PDA

View Full Version : Report: Kawhi wants Pop to lighten up, and tweak some things

offset formation
04-26-2018, 11:37 AM
And to add a new wrinkle in this saga, comes from a New York Daily News article penned by Frank Isola where an NBA executive hears Kawhi wants Head Coach Gregg Popovich's approach to team practices altered and "tweak some things."

"Don't you have to sign him," asks one rival executive. "From what I understand, he wants (Gregg) Popovich to lighten up a little with practice and tweak some things. The Spurs may not want to change their ways, but this is Kawhi Leonard we're talking about."

:wow:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:wow:claw

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-claims-kawhi-leonard-wants-popovich-to-tweak-some-things

jermaine
04-26-2018, 11:44 AM
This nigga don't wanna be pushed to be great!?!

noles1983
04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
So now this beta injury prone austistic thinks practice is too hard? Time for KL to get the fuck off my team. Take Mills/Gasol/Anderson/TP with you

exstatic
04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Inmates and asylums. You sit out a whole fucking year because you can't man up and go talk to Pop? You have to have your 'group' do it for you? This is either complete bullshit or a force a trade tactic.

Robz4000
04-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Inmates and asylums. You sit out a whole fucking year because you can't man up and go talk to Pop? You have to have your 'group' do it for you? This is either complete bullshit or a force a trade tactic.

The fact it's from New York Daily News should answer your question.

offset formation
04-26-2018, 11:50 AM

I'm guessing it's both. And should it be any coinkydink that it's coming out of NY, where he's supposedly rehabbing?

Kawhi's group (and probably the League) wants him in NY or LA.

hoopdreams11
04-26-2018, 11:53 AM
This sounds bogus the NY media is terrible everyone knows the spurs don’t practice that hard physically

NASpurs
04-26-2018, 11:54 AM
OP might as well posted an article from the National Enquirer that said Kawhi was spotted walking through the forests of the Pacific Northwest.

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2018, 11:56 AM
:lmao Frank Isola

This butt chin having faggot has hated on Kawhi all season, and now him and some executive fluffer are supposed to know what he wants....

The biggest gym rat in the league, who works out 3 times a day during the offseason, and only player on the team who doesn't show up overweight in training camp WANTS Pop to lighten up in practice LMFAOOOOOO

offset formation
04-26-2018, 11:57 AM
OP might as well posted an article from the National Enquirer that said Kawhi was spotted walking through the forests of the Pacific Northwest.

You and I both know it's bullshit, like a yeti. But it has significance because it's either part of Kawhi and his group playing disinformation games or it's a team playing disinformation games. Or both.

NASpurs
04-26-2018, 12:00 PM
You and I both know it's bullshit, like a yeti. But it has significance because it's either part of Kawhi and his group playing disinformation games or it's a team playing disinformation games. Or both.

You just said it’s bullshit. Where’s the “it’s all fabricated from an attention whore journalist so let’s move on” option in your post?

Quiet Strength
04-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Funny how all these rumors are the opposite of kawhi. Its alot easier to believe his last interview than to believe he's some Mariah Carey nowadays.

spursfan09
04-26-2018, 12:07 PM
I seriously doubt he said that

KDKSpurs24
04-26-2018, 12:07 PM
This doesn’t even sound that believable.

I usually support Kawhi and wanted him to be great but at this point I just either want everything to work out or get some good players in return for him. The main reason we didn’t fall off a cliff into mediocrity like most teams usually do is because of him. Losing him would set us back. So I’m atleast hoping for some players that still have a lot of room to grow and lead us to be contenders again.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 12:26 PM
Funny how all these rumors are the opposite of kawhi. Its alot easier to believe his last interview than to believe he's some Mariah Carey nowadays.

It's not hard to believe his uncle is some Mariah Carey.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 12:27 PM
I seriously doubt he said that

I don't doubt his group would say stupid shit like that.

offset formation
04-26-2018, 12:37 PM
You just said it’s bullshit. Where’s the “it’s all fabricated from an attention whore journalist so let’s move on” option in your post?

Well that's where we'll have to agree to disagree. I think there's something substantive about it showing intent of at least one party.

Quiet Strength
04-26-2018, 12:39 PM
It's not hard to believe his uncle is some Mariah Carey.

