PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker says he's open to joining new team, unsure if he'll remain with Spurs

NASpurs
05-10-2018, 01:51 PM
http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/tony-parker-says-hes-open-to-joining-new-team-unsure-if-hell-remain-with-spurs

"It is not yet sure that I'll stay with the Spurs. I am open to all proposals, I would like to have my entire career in San Antonio.

The sport is a business and we will have to make choices. I had 17 years with the Spurs, I would always be nostalgic but this is not the end of the world if I change my club. I figure two to three years more, if I go somewhere else, I'm 50-50. I do not see myself outside basketball yet I want to stay three more years to do the 20 seasons."

SpursforSix
05-10-2018, 01:53 PM
:hungry::elephant:drunk:clap:clap:corn::danceclub: danceclub:huddle::chestbump:cheer

xtremesteven33
05-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Kawhi pulling the strings. I've been sayin.

spursfan09
05-10-2018, 02:00 PM
I hope he goes to a contender and gets to compete for another championship! He probably sees the writing on the wall. No title for SA for a long time

r0drig0lac
05-10-2018, 02:01 PM
thanks GOD

rjv
05-10-2018, 02:02 PM
not sure parker would get too many offers and he certainly wouldn't get any significant ones.

exstatic
05-10-2018, 02:03 PM
The negotiations with his agent aren't going well, apparently.

exstatic
05-10-2018, 02:03 PM
not sure parker would get too many offers and he certainly wouldn't get any significant ones.

Yeah, I don't see Philly ponying up $15M for him like they did Manu a couple of years ago.

SpursforSix
05-10-2018, 02:04 PM

:pop: Tony, I can resign you for 1 year and $100,000
http://a.espncdn.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3527.jpg I'll take it
:pop: fuck

Russ
05-10-2018, 02:06 PM
He's said it before (like when the Spurs went after Kidd), but he's always stayed.

I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fighter still remains.

Hang in there, Tony.

:flag:

cjw
05-10-2018, 02:07 PM
He can come back at the minimum. That’s all.

Dex
05-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Spurs are pretty much committed to Murray and Mills for the future (barring a trade), so Tony has to see the writing on the wall. They aren't going to throw big money at a third-string point guard, even if he was one of the cornerstones of the franchise.

If another team offers him a bigger payday and more minutes, he just may walk.

Clipper Nation
05-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Porker's getting the loyalty contract for sure now.

SpursforSix
05-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Spurs are pretty much committed to Murray and Mills for the future (barring a trade),

still a nutkick when I see it in black and white

phxspurfan
05-10-2018, 02:11 PM
The Spurs are no longer the Spurs, so I don't see a problem with Tony spending his last couple years getting paid better. Wouldn't hurt his legacy here at all IMO, he's been a rock for us for a long time. As has been mentioned, the Mills deal really fucked up this entire franchise.

Robz4000
05-10-2018, 02:12 PM
The Spurs are no longer the Spurs, so I don't see a problem with Tony spending his last couple years getting paid better. Wouldn't hurt his legacy here at all IMO, he's been a rock for us for a long time. As has been mentioned, the Mills deal really fucked up this entire franchise.

Gasol deal moreso imo.

Dex
05-10-2018, 02:14 PM
still a nutkick when I see it in black and white

:lol No kidding.

Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of teams scrambling to trade for an overpriced, undersized shooting guard who forgot how to shoot.

hater
05-10-2018, 02:20 PM
I hope he goes to a contender and gets to compete for another championship! He probably sees the writing on the wall. No title for SA for a long time

He deserves another ring tbqh

And he will not get it here in SA

I hope he joins the Cavs or Celtics as a mentor tbqh

spursfan09
05-10-2018, 02:23 PM
If he left no hard feelings! It’s over here. You go get yours tony! He’ll have his jersey retired and will always be a spur!

eDizzle20
05-10-2018, 02:29 PM
It’s time to move on from TP.

Spur|n|Austin
05-10-2018, 02:31 PM
He'll get more from another team for the veteran leadership but it won't be much more than the min. and I don't see it being for a contender either.

MultiTroll
05-10-2018, 02:35 PM
He'll get more from another team for the veteran leadership but it won't be much more than the min. and I don't see it being for a contender either.
This.
Ticket sales as to some oldies his name still carries.

