PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Klay Thompson, Warriors reportedly discussing team-friendly contract extension

ducks
05-11-2018, 04:30 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/klay-thompson-warriors-reportedly-discussing-team-friendly-contract-extension-192105938.html

Knows if he wants max he is going to be traded or gone

Or warriors are paying on the side

SpursforSix
05-11-2018, 04:32 PM
here's Curry giving McGee a friendly extension

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2018/0511/r367088_2_1296x729_16-9.jpg

AlexJones
05-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Bad move for the Warriors

daslicer
05-11-2018, 04:58 PM
He's giving up a shit load of money to stay with the Warriors. If he ever gets traded after signing the extension then he will come across as a sucker.

daslicer
05-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Bad move for the Warriors

How is it a bad move for the Warriors?

Spurtacular
05-11-2018, 05:50 PM
He's giving up a shit load of money to stay with the Warriors. If he ever gets traded after signing the extension then he will come across as a sucker.

Very easy to solve with a no-trade clause.

resistanze
05-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Very easy to solve with a no-trade clause.

They wouldn't even give Curry the no trade clause; he's not getting shit.

Spurtacular
05-11-2018, 06:32 PM

Then he should walk if they don't value him for his sacrifice.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2018, 06:38 PM
lol loyalty

Bynumite
05-11-2018, 06:56 PM
I salute the Warriors and their commitment to sending Lebron into retirement with 10 L's in the Finals. Very commendable.

Keep the friendly contracts rolling. Salute :toast

baseline bum
05-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Curry didn't take a discount though.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2018, 07:01 PM
so whats the gsw luxury tax bill be like, since they are going to be repeaters of the lux tax?

someone will get traded...

resistanze
05-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Curry didn't take a discount though.

True, but Klay is like their 4th most important player. He doesn't have the clout for the conversation imo.

I don't get why someone like Klay wouldn't chase the supermax somewhere else like the Lakers. SoCal, endorsements, and rings doesn't elevate the status of a player like Thompson.

resistanze
05-11-2018, 07:23 PM
I salute the Warriors and their commitment to sending Lebron into retirement with 10 L's in the Finals. Very commendable.

LeBron will be universally remembered as top 3 all-time regardless of how his career plays out from now. You should be worried about Durant leapfrogging Kobe in the next 2-3 years at this rate :lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2018, 07:28 PM
this clown also has a 80m shoe deal with some chinese company

while kawhi hahaha cant even get a 80m shoe deal?

baseline bum
05-11-2018, 07:36 PM
True, but Klay is like their 4th most important player. He doesn't have the clout for the conversation imo.

Klay is an obvious max player so if he's taking a $36 million pay cut he most certainly has that kind of clout.

DMC
05-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Damn, people here are fickle as fuck. They call a player a faggot for taking money over being competitive, and a faggot for being competitive over money. You can't win with some of these assholes.

Obviously he loves his job, loves where he lives, knows more money in a worse job situation won't make him happy. He's set.

Ice009
05-11-2018, 09:29 PM
this clown also has a 80m shoe deal with some chinese company

while kawhi hahaha cant even get a 80m shoe deal?

Are you sure Klay's shoe deal is that much? I've never heard of any Chinese shoe company giving out that big of a contract.

daslicer
05-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Damn, people here are fickle as fuck. They call a player a faggot for taking money over being competitive, and a faggot for being competitive over money. You can't win with some of these assholes.

Obviously he loves his job, loves where he lives, knows more money in a worse job situation won't make him happy. He's set.

TBH people just want to see the Warriors fall apart. I was hoping Klay would want the max and thus causing him to leave the Warriors and making them weaker in the process. Anyways it is what it is. At the rate things are going the Warriors are going to go on a Bill Russel Celtics like run .

ElNono
05-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Meanwhile lel Sperms discussing a team-killing contract extension with Porker... smdh

Fabbs
05-11-2018, 10:52 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2018/0511/r367088_2_1296x729_16-9.jpg
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CheeryInnocentBengaltiger-size_restricted.gif

Killakobe81
05-12-2018, 01:40 AM
TBH people just want to see the Warriors fall apart. I was hoping Klay would want the max and thus causing him to leave the Warriors and making them weaker in the process. Anyways it is what it is. At the rate things are going the Warriors are going to go on a Bill Russel Celtics like run .

they will not three peat ...calling it now.

