PDA

View Full Version : Is there any realistic chance we get rid of pau gasols horrible contract?

tim210g
05-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Trade or waive?

MoSpur02
05-10-2018, 09:02 PM
I wish.

exstatic
05-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Patty’s is far worse. Pau’s Is only one more year, and then they stretch the last $6M over three years, or, if they don’t need the room, eat the $6M all at once.

Leetonidas
05-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Unless you want Joakim Noah or Luol Deng or Timofey Mozgov, probably not

MoSpur02
05-10-2018, 09:34 PM
There's always a chance, but not realistic. If they trade him don't expect anything good in return.

John B
05-10-2018, 10:51 PM
I hope so :rolleyes

Uriel
05-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Can’t we salary dump him to a team with cap space like we did with Tiago Splitter to the Hawks?

exstatic
05-11-2018, 12:10 AM
Can’t we salary dump him to a team with cap space like we did with Tiago Splitter to the Hawks?

Bud did us a solid on that one. Teams normally want an asset to even rent their cap space for a year.

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 12:15 AM
If I was a betting man I would say Pau is traded

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2018, 12:52 AM
If we can send our 18th draft pick and Pau's expiring to select in the 13th range, that would be great!

cd021
05-11-2018, 01:02 AM
If we can send our 18th draft pick and Pau's expiring to select in the 13th range, that would be great!

Spurs would likely be trading back, not up in that case. Someone mentioned Pau + 18 to Atlanta for the 30th pick; though i'd rather keep the pick and play Gasol as the backup five for this season before waiving him next off season.

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2018, 01:09 AM
Spurs would likely be trading back, not up in that case. Someone mentioned Pau + 18 to Atlanta for the 30th pick; though i'd rather keep the pick and play Gasol as the backup five for this season before waiving him next off season.

Yes, then we should keep Gasol and our pick especially if Robert Williams is available at 18. That guy has tons of potential, it reminds me of Kawhi where his 3 point shot was quenstioned and his offensive potential overall was a question mark, but had defensive potential. The new Bruce Bowen some said, then.

dabom
05-11-2018, 01:18 AM
If I was a betting man I would say Pau is traded

He is gone. From my perspective this offseason.

dabom
05-11-2018, 01:21 AM
Spurs have no loyalty to Pau and he's snubbed us before. No hard feelings from both sides. Spurs gonna do so voodoo there.

cd021
05-11-2018, 02:52 AM
He is gone. From my perspective this offseason.

You got a team in mind? Spurs would need to sacrifice their highest pick in 20 years to move a player who is ,essentially, on a 1 year deal.

dabom
05-11-2018, 02:55 AM
You got a team in mind? Spurs would need to sacrifice their highest pick in 20 years to move a player who is ,essentially, on a 1 year deal.

How about we make a $100 bet. 1 to 1.

cd021
05-11-2018, 08:10 AM
How about we make a $100 bet. 1 to 1.

:lol
you know you lost your argument when you try to make a bet to show how confident you are in your point.

classic :lol

pad300
05-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Something could be done, depends what SAS are willing to take back.

Pau, Mills, Murray

for

Kemba and Batum + a 2019 2nd

CHA gets a longer term asset (Murray) for Kemba who is an expiring who will be looking for a chance to win and a big contract. Batum is more useful than Pau, but on a longer and more expensive contract...
SAS gets a starting PG, which we desperately need (although we will end up paying to keep him) and a starting Wing to put in place of Kawhit (or Danny if he leaves), who might get better in a better system (Batum was much better in Portland - with LMA coincidentally).

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 09:02 AM
I think SA could move Pau with a future protected first round pick. We saw how valuable 1st rounders have been. Look at this trade deadline; first round picks were gold. A team with cap space that isn’t making a splash would be willing to do it for first in the 25+ range or even 2nd rounders.

I could see Pau moved for a protected future first (like 25+) and if that never conveys it turns into a 2nd rounder.