BillMc
05-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Exit interview went poorly. I think (someone tell me if I'm wrong) this is the first time Tony has been an FA. He's always signed an extension before, right?

phxspurfan
05-10-2018, 02:39 PM

But his career will continue in a fresh situation where his opinions may be more valuable. He won't be marginalized or feel weird sitting behind a guy with an albatross contract who isn't very good at his job (Mills). And Murray, while young and needing mentorship, is not enough reason to stay. Especially if the Spurs can't offer playing time or a real role, or any money, or if Kawhi and his Camp don't want him on the team

Mugen
05-10-2018, 02:43 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/2ept7eRuyq98s/200.gif

ducks
05-10-2018, 02:44 PM
be interesting to see what happens
he wants to go to the front office
pop might not have been in the best moods during exit interviews

RD2191
05-10-2018, 02:50 PM
But muh loyalty but kawhi :lmao fukin faggots hating on Kawhi when manu and porker have always stated that the nba is a business and you gotta do what's best for you and your family

wildbill2u
05-10-2018, 02:52 PM
He should have played in front of Murray this past season. He knows how to run a team. Murray would have been better coming off the bench for a change of pace against lesser players or tired first stringers.

BillMc
05-10-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm sure Tony, being the youngest of the Big 3, thought he'd be the last to go. But Manu may outlast him because their games are based on different strengths. Manu's game was always going to age better if his body held up.

SAGirl
05-10-2018, 02:59 PM
My guess: the Spurs have offered him a vet minimum contract and he's shopping around for better deals. It is a real possibility that he moves on if he's already spreading the word around that he's open to leaving the Spurs...

Spurs da champs
05-10-2018, 03:00 PM
He's definitely always been the least likeable of the big 3, I'm glad he helped us win chips, but he can kick rocks.

dbestpro
05-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Toronto may be calling.

dabom
05-10-2018, 03:04 PM
He's definitely always been the least likeable of the big 3, I'm glad he helped us win chips, but he can kick rocks.

:lol

SAGirl
05-10-2018, 03:04 PM
The negotiations with his agent aren't going well, apparently.
I thought the same and I am not surprised.

FkLA
05-10-2018, 03:05 PM

In all seriousness though, it would be pretty damn weird to not have Enrique around to hate on.

tmtcsc
05-10-2018, 03:05 PM

:lol Perfect.

ducks
05-10-2018, 03:08 PM

Duncan went to the magic to visit
manu went to Denver
also threaten with sixers

Chillen
05-10-2018, 03:09 PM
At the end of the day the NBA is a business and loyalty only goes so far. Tony deserves to have his jersey hung to the rafters, he was a huge part in helping Spurs win those NBA championships. In a way this is sad but the reality is it could be both sides ready to move on. My gut tells me he will be a Spur next season but also there could be a rift with Leonard and TP and franchise is going to choose Kawhi.

dabom
05-10-2018, 03:12 PM
He already got a loyalty contract 45 mil 3 years and was entirely shit throughout.

The Spurs were already loyal. They shouldn't be taken advantage of though. :lol

Dverde
05-10-2018, 03:13 PM
My guess is the Spurs told him two year contract and he wants three. It would be strange seeing him in a different jersey like Dream as a Raptor.

SpursforSix
05-10-2018, 03:13 PM
At the end of the day the NBA is a business and loyalty only goes so far. Tony deserves to have his jersey hung to the rafters, he was a huge part in helping Spurs win those NBA championships. In a way this is sad but the reality is it could be both sides ready to move on.

Parker had some great years and deserves HOF and having his jersey hung.

But I think we still have at least the same amount of rings if he was never here. As great as he was, I think he was always the most replaceable of the Big Three.

SAGirl
05-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Spurs are pretty much committed to Murray and Mills for the future (barring a trade), so Tony has to see the writing on the wall. They aren't going to throw big money at a third-string point guard, even if he was one of the cornerstones of the franchise.

If another team offers him a bigger payday and more minutes, he just may walk.

It's not just that, since neither Murray, nor Mills is a game changer (hope Murray improves tho)... but it's the fact that they have to keep looking around for younger talent and Pop needs to play those guys to find out what he has. White isn't going to spend another season banished to the G-league. I don't think Pop can guarantee Tony's role in the future and given that, they shouldn't pay him more than the vet min.

Also, I suspect Tony had in mind a 6th man type of contract but he's not getting it... particularly when the Spurs also have very expensive bench players like Gasol, and to a lesser extent Rudy Gay or his replacement if he leaves.

Finally, the Kiwi supermax is going to squeeze everyone else out in the team and the Spurs already spent a lot of the non-Kiwi max on Aldridge, Mills, GAsol, GAy, etc.

spursistan
05-10-2018, 03:22 PM
I love Tony but he can seriously GTFO here. He was massively overpaid in in the entirety of his last contract..

It is high time for Pop/RC to drink from Danny Ainge favorite bottle. :lol:

SAGirl
05-10-2018, 03:23 PM
But his career will continue in a fresh situation where his opinions may be more valuable. He won't be marginalized or feel weird sitting behind a guy with an albatross contract who isn't very good at his job (Mills). And Murray, while young and needing mentorship, is not enough reason to stay. Especially if the Spurs can't offer playing time or a real role, or any money, or if Kawhi and his Camp don't want him on the team

It's possible... since Kiwi bolted to NYC right after the team meeting "led" by Tony... and Tony saying his injury was 100 times worse...

