PDA

View Full Version : How likely is LeBron James to join the Spurs this summer?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Uriel
05-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Multiple reports (https://twitter.com/SedanoESPN/status/959100623382765568) have Golden State and San Antonio atop LeBron’s offseason list.

This is similar to the situation of the summer of 2016, when Kevin Durant was deciding between the Warriors, Thunder, and Spurs. In an interview on his decision-making process later that year, he revealed that his decision ultimately came down to the Warriors and the Spurs, and he chose the Warriors because they lost to the Cavs in the Finals that year and he felt he could be the piece that would bring them over the top. This implies that he would have gone to San Antonio had Golden State won the championship that year.

Assuming LeBron follows a similar decision-making process, it is likely his choice will come down to Golden State and San Antonio this summer (assuming he decides to leave Cleveland). And if the Warriors ultimately win the championship (which they likely will), then he may feel that his best shot to dethrone them and win another championship will be with the Spurs.

https://image.ibb.co/b4s4US/Capture.jpg

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22453452/destination-lebron-where-king-james-land-free-agency-summer

daslicer
05-06-2018, 12:25 AM
As high as the chances of Trump never telling a lie from this day forward.

ceds
05-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Urinal with the hot take

0%

BatManu20
05-06-2018, 12:45 AM
Zero percent chance.

phxspurfan
05-06-2018, 12:48 AM
-0%

Uriel
05-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Zero percent chance.

-0%

How are you all so sure?

We already had a thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272198&highlight=LeBron+James) discussing the rumor that the Warriors and the Spurs were atop LeBron’s list. And we all know he’s not going to Golden State (especially if they win the championship).

Throw in LeBron’s love of Pop and it doesn’t seem so far-fetched. All the Spurs would have to do to free up a max slot is salary dump Pau and get rid of Parker, since we already know Green and Gay will opt out.

I think the possibility is more likely than many people seem to realize.

phxspurfan
05-06-2018, 01:20 AM
How are you all so sure?

We already had a thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272198&highlight=LeBron+James) discussing the rumor that the Warriors and the Spurs were atop LeBron’s list. And we all know he’s not going to Golden State (especially if they win the championship).

Throw in LeBron’s love of Pop and it doesn’t seem so far-fetched. All the Spurs would have to do to free up a max slot is salary dump Pau and get rid of Parker, since we already know Green and Gay will opt out.

I think the possibility is more likely than many people seem to realize.

Bc the Spurs are a shit show right now and no star, much less superstar is joining a shit show

daslicer
05-06-2018, 01:23 AM
Bc the Spurs are a shit show right now and no star, much less superstar is joining a shit show

Yup pretty much this. Factor in the shit show going on right now with Kawhi and Uncle Dennis. It's a pretty unstable situation.

Uriel
05-06-2018, 01:27 AM

Yup pretty much this. Factor in the shit show going on right now with Kawhi and Uncle Dennis. It's a pretty unstable situation.
That’s true.

But if somehow Kawhi and the Spurs are able to mend fences and Kawhi signs the supermax the first chance he gets, wouldn’t that entice LeBron to join San Antonio and form the most formidable Big 3 in the NBA since the 2011 - 2014 Heat?

MultiTroll
05-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Kevin Durant was deciding between the Warriors, Thunder, and Spurs. In an interview on his decision-making process later that year, he revealed that his decision ultimately came down to the Warriors and the Spurs,
I thought it leaked out that Vagina Durant had been spooning with the Warriorths all season long that season. His tanking after the 3-1 OKC lead due to the fact he knew he was joining the Golden Phaggots.

I don't buy at all that a twat like him would consider the Spurs. Gay Area all the way.

As to LeBron and all this Love of Pop schpeel. LeBron knows what's up with the Spurs. Sure he talks to DeJonte on the regular too. I think Lebron has a love of Healthy Kwas game and would love to team up with a Healthy Kwa to ream the Warriors. But now? No way.

Hoops Czar
05-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Multiple reports (https://twitter.com/SedanoESPN/status/959100623382765568) have Golden State and San Antonio atop LeBron’s offseason list.

This is similar to the situation of the summer of 2016, when Kevin Durant was deciding between the Warriors, Thunder, and Spurs. In an interview on his decision-making process later that year, he revealed that his decision ultimately came down to the Warriors and the Spurs, and he chose the Warriors because they lost to the Cavs in the Finals that year and he felt he could be the piece that would bring them over the top. This implies that he would have gone to San Antonio had Golden State won the championship that year.

Assuming LeBron follows a similar decision-making process, it is likely his choice will come down to Golden State and San Antonio this summer (assuming he decides to leave Cleveland). And if the Warriors ultimately win the championship (which they likely will), then he may feel that his best shot to dethrone them and win another championship will be with the Spurs.

You read too many comics kid. Kevin Durant was never going to be a Spur. It was the Warriors, OKC and nobody else. Kawhi Leonard didn't even show up at the lunchin, extend a telephone call or mail a greeting card because according to SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524), his wife was expecting sometime over the summer and he needed to be by her side.

The only way Lebron even contemplates a move to San Antonio is if Kawhi recruits him and we both know it's going to be a cold in hell before that little fucker opens his mouth.

Kawhitstorm
05-06-2018, 02:04 AM
As much as the dirty creek being attractive to potential free agents outside of Texas

alpha_HaZE
05-06-2018, 02:09 AM
Not sure, but the only way I see it is if we shop Kawhi for draft picks and that would/should clear enough space to sign Lebron? Not sure if that works cap-wise, but I don't us being able to have two max contracts. And without Kawhi is Lebron going to come to SA?

We could trade Kawhi for multiple first round picks, players that could possibly be contributors and that might convince Lebron to join the Spurs but I don't see it.

Big Empty
05-06-2018, 06:41 AM
20%. He has a small window left to catch Jordan. He’s going where he can win chips.
1. Philadelphia (solid team and they will trade for kawhi too after getting smashed by the injured celtics)
2. New Orleans (they are giving the Warriors hell, add LeBron and they are unbeatable)

LittleCriminal
05-06-2018, 06:49 AM
I'd say he's on the spurs roster if the Cavs do not rang this year..book it!

Canyonero
05-06-2018, 08:54 AM
I already ordered a LBJ Spurs jersey so it better be true.

gambit1990
05-06-2018, 08:56 AM
it would be likely if kawhi was healthy.

sananspursfan21
05-06-2018, 09:07 AM
I think if Kawhi sticks around, it could happen.

Seventyniner
05-06-2018, 09:34 AM
How would LeBron handle not being the highest-paid player on his own team in 2019-2020 once Kawhi signs the supermax?

Uriel
05-06-2018, 09:45 AM
How would LeBron handle not being the highest-paid player on his own team in 2019-2020 once Kawhi signs the supermax?
Didn't he go through a similar situation with the Heat and Dwyane Wade? Besides, I would like to think he's at the stage in his career where he cares more about his legacy than money.

RD2191
05-06-2018, 09:56 AM
LeBron is a huge faggot but he wouldn't go to the dubs. That's just ridiculous. :lol

lmbebo
05-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Small chance if Kwahi sticks around. None if Kwahi bolts

keithington1
05-06-2018, 10:08 AM
8% chance. Kawhi doesn't talk so Dejounte would have to recruit.

tenbeersbold
05-06-2018, 10:21 AM
LOL,no way PATFO would allow lebron the control he has over the Cavs
To even entertain the thought means you haven't really been paying attention
I'd rather they take those millions and clone a 22 year old TD21 'cause they're both about as likely to happen!

Dex
05-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Each playoff win the Cavs get further ensures Lebron ain't leaving.

CGD
05-06-2018, 11:17 AM
He and George go to LA like originally planned. CLE and/or OKC lucky if they get anything from LAL out of it.

SupremeGuy
05-06-2018, 11:26 AM
As high as the chances of Trump never telling a lie from this day forward.Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-06-2018, 11:31 AM
If Poop goes all out and wines and dines LeBron then it may be like a 10% chance tbqh

TheDoctor
05-06-2018, 11:43 AM
http://www.diehardsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/WwzBB0g.jpg

daslicer
05-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Be the guy that offends Trumpers? :lol If that's the case at least half of the country likes me.

Barfunk
05-06-2018, 01:24 PM
0% Though he may consider in his last couple of seasons when he is like 41 or 42. He is just too young at the moment to consider the Spurs.

daslicer
05-06-2018, 01:32 PM
0% Though he may consider in his last couple of seasons when he is like 41 or 42. He is just too young at the moment to consider the Spurs.

:lol He will probably break Kareem's all time points record when he's with the Spurs in his 40's.

George Gervin's Afro
05-06-2018, 01:46 PM
0%

Mr. Body
05-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Almost nil chance for Spurs. Completely nil chance for GSW. OP was stupid.

Spurtacular
05-06-2018, 01:56 PM

I've yet to see one report that cited GS, tbh.

MVPCues
05-06-2018, 02:56 PM
The chance Lebron joins the Spurs...haven't you guys seen Dumb and Dumber?

DAF86
05-06-2018, 02:59 PM
At the idea of Lebron joining Golden State :lol

If that happens, we should trade them Kawhi for Zaza straight up, just for the sake of it.

Chillen
05-06-2018, 04:02 PM
No chance of joining Warriors because LeBron would never want the stigma that has been left on Durant. Spurs have a chance but I think if he leaves Cavs he will join Houston.

dbestpro
05-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Lebron will sign with the Spurs and convince Kawhi that his uncle is damaging his career. Green will not get the contract he wants and will sign a one year deal on the cheap to stay with buddy Lebron. In the end it means no mega deal for Parker to ride the pine with.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Damn, you're that confident LeBron is joining the Spurs? :downspin:

TD 21
05-06-2018, 04:57 PM
By my calculations, approximately :lmao %.

The 4 teams he's said to be considering . . .

- 76ers: Would be an atrocious fit with Simmons and he's too old for them to trade the latter just to appease him. It's also doubtful that would even do so, since they're buddies.

- Lakers: Even if (when?) George signs and with the requisite ring chasing veterans, wouldn't be a championship contender. Would also be a poor fit with Ball.

- Rockets: Would instantly become championship favorites, which equals beaucoup criticism. Even though Harden and Paul can shoot, 3 ball dominant, elite play makers would be awkward and unprecedented.

- Cavaliers: Timing hurts them. If the Nets pick ends up 8th or 9th, packaging it for Walker would make sense. Problem is, if he leaves, they'd be better off holding onto the pick and won't know his decision at that point.

BillMc
05-06-2018, 05:45 PM
In before someone posts that Dumb and Dumber "You mean't there's a chance?" gif.

Mark in Austin
05-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Apparently LeBron is obsessed with wine, so he and Pop would have fun during the team meals...

Uriel
05-06-2018, 07:03 PM
I've yet to see one report that cited GS, tbh.
There's a link in that passage that you quoted.

Uriel
05-06-2018, 07:06 PM
By my calculations, approximately :lmao %.

The 4 teams he's said to be considering . . .

- 76ers: Would be an atrocious fit with Simmons and he's too old for them to trade the latter just to appease him. It's also doubtful that would even do so, since they're buddies.

- Lakers: Even if (when?) George signs and with the requisite ring chasing veterans, wouldn't be a championship contender. Would also be a poor fit with Ball.

- Rockets: Would instantly become championship favorites, which equals beaucoup criticism. Even though Harden and Paul can shoot, 3 ball dominant, elite play makers would be awkward and unprecedented.

