PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge wanted trade to Portland..

HarlemHeat37
05-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Another interesting subplot of the Kawhi-Uncle Dennis movie will be how Aldridge reacts to the fallout..if Kawhi returns to the Spurs, how quickly does Aldridge ask for a trade?

FireMicoHalili
05-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Why does it seem like the front office expects to find another Tim Duncan in this era? Someone who takes pay cuts to win, doesn’t have emotional outbursts on social media, can play good defense. Aldridge is different and will never, ever be as great.

HarlemHeat37
05-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Why does it seem like the front office expects to find another Tim Duncan in this era? Someone who takes pay cuts to win, doesn’t have emotional outbursts on social media, can play good defense. Aldridge is different and will never, ever be as great.

I agree with your point in regards to Kawhi, not to Aldridge..the Spurs have been blessed to have Duncan, Manu and Parker as their guys, 3 unconventional NBA stars(especially Tim, since he was a superstar) who don't follow NBA protocol, it has sheltered them from the reality of this league and the politics that accompany it..

However, I don't really blame them for the Aldridge situation..he asked for a trade after the Spurs reached the WCFs and may have even been competitive against GS if Kawhi had stayed healthy..odd timing for a trade demand..it makes you wonder if Aldridge would have already been traded had the front office and Kawhi maintained a better relationship..

Spurtacular
05-10-2018, 09:06 PM
LMA still had a good year last year.

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 09:06 PM
I agree with your point in regards to Kawhi, not to Aldridge..the Spurs have been blessed to have Duncan, Manu and Parker as their guys, 3 unconventional NBA stars(especially Tim, since he was a superstar) who don't follow NBA protocol, it has sheltered them from the reality of this league and the politics that accompany it..

However, I don't really blame them for the Aldridge situation..he asked for a trade after the Spurs reached the WCFs and may have even been competitive against GS if Kawhi had stayed healthy..odd timing for a trade demand..it makes you wonder if Aldridge would have already been traded had the front office and Kawhi maintained a better relationship..

In retrospect, trading LA for Nugget's 13th pick would have been really sweet :)

cjw
05-10-2018, 09:08 PM
In retrospect, trading LA for Nugget's 13th pick would have been really sweet :)

Oh yeah... how sweet it would have been

sananspursfan21
05-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Kawhi's going back to Portland ladies and gents. It's official!

Ice009
05-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Will LA push for a trade similar to this if Kawhi is gone, or do you guys think he'd be inclined to stay if Kawhi is gone?

HarlemHeat37
05-10-2018, 09:11 PM
What a strange time for the Spurs..their best player has Asperger's and is a puppet for his uncle..their 2nd guy asked for a trade, but subsequently had an MVP-caliber season, yet isn't really a piece to build around(too good to trade, though)..

MoSpur02
05-10-2018, 09:12 PM
:lol @Aldridge

Someone insert that "soft" GIF of Kobe

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 09:13 PM
The real reason LA wanted out was not that of not winning, but because he wasn't getting enough touches. Pop took the blame, but in reality, teams don't post up anymore. I am sure Kawhi was not thrilled with the way we played this year. We still don't know if those two can play well together. Individually they are great, but they haven't been great together for an extended period of time yet.

alpha_HaZE
05-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah... how sweet it would have been

I am sorry, but I 'd take Donovan Mitchel over LA. That player will be fun to watch for years to come.

diego
05-10-2018, 09:27 PM
It's surprising no one ever really linked the two situations.
Could very well be Aldridge staying / not getting traded at deadline is the reason for kawhi sitting / wanting out.
Not that that would be any better, but it's more than plausible.

MoSpur02
05-10-2018, 09:30 PM
I've always thought LMA & Kawhi are a bad fit together. Aldridge needs his touches to be effective and Kawhi dominates the ball a little too much for that to happen. Duncan isn't the same as Aldridge.

Spurtacular
05-10-2018, 09:30 PM
It's surprising no one ever really linked the two situations.
Could very well be Aldridge staying / not getting traded at deadline is the reason for kawhi sitting / wanting out.
Not that that would be any better, but it's more than plausible.

Doubt it. LMA was very complimentary of Kawhi in interviews all season.

TheGreatYacht
05-10-2018, 10:00 PM
:lol Duncan didn't take a paycut until he was 36. Vanilla fans smh....

daslicer
05-10-2018, 10:13 PM
]The real reason LA wanted out was not that of not winning, but because he wasn't getting enough touches. Pop took the blame, but in reality, teams don't post up anymore.[/B] I am sure Kawhi was not thrilled with the way we played this year. We still don't know if those two can play well together. Individually they are great, but they haven't been great together for an extended period of time yet.