DAF86
05-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Come to reality Tony, you suck now. Take the minimum or GTFO.

ducks
05-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Come to reality Tony, you suck now. Take the minimum or GTFO.

manu refused!

Brazil
05-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Players say the same stuff everytime single time when they are discussing new contract.. nothing new.. you can find the same quote from Parker every contract year..

Brazil
05-10-2018, 03:27 PM
My guess: the Spurs have offered him a vet minimum contract and he's shopping around for better deals. It is a real possibility that he moves on if he's already spreading the word around that he's open to leaving the Spurs...

no

he is doing the same as always, I want to remain a spur but I'm open to play elsewhere..

SAGirl
05-10-2018, 03:29 PM
no

he is doing the same as always, I want to remain a spur but I'm open to play elsewhere..

He has never been a FA b4 tho... I haven't followed the Spurs for the entirety of his career, but he's signed extensions b4... it's not the same.

rjv
05-10-2018, 03:35 PM
the celtics are where they are now because they were willing to get rid of older players and it's a league where the times on the rise are all younger. regardless of how the leonard scenario plays out, TP doesn't fit into any possible scenario other than a minimum salary and an uncertain spot in the rotation.

cd98
05-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Letting him go now is kind of a travesty. Look at the Garnett/Pierce Celtics. Boston decided not to hold on to the guys that got them a title and were able to trade them for assets. Spurs could have traded Tony as early as last year and got some good value for him. But they decided to keep him because he could still play and they are loyal to their franchise stars. Now they are letting him walk for nothing (no, I don't think they could get much for him now). Out of loyalty, I prefer he stay for another year or two, but at a discount. Perhaps he thinks he can get more going elsewhere. I doubt it, but you can never underestimate the stupidity of franchises willing to throw money at a name.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-10-2018, 03:41 PM
Doubtful. Porky is gonna come for another big cash bite this Summer.

SpursforSix
05-10-2018, 03:43 PM
He doesn't need to be a Spur.
But it would be kind of sad to see him being the 3rd PG on another team. Just sitting there at the end of the bench.

DPG21920
05-10-2018, 03:44 PM
But muh loyalty but kawhi :lmao fukin faggots hating on Kawhi when manu and porker have always stated that the nba is a business and you gotta do what's best for you and your family

Are you intentionally dumb or just flat out dumb?

phxspurfan
05-10-2018, 03:44 PM
It's possible... since Kiwi bolted to NYC right after the team meeting "led" by Tony... and Tony saying his injury was 100 times worse...

right...I forgot about all that. That was a huge blowup. Judging by how sensitive Kawhi is, he definitely doesn't want Tony on the team, and Pop wants Kawhi (probably won't come back if Kawhi isn't extended). Tony's as good as gone if Kawhi stays.

prediction then:

Spurs announce Kawhi is getting the SuperMax.

Tony keeps playing the field, and *maybe* gets an offer or two for vet min or just over vet min contracts for shitty clubs like the Kangs, etc.

If Tony doesn't get any offers, he retires.

(0% Tony comes back to the Spurs if Kawhi gets the SuperMax)

DPG21920
05-10-2018, 03:47 PM
TP is a Spurs legend and there are no issues with him pursuing anything outside of SA if a team is willing to pay. We saw SA offer Manu very little, he leveraged a wild offer from PHI to get more. It’s normal and there would be zero bad blood between TP and SA if he did get an offer and left.

He knows he’s due less money and he wants to be with the Spurs and is a Spurs legend. If someone else comes in with a big offer, he’d be foolish not to consider it and he will always be remembered as a Spur and the next 3 years won’t matter if he even plays that long.

cd98
05-10-2018, 03:49 PM
right...I forgot about all that. That was a huge blowup. Judging by how sensitive Kawhi is, he definitely doesn't want Tony on the team, and Pop wants Kawhi (probably won't come back if Kawhi isn't extended). Tony's as good as gone if Kawhi stays.

If Kawhi gets upset by what Tony said to the point he can't play on the same team, then Kawhi is being petty. You should be able to take more heat than that.

John B
05-10-2018, 03:53 PM
They all say that. For sure they’ll sign him back, if any money left but unfortunately not priority.

RD2191
05-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Are you intentionally dumb or just flat out dumb?

Are you short or intentionally short?

DPG21920
05-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Are you short or intentionally short?