- Cavaliers: Timing hurts them. If the Nets pick ends up 8th or 9th, packaging it for Walker would make sense. Problem is, if he leaves, they'd be better off holding onto the pick and won't know his decision at that point.
He's "said to be considering" the Spurs too. In fact, there are reports are that the Spurs are somewhere atop his list.

You just laid out all the reasons why he wouldn't sign with the other teams he's "said to be considering." By process of elimination, wouldn't that leave the Spurs?

Uriel
05-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Almost nil chance for Spurs. Completely nil chance for GSW. OP was stupid.
Read that post again and tell me what's wrong with it.

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2018, 07:10 PM
:lol this poor fanbase, getting its hopes up for a superstar literally every off-season..

Uriel
05-06-2018, 07:11 PM

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22453452/destination-lebron-where-king-james-land-free-agency-summer

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2018, 07:12 PM
^^:lol that first paragraph..Kawhi and Uncle Dennis would certainly disagree with the closing sentence..

Uriel
05-06-2018, 07:18 PM
There are a couple of Spurs already recruiting him on social media.

K...
05-06-2018, 07:38 PM
For better or worse LeBron is the only player who could replace Tim Duncan as the dominant player who has synergistic respect with pop.

TheDoctor
05-06-2018, 07:48 PM

LeBron in Austin "Da God" Daye's jersey. I can't get over it tbh.

TheDoctor
05-06-2018, 07:50 PM
^^:lol that first paragraph..Kawhi and Uncle Dennis would certainly disagree with the closing sentence..

:lol TBH

dbestpro
05-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Seriously, though. What kind of contract do you think Parker will get? He does not seem to be worth the 15 mil that he got paid this year, but we all know he thinks he's worth more, and then there's the Spur over pay for vets.

Budkin
05-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Book it tbh

TD 21
05-06-2018, 10:03 PM
He's "said to be considering" the Spurs too. In fact, there are reports are that the Spurs are somewhere atop his list.

You just laid out all the reasons why he wouldn't sign with the other teams he's "said to be considering." By process of elimination, wouldn't that leave the Spurs?

If there are, they're not credible ones.

Sure, but the Spurs aren't viewed as "black enough" to appeal to most "African-Americans", particularly the ones who can pick and choose where they want to go. The Aldridge and Leonard situations will only solidify their not providing an environment conducive to them.

Structurally, they wouldn't be a good fit either. Aldridge would have to be convinced to morph into a stretch big. Murray and Parker would be atrocious and poor fits respectively. They'd also lack 2-way or at least non liability wings (Green and Gay would be gone).

ceds
05-06-2018, 10:08 PM
If there are, they're not credible ones.

Sure, but the Spurs aren't viewed as "black enough" to appeal to most "African-Americans", particularly the ones who can pick and choose where they want to go. The Aldridge and Leonard situations will only solidify their not providing an environment conducive to them.

Structurally, they wouldn't be a good fit either. Aldridge would have to be convinced to morph into a stretch big. Murray and Parker would be atrocious and poor fits respectively. They'd also lack 2-way or at least non liability wings (Green and Gay would be gone).

wtf are you smoking .....we'd be championship favourites if we landed Bron

I'd give up Green and Gay in a heartbeat

Chillen
05-06-2018, 10:13 PM

I love that ESPN page, scroll up and down and LeBron is changing his jersey, lol.

SupremeGuy
05-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Be the guy that offends Trumpers? :lol If that's the case at least half of the country likes me.No, the guy dragging politics in a sports thread.

MultiTroll
05-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Is Vegas taking action on this?

kuato
05-07-2018, 01:11 AM
None, zero, cero, niente, ni en pedo.

Hoops Czar
05-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Did it come with a box of matches? If not, I'm sure there's still time to get your money back.

spurs10
05-07-2018, 01:43 AM
I was at HEB when I ran into Kawhi by the molasses section and I asked him if LeBron was teaming up with him next season. Just then I was grabbed and thrown to the ground by a very crazy and large man. Kawhi yelled, "Uncle....easy there! He's just asking about LeBron joining me next year!" At that point the man that knocked me down helped me up apologizing profusely. He tried to get me tp sign some kind legal form, but I just said "that's not going happen, unless you sign with the Spurs for a five year extension." My assailant replied, "Damn, I guess he's got us Kawhi." and everyone lived happily ever after...The End

TheRemix
05-07-2018, 03:44 AM
I'd say like a 5% chance, just can't wait to see how the offseason goes for the spurs

Chillen
05-07-2018, 04:37 AM
I'd say the chance increases of LeBron to Spurs if Cavs get eliminated by Celtics without Irving and Hayward.

No one talks about it but if LeBron really wants to stick it to Warriors sign for the vet min with Celtics next season. I know won't happen with Kyrie there but wow that team would be stacked if he did and look how they are doing without those two key players.

tbdog
05-07-2018, 04:53 AM
More likely than Durant was. Lebron has a lot of admiration for the Spurs and Pop. Durant doesn't. Plus Lebron admires Leonard's game and is friends with Murray.

BillMc
05-07-2018, 05:28 AM
I was at HEB when I ran into Kawhi by the molasses section and I asked him if LeBron was teaming up with him next season. Just then I was grabbed and thrown to the ground by a very crazy and large man. Kawhi yelled, "Uncle....easy there! He's just asking about LeBron joining me next year!" At that point the man that knocked me down helped me up apologizing profusely. He tried to get me tp sign some kind legal form, but I just said "that's not going happen, unless you sign with the Spurs for a five year extension." My assailant replied, "Damn, I guess he's got us Kawhi." and everyone lived happily ever after...The End
:lol

Well done

Spur|n|Austin
05-07-2018, 09:18 AM
20%, maybe less.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpKniGqRNLGBrhu/giphy.gif

spurraider21
05-07-2018, 12:47 PM
incredibly unlikely

kawhi saga would have to be completely resolved first... he's not going to join if kawhi's on the brink of leaving. lebron is 33. he's not going to want to raise dejounte and derrick white... he's looking for a place he can compete immediately. if kawhi is here, that's a 1-2 punch that can stand up to GSW.

as much as spurfan loves to shit on pop, he's the main reason lebron would come in the unlikely event he did. a coach he genuinely respects, a guy who has always found time to rest stars, and a guy who can create systems that could allow lebron to take plays off or not be so heavily worked. this season was an abberation with LMA being so heavily leaned on, but that was the product of the kawhi injury more than anything else. aldridge isn't going to be the #1 on a "beautiful game" team. he doesn't have the skill set required for that.

DPG21920
05-07-2018, 12:48 PM
incredibly unlikely

kawhi saga would have to be completely resolved first... he's not going to join if kawhi's on the brink of leaving. lebron is 33. he's not going to want to raise dejounte and derrick white... he's looking for a place he can compete immediately. if kawhi is here, that's a 1-2 punch that can stand up to GSW.

For sure. I don’t know anyone that really thinks Lebron would come here as a Kawhi replacement. It only makes sense to team up with Kawhi/LMA while also having some promising youth that made the playoffs in the West with no Kawhi.

Uriel
05-08-2018, 01:56 AM
Looking ahead, if this fantasy comes into fruition, our roster next year could be:

C - Milutinov, Lauvergne
PF - Aldridge, Bertans
SF - James, Anderson, 18th pick (Smith (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/zhaire-smith) / Musa (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dzanan-musa))
SG - Leonard, Ginobili, Forbes, Paul
PG - Murray, Mills, White

WE'RE STAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKED :wow :wow :wow

E20
05-08-2018, 10:49 AM
I thought there would be a chance, but Kawhi and Dennis fucked it up.

NameLess Scrub
05-08-2018, 11:35 AM
There was never a chance. Not even sure why this is discussed.

LeBron is not leaving what he has for the Spurs even with a full power Kawhi and LMa and even if it makes sense basketball wise, because it's not only about winning, no matter what he or the media say. Only reason he comes is if he's old enough to come as a vet looking to make the most of his last couple of years.

Why do people here keep dreaming and discussing this? Why would LeBron come if he can superteam anywhere, while making more money and credit. Dude can turn superstars into role players and make the media and fans blame superstars that were very productive elsewhere just because his team lost.

Why whyyyy?

DaBears
05-08-2018, 11:40 AM
I would say Kiwi has a better chance of cutting of his cornrows & resigning w/SPURS for lets than the SuperMax b4 LBJ would come to SA.

tbdog
05-08-2018, 11:46 AM
There was never a chance. Not even sure why this is discussed.

LeBron is not leaving what he has for the Spurs even with a full power Kawhi and LMa and even if it makes sense basketball wise, because it's not only about winning, no matter what he or the media say. Only reason he comes is if he's old enough to come as a vet looking to make the most of his last couple of years.

Why do people here keep dreaming and discussing this? Why would LeBron come if he can superteam anywhere, while making more money and credit. Dude can turn superstars into role players and make the media and fans blame superstars that were very productive elsewhere just because his team lost.

Why whyyyy?

Lebron makes money anywhere in the league. Heck, he makes money in Cleveland. He would want to join to the spurs because of pop and they are title contenders. Plus he would fit alongside the Spurs big 2. However with Pop questionable for coaching again or even the issues around Leonard, perhaps there won't even be a meeting. There would be no point if either of those two things happen.

BSfromTX
05-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I thought there would be a chance, but Kawhi and Dennis fucked it up.

Me too. 2017 Kawhi plus this years LMA would be strong and could be enticing to join. I think aside from money and marketing, he wants to join a team that he feels could dethrone the Warriors once adding him.. Spurs were that team last year, but this year? SMH

SuperCam
05-08-2018, 01:22 PM
lebron not coming, apparently it was a misunderstanding

SAGirl
05-08-2018, 02:26 PM
^
https://media.giphy.com/media/l41JUepQ8rqpnI5ZS/giphy.gif

TheDoctor
05-08-2018, 04:55 PM

https://i.makeagif.com/media/1-06-2015/hg2nPV.gif

HarlemHeat37
05-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Even knowing that there's no chance, Aldridge must still have nightmares about LeBron joining the Spurs and/or Kawhi returning:lol

"NOOOO!! NOT MY TOUCHES!!!"

DMC
05-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Probably about the same chance

that Kawhi Leonard will star in a Broadway musical.

or

That Tony Parker will defer praise to a team mate

or

that Danny Green will develop handles and a midrange jumper over the summer

or

that Patty Mills will pass up a semi-open 3 to feed the post

or

that Pop will miss an opportunity to wax philosophical about politics instead of basketball

or

That Pau Gasol will catch an alley oop from LMA, dunk it over Anthony Davis, standing over Davis afterward beating his chest.

NameLess Scrub
05-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Lebron makes money anywhere in the league. Heck, he makes money in Cleveland. He would want to join to the spurs because of pop and they are title contenders. Plus he would fit alongside the Spurs big 2. However with Pop questionable for coaching again or even the issues around Leonard, perhaps there won't even be a meeting. There would be no point if either of those two things happen.

Interesting, but I would think playing in Cleveland is more about playing for his home team. He doesn't have any ties with the Spurs that can make up for anything he might prefer of other places.

NameLess Scrub
05-09-2018, 12:40 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/1-06-2015/hg2nPV.gif

:lol that KD logic. Warriors were over the top, they just had a hurt Curry and Bogut, and Draymond doing dumb things on the court.

Pretending he was an actual missing piece for the Warriors to be a championship team..

daslicer
05-09-2018, 01:19 PM
:lol that KD logic. Warriors were over the top, they just had a hurt Curry and Bogut, and Draymond doing dumb things on the court.

