PDA

View Full Version : Netflix crime doc, Evil Genius, May 11

SpursforSix
05-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Early reviews say it's great.
Looking forward to it.

This baffling true crime story starts with the grisly death of a pizza man who robs a bank with a bomb around his neck -- and gets weirder from there.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80158319

Darth_Pelican
05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Bend over, I'll show you an Evil Genius

SpursforSix
05-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Bend over, I'll show you an Evil Genius

:lol

SpursforSix
05-12-2018, 09:31 AM
I have one more of these to go. I don't remember the original press at all but apparently it was a pretty big story.
Anyway, it's very good. Just 4 episodes.

Plenty of wtf moments.

And a big, Holy Shit, in the first 20 minutes. Especially if you don't know the story.

chunticakes
05-13-2018, 09:18 AM
They need to make a series about Avante.

leemajors
05-13-2018, 05:20 PM
This show was great.

Reck
05-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Was this as wacky as the Wild Wild Country? That one was pretty good.

Pavlov
05-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Was this as wacky as the Wild Wild Country? That one was pretty good.Yeah, just as packed, very little filler.

SpursforSix
05-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Was this as wacky as the Wild Wild Country? That one was pretty good.

Haven't started that yet. But it's on my list.

The appeal of Evil Genius was how condensed it was. So I could knock it out in a few hours.

Reck
05-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Haven't started that yet. But it's on my list.

The appeal of Evil Genius was how condensed it was. So I could knock it out in a few hours.

Already saw the first 2 episodes. I thought they used up their magic on the first episode. By the end of episode 2 everyone was dead or in jail.

SpursforSix
05-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Already saw the first 2 episodes. I thought they used up their magic on the first episode. By the end of episode 2 everyone was dead or in jail.

It's still got a few revelations. It's just 4 episodes so I'd say it's worth the 1.5 hours to finish. It's not perfect by any means.

Chucho
05-14-2018, 11:37 PM
It gassed on me in the second episode. This is the case that movie with Aziz and that Jew kid from Zombieland took it's plot from.

Avante
05-15-2018, 01:27 AM

Tons of ....

Townes Van Zandt
Kelly Joe Phelps
Gillian Welch
Natalie Merchant
Joan Osborne
Robert Johnson
R.L.Burnside
Honeyboy Edwards
Lousiana Red
Otis Taylor

...in the sound track.

Avante a gambler on a river boat that travels up and down the Mississippi River, the adventures he has with bitches, druggies, derelicts, pimps, religious freaks, deranged gamblers, bad guys, crooked cops. He owns a pet monkey named...Jimmy. Avante deadly with a knife and a brass knucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUIuMLa3KMk

Theme song. Cover of a SKip James classic from 1931.

chunticakes
05-15-2018, 05:56 AM
Tons of ....

Townes Van Zandt
Kelly Joe Phelps
Gillian Welch
Natalie Merchant
Joan Osborne
Robert Johnson
R.L.Burnside
Honeyboy Edwards
Lousiana Red
Otis Taylor

...in the sound track.

Avante a gambler on a river boat that travels up and down the Mississippi River, the adventures he has with bitches, druggies, derelicts, pimps, religious freaks, deranged gamblers, bad guys, crooked cops. He owns a pet monkey named...Jimmy. Avante deadly with a knife and a brass knucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUIuMLa3KMk

Theme song. Cover of a SKip James classic from 1931.

Yep. The most interesting character in the world.

Reck
05-15-2018, 05:47 PM
It's still got a few revelations. It's just 4 episodes so I'd say it's worth the 1.5 hours to finish. It's not perfect by any means.

The show definitely ran out of steam midway through episode 2. Just finished the documentary last night.

The DOJ is a joke. They're so lazy.

Poor good old Brian Wells went from victim to co-conpiractor just because our justice department didn't want to do any leg work or know anything about the case. I felt like the journalist guy did a way better job uncovering stuff.

SpursforSix
05-15-2018, 07:32 PM
The show definitely ran out of steam midway through episode 2. Just finished the documentary last night.

The DOJ is a joke. They're so lazy.

Poor good old Brian Wells went from victim to co-conpiractor just because our justice department didn't want to do any leg work or know anything about the case. I felt like the journalist guy did a way better job uncovering stuff.

Yeah...law enforcement came off looking pretty incompetent. Not even thinking to check out the blue van way earlier.

pgardn
05-16-2018, 07:52 PM
I’m now completely wary of any hoarder.