That doesn’t make any sense, but does answer my question regarding you :lol

RD2191
05-10-2018, 03:58 PM
That doesn’t make any sense, but does answer my question regarding you :lol

:lmao

rastaspur
05-10-2018, 04:00 PM
He already got a loyalty contract 45 mil 3 years and was entirely shit throughout.

The Spurs were already loyal. They shouldn't be taken advantage of though. :lol

DaBears
05-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Oh yes after the comments he made this season ( that were made epic, thanks to the media ), its fair to say he saw his writing on the wall, that he would not be putting a SPURS uni next season.

Brazil
05-10-2018, 04:01 PM
He has never been a FA b4 tho... I haven't followed the Spurs for the entirety of his career, but he's signed extensions b4... it's not the same.

Yes this is the first time he will be a FA.

Parker has always wanted one thing sign an extension with Spurs before end of his contract so basically one year before the end of his current contract he starts his negociation about extension. During this negociation there is always a time where he declares I want to be a Spurs but I'm open to play for other teams. As he negociates ahead, its his "only" leverage.

This year and last year were different due to his injury, without it he would have tried to sign an extension last year.

At the end the process is the same, you can have a look you will find this statement at least once one year before end of contract, he signed I think 5 extensions since his rookie contract.

gambit1990
05-10-2018, 04:02 PM
https://m.popkey.co/ace710/Vo60V.gif?c=popkey-web&p=popkey&i=happybirthday-events&l=direct&f=.gif

gambit1990
05-10-2018, 04:06 PM

here's to hoping he does leave :toast

DPG21920
05-10-2018, 04:08 PM
But leaving the Spurs isn’t the “issue” with players by fans. TP has given his everything to the Spurs and if he leaves it’s ok. He’s forever a Spurs legend and will always be a Spurs. Sometimes players leave. There is mostly no ill-will.

Kawhi, what he’s apparently done and how he went about things? That is the unforgivable part.

BackHome
05-10-2018, 04:13 PM
I don’t think it doesn’t matter if Kawhi is here or traded. He is going to be behind Murray, White, and Mills no need for him as he will be 15th man barely playing.

gambit1990
05-10-2018, 04:13 PM
i just made this :lol

https://i.imgflip.com/2a1apz.jpg

ernest787
05-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Nothing to see here. This is normal FA speak. Makes no sense for him to say "I won't play anywhere else."

He has to leave the door open to get an offer at which point he can go to the Spur and say "I got X amount on the table, what can you do?"

Simple negotiations here

DPG21920
05-10-2018, 04:17 PM
^ Did you just create a MySpace account too?

DPG21920
05-10-2018, 04:17 PM
I don’t think it’s “just” negotiations. I think if you heard what was said by RC and TP it’s everyone preparing that it might be time to move on and there is nothing wrong with that.

BackHome
05-10-2018, 04:19 PM
I don’t think it doesn’t matter if Kawhi is here or traded. He is going to be behind Murray, White, and Mills no need for him as he will be 15th man barely playing.

RD2191
05-10-2018, 04:24 PM

boutons_deux
05-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Gasol deal moreso imo.

both those deals

Ginobilly
05-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Tp needs to retire imo. He's done! Spurs have kept him too long due to loyalty but its time to move on from him. Imo, the reason manu is still a serviceable player at 40 is because of height, shooting, n passing skills. Tp really relied on his speed and athleticism and never really developed a consistent jumper.

Lakers999
05-10-2018, 04:33 PM
come to the lakers for the vet min TP

RD2191
05-10-2018, 04:34 PM
All the old fucks need to gtfo tbh

TheDoctor
05-10-2018, 04:40 PM
LMAO :lmao

Tony will always gonna be our best penetrator on/off the court tbh.

tmtcsc
05-10-2018, 04:41 PM
At the end of the day the NBA is a business and loyalty only goes so far. Tony deserves to have his jersey hung to the rafters, he was a huge part in helping Spurs win those NBA championships. In a way this is sad but the reality is it could be both sides ready to move on. My gut tells me he will be a Spur next season but also there could be a rift with Leonard and TP and franchise is going to choose Kawhi.

I think there has been a rift with TP's production on the court. He is not an NBA caliber guard anymore and he needs to accept that fact.

lefty
05-10-2018, 04:43 PM
:hungry::elephant:drunk:clap:clap:corn::danceclub: danceclub:huddle::chestbump:cheer

tmtcsc
05-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Sure, why not.

Clipper Nation
05-10-2018, 05:02 PM

TheGreatYacht
05-10-2018, 05:06 PM
I see the Mexicans have infiltrated this thread. Time to call ICE....

TD 21
05-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Similar to the Leonard situation, I'll have to see Parker's not re-signing to believe it; but I also didn't think he'd be demoted last season. And I found this part of one of the post mortem articles from a few weeks ago interesting . . .