Stabula
05-12-2018, 02:44 AM
Klay to the Spurs

Down Under
05-12-2018, 03:33 AM
Plenty of other 3 & D guys available...

RsxPiimp
05-12-2018, 07:43 AM
they will not three peat ...calling it now.

explain killa

dfens
05-12-2018, 08:22 AM
very easy to understand.

the endorsement he gets for being on goldencucks >>>> 50 mil over those years.
also no trade clause.
add in the nice weather, hoes and yearly deep run and it's a wrap tbh.

also there's always some shit under the table.

Raven
05-12-2018, 08:45 AM

this

Fabbs
05-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Meanwhile lel Sperms discussing a team-killing contract extension with Porker... smdh
what's the opposite of *lite years ahead*.

Maybe we can get some saying describing the current PATFO.
"Stuck in the tar pits"?

SpurOutofTownFan
05-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Nah. this is the last year they can actually win it all. They will not be able to keep it all together contracts-wise. Warriors will try to commit to Curry and KD only. They know everyone else is fair game. But those 2 guys alone will eat 70-75% of the cake.

ambchang
05-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Can’t blame Klay. SAN Fran is a fantastic city for homosexuals.

TimDunkem
05-13-2018, 10:52 PM
what's the opposite of *lite years ahead*.

Maybe we can get some saying describing the current PATFO.
"Stuck in the tar pits"?

Can you blame them for being stuck in the tar pits? That's the only place the Spurs can look for players willing to sign with them.

Fabbs
05-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Can you blame them for being stuck in the tar pits? That's the only place the Spurs can look for players willing to sign with them.
100% yes.
What star FA who wants a Championship is going to sign with the Spurs after they saw the Paddy Mills / Pao Gasol bullshit?
Running the other way.

resistanze
05-15-2018, 04:12 PM

I thought the issue here is that him taking less has no impact to keeping the team together? They already have his Bird Rights, so they can pay luxury tax to keep the team together even if he wants the max next summer.

I mean I guess the Warriors can choose not to pay up and let him walk, but I can't see that...

spurraider21
05-15-2018, 04:47 PM
yeah... duncan signed for 3/30 on a ridiculous bargain deal. then played for 5 mil in his final year (though he also got 5 mil after retiring, spread over 3 years). duncan also took a 2/40 extension when he was eligible for about 2/50.

manu signed for 2.8 so we could bring in aldridge

i'm all for home-grown players taking team friendly deals

The Gemini Method
05-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Can’t blame Klay. SAN Fran is a fantastic city for homosexuals. Especially true if he didn't bang Abigail Ratchford when he had the opportunity...

DMC
05-17-2018, 11:25 PM
I thought the issue here is that him taking less has no impact to keeping the team together? They already have his Bird Rights, so they can pay luxury tax to keep the team together even if he wants the max next summer.

I mean I guess the Warriors can choose not to pay up and let him walk, but I can't see that...

Eventually a dynasty will have to cash in. I'm sure they are making money now, but if you look back through history of the NBA, minus the 8 team version... you'll almost invariably see teams part ways with key pieces after 3 or 4 runs to the Finals. If it's Mark Cuban, 1 run.

dbestpro
05-21-2018, 05:51 PM
I would like to see Thompson on another team just to see how good he is. Could he carry a team?

daslicer
05-21-2018, 05:53 PM
I would like to see Thompson on another team just to see how good he is. Could he carry a team?

I don't think he could carry a team but on any other team he would still get 20 points along with still being an all-star.

resistanze
05-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Eventually a dynasty will have to cash in. I'm sure they are making money now, but if you look back through history of the NBA, minus the 8 team version... you'll almost invariably see teams part ways with key pieces after 3 or 4 runs to the Finals. If it's Mark Cuban, 1 run.

lol

Seems like in this case, they're ways away from cashing in. If I'm Klay Thompson, no way I'm taking a discount for a team whose value has increased by a factor of 10 since I was drafted, just to save luxury 'tax' (it's not a god damn tax; it's self imposed and redistributed by owners based on their own CBA).

