:lol Philly
:lol Trust the process
:lol who is in LeBron's way?

DeadlyDynasty
05-08-2018, 11:37 AM
EC has been an embarrassment to the game since Jordan retired

Clipper Nation
05-08-2018, 12:41 PM
LeBron haters during the regular season and first round: "The East is more competitive than it's been in a long time. No way LeBron makes it to the Finals with contenders like the Raptors, Sixers and Celtics standing in his way!"

LeBron haters now: "The East is so weak, it's a disgrace to the league. No way LeBron misses the Finals with pretenders like the Raptors, Sixers and Celtics standing in his way!"

resistanze
05-08-2018, 12:47 PM
LeBron haters during the regular season and first round: "The East is more competitive than it's been in a long time. No way LeBron makes it to the Finals with contenders like the Raptors, Sixers and Celtics standing in his way!"

LeBron haters now: "The East is so weak, it's a disgrace to the league. No way LeBron misses the Finals with pretenders like the Raptors, Sixers and Celtics standing in his way!"

This is true.

MultiTroll
05-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Yes.
And always the "Swap out other star (fake media or real) with LeBron and how would this Cavs team do?"
Frauden with this Cavs roster. :lmao
CPO :lmao
Durbetta :lmao

Killakobe81
05-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Fair point ...

Raven
05-08-2018, 02:34 PM

I don't think anyone considered Philly to be a contender, coming into the season. Also, the competitiveness of the east, has been nuked by the injuries to the Celtics.. but tbf it is even worse in the West.

lefty
05-08-2018, 02:34 PM

daslicer
05-08-2018, 02:40 PM

It had a stretch where it was pretty good from '03-'06 with Pistons,Nets,Heat battling it out.

LkrFan
05-08-2018, 02:49 PM

Please. Who said that dumbass shit - was it Horse (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3) tbh? :lmao

Clipper Nation
05-08-2018, 02:58 PM
:lol We just gonna act like the Sixers weren't the trendy pick to make the Finals last round? I'm pretty sure I even posted in the playoff thread that it was retarded how everyone was picking them when they're too young and not ready yet.

Ghazi
05-08-2018, 02:59 PM
It had a stretch where it was pretty good from '03-'06 with Pistons,Nets,Heat battling it out.

Not really though

daslicer
05-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Not really though

Pistons,Heat won the finals 2 out of the 3 years between '04-'06. I can be honest and say Pistons would have won in '05 had Horry not hit that 3 in game 5.

ambchang
05-08-2018, 03:13 PM
There is no doubt that since 1999, the East is significantly weaker than the West, but still, with what Lebron is doing, you have to wonder if it's the East really being as weak as it is portrayed, or is it Lebron being that ridiculously dominant.

I am sure Lebron won't make 7 or 8 finals straight in the West, but he would most definitely make a few.

HarlemHeat37
05-08-2018, 03:21 PM
I don't know about the 80s or early 90s, but in my lifetime, I've literally never seen a championship team affected by its road to the Finals:lol

This is another one of those basic sports fan beliefs..

daslicer
05-08-2018, 03:24 PM
There is no doubt that since 1999, the East is significantly weaker than the West, but still, with what Lebron is doing, you have to wonder if it's the East really being as weak as it is portrayed, or is it Lebron being that ridiculously dominant.

I am sure Lebron won't make 7 or 8 finals straight in the West, but he would most definitely make a few.

Lebron is definitely an all time great somewhere on the top 10 list. Not anybody could have had the type of run he has in the East but I do believe you can put other top 10 players such as Shaq,Duncan,Magic and they would have been able to go to 7 straight finals in this current Eastern conferences.

StrengthAndHonor
05-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Meh, no well informed fan thought the Sixers and Raptors are going to be a force come playoff time...stop reaching :lol

The Celtics were the only threat to LeStatpad but of course, as luck would have it, their 2 best players are out with injuries, giving Lebron another clear and easy path to the Finals. :lol

Clipper Nation
05-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Meh, no well informed fan thought the Sixers and Raptors are going to be a force come playoff time...stop reaching :lol
That's weird, since you were talking about the Raptors in the Finals like it was a real possibility as recently as March:

I agree. Personally, either the Cavs or Raptors vs Houston would be a great series.

Now it's "nobody thought they were going to be a force come playoff time." Can't have it both ways.

The Celtics were the only threat to LeStatpad
Again, that's weird, since you had the Pacers beating "LeStatpad" in the first round - let alone just being a threat to him:

1st round exit without Kyrie ...:lol

StrengthAndHonor
05-08-2018, 04:13 PM
You misunderstood ^

I wanted to see anyone but Golden State in the Finals. I want to see a decent series and having the Warriors back in that stage really eliminates that.