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 09:11 AM
cant lament paus deal. all about the 50 imo

Mills has positive value; I hate his deal, but I’m telling people he has positive value. If SA wanted to, they could GET something in return for trading Mills. Not a first most likely, but a player of value or 2nd round pick(s). Mills contract is not viewed as bad around the league.

He was not amazing or anything obviously, but on a team with no Kawhi with lead guard minutes/responsibilities he did pretty damn well and compared to what some other “shooters” make? It’s not a bad deal from a trade perspective even though it’s not a good deal for SA’s roster.

exstatic
05-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Something could be done, depends what SAS are willing to take back.

Pau, Mills, Murray

for

Kemba and Batum + a 2019 2nd

CHA gets a longer term asset (Murray) for Kemba who is an expiring who will be looking for a chance to win and a big contract. Batum is more useful than Pau, but on a longer and more expensive contract...
SAS gets a starting PG, which we desperately need (although we will end up paying to keep him) and a starting Wing to put in place of Kawhit (or Danny if he leaves), who might get better in a better system (Batum was much better in Portland - with LMA coincidentally).

I like Kemba, but I think Pop is done with passive Frenchies acquired from Charlotte. Batum is just a skinnier version of Diaw, who makes a LOT more money. I also think that CHA is going to want a LOT more than DM and the corpse of Gasol to move Kemba.

DaBears
05-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Lets put it this way.. If your trying to dump this guy & his albatross of a contract, you think anyone else wants it. They'd probably view it the same and wouldn't want to touch it.

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Lets put it this way.. If your trying to dump this guy & his albatross of a contract, you think anyone else wants it. They'd probably view it the same and wouldn't want to touch it.

That is because you are valuing him as a player. I think some teams would still value him as a player especially because vets like Pau (and a million others) are useful in locker rooms. The fact he’s already accepted a bench role too makes that easier.

But beyond that, view him as a contract and not a player. For a team with cap space, that can’t really use it anyways, you can eat that 1 year of Pau’s deal (and the partially guaranteed year is not a huge deal mostly) and get a first round pick for your troubles for money that HAD to be spent regardless.

rude1_79
05-11-2018, 10:11 AM
in the back of my mind, i always envisioned pau wanting to end his career playing with his brother and retiring with his first team, the grizz. i dont know how that would be possible though.

pad300
05-11-2018, 10:43 AM
I like Kemba, but I think Pop is done with passive Frenchies acquired from Charlotte. Batum is just a skinnier version of Diaw, who makes a LOT more money. I also think that CHA is going to want a LOT more than DM and the corpse of Gasol to move Kemba.

For Kemba straight up, sure, they would want a lot more than DM and Gasol. But they are getting way more: Moving Batum's contract, and Mills (who DPG insists has positive value)...

BackHome
05-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Mills has positive value; I hate his deal, but I’m telling people he has positive value. If SA wanted to, they could GET something in return for trading Mills. Not a first most likely, but a player of value or 2nd round pick(s). Mills contract is not viewed as bad around the league.

He was not amazing or anything obviously, but on a team with no Kawhi with lead guard minutes/responsibilities he did pretty damn well and compared to what some other “shooters” make? It’s not a bad deal from a trade perspective even though it’s not a good deal for SA’s roster.

I think a team like the Raptors or Philly would want to get a guy like Mills. For all his faults he is a great team mate and when his shot is on can be a difference maker. Add on his Playoff experience and I think a team like Philly would like to add him in the Kawhi trade.

superbigtime
05-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Mills still has appeal by being a great enthusiastic guy and a good citizen for any coach, but he doesn't pass the eyeball test for just about anyone. I would be stunned if he gets traded. Hopefully some stupid GM loves the guy.

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Mills still has appeal by being a great enthusiastic guy and a good citizen for any coach, but he doesn't pass the eyeball test for just about anyone. I would be stunned if he gets traded. Hopefully some stupid GM loves the guy.