Pretending he was an actual missing piece for the Warriors to be a championship team..

I felt KD joining the Warriors would have been equivalent to Duncan joining Lakers.

SpursDynasty85
05-09-2018, 02:46 PM
From what I have seen on Lebron's nature and temperament, he does not fit with Popovich and the Spurs. Lebron has an entourage and is his own decision maker on and off the court a lot of times. Significant negotiations, not just on money, would have to be made and the Spurs would have to accommodate a borderline circus compared to what they are used to. After this past season I could see the Spurs making a big push for him as the empty seats in the stands every year is sad to see and it would be a good distraction from the Kawhi drama from this past year.

Lebron would honestly become very credible and enhance his reputation for his desire to be looked at as an unselfish team-first player and he could ride out the last few years of his career being in a protected reputable organization like the Spurs. However, you know how his marketing team wants to keep him out of SA probably but hopefully his really close family and friends will appreciate the Spurs family first environment.

tbdog
05-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Interesting, but I would think playing in Cleveland is more about playing for his home team. He doesn't have any ties with the Spurs that can make up for anything he might prefer of other places.

It would come down to control. Pop will tell him that he can have many more years by managing his minutes. More money in the long run. Bigger legacy. LMA said that was on his list. He liked how pop gets more years out of his vets.

Uriel
05-14-2018, 04:09 AM
Looks good in a Spurs jersey, tbh :wakeup

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdJLts6WAAAR1fx.jpg

Uriel
05-14-2018, 04:11 AM
http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/ex-cavs-gm-opines-on-spurs-adding-lebron-james-to-make-kawhi-leonard-happy

David Griffen, ex Cavs gm on bill Simmons podcast:

My intention wasn’t necessarily to say L.A. made the most sense (as a landing spot for LeBron James), just that it’s as likely as anything else. San Antonio could be as likely as anything else. Why couldn’t San Antonio find a way to clear the space to bring LeBron in to make Kawhi happy? LeBron thinks Pop is an absolute icon. That’s an outcome that could happen as well. And if someone could pull that off, it’s Pop. For me, when I look at it, and you’re making the decision to do this, you have to start, ‘This is the Spurs.’ If this was any other organization, I would believe all the fire starter nonsense about he has to leave. I don’t think you have to do anything. Pop has the level of control and power to say, ‘No, I’m not trading Kawhi Leonard.’ If you’re going to not do that, then you’ve going to need to put him in a position to dictate outcomes, so maybe you have to change the pieces around him. I think that’s more likely than they just cave and move the guy.”

TheDoctor
05-14-2018, 06:37 AM
Looks good in a Spurs jersey, tbh :wakeup

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdJLts6WAAAR1fx.jpg
Austin Daye got a tan for 2K?

Othyus Lalanne
05-14-2018, 07:42 AM
For better or worse LeBron is the only player who could replace Tim Duncan as the dominant player who has synergistic respect with pop.

They have that based on what horsehsit narrative?

05-14-2018, 07:47 AM
About as likely as Kawhi Leonard playing all 82 games in a season.

Phenomanul
05-14-2018, 01:30 PM
As has been stated before, if Celts win without Kyrie or Hayward, Lebron is as good as gone...

SpursDynasty85
05-14-2018, 01:42 PM
I've been very critical of Lebron's decision and actions as a selfish player and marketer of his own brand. I truly believe deep down he is a down to earth family guy but he has a marketing posse and an NBA/media culture that encourages selfish behavior. Lebron is on his last legs whether he likes it or not. All this complaining after fouls is really just him knowing his body can't make it up and down the floor for 38 mpg no longer. If he was smart he would realize his brand and resume is big enough to allow a Spurs type send off and enjoy the later part of his NBA career. Its whether he will change up his decisions and make a comfortable basketball decision and not marketing decision.

cd98
05-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Sadly, his Cav team is in a better position right now being good enough to allow him to win in the East.

spurraider21
05-14-2018, 02:32 PM
I've been very critical of Lebron's decision and actions as a selfish player and marketer of his own brand. I truly believe deep down he is a down to earth family guy but he has a marketing posse and an NBA/media culture that encourages selfish behavior. Lebron is on his last legs whether he likes it or not. All this complaining after fouls is really just him knowing his body can't make it up and down the floor for 38 mpg no longer. If he was smart he would realize his brand and resume is big enough to allow a Spurs type send off and enjoy the later part of his NBA career. Its whether he will change up his decisions and make a comfortable basketball decision and not marketing decision.
dont worry you'll turn on him when he decides to play somewhere besides san antonio

MultiTroll
05-14-2018, 02:39 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by K... (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9381722#post9381722)

They have that based on what horsehsit narrative?

This.
I would also like to know where the alleged deep respect and admiration for Popped as a coach comes from.
Fabrication?

Popped has to be either #1 or at worst #2 behind Phildo Jackson all time as coaches lucking into a roster.
Doubt many other stars (including LeBron) put up with his bullshit line ups and substitutions.

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2018, 02:47 PM
I honestly hope he comes here. That way all of social media will tune in to watch all 82 games and witness first hand how much of a retarded front office we have from top to bottom :lol

Lebron and his fans will absolutely love watching Fatty Shills and Danny League go on a national clanking tour while Gasol gets stripped or blocked by guards in the paint. Hope he's ready for 4 assists per game!

Wont even mention the Mills, Parker, Forbes, Manure, Lebron units that crater face will rely on...

SpursDynasty85
05-14-2018, 02:51 PM
I honestly hope he comes here. That way all of social media will tune in to watch all 82 games and witness first hand how much of a retarded front office we have from top to bottom :lol

Lebron and his fans will absolutely love watching Fatty Shills and Danny League go on a national clanking tour while Gasol gets stripped or blocked by guards in the paint. Hope he's ready for 4 assists per game!

Wont even mention the Mills, Parker, Forbes, Manure, Lebron units that crater face will rely on...

Lol! The assumption with Lebron coming will be him recruiting guys like Kawhi and other players around the league and making sure Spurs make the roster moves to accomodate Lebron. Unfortunately these moves never work out if Lebron is injured or leaves because he is such a big part of any coaching scheme for a team that teams look like crap without Lebron out there.

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Lol! The assumption with Lebron coming will be him recruiting guys like Kawhi and other players around the league and making sure Spurs make the roster moves to accomodate Lebron. Unfortunately these moves never work out if Lebron is injured or leaves because he is such a big part of any coaching scheme for a team that teams look like crap without Lebron out there.
:wow When the Spurs mortgage their future draft picks in order to get rid of Mills and Gasol, only to be abandoned a year later by Kawhi and Bron....

God, yes. That will surely get Drunkford the fuck outta here and on to a rehab center.

cd98
05-14-2018, 04:02 PM

Hey, Pop will finally have the megaphone he wants to talk social issues. He's been done coaching since 2014.

Othyus Lalanne
05-14-2018, 04:12 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by K... (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9381722#post9381722)

This.
I would also like to know where the alleged deep respect and admiration for Popped as a coach comes from.
Fabrication?

Popped has to be either #1 or at worst #2 behind Phildo Jackson all time as coaches lucking into a roster.
Doubt many other stars (including LeBron) put up with his bullshit line ups and substitutions.

Being in the West why shoudl i as a fan want Lebron's bs bullshit?

SpursDynasty85
05-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Being in the West why shoudl i as a fan want Lebron's bs bullshit?

Because it could finally be a sign of him "getting over himself". It wouldn't be full on Lebron show like other franchises. Lebron himself knows he would have to tone down about halfway to be a member of the Spurs. He could be a DRob type in the media become even more about good value and morals. Of course this would be all up to Lebron.

John B
05-15-2018, 12:05 AM
If LeBron loses to Dubs, will LeBron join forces with CP3 and Harden to get back to Dubs? Seems likely

daslicer
05-15-2018, 12:09 AM
Because it could finally be a sign of him "getting over himself". It wouldn't be full on Lebron show like other franchises. Lebron himself knows he would have to tone down about halfway to be a member of the Spurs. He could be a DRob type in the media become even more about good value and morals. Of course this would be all up to Lebron.

:lmao Wow just wow. I can understand wanting Lebron to play for the Spurs but you are pretty delusional to believe he would change as a person by being on the Spurs.

Othyus Lalanne
05-15-2018, 01:07 AM
And then the mommy said you need to sleep now.

SpursDynasty85
05-15-2018, 10:13 AM
:lmao Wow just wow. I can understand wanting Lebron to play for the Spurs but you are pretty delusional to believe he would change as a person by being on the Spurs.

Never assumed he would change. I feel like Lebron has been hyped and chosen by a marketing giant since he was a kid. Deep down he is a good guy, everyone will say that. It his marketing team that drives everything he does on camera. Plus Lebron has done a lot of good that DRob would be proud about as well. Just look it up.

RD2191
05-15-2018, 10:27 AM
I don't think LeBron has it in him to leave the cavs again. What reason does he have to leave? He's already in the conversation for GOAT player and pretty much has a trip to the Finals guaranteed every season.

BSfromTX
05-15-2018, 11:41 AM
I don't think LeBron has it in him to leave the cavs again. What reason does he have to leave? He's already in the conversation for GOAT player and pretty much has a trip to the Finals guaranteed every season.

I agree, however I think he would jump at the opportunity to beat GSW if it presented itself

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 02:41 PM

So the world will make fun of a front office that was good enough to land Lebron :lol? Also, if Lebron is here that means the guys you mentioned will not be :lol

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 02:44 PM

There are a few reasons:

1. He legit hates Dan Gilbert. He turned the fans on Gilbert too and Lebron delivered on his promise to bring a title to CLE. Fans already have said they don’t care if he leaves and all the blame will be on Gilbert. So he’s covered on that front.

2. His supporting cast outside of Love is medicore to bad and they are cap-strapped with their only asset being that BKY pick. They can add, but they are DAMN limited in their ability to add to the squad it appears.

3. He can still go somewhere in the East (PHI, etc..) and have the same trips to the ECF/Finals guaranteed

exstatic
05-15-2018, 02:51 PM

No one thought he would leave the first time. I agree with the points that DPG made, and will add one more. His cast in CLE is aging out and falling apart. I think his automatic trips to the Finals are at an end. It's not to say that he can't take CLE to the Finals, but it's not a mortal lock like it has been most of the last decade. Boston and Philly are legit threats, and Boston may take them out this year.

clambake
05-15-2018, 03:14 PM
i guess he doesn't give a shit about the fans. how are spur fans supposed to get excited about the draft, trades, or free agency with this hanging in the wind?

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Dan Gilbert isn't a factor. If the Cavs were in a good position to win he would stay with the Cavs. They are not in a good position though and that's why he will leave. I expect him to go to Philly. They have the space and assets to move around to create a much better contender. He has always jumped on the golden opportunity to be a title threat. That's not going to change this summer.

Chillen
05-15-2018, 05:21 PM
If he really wants an almost guaranteed ring not GSW related sign with the Celtics for a low end 1 year deal. I know won't ever happen because of Irving being there but if they can somehow put their differences aside with that roster and coach I don't see anyone beating them even GSW if healthy.

I agree though I see Philly as the favorite, 2nd Houston and 3rd Spurs. it's the East they have pieces and it's a challenge and it's not that far from Ohio.

