PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports Mock Draft

SpurPadre
05-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Another undersized guard, smh...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-heres-where-we-stand-before-tuesdays-lottery-sets-the-draft-order/

18 Spurs
Khyri Thomas | Creighton | Jr | SG
Thomas is a two-time Big East Defensive Player of the Year -- one who used a 6-11 wingspan on a 6-3 frame to get into passing lanes and, in other ways, just make things difficult on opposing guards. He averaged 15.5 points and shot 41.1 percent from 3-point range as a junior. So anybody looking for a 3-and-D wing should give the Omaha native a serious look.

John B
05-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Was there ever one that they were right about with the Spurs pick? Ever? Nope :lol

alpha_HaZE
05-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Was there ever one that they were right about with the Spurs pick? Ever? Nope :lol

If I remember correctly last year someone picked Derrick White.

keithington1
05-14-2018, 10:36 PM
He's a great value Avery Bradley. I don't think he will be BPA

SilverSpur
05-15-2018, 12:10 AM
I say we trade our second round pick to move up in the first round, maybe up to 12

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 01:01 AM
I need draftexpress to play armchair gm :depressed

Dingle Barry
05-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Mmm hope we get another undersized sg to backup 50 mills

TheDoctor
05-15-2018, 06:20 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-heres-where-we-stand-before-tuesdays-lottery-sets-the-draft-order/

18 Spurs
Thomas is a two-time Big East Defensive Player of the Year -- one who used a 6-11 wingspan on a 6-3 frame to get into passing lanes and, in other ways, just make things difficult on opposing guards. He averaged 15.5 points and shot 41.1 percent from 3-point range as a junior. So anybody looking for a 3-and-D wing should give the Omaha native a serious look.
Hell no. What’s with people wanting undersized players for the Spurs?

Fuck.

r0drig0lac
05-15-2018, 06:29 AM
6'3''? no thanks

DaBears
05-15-2018, 10:00 AM
You heard it here 1st:

I am officially entering the 2018 NBA draft: 35 Yr old, little to no athleticism, decent mid range shooter, w/ deadly 3-pt accuracy & a 5'9 frame.. I am not even listed in the top 500, but i would be a perfect SPUR according to 1 of my best buds who plays at a local outdoor park..

TheGreatYacht
05-15-2018, 10:00 AM
https://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/spurs/Schad/img/Spurs/Headshots/rc.jpg

"Who said I couldn't get Paul and Khyri?"

My lord and savior. I always believed in you

rjv
05-15-2018, 10:23 AM
6'3''? no thanks

yeah, i saw the 6'11" wingspan and thought cool. then i saw 6'3" frame and thought meh.

TimDunkem
05-15-2018, 10:26 AM
https://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/spurs/Schad/img/Spurs/Headshots/rc.jpg

:lmao

SpursforSix
05-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Man...I would rather them jump on Z Smith if he makes it to them.

FireMicoHalili
05-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Can’t recall who but someone picked Milutinov and was correct

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 11:42 AM

If I remember correctly last year someone picked Derrick White.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268600

I predicted White last year. Post #3 in this thread:

This is my prediction for the Spurs tbh. Nice gritty journey. His upside should be better than a normal 23yo because he is a late bloomer. He came out of high school at 6ft. Pretty solid all around.

keithington1
05-15-2018, 01:51 PM
If he had the athleticism of Donavan Mitchell I'd be interested but he doesn't

cd98
05-15-2018, 03:21 PM
So wait. Who will we draft in the first round as the projected steal of the player everyone projected to be picked in the 2nd round?

TD 21
05-15-2018, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't call a 6'3'' guard, with a 6'11'' wingspan, who weights 210, small. If they're supposedly interested in Bradley, it stands to reason they could have interest in another 3 and D guard.

Not saying I necessarily want him or would do this, but for those who'd complain about a guard being drafted with 3 straight 1sts, they could draft him or another one and shop Murray or White to fill a need elsewhere. Everything should be under consideration, especially in the back court, which is both terrible and ill-fitting.