I think if Mills is not traded its because SA doesn’t want to trade him; not becaue a team won’t take him.

dabom
05-11-2018, 02:14 PM
:lol
you know you lost your argument when you try to make a bet to show how confident you are in your point.

classic :lol

If you were confident, you would have done it. People need to stop talking about things they don't believe in. :lol

superbigtime
05-11-2018, 04:22 PM
I think if Mills is not traded its because SA doesn’t want to trade him; not becaue a team won’t take him.

why would't they want to trade him.

cd021
05-11-2018, 04:30 PM
If you were confident, you would have done it. People need to stop talking about things they don't believe in. :lol
proving my point, tbh

TD 21
05-11-2018, 05:03 PM
I doubt they'll look to trade him, but hypothetically speaking something like this would probably be the only hope . . .

Gasol (2/$32M; 23.5M guaranteed) and 18 for Fournier (3/$51M)? Not sure I'd do it, but it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone: They'd get out from Gasol and fill a need in the back court, essentially redistributing their 3rd highest salary in the process.

They could then use the MLE on a center, such as O'Quinn (p/o), Dedmon (p/o), Nogueira (RFA), Len or Baynes.

DPG21920
05-11-2018, 05:33 PM
why would't they want to trade him.

Because they value him, TP/Manu could be gone, Kawhi could be gone and White/Murray are still very young.

BackHome
05-11-2018, 07:01 PM
He is good just should not be starting or getting more then 20 minutes a game

tholdren
05-11-2018, 07:14 PM

Wtf? Look at the nba talent. There are like 3 guys that have an all around game. Mills is in the entertainment business. He can hit a three. He will stay in the nba until he cant.

People like shane larkin, nick young, play. There are literally stars in the league that cant shoot or defend. The best players in the nba travel and carry every possession. Its not about fundamentals. Its preteen entertainment.

Vic Petro
05-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Because they value him, TP/Manu could be gone, Kawhi could be gone and White/Murray are still very young.

Also, Pop and RC consider him a shepherd of Spurs culture to the next generation of players after Tim/Manu/TP. For better or worse. Gasol is valuable to them in this way too. Even if Kawhi and Aldridge were to stay, neither are really locker room leaders

pookenstein
05-12-2018, 08:18 AM
proving my point, tbh

He would welch anyway.

tim210g
05-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Id take any of them of gasol tbh

SAGirl
05-13-2018, 06:07 PM
And bet on things they intend to Welch on :lol
Its meaningless fake tough act

David Stern
05-13-2018, 06:13 PM
I do not blame Leonard if he wants out due to this franchise failing to put a few long term sidekicks next to him like they did with Duncan. You can call Duncan loyal all you want, but he would have bolted the Spurs if that shitstorm of an old 2001 roster didn’t show immediate signs of significant improvement. Gasol/Mills contracts were a few of PATFO massive fuckups.

Big Empty
05-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Kyrie/Hayward for Kawhi/Gasol/18th pick

lmbebo
05-14-2018, 12:43 PM
I do not blame Leonard if he wants out due to this franchise failing to put a few long term sidekicks next to him like they did with Duncan. You can call Duncan loyal all you want, but he would have bolted the Spurs if that shitstorm of an old 2001 roster didn’t show immediate signs of significant improvement. Gasol/Mills contracts were a few of PATFO massive fuckups.

You may not agree with it, but the team did go out and get the most coveted free agent that summer in LMA.