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2018, 06:38 PM
He's going to take them for everything he's worth

DMC
05-23-2018, 06:28 AM
lol

Seems like in this case, they're ways away from cashing in. If I'm Klay Thompson, no way I'm taking a discount for a team whose value has increased by a factor of 10 since I was drafted, just to save luxury 'tax' (it's not a god damn tax; it's self imposed and redistributed by owners based on their own CBA).

He wouldn't be doing it for them that's just the way it's being spun. He doesn't want to go somewhere else where he's going to be struggling with the rest of the shitty team to be in the spotlight. Look at the Bucks the Timberwolves and the Knicks. No one is watching those teams play outside of their respective areas. Even as a third wheel on Golden State he is getting more attention than he would as a first option in those places. He's not going to make a billion dollars but he's already set for life so that extra money isn't going to change his life I don't think but moving somewhere else and putting himself in a bad situation could. That would make it hard for him to get out of it.

I think a lot of players spend their entire career trying to get into a position like what he's in. He's already there I see no reason for him to go anywhere to be honest. He's not the number one option, he's not going to feel the pressure of a number one option but he will have moments of that. He will be in the limelight with people who do have that pressure. He will get paid millions of dollars. He will probably be in the finals year after year for at least two or three more years if the team sticks together. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

DMC
05-23-2018, 06:32 AM

Depends on what you mean by carry a team. If you mean carry a team to the finals then probably not. I think LeBron James is the only player in the league who can do that and then only in the east. I think he could be the best scorer on a team and he's a he's a good defender so I think he would be a very valuable part of the team but they still need a good point guard.

Any team willing to pay him the money people think he's worth would not put him as a primary ball handler or first option type player simply because he works best off the ball moving around like Rip Hamilton.

I always feel like a point guard is the first option of any offense since he is the person normally bringing the ball up court so if he sees an opening he should take it.

LkrFan
05-23-2018, 07:11 AM

:rollin :lmao :rollin

RsxPiimp
05-23-2018, 07:39 AM
He wouldn't be doing it for them that's just the way it's being spun. He doesn't want to go somewhere else where he's going to be struggling with the rest of the shitty team to be in the spotlight. Look at the Bucks the Timberwolves and the Knicks. No one is watching those teams play outside of their respective areas. Even as a third wheel on Golden State he is getting more attention than he would as a first option in those places. He's not going to make a billion dollars but he's already set for life so that extra money isn't going to change his life I don't think but moving somewhere else and putting himself in a bad situation could. That would make it hard for him to get out of it.

I think a lot of players spend their entire career trying to get into a position like what he's in. He's already there I see no reason for him to go anywhere to be honest. He's not the number one option, he's not going to feel the pressure of a number one option but he will have moments of that. He will be in the limelight with people who do have that pressure. He will get paid millions of dollars. He will probably be in the finals year after year for at least two or three more years if the team sticks together. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

resistanze
05-23-2018, 09:54 AM

Agree, he's in a sweet spot. In his home state, third option, generally doesn't get flack for bad performances, enjoys winning basketball. That meme for after he scored 5 points in the Finals is actually spot on tbh :lol

What I meant more from my previous post was that I don't think he needs to take a discount to stay in GSW. I simply can't see management letting him walk away if he wants max (or near max) - he's too hard to replace for a similar skill set and you'd end up taking a cap hit to sign a free agent from probably not that less of a contract (versus already having his Bird Rights and just sucking it up and paying luxury tax). I mean, this report could be total BS, because I feel like Klay's leverage is really selling being sold real short. I don't see why he would have to take 50-80 million less to stay in GSW.

spurraider21
05-23-2018, 11:01 AM
i doubt it. before durant got there, he showed he could be a very good #2 optino on a championship team. but he doesn't have the skill set to be the guy the rest of the team relies on to create. he can have his moments creating shots, but that's not his forte. stojakovic led the kings with 24 ppg in 2004, so i could see klay being the top scorer on a team, but he'd need the right cast to make that work. peja at that point had bibby, webber, brad miller as good teammates who would be able to find him as a shooter.