For an organization as conservative as this one, I'd be shocked to see anything outside the box though. I'm sure they'll draft their typical type (Jontay Porter looks and plays the part) and call it a day.

MaNu4Tres
05-15-2018, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't call a 6'3'' guard, with a 6'11'' wingspan, who weights 210, small. If they're supposedly interested in Bradley, it stands to reason they could have interest in another 3 and D guard.

Not saying I necessarily want him or would do this, but for those who'd complain about a guard being drafted with 3 straight 1sts, they could draft him or another one and shop Murray or White to fill a need elsewhere. Everything should be under consideration, especially in the back court, which is both terrible and ill-fitting.

For an organization as conservative as this one, I'd be shocked to see anything outside the box though. I'm sure they'll draft their typical type (Jontay Porter looks and plays the part) and call it a day.

I hate Jontay Porter. I hope they pass on him. Yeah he can shoot, but he lacks explosion, he seems soft to me. He can pass out of the PnR short roll and find the open man on the weakside but hes very bland overall. The ceiling is not there with him. He reminds me of best case Josh McRoberts but McRoberts had better athleticism and was more dynamic coming into the league.

These guys though.

Zhaire Smith
Kevin Knox
Lonnie Walker
Troy Brown Jr.
Mitchell Robinson

Any of those 5 and I'm pretty happy.

cd021
05-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Agreed. People seem to just be focusing on his height, his length rivals that of Kawhi-potentially allowing him to cover some 3's, depending on his body type and strength as well as both guard spots. He's also a solid and consistent 3pt shooter, shooting 39% on a pretty good amount of attempts over three seasons of college ball.

It would be a safe pick and he's nearly 22 so probably little upside but not a bad one necessarily, even with Murray and White already on the roster. But would prefer a big, however.

TD 21
05-15-2018, 06:08 PM
I hate Jontay Porter. I hope they pass on him. Yeah he can shoot, but he lacks explosion, he seems soft to me. He can pass out of the PnR short roll and find the open man on the weakside but hes very bland overall. The ceiling is not there with him. He reminds me of best case Josh McRoberts but McRoberts had better athleticism and was more dynamic coming into the league.

These guys though.

Zhaire Smith
Kevin Knox
Lonnie Walker
Troy Brown Jr.
Mitchell Robinson

Any of those 5 and I'm pretty happy.

He also lacks a position defensively. Not mobile enough to defend PFs (which are now mostly converted SFs or combo forwards) and not long enough to play C. Even an All-Star caliber player like Love is an awkward fit in today's game for that same reason.

Brown Jr. is the only one I could see them drafting. Knox and Walker aren't projected to be available at 18 and Robinson seems anti Spurs material. Can't pinpoint anything with Smith, just can't envision it.

Agreed. People seem to just be focusing on his height, his length rivals that of Kawhi-potentially allowing him to cover some 3's, depending on his body type and strength as well as both guard spots. He's also a solid and consistent 3pt shooter, shooting 39% on a pretty good amount of attempts over three seasons of college ball.

It would be a safe pick and he's nearly 22 so probably little upside but not a bad one necessarily, even with Murray and White already on the roster. But would prefer a big, however.

Not seeing an intriguing big, outside of Robinson, whose probably a no go for them, projected to be available at 18 or that wouldn't be a reach.

Brown Jr. could make sense, so long as they're confident in his developing into a respectable or better shooter. Perimeter size and play making are significant issues going forward.

CGD
05-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Have they done the order yet? Can’t seem to find it

TheGreatYacht
05-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Have they done the order yet? Can’t seem to find it
1. Suns
2. Kings
3. Hawks
4. Grizzlies
5. Mavs (LOL)
6. Magic
7. Bulls
8. Cavs
9. Knicks
10. Sixers
11. Hornets
12. Clippers
13. Clippers
14. Nuggets

Uriel
05-15-2018, 07:58 PM
IIRC, DX was right about us picking James Anderson in 2010.

tbdog
05-15-2018, 08:02 PM
1. Suns
2. Kings
3. Hawks
4. Grizzlies
5. Mavs (LOL)
6. Magic
7. Bulls
8. Cavs
9. Knicks
10. Sixers
11. Hornets
12. Clippers
13. Clippers
14. Nuggets

Wheres the Net's pick with the cavs?

Uriel
05-15-2018, 08:02 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268600

I predicted White last year. Post #3 in this thread:
Wow. :wow So who's your prediction for the Spurs this year?

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 08:07 PM
PHX, if you want Kawhi time to pay up.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Wheres the Net's pick with the cavs?
Uh, number 8?

exstatic
05-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Lakers lose their pick to philly. Rofl.

CGD
05-15-2018, 08:22 PM
I’m calling Sacto about #2 for LMA. Longshot, but it’s the Kings

alpha_HaZE
05-15-2018, 08:58 PM

That would be awesome, but ain't happening. I would be happy with LA for one of the Clippers two picks.

Ron Swanson
05-15-2018, 09:21 PM
There is no way they would trade #2 for LMA.

TheGreatYacht
05-15-2018, 10:06 PM
I don't know man, a second round pick won't be enough. Maybe if they throw in Mason III and Labissiere....

cd021
05-15-2018, 10:32 PM
1. Suns
2. Kings
3. Hawks
4. Grizzlies
5. Mavs (LOL)
6. Magic
7. Bulls
8. Cavs
9. Knicks
10. Sixers
11. Hornets
12. Clippers
13. Clippers
14. Nuggets

Bad night for Memphis, falling to 4th when they had the second best chance at getting the number 1 pick

cd021
05-15-2018, 10:34 PM
That would be awesome, but ain't happening. I would be happy with LA for one of the Clippers two picks.

That is a more realistic trade, though Kawhi is probably likely to be on this team next season so I would expect LMA to be here too.

alpha_HaZE
05-15-2018, 11:12 PM
That is a more realistic trade, though Kawhi is probably likely to be on this team next season so I would expect LMA to be here too.

I think LA will be here as well, but I would love to trade him and play a different brand of basketball.

offset formation
05-15-2018, 11:57 PM
I need draftexpress to play armchair gm :depressed

Didn't you used to pimp for Bernie?

Now you're repping the alt-right gateway drug, aka Jordan Peterson, and quoting Republican's Uncle Thomas Sowell, the I ain't a racist cause I quote a black guy poster figure??

The fuck is wrong with your head?

TimDunkem
05-16-2018, 12:22 AM
I think LA will be here as well, but I would love to trade him and play a different brand of basketball.

God I hope this happens.

duncan2150
05-16-2018, 04:03 AM

Completely agree with you and TD21. Plus this guy Khyri Thomas is a very good defender with a good offensive game.

Brown Jr. is the only one I could see them drafting. Knox and Walker aren't projected to be available at 18 and Robinson seems anti Spurs material. Can't pinpoint anything with Smith, just can't envision it.

Not seeing an intriguing big, outside of Robinson, whose probably a no go for them, projected to be available at 18 or that wouldn't be a reach.

Brown Jr. could make sense, so long as they're confident in his developing into a respectable or better shooter. Perimeter size and play making are significant issues going forward.

I was not sold on Troy Brown when i saw some highlights few weeks ago but he could be a good player : young, nice size, good defender, playmaking ability...... He's a PG/SG for nbadraf.net http://www.nbadraft.net/players/troy-brown

Imo it's a draft full of guards, there's not a lot of goods bigs, with Aldridge, Gasol and probably Mulitinov we could be a little bit loaded.

TimDunkem
05-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Just don't draft another midget, or some freak with a big head who can't shoot.

TheGreatYacht
05-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Just don't draft another midget, or some freak with a big head who can't shoot.
:lol

r0drig0lac
05-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Chandler Hutchison looking good

dbestpro
05-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Bates-Diop although he is rising up some boards and now may not be available.

BackHome
05-16-2018, 07:48 PM
He be there at our pick Don’t know if we draft him though.

tholdren
05-16-2018, 08:06 PM

Can you stop with emojies?

cd021
05-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Chandler Hutchison looking good
Did not look like what I expected :lol

cd021
05-20-2018, 12:40 PM
He also lacks a position defensively. Not mobile enough to defend PFs (which are now mostly converted SFs or combo forwards) and not long enough to play C. Even an All-Star caliber player like Love is an awkward fit in today's game for that same reason.

I've heard pretty good things about Porter, actually, though i've never watched him play. I have heard Simmons name mentioned at 18 too, along with Brown, Diop. Seems most of the bigs are at the top or the bottom of the first round or earlier second round, unfortunately.

Spurtacular
05-20-2018, 03:06 PM

18 Spurs

Sounds like Danny Green's replacement, tbh.

Spurtacular
05-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Lakers lose their pick to philly. Rofl.

:lol What pick? For why?

TD 21
05-20-2018, 04:11 PM
I've heard pretty good things about Porter, actually, though i've never watched him play. I have heard Simmons name mentioned at 18 too, along with Brown, Diop. Seems most of the bigs are at the top or the bottom of the first round or earlier second round, unfortunately.

I wasn't criticizing him, it's just the reality of today's league. Even if they do end up going into a retool or rebuild, the question that has to be kept in mind is: when good again, can (insert player) play against elite teams? If the answer is no, then he's not worthwhile.

Since you can really only play one big lineups often and almost exclusively against the elite, if you're not a dual threat defensively, at the rim and in space, you better excel at least at one and hopefully be able to offset your deficiencies at the other offensively.

Considering he'll be a role player, that won't be possible. Even if he becomes a high percentage/volume 3-point shooter, Frye has long been that, yet was virtually unplayable in the previous two Finals.

Unless there's an unexpected drop of a projected lottery pick, if not Porter or Brown Jr, I think they'll select a 3-and-D wing (Thomas, Bates-Diop, Hutchinson, Evans, Frazier).

DPG21920
05-20-2018, 04:11 PM

10th pick

exstatic
05-20-2018, 04:31 PM

If it had jumped to 2 or 3, they could have kept it.

eDizzle20
05-23-2018, 06:23 AM
A lot of mock drafts have the Spurs taking Divincenzo. I didn’t see him play much, but that national championship game was outstanding. His shooting is excellent, high iq, crazy athletic, and max effort player. He’s not very long, but the Spurs desperately need shooters. I’m all for him at 18.

cd98
05-23-2018, 08:53 AM
A lot of mock drafts have the Spurs taking Divincenzo. I didn’t see him play much, but that national championship game was outstanding. His shooting is excellent, high iq, crazy athletic, and max effort player. He’s not very long, but the Spurs desperately need shooters. I’m all for him at 18.

I think he's a bust. But that's just the feeling I get.

exstatic
05-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Someone that surprised me in the workouts was Grayson Allen. He had a 10.31 lane agility test, the fifth fastest EVER at the combine, and his vertical was measured at 40.5, off of one foot. Scouts love one foot jumpers, because they can get off the ground quicker.

rjv
05-23-2018, 11:03 AM
I think he's a bust. But that's just the feeling I get.

he's had a solid combine so far but not sure how significant that is.

TimDunkem
05-23-2018, 11:52 AM
:lmao Grayson Allen. I'll stop watching the Spurs altogether if they draft that spoiled faggot.

TimDunkem
05-23-2018, 11:53 AM
he's had a solid combine so far but not sure how significant that is.

It's not. Divincenzo is this year's great championship game player who will never translate his game to the league. Book it.

rjv
05-23-2018, 12:04 PM
It's not. Divincenzo is this year's great championship game player who will never translate his game to the league. Book it.

from what i have seen of him the best case scenario i get out of him is a riddick or a belinelli in that he moves very well without the ball and shoots well off screens. he also has similar defensive limitations.

Jules_Winnfield
05-23-2018, 12:05 PM

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lebron-shabazz-napier-tweet-2.png

exstatic
05-23-2018, 12:07 PM
:lmao Grayson Allen. I'll stop watching the Spurs altogether if they draft that spoiled faggot.

I doubt they would draft him. He definitely isn't "over himself", and he has that tripping issue and is a bit of a hothead. I just had no idea he was so athletic. Couple that with his nice shooting stroke, and someone will take a flyer on him late in the first.

spurs50_
05-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Chandler Hutchison it is.

rjv
05-23-2018, 01:06 PM
I doubt they would draft him. He definitely isn't "over himself", and he has that tripping issue and is a bit of a hothead. I just had no idea he was so athletic. Couple that with his nice shooting stroke, and someone will take a flyer on him late in the first.

from nbascoutingreport.net on grayson allen:

Pro comparison
A shorter and less crafty Manu Ginobili

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't touch Divincenzo with the 49th pick much less the 18th. Disgusting what I'm reading from shitty racist posters. Even gave him the "high iq" label that they give every shitty white guy but somehow forget about that trait when it pertains to players of color.

Now they're talking about Grayson Allen. Deplorable.

BatManu20
05-23-2018, 10:36 PM

spurs50_
05-24-2018, 03:11 PM
In one month Chandler Hutchinson and some draft and stash will be part of the Spurs family.

rjv
05-24-2018, 04:54 PM
In one month Chandler Hutchinson and some draft and stash will be part of the Spurs family.

you think the spurs would take hutchinson at 18 or in the 2nd round? because 18 would seem pretty high a spot in the draft for him.

lmbebo
05-24-2018, 05:36 PM
I'd like Allen.

Truth4sale$
05-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Spurs need to be more athletic and younger. Good but not great options at#18. I would like to take a flyer on a young guy like Anfernee Simons. I you are going to send the pick to the Gleague anyway, might as well be somebody with huge upside. He might even grow another inch or two, he is still very young

cd021
05-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Players that i'd be interested in at the 18th pick;

Keita Bates Diop
Anferne Simmons
Khyri Thomas

Players that i'd be interested in at the 49th pick;

Hamidou Diallo
Sviatoslav Mykhailuk
Chimezie Metu

cd021
05-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Spurs need to be more athletic and younger. Good but not great options at#18. I would like to take a flyer on a young guy like Anfernee Simons. I you are going to send the pick to the Gleague anyway, might as well be somebody with huge upside. He might even grow another inch or two, he is still very young

I like him too; can already shoot ( a plus compared to the Spurs recent picks) super young ( won't turn 19 until a couple weeks before the draft) athletic, 6'3 1/4 with a 6'9 1/4 wingspan probably could be molded into a plus defender to go along with his offensive skills (looks like he can shoot well off the dribble including pull up 3's)

dbestpro
05-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Players that i'd be interested in at the 18th pick;

Keita Bates Diop
Anferne Simmons
Khyri Thomas

Players that i'd be interested in at the 49th pick;

Hamidou Diallo
Sviatoslav Mykhailuk
Chimezie Metu

Keita Bates Diop is a Spurs type of pick if he is still available. He has been moving up boards.

cd021
05-27-2018, 12:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xAzcz4f08E

Liking what I see out of him a lot

6'3 1/4 in shoes, 41.5 max vert, 6'9 1/4 arm span not even 19 yet.

cd021
05-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Keita Bates Diop is a Spurs type of pick if he is still available. He has been moving up boards.

6'8 1/2 with a 7'3 1/2 wing span and a 35 inch max vert, all impressive, on top of being a capable shooter and seems like he has decent handles too.

Chinook
05-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Diop would be a fine pick in a normal Spurs year where they are looking for role-players and have a late-20s pick. Can't justify going for him at 18, though.

Trill Clinton
05-27-2018, 01:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xAzcz4f08E

Liking what I see out of him a lot

6'3 1/4 in shoes, 41.5 max vert, 6'9 1/4 arm span not even 19 yet.
i like him too