All of these weirdos lived in piles of crap, wtf?
And highly intelligent? Because they can manipulate vulnerable people...
Bizzare Evil maybe.

I was definitely captivated by the characters.

Xevious
05-16-2018, 09:52 PM
They made an educational short about him in the 60s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387927/

leemajors
05-16-2018, 10:14 PM
I’m now completely wary of any hoarder.

All of these weirdos lived in piles of crap, wtf?
And highly intelligent? Because they can manipulate vulnerable people...
Bizzare Evil maybe.

I was definitely captivated by the characters.

Me too, I never lost interest just because I wanted to see interviews with Marjorie. She was fascinating.

SpursforSix
05-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Me too, I never lost interest just because I wanted to see interviews with Marjorie. She was fascinating.

Yeah...I wish there was more. Alternatively, I would have liked to see more of the correspondence. Even if was rambling babble.

pgardn
05-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Yeah...I wish there was more. Alternatively, I would have liked to see more of the correspondence. Even if was rambling babble.

Typed it out and then wrote over the scavenger hunt. Very weird.

The ATF guy completely remade the bomb and showed all the distracting stuff inside to throw the cops off was a very interesting piece of work. I wanted to hear even more about it. And all the care taken to make the disparate parts untraceable. You could see how that would be possible with these hoarders having so much crap to assemble stuff. More on the scoring of the metal to try to produce schrapnel type stuff. That was a strange fail.

SpursforSix
05-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Typed it out and then wrote over the scavenger hunt. Very weird.

The ATF guy completely remade the bomb and showed all the distracting stuff inside to throw the cops off was a very interesting piece of work. I wanted to hear even more about it. And all the care taken to make the disparate parts untraceable. You could see how that would be possible with these hoarders having so much crap to assemble stuff. More on the scoring of the metal to try to produce schrapnel type stuff. That was a strange fail.

The neck cuff was pretty impressive as well. Seemed like someone would have obvious metal working skills to make that. A little surprised they didn't mention that at all.

pgardn
05-18-2018, 08:11 PM
The neck cuff was pretty impressive as well. Seemed like someone would have obvious metal working skills to make that. A little surprised they didn't mention that at all.

The big “smart” boyfriend talked about cutting up some metal and melting it. But they never tied that in, you are correct. Left that hanging.

Anyways,good pick.

Oh yeah, the guy who picked him as his best man was just lost with his “best friend”. My guess is the poor guy had very few friends who would accept the chore. I never understood how some seemingly nice people are absolutely clueless concerning who they choose as friends. I would have never gotten to know any of those people well enough to make any comment on their character, it would have never reached that point. Bizarre folks.

BD24
05-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Since the hero of the club (SFS) gave it a stamp of approval I'll have to check it out.

Capt Bringdown
05-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Started strong, and then faded for me. Too drawn out. Not enough crazy details, just the filmmaker going back and forth with people who deny things.
Could/should have been edited down to 2 episodes.

Darth_Pelican
06-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Well I watched this, and my thoughts were that while this case was certainly intriguing, calling any of the people involved in this crime a genius is a gigantic stretch. The plan that was conjured up was ridiculous and had a zero percent chance of actually being successful. Did they really think a guy that they strapped a 30 pound bomb around his neck who could barely walk was going to bag $250,000 and make it back to them? :lmao I thought it was funny how we keep hearing how intelligent these people were :lol. They were meth heads who lived in some of the most disgusting homes I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe that they were able to build a bomb that actually worked. And lmao at the job the local Erie police department did on solving this case.

Reck
06-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Well I watched this, and my thoughts were that while this case was certainly intriguing, calling any of the people involved in this crime a genius is a gigantic stretch. The plan that was conjured up was ridiculous and had a zero percent chance of actually being successful. I thought it was funny how we keep hearing how intelligent these people were :lol. They were meth heads who lived in some of the most disgusting homes I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe that they were able to build a bomb that actually worked. And lmao at the job the local Erie police department did on solving this case.

That's the point. The title of this documentary is in essense mocking the crew for calling this woman a "genius."

Darth_Pelican
06-18-2018, 08:52 PM
That's the point. The title of this documentary is in essense mocking the crew for calling this woman a "genius."

I don’t know, even the makers of the documentary seemed to hold these people in such high regard.