It's actually not.

spurraider21
04-26-2018, 12:44 PM
so kawhi wants pop to get over himself

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Well that's where we'll have to agree to disagree. I think there's something substantive about it showing intent of at least one party.

Yep... And that party is the media

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:46 PM
It's actually not.

We have never even heard his uncle talk... His uncle may be the most chill and humble guy... But ppl just assuming he is some evil puppet master... Based on......... Crickets*

cjw
04-26-2018, 12:48 PM
I wonder if they’re being approached by people “in his circle” that they just take at face value and don’t even vet. Wouldn’t be surprised at all.

SpursDynasty85
04-26-2018, 12:51 PM
Again. More assumptions. What Kawhi exactly meant no one really knows. This board criticizes Pop more than any place in the world and Kawhi could just be singing the same tune. Popovich has clearly seemed too rigid at times and it shows in his coaching and especially his rotations.

Seventyniner
04-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Kawhi's work ethic should be the last thing in question. He might not like some of the things Pop does, but pushing the team too hard can't possibly be one of them.

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Fam... Kawhi ain't talking to the NY media... All these "reporters" are making wild assumptions because they have deadlines and need to get something out there

Quiet Strength
04-26-2018, 12:58 PM
We have never even heard his uncle talk... His uncle may be the most chill and humble guy... But ppl just assuming he is some evil puppet master... Based on......... Crickets*

I just want Leonard to stay a spur. Rumors are rumors

SpursDynasty85
04-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Kawhi's work ethic should be the last thing in question. He might not like some of the things Pop does, but pushing the team too hard can't possibly be one of them.

I agree. He doesn't want to stop working. Everyone on this board has probably scratched their head and or criticized Pop about his pattern of sticking with his small ball rotations and running set plays all the time. Why can't what the executive said mean Kawhi wants him to run things a bit differently. Pop has a lot of "yes" men in his team. He earned it, but everyone needs perspective at times to keep getting better, even Pop. Kawhi's lack of socialization or skills in communication need to improve as well. Maybe Kawhi just needs to speak up more.

cd98
04-26-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking tweak some things means not re-signing Tony Parker.

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2018, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking tweak some things means not re-signing Manure Ginose

RD2191
04-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Lol at any dumbass that believes this shit.

djohn2oo8
04-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Kawhi could get out there and squash all of these rumors. He isn't.

ThomasamohT
04-26-2018, 01:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Kawhi pulling an AI.

Keepin' it real
04-26-2018, 01:52 PM
I just want Leonard to stay a spur. Rumors are rumors

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/85/2a/c6/852ac6b84b0464e3b2e9f6214f114441--inglourious-basterds-christoph-waltz.jpg

r0drig0lac
04-26-2018, 02:16 PM
frank isola...ok

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Heard rumors that the autistic mute wants Drunkford to hire a personal ass-wiper for him tbqh

buttsR4rebounding
04-26-2018, 02:39 PM
And to add a new wrinkle in this saga, comes from a New York Daily News article penned by Frank Isola where an NBA executive hears Kawhi wants Head Coach Gregg Popovich's approach to team practices altered and "tweak some things."

"Don't you have to sign him," asks one rival executive. "From what I understand, he wants (Gregg) Popovich to lighten up a little with practice and tweak some things. The Spurs may not want to change their ways, but this is Kawhi Leonard we're talking about."

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-claims-kawhi-leonard-wants-popovich-to-tweak-some-things

The article doesn't say Kawhi said this. A rival executive did. Of course, there couldn't be any ulterior motive there. So the media reports that Kawhi won't talk to the Spurs, but does communicate with other teams. Very believable.

SAGirl
04-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Fake news

ducks
04-26-2018, 03:02 PM
Maybe he wants him to shut his pie whole up on trump

duncan2k5
04-26-2018, 03:09 PM
The article doesn't say Kawhi said this. A rival executive did. Of course, there couldn't be any ulterior motive there. So the media reports that Kawhi won't talk to the Spurs, but does communicate with other teams. Very believable.

Exactly! This is all fake

E20
04-26-2018, 03:13 PM
this is the dumbest thing i've read no way a professional athlete would say this even kawhi

DMC
04-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Kawhi is the last one that would ask for people to lighten up. He's got a reputation for being the 1st in and last out at the gym, real gym rat. Sounds like some "probably thinks" comment that someone took from another player and turned into "Kawhi said". Then ST posters take it hook, line and sinker.

