PDA

View Full Version : Casey gets COY

lmbebo
05-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Reading comments, a lot of angry celtics fans who are angry that Stevens didn't win it (didn't even get a single vote apparently). They talk about injuries... Kyrie out for end of season (played 60 games, 51 more than Kwahi). Hayward went down 15 mins into the season ...Marcus smart was out for 4 weeks? Still win 55 games...

Great and all, still had Kyrie for most of season. Al Horford. Tatum, Brown?, Rozier (stepping up late). Still a very talented team without Hayward.

Anyways, no mention of Pop for the job he did this year. Didn't get award, didn't expect it. But I'd be upset if he's not top 3. He did an amazing job this year. How many teams/coaches would survive losing a top 3-5 player and MVP candidate from prior year?

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-torontos-dwane-casey-named-coach-year-peers-145033613.html

Edit - Syder and Indiana coach are just as deserving as Pop, IMHO, as well. So 4th is ok ....

K...
05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Regular season award for regular season coaches

SuperCam
05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
what? Making the playoffs by ONE game with a 2nd team all NBA player leading the team is expected, not COTY stuff. Stevens wins more and you try and argue against it by citing fringe all star horford and a bunch of role players and rookies? PATFO suckers new low :lmao

Stevens, Snyder, Casey, Brown, D'antoni and Gentry easily outperform Poop this year.

"top 3" :lol

jyra
05-09-2018, 02:46 PM
What is the NBCA Coach of the Year award?

It isn’t the NBA’s Coach of the Year award, which is voted on by a panel of sportswriters and revealed in June, although Casey is among the favorites for that honor, too. But this award — selected by the league’s 30 head coaches — might be an even better reflection of Casey’s standing within the game.

“The Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award is presented each year to the Head Coach who exemplifies the same high level of integrity and excellence that Michael displayed during his highly successful career,” NBCA executive director David S. Fogel said of his predecessor in the release.
Casey is the second recipient of an award that was established last year by the NBCA. Houston Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni and Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra shared the inaugural honor.

exstatic
05-09-2018, 02:56 PM
COY is somewhat of a curse, and there has been talk that Casey could both COY and be fired for their latest playoff debacle.

lmbebo
05-09-2018, 03:24 PM
what? Making the playoffs by ONE game with a 2nd team all NBA player leading the team is expected, not COTY stuff. Stevens wins more and you try and argue against it by citing fringe all star horford and a bunch of role players and rookies? PATFO suckers new low :lmao

Stevens, Snyder, Casey, Brown, D'antoni and Gentry easily outperform Poop this year.

This was maybe the most adversity the spurs have had in over 20 years. A team built around a player who was too weak to play...if Harden was out, Rockets probably still make the playoffs, might have done as well as the Spurs. They still got more talent that the spurs have (Capella, Paul, Gordon, Anderson). So what if they only made it by 1 game. They still made it. I give a lot of that credit to Pop and LMA.

Horford has been to multiple All-star games (wouldn't call him a fringe all-star ...). Role players - almost every team is made up of "role" players except the Warriors. Rockets got 2 all-star players with "role" players.

I'd say Synder > McMillan > Pop > Gentry > Stevens > Casey > D'antoni

spurraider21
05-09-2018, 03:30 PM
what? Making the playoffs by ONE game with a 2nd team all NBA player leading the team is expected, not COTY stuff.
any time you have 20 mil sidelined, its a tough season

what you're sayin is true if you have a 2nd team all nba player and then a full team surrounding him... making use of all your salary

Brunodf
05-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Just imagine how good this team could've been if they had just an average production from their 20mil/15mil/16mil players in Kawhi/Tony/Gasol

That's half of the cap giving the Spurs 15 ppg

ThomasamohT
05-09-2018, 10:31 PM
pop got some votes for CotY.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23455672/brad-stevens-coach-boston-celtics-downplays-not-receiving-single-vote-peers-coach-year-award

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2018, 10:53 PM

:lol tbh

Once again an MVP candidate (LMA) is disrespected by Poop fluffers as per usual. Crater face actually cost this team more games than he won with his disgusting rotations and hard-on for midget lineups.

How has Nate McMillan never won a COY award?!?! I mean, he made the playoffs numerous times with Aldridge as the #1 option while fighting thru injuries (Roy, Oden, etc)

John B
05-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Stevens not getting a single vote is ridiculous. He is one of the best coaches out there. D’Antoni with Harden and CP3? Who needs coaching? Rivers did not even make the playoffs, granted he had some injuries but tell that to Stevens and Pops. Gentry with Davis putting up 40 points every night. I mean no disrespect to these coaches, except D’Antoni that whiner :lol but clearly Stevens deserves acknowledgement from his colleagues

Arcadian
05-09-2018, 11:31 PM
That's fucking bullshit.

tenbeersbold
05-10-2018, 02:06 AM
In the wake of #metoo and BLM you knew it was gonna be given to a black guy this year lol.
Predictable is predictable per par,tbh et cetera

Chillen
05-10-2018, 04:48 AM
Brad Stevens is the real COTY and did not even get a single vote. Boston has dealt with injurys all season and still made ECF without their two all-star players. They still have a stacked roster but he was the better coach than Casey.