LMA didn't really post up that much in Portland. He was more of a jump shooting big men back then and Pop wanted to utilize him the same way he utilized Duncan from 2011-2015. Anyways I don't blame LMA since 99 percent of stars want to score 20 or more points a game. Your not going to find many guys who are willing to score less than 20.

tbdog
05-10-2018, 10:21 PM
I think LMA is even better than he was in Portland, when he got what he wanted. There are not many players in the league who can stop him one on one. If we had shooters and someone who can score other than him, he would be even better. Yes, that player is Leonard. But we needed a better SG as well.

John B
05-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Was this last year when he wanted out of Spurs? We all knew that. I think him playing all-NBA changed that. I think people just stirring the pot in hopes to nab Kawhi.

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Dude's got the mentality of a 14-year old, what did we expect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJxihsTNRgc

cd021
05-10-2018, 10:50 PM
I think LMA is even better than he was in Portland, when he got what he wanted. There are not many players in the league who can stop him one on one. If we had shooters and someone who can score other than him, he would be even better. Yes, that player is Leonard. But we needed a better SG as well.

Aldridge is a behemoth in an increasingly smaller league, he can back down just about any one in the post, but Pop put a bad bunch of non shooting or mediocre shooting perimeter players around him.

Now if Kawhi were to return, Green, Manu, and Gay opt in or get new deals then that team could be rather good;

Murray, Green, KL, Gay, LMA
Parker, Mills, Manu, Anderson, Gasol

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Aldridge is a behemoth in an increasingly smaller league, he can back down just about any one in the post, but Pop put a bad bunch of non shooting or mediocre shooting perimeter players around him.

Now if Kawhi were to return, Green, Manu, and Gay opt in or get new deals then that team could be rather good;

LMA pouted when he wasn't getting touches.

How the mighty have fallen.
We went from Admiral and Timmy to these emo dickheads.

FireMicoHalili
05-10-2018, 11:04 PM
:lol Duncan didn't take a paycut until he was 36. Vanilla fans smh....
So...he took a pay cut? Yes or no? Snarky, run-of-the-mill ST idiots smh....

apalisoc_9
05-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Probably a sign that Kawhi is back.

Mah touches feelings already hurt.

dabom
05-10-2018, 11:12 PM

LMA not a good passer off the double though. :lol

Wtf..

Amuseddaysleeper
05-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Wasn't Aldridge trying to get traded last year? If it was this year it would be more surprising.

Spurtacular
05-10-2018, 11:39 PM
Probably a sign that Kawhi is back.

Mah touches feelings already hurt.

:lol Player fan back to hating LMA.

#BiggestCuntOnST

cd021
05-11-2018, 12:30 AM
LMA not a good passer off the double though. :lol

Wtf..

Doesn't change the fact that Parker, Murray, and Anderson can't shoot. Green and Manu had off shooting seasons tbh

Team was 26th in 3pt % and 27th in 3pt attempts :wakeup

cd021
05-11-2018, 12:34 AM
LMA pouted when he wasn't getting touches.

How the mighty have fallen.
We went from Admiral and Timmy to these emo dickheads.

When he did get his touches, he posted his most efficient season; 23 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 51% FG

If Kawhi does come back, he and LMA and Pop have to figure out how to better balance the touches and attempts. No reason why both can't get up 17 FGA per game with them running an effective 2 man game.

dabom
05-11-2018, 01:13 AM
Doesn't change the fact that Parker, Murray, and Anderson can't shoot. Green and Manu had off shooting seasons tbh

Team was 26th in 3pt % and 27th in 3pt attempts :wakeup

That's what happens when the role players have to play like superstars. The players had to shift up 1 role. Are you a fucking dumbass? :lmao

dabom
05-11-2018, 01:15 AM
When he did get his touches, he posted his most efficient season; 23 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 51% FG

If Kawhi does come back, he and LMA and Pop have to figure out how to better balance the touches and attempts. No reason why both can't get up 17 FGA per game with them running an effective 2 man game.

LMA and Kawhi do have a balance. LMA early because he is good early, and Kawhi late because Kawhi is a closer. LMA can't be a closer, and we can't waste Kawhi energy early.

If you think they never had a plan. :lmao

cd021
05-11-2018, 02:40 AM
That's what happens when the role players have to play like superstars. The players had to shift up 1 role. Are you a fucking dumbass? :lmao

Knocking down open 3's isn't playing like superstars tbh.

dabom
05-11-2018, 02:44 AM
Knocking down open 3's isn't playing like superstars tbh.

You didn't invalidate what I said, faggot. :lmao

cd021
05-11-2018, 02:49 AM
LMA and Kawhi do have a balance. LMA early because he is good early, and Kawhi late because Kawhi is a closer. LMA can't be a closer, and we can't waste Kawhi energy early.