StrengthAndHonor
05-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Oh and thanks for bumping THAT thread :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272757

lefty
05-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Lol the East wasn't that strong in the 90s

05-08-2018, 04:41 PM

HarlemHeat37
05-08-2018, 04:49 PM
The East was probably better for 3 years(2008-2010) during this time period, but who cares? Even most LeBron fans outside of ESPN don't care about his Finals streak, tbh:lol it actually works against him, since casuals cite his Finals record..

I've never understood why fans care about conference strength, though..it has no effect on the final result..outside of rare occurrences(2011, 2006, 2003), the NBA never has more than 3 contenders, regardless of conference..

This year only has 2 contenders, the Warriors and Rockets..no other teams are in the same universe as them..last season only had 1 legit contender..

LkrFan
05-08-2018, 04:56 PM
That's weird, since you were talking about the Raptors in the Finals like it was a real possibility as recently as March:

Now it's "nobody thought they were going to be a force come playoff time." Can't have it both ways.

Again, that's weird, since you had the Pacers beating "LeStatpad" in the first round - let alone just being a threat to him:

CN chin checking these farmers :lmao

Neo.
05-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Lol the East wasn't that strong in the 90s

this

its funny how people think that reggie, hardway, mourning, mark jackson were some megastars or something

or how about that hawks team that won 56 games with the dynamic trio of steve smith, christian lattener, and mutumbo

truth is every year since the 80s, there has pretty much been 2-3 teams, 4 tops legitimately competing for a championship, and the rest are fodder for those top teams

why do people suddenly care when its lebron's legacy being talked about? stupid, especially since he has beaten west teams in the finals anyways, including the winningest team of all time

Neo.
05-08-2018, 05:14 PM
I've never understood why fans care about conference strength, though..it has no effect on the final result..outside of rare occurrences(2011, 2006, 2003), the NBA never has more than 3 contenders, regardless of conference..

This year only has 2 contenders, the Warriors and Rockets..no other teams are in the same universe as them..last season only had 1 legit contender..

this

who cares if the #5-7 seeds win 50+ games, none of them will win the championship, because one of the top contenders always has and always will. i can't remember there ever being 8 legit title contenders in a single season.

Neo.
05-08-2018, 05:22 PM
since 1980, only once did a team that wasnt a top 3 seed win a championship, which was the rockets. anyone with a brain knew 1) they coasted and 2) were bit by injury bug in the season

and of the few #3 seeds that did win, most of them had a top 2 record, but were #3 because of the division winner technicality, or were tied with the #2 seed record wise but bumped down by tie breaker

87% of the winners were #1 or #2 seeds

JoeTait75
05-08-2018, 07:31 PM
I don't know about the 80s or early 90s, but in my lifetime, I've literally never seen a championship team affected by its road to the Finals:lol

This is another one of those basic sports fan beliefs..

It didn't seem to bother the Show Time Lakers when they were playing 42-win teams in every round out West while Boston was fighting tooth and nail with Philadelphia and Detroit.

BTW people saying the East has been the weaker conference since 1999... the East was the weaker conference before 1999, definitely during MJ's 2nd three-peat and probably during his 1st as well.

Bill_Brasky
05-08-2018, 09:44 PM
All I know is that when I think of an unforgiving gauntlet of endless competition, I think of the expansion era 90's NBA eastern conference.

Caltex2
05-08-2018, 11:30 PM

LOL, the Nets. They wouldn't have made the playoffs the years they made the Finals had they been in the West (based on more tough games, not their actual record). The Pistons took advantage of a Lakers implosion. They were good but wouldn't have come out the West either year either (again, the Lakers imploded). Even the Heat's Finals win was a controversial upset. They were good for what, three years?

daslicer
05-08-2018, 11:38 PM
LOL, the Nets. They wouldn't have made the playoffs the years they made the Finals had they been in the West (based on more tough games, not their actual record). The Pistons took advantage of a Lakers implosion. They were good but wouldn't have come out the West either year either (again, the Lakers imploded). Even the Heat's Finals win was a controversial upset. They were good for what, three years?

