PDA

View Full Version : Canada facing ‘brain drain’ as young tech talent leaves for Silicon Valley

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Canada’s best and brightest computer engineering graduates are leaving for jobs in Silicon Valley at alarmingly high rates, fuelling a worse “brain drain” than the mass exodus by Canadian doctors two decades ago, according to a new study.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/article-canada-facing-brain-drain-as-young-tech-talent-leaves-for-silicon/

Flashback:

Donald Trump presidency has some Americans looking north
Within hours of Donald Trump's victory in the U.S. presidential election, Ottawa immigration lawyer Julie Taub found herself fielding a flurry of calls from Americans seeking to move to Canada.
"I knew there was going to be an emotional reaction," said Taub, who received six calls from residents in Upstate New York in a span of two hours.
Taub said she expected a spike in interest after noticing the Canadian government's immigration website had crashed (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-immigration-website-crash-presidential-election-1.3845080) during election night. The department confirmed Thursday a torrent of U.S. visitors on election night contributed to the crash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/trump-election-clinton-loss-drives-immigration-canada-1.3844242

:lmao

Spurminator
05-13-2018, 01:35 PM
From Bernie Bro to Trumptard in the blink of an eye.

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Irrelevant.

Spurminator
05-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Irrelevant.

So is the CBC article, but here we are. :cheer

Pavlov
05-13-2018, 01:48 PM
You're crowing about their going to California?

lol

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 01:49 PM
You're crowing about their going to California?

lol

They are not just going to California. A decent percentage are because that's a major tech hub.

Spurminator
05-13-2018, 01:50 PM
They are not just going to California. A decent percentage are because that's a major tech hub.

Right, they're also going to Silicon Valley, Alabama, and Silicon Valley, Kansas, as noted in the article you posted.

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Right, they're also going to Silicon Valley, Alabama, and Silicon Valley, Kansas, as noted in the article you posted.

There are many cities in the US to get tech jobs.

Pavlov
05-13-2018, 02:06 PM
They are not just going to California. A decent percentage are because that's a major tech hub.Your article says they're going to California, Washington state and New York.

lol

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Your article says they're going to California, Washington state and New York.

lol

So not just California.

The article also mentions the cities with the highest tech salaries adjusted against San Francisco. I'm pretty sure people are also going to those cities.

Pavlov
05-13-2018, 02:17 PM
So not just California.You're crowing about their going to California, Seattle and New York.

lol

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 02:41 PM
You're crowing about their going to California, Seattle and New York.

lol

Like I said it's not just those states either. Also I'm not "crowing" for any state but I am taking a shot at paradise Canada.

Pavlov
05-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Like I said it's not just those states either. Also I'm not "crowing" for any state but I am taking a shot at paradise Canada.By saying Canadian tech workers moved to paradise California, Seattle and New York.

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 03:12 PM
By saying Canadian tech workers moved to paradise California, Seattle and New York.

By saying they moved to the States. If Dems had their way they'd run the country just like Canada. In fact I distinctly remember California/Seattle idiots on the internet asking if they could join Canada. If that were a possibility and you throw in open borders on top that then the talent and those companies would overtime leave those areas for the remaining states.

Pavlov
05-13-2018, 03:23 PM
By saying they moved to the States.The states of California, New York and Washington.

lol

boutons_deux
05-13-2018, 03:34 PM
If Dems had their way they'd run the country just like Canada.

... sure, Canada, nearly all Western European countries, are run a lot better than USA. The oligarchy and their Repug whores over that past 40 years have degraded USA on many int'l metrics. And USA is gonna get a lot worse as the oligarchy keeps up their onslaught

ElNono
05-13-2018, 06:24 PM
California good now

AaronY
05-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Thank God California keeps saving the American economy tbh

ElNono
05-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Thank God California keeps saving the American economy tbh

tbh, California's economy is larger than Canada...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/10/heres-how-big-californias-economy-really-is/

AaronY
05-13-2018, 07:06 PM
tbh, California's economy is larger than Canada...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/10/heres-how-big-californias-economy-really-is/
With this new tax plan a lot of red states are going to be California's welfare babies I understand which is nice

AaronY
05-13-2018, 07:06 PM
I mean i love to help out the underprivileged and they would qualify

Mikeanaro
05-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Thats the kind of inmigrants Trump wants (the good ones).

DMX7
05-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Are they going to West Virginia too? To work the mines perhaps?

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 11:02 PM

Absolutely. I'm not sure why people want unskilled illegals or immigrants in this country. Meanwhile they also talk about basic income and the loss of millions of jobs from automation. There is no logical consistency behind those two ideas.