But in Year 17, Parker's potential return for 2018-19 hasn't been determined as he becomes a free agent on July 1, when his contract expires. Buford told ESPN.com the Spurs will make a decision on Parker at the appropriate time.

There's also the fact that he was clearly being phased out by the end of last season and the matter of the back court being both terrible and ill-fitting. Being a virtual fringe rotation player, force feed minutes because of who he was and what he means to the franchise, would be unbecoming and an ignominious end to his career.

There's no need to delay the inevitable and carry on this charade for another season, while simultaneously throwing it in the garbage by not upgrading the back court. It's time to have the difficult conversation with him, hope Ginobili retires and Gay opts out and pursue Evans with the MLE (if they go this route, they'll probably pursue Bradley instead).

sasaint
05-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Perfect!

:toast

ducks
05-10-2018, 05:14 PM
you think tp is bad remember when spurs had aj

sasaint
05-10-2018, 05:14 PM
It's not just the money (even vet min); it's the roster spot, too.

Snaq O'Meal
05-10-2018, 05:17 PM

BackHome
05-10-2018, 05:22 PM
I have a feeling Pop and RC are going to be shaking the team up. I don’t see Tony, Green, Joffrey,Paul, comming back next year. If we trade Kawhi then I see at least Gasol or Mills being traded.

rjv
05-10-2018, 05:29 PM

nice.

$pursDynasty
05-10-2018, 05:29 PM
all the Tony hating Manutards are missing a point, do you think there is a chance in hell, Manu returns to play for the Spurs if they kiss Kiwi's backside and force Tony to leave in order for Kiwi to stay? Do you think there is any chance Pop would throw the last two of the big three off of the boat for Kiwi AFTER what he is perceived to have pulled this year? Pop is too close to retiring to pull that move, he would rather say ftw than bow down that way. Now TP might have to take a haircut salary wise but then again after what the Spurs are paying Pau and Patty whose contributions to the franchise combined aren't a quarter of what Parker has done, then maybe not??? I say this teams returns as is unless we can unload Pau and Patty on some foolish franchise.

Nathan89
05-10-2018, 05:32 PM

CapitalEmm
05-10-2018, 05:37 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273520&p=9370568&viewfull=1#post9370568

Called this two weeks ago

ducks
05-10-2018, 05:39 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273520&p=9370568&viewfull=1#post9370568

Called this two weeks ago

nothing is done yet

mo7888
05-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the memories Tony.... now let's move on..

SpurOutofTownFan
05-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Porker's getting the loyalty contract for sure now.

This is most likely scenario

Robz4000
05-10-2018, 06:36 PM
both those deals

:tu

ElNono
05-10-2018, 06:47 PM
He has no real leverage this season, tbh... not really his fault either... not unexpected he would say that...

spurraider21
05-10-2018, 06:56 PM

:lol not bad

Spurtacular
05-10-2018, 07:03 PM

The idea is right. The execution is poor. He's basically looking at the same chick.

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Gasol deal moreso imo.

Gasol was one of the best in the league at protecting the rim last regular season and he shot the three. Also, he is pretty much an expiring contract, since much of 3 three of his deal is not guaranteed. He would be perfect for a team that wants to shred salary.

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him go and paid more somewhere else. Also, he has been a defensive liability for us since '14. I am sure Kawhi would benefit from a guard that can run the pick n roll, play defense and shoot the three. And Tony can do only one of those things. Which is why we went after Kyrie so hard last summer. In retrospect we should have traded for Donovan Mitchell, but since Kawhi happened, no-one wants to trade draft picks with the Spurs.

Spurtacular
05-10-2018, 07:37 PM
This strikes me as odd. PATFO actually sending signals to Tony that they wouldn't mind moving on?

Chris
05-10-2018, 07:39 PM
He deserves Patty Mills money. Make it happen Buford.

tholdren
05-10-2018, 07:57 PM

While they won rings. While they played games. Name another great player who refused to play or even attend games because he wanted to rehab at a union facility. I will wait

tholdren
05-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Gasol was one of the best in the league at protecting the rim last regular season and he shot the three. Also, he is pretty much an expiring contract, since much of 3 three of his deal is not guaranteed. He would be perfect for a team that wants to shred salary.

Lololololololololokolikikol go away

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Lololololololololokolikikol go away

He allowed a 51% Field Goal percentage, right up there with the best;

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8bw425/oc_the_nbas_top_rim_protectors_this_season/

and before you say he defended fewer shots at the rim, remember he also played fewer minutes.

Thank you for being nice :)

davidbowie
05-10-2018, 08:28 PM
he should stay and retire a spur and we should pay him handsomely for all he's done for this franchise

r0drig0lac
05-10-2018, 08:29 PM
He allowed a 51% Field Goal percentage, right up there with the best;

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8bw425/oc_the_nbas_top_rim_protectors_this_season/

and before you say he defended fewer shots at the rim, remember he also played fewer minutes.