CGD
05-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Meh, I think we’re getting to a point where pau’s Contract looks like an asset because of its quasi expiring nature. Strictly hypothetical, say Minni needs to shed some cash they can send us deing and attach a pick to it. Or, if your the spurs seeing that the next two years are a rebuild, maybe to take back the last two years of Noah’s deal for a pick.

exstatic
05-14-2018, 01:50 PM

By 2001, Tim had already committed, long term, like 7 years. The Orlando summer was 2000.

cd98
05-14-2018, 02:03 PM
We would have to give up a first round pick to get rid of Gasol. No trade with Kawhi would involve salary dumping Gasol. Why would we want to use Kawhi to get salary relief? We want him to get us young players and picks that could develop into great players. Gasol just gets us more one year contracts and free cap space...so we can sign no one because good free agents don't come to play for lottery teams. No reason to salary dump Gasol at this point.

David Stern
05-14-2018, 07:19 PM
By 2001, Tim had already committed, long term, like 7 years. The Orlando summer was 2000.

Nope, Duncan was a free agent the Summer of 2003 where he signed that 7 year deal. He basically told the Spurs they were on the clock after the 2001 sweep and basically had 2 years to put better pieces around him including some long term sidekicks. They came through. It doesn’t look like the Spurs are going to come through for Kawhi though. We can call him out all we want, but this team got him Aldridge and what else??? Aldridge is also about to be 32 years old. Where are the other young sidekicks? Murray?? Bertans? Fucking Kyle Anderson? GMAFB.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Nope, Duncan was a free agent the Summer of 2003 where he signed that 7 year deal. He basically told the Spurs they were on the clock after the 2001 sweep and basically had 2 years to put better pieces around him including some long term sidekicks. They came through. It doesn’t look like the Spurs are going to come through for Kawhi though. We can call him out all we want, but this team got him Aldridge and what else??? Aldridge is also about to be 32 years old. Where are the other young sidekicks? Murray?? Bertans? Fucking Kyle Anderson? GMAFB.

So I guess Bron is leaving CLE. What young side kicks does he have? I guess Harden is leaving HOU. What young side kicks does he have? I guess Giannis is leaving MIL. What young sidekicks does he have?

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 07:31 PM
SA built a team that is a legit WCF+ contender and win-now ready. Even without Kawhi, SA built a team that was a playoff team in a very good Western Conference and that was with a lot going wrong: Danny declining, TP/Manu declining, Rudy new and injured, etc...

It’s not hard to think that SA could easily upgrade those areas and that with Kawhi they would have a legit shot at WCF+. TP/Manu could be gone and replaced with better players so that improves things. Rudy could be out and they could sign free agents that fit better. Danny could be traded or opt out, etc...the path for improvement is there and they already have a damn good team with Kawhi.

David Stern
05-14-2018, 07:43 PM
So I guess Bron is leaving CLE. What young side kicks does he have? I guess Harden is leaving HOU. What young side kicks does he have? I guess Giannis is leaving MIL. What young sidekicks does he have?

None in Cleveland and they won’t ring. The Bucks are still young, so I’m not burying them just yet. Seriously, come back with a better rebuttal than that. Duncan had 2 young all-star sidekicks which basically is the reason the Spurs overall have 4 more championships. Leonard has an aging Aldridge/Rudy Gay. Then the team overpays for Mills/Gasol. Is this really how you treat your franchise player? Is that really the best they can do for him? I’m sorry but that’s unaccepatable. Leonard should have 2 young sidekicks with a solid supporting cast by his side and contending for championships for the next decade. I honestly don’t fault him for being pissed if this was truly the best they could do.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Shhhhhh.

David Stern
05-14-2018, 07:46 PM
SA built a team that is a legit WCF+ contender and win-now ready. Even without Kawhi, SA built a team that was a playoff team in a very good Western Conference and that was with a lot going wrong: Danny declining, TP/Manu declining, Rudy new and injured, etc...

It’s not hard to think that SA could easily upgrade those areas and that with Kawhi they would have a legit shot at WCF+. TP/Manu could be gone and replaced with better players so that improves things. Rudy could be out and they could sign free agents that fit better. Danny could be traded or opt out, etc...the path for improvement is there and they already have a damn good team with Kawhi.