Isitjustme?
05-13-2018, 11:08 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271969

Absolutely. I'm not sure why people want unskilled illegals or immigrants in this country. Meanwhile they also talk about basic income and the loss of millions of jobs from automation. There is no logical consistency behind those two ideas.
Speaking of logical consistency

boutons_deux
05-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Are they going to West Virginia too? To work the mines perhaps?

read today there are more librarians in USA now than coal miners, and of course many times more wind/solar jobs than coal jobs.

Nathan89
05-13-2018, 11:43 PM

Speaking of logical consistency

My comment on elnono's thread yesterday about h1

"Skilled workers is mostly fine except for the fact that it hides the faults in our education system. Illegals need to go and the bar for legal needs to be raised."

Overall you better take skilled immigrants unless you want to tank your country. Also I didn't see a source for what you noticed.

The inconsistency of supporting illegals or low skilled immigrants goes much further because they are detrimental to the country at the very core. For example, illegals are detrimental to poor Americans (which means disproportionately black Americans) but Dems are supposed to be for those people.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
05-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Certainly not anybody from shitholes like Argentina.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
05-14-2018, 12:17 AM
With this new tax plan a lot of red states are going to be California's welfare babies I understand which is nice
:lmao

boutons_deux
05-14-2018, 12:23 AM
"illegals are detrimental to poor Americans (which means disproportionately black Americans)"

evidence?

a couple years ago, there was a paucity of illegal immigrant farm workers in Georgia, farmers were hurting, advertised in ATL, etc. effectively didn't get enough Americans, any color, to ease their hurt.

Farm work is hard, hazardous (chemicals), and employers underpay hours, steal wages, rape the workers, or let supervisor rape them. There's a reason Repugs have NEVER approved an immigration plan, eg, the rural employers need illegal immigrants. Trash/Sessions/DHS must be pissing off rural farm owners

Quadzilla99
05-14-2018, 12:37 AM

:lol literally posting from one of the "shithole" countries

ElNono
05-14-2018, 12:59 AM

hey

:lol

Pavlov
05-14-2018, 01:01 AM
read today there are more librarians in USA now than coal miners, and of course many times more wind/solar jobs than coal jobs.More people work at Arby's than in coal mines.

Nathan89
05-14-2018, 01:17 AM
"illegals are detrimental to poor Americans (which means disproportionately black Americans)"

evidence?

a couple years ago, there was a paucity of illegal immigrant farm workers in Georgia, farmers were hurting, advertised in ATL, etc. effectively didn't get enough Americans, any color, to ease their hurt.

Farm work is hard, hazardous (chemicals), and employers underpay hours, steal wages, rape the workers, or let supervisor rape them. There's a reason Repugs have NEVER approved an immigration plan, eg, the rural employers need illegal immigrants. Trash/Sessions/DHS must be pissing off rural farm owners

"As a result, immigration contributes to an already-existing surplus of low-skilled workers, increasing job competition and driving down wages and conditions to the detriment of American workers. The presence of a large illegal workforce perpetuates a vicious cycle as degraded work conditions discourage Americans from seeking these jobs and make employers more dependent on an illegal foreign workforce. America’s massive low-skill labor force and illegal alien population allow employers to offer low pay and deplorable conditions."

https://www.fairus.org/issue/workforce-economy/immigration-poverty-and-low-wage-earners-harmful-effects-unskilled

Mikeanaro
05-14-2018, 01:55 AM
From anywhere, all of them are much more capable than you so have a sit and cry.

AaronY
05-14-2018, 02:42 AM
From anywhere, all of them are much more capable than you so have a sit and cry.
thats telling em

AaronY
05-14-2018, 02:44 AM
"As a result, immigration contributes to an already-existing surplus of low-skilled workers, increasing job competition and driving down wages and conditions to the detriment of American workers. The presence of a large illegal workforce perpetuates a vicious cycle as degraded work conditions discourage Americans from seeking these jobs and make employers more dependent on an illegal foreign workforce. America’s massive low-skill labor force and illegal alien population allow employers to offer low pay and deplorable conditions."

https://www.fairus.org/issue/workforce-economy/immigration-poverty-and-low-wage-earners-harmful-effects-unskilled
oh look he copy and pasted a thought for himself

sickdsm
05-14-2018, 07:57 AM

evidence?

You have statistics to back that up?

Govt paying half the wages for migrant workers since shitty Americans are lazy. They'd rather be like Bouton's and bitch about lack of jobs because they live in shithole areas (apparently big cities don't have any opportunities)

Seriously, where is all this rampant raping going on? Is it a Southern thing?