Thank you for being nice :)
it was still useless in what really matters in the current nba (pnr defense)

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 08:34 PM
it was still useless in what really matters in the current nba (pnr defense)

Hey, if he could that he would be Rudy Cobert. Given his ability to defend the rim, rebound, shoot the three and distribute the ball. He is great. If you look at the chart, you will see lots and lots bigs getting paid more while doing less.

I agree, that pick n roll defense and also perimeter defense is something a big needs to do in today's nba so I am up for trading him.

If you read, I never said he was one of the best centers, but he is far from the worst contract we have. That was Tony hands down.

gambit1990
05-10-2018, 08:37 PM
i think he's coming back.

what team is in need of a PG who's useless with the ball and useless without it? and for more money than the spurs would offer?

real talk... his offense doesn't make up for his defense...

with pop's wife passing i could imagine something like,

:pop: "you don't break up a family."

HarlemHeat37
05-10-2018, 08:40 PM
I can see a team like Sacramento signing him for a veteran presence(the way they did with Carter and Randolph)..I can't imagine a good team signing him, he's mostly useless and he's a constant injury risk, as well..

Top 12 PG of all-time, salute to a great career..

dbreiden83080
05-10-2018, 08:42 PM
So you want to go someplace else to be a back up? I don’t get it. You are not starting point guard material anymore.

gambit1990
05-10-2018, 08:43 PM
i said in another thread, maybe he can bamboozle jordan or fizdale?

maybe the raptors do a sign and trade for him to help move some money off their books...

you'd think he'd want a contender or big market... boston? maybe lebron would mistakingly vouch for him somewhere...

he should really try to get to boston. or where lebron goes.

HarlemHeat37
05-10-2018, 08:46 PM
i said in another thread, maybe he can bamboozle jordan or fizdale?

maybe the raptors do a sign and trade for him to help move some money off their books...

you'd think he'd want a contender or big market... boston? maybe lebron would mistakingly vouch for him somewhere...

he should really try to get to boston. or where lebron goes.

Why would Brad Stevens want Parker?:lol

FireMicoHalili
05-10-2018, 08:54 PM
$24M/2 years plus an option on the third

gambit1990
05-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Why would Brad Stevens want Parker?:lol
when i mentioned boston i meant that more as a destination tony might want to go to. a contender and/or big market.

Ice009
05-10-2018, 09:03 PM
$24M/2 years plus an option on the third

WHAT??????????? I'd tell Kawhi to leave myself if they give him that.

He's not worth much more than the vet minimum or at the very most, what Manu got paid last season should be the max for him.

Snaq O'Meal
05-10-2018, 09:49 PM

For Parker’s sake, I hope he considers that move. He’ll love the big market and its publicity.

And he can bring Joff along too.

Uriel
05-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Watch Parker re-sign for th minimum once LeBron comes to San Antonio.

ducks
05-10-2018, 10:21 PM
James coming to Sa as likely Clinton be president

Barfunk
05-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Watch Parker re-sign for th minimum once LeBron comes to San Antonio.

Lebron won't consider San Antonio until he is in his 40's unfortunately.

tbdog
05-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Exit interview went poorly. I think (someone tell me if I'm wrong) this is the first time Tony has been an FA. He's always signed an extension before, right?

Yep. After Spurs were knocked out, Parker said he will be back. Now this. This means the Spurs said they are looking at strengthening other areas and cannot commit. Surely a 3rd string pg option is on the table for the min. I cannot imagine Spurs not offering something.

spurraider21
05-10-2018, 10:25 PM
James coming to Sa as likely Clinton be president
clinton was president from 1992-2000

so 100%

tbdog
05-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Isn't it funny that during the 2014 after finals special, Parker said that he will be still playing when Manu and TD retires and it would be an odd feeling. Both Manu and TD indicated that was the case. It might be Manu the last one standing.

tbdog
05-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Similar to the Leonard situation, I'll have to see Parker's not re-signing to believe it; but I also didn't think he'd be demoted last season. And I found this part of one of the post mortem articles from a few weeks ago interesting . . .

But in Year 17, Parker's potential return for 2018-19 hasn't been determined as he becomes a free agent on July 1, when his contract expires. Buford told ESPN.com the Spurs will make a decision on Parker at the appropriate time.

There's also the fact that he was clearly being phased out by the end of last season and the matter of the back court being both terrible and ill-fitting. Being a virtual fringe rotation player, force feed minutes because of who he was and what he means to the franchise, would be unbecoming and an ignominious end to his career.

