PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Kawhi/Gay stay, what is the one most important upgrade needed?

Big Empty
04-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Are you comfortable running it back with the same team and a healthy Kawhi? Do you feel there is a position that needs a major upgrade? Assuming Kawhi stays, i say we draft a raw center or tall sg with upside or trade Gasol’s expiring contract for younger help at those two positions. Im comfortable running it back with Murray/Mills/Parker/White taking turns at point depending on matchups. Our interior defense was pretty bad. I think a mobile Center is the biggest need even before a Danny Green back up or replacement.

kuato
04-27-2018, 03:10 PM
A defensive big to replace Gasoft and a good small combo guard to replace Forbes

John B
04-27-2018, 03:11 PM
I’m okay with Murray/Green/Kawhi/Gay/LMA assuming Murray develop pick n roll/shoulder shot and even occasional 3 pts. Yes a big rebounder/blocker. Let Forbes go and bring Nicola Milutinov in

Keepin' it real
04-27-2018, 03:13 PM
You know what happens when you assume ...

John B
04-27-2018, 03:15 PM
You know what happens when you assume ...
:lol

MoSpur02
04-27-2018, 03:23 PM
The need a big who is quick and can defend the paint and also defend the perimeter

SpursforSix
04-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Maybe one or two undersized poor to average shooters.

exstatic
04-27-2018, 03:31 PM
I'm not even up for discussing the roster until Kawhi is traded, and we see what comes back.

superbigtime
04-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Man take your pick. Need improvements across the board. Guard play sticks out.

KDKSpurs24
04-27-2018, 03:46 PM
An athletic big and a physical athletic guard.

TheGreatYacht
04-27-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm fine with Murray and White starting on the backcourt. Biggest need is a modern athletic Center like Capela, Gobert, Turner, Adams, McGee, etc.

Outside of Aldridge, there isn't a big worth a shit on this roster. Gasol is unplayable and Bertans is below average at literally every aspect of the game.

kaji157
04-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Add any player that can play better than 41 y/o Ginóbili.
By doing that you just added your third best player.
Manu cannot continue to be the third best player on the team.

superbigtime
04-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Add any player that can play better than 41 y/o Ginóbili.
By doing that you just added your third best player.
Manu cannot continue to be the third best player on the team.

Who was 2nd best this year?

Big Empty
04-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Who was 2nd best this year?
Ha ha ha....exactly

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Shooters! Holy fuck does this team desperately need
Consistent outside shooters.

rogcl1
04-27-2018, 04:17 PM
A real NBA point guard with point guard skills and an athletic good shooting guard with basic defensive skils.

tmtcsc
04-27-2018, 04:19 PM
This is team is in desperate need of an elite point guard who can shoot.

SAGirl
04-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Point guard tbh, then SG, then a big who can rebound and block a shot...

SAGirl
04-27-2018, 04:22 PM
This is team is in desperate need of an elite point guard who can shoot.
Yup ^ this

gambit1990
04-27-2018, 04:23 PM
1) defensive big
2) defensive wing
3) no more lollygagging with tony, forbes / don't resign lauvergne if he opts out

murray, white
patty/manu, green or a defensive wing
kawhi/gay, green or a defensive wing
la/milutinov, bertans
mcgee/gasol

dedmon and deandre have player options.

cd021
04-27-2018, 04:25 PM
A defensive big to replace Gasoft and a good small combo guard to replace Forbes

Gasol off the bench to backup LMA is the perfect role for him tbh and we already have White, so check and check.

KDKSpurs24
04-27-2018, 04:27 PM
1) defensive big
2) defensive wing
3) no more lollygagging with tony, forbes / don't resign lauvergne if he opts out

murray, white
patty/manu, green or a defensive wing
kawhi/gay, green or a defensive wing
la/milutinov, bertans
mcgee/gasol

dedmon and deandre have player options.
I agree with a lot of this but.. even with these bad defensive players we still always seem to hold teams under a 100 points because of the defensive system. Yes I want bigger guys that can play defense but we NEED people that can score the ball mainly. Too many guys on the team that opposi defenses don’t have to guard.