It's humorous how many of you are so quick to shit on your own team if you don't get what you want every day.

Yeah. Now someone like Philo go find an example of me shitting on the Spurs.

BillMc
04-26-2018, 03:30 PM

This.

Dverde
04-26-2018, 03:31 PM
I would love for once someone having to identify their source to show the utter BS of the journalistic standard of the stories out there.

rastaspur
04-26-2018, 03:38 PM

He's autistic. Not a nutjob like kanye west. So i doubt it.

Alot of republicans cast kanye as the devil many years ago with the taylor swift debacle. A 180 has been pulled by many since he said pleasant things about tronald dump. How convenient and forgiving of conservative white america

daslicer
04-26-2018, 03:42 PM

I will never get the retards in here who are still butt hurt over Pop being anti-Trump. I doubt Kawhi gives a shit about politics. Dude is autistic like most people in here has said. I'm sure he votes for whoever his uncle tells him to vote for.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 03:55 PM

Maybe it's a rival executive Kawhi's group was leaking to.

TheDoctor
04-26-2018, 04:19 PM

This butt chin having faggot has hated on Kawhi all season, and now him and some executive fluffer are supposed to know what he wants....

The biggest gym rat in the league, who works out 3 times a day during the offseason, and only player on the team who doesn't show up overweight in training camp WANTS Pop to lighten up in practice LMFAOOOOOO

Budkin
04-26-2018, 04:26 PM

This. Isola is a fucking muckraker.

Budkin
04-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Kawhi could get out there and squash all of these rumors. He isn't.

But he never says anything. Ever.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2018, 04:29 PM

This.

Now I’m beginning to think everything IS just made up by the talking heads! This the dumbest article yet.

acoelho1
04-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Seems like everyday there is a new article with more speculation. I’m still waiting to hear from the man himself. Let’s hope the 2 sides workout their differences and we move on from this madness.

John B
04-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Knicks fan trying to stir the pot :lol

ElNono
04-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Multiple Sauces

tmtcsc
04-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Man, this stuff sounds ridiculous. What the hell does "lighten up" even mean? I'm all for tweaking the system if it means the offense isn't so reliant on one player. I never liked how it worked or looked last year. There was too much Kawhi and not enough anyone else. The ball movement was terrible.

I don't doubt that Isola heard it from someone I just don't think its true.

weeks
04-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Man, this stuff sounds ridiculous. What the hell does "lighten up" even mean? I'm all for tweaking the system if it means the offense isn't so reliant on one player. I never liked how it worked or looked last year. There was too much Kawhi and not enough anyone else. The ball movement was terrible.

I don't doubt that Isola heard it from someone I just don't think its true.

it reads like satire tbh.

thanks for posting OP. good reminder of how easy it is to publish a fucking article online talking about kawhi

weeks
04-26-2018, 06:03 PM
so is this sabotage from another team to lower his trade value?

spurs10
04-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Their meeting can't happen soon enough! :lol

Play Boban
04-26-2018, 06:17 PM

Tell Kawhitter to F off!

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 06:22 PM
So now this beta injury prone austistic thinks practice is too hard? Time for KL to get the fuck off my team. Take Mills/Gasol/Anderson/TP with you

This nigga don't wanna be pushed to be great!?!

For those willing to believe stupid/fake news...

“I was scheduled to work out,” Leonard says, “so I did.”

Leonard did “celebrate” with his agent and close friends at a local steakhouse that night, but he politely cut the night short. He had a two-hour session in the weight room at 8 a.m. the next morning, followed by 2˝ hours on the court at 11:30, followed by another hour or so of ballhandling and shooting in the late afternoon or evening.

“He’ll be knocking on my bedroom door at 7,” Cunningham says. “He’s like, ‘Get up. Let’s go.’ People think we’re going out, having fun, going to parties, going to clubs. It’s not like that. We’re working hard. We go to bed early.”
So in August he held his free skills camp again at the Moreno Valley Rec Center where he played as a youth. He continued to work out three times a day, even as the Spurs ask him to scale back. He didn’t go to clubs, didn’t stay out late, didn’t let the temptation of extravagance soil the foundation of diligence

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-kawhi-leonard-spurs-contract-sdsu-2015oct27-story.html

so is this sabotage from another team to lower his trade value?
Since early March, some media guys -esp ESPN- are doing it...It sounds like there are many PR's of big market teams, LA/Boston/NY behind the Spurs-Kawhi "news"

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm all for tweaking the system if it means the offense isn't so reliant on one player. I never liked how it worked or looked last year. There was too much Kawhi and not enough anyone else. The ball movement was terrible.