There's no need to delay the inevitable and carry on this charade for another season, while simultaneously throwing it in the garbage by not upgrading the back court. It's time to have the difficult conversation with him, hope Ginobili retires and Gay opts out and pursue Evans with the MLE (if they go this route, they'll probably pursue Bradley instead).

Interesting. Buford has said in an interview that there have been Spurs players in the past that wanted to continue or rejoin, and after tryouts they told the player that it would be unfair to taint their career by continuing to play and they should retire. Perhaps that is the discussion Bufford has had or have hinted at.

SpurPadre
05-10-2018, 10:49 PM
If you leave San Antonio, TP, go anywhere but Golden State or a Lebron team, tbh. If he had to leave, he may prefer Toronto.

cd021
05-11-2018, 12:23 AM

Sounds like tough talk tbh.

He almost certainly isn't going to go to a bad team that might give him a 1 year contract for decent money as a mentor/ vet type presence.

Other teams that would be considered contenders or at least playoff teams may not be willing or may not be financially able to offer more than the vet minimum.

I doubt that he re-signs for the vet min, or that the Spurs stick to their guns and insist that he signs for $2.4 million. I think they'll meet somewhere in the middle and he re-signs for 2 years, $8 million- more than the vet min, multiple years, and the Spurs don't break the bank to bring him back or see him go to another team.

Em-City
05-11-2018, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him go and paid more somewhere else. Also, he has been a defensive liability for us since '14. I am sure Kawhi would benefit from a guard that can run the pick n roll, play defense and shoot the three. And Tony can do only one of those things. Which is why we went after Kyrie so hard last summer. In retrospect we should have traded for Donovan Mitchell, but since Kawhi happened, no-one wants to trade draft picks with the Spurs.

.... so pretty much an all star.

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2018, 12:36 AM
.... so pretty much an all star.

I like to think of it as an upgrade from 3 and D. Dejounte is a three-point shot away from being that player. Derrick White can run the pick n roll and shoot the three.

kuato
05-11-2018, 06:03 AM
Yes please!

tbdog
05-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Likely Spurs told him they are waiving him so there is no cap hold and therefore can only offer him the min.

raybies
05-11-2018, 06:16 AM

Would love to have Bradley

BillMc
05-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Yep. After Spurs were knocked out, Parker said he will be back. Now this. This means the Spurs said they are looking at strengthening other areas and cannot commit. Surely a 3rd string pg option is on the table for the min. I cannot imagine Spurs not offering something.

Cheers. I agree. If he's willing to take the min and a vastly diminished role. But TP's ego may not allow, especially as he's seen an older Manu maintain a vital role.

Brazil
05-11-2018, 07:36 AM
:lol if he had to sign for another team I hope he signs for the dubs, him grabbing an additional ring would be nice tbh

BSfromTX
05-11-2018, 09:27 AM
I’ve always said, spurs should have worked more in trying to develop Parker’s shooting from three about four years ago. I knew once he would lose his quickness he wouldn’t have much to offer. His passing and playmaking is average at best for a PG

TD 21
05-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Interesting. Buford has said in an interview that there have been Spurs players in the past that wanted to continue or rejoin, and after tryouts they told the player that it would be unfair to taint their career by continuing to play and they should retire. Perhaps that is the discussion Bufford has had or have hinted at.

Yeah, but it would obviously be that much more difficult to do with Parker. I think the compromise will be a 1 year contract, where he essentially has to reprove himself a rotation player to earn a 2 year contract the following off season and reach his stated goal of 20 season.

Would love to have Bradley

Evans would be preferable. A Bradley-Murray back court would be severely lacking in play making. With Mills as the 3rd guard, they'd also still have 2 small (non dynamic) guards in the rotation.

daslicer
05-11-2018, 04:56 PM
I’ve always said, spurs should have worked more in trying to develop Parker’s shooting from three about four years ago. I knew once he would lose his quickness he wouldn’t have much to offer. His passing and playmaking is average at best for a PG

They did try many years ago having Chip England work with him on his jump shot. I'm convinced some guys can't become good shooters.

SpursDynasty85
05-11-2018, 05:08 PM
They did try many years ago having Chip England work with him on his jump shot. I'm convinced some guys can't become good shooters.

Parker's 3 has improved a lot! Of course he wasn't going to become a pure shooter at the 3 at the NBA level at this point in his career. Parker's inability to shoot lately has really been more about his health.

cd98
05-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Parker's 3 has improved a lot! Of course he wasn't going to become a pure shooter at the 3 at the NBA level at this point in his career. Parker's inability to shoot lately has really been more about his health.

It's really his loss of speed. Players can guard him now, especially point guards. He can't get in the lane and create havoc either.