SAGirl
04-27-2018, 04:32 PM
I agree with a lot of this but.. even with these bad defensive players we still always seem to hold teams under a 100 points because of the defensive system. Yes I want bigger guys that can play defense but we NEED people that can score the ball mainly. Too many guys on the team that opposi defenses don’t have to guard.
Starting with Murray...

cd021
04-27-2018, 04:32 PM
If Kawhi and Gay stay then I actually really like this team, they might be super close to the luxury tax so there really isn't an upgrade in FA that can be had but internally there is;

1. Stay "small" with LMA at the 5 and Gasol off the bench
2. Bring back Anderson, Bertans, and Green on solid deals
3. Hope Manu returns
4. Get rid of Forbes and give role to White
5. Better health and, by extension, more coherent lineups ; no Parker, Forbes, Mills, Manu, Gasol lineups :lol

Murray, Green, Kawhi, Gay LMA
Parker, Mills, Manu, Anderson/ Bertans, Gasol

(If Manu retires; Parker, Mills, Anderson, Bertans, Gasol)

spurraider21
04-27-2018, 04:38 PM
:lmao bring back anderson and green

ship has sailed on those two

SAGirl
04-27-2018, 04:38 PM
They need guards who can put the ball in the basket... Mills is not a starting level SG

Dingle Barry
04-27-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm mostly a homer so I can't say for sure, but we must have one of the worst backcourts in the association.

Robz4000
04-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Defensive big and a capable guard off the bench.

TD 21
04-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Young, modern center is a need going forward, but I believe Aldridge and Gasol finished top 5 and 10, respectively, in opponent field goal % within' 3 feet of the rim and by extension, so did the team. Don't be fooled into thinking they can't protect the rim because neither is an above the rim type. Their combination length, timing, experience and in the case of the former, effort, compensates.

By far the biggest need is the same one it's been for the past 4 seasons: A dynamic guard. There's no way to fix it if they're unwilling to have a difficult, but necessary discussion with Parker (expect that they give him 1 more year before it comes to that . . . though Buford saying "they'll make a decision on him at the appropriate time" was interesting).

Murray/Parker would be even more useless offensively off ball than on, so they need to be on, which is probably why they won't sign someone like Evans. Though an improved 3-point shooter, the main appeal would be his ability to create.

In part because "we" play at one of the slowest paces in the league. Regular season, this is an elite defense. Playoffs, they're not as suited for, with plodding bigs, midget guards and 2 of their best defensive players being drains on their already sub par offense.

Chris
04-27-2018, 06:14 PM

nailed it

Someone who can box out and do the dirty work and someone who can make wide open 3's would be great

ducks
04-27-2018, 06:47 PM
I'm not even up for discussing the roster until Kawhi is traded, and we see what comes back.

Strategic
04-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Trade everyone else to Utah for Gobert and a bag of skinny women.

SAGirl
04-27-2018, 06:59 PM
I'm mostly a homer so I can't say for sure, but we must have one of the worst backcourts in the association.
yup and fans want to stand pat with the guard rotation... sure...

Dingle Barry
04-27-2018, 07:26 PM

At least the LMA 18 foot fade-based offense is so effective and fun to watch!

Dingle Barry
04-27-2018, 07:28 PM
A defensive big to replace Gasoft

How about Dewayne Dedmon

kuato
04-27-2018, 08:13 PM
How about Dewayne Dedmon

He is good, no need to score, a big to defend the paint and a combo guard to defendmperimeter.

kuato
04-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Gasol off the bench to backup LMA is the perfect role for him tbh and we already have White, so check and check.

Gasol can't defend, i see White as a replacement for Parker.

sasaint
04-27-2018, 08:23 PM

I am all for getting rid of all of them except White. I'd like to see him get a chance to repeat as G-League champ.

sasaint
04-27-2018, 08:25 PM
At least the LMA 18 foot fade-based offense is so effective and fun to watch!

Some of us didn't want him to begin with. Unfotunately, he is now our best player... Smh.

Slippy
04-27-2018, 08:27 PM
An acutal PG whos competent at running the PnR . Not a makeshift one.

r0drig0lac
04-27-2018, 10:38 PM
He is good, no need to score, a big to defend the paint and a combo guard to defendmperimeter.