Keyword I said battling it out which I meant series like Pistons vs Nets in '04 was pretty entertaining. When I said from '03-06 I was implying the start of the '03-'04 season. TBH Lakers shouldn't have beaten the Spurs in '04 they got lucky with .4 and the Spurs inability to hit open jump shots. So I give the Pistons credit for winning that series. I also felt Pistons should have beaten the Spurs in '05 and were unlucky that Horry hit that 3 in game 5. Pistons were legit in my eyes them and the Spurs are the reasons why the NBA change the defensive rules and completely outlawed hand checking. Heat won in '06 on controversy but then again the Mavs won a few games against the Spurs that year in the playoffs on some bs calls so I felt it evened out. Even with the bad calls in that series Mavs had their chances to win but couldn't they just choked.

Thebesteva
05-09-2018, 12:03 AM
http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/soccer.jpg?w=420&h=316

Caltex2
05-09-2018, 01:54 AM
since 1980, only once did a team that wasnt a top 3 seed win a championship, which was the rockets. anyone with a brain knew 1) they coasted and 2) were bit by injury bug in the season

and of the few #3 seeds that did win, most of them had a top 2 record, but were #3 because of the division winner technicality, or were tied with the #2 seed record wise but bumped down by tie breaker

87% of the winners were #1 or #2 seeds

The Rockets did not coast. They had chemistry issues early on, maybe a little arrogance, a target on their back and honestly, they weren't that good early on. It was still Hakeem and a bunch of role players. Their run shouldn't be diminished. They were better than 47-35 but not too much better.

Spurtacular
05-09-2018, 02:18 AM

It was the weaker conference when Jordan played in the 90's too.

lefty
05-09-2018, 07:45 AM
The main thing I miss from yesterday's NBA is true rivalries tbh

Clipper Nation
05-09-2018, 08:10 AM
It was the weaker conference when Jordan played in the 90's too.
The whole league was weak in the '90s, tbh. It was the Plumber Era.

Neo.
05-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Their run shouldn't be diminished.

who diminished their run? if anything, it was exalted, because they clearly were better than your typical #6 seed

lol sensitive rocketfan

Caltex2
05-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Who said I was being sensitive? I'm saying their run was legit as a lower seeded team. They had championship level experience but weren't for sure better than any team above them. In other words, they didn't just flip a switch, they were extraordinarily lucky that year to get by Utah and Phoenix. They eventually came on but that's different than flipping a switch. If they lose Game 1 in Orlando, they likely lose that series.

Neo.
05-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Who said I was being sensitive? I'm saying their run was legit as a lower seeded team. They had championship level experience but weren't for sure better than any team above them. In other words, they didn't just flip a switch, they were extraordinarily lucky that year to get by Utah and Phoenix. They eventually came on but that's different than flipping a switch. If they lose Game 1 in Orlando, they likely lose that series.

you don't win a championship unless you are legitimately a top 2 or 3 team in the league. its pretty simple. you honestly think that the rockets were the 11th best team in the NBA that year, since they had the 11th best record?

i'd love to see some other instances where an NBA team won a championship that wasnt very obviously one of the best 2 or 3 teams in the league

hitmanyr2k
05-09-2018, 10:18 PM
The Rockets did not coast. They had chemistry issues early on, maybe a little arrogance, a target on their back and honestly, they weren't that good early on. It was still Hakeem and a bunch of role players. Their run shouldn't be diminished. They were better than 47-35 but not too much better.

Acquiring Clyde Drexler in a mid-season trade certainly didn't hurt :lol I'm really surprised no one mentioned it. That trade saved their season since it gave Hakeem a second all-star player to take the pressure off. If that trade doesn't happen I don't think the Rockets win a title that year.

Brunodf
05-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Just to show how bad the EC is, Boston lost their 2 best players and still made the finals, any west playoff team would've beat them...

resistanze
05-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Just to show how bad the EC is, Boston lost their 2 best players and still made the finals, any west playoff team would've beat them...

Last year the Warriors went 12-0 against the Western Conference, and are currently 8-2 (including not having their best player for 5 of those games). Western Conference is garbage as well, people just need to accept there's only 1-2 contenders a year.

Clipper Nation
05-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Brad Stevens would find a way to beat any Western playoff team other than the Warriors and maybe the Rockets with that roster, let's be real now. He's one of the all-time greatest coaches already.

Caltex2
05-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Neo

The Rockets were conclusively the fifth best team in the West that year before the playoffs (they had injuries and only finished a game behind the Lakers) and won each of their Western Conference playoff series by a combined 4 games, having to come back twice. They were clutch but any team could have won it that year.

Caltex2
05-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Last year the Warriors went 12-0 against the Western Conference, and are currently 8-2 (including not having their most valuable player for 5 of those games). Western Conference is garbage as well, people just need to accept there's only 1-2 contenders a year.

Fixed.