SpursDynasty85
05-15-2018, 06:10 PM
If he really wants an almost guaranteed ring not GSW related sign with the Celtics for a low end 1 year deal. I know won't ever happen because of Irving being there but if they can somehow put their differences aside with that roster and coach I don't see anyone beating them even GSW if healthy.

I agree though I see Philly as the favorite, 2nd Houston and 3rd Spurs. it's the East they have pieces and it's a challenge and it's not that far from Ohio.

Disagree. Why is LA not at the top. Dont they have room to sign both PG and Lebron this offseason? Those two plus the young Lakers looks awfully good too.

ace3g
05-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Well if the Celtics sweep the Cavs...

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 10:17 PM
Disagree. Why is LA not at the top. Dont they have room to sign both PG and Lebron this offseason? Those two plus the young Lakers looks awfully good too.

Bruh, they won 31 games. Yes, adding PG/Lebron helps but they aren’t good. You aren’t beating SA with Kawhi or GS by adding PG/Lebron to LA.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 10:18 PM
Dan Gilbert isn't a factor. If the Cavs were in a good position to win he would stay with the Cavs. They are not in a good position though and that's why he will leave. I expect him to go to Philly. They have the space and assets to move around to create a much better contender. He has always jumped on the golden opportunity to be a title threat. That's not going to change this summer.

Dan Gilbert is a major factor in the context of Bron winning the PR battle.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Damn it would be sick if this pushed Lebron to SA. :lol It’s not happening and I know it but can’t help it.

spurs10
05-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Damn it would be sick if this pushed Lebron to SA. :lol It’s not happening and I know it but can’t help it. :lol Yes it’s unlikely, but I’m guessing it might have crossed his mind in the last hour.

gambit1990
05-15-2018, 10:37 PM
it would be likely if kawhi was healthy.
spurs would've been favorites.

maybe philly would be up there.

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 10:52 PM
Dan Gilbert is a major factor in the context of Bron winning the PR battle.

Yeah, that's true but LeBron simply won't stay with a team without championship potential. He's not sticking around for this type of embarrassment for years to come. That pr is an extra bonus for his image though.

TheGreatYacht
05-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Close this thread. It's embarrassing...

Hornetstalk.com might as well have one as well.

Down Under
05-15-2018, 11:00 PM
The only chance he would have to knock off GS would be to join Kawhi or AD. He needs another top 10 player & there aren't any others who could dominate without the ball in their hands (Harden, Westbrook, Giannis, Simmons who's probably not top 10). Those are the only 2 who play D also.

alpha_HaZE
05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Can we trade LA+Pau for Lebron?

Uriel
05-16-2018, 12:32 AM
FWIW, I tried putting LeBron on the Spurs in 2K (while taking out Gasol, Gay, Green, and Parker, which is who the front office will need to get rid of to make the numbers work). And that catapulted the Spurs to #2 in overall team rating, just behind the Warriors (and ahead of the Rockets).

In terms of on-floor simulations, Leonard and James were able to co-exist peacefully and share ballhandling and scoring duties. But the biggest loser was Aldridge, who suffered from a lack of touches.

Uriel
05-16-2018, 12:41 AM
ProjectSpurs has a good article summarizing the Spurs' cap situation and what moves they would need to make to free up the cap space for a max offer.

Here's an excerpt:

If the Spurs’ wanted to open max space this off-season, the easiest path would be trading Pau Gasol to a team with the cap space to absorb his contract. The Spurs’ would most likely need to include one or multiple draft picks and a young, talented player, such as Dejounte Murray, for the other team to accept absorbing a $16.8 million dollar contract. Trading Gasol and Murray to shed space next off-season would free San Antonio’s cap space up to $35,950,136, after accounting for roster charges and assuming Ginobili retires and the Spurs’ stretch his contract.
https://projectspurs.com/2018/01/18/the-spurs-current-cap-situation/

spurs10
05-16-2018, 01:30 AM
ProjectSpurs has a good article summarizing the Spurs' cap situation and what moves they would need to make to free up the cap space for a max offer.

Here's an excerpt:

https://projectspurs.com/2018/01/18/the-spurs-current-cap-situation/ From January fwiw.

SpursDynasty85
05-16-2018, 07:00 AM
Bruh, they won 31 games. Yes, adding PG/Lebron helps but they aren’t good. You aren’t beating SA with Kawhi or GS by adding PG/Lebron to LA.

31 games in the west and for a young team isn't too bad. Add him and pg. Trade young assets for 3rd star you have a formidable team in the best basketball market on the planet and one where his legacy could grow even more. Seems to check all the boxes. Philly's market and franchise just dont seem as appealing as the Lakers if I'm looking at what Lebron's camp is looking at but Philly and Houston is definitely up there too.

I think he leaves the Cavs looking at how the roster is shaking out. It sucks for Cleveland because they always do everything they can to appease him and will have very little flexibility now.

This offseason is going to be interesting.

TheGreatYacht
05-16-2018, 10:19 AM
National media and bronsexuals melting down because 2 starters combined for 3pts on 1-11 shooting :lol

Wait until Lebron comes here and they realize Delonte and G-League do that every game :lmao

BatManu20
05-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Philly or Houston for Lebron imo.

SpursDynasty85
05-16-2018, 12:04 PM
From January fwiw.

That Gasol Contract :bang

tbdog
05-16-2018, 07:56 PM
That Gasol Contract :bang

Interesting thing about that 'bad' contract is how it can actually help the Spurs get a trade for Lebron. Spurs can actually obtain 125% of the salary they send out. So fast forward to free agency, Lebron meets spurs and says I want to join but want my 33mil. Spurs would have hard a time creating 33mil in cap space. Would require a lot of waiving and salary dumping and would leave the Spurs thin. However, Lebron can request the Cavs to trade him to the Spurs. If Green accepts his opt-in, Spurs can trade Green and Gasol which equal 26mil, and that fits into the 125% rule. Why the Cavs do that? Well, they essentially get 2 expiring contracts, add two second round picks or first, and they get something in return for Lebron bailing. The cavs could dump Green for contending team for a second pick, like the sixers who have cap to absorb. The cavs then could use those picks to drop Tristain/Smith/Hill to restart a mini rebuild and get under the luxury tax. This is a better option than just losing Lebron for nothing and have no extra picks to attached to get out of their bloated contracts.

I think there was a reason why the Spurs offered Gasol that contract. It was like they were unable to guarantee that he will be with them for the 18/19 season. So as an incentive here is an extra 6mil. Gasol probably gets bought out if Spurs to add cash considerations to the lebron trade. Gasol then can play out his last years with his brother at the Grizzlies for a small contract. I have always maintained that the contract wasn't a bad one. I always visioned the spurs using his contract to trade this offseason. It is essentially an expiring contract.

Uriel
05-16-2018, 10:38 PM
Philly or Houston for Lebron imo.
That seems to be the consensus among NBA fans, with San Antonio at #3.

But I don't see how Houston can maneuver to open up the cap space to sign LeBron, short of a sign and trade. And Cleveland would never agree to that. As for Philly... it's possible, but he has a better shot at a ring in San Antonio.

TheGreatYacht
05-17-2018, 06:06 AM
That seems to be the consensus among NBA fans, with San Antonio at #3.

But I don't see how Houston can maneuver to open up the cap space to sign LeBron, short of a sign and trade. And Cleveland would never agree to that. As for Philly... it's possible, but he has a better shot at a ring in San Antonio.
Houston can clear space easily. Lebron is a free agent. Whatever the Cavs want doesn't matter one tiny bit.

Also, core of Embiid, Simmons, & Lebron >>> Aldridge, Anderson, Lebron

JuegaBonito
05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Have you seen how much money they gotta pay Ryan Anderson the next 2 years ?

venitian navigator
05-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Houston can clear space easily. Lebron is a free agent. Whatever the Cavs want doesn't matter one tiny bit.

Lbj comes to sa only if kiwi stays...so the core would be Lbj - Lma and Kiwi...

exstatic
05-17-2018, 09:57 AM

CP3 looks awful. He has some kind of Achilles issue, and was basically limping up and down the floor last night. He's also due a big payday north of $30M this summer. I personally wouldn't give it to him, and I don't see Bron/bin Harden as a great combo.

SpursDynasty85
05-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Interesting thing about that 'bad' contract is how it can actually help the Spurs get a trade for Lebron. Spurs can actually obtain 125% of the salary they send out. So fast forward to free agency, Lebron meets spurs and says I want to join but want my 33mil. Spurs would have hard a time creating 33mil in cap space. Would require a lot of waiving and salary dumping and would leave the Spurs thin. However, Lebron can request the Cavs to trade him to the Spurs. If Green accepts his opt-in, Spurs can trade Green and Gasol which equal 26mil, and that fits into the 125% rule. Why the Cavs do that? Well, they essentially get 2 expiring contracts, add two second round picks or first, and they get something in return for Lebron bailing. The cavs could dump Green for contending team for a second pick, like the sixers who have cap to absorb. The cavs then could use those picks to drop Tristain/Smith/Hill to restart a mini rebuild and get under the luxury tax. This is a better option than just losing Lebron for nothing and have no extra picks to attached to get out of their bloated contracts.

I think there was a reason why the Spurs offered Gasol that contract. It was like they were unable to guarantee that he will be with them for the 18/19 season. So as an incentive here is an extra 6mil. Gasol probably gets bought out if Spurs to add cash considerations to the lebron trade. Gasol then can play out his last years with his brother at the Grizzlies for a small contract. I have always maintained that the contract wasn't a bad one. I always visioned the spurs using his contract to trade this offseason. It is essentially an expiring contract.

That's one way to look at it but it was still a bad contract. I would've much preferred the cap room and flexibility to sign free agents and deal our left over assets. Gasol + Aldridge is a failed experiment because Aldridge is a 5 in today's NBA and Gasol can't gaurd the pick and roll anymore.

tholdren
05-18-2018, 04:59 PM
i have posted 27k times and am not a loser

duncan2k5
05-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Lebron will be on the spurs next year... It is between spurs and sixes... Trust me

Joseph Kony
05-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Lebron will be on the spurs next year... It is between spurs and sixes... Trust me

Sixers make sense but how do you figure the Spurs have a legit shot? I just don't see it. Philly seems like the way more attractive and logical situation for Lebron if he jumps ship.

Spurtacular
05-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Tbh, I give Lebron more of a chance of joining the Spurs than I did two weeks ago. Too much youth and speed in the east. Lebron either has to join one of them or move west.

Uriel
05-20-2018, 08:19 PM
What makes you so confident he would pick San Antonio over Philadelphia?

Uriel
05-20-2018, 08:20 PM

How exactly would Houston clear cap space?

Killakobe81
05-21-2018, 09:32 AM

why would Danny Green agree to that?!

spurraider21
05-21-2018, 10:02 AM
i'm coming up with 32.33, repeating of course, percentage of acquisition

DPG21920
05-21-2018, 10:47 AM
How exactly would Houston clear cap space?

TGY is just making stuff up. HOU is in a very tough spot. With no cap holds and just the fully guaranteed deals, they are at 78M in salaries.

Obviously though, the idea would be to re-sign CP3 so his cap hold would be there and it would put them well over 100M+ in “salaries”.

They would have to find a taker for both Eric Gordon & Ryan Anderson whose contract is infinitely worse than Pau/Mills. Ryan Anderson has 2 years left, fully guaranteed at over 20M per year. Eric Gordon’s deal is virtually identical to Mills but he would no doubt be easier to move.

So if HOU could trade Ryan AND Eric for little to no money back and renounce most of their other free agents they could keep CP3’s cap hold along with Harden and have enough to sign Lebron to a max deal.

But that is not “easy” by any stretch.

DPG21920
05-21-2018, 10:56 AM
If both Danny and Rudy opt out, SA is in a much better/easier spot to clear a “Lebron Max” then HOU is. If those two opt out, SA is in control and would really only need to trade Pau/Mills since they could erase the cap holds for all other free agents.

Killakobe81
05-21-2018, 11:23 AM
If both Danny and Rudy opt out, SA is in a much better/easier spot to clear a “Lebron Max” then HOU is. If those two opt out, SA is in control and would really only need to trade Pau/Mills since they could erase the cap holds for all other free agents.

This. Also not sure Philly would be an ideal fit for Bron either. Sure they have/can create cap space but they most likely lose reddick and more to do so and even with bron that team will need shooters.
IF KL is healthy and engaged of curse SA makes sense but I doubt he is going to the 210.

cd98
05-21-2018, 11:49 AM

I can't see LeBron, Harden, and Paul playing on the same team. At least not how the Rockets play. Just doing a one person, ball dominant play seems like there will be too many cooks and only one kitchen. Now, if the NBA starts allowing three basketballs to be used in a game, then yes.

Dex
05-21-2018, 11:51 AM
i'm coming up with 32.33, repeating of course, percentage of acquisition

Goddamit, Leroy.

DPG21920
05-21-2018, 01:10 PM
I can easily see Lebron fitting with Harden/CP3 since CP3 has proven he can be fine with a ball dominant guard in Harden. It worked out really well for HOU (not against GS, but ya).

I think Lebron would eat into Harden’s workload but I think both Harden and Bron need that and they would figure it out. The issue is HOU has a very difficult path to clearing max cap space and would likely need Bron and CP3 to both agree to much, much less than their full max deals to make it work even IF they could trade Ryan Anderson/Eric Gordon.

BSfromTX
05-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Pringles rockets are fools gold

DPG21920
05-21-2018, 01:35 PM
They are a really good team and if KD had not joined, this HOU team might have been good enough to take down what was still a stacked GS team with Curry/Klay/Dray and role players.

John B
05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
I don’t see LeBron playing in that D’Antoni’s chucking 3’s system and hopefully they outscore Dubs.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-21-2018, 01:53 PM
They are a really good team and if KD had not joined, this HOU team might have been good enough to take down what was still a stacked GS team with Curry/Klay/Dray and role players.

Wrong, teams that dont play defense and have Mike 'antoni as coach dont win titles. See 2007 Pheonix Suns.

DPG21920
05-21-2018, 02:08 PM
They were ranked in the top 10 in defense.

r0drig0lac
05-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Wrong, teams that dont play defense and have Mike 'antoni as coach dont win titles. See 2007 Pheonix Suns.

?

Spurs 4 The Win
05-21-2018, 02:24 PM
They were ranked in the top 10 in defense.

You think the Rockets play defense? I dont give a fuck about regular season statistics. Look at their defense, Harden is standing and getting smoked. They are getting picked apart. And they play dumbass 3 point chuck offense.

cd98
05-21-2018, 02:31 PM
I can easily see Lebron fitting with Harden/CP3 since CP3 has proven he can be fine with a ball dominant guard in Harden. It worked out really well for HOU (not against GS, but ya).

I think Lebron would eat into Harden’s workload but I think both Harden and Bron need that and they would figure it out. The issue is HOU has a very difficult path to clearing max cap space and would likely need Bron and CP3 to both agree to much, much less than their full max deals to make it work even IF they could trade Ryan Anderson/Eric Gordon.

Harden has the ball in his hands almost 100% of the time when he is in the game. It's not until Harden is on the bench that Paul really has the ball in his hands. He's accepted that role, but LeBron won't. You'd have to decide who is the alpha dog, Harden or James. It's not that it couldn't work, it's just that Harden seems like he wants to be the MVP and the man on the team, but if LeBron is there, then no way would Harden be the man. Would he accept that? No one questions Harden over Chris Paul. But add LeBron to the mix and that changes things.

r0drig0lac
05-21-2018, 02:31 PM
You think the Rockets play defense? I dont give a fuck about regular season statistics. Look at their defense, Harden is standing and getting smoked. They are getting picked apart. And they play dumbass 3 point chuck offense.

they play better defense than 26 or 27 teams for sure, this gsw team at its best would make 98% of all teams in nba's history look bad

cd98
05-21-2018, 02:37 PM
they play better defense than 26 or 27 teams for sure, this gsw team at its best would make 98% of all teams in nba's history look bad

Houston has good defenders, but they don't have someone that can guard Durant and Harden is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen on any level of basketball and it boggles my mind that he is that bad as he should at least be as good as a 40 year old Manu. The way Harden surrenders on defense, you'd think it was him and not Tony that was from France.

Arcadian
05-21-2018, 02:37 PM
I don't know.

Phenomanul
05-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Give me the '99 or the '05 Spurs.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-21-2018, 02:48 PM

The 2014 Spurs would beat this Golden State team easily. Our 2017 Spurs were in position to beat GS last year without homecourt and that team cant hold a candle to the 2014 Spurs.

FYI, Pheonix 07, a terrible defensive team, was #13 in defense in 2007. Your argument is shit. Ironically, the Phoenix 2007 Suns had a better defensive rating than this years Houston team.

John B
05-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Spurs 2003 with DRob/Timmy would destroy both these teams, with or without KD. Heck I’m not a Laker fan, but the diesel Shaq would go through that Gaymond defense. I hate that the NBA games got reduced to how many 3’s a team can chuck. Anyone claims Houston plays defense is nuts. I grew up watching Rambis getting close lined, Jordan beefing because he’s gonna get hurt by Laimbeer/Mahorn. Harden, CP3, Curry and KD foulbait on 3’s? Gimme a break. I stopped watching once Spurs got eliminated. I’m just curious where LeBron would go.

r0drig0lac
05-21-2018, 03:34 PM
The 2014 Spurs would beat this Golden State team easily. Our 2017 Spurs were in position to beat GS last year without homecourt and that team cant hold a candle to the 2014 Spurs.

FYI, Pheonix 07, a terrible defensive team, was #13 in defense in 2007. Your argument is shit. Ironically, the Phoenix 2007 Suns had a better defensive rating than this years Houston team.

my argument is shit? coming from someone who thinks that some team would win "easily" gsw? nice

r0drig0lac
05-21-2018, 03:35 PM

I would bet on the 2005 spurs for sure, and I believe that the towers of 99 would have good odds

Clipper Nation
05-21-2018, 03:36 PM
The Warriors would steamroll both of those teams, and that's not even an insult. The Warriors are just too OP.

BSfromTX
05-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Nash did a much better job with dantonis offense... nash always pushed the pace while Harden walks it up...

That’s why this rockets team will lose in five MAYBE 6. If it goes seven or they win, I will eat crow, but dantonis system is severely flawed and he is hell bent to win his way.... so the only way they win is if the players take it upon themselves to play defense

Spurs 4 The Win
05-21-2018, 04:13 PM
I would bet on the 2005 spurs for sure, and I believe that the towers of 99 would have good odds

14 Spurs team were the best Spurs team imo and the only one that can beat this Warriors team. I do think 99 Spurs could make it interesting but I think the lack of offensive firepower would do them in.

tbdog
05-21-2018, 04:21 PM
why would Danny Green agree to that?!

To get 10mil

cd98
05-21-2018, 04:21 PM
The Warriors would steamroll both of those teams, and that's not even an insult. The Warriors are just too OP.

Eh, I think the 99 or 05 Spurs could've beaten GSW, but it would have been tough. GSW's advantage with its small ball lineup is being able to use Green against the current crop of NBA bigs. There are only a handful that could sort of punish him on the block and still guard perimeter players on switches. In '99, the Spurs could play both Robinson and Duncan to punish GS inside while handling switches on the perimeter. That said, the Warriors would still have match up headache Durant and Curry could easily hide on AJ. Back then you could put your hands on guards and the bigs had more protection, so the rules would've favored San Antonio's offense over GSW.

'05 probably goes to the Warriors, especially because Duncan wasn't 100%. I think Manu is better than Thompson and Parker would carve up Curry. Bowen would be an adequate defender on Durant and you can never discount him Pachulaing him. But ultimately, I don't know that the '05 Spurs could score with GSW and I don't think our defense would've been good enough. We won that year because we played a team in the finals that made us look like the GSW by comparison.

I'd certainly pick the '99 and '05 teams over any of the current NBA teams to beat the Warriors in today's game.

Phenomanul
05-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Eh, I think the 99 or 05 Spurs could've beaten GSW, but it would have been tough. GSW's advantage with its small ball lineup is being able to use Green against the current crop of NBA bigs. There are only a handful that could sort of punish him on the block and still guard perimeter players on switches. In '99, the Spurs could play both Robinson and Duncan to punish GS inside while handling switches on the perimeter. That said, the Warriors would still have match up headache Durant and Curry could easily hide on AJ. Back then you could put your hands on guards and the bigs had more protection, so the rules would've favored San Antonio's offense over GSW.

'05 probably goes to the Warriors, especially because Duncan wasn't 100%. I think Manu is better than Thompson and Parker would carve up Curry. Bowen would be an adequate defender on Durant and you can never discount him Pachulaing him. But ultimately, I don't know that the '05 Spurs could score with GSW and I don't think our defense would've been good enough. We won that year because we played a team in the finals that made us look like the GSW by comparison.

I'd certainly pick the '99 and '05 teams over any of the current NBA teams to beat the Warriors in today's game.

The 2003 - 2007 Spurs' defenses (adding to the 1999 defense) were historically great. There's no way Draymond would be able to bully Duncan, even on one ankle - he barely could guard him in that 2013 series despite the fact that Duncan was already playing with a bum knee. Anyways, people sleep on just how dynamic Manu and Parker were in 2005.

Chillen
05-21-2018, 06:36 PM

I'd like to see how the Warriors would fare without a top 3 league player joining them. Spurs did not have Kobe, Dirk or LeBron hop on board in 2005 which is what has happened with Warriors (Durant). That being said that 2005 Spurs team I could see push Warriors with KD to 7 games, not sure who would win but they would make those Warriorettes earn it.

BSfromTX
05-21-2018, 11:13 PM

’99 team- today’s rules? Yes. Old rules? Mmmmmm, me thinks Ellie would make half the team cry. Duncan on green and S. ****** on Durant with David playing clean up... Avery would be exposed either set of rules though

’05 team destroys GSW. Who in the world guards Duncan? Bowen makes Durant beg to go back to OKC and Manu picks them apart. Curry has to defend prime Parker

Uriel
05-22-2018, 12:09 AM
If both Danny and Rudy opt out, SA is in a much better/easier spot to clear a “Lebron Max” then HOU is. If those two opt out, SA is in control and would really only need to trade Pau/Mills since they could erase the cap holds for all other free agents.Right. And reports have already come out saying both Danny and Rudy would do just that. Do you think we can find viable trading partners willing to take on Pau / Mills' contracts?

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Right. And reports have already come out saying both Danny and Rudy would do just that. Do you think we can find viable trading partners willing to take on Pau / Mills' contracts?

I think Mills would not be an issue; Pau could be done but it would likely require giving up the 18th pick in order to do so. Nothing is impossible and if Lebron truly wants to come to SA they will make it happen even if it cost a lot to dump those deals.

David Stern
05-22-2018, 12:07 PM
I think Mills would not be an issue; Pau could be done but it would likely require giving up the 18th pick in order to do so. Nothing is impossible and if Lebron truly wants to come to SA they will make it happen even if it cost a lot to dump those deals.

Where does Lebron play with Kawhi? PF? What about Aldridge? How about Milutinov’s role? The other issue is we’ll have 2 aging sidekicks next to Kawhi. How much longer can we expect a high level from Lebron? He’ll be 34 next year.

duncan2k5
05-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Where does Lebron play with Kawhi? PF? What about Aldridge? How about Milutinov’s role? The other issue is we’ll have 2 aging sidekicks next to Kawhi. How much longer can we expect a high level from Lebron? He’ll be 34 next year.

Kawhi can play SG

duncan2k5
05-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Kawhi can play SG

Our big lineup with lebron at SF and Kawhi at SG would dominate the league

ducks
05-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Our big lineup with lebron at SF and Kawhi at SG would dominate the league

not with both injured

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 12:51 PM

None of that is a major concern as SA with Kawhi is trying to win now. LMA would play center, Bron PF, Kawhi SF but that’s just designated position.

Also Lebron will probably do what he always does and sign short term deal with options so long term is not a big issue. Not enough to pass on this at least.

spurs10
05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
After such a tough year it would be poetic justice to see something incredible happen for the Spurs. Seeing LeBron play next to Kawhi would be just the thing. Maybe a few folks will sicken on watching GSW cakewalk to another 'ship and decide to take them down.

The NBA needs something to give after Durant's move. Yesterday I read a really lame article on how unselfish Durant is for joining GSW. It was something his publicist must have cooked up because I'm fairly certain that that writer is the only asshole who sees it that way. Nary a mention that he joined a 73 win team for the easiest path to winning a ring.

Dex
05-22-2018, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I hate to say it, but these Warriors are better than any team that the Spurs faced during their runs.

I'd love to see the imaginary matchup...but Dubs probably win as currently constructed.

Mugen
05-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Len Bias has a better chance of playing on the Spurs next year than LeBron tbh.

David Stern
05-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I hate to say it, but these Warriors are better than any team that the Spurs faced during their runs.

I'd love to see the imaginary matchup...but Dubs probably win as currently constructed.

I just don’t see it. Those Spurs teams had mental toughness. They played in a few game 7’s. Played in several pressure situations. The Warriors have relied on other teams misfortunes (injuries), blowouts, and have shown the ability to crumble under real adversity (2016 vs Cavs, last year vs Spurs until Zaza injured Kawhi). They would punch the Warriors in the mouth repeatedly and the Warriors would get flustered. Duncan would destroy that frontcourt badly. Curry would be a non-factor with Bowen on him. Draymond would get abused by Duncan and I could see Horry getting in his head. The Warriors are a fantastic team, but punch them in the mouth and have a team like what those Spurs teams had, and they’d get exposed.

Uriel
05-22-2018, 07:57 PM
But what about the timing, though? Isn't the draft before free agency? We would have to know beforehand that LeBron would be willing to come to San Antonio before dumping Pau along with that pick, which of course, is impossible.

More to the point, ESPN's analysis says we would only need to dump Pau (not Mills) assuming Green and Gay opt out and we say goodbye to Parker.

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 08:08 PM
But what about the timing, though? Isn't the draft before free agency? We would have to know beforehand that LeBron would be willing to come to San Antonio before dumping Pau along with that pick, which of course, is impossible.

More to the point, ESPN's analysis says we would only need to dump Pau (not Mills) assuming Green and Gay opt out and we say goodbye to Parker.

I haven’t done the exact math but I am operating under 2 assumptions: Lebron wants the full max he can get and won’t take a penny less & will have a good pulse on Lebron heading into free agency.

I don’t think if SA gets rid of all their free agents and Danny/Rudy opt out that trading Pau gets them to Lebron’s max. It may be very close and it may not take trading Mills to get there, but there wouldn’t be many other choices and I doubt SA would want to trade younger players.

But even if SA doesn’t know by the time the draft rolls around about Lebron, they can trade future picks which would be more than enough. Trust me, if/when Lebron says “yes” SA will have no trouble off loading Pau and Mills if needed IMO.

Also, depending on Kawhi and what SA wants to do SA may very well look to dump Pau regardless so they have max cap space to rebuild around Kawhi or without him.

It’s definitely more likely that they don’t do anything like that before they get commitments but I can see them doing that regardless so they have a lot of cap space heading into free agency.

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 08:46 PM
So I did the math (using the capulator):

If Danny & Rudy opt out and are renounced
If all free agents are renounced (Tony Parker, Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes, Davis Bertans, Hilliard, Costello)
If BP3 is waived (non-guaranteed deal)
If SA defers Milutinov to the following year
If SA trades Pau + 2019 first to a team like ATL for nothing back salary wise

SA will have Kawhi, LMA, Mills, Manu, Joff, White & Murray under contract and will be at 69M in salaries including the charge for the 18th pick this year and cap holds for roster spots.

The salary cap is 101M, so 101M - 69M = 32M in cap space.

Lebron’s max is like 35.5M so SA would be about 3.5M short.

So what ESPN said was not meant to be fully accurate; it was just a high level example of the type of moves SA would have to make.

So Lebron could take less so SA doesn’t have to move other assets.
SA could trade the 2018 pick in the Pau deal vs 2019 and get another 2M in cap space and get close to max.

But if Lebron wants every penny, then SA would have to either trade the 2018 pick in the Pau deal instead of 2019 and then move either Mills, Murray, White or Joff (or if Joff unexpectedly declines his player option, just doing everything above but trading 2018 first instead of 2019 would get SA to full max).

The biggest “hinge” is Danny & Rudy. If they opt out, the path becomes far easier. If they dont then it’s much tougher.

Uriel
05-22-2018, 10:03 PM
So I did the math (using the capulator):

If Danny & Rudy opt out and are renounced
If all free agents are renounced (Tony Parker, Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes, Davis Bertans, Hilliard, Costello)
If BP3 is waived (non-guaranteed deal)
If SA defers Milutinov to the following year
If SA trades Pau + 2019 first to a team like ATL for nothing back salary wise

SA will have Kawhi, LMA, Mills, Manu, Joff, White & Murray under contract and will be at 69M in salaries including the charge for the 18th pick this year and cap holds for roster spots.

The salary cap is 101M, so 101M - 69M = 32M in cap space.

Lebron’s max is like 35.5M so SA would be about 3.5M short.

So what ESPN said was not meant to be fully accurate; it was just a high level example of the type of moves SA would have to make.

So Lebron could take less so SA doesn’t have to move other assets.
SA could trade the 2018 pick in the Pau deal vs 2019 and get another 2M in cap space and get close to max.

But if Lebron wants every penny, then SA would have to either trade the 2018 pick in the Pau deal instead of 2019 and then move either Mills, Murray, White or Joff (or if Joff unexpectedly declines his player option, just doing everything above but trading 2018 first instead of 2019 would get SA to full max).

The biggest “hinge” is Danny & Rudy. If they opt out, the path becomes far easier. If they dont then it’s much tougher.
Thanks a lot for running the math! This is really helpful.

All reports suggest Gay and Green will opt out, so I don't think that will be an issue.

ESPN is also reporting that the Spurs will extend qualifying offers to Anderson, Forbes, and Bertans. Does that mean their cap holds will eat into our cap space? But even then, we can renounce them later if LeBron says yes, right? And if we do, would we be able to sign them again after?

I doubt the Spurs trade the 2018 pick, since they won't give up such a high pick for nothing if they don't have assurances from LeBron. I think it's more likely that they attach the 2019 pick to dump Pau's contract.

So to get to the full max, given the scenario you outlined, we would indeed have to move Mills since I doubt we'll be willing to part with our younger players. On the bright side, that should give us enough room to offer LeBron the full max and use the space left over to bring in Milutinov and other free agents. Then fill out the rest of the roster with minimum players.

So our roster could be like this:

PG: Murray, White, Forbes
SG: Leonard, Ginobili, FA filler
SF: James, 18th pick / FA filler, FA filler
PF: Aldridge, Lauvergne, FA filler
C: Milutinov, 18th pick / FA filler, FA filler

David Stern
05-22-2018, 10:49 PM

David Stern
05-22-2018, 10:52 PM

:rolleyes What a horrible written comment fron such a knowledgable Spurs fan. Oh look...another high pressure situation and the Warriors shit the bed. This team SUCKS at handling REAL adversity. Luckily Houston didn’t outchoke them, but go kill yourself for putting this team above those spurs teams, faggot.

pad300
05-22-2018, 11:06 PM
All reports suggest Gay and Green will opt out, so I don't think that will be an issue.

What reports? I haven't seen anything about either of them...

DAF86
05-22-2018, 11:07 PM
What makes the most sense for Lebron is to tell Ainge that if he trades Irving the fuck away for Kawhi, he signs with them.

Lebron, Kawhi, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Stevens.

Rozier, Smart, Hayward, Morris, Baynes off the bench.

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 11:10 PM
What makes the most sense for Lebron is to tell Ainge that if he trades Irving the fuck away for Kawhi, he signs with them.

Lebron, Kawhi, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Stevens.

Rozier, Smart, Hayward, Morris, Baynes off the bench.

Not possible. Trading Kawhi for Kyrie is possible, but they don’t have any cap space to sign Lebron. The only way that Lebron and Kawhi end up in BOS is if Danny trades for both.

DAF86
05-22-2018, 11:11 PM
Not possible. Trading Kawhi for Kyrie is possible, but they don’t have any cap space to sign Lebron. The only way that Lebron and Kawhi end up in BOS is if Danny trades for both.

Lebron for Hayward. Done.

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 11:13 PM
Thanks a lot for running the math! This is really helpful.

ESPN is also reporting that the Spurs will extend qualifying offers to Anderson, Forbes, and Bertans. Does that mean their cap holds will eat into our cap space? But even then, we can renounce them later if LeBron says yes, right? And if we do, would we be able to sign them again after?

That is correct. Most teams extend the QO, but that can be taken away as soon as SA needed to. But the cap holds do eat into the cap space until they formally withdraw the QO and then renounce them. That doesn’t stop SA from re-signing them but they would only have their cap space and any exceptions to do so which limits them after signing Bron.

I doubt the Spurs trade the 2018 pick, since they won't give up such a high pick for nothing if they don't have assurances from LeBron. I think it's more likely that they attach the 2019 pick to dump Pau's contract.

Totally possible and I agree; that’s why I used the 2019 1st rounder as the pick traded. But I can see SA wanting to trade Pau regardless to change things up. But also reasons why keeping him and not dumping your 18th pick makes sense in scenarios depending on how things with Kawhi shape up.

So to get to the full max, given the scenario you outlined, we would indeed have to move Mills since I doubt we'll be willing to part with our younger players. On the bright side, that should give us enough room to offer LeBron the full max and use the space left over to bring in Milutinov and other free agents. Then fill out the rest of the roster with minimum players.

So our roster could be like this:

PG: Murray, White, Forbes
SG: Leonard, Ginobili, FA filler
PF: Aldridge, Lauvergne, FA filler

Trading Mills makes it so you can keep the young guys and have some cap space left over (like 7M) to sign more players. Definitely the “best” path, but also not necessarily mandatory if you want max cap space in these scenarios

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 11:14 PM
Lebron for Hayward. Done.

For sure, was just saying they can’t have that team you outlined because they have to trade for Kawhi and Bron.

Uriel
05-22-2018, 11:15 PM
What reports? I haven't seen anything about either of them...
There are reports from ESPN and the Express-News in which they hinted at their interest of hitting free agency. Neither has yet to announce a formal decision, but that seems to be the most likely outcome.

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 11:19 PM
I don’t know; I think it’s likely for Rudy, but less likely for Danny. Who knows though. But a lot of people have opted-in already because free agency market doesn’t seem great.

Uriel
05-22-2018, 11:24 PM
That is correct. Most teams extend the QO, but that can be taken away as soon as SA needed to. But the cap holds do eat into the cap space until they formally withdraw the QO and then renounce them. That doesn’t stop SA from re-signing them but they would only have their cap space and any exceptions to do so which limits them after signing Bron.

Totally possible and I agree; that’s why I used the 2019 1st rounder as the pick traded. But I can see SA wanting to trade Pau regardless to change things up. But also reasons why keeping him and not dumping your 18th pick makes sense in scenarios depending on how things with Kawhi shape up.

Trading Mills makes it so you can keep the young guys and have some cap space left over (like 7M) to sign more players. Definitely the “best” path, but also not necessarily mandatory if you want max cap space in these scenarios
Okay. So if we have 7M left over, we could hopefully divide that between Milutinov and one of Forbes and Bertans. Maybe we take Bertans since we lack bigs and then later re-sign Forbes for the minimum. Maybe Parker comes back for the minimum too since it's his best shot at a championship. Anderson probably walks though.

Then just fill out the rest of the roster with minimum players. So we would have:

PG: Murray, Parker, White
SG: Leonard, Ginobili, Forbes
PF: Aldridge, Bertans, FA filler

DPG21920
05-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Best case scenario is that Lebron says yes to SA and then thinks that taking 32M vs 35.5M is worth it to keep the 18th pick and Mills.

The lineup that will play the most/close games is likely:

Murray
Mills
Kawhi
Lebron
LMA

DAF86
05-23-2018, 12:04 AM
Best case scenario is that Lebron says yes to SA and then thinks that taking 32M vs 35.5M is worth it to keep the 18th pick and Mills.

The lineup that will play the most/close games is likely:

Murray
Mills
Kawhi
Lebron
LMA

Murray needs some major improvements if he wants to finish games next season. Mills just isn't clsoing material, no matter how much I joke about it.

I want White to get a chance to prove how good he is next season.

Uriel
05-23-2018, 11:26 PM
Gets likelier and likelier with every Cleveland loss... :stirpot:

Spurtacular
05-23-2018, 11:42 PM
I'm like the Spurs chances more with each passing day; but I'm sure I'm being overly optimistic. It just seems Lebron needs a 1A like Kawhi, tbh. And the East is getting younger and faster; Lebron may want to bail.

SpursBig3s
05-24-2018, 12:29 PM
None of that is a major concern as SA with Kawhi is trying to win now. LMA would play center, Bron PF, Kawhi SF but that’s just designated position.

Also Lebron will probably do what he always does and sign short term deal with options so long term is not a big issue. Not enough to pass on this at least.

We would have to surround a Lebron/Kawhi/LMA led team with shooters galore

Big Empty
05-25-2018, 06:23 AM
If the Rockets pull this off against the Warriors i have to imagine that the Rockets are out of the LeBron sweepstakes. Only leaves a tiny handfull of teams assuming Cleveland doesnt make any major moves

NameLess Scrub
05-25-2018, 07:22 AM
After such a tough year it would be poetic justice to see something incredible happen for the Spurs. Seeing LeBron play next to Kawhi would be just the thing. Maybe a few folks will sicken on watching GSW cakewalk to another 'ship and decide to take them down.

The NBA needs something to give after Durant's move. Yesterday I read a really lame article on how unselfish Durant is for joining GSW. It was something his publicist must have cooked up because I'm fairly certain that that writer is the only asshole who sees it that way. Nary a mention that he joined a 73 win team for the easiest path to winning a ring.

Someone did the same for LeBron when he superteamed in Miami. Just classic siding with the stars.

Btw nice going with this thread, considering how unlikely it still is LeBron will join the Spurs for more than a couple of compliments and winks :lol

tbdog
05-25-2018, 07:29 AM
We would have to surround a Lebron/Kawhi/LMA led team with shooters galore

Yes. Forbes will be resigned.

Uriel
05-25-2018, 08:25 AM
We should be cheering for Houston to beat Golden State. If the Rockets win the championship, LeBron will never go there. That leaves San Antonio as his best destination for winning a championship.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-25-2018, 09:08 AM
We should be cheering for Houston to beat Golden State. If the Rockets win the championship, LeBron will never go there. That leaves San Antonio as his best destination for winning a championship.

True. A Boston-Houston Finals would be good for the Spurs chances. And I don’t give the east much hope in this year’s Finals.

cd98
05-25-2018, 09:21 AM
LeBron is not coming to SA. If we can't keep Kawhi and LMA happy, how are we going to do that with Lebron?

Phenomanul
05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
LeBron is not coming to SA. If we can't keep Kawhi and LMA happy, how are we going to do that with Lebron?

Provided Kawhi is healthy the answer to that question is "winning". Winning will do that.

duncan2k5
05-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Provided Kawhi is healthy the answer to that question is "winning". Winning will do that.

Exactly... It's my theory that wherever lebron goes, the coach will be elite... He is tired of having crap coaches whose only gameplan is depending on him... That's why I think SA will he the spot... Good organization... Best coach of all time... O e of the only teams that can legit beat golden state and Houston even without him... Philly is a team that will flame out in the playoffs... Simply won't be ready until a couple years... By that time he will be 36...Sa is the best spot...

cd98
05-25-2018, 09:54 AM

We don't even know if Kawhi wants to be here. Doesn't seem like from the way he's acting. Why wouldn't James go to Phili or Boston or somewhere else where the players are dedicated to the franchise and want to be there?

Phenomanul
05-25-2018, 09:57 AM
We don't even know if Kawhi wants to be here. Doesn't seem like from the way he's acting. Why wouldn't James go to Phili or Boston or somewhere else where the players are dedicated to the franchise and want to be there?

The potential to form a true big three under Pop is as alluring an option. James wanting to play alongside Kawhi could certainly tip Kawhi's own decision towards staying.

cd98
05-25-2018, 10:51 AM
The potential to form a true big three under Pop is as alluring an option. James wanting to play alongside Kawhi could certainly tip Kawhi's own decision towards staying.

It is alluring...to Spurs fans. But it doesn't mean it's alluring to LeBron. Besides, if LeBron wants to play with Kawhi, a big "if" given that Kawhi just sat out the entire year with a weird injury that may or may not degenerative and that some doctors cleared him to play and others didn't. That said, "if" LeBron wants to play with Kawhi, he just tells him to demand a trade to Phili (which has the best package that a team could likely offer) and Philly has the money to sign LeBron and pay Kawhi and keep the core of good players that would likely make them close to unbeatable (assuming Kawhi is healthy, which again, is an big "if").

Or he could wait until Kawhi demands a trade to LA or wherever. The point is, LeBron doesn't have to go to SA and probably has no desire to go to SA. And who knows if Pop will even coach next year, and if he does, will he like it or be invested in it? Too many variables.

CGD
05-25-2018, 11:27 AM
For this to happen, perfection would be if Danny and Gay opt-in, and Lebron does a CP3. Between those two, Pau, and Paul’s non-guaranteed deal the Spurs can send over effectively 36 million in expiring money (Pau’s last year is stretchable or can be be flipped again by CLE to a team needing cap relief). Spurs can send over 18 or better yet their 2019 pick to sweeten pot.

A Leonard, James, and LMA front court must have strong shooting in the backcourt. Mills would need to be kept and they’d be in desperate need of a sharp shooting SG (KCP with the full MLE?)

DAF86
05-25-2018, 12:09 PM
He's not joining GS. If the Rockets knock out the Warriors and win it all, he's not joining them either. If Boston knocks him out, he can't join them either.

That leaves only the Sixers or Spurs, if he's real about contending. And he would be an awful fit with Simmons, tbh.

I guess he could go to the Lakers with Paul George, but that team would need a couple years to contend, and he can't afford the luxury of wasting time, tbh.

CGD
05-25-2018, 12:12 PM
He's not joining GS. If the Rockets knock out the Warriors and win it all, he's not joining them either. If Boston knocks him out, he can't join them either.

That leaves only the Sixers or Spurs, if he's real about contending, tbh.

I guess he could go to the Lakers with Paul George, but that team would need a couple years to contend, and he can't afford the luxury of wasting time, tbh.

You assume he really wants another chip. He’s got three already, and LA could be a fun place to play and live while being competitive enough to put on a good show (which is all LA people care about anyway). More importantly it will set him up for life after b-ball with all his diverse interests

DAF86
05-25-2018, 12:15 PM
You assume he really wants another chip. He’s got three already, and LA could be a fun place to play and live while being competitive enough to put on a good show (which is all LA people care about anyway). More importantly it will set him up for life after b-ball with all his diverse interests

Yes, I do.

That's all he talks about and I trully believe him. He has the GOAT chance wide ass open, if he goes somewhere where he can win 3 or 4 more titles many folks will have him over MJ.

coachmac87
05-25-2018, 12:16 PM

That leaves only the Sixers or Spurs, if he's real about contending. And he would be an awful fit with Simmons, tbh.

Before the Kawhi drama pretty much every media talking head said Spurs would be the best fit..

Then “drama” leaked and Sixers won 16 games and they all of sudden became the “favorite”. Best case scenario for the Spurs is for the Rockets to beat the Cavs for title..

The entire offseason revolves around Kawhi/LeBron..Windhorst wasn’t lying when he said this would be the case a month or two ago.

Stay tuned

DAF86
05-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Chinook, come tell me if these scenarios are legally possible:

-Green opts out and signs a longer deal for less money per year (let's say 5 mpy for the next 4 seasons, with a player option).
- Same with Gay (5 mpy for the next three seasons).
-Gasol gets cut or traded for cap space.
-Mills gets trade to the Sixers for Bayless.
-Tony resigns for the minimum.
-Bertans gives the Spurs a discount.
-Anderson is let go.

I think that would open enough cap space to sign Lebron and maybe Milutinovic.

Then you have:

Starting lineup

PG-White (if given the chance, he will rock alongside Lebron and Kawhi)
SG-Kawhi
SF-Lebron
PF-Bertans
C-Aldridge

Bench

PG-Murray
SG-Manu
SF-Green
PF-Gay
C-Milutinovic

Third unit

PG-Tony
SG-Paul
SF-18th pick/Blossomgame/Hilliard
PF-18th pick/Costello/Blossomgame
C-Lauvergne

DAF86
05-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Before the Kawhi drama pretty much every media talking head said Spurs would be the best fit..

Then “drama” leaked and Sixers won 16 games and they all of sudden became the “favorite”. Best case scenario for the Spurs is for the Rockets to beat the Cavs for title..

The entire offseason revolves around Kawhi/LeBron..Windhorst wasn’t lying when he said this would be the case a month or two ago.

Stay tuned

That leaves the chance of Lebron joining Boston, tbh.

