucks the NBA changed the tanking rules so you only get a 14% chance at the #1 pick if you're the worst record instead of the 25% chance it is this year.

Matter of fact... I'd trade Aldridge for either Tatum or Jaylen Brown + fillers

DPG21920
04-26-2018, 01:10 PM

They have afforded max contracts at every level. SuperMax is new, but there were plenty of articles that disputed SA losing money and in fact had them doing quite well.

As revenues have jumped, with SAs willingness to pay max contracts before, I can’t see a reason why we would doubt them now.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Ainge would die laughing before he hung up the phone.

offset formation
04-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Did any of them go AWOL?

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Do we really have to deal with Porky for 4 more years :lol Christ he looked gassed 90% of this season.

TimDunkem
04-26-2018, 02:05 PM
Do we really have to deal with Porky for 4 more years :lol Christ he looked gassed 90% of this season.

It's inevitable. You think Porky is going to retire knowing Pop will pay him and play him as long as he's on the roster? :lol

r0drig0lac
04-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Ainge would die laughing before he hung up the phone.

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 02:31 PM
^delusional
:lol

Maddog
04-26-2018, 02:34 PM

In an even longer time as a Spurs fan I've not seen anything like this. Not sure if I can think of even an analogous situation non Spurs either.
Even if healthy, you really have to think long and hard about a super max.

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 02:41 PM

I think that too. I could be wrong of course.

I know Chinook argued in favor of a retooling and I tend to think they go that way too bc the franchise will be in a dire situation tanking and rebuilding in Pops last couple of years. There's a chance Pop retires too in that case. A rebuild takes time and in the meantime a HC will endure a long process of playing players that will leave, a lot of them will not be NBA talent, and will endure frustration. Pop did it in Pomona/Pfizer when he was a young coach, but will be have the stamina at his age at this stage? I don't know. I tend to think they will try to avoid tanking at any cost.

But, it's a real possibility and understandable if Kiwi doesn't come back that they clean house. I think they will delay that tho for as long as they can.

cjw
04-26-2018, 02:44 PM
They have afforded max contracts at every level. SuperMax is new, but there were plenty of articles that disputed SA losing money and in fact had them doing quite well.

As revenues have jumped, with SAs willingness to pay max contracts before, I can’t see a reason why we would doubt them now.

They stand to lose a lot more money if the team sucks and season ticketholders / sponsors bail. That is until they sell to the Seattle ownership group.

The divorce = can’t afford it thing feels like pure speculation.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 06:01 PM

Why do you think that I doubt the Spurs just because they could refuse to sign super-max deals in next years?

I understand that they could have many valid reasons, financial small market issues, losing Pop in one-two years generates uncertainty as much as Holt divorce...

$219M mean almost three decent players' salaries. If they trade Kawhi, they can get two-three good, young players...

We don't know what Spurs' performances, FO and owners will expect after Pop's retirement. Will they be willing to spend money to build a contender in today super-teams league? Or a decent playoffs team could meet their expectations?

I don't doubt the Spurs. I'm just saying that they couldn't afford super-max deals, which isn't a tragedy. In fact, we read media articles saying super-max contracts are aberrations that force small markets to put at risk their financial future.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2018, 06:36 PM
The divorce won't play a part in whether they offer the super max.

How do you know? Such divorces demand cash to settle and if parties don't agree it's hard to see them commit that money to an unknown prospect. It's likely to think if parts divide the money that they will want to take the most.

If Kawhi was a secure prospect there wouldn't be any question as to offering the max, divorce or not. Now he's an unknown.

You are entitled to your own opinion, of course. I disagree, however.

Kawhitstorm
04-26-2018, 08:34 PM

They probably couldn't get a guarantee & his uncle doesn't seem like he's interested in leaving any penny on the table.

MoSpur02
04-26-2018, 10:10 PM
How do you know? Such divorces demand cash to settle and if parties don't agree it's hard to see them commit that money to an unknown prospect. It's likely to think if parts divide the money that they will want to take the most.

If Kawhi was a secure prospect there wouldn't be any question as to offering the max, divorce or not. Now he's an unknown.

It's not an opinion. It's a fact. Peter Holt doesn't have a say in all this. Yes they divorced and yes there is money/property to split, but Peter Holt has nothing to do with the Spurs anymore.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 10:22 PM
It's not an opinion. It's a fact. Peter Holt doesn't have a say in all this. Yes they divorced and yes there is money/property to split, but Peter Holt has nothing to do with the Spurs anymore.
Did he sell his shares? He's not a Spurs' majority owner? We know he's not Spurs chairman anymore but he was still a majority owner this season.

Slippy
04-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Did he sell his shares? He's not a Spurs' majority owner? We know he's not Spurs chairman anymore but he was still a majority owner this season.

Pretty sure his wife controls the spurs so i assume she will ultimately sign off on anything

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 11:05 PM
Pretty sure his wife controls the spurs so i assume she will ultimately sign off on anything
Agree. But Peter Holt is still a majority owner getting a divorce while his wife has to face the same situation.

No one says this is the biggest issue in the super-max negotation but could be a factor.

DaBears
04-26-2018, 11:09 PM
I dont disagree.

i did hear a rumor that the SPURS could potentially go up for Sale. Just throwing that out there. This could all be tied together in some elaborate plan... Or not be anything...

MaNu4Tres
04-27-2018, 12:08 AM

I know why. Hope things get better.

Ice009
04-27-2018, 04:13 AM
How come Peter Holt doesn't have a say? Why does he not have anything to do with the Spurs? Was it his choice?

I know why. Hope things get better.

Between the Holts?

MaNu4Tres
04-27-2018, 05:51 AM
How come Peter Holt doesn't have a say? Why does he not have anything to do with the Spurs? Was it his choice?

Between the Holts?

With himself.

acoelho1
04-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Why do you think that I doubt the Spurs just because they could refuse to sign super-max deals in next years?

Like any corporation, those decisions were for forecasted way in advance. The organization would have analyzed the financial impact of the supermax given that Leonard would be a strong candidate for it when the rule was originally discussed by the owners. So, if this drama had not occurred this year, I doubt anyone would be questioning giving him the supermax. Therefore, the only plausible scenario in my opinion for not offering it is the Spurs questioning Leonard’s commitment to the team or his long term health. Other than those issues, it’s a no brainer. He’s a franchise player and getting one back in any trade is very low.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-27-2018, 06:58 AM

Wow

weeks
04-27-2018, 07:01 AM
With himself.

illness or..?

YGWHI
04-27-2018, 07:27 AM
Like any corporation, those decisions were for forecasted way in advance. The organization would have analyzed the financial impact of the supermax given that Leonard would be a strong candidate for it when the rule was originally discussed by the owners.
Agree. But we can't say what was owners' opinion about it.

benefactor
04-27-2018, 07:50 AM
:lol...Jesus...you really are like gnsf circa 2010, aren't you?

Ice009
04-27-2018, 08:17 AM
With himself.

Has he gotten back on the alcohol?

acoelho1
04-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Agree. But we can't say what was owners' opinion about it.

I don’t know Peter holts position on it but what I do know is NBA contract decisions are not made in a vacuum and extensive financial analysis would have been done on the impact of the supermax. This analysis would also include an evaluation of contracts on the books and future projected contracts. Therefore, the decision on whether it was financially feasible to pay the supermax would have been decided prior to this year. So there is very strong case that financially speaking the supermax is a nonissue. However, the ancillary issues at play will need to be addressed by both parties before such a commitment is given.

exstatic
04-27-2018, 08:45 AM
Has he gotten back on the alcohol?

That'd be my guess. He's always had problems with it, and several very public falls from the wagon. He could have crossed a line, both to lose his position as chairman, and his marriage. Addiction is a terrible thing.

exstatic
04-27-2018, 08:47 AM

Peter Holt has never been the majority owner of the Spurs.

exstatic
04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

No they don't. Both Holts have seen the ridiculous sale prices of recently sold teams. Julianna isn't your typical (former) owner's wife. She understands the business, and that the team will only become MORE valuable. You can transfer shares instead of cash. Neither one of them is dumb enough to sell even one share in this cash cow of an NBA franchise.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-27-2018, 06:13 PM
No they don't. Both Holts have seen the ridiculous sale prices of recently sold teams. Julianna isn't your typical (former) owner's wife. She understands the business, and that the team will only become MORE valuable. You can transfer shares instead of cash. Neither one of them is dumb enough to sell even one share in this cash cow of an NBA franchise.

lol

ElNono
04-27-2018, 06:31 PM
They're gonna try to lowball him, IMO... pretty typical Spurs move, tbqh

pad300
04-27-2018, 06:38 PM
They're gonna try to lowball him, IMO... pretty typical Spurs move, tbqh

People keep on saying lowball. If it was a year ago, sure not offering him the supermax would be lowballing him. But now? He's a guy on a medical mystery injury with NO projected return date. How can you put 35% of your cap for 5 years into that?

ElNono
04-27-2018, 08:09 PM
People keep on saying lowball. If it was a year ago, sure not offering him the supermax would be lowballing him. But now? He's a guy on a medical mystery injury with NO projected return date. How can you put 35% of your cap for 5 years into that?

Superior talent like him is just not generally available, tbh... especially for a small market team. Half the league will probably take that gamble...

What’s more, not offering it could look as retaliatory...

Brunodf
04-27-2018, 08:32 PM
If this was the NFL people wouldn't even consider giving a player coming off injury that kind of contract.

Just let Kawhi play and qualify again for the supermax next season or trade him for picks

duncan2k5
04-28-2018, 01:58 AM
If this was the NFL people wouldn't even consider giving a player coming off injury that kind of contract.

Just let Kawhi play and qualify again for the supermax next season or trade him for picks

Huh?? Too much of a risk... Kawhi could just leave for nothing if we field a trash team around him... U HAVE to resign him now... Unless u want a media circus next year... If u think this year was bad, the Spurs dissing him by not offering supermax, and Kawhi leaving because of it will be the talk of every broadcast

tbdog
04-28-2018, 02:24 AM
It's hard to offer a super max for what he did/didnt do. It's not just the injury, it was the complete absents from the team. If he played his 9 games, did rehab in SA, and cheered from the bench in home games, head office offers the super max. Leonard group decisions should cost them money. They deserve that.

cjw
04-28-2018, 04:58 AM
Well now that PG is leaving OKC that means even less teams who will have cap space a summer from now

Chillen
04-28-2018, 05:15 AM
Old interview from 2014 but interesting question asked at 3:46 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl7NJZLJZo

MoSpur02
04-28-2018, 05:43 AM
Old interview from 2014 but interesting question asked at 3:46 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl7NJZLJZo

"Uh... whatever makes him happy." Pretty much what you would expect from Kawhi.

MoSpur02
04-28-2018, 05:52 AM

You're speculating. You know for sure he is/was the majority owner?

MoSpur02
04-28-2018, 05:56 AM
Agree. But Peter Holt is still a majority owner getting a divorce while his wife has to face the same situation.

No one says this is the biggest issue in the super-max negotation but could be a factor.

You are assuming Peter Holt is still part of the ownership.

Ice009
04-28-2018, 06:14 AM
You are assuming Peter Holt is still part of the ownership.

Why is he not still part of the ownership? What happened exactly?

Chillen
04-28-2018, 07:06 AM
"Uh... whatever makes him happy." Pretty much what you would expect from Kawhi.

Yeah but he didn't say no, so if LeBron wants to be a Spur this July Kawhi would be cool with it I guess.

MoSpur02
04-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Yeah but he didn't say no, so if LeBron wants to be a Spur this July Kawhi would be cool with it I guess.

True.

exstatic
04-28-2018, 07:52 AM

He’s NEVER been a majority owner. A majority owner of any entity must own more than 50%.

Dverde
04-28-2018, 08:16 AM
He’s either getting the super max or being traded.

Ice009
04-28-2018, 08:26 AM
I know Peter Holt never was a majority owner, but I always thought he was part of the ownership group? Is that correct? If he was part of the ownership group, what happened? Why is he not part of the ownership group now?

He’s either getting the super max or being traded.

You think Kawhi will be insulted if the Spurs ask him to re-qualify and prove to them that he's healthy before dropping that amount of money?

If they're not going to offer it to him due to not being sure about his health, fair enough, but if they're not going to offer it at all even if he is healthy, or if he had of been healthy and playing all season, then I don't know how I feel about that.

If I was them and they really don't want to take the risk, maybe they should say we can either offer you the max right now, or you can show us you're healthy and we'll give you the Supermax next off-season. That would probably still piss him off, though.

What would be the easiest criteria for him to meet to be able to re-qualify?

Dverde
04-28-2018, 12:33 PM
You don’t want him being a free agent next year. He needs to sign a deal this offseason or trade him. Healthy he is a top five player. He is entering his prime. Super max is a no brainer if you want him long term.

Dingle Barry
04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
You don’t want him being a free agent next year. He needs to sign a deal this offseason or trade him. Healthy he is a top five player. He is entering his prime. Super max is a no brainer if you want him long term.

He's not healthy