Well, it's not like the ball-movement was fantastic without Kawhi in this regular season either. Multiple post-ups all game stagnate the offense as much as over reliance on one player.

dbreiden83080
04-26-2018, 06:29 PM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/e/e2/Bye.gif/revision/latest?cb=20141206214809

BackHome
04-26-2018, 06:52 PM
He's autistic. Not a nutjob like kanye west. So i doubt it.

Alot of republicans cast kanye as the devil many years ago with the taylor swift debacle. A 180 has been pulled by many since he said pleasant things about tronald dump. How convenient and forgiving of conservative white america

The U.S is the land of second chances.

coachmac87
04-26-2018, 06:57 PM
For the great ball movement everybody wants....you must have an elite guard or multiple guards to penetrate with a threat to score or even pass...Period.

But an NBA point guard for this roster would be a great start

lefty
04-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Frank Isola?

Lol

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 07:14 PM
For the great ball movement everybody wants....you must have an elite guard or multiple guards to penetrate with a threat to score or even pass...Period.

But an NBA point guard for this roster would be a great start

Exactly. We saw some good Kawhi's drive & kick's in 2017 playoffs. I thought it would be his next evolution step in this regular season..Now, we will never know how it would have worked.

Finding an elite guard who can shoot but also penetrate & pass/score for Kawhi in a hypothetical trade, is a priority.

Ice009
04-26-2018, 07:16 PM
I still think Kawhi was supposed to start out the season playing a little bit of PG with Tony being out. I think that is one reason the Spurs didn't bother getting a proper PG replacement. I don't think Dejounte was supposed to be the PG to start the season, I think it was supposed to be Kawhi to start out with.

james evans
04-26-2018, 07:25 PM
i swear some of the dumbest people post on this forum. They'll believe anything. Oh wait, we have people here that actually believe politicians too. nevermind..

offset formation
04-26-2018, 07:44 PM
i swear some of the dumbest people post on this forum. They'll believe anything. Oh wait, we have people here that actually believe politicians too. nevermind..

OP here. You know I have stated at least 3 times I find it to be BS. But I think there's an agenda to the BS. It's why I posted the topic.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Isola may be a hack, but so is Kawhi's group. You guys don't think they'd leak bullshit to the press?

weeks
04-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Isola may be a hack, but so is Kawhi's group. You guys don't think they'd leak bullshit to the press?
it does sound like something a teenage girl would write

Leetonidas
04-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Spurs don't even practice that often during the RS. It's not like we're the Jazz. Hack writing tbh

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Leak bullshit to the press that question his rep as gym-rat??

Why do you think his group would want to give him a lazy imagen??

Sorry, you sound a bit crazy.

ducks
04-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Leak bullshit to the press that question his rep as gym-rat?? Why do you think they would want to give him a lazy imagen?? Sorry, you sound a bit crazy.

I will never get the retards in here who are still butt hurt over Pop being anti-Trump. I doubt Kawhi gives a shit about politics. Dude is autistic like most people in here has said. I'm sure he votes for whoever his uncle tells him to vote for.he can talk politics on cnn not call a press conference on spurs time and talk politics

weeks
04-26-2018, 08:02 PM
he can talk politics on cnn not call a press conference on spurs time and talk politics
for fuck's sake that's what you assholes keep doing

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 08:02 PM

Why would his group shut him down and keep him away from his team right before he's eligible for a $219 million supermax contract? Can't they just be stupid?

vy65
04-26-2018, 08:08 PM

Out of everything we know about Kawhi, the idea he wants to practice less isn’t credible. At all. Some of the other rumors might have some legs, but not this one.

daslicer
04-26-2018, 08:18 PM
he can talk politics on cnn not call a press conference on spurs time and talk politics

Well then STFU about linking Trump to situations that have nothing do with him like claiming Kawhi is aTrump supporter.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Why would his group shut him down and keep him away from his team right before he's eligible for a $219 million supermax contract? Can't they just be stupid?

