PDA

View Full Version : Lolckets

Play Boban
05-14-2018, 10:55 PM
:lol posers :lol

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2018, 12:00 AM
Hey dumbass Spurs dropped out in the first round.

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 01:09 AM
They'll probably get swept. All they do is take contested 3s while giving Gsw open 3s. Gsw is too dominant. It's too predictable to the point that you can't even hope against hope that they'll lose. Terrible NBA product.

Othyus Lalanne
05-15-2018, 04:46 AM
They'll probably get swept. All they do is take contested 3s while giving Gsw open 3s. Gsw is too dominant. It's too predictable to the point that you can't even hope against hope that they'll lose. Terrible NBA product.
Agreed.

CGD
05-15-2018, 07:29 AM
They looked awful tonight.

benefactor
05-15-2018, 07:30 AM
D'Ant:lolni

Mr. Body
05-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Mike D'Antoni teams, man.

cd98
05-15-2018, 07:51 AM
I was shocked that a D’Antoni team couldn’t play defense. I don’t get Harden. I get not giving 100% on every possession, but you can’t be a turnstile. I mean, Tony is bad at defense. But at least he tries, he’s just undersized. Harden was giving up layups in crunch.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-15-2018, 07:54 AM
This is not a D'Antoni's typical team - I never thought I was in for such a terrible offensive display - what is that? throw 1000s 3s and hope some stick? Iso-harden plays? 24 sec violations? Who's the point guard? CP3 or Harden?

There is no game plan. If Harden gets tired of going for layups it's over.

Not a D'Antoni's team- what the heck! I confess I didn't watch the Rockets during the regular season so I was expecting something else completely.

John B
05-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Defense wins championships. Rockets can’t afford to exchange baskets with the Dubs. It starts with harassing Curry, set hard picks on the guy. You can’t do anything on Durant but maybe try to deny him the ball, or watch Kawhi film how he depended him last year. And don’t let Draymond Green pushed them around. But again if you have a coach who likes to trade 3’s with twos but not play defense, it’s over in 5.

BillMc
05-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Looking back at this decade it will be how two of the best three players tried to game the system. LeBron did the Super friends in Miami, then Durant joined a 70 win Dubs team. LeBron didn't want to beat DWade (who at the time was a top 5 player and recent champion), so he joined him. Durant couldn't beat Dubs, so he made them invincible and sort of ruined the NBA.

The only thing remotely enjoyable about this is LeBron is going to be eaten by the very trend he started. Yeah, he got those Heat titles, but Durant's move will block him for the rest of his prime, and keep a Goat contender stuck at 3 titles. And he sort of deserves that fate.

It will prevent LeBron from ever catching Jordan (and probably Kareem, though since he wasn't "cool' many are anointing LBJ better than him already).

exstatic
05-15-2018, 08:44 AM
D'Ant:lolni

I remember a quote from him, when he was out of the game, and he said that watching the Dubs win their first ch'ip validated his theories. I thought, hey dumbass, they play BOTH sides of the ball. They were like a top 2 defense, and he was totally oblivious to that fact.

lebomb
05-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Rockets...........dribble, dribble, dribble......desperation 3, BRICK!
Warriors.........pass, pass, pass......wide open 3, SPLASH NIGGA!!!

Play Boban
05-15-2018, 09:37 AM
:cry

tenbeersbold
05-15-2018, 12:02 PM
NBA is boring as hell
3pt shot has ruined the game

They're gonna have to ditch the 3pt shot and allow defenses to play defense

Clipper Nation
05-15-2018, 12:11 PM
LeBron didn't want to beat DWade (who at the time was a top 5 player and recent champion), so he joined him.

:lol Wade wasn't a threat to LeBron at all. He was losing in the first round as the first option. LeGOAT was focused on beating the Celtics, and he didn't go join them.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 12:13 PM
NBA is boring as hell
3pt shot has ruined the game

They're gonna have to ditch the 3pt shot and allow defenses to play defense

I like the spacing that it provides. What I hate is Harden and all of the other 'kick a leg out' artists that draw cheap fouls and get 3 FTs. What I would like to see is that on a three pointer foul, you only get 2 FTS. That would put a stop to the dramatics, making offensive players NOT want to get fouled. It would cost them a point. They'll be interested ONLY in getting up a good shot quickly. You would still get a FT on a foul during made three pointer, so it would be dangerous for defenses to adopt hack-a-three, since offensive players will be trying to make the shot and not draw a foul, and instead of a possible 2 point possession on a 3 ptr miss, you're giving them a possible 4 point possession.

Dex
05-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Spurs will probably win one more game against the Warriors than the Rockets will.

Dex
05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Looking back at this decade it will be how two of the best three players tried to game the system. LeBron did the Super friends in Miami, then Durant joined a 70 win Dubs team. LeBron didn't want to beat DWade (who at the time was a top 5 player and recent champion), so he joined him. Durant couldn't beat Dubs, so he made them invincible and sort of ruined the NBA.

The only thing remotely enjoyable about this is LeBron is going to be eaten by the very trend he started. Yeah, he got those Heat titles, but Durant's move will block him for the rest of his prime, and keep a Goat contender stuck at 3 titles. And he sort of deserves that fate.

It will prