PDA

View Full Version : Lowe & Simmons: Would guess Leonard is traded to one of L.A. teams

TD 21
05-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Starting around the 1 hour, 6 minute mark . . .

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=23503087

Lowe was clear that this was merely a guess, that he didn't feel great about it and that he could easily be playing for the Spurs next season. Simmons sounded more assured and went Clippers, Lakers, 76ers, while saying 76ers could make the best offer.

Mugen
05-14-2018, 07:03 PM
Fuck Kawhi tbh...

CGD
05-14-2018, 07:07 PM
What can the Lakers possibly offer that the spurs would want.

ducks
05-14-2018, 07:10 PM
Leonard thread

AFBlue
05-14-2018, 07:12 PM
So tired of talking heads speculating based on absolutely nothing.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 07:18 PM
Nothing new being added to the conversation here.

cd021
05-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Nothing good really. Ingram is a pretty polarizing prospect, it seems. Ball has fit issues with Murray and,l his dad is 10x worse than Kawhi's Uncle, in terms of distraction, and behind the scenes drama.

Kuzma is decent and Randle is good but they also don't have much draft assets and they would probably be late 1st rounder's anyways.

Clippers have Harris and the 12th and 13th picks, that is the beginning of a trade package but needs more.

noles1983
05-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Why would they trade him to any team in the West? Pretty sure they would take less to send the autistic fucker to the other conference.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 07:29 PM
The Lakers can offer 2 things SA wants (although one is unlikely): Some young players with decent upside (Ingram/Kuz/Ball - Randle is likely out since he’s due a larger contract) & ability to eat bad deals (Pau/Mills).

Depends on what SA wants but getting Ingram/Kuz + a pick + maybe dumping Pau without having to give up an asset may be the best deal since SA will have a ton of immediate cap space with Kawhi’s current 19M going out along with Pau’s money and getting much, much less money coming back.

gambit1990
05-14-2018, 07:33 PM
do not want lakers’ trash.

exstatic
05-14-2018, 07:38 PM
The Lakers can offer 2 things SA wants (although one is unlikely): Some young players with decent upside (Ingram/Kuz/Ball - Randle is likely out since he’s due a larger contract) & ability to eat bad deals (Pau/Mills).

Depends on what SA wants but getting Ingram/Kuz + a pick + maybe dumping Pau without having to give up an asset may be the best deal since SA will have a ton of immediate cap space with Kawhi’s current 19M going out along with Pau’s money and getting much, much less money coming back.

That laker package flat sucks. They’re NEVER taking Ball in any deal. I’d rather the Spurs take the Clips package, with a decent young SF, and two lottery picks than sift through Jim Buss and Kupchacks trash pile of mistakes.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 07:39 PM
I agree, but I’m saying what LA has. Ingram/Kuz + 25th pick + eating Pau’s money might appeal more to SA than Harris + 12th + 13th and having to use an asset to dump Pau or Mills.

Dverde
05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
LAL would be foolish to go after him now. Get Paul George and keep your good young players. Clippers make more sense and seem desperate to make a deal.

pad300
05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
That laker package flat sucks. They’re NEVER taking Ball in any deal. I’d rather the Spurs take the Clips package, with a decent young SF, and two lottery picks than sift through Jim Buss and Kupchacks trash pile of mistakes.

I could see them setting up a deal where they get Ball and move him for further assets... Especially if they had the second deal pre-arranged.

FkLA
05-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Ingram wouldn't be that bad. He's what, like only 20 still? Hes a much better offensive player than Kawhi was at that age. Ingram, Kuz, and Randle would be solid, imho. I think PopaGOAT would get the most out of those young guys just like Stevens is out of his.

Never going to replace Kiwi's defense though and won't be a serious threat to GS or even Houston probably.

spurraider21
05-14-2018, 08:18 PM
lol they're not going to send all 3

plus randle will be stupid expensive

cd98
05-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Bill Simmons default take is always that a superstar will sign in LA or Boston. That’s the extent of his analysis.

tholdren
05-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Lonzo

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Ingram wouldn't be that bad. He's what, like only 20 still? Hes a much better offensive player than Kawhi was at that age. Ingram, Kuz, and Randle would be solid, imho. I think PopaGOAT would get the most out of those young guys just like Stevens is out of his.

Never going to replace Kiwi's defense though and won't be a serious threat to GS or even Houston probably.

Randle is likely out. He’s a free agent and due money.

tholdren
05-14-2018, 08:21 PM
Bill Simmons default take is always that a superstar will sign in LA or Boston. That’s the extent of his analysis.

Better than cowherd

FkLA
05-14-2018, 08:22 PM
They'd be stupid to play hardball and not just dangle all three of them if they are serious about getting PG+Kawhi/LeBron.

edit: nevermind I thought Handle had 1 more year left on rookie deal

Seventyniner
05-14-2018, 08:36 PM
I agree, but I’m saying what LA has. Ingram/Kuz + 25th pick + eating Pau’s money might appeal more to SA than Harris + 12th + 13th and having to use an asset to dump Pau or Mills.

I see your point, but supposedly Mills is enough of a positive player that it wouldn't necessarily take an asset to get rid of his contract. His deal is hardly unfriendly to a team nowhere near the cap. I will admit to not having looked at which specific teams will have cap space, though.

Is it possible to waive and stretch Pau's salary now? If I understand right, he is due $22.8M guaranteed over the next two years ($16.8M this year, $6M next), so the stretch would be over 5 years (twice the remainder of the contract plus one year). That's only $4.6M per year against the cap, a $12.2M savings for this year.

What free agents are worth pursuing with cap space this summer? Another thing I haven't looked at, usually I wait for writeups between the Finals and the draft.

Clipper Nation
05-14-2018, 08:39 PM
LAL would be foolish to go after him now. Get Paul George and keep your good young players. Clippers make more sense and seem desperate to make a deal.
There has literally been no indication that the Clippers are "desperate" to make any deal. Simmons knows nothing about the Clippers and is, in fact, a huge Clippers hater despite owning season tickets.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 08:46 PM
I see your point, but supposedly Mills is enough of a positive player that it wouldn't necessarily take an asset to get rid of his contract. His deal is hardly unfriendly to a team nowhere near the cap. I will admit to not having looked at which specific teams will have cap space, though.

Is it possible to waive and stretch Pau's salary now? If I understand right, he is due $22.8M guaranteed over the next two years ($16.8M this year, $6M next), so the stretch would be over 5 years (twice the remainder of the contract plus one year). That's only $4.6M per year against the cap, a $12.2M savings for this year.

What free agents are worth pursuing with cap space this summer? Another thing I haven't looked at, usually I wait for writeups between the Finals and the draft.

I think Mills is a positive enough to where they wouldn’t have to give up an asset to move him but who knows. You can waive a player any time, just makes no sense to with Pau and won’t happen. If Rudy/Danny opt in then cap space isn’t really possible.

Dverde
05-14-2018, 08:47 PM
There has literally been no indication that the Clippers are "desperate" to make any deal. Simmons knows nothing about the Clippers and is, in fact, a huge Clippers hater despite owning season tickets.

They lost Blake Griffen, Chris Paul and have no face for the team. Their season tickets sales will plummet with no draft hope in sight. There is no literal “desperation”, but I can see them doing whatever it takes to get the Kiwi.

tbdog
05-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Leonard to lakers would only work if the Spurs know they can get a stud in free agency, like George or Lebron. If you got Kuz, Ingham, 1st and George, your probably better, despite Leonard being the best player in the trade. At least George, you know, plays.

Another option if studs are out, spurs could go covington, Saric, Holmes, then get two of Barton/bradley/evans/favours if Gasol went to the sixers. I much prefer Leonard to stay as none of these players are star material.

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Son you have Doc, Doc Jr and DeAndre Jordan as your big 3 - you desperate as hell :lol

r0drig0lac
05-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Son you have Doc, Doc Jr and DeAndre Jordan as your big 3 - you desperate as hell :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

wildbill2u
05-14-2018, 09:05 PM

The race doesn't always go to the swiftest, nor the tournament to the best short game---but that's the way to bet.

CGD
05-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Randle is likely out. He’s a free agent and due money.

This. Plus Spurs don’t want the Lonzo side show, and the Lakers Pick is shit. If they add Leonard and possibly George/Lebron then their future picks will also be shit. I just don’t see it even if Ingram is decent.

CGD
05-14-2018, 09:15 PM

LOL! So true.

Dverde
05-14-2018, 09:16 PM
What he said

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 09:24 PM
a moment of silence please for deandre getting back-savaged by his forever besties

basically he got catfished IRL by cp3 and blake

Shoulda gone to Dallas he saiddddddd

SpurOutofTownFan
05-14-2018, 09:37 PM
What can the 76ers realistically offer that the Spurs would want?

DPG21920
05-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Fultz + a top 10 pick.

CGD
05-14-2018, 10:19 PM
What can the 76ers realistically offer that the Spurs would want?

Fultz + Saric + 10 + stashed pick/2nd

If Philly plans to move on from Redick the teams can also swap Mills and Convington.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Fultz + Saric + 10 + stashed pick/2nd

If Philly plans to move on from Redick the teams can also swap Mills and Convington.

Thanks

goliath
05-14-2018, 11:04 PM
Lowe is a good nba writer but basically says nothing on this. “It’s just a guess”. “Doesn’t feel great about it”. “Could easily be playing for the Spurs”. So basically you don’t have any idea. Plus he will back up and follow whatever Simmons says because Simmons first hired him at grantland years back.

Simmons used to be a good writer (who never writes anymore). But has dropped off drastically since he left/was fired from ESPN. He brought up the Clipper trade as a what if like a month ago on a podcast and admitted it was based on nothing but guesswork on his part. Now he obviously has convinced himself of the validity of it

goliath
05-14-2018, 11:07 PM
On the same podcast from a month ago Simmons said he thought the spurs would go for it because Tobias Harris would give the Spurs 80% of what a healthy Kawhi would give. The guy he was doing the podcast with, I think his buddy House, burst out laughing at that

Clipper Nation
05-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Did you see how the Warriors obliterated the Rockets tonight? The Clippers aren't one Kawhi Leonard away from contention or relevance - especially if he's going to turn out to be the next Orlando Grant Hill, warming the bench in a suit the whole time. I'm pretty sure West realizes this.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-15-2018, 02:30 AM
It has been said time and time again that Pop doesn't want to deal his players to western conference foes, much less the Lakers, and yet here we go again.
The only way Kawhi goes to the Lakers is if he refuses to sign an extension, basically guaranteeing he walks at the end of next season, causing his suitors to refuse to offer decent compensation for a possible rental of Kawhi's services.

Othyus Lalanne
05-15-2018, 02:44 AM
i just wanna know what team i am rooting for already. Hope Gino has 3 more efficient years in him.

MR-Clutch
05-15-2018, 03:42 AM
Boston is ideal trade partner: Kawhi for brown or Tatum,Rozier,Morris and Monroe .throw in sacs 2019 1st rounder and the Memphis 2019 or 2020 pick.

Also like trading leonard to the knicks for porzingis and filler and their lotto pick and next years 1st

szkorhetz
05-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Boston is ideal trade partner: Kawhi for brown or Tatum,Rozier,Morris and Monroe .throw in sacs 2019 1st rounder and the Memphis 2019 or 2020 pick.

Also like trading leonard to the knicks for porzingis and filler and their lotto pick and next years 1st
Why would Boston do this, tbh?

The only way we can deal with Boston if we get Hayward. They simply won't pay more than 50 Millions for two players playing the same position...

eDizzle20
05-15-2018, 05:53 AM
Tonight will clear draft pick uncertainty. If one or both of the Clippers picks lands in the top 10 then they become solid contenders, but as most have stated more than likely he’ll go east if they trade him.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Did you see how the Warriors obliterated the Rockets tonight? The Clippers aren't one Kawhi Leonard away from contention or relevance - especially if he's going to turn out to be the next Orlando Grant Hill, warming the bench in a suit the whole time. I'm pretty sure West realizes this.

You don’t win the race by staying crouched in the starting blocks, and Kawhi gives you a better shot than 12 and 13.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Tonight will clear draft pick uncertainty. If one or both of the Clippers picks lands in the top 10 then they become solid contenders, but as most have stated more than likely he’ll go east if they trade him.

They can only jump into the top 3, or remain where they are. Actually, if 14 jumps into the top 3, they could each bump back one slot. Only the first 3 picks are drawn. After that, they are slotted by draft order.

BackHome
05-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Please remember all this shit can and should be avoided if Kawhi would just be a man and step up to the mic and say a few ducking words.

tmtcsc
05-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Fultz + a top 10 pick.

Salaries don't match. That's a problem isnt it? Or is there some rule that allows them to not take back the same amount of $$?

tmtcsc
05-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Please remember all this shit can and should be avoided if Kawhi would just be a man and step up to the mic and say a few ducking words.

For Spurs to offer Leonard the Super Max, dude needs to show he has recovered from his injury.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Salaries don't match. That's a problem isnt it? Or is there some rule that allows them to not take back the same amount of $$?

They could take more if they have cap room, although they probably want to preserve it. As long as what they send is either a legit asset, or an ending contract, I'm down with it.

Clipper Nation
05-15-2018, 09:34 AM
You don’t win the race by staying crouched in the starting blocks, and Kawhi gives you a better shot than 12 and 13.
You don't "win the race" at all as long as the Warriors exist. Especially when their bitchmade players collude to take pay cuts and stay together because they're afraid of competition.

At this point, it's futile to go all-in on a "win now" move because you'll just end up being one of the other teams on the Warriors' championship highlight reel.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 09:43 AM
You don't "win the race" at all as long as the Warriors exist. Especially when their bitchmade players collude to take pay cuts and stay together because they're afraid of competition.

At this point, it's futile to go all-in on a "win now" move because you'll just end up being one of the other teams on the Warriors' championship highlight reel.

Nest year's Warriors payroll will be $400M, including the tax. The 'discount' that is being talked about for Klay is $80 fucking million dollars over the life of the contract if he extends instead of playing out next year and getting his MAX. His dad, as a former player who understands the lifespan of a career, will likely talk him out of that. This thing WILL fall apart, and it will happen quickly, likely within a year or two. It's unsustainable under the tax penalty rules, even with some slight discounting by the players. The tax penalty will pretty much wipe those out, and then some. The contract that will kill them is Iggy. He's making $14M to produce a PER of 11. He has two years after this one.

rjv
05-15-2018, 09:52 AM
So tired of talking heads speculating based on absolutely nothing.

....and ST for that matter.

Clipper Nation
05-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Nest year's Warriors payroll will be $400M, including the tax. The 'discount' that is being talked about for Klay is $80 fucking million dollars over the life of the contract if he extends instead of playing out next year and getting his MAX. His dad, as a former player who understands the lifespan of a career, will likely talk him out of that. This thing WILL fall apart, and it will happen quickly, likely within a year or two. It's unsustainable under the tax penalty rules, even with some slight discounting by the players. The tax penalty will pretty much wipe those out, and then some. The contract that will kill them is Iggy. He's making $14M to produce a PER of 11. He has two years after this one.
The Warriors are a team full of anti-competitive cowards. They'll find a way to stay together for the long haul. They all fear competition too much to go their separate ways.

Spurs da champs
05-15-2018, 12:14 PM
The Warriors are a team full of anti-competitive cowards. They'll find a way to stay together for the long haul. They all fear competition too much to go their separate ways.

KD is the one that really applies too, Curry, Donkey, & Klay not so much or at all tbh.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Nah. At some point, they will have enough rings, and they'll want to cash out. It's not like the Mickey Mouse Club can challenge Jordan. He didn't form a club, he just had his sidekick, his Robin in Pippen. They can't touch that legacy, even if they get 6 rings.

Clipper Nation
05-15-2018, 12:19 PM
KD is the one that really applies too, Curry, Donkey, & Klay not so much or at all tbh.

Curry, Donkey and Klay were the ones who spent their entire 73-win season begging Durbeta to join.

SpursDynasty85
05-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Nah. At some point, they will have enough rings, and they'll want to cash out. It's not like the Mickey Mouse Club can challenge Jordan. He didn't form a club, he just had his sidekick, his Robin in Pippen. They can't touch that legacy, even if they get 6 rings.

Which is wrong. Because Horace Grant was pretty much an all star in his days with the Bulls and then Jordan played with Rodman and Kukoc. Two more all stars. Still 6 out of 6 is untouchable even for the warriors.

Spurs da champs
05-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Curry, Donkey and Klay were the ones who spent their entire 73-win season begging Durbeta to join.

Just like everybody else, he's bitch who joined them. That dude levit quit in game 7 vs the Warriors.

SpursforSix
05-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Just like everybody else, he's bitch who joined them. That dude levit quit in game 7 vs the Warriors.

Yeah...up 3-1 over GSW. Just win one game out of 3. Can't do it and then quit and go to the team that beat you.

That's weak as shit. It's even weak as fuck.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Which is wrong. Because Horace Grant was pretty much an all star in his days with the Bulls and then Jordan played with Rodman and Kukoc. Two more all stars. Still 6 out of 6 is untouchable even for the warriors.

I'm not saying there was no talent on those Bulls teams, besides MJ and Pip. I'm saying that the equivalent would have been MJ feeling that he needed to recruit both Barkley and Malone so that they had 4 All NBA players.

Grant played in one ASG. Kukoc never did. Even so, after you vote the starters, select reserves, and then select injury replacements, you're likely bumping up close to 30 players. All-NBA is 15 guys, a much higher bar, IMHO.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 02:25 PM

If a team has enough space under the cap to absorb the difference, you don’t have to match.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 02:28 PM
No offense to the many people that share the “no one can beat the Warriors, so don’t worry about it now” crowd, but that is really dumb IMO. I mean, I can see why someone would think that.

If you have a chance to build a team that can get to the WCF you do it. Injuries happen, trades happen, many things happen.

You don’t pass up on deep playoff runs because you MIGHT be able to starve out GS for 4 years. Whose to say you will be good when they decline? There is no guarantee and that is even more risk than getting a Kawhi. You could always blow it up later if you want, but once you suck and stay there, it’s hard to get back to the top.

tholdren
05-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Fultz + a top 10 pick.

For danny green. Fultz is terrible

MaNu4Tres
05-15-2018, 10:55 PM

Warriors are fine.

They are located in Silicone Valley and have ties to great options in regards to investing. Klay will be paid handsomely on the back end through strategic investments they'll spoon feed to him.

Kevin Durant has had investments with Acorn, Postmates, The Players Tribune, and other tech companies since he joined the Warriors. That's where he's making up long term money. It was part of the Warriors pitch to KD. And I'm sure Lacob is doing the same with his money to pay for his team.

Warriors will keep.paying & their players are cool with taking pay cuts for obvious reasons.

exstatic
05-16-2018, 06:32 AM
Warriors are fine.

They are located in Silicone Valley and have ties to great options in regards to investing. Klay will be paid handsomely on the back end through strategic investments they'll spoon feed to him.

Kevin Durant has had investments with Acorn, Postmates, The Players Tribune, and other tech companies since he joined the Warriors. That's where he's making up long term money. It was part of the Warriors pitch to KD. And I'm sure Lacob is doing the same with his money to pay for his team.

Warriors will keep.paying & their players are cool with taking pay cuts for obvious reasons.

Kevin took a haircut of a couple million. Klay would lose $80M on an extension.

Any way, I’ll not convince you, nor the other way around. We’ll just have to wait and see. I don’t see the four stars model surviving past the summer of 2019.

FireMicoHalili
05-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Deals with Sacramento seem okay. I’d dump Leonard for the 2nd overall pick, Bogdanovic, Cauley-Stein, and two future first rounders. Sends Leonard back to California but not where he wants, gives the Spurs young assets to work with.

exstatic
05-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Deals with Sacramento seem okay. I’d dump Leonard for the 2nd overall pick, Bogdanovic, Cauley-Stein, and two future first rounders. Sends Leonard back to California but not where he wants, gives the Spurs young assets to work with.

The problem is that Sacto has already traded next year's pick. It belongs to Boston now. That means they cannot trade their 2020 pick, since that would be back to back first rounders traded out, and that's not allowed. If you want the picks in any prospective deal, they would have to be 2021 and 2023. That's a long way out. Hell, they could fire Divac and actually right their ship by then.

Chillen
05-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Yeah...up 3-1 over GSW. Just win one game out of 3. Can't do it and then quit and go to the team that beat you.

That's weak as shit. It's even weak as fuck.

Yes but he was the missing piece to this Warriors team and he knew it. They won in 2015 with just Curry, Green, Thompson and lost to Cavs in 2016 with no KD.

Durant saw how good they were without him and knew they would be almost unstoppable with him.

It's weak but can't blame him for seeing he was the missing piece of the puzzle, even though it hurts the NBA a ton if you have one elite team and every other team playing catch up.

That Warriors-OKC series was so frustrating to watch because all the Thunder needed was one more win and it never happened.

Yes Durant is weak as fuck for joining the Warriors, but it does make sense even if it sucks for the leagues teams.

Warriors are a bunch of d-bags, not a hater but they are just not a likeable team at all.

dbestpro
05-16-2018, 07:17 PM

I would be curious to see what Klay Thompson could do on a team as the go to guy.

Seventyniner
05-16-2018, 08:49 PM
The problem is that Sacto has already traded next year's pick. It belongs to Boston now. That means they cannot trade their 2020 pick, since that would be back to back first rounders traded out, and that's not allowed. If you want the picks in any prospective deal, they would have to be 2021 and 2023. That's a long way out. Hell, they could fire Divac and actually right their ship by then.

You can do pick swaps. That's how the Celtics raped the Nets.

travis2
05-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Looking at this year's salaries, KL and Klay are about $1M apart...

exstatic
05-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Looking at this year's salaries, KL and Klay are about $1M apart...

Pop would never dump that POS on Kerr.

TD 21
05-21-2018, 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxTV6idnGv8

1:02:50 . . .

Simmons: Is there any chance Kawhi is on the Spurs next year?

Lowe: For sure. I would say, I would say, I don't know, something sub 50%, but not close to 0.

Simmons: I say, I say, 10. Say 10% chance.

Lowe: I would go 25-30.

Simmons: 10% chance. I don't see it.