SpursDynasty85
05-11-2018, 05:14 PM
It's really his loss of speed. Players can guard him now, especially point guards. He can't get in the lane and create havoc either.

Yep. Unfortunately it's gray area with Parker. On one hand if a team wants I'm sure he could contribute off the bench but at the same time he is just another veterans who is hanging on too late.

ElNono
05-11-2018, 10:57 PM
http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341cdd0d53ef010536c844f7970b-320wi

BSfromTX
05-11-2018, 11:07 PM
I know they did, and it did improve in the 18-20 ft range, but he was not allowed to shoot threes hardly at all. Pop wanted him getting in the lane which was his ultimate advantage and that made sense.... however had he been given a little more green light I think he could have extended his career a little more

Boomersgold
05-11-2018, 11:09 PM

Mills is being paid almost a third of the max. :lol For the production he gives, he's 100% earned it especially when you look at the other players in the 10-13 mill range for this year. Jeremy Lin, JR Smith, Monta Ellis.

No one's going to say that Tony deserved to play over Mills or Murray. You don't get minutes for what you did 10 years ago. Dude's a third string guard wherever he goes

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-12-2018, 12:29 AM
Tony’s going to have a sad dose of reality when no team is willing to sign him.

tmtcsc
05-12-2018, 12:51 AM
TP joining Dancing with the Stars in 3,2,1....

BillMc
05-12-2018, 01:31 AM

Kind of like David Lee. He opted out and found no one wanted him. And his last season was more productive than Tony's.

Still, wish the man nothing but the best. Want him to retire a Spurs, no matter when that occurs.

Snaq O'Meal
05-12-2018, 01:37 AM

Don’t bet on it. Some team will be stupid enough to bid against itself by offering a handsome multi-year deal at 12:01.

BatManu20
05-12-2018, 01:48 AM
My guess is the Spurs told him two year contract and he wants three. It would be strange seeing him in a different jersey like Dream as a Raptor.

Yep. Dream and Ewing were the weirdest players in different uni’s I ever saw. Just wasn’t right.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/38/files/2015/05/ew.jpg

BatManu20
05-12-2018, 01:50 AM
TP joining Dancing with the Stars in 3,2,1....

:lol wouldn’t be surprised at all, tbh..

007nites
05-12-2018, 02:33 AM
I have a feeling Pop and RC are going to be shaking the team up. I don’t see Tony, Green, Joffrey,Paul, comming back next year. If we trade Kawhi then I see at least Gasol or Mills being traded.

We can only wish but probably not going to happen.

TimDunkem
05-12-2018, 01:31 PM
all the Tony hating Manutards are missing a point, do you think there is a chance in hell, Manu returns to play for the Spurs if they kiss Kiwi's backside and force Tony to leave in order for Kiwi to stay? Do you think there is any chance Pop would throw the last two of the big three off of the boat for Kiwi AFTER what he is perceived to have pulled this year? Pop is too close to retiring to pull that move, he would rather say ftw than bow down that way. Now TP might have to take a haircut salary wise but then again after what the Spurs are paying Pau and Patty whose contributions to the franchise combined aren't a quarter of what Parker has done, then maybe not??? I say this teams returns as is unless we can unload Pau and Patty on some foolish franchise.

Yes. Manu will be back no matter what. He still wants to play, get paid, and Manu knows Pop will oblige him until
MANU decides to call it quits. The Kawhi situation won't come between him and those guaranteed minutes/money.

ElNono
05-12-2018, 04:10 PM
all the Tony hating Manutards are missing a point, do you think there is a chance in hell, Manu returns to play for the Spurs if they kiss Kiwi's backside and force Tony to leave in order for Kiwi to stay?

Hmm... yeah...

Manu is under contract for next season, BTW... the question is whether he wants to play another season or not, he's already getting paid.

ElNono
05-12-2018, 04:11 PM
I actually think Manu's decision has a lot more to do with Kiwi than anybody... whether the Spurs go from contention to rebuilding...

He played many years with TP, they're friends, there's nothing there for him to miss, tbh...

james evans
05-13-2018, 01:21 AM
if parker is getting minutes, they aint competing for shit

Snaq O'Meal
05-13-2018, 02:35 AM
if parker is getting minutes, they aint competing for shit

He can contribute to his new team in other ways, such as bringing talents like Joff along.

SAGirl
05-13-2018, 05:12 PM
I like to think of it as an upgrade from 3 and D. Dejounte is a three-point shot away from being that player. Derrick White can run the pick n roll and shoot the three.
Dijon can’t run a PnR efficiently tho. Maybe next season he can, but he wasn’t good this past season tbh

SAGirl
05-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Likely Spurs told him they are waiving him so there is no cap hold and therefore can only offer him the min.
That makes sense.