Play Boban
05-10-2018, 05:12 AM
Affirmative action award tbh.

YGWHI
05-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Stevens deserved the award in last two seasons. I'd love to see how Casey or any other coach would look without the two best players of the team for almost a season.

exstatic
05-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Stevens deserved the award in last two seasons. I'd love to see how Casey or any other coach would look without the two best players of the team for almost a season.

Uh, he had Kyrie for almost the whole season. I think they already had their playoff seed wrapped up before he went under the knife.

YGWHI
05-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Uh, he had Kyrie for almost the whole season. I think they already had their playoff seed wrapped up before he went under the knife.

My bad. I read OP talking about Iving's 60 games something...I thought he missed those many games.

Anyway, I still think he deserved the award.

exstatic
05-10-2018, 12:34 PM
My bad. I read OP talking about Iving's 60 games something...I thought he missed those many games.

Anyway, I still think he deserved the award.

He's a really good coach, but his biggest accomplishment has been the playoffs. COY is a regular season award.

Dex
05-10-2018, 12:56 PM
He's a really good coach, but his biggest accomplishment has been the playoffs. COY is a regular season award.

Exactly. Casey is getting flack now because the Raptors got swept by Lebron again, but at the end of the regular season, he was solidly among the top candidates (along with Stevens).

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Stevens would have been my choice, but getting the Raps to the 1 seed was worthy too.

dbestpro
05-10-2018, 01:53 PM
The personality of Pop was a problem this year in one way or another and affected how the players responded to his coaching. This was not one of his better jobs.

exstatic
05-10-2018, 02:05 PM
The personality of Pop was a problem this year in one way or another and affected how the players responded to his coaching. This was not one of his better jobs.

You people are fucking nuts. The ONLY problem the Spurs had was a holdout SF wrecking the season. That's the only factor that changed, the only thing that dropped them from a 60+ win team down to 47.

hater
05-10-2018, 02:21 PM
:lmao swept in round 1

Yes round 1 Wizards dont count :lol

exstatic
05-11-2018, 11:14 AM
COY is somewhat of a curse, and there has been talk that Casey could both COY and be fired for their latest playoff debacle.

And...it happened. Raps fire Casey.

TheGreatYacht
05-11-2018, 11:20 AM
:lol Faggots selling Masai Ujiri's shit just because he's a Muslim immigrant...

Casey sucked, but making him the scapegoat because you maxed out a fat point guard and handed out $64M to a 43yr old African immigrant with no birth certificate smh. That's cold. Never got the hype for this idiot. His best achievement was screaming outside their arena before a playoff game.

$pursDynasty
05-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Fired the same year you win COY is kind of laughable and sad at the same time.

exstatic
05-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Fired the same year you win COY is kind of laughable and sad at the same time.

Denver had Karl as COY and Ujiri as EOY in one season, and Ujiri left for TOR, and Karl wasn't offered a new deal.

The COY has a bad history for continued employment, unless your name is Popovich. It just has never happened this quickly, I don't think.

cjw
05-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Denver had Karl as COY and Ujiri as EOY in one season, and Ujiri left for TOR, and Karl wasn't offered a new deal.

The COY has a bad history for continued employment, unless your name is Popovich. It just has never happened this quickly, I don't think.

Different sport, but Marlins fired Joe Girardi after he won manager of the year.

BatManu20
05-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Aaaaand he’s gone.

NASpurs
05-11-2018, 01:04 PM
:lmao this shit is hilarious

superbigtime
05-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Snyder should have won this. Utah came out of nowhere. He empowered that damn rookie. Really like this Utah squad.

cd98
05-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Aaaaand he’s gone.

Deservedly so. Not even an injury riddled Spurs team missing its HOF coach gave up on a series like those Raptors.

exstatic
05-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Deservedly so. Not even an injury riddled Spurs team missing its HOF coach gave up on a series like those Raptors.

:lol LeBron is living rent free.

edit: Last year in the playoffs, he was supposedly calling out their plays, and suggesting how they should run them.

spurraider21
05-11-2018, 04:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qJa8HxgnA

Chillen
05-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Does the NBA have a coach of the moment award? if not time to consider it. Poor Casey, terrible firing but Raptors badly needed a scapegoat for the sweep to Cavs and it's the head coach.

tholdren
05-11-2018, 07:19 PM
:lol LeBron is living rent free.

edit: Last year in the playoffs, he was supposedly calling out their plays, and suggesting how they should run them.

Lol so what. You play a team 10 times a year every year, guess what... you know the plays. I bet i can call the cavs and rockets and thunder plays 80 percent of the time.

1. Its all iso shit.
2. Its a base offense so there isnt that much action that happens in 48 minutes that is extremely different or new.

Lebrons dumber than shit. If you remember this playoffs he called a to instead of letting the clock expire during an one possession game. NO ONE WITH A HIGH IQ HAS EVER DONE THAT EXCEPT CHRIS WEBBER.