Without Leonard, they couldn’t even win on the fucking road to save their lives. Take Duncan off those teams with a prime Ginobili/Parker and they don’t go down in flames like this roster did. I’m sorry, but this roster outstide of Kawhi isn’t promising at all.

David Stern
05-14-2018, 07:47 PM
Shhhhhh.

Respond with a solid rebuttal and quote me. Come on!

David Stern
05-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Shhhhhh.

That’s exactly what I thought. Spoken like a coward truly lacking testicular fortitude.

BSfromTX
05-14-2018, 07:54 PM
None in Cleveland and they won’t ring. The Bucks are still young, so I’m not burying them just yet. Seriously, come back with a better rebuttal than that. Duncan had 2 young all-star sidekicks which basically is the reason the Spurs overall have 4 more championships. Leonard has an aging Aldridge/Rudy Gay. Then the team overpays for Mills/Gasol. Is this really how you treat your franchise player? Is that really the best they can do for him? I’m sorry but that’s unaccepatable. Leonard should have 2 young sidekicks with a solid supporting cast by his side and contending for championships for the next decade. I honestly don’t fault him for being pissed if this was truly the best they could do.

This line of thinking boggles me. Gasol and mills contracts is ur only reasonable point. People in here act like it’s so easy to just add stars. You have to either luck out in the draft or sell off your future for today and that second option has paralyzed most teams from being able to do anything.. the two bad contracts are also most likely paybacks for taking less earlier. As hard as that might be to accept, it helps convince future FAs they will be taken care of.. I’ve watched this league for 30 years and if it were as easy as you make it sound, we would all be GMs

so at least give a scenario in which pop adds two all stars in the last year or two.

daslicer
05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Meh, I think we’re getting to a point where pau’s Contract looks like an asset because of its quasi expiring nature. Strictly hypothetical, say Minni needs to shed some cash they can send us deing and attach a pick to it. Or, if your the spurs seeing that the next two years are a rebuild, maybe to take back the last two years of Noah’s deal for a pick.

Pretty much this. I always subtract 1 year from any deal that a player signs since it's easy to trade any player in their final contract year. Gasol's contract after 2019 will become a valuable asset like you said.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
I know who this troll is :lol

exstatic
05-14-2018, 08:11 PM

He wasn’t a FA in 2003. That was the summer of Kidd. It was circus enough, but if Tim were a FA, it would have been bedlam.

Uriel
05-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Bud did us a solid on that one. Teams normally want an asset to even rent their cap space for a year.
Perhaps Memphis will take him back for sentimental reasons? We could throw in a future first round draft pick to sweeten the deal.

With Gasol off the books and Green and Gay opting out, the Spurs will have the cap space to make a run at a significant free agent this offseason.

daslicer
05-14-2018, 08:53 PM
He wasn’t a FA in 2003. That was the summer of Kidd. It was circus enough, but if Tim were a FA, it would have been bedlam.

He had an opt out clause and used it in the summer of '03 to help the Spurs clear up cap space to go after Kidd,Jermaine O'neal, and Brand. Spur failed to sign those guys but once they signed Rasho, Tim re-upped and signed another max deal.

SAGirl
05-14-2018, 09:47 PM
None in Cleveland and they won’t ring. The Bucks are still young, so I’m not burying them just yet. Seriously, come back with a better rebuttal than that. Duncan had 2 young all-star sidekicks which basically is the reason the Spurs overall have 4 more championships. Leonard has an aging Aldridge/Rudy Gay. Then the team overpays for Mills/Gasol. Is this really how you treat your franchise player? Is that really the best they can do for him? I’m sorry but that’s unaccepatable. Leonard should have 2 young sidekicks with a solid supporting cast by his side and contending for championships for the next decade. I honestly don’t fault him for being pissed if this was truly the best they could do.I'd be more receptive to this argument had he played and faced a 2001 sweep like the one you described from Timmy D. Since he missed an entire season and teams without their stars playing aren't the same... this is a bleh and stupid point.