Gasol 10/8/3 in 46/36/76 23mpg
Dedmon 10/8/1 in 52/35/78 25mpg

Truth4sale$
04-27-2018, 11:08 PM
The spurs are in desperate need of an rim attacking shooting guard. The only guys who can do it are Kawhi(if he stays), Ginoboli(retirement),and possibly Dejounte if nobody dares him to shoot first.

Slippy
04-28-2018, 01:17 AM
This too.

tbdog
04-28-2018, 02:22 AM
It is such a shame we didnt play our cards right last offseason. We could have had Gasol, Green, and Parker coming off the books, 40mil. I suppose if they knew Leonard was going to be out, we could have let Mills walk, written the year off, and gone hard for this offseaon. Alas, we just have to deal with limited flexibility.

pad300
04-28-2018, 11:08 AM
My view is the offense has been crippled by lack of an intiator - we need someone to play "point" be it guard, forward, or center (although I can't say I have ever seen a point center). Even with Kawhi coming back, I think we need at least 1 more creator on the perimeter.

itzsoweezee
04-28-2018, 12:24 PM
SHOOTING! The Spurs need legit 2 guards that can shoot threes. Patty, Danny, and Bryn are not cutting it. These guys were missing wide open looks.

TimDunkem
04-28-2018, 12:35 PM
a good small combo guard to replace Forbes

WE DON'T NEED MORE MIDGETS. We already have SGs in PGs bodies in Mills and Parker.

NO MORE players who cannot defend any position.

TimDunkem
04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
The Spurs have holes everywhere. The biggest issue right now is upgrading the 2 guard spot where the best player is 41 years old, his backup peaked in 2013, and the 3rd stringer is a YMCA caliber player.

hater
04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Lebron tbqh

Otherwise tank and save us the grief

SpursDynasty85
04-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Assuming DJ is our pg and Derrick White is our SG, we need a SF. If Kawhi and Gay come back, we need a versatile PG/SG combo or pure SG with athleticism. Then an athletic Big to give LA some help on the front line offensively and defensively.

SAGirl
04-28-2018, 01:32 PM
The Spurs have holes everywhere. The biggest issue right now is upgrading the 2 guard spot where the best player is 41 years old, his backup peaked in 2013, and the 3rd stringer is a YMCA caliber player.

BD24
04-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Need to get rid of Danny tbh. Still amazing that the guy went from a knockdown 3 pt shooter to the piece of garbage from 3 he is now. Was hitting pull ups in the finals with ease a few years back, clanking wide open 3's these days.

TimDunkem
04-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Oh and a random bum from the street named BP3.

james evans
04-28-2018, 04:34 PM

The biggest issue is the front office who let Simmons and Dedmond walk to re-sign the corpse of Gasol, Mills, and this summer Parker to multiple years

TD 21
04-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Assuming DJ is our pg and Derrick White is our SG, we need a SF. If Kawhi and Gay come back, we need a versatile PG/SG combo or pure SG with athleticism. Then an athletic Big to give LA some help on the front line offensively and defensively.

Think White will top out as more of a 3rd guard, along the lines of Dinwiddie and Brogdon.

:tu

Scroll down . . . http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124967&page=107

CGD
04-28-2018, 08:33 PM
A massive upgrade at the SG, first. Then Rotation bigs next.

spurs10
04-28-2018, 09:51 PM
A massive upgrade at the SG, first. Then Rotation bigs next. I like the defensive potential of Murray and Danny but we need to score. Maybe a long summer with Chip will help.

tholdren
04-28-2018, 10:30 PM
Its telling. As shitty as the perimeter players have been, kyle still cant get any more minutes or distance himself from their shitty play. Irony

tholdren
04-28-2018, 10:32 PM
A massive upgrade at the SG, first. Then Rotation bigs next.

Spurs need a passer. Name one nba champion in the past x years who wasnt among the best in apg.... yet you people are too dumb to realize. You dont need a star. Thats media hype to sell shit

dbestpro
04-28-2018, 11:52 PM
They could use a head coach whose focus is basketball. Don't want to slam Pop too much because this is probably the worst year of his life.