If you think they never had a plan. :lmao

They don't play well together, lol at thinking that they do.

When Kawhi actually played, he often ran P&P with Pau, leaving Aldridge to spot up in the corner. Pop never fully utilized the two man game with LMA and Kawhi by having them run p&p or p&r - teams can't double Kawhi without leaving Aldridge open for an 18 footer and they can't switch because a big would be on Kawhi and a wing would be on LMA.

Leonard excels in ISO's and post ups while LMA gets his in the posts or pick and pops; they can work well together but it hasn't been perfect in their two plus seasons together.

dabom
05-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Kawhi and LMA had the Warriors dead to rights. Home court won. Could we have taken game 2 also? Probably. And your telling me they don't mesh well? :lmao

Arcadian
05-11-2018, 03:19 AM
I still think Leonard and Aldridge can co-exist. Is there some principled reason why they couldn't? They both like to post, but Leonard is also a slasher and developed a deep threat on top of that. They should be able to play a wicked two-man game and pick-and-pop everyone to death.

kuato
05-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Yes please!

BillMc
05-11-2018, 07:05 AM
Only news about this is I thought LMA didn't like Lillard.

But last year, he was disgruntled. So, not really a surprise.

Capt Bringdown
05-11-2018, 07:30 AM

Correct. That's his game, he wants touches so that he can fill up a stats sheet. Especially in a season in which there's no pressure or expectation (everyone knew that the Spurs were going nowhere this year without Leonard).

He doesn't know anything about winning, however. He's proven that here, and in Portland.

cd021
05-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Correct. That's his game, he wants touches so that he can fill up a stats sheet. Especially in a season in which there's no pressure or expectation (everyone knew that the Spurs were going nowhere this year without Leonard).

He doesn't know anything about winning, however. He's proven that here, and in Portland.

I mean what do you want from him? He lead this team to 47 wins and you criticize him for dragging the Spurs to the playoffs while Kawhi chilled out in N.Y

cd021
05-11-2018, 08:46 AM
I still think Leonard and Aldridge can co-exist. Is there some principled reason why they couldn't? They both like to post, but Leonard is also a slasher and developed a deep threat on top of that. They should be able to play a wicked two-man game and pick-and-pop everyone to death.

I didn't say that they couldn't but you can't tell me that they work all that well together.

What you mentioned isn't really how they play together; when Kawhi was healthy, he often ran pick and pop with Gasol with Aldridge spotting up in the corner- where he would never get the ball because Kawhi would either pull up, get to the rim or pass back to Gasol for a 3.

Continuing to start LMA at the 5; with Kawhi back would force them to actually use the two-man game a lot more with teams generally not being able to switch the P&R/ P&P because Kawhi would be guarded by a big and LMA by a wing, also doubling off Aldridge would leave him often for his mid-rangers.

When LMA posts, he would have Green, Gay, and Leonard with Murray ducking in for offensive rebounds while Aldridge's presence as a roller or hanging around the rim would make Leonard drive's harder to defend against and also allow for LMA to clean up any misses or catch dump offs when his man leaves to contest.

That is how they should be utilized but it hasn't consistently happened.

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Only news about this is I thought LMA didn't like Lillard.

But last year, he was disgruntled. So, not really a surprise.

LMA said he’s grown up a lot and mended things with Lillard. He also talked about how he didn’t want the same thing to happen with Murray so he’s tried being more of a leader and learn from past mistakes.

BillMc
05-11-2018, 08:57 AM
LMA said he’s grown up a lot and mended things with Lillard. He also talked about how he didn’t want the same thing to happen with Murray so he’s tried being more of a leader and learn from past mistakes.
:toast

Arcadian
05-11-2018, 09:28 AM
I didn't say that they couldn't but you can't tell me that they work all that well together.

What you mentioned isn't really how they play together; when Kawhi was healthy, he often ran pick and pop with Gasol with Aldridge spotting up in the corner- where he would never get the ball because Kawhi would either pull up, get to the rim or pass back to Gasol for a 3.

Continuing to start LMA at the 5; with Kawhi back would force them to actually use the two-man game a lot more with teams generally not being able to switch the P&R/ P&P because Kawhi would be guarded by a big and LMA by a wing, also doubling off Aldridge would leave him often for his mid-rangers.

When LMA posts, he would have Green, Gay, and Leonard with Murray ducking in for offensive rebounds while Aldridge's presence as a roller or hanging around the rim would make Leonard drive's harder to defend against and also allow for LMA to clean up any misses or catch dump offs when his man leaves to contest.