And I don't like this roster very much at all... it's just that with him not playing an entire season, that was nothing Timmy D ever did..

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 09:51 PM
I'd be more receptive to this argument had he played and faced a 2001 sweep like the one you described from Timmy D. Since he missed an entire season and teams without their stars playing aren't the same... this is a bleh and stupid point.

And I don't like this roster very much at all... it's just that with him not playing an entire season, that was nothing Timmy D ever did..

SA with no Kawhi may end up putting up just as good of a fight vs GS as a stacked HOU

pad300
05-15-2018, 08:41 AM
SA with no Kawhi may end up putting up just as good of a fight vs GS as a stacked HOU

GS was missing Curry when they played us, remember...

exstatic
05-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Perhaps Memphis will take him back for sentimental reasons? We could throw in a future first round draft pick to sweeten the deal.

With Gasol off the books and Green and Gay opting out, the Spurs will have the cap space to make a run at a significant free agent this offseason.

With Fat Gasol and Conley, they have zero cap room.

BillMc
05-15-2018, 08:58 AM

Yep.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 09:23 AM
GS was missing Curry when they played us, remember...

SA was also missing Kawhi though. HOU is fully healthy and this is it for them.

spurraider21
05-16-2018, 08:10 PM
cant believe we gave the mills and gasol contracts in the same offseason. what a shitshow

there was no universe where having gasol opt out of 1/16 for the spurs to give him 3/48 made literally any sense.

DPG21920
05-16-2018, 08:14 PM
cant believe we gave the mills and gasol contracts in the same offseason. what a shitshow

there was no universe where having gasol opt out of 1/16 for the spurs to give him 3/48 made literally any sense.

My friend, like it or hate, the logic was already explained. SA miscalculated badly either CP3 or someone else they were targeting. They had to convince Pau to opt out in order to get a chance to sign a big free agent (thought to have been CP3). Pau would have gotten less money had they landed that person which was not possible unless he opted out.

The deal was though, that if Pau did that for SA he would get paid more for doing them a favor if they whiffed which they did.

It sucks, but you can’t go back on deals like that if you are a great organization. Mills deal sucks, but it’s not that bad all things considered. He still played himself into positive value even though I wish they didn’t do it.

tholdren
05-16-2018, 08:16 PM
My friend, like it or hate, the logic was already explained. SA miscalculated badly either CP3 or someone else they were targeting. They had to convince Pau to opt out in order to get a chance to sign a big free agent (thought to have been CP3). Pau would have gotten less money had they landed that person which was not possible unless he opted out.

The deal was though, that if Pau did that for SA he would get paid more for doing them a favor if they whiffed which they did.

It sucks, but you can’t go back on deals like that if you are a great organization. Mills deal sucks, but it’s not that bad all things considered. He still played himself into positive value even though I wish they didn’t do it.

spurraider21
05-16-2018, 08:16 PM

holy speculation batman

so the deal was "hey pau, why dont you opt out of one year, and if we dont get the player we want, you can fuck us in the ass for 3 years"

makes no sense. would have made sense if they signed him for less annually, but still above his market value. like 3/36 or somethin. similar to when RJ opted out of 15 to get 4/40 or whatever that was

but yeah, mills showing up for the playoffs was somewhat redeeming, though he is still grossly overpaid for his role

DPG21920
05-16-2018, 08:23 PM
holy speculation batman

so the deal was "hey pau, why dont you opt out of one year, and if we dont get the player we want, you can fuck us in the ass for 3 years"

makes no sense. would have made sense if they signed him for less annually, but still above his market value. like 3/36 or somethin. similar to when RJ opted out of 15 to get 4/40 or whatever that was

but yeah, mills showing up for the playoffs was somewhat redeeming, though he is still grossly overpaid for his role

Dude, it’s not speculation. It was reported IIRC (not the specifics of the contract, but why he opted out when he did). Again, SA are not idiots; there is a reason they rewarded Pau with that deal if you just think about it logically.