Slippy
04-29-2018, 01:09 AM
Spurs need a passer. Name one nba champion in the past x years who wasnt among the best in apg.... yet you people are too dumb to realize. You dont need a star. Thats media hype to sell shit

This

From Downtown
04-29-2018, 03:36 AM
We need a good PG (I don't know if White is ready to be that guy) or at least someone with playmaking skills, 41 years old Manu, if he ever comes back, is not enough even tho he's done a pretty nice job when running the point
We need a SG with the ability and athleticism to attack the basket
We need a good defensive big who can rebound and possibly isn't a complete liability on offense

BSfromTX
04-29-2018, 10:22 AM
I go with passer/facilitator as well. Manu will greatly be missed as he knows how to set others up.

If we don’t get anyone, I’d like to see white get significant time to see what he can do

pad300
04-29-2018, 12:48 PM

Not sure about this. We have made an offence run with a scoring PG work before (many times) - look at 2014 with the beautiful game: TP ( with Green, Kawhi, Tim, and Tiago/Boris ). No really dominant assist guy, but TP was a capable intiator for the offense, what with his top-notch drive skill. the second unit also had a high skill initiator - Manu.

Compare to this year - we have no "initiator" of signficant skill and the offense was choked... Our "initiator" was supposed to be Mills(no real skill beyond shooting)/TP(too old/injured)/Murray(unskilled)...

From Downtown
04-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Not sure about this. We have made an offence run with a scoring PG work before (many times) - look at 2014 with the beautiful game: TP ( with Green, Kawhi, Tim, and Tiago/Boris ). No really dominant assist guy, but TP was a capable intiator for the offense, what with his top-notch drive skill. the second unit also had a high skill initiator - Manu.

Compare to this year - we have no "initiator" of signficant skill and the offense was choked... Our "initiator" was supposed to be Mills(no real skill beyond shooting)/TP(too old/injured)/Murray(unskilled)...

That team also had great passing bigs, Bobo was basically a point forward, Tiago and Tim were amazing passers

pad300
04-29-2018, 01:09 PM

That team also had great passing bigs, Bobo was basically a point forward, Tiago and Tim were amazing passers

Sure, but none of them were dominating the APG charts for that year. We need someoone who is capable of initiating the offense by putting pressure on the defense, starting with the ball in his hands, from the perimeter. This was something we were completely lacking this year.

tholdren
04-29-2018, 02:59 PM

Look at where apurs team ranks in apg the years you are citing

J_Paco
04-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Joe Harris and Nerlens Noel could be good options if both are available in free agency. Both provide something this team sorely needs, although the team would still lack an elite playmaker that a player of Noel's elk needs (ala Tyson Chandler, Clint Capela & Javal McGee).

If Kawhi comes back then the team would only need to get a bit younger, athletic and offensively versatile to compete.

Also, salary dumping Patty for a 2nd round pick or a solid project/developmental player would also be a move I would make.....

Thomas82
04-29-2018, 05:48 PM
We need rim protection in the worst way.

Slippy
04-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Sure, but none of them were dominating the APG charts for that year. We need someoone who is capable of initiating the offense by putting pressure on the defense, starting with the ball in his hands, from the perimeter. This was something we were completely lacking this year.

Thats very good point about that spurs team but look at the initiators & passers on that team. As a collective they were very good & won a title.

Pauleta14
04-29-2018, 07:34 PM
We need in priority a defensive big and a ball handler, either PG or SG, but someone who can keep it under pressure.

CGD
04-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Joe Harris and Nerlens Noel could be good options if both are available in free agency. Both provide something this team sorely needs, although the team would still lack an elite playmaker that a player of Noel's elk needs (ala Tyson Chandler, Clint Capela & Javal McGee).

If Kawhi comes back then the team would only need to get a bit younger, athletic and offensively versatile to compete.

Also, salary dumping Patty for a 2nd round pick or a solid project/developmental player would also be a move I would make.....

Co-signed

I’d like to see if anything is salvageable with Noel. Harris is a solid role player at a postion of need.

MultiTroll
04-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Replace
1. Crater nothing will change until.
2. Mills
3. Gasoft just cut the losses on this beyond retard contract.
4. Do no resign Parker for one penny over minimum. Otherwise let him walk. He has already talked of continuing to play as a non Spurs.
5. Forbes. What an idiotic draft.