That is how they should be utilized but it hasn't consistently happened.

So they potentially can play well together but haven't been utilized correctly. Sounds like a coaching problem.

TimDunkem
05-11-2018, 11:08 AM
What a strange time for the Spurs..their best player has Asperger's and is a puppet for his uncle..their 2nd guy asked for a trade, but subsequently had an MVP-caliber season, yet isn't really a piece to build around(too good to trade, though)..

Spurs are currently in NBA purgatory, tbh. Not good enough to win, too good to truly tank.

HarlemHeat37
05-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Spurs are currently in NBA purgatory, tbh. Not good enough to win, too good to truly tank.

They won't embrace tanking as long as Pop is coaching, either..so might as well hope they can acquire proven talent for Kawhi and keep Aldridge around..

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 11:14 AM
They won't embrace tanking as long as Pop is coaching, either..so might as well hope they can acquire proven talent for Kawhi and keep Aldridge around..

Plus, if they trade Kawhi they should get tanking level assets so why not be a playoff team while rebuilding on the fly when you can hit FA with a ton of money and still have plenty of youth/first round picks.

cjw
05-11-2018, 11:57 AM
I am sorry, but I 'd take Donovan Mitchel over LA. That player will be fun to watch for years to come.

totally, was agreeing there. If only we had known.

ECOV
05-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Dude's got the mentality of a 14-year old, what did we expect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJxihsTNRgc
for a shoe collection

exstatic
05-11-2018, 12:13 PM
LOL @ anyone thinking pro athletes are anything BUT big kids.

SAGirl
05-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Interesting that Aldridge would have rather gone back to Portland to play 2nd fiddle with the PG that allegedly had him so jealous he wanted to leave in the first place. That's how bad he wanted out of S.A.

Hoping Pop has the same power of persuasion with the mute diva that is Kiwi.

r0drig0lac
05-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Interesting that Aldridge would have rather gone back to Portland to play 2nd fiddle with the PG that allegedly had him so jealous he wanted to leave in the first place. That's how bad he wanted out of S.A.

Hoping Pop has the same power of persuasion with the mute diva that is Kiwi.

Duncan, Parker and Manu protected Pop from "real nba"

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2018, 05:07 PM
totally, was agreeing there. If only we had known.

true that, hindsight is 20/20 :)

DJR210
05-11-2018, 05:09 PM
The article I read made the same claim, but said he reached out to CJ McCollum.. McCollum has been pretty vocal on podcasts and radio shows about his opinion that Leonard will not be a Spur next season.. I wonder if Aldridge is sharing inside info with him..

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Duncan, Parker and Manu protected Pop from "real nba"

I think they allowed Pop to be Pop.

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2018, 05:16 PM
In my opinion, we should have never traded for LA. Dude would rather play with Damian over Kawhi, are you serious? If you ask ANYone else they pick Kawhi all the way. Pop took the blame, I overcoached him, he said. But the reality there aren't many teams that play in the post like we do and it's because of him. Without him, we able to draft higher so we don't miss Kuzma, and were able to keep Dedmon and Simmons.

Capt Bringdown
05-11-2018, 09:07 PM
In my opinion, we should have never traded for LA. Dude would rather play with Damian over Kawhi, are you serious?

Yep, what else do we need to know about this loser? He'd rather just quietly collect his millions for padding his stat line with meaningless regular season numbers.
We saw what happens when he's put under pressure to perform in playoff situations last year - he wilted and demanded to be traded in the off-season.
What a little bitch who is not worthy to wear the silver & black.

RD2191
05-11-2018, 09:18 PM
In my opinion, we should have never traded for LA. Dude would rather play with Damian over Kawhi, are you serious? If you ask ANYone else they pick Kawhi all the way. Pop took the blame, I overcoached him, he said. But the reality there aren't many teams that play in the post like we do and it's because of him. Without him, we able to draft higher so we don't miss Kuzma, and were able to keep Dedmon and Simmons.

Yep, what else do we need to know about this loser? He'd rather just quietly collect his millions for padding his stat line with meaningless regular season numbers.
We saw what happens when he's put under pressure to perform in playoff situations last year - he wilted and demanded to be traded in the off-season.
What a little bitch who is not worthy to wear the silver & black.

Truth bombs.

Vic Petro
05-12-2018, 12:07 AM
Sell high

Ice009
05-12-2018, 12:15 AM
Who would he be traded for to Portland, though?

If he spoke with either CJ McCollum or Lillard, that's strange because the Spurs would probably want one of those two back.

daslicer
05-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Amazing how this thread turned into a bash LMA thread based on old news from a year ago. I have to say great subtle troll job by OP. He knew what he was doing when he posted this article.