Best scenario is Rockets beating Celtics in the finals.

coachmac87
05-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Uhhhh no that’s not going to happen

DAF86
05-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Uhhhh no that’s not going to happen

How the fuck can you be so sure? Both teams are one win away from the finals. :lol

If anything, the Celtics beating the Cavs seems more plausible than the Rockets beating the Warriors. :lol

EDIT: Or you mean Lebron joining the Celtics? that, to me, makes the most sense for Lebron, if he's real about contending. More even than the Spurs.

spurraider21
05-25-2018, 12:33 PM
i cant see pop starting white and bertans... 2 guys he doesnt trust as far as he can throw

Chinook
05-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Chinook, come tell me if these scenarios are legally possible:

-Green opts out and signs a longer deal for less money per year (let's say 5 mpy for the next 4 seasons, with a player option).
- Same with Gay (5 mpy for the next three seasons).
-Gasol gets cut or traded for cap space.
-Mills gets trade to the Sixers for Bayless.
-Tony resigns for the minimum.
-Bertans gives the Spurs a discount.
-Anderson is let go.

I think that would open enough cap space to sign Lebron and maybe Milutinovic.

Then you have:

Starting lineup

PG-White (if given the chance, he will rock alongside Lebron and Kawhi)
SG-Kawhi
SF-Lebron
PF-Bertans
C-Aldridge

Bench

PG-Murray
SG-Manu
SF-Green
PF-Gay
C-Milutinovic

Third unit

PG-Tony
SG-Paul
SF-18th pick/Blossomgame/Hilliard
PF-18th pick/Costello/Blossomgame
C-Lauvergne

Bertans doesn't need to take a discount. It also makes more sense to give one of Green/Gay to take the room exception for a year then sign for more. Or let one or both go. I want to say that even with all that, it's still not enough for Nikola. You also didn't say what happens to Bayless.

Best-case would be to trade Murray, 18 Patty and Pau for Lebron and keep Bird rights and the MLE for everyone else.

FvckMavs
05-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Bertans doesn't need to take a discount. It also makes more sense to give one of Green/Gay to take the room exception for a year then sign for more. Or let one or both go. I want to say that even with all that, it's still not enough for Nikola. You also didn't say what happens to Bayless.

Best-case would be to trade Murray, 18 Patty and Pau for Lebron and keep Bird rights and the MLE for everyone else.

Patty has 36m/3yrs left. CLE will not take his contract. They probably take one of Green or Gay if they opt in.

pad300
05-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Some Cap math. Assuming that we are looking at a CP3 type trade - Lebron opts in and is traded, how much salary do we need to send back?
data From https://hoopshype.com/salaries/

Lebron's Salary (18/19) : $35,607,968

Spurs can take back salaries no more than 125% +$ 100k of those they send out in a trade. Therefore the Spurs must send out a minimum of $28406375

Assuming Pau goes to CLE, that leaves another $11,606,375 of salary to fill in...

The notional starting salary for a #18 pick is $1,966,800.

Possible combinations : a) Patty + Whomever, b) Rudy (assuming he picks up his option) + #18 pick (assuming we pick for the cavs, then the pick counts for capspace) + Whomever , c) Danny + (Lauvergne or White)

We would of course end up including some non-cap assets (future draft picks, rights to players, cash).

coachmac87
05-25-2018, 01:18 PM
How the fuck can you be so sure? Both teams are one win away from the finals. :lol

If anything, the Celtics beating the Cavs seems more plausible than the Rockets beating the Warriors. :lol

EDIT: Or you mean Lebron joining the Celtics? that, to me, makes the most sense for Lebron, if he's real about contending. More even than the Spurs.

What do Celtics give up for LeBron??

You really think he asks Kyrie for forgiveness and becomes his teammate again?

Celtics aren’t in the picture and they haven’t been mentioned as an option all year due to the reasons I just stated..

Chinook
05-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Patty has 36m/3yrs left. CLE will not take his contract. They probably take one of Green or Gay if they opt in.

They might for 18 and Murray. Mills isn't a bad player by any means. But yeah, swapping Green for Patty and a 2019 first for 18 probably works well enough. Mills, Leonard James a combo-forward at 18 and Aldridge is a great lineup.

Chinook
05-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Some Cap math. Assuming that we are looking at a CP3 type trade - Lebron opts in and is traded, how much salary do we need to send back?
data From https://hoopshype.com/salaries/

Lebron's Salary (18/19) : $35,607,968

Spurs can take back salaries no more than 125% +$ 100k of those they send out in a trade. Therefore the Spurs must send out a minimum of $28406375

Assuming Pau goes to CLE, that leaves another $11,606,375 of salary to fill in...

The notional starting salary for a #18 pick is $1,966,800.

Possible combinations : a) Patty + Whomever, b) Rudy (assuming he picks up his option) + #18 pick (assuming we pick for the cavs, then the pick counts for capspace) + Whomever , c) Danny + (Lauvergne or White)

We would of course end up including some non-cap assets (future draft picks, rights to players, cash).

They can use his 2018 salary if they do it before July.

FvckMavs
05-25-2018, 02:01 PM
They might for 18 and Murray. Mills isn't a bad player by any means. But yeah, swapping Green for Patty and a 2019 first for 18 probably works well enough. Mills, Leonard James a combo-forward at 18 and Aldridge is a great lineup.

Not sure if Murray and 18 is enough to make CLE eat Patty's 36m and Pau's 23m. They are not contenders any longer once Lebron leaves and obviously don't want to take back contracts that put them way above the tax threshold.

pad300
05-25-2018, 02:15 PM
They can use his 2018 salary if they do it before July.

Ok, that would allow them to count Lebron as $33,285,709 in salary, and only send back $26,548,568.

Further, if I understand correctly, various players would have had to make opt in/out decisions by 24 June.

DAF86
05-25-2018, 02:21 PM
What do Celtics give up for LeBron??

Hayward

You really think he asks Kyrie for forgiveness and becomes his teammate again?

Lebron just tells Ainge to trade Kyrie the fuck out (*coff, for Kawhi, coff*). Cold blooded Ainge does that in a split second.

Celtics aren’t in the picture and they haven’t been mentioned as an option all year due to the reasons I just stated..

I know, but that doesn't mean they aren't the best option by far.

Chinook
05-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Ok, that would allow them to count Lebron as $33,285,709 in salary, and only send back $26,548,568.

Further, if I understand correctly, various players would have had to make opt in/out decisions by 24 June.

Yeah. I don't know if SA would have the heart to trade Danny for Lebron and keep Leonard given that Danny's been sucking up to both of those guys his whole career. If it's at all possible to move Mills instead, I think they do it, even if it's a third team getting him. Then add either Joff (if he doesn't opt out) or guarantee some or all of Paul's second year and to make up the necessary ballast to get this done.

Chinook
05-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Not sure if Murray and 18 is enough to make CLE eat Patty's 36m and Pau's 23m. They are not contenders any longer once Lebron leaves and obviously don't want to take back contracts that put them way above the tax threshold.

They'd save significant money by swapping out James' $35 Million for like $27 Million in salary when you factor in cap savings. Then buyout/stretching Hill should be plenty to get them under the tax.

Phenomanul
05-25-2018, 02:25 PM

This scenario (LeBron missing the NBA Finals for the first time since 2011) also gives any potential negotiation/offer more time to be developed prior to July 1st. James will be angry and if winning and catching MJ in ring count truly is his ultimate motivator - then it will more likely allow the Spurs to make a move ":pop: sooner rather than later". I'm positive that being forced to watch the NBA Finals from home for the first time since forever will be a nagging thorn-on-the-side to him - maybe enough to push him towards, Pop, Kawhi, LMA and Co. On the Spurs side this may help add a sense of urgency to Kawhi's contract situation, and facilitate a quicker resolution than if the Spurs had to wait it out til the end of the NBA Finals to survey any potential options involving LeBron.

duncan2k5
05-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Green just said Kawhi told him he wants to stay in SA

cd98
05-25-2018, 02:34 PM

He said he "thinks" Kawhi wants to stay. Kawhi last spoke on the subject on March 7, before the meeting with the teammates. After the meeting, he left town and did not comeback until after the Spurs were eliminated. I wouldn't put too much stock in what Danny said. If he knew Kawhi wanted to be here with a strong desire to re-sign, like say Durant has in GS, then that's one thing. But Green was a soft "I think he wants to be in San Antonio."

Phenomanul
05-25-2018, 02:35 PM

I will see Green during his upcoming "skills camp" here in Corpus Christi. I'm sure he will be thrilled at having to field any questions concerning the Kawhi situation. That said, if this is true I would be ecstatic... I would be more than willing to forget this horrendous season and move on.

pad300
05-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Yeah. I don't know if SA would have the heart to trade Danny for Lebron and keep Leonard given that Danny's been sucking up to both of those guys his whole career. If it's at all possible to move Mills instead, I think they do it, even if it's a third team getting him. Then add either Joff (if he doesn't opt out) or guarantee some or all of Paul's second year and to make up the necessary ballast to get this done.

Yeah, I would expect them to keep Danny if they could (in that scenario), but for example a late June trade would allow them to do Pau, Gay, Lauvergne, Brandon Paul ( + Picks) package just fine...

Chinook
05-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I would expect them to keep Danny if they could (in that scenario), but for example a late June trade would allow them to do Pau, Gay, Lauvergne, Brandon Paul ( + Picks) package just fine...

I don't think Gay would opt in unless Cleveland agreed to buy him out immediately. Then obviously it's a no-brainer.

pad300
05-25-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't think Gay would opt in unless Cleveland agreed to buy him out immediately. Then obviously it's a no-brainer.

That's why it's a late June trade - his option deadline is the 24th (again if I understand correctly). The moratorium starts on July 1, and goes to July 6.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-wizards/when-does-nba-free-agency-begin-important-offseason-dates-wizards-and-nba

Chinook
05-25-2018, 02:53 PM
That's why it's a late June trade - his option deadline is the 24th (again if I understand correctly). The moratorium starts on July 1, and goes to July 6.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-wizards/when-does-nba-free-agency-begin-important-offseason-dates-wizards-and-nba

The draft is on the 21st, so it would have to be agreed to before then. I assume Gay would opt in before the in order to make this trade legal (just like James would), and then it would happen. Then the Cavs could release Gay so he could go to Houston or GS. Keep one of 18 or Murray and drop in the 2019 pick and/or Milutinov instead.

pad300
05-25-2018, 03:21 PM
The draft is on the 21st, so it would have to be agreed to before then. I assume Gay would opt in before the in order to make this trade legal (just like James would), and then it would happen. Then the Cavs could release Gay so he could go to Houston or GS. Keep one of 18 or Murray and drop in the 2019 pick and/or Milutinov instead.

Depends what the trade is:
Pau, Gay, Lauvergne, Brandon Paul, 2019 1st unprotected, 2021 first top 5 protected, 2023 first top 5 protected
would work for example.

That would leave SAS looking like
LMA/Lebron/Kawhi/Green (opt in)/Murray
as a starting line up, and
Manu, Mills, White, #18, #49, Bird Rights to Anderson, Bird rights to Parker, A full MLE, a Biannual, rights to Milutinov...

duncan2k5
05-25-2018, 04:39 PM
He said he "thinks" Kawhi wants to stay. Kawhi last spoke on the subject on March 7, before the meeting with the teammates. After the meeting, he left town and did not comeback until after the Spurs were eliminated. I wouldn't put too much stock in what Danny said. If he knew Kawhi wanted to be here with a strong desire to re-sign, like say Durant has in GS, then that's one thing. But Green was a soft "I think he wants to be in San Antonio."

Don't misrepresent the full content of what he said... He said Kawhi verbally told him he wants to he there... That's MUCH different than him only saying he Think Kawhi wants to be here