Also, you said 3/36 which is basically what he got since the last year is only 6M guaranteed. The guaranteed money is 3/38

tholdren
05-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Dude, it’s not speculation. It was reported IIRC (not the specifics of the contract, but why he opted out when he did). Again, SA are not idiots; there is a reason they rewarded Pau with that deal if you just think about it logically.

Also, you said 3/36 which is basically what he got since the last year is only 6M guaranteed. The guaranteed money is 3/38

DPG21920
05-16-2018, 08:25 PM
And don’t get me wrong; Im not defending it. They wildly miscalculated obviously but can’t fault them for being aggressive.

Seventyniner
05-16-2018, 08:39 PM
And don’t get me wrong; Im not defending it. They wildly miscalculated obviously but can’t fault them for being aggressive.

It's almost impossible to convince someone who employs results-based thinking. Especially when many of those same people like to shit on the FO for standing pat so often. They must think that bold moves are always necessary and they always work out.

gambit1990
05-16-2018, 08:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/sites/timberwolves/files/styles/story_main_photo/public/getty-images-524993326.jpg?itok=k61MA39X

let him keep building the timberbulls.

DPG21920
05-16-2018, 08:46 PM
I am very confident in SA’s FO despite some missteps. Kawhi is the one throwing a wrench in things big picture.

tholdren
05-18-2018, 04:19 PM
It's almost impossible to convince someone who employs results-based thinking. Especially when many of those same people like to shit on the FO for standing pat so often. They must think that bold moves are always necessary and they always work out.

As opposed to nonresults based thinking? Sad

MaNu4Tres
05-19-2018, 02:40 PM
There's no point in dumping Gasol unless it's a win now LeBron situation. He has 1 year left at 16 mil ( the next yr is only partially guaranteed)-- why lessen the return for LA or Kawhi by including Pau ?

I'd rather not include Pau in any deal and optimize the return for LA & Kawhi. Wouldn't have to use the 18th or Murray either -- keep those assets.

Just eat Paus deal another year or trade him to a desperate team that whiffs later on in FA for a 2034 2nd rounder.

It's about extracting the most value they can for LA & Kawhi without giving up any of their own assets.

cd98
05-19-2018, 03:44 PM
There's no point in dumping Gasol unless it's a win now LeBron situation. He has 1 year left at 16 mil ( the next yr is only partially guaranteed)-- why lessen the return for LA or Kawhi by including Pau ?

I'd rather not include Pau in any deal and optimize the return for LA & Kawhi. Wouldn't have to use the 18th or Murray either -- keep those assets.

Just eat Paus deal another year or trade him to a desperate team that whiffs later on in FA for a 2034 2nd rounder.

It makes zero sense to dump Pau unless we know LeBron is down to come to SA.

It's about extracting the most valuable they can for LA & Kawhi without giving up any of their own assets.

Yep. Spurs aren’t winning a title. Getting rid of Pau does what? Open up salary space for a poor free agent? You may even get lucky if he negotiates a buy out to play for a contender.

Chinook
05-19-2018, 04:29 PM
I hate Pau's deal, but it doesn't make sense to dump it. If the Spurs decide to blow it up, then Pau may as well stay on the books or be used to absorb salary for a team looking to shed money (like LAL giving up their first to get out of some of Deng's last year or Minny doing something similar with Dieng). If they want to pivot into trying to contend/compete, then using an asset to turn Pau into a more helpful player on a long deal may be worth it. Dumping him for cap space does not make sense, though.

Drom John
05-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Pau Gasol
96th in Real Plus-Minus Wins in 2017-2018
95th Aaron Gordon, 97th Andre Iguodala

Nikola Pekovic
96th in salary
$12,100,000.