If you are willing to believe that stupid rumor when Kawhi already said he called Pop every day, he traveled with Spurs personnel every time, and Danny Green said Kawhi's in contact with him and young guys on the team...

Kawhi was injured. Granted, both sides could handle it better. That doesn't mean these stupid rumors are true.

ducks
04-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Why
Leonard crazy doing what he is doing

Well then STFU about linking Trump to situations that have nothing do with him like claiming Kawhi is aTrump supporter.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 08:47 PM
Why
Leonard crazy doing what he is doing
Stop trying, you have to accept he's not a Trump's supporter. You become absolutely obsessed with politics. Just take it easy, ducks.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Out of everything we know about Kawhi, the idea he wants to practice less isn’t credible. At all. Some of the other rumors might have some legs, but not this one.

His group could just be the basketball version of Trump's cabinet tbh.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 09:43 PM
If you are willing to believe that stupid rumor when Kawhi already said he called Pop every day, he traveled with Spurs personnel every time, and Danny Green said Kawhi's in contact with him and young guys on the team...

Kawhi was injured. Granted, both sides could handle it better. That doesn't mean these stupid rumors are true.

Yeah Pop sounded so in the loop the last few months.

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Yeah Pop sounded so in the loop the last few months.
Pop had many reasons for feeling frustrated in last few months. His private-family situation, media questioning the Spurs like they never did, Kawhi's injury, the team barely making playoffs...Dealing with all these things at his age.... At some point, he would exteriorize his frustration.

Leetonidas
04-26-2018, 10:08 PM

Actually he can and he did :lol

Mr. Body
04-26-2018, 10:14 PM
The fact it's from New York Daily News should answer your question.

There's nothing wrong with the Daily News. You're thinking of the Post.

baseline bum
04-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Pop had many reasons for feeling frustrated in last few months. His private-family situation, media questioning the Spurs like they never did, Kawhi's injury, the team barely making playoffs...Dealing with all these things at his age.... At some point, he would exteriorize his frustration.

What a load of crap

YGWHI
04-26-2018, 10:18 PM
What a load of crap
Like this New York Daily News article...

Spurtacular
04-26-2018, 10:27 PM

Tbf, Kawhi is basically special ed. You're expecting him to do stuff that is not in his skill set.

phxspurfan
04-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Sure...Pop tweaks his trade offer after Kawhi tweaks his quad again in game 1 next season

04-26-2018, 10:45 PM
So now this beta injury prone austistic thinks practice is too hard?

jbspurs
04-26-2018, 11:02 PM

More fake news coming up in the few weeks.

spurs10
04-26-2018, 11:09 PM
Actually he can and he did :lol Yes and in quite an articulate manner! :lol

bic50
04-26-2018, 11:20 PM
Damn you people get mad

Ocotillo
04-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Maybe he wasn'tsaying he wants easier practice, maybe he wants more intensity.

:bobo

FireMicoHalili
04-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Am sure this guy was paid to write. Probably a rival exec causing a stir to add more noise and prod both sides for a trade. Pop rests his players and rarely makes them go above 35 minutes. Pop pioneered that shit. This stuff is unbelievable. Unless there are facts I highly advise not to believe these “sports writers” and “analysts”. These idiots barely get it right.

FireMicoHalili
04-27-2018, 07:12 PM
It’s weird the Knicks want Porzingis flipped for Kawhi. Knee injury seems serious. Slow news month for sports in New York I guess. Frank Isola has to make a living too. Can’t blame him but that’s bad sports journalism.

lmbebo
04-27-2018, 07:24 PM
It’s weird the Knicks want Porzingis flipped for Kawhi. Knee injury seems serious. Slow news month for sports in New York I guess. Frank Isola has to make a living too. Can’t blame him but that’s bad sports journalism.

They say KP is gonna be out all of next year as well ....

james evans
04-27-2018, 07:31 PM
I wish we all could agree on one thing. That NO ONE knows for sure what's going on other than the parties involved.

tholdren
04-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Kl lets his sister shave his armpits

BillMc
04-29-2018, 11:30 AM
I wish we all could agree on one thing. That NO ONE knows for sure what's going on other than the parties involved.

And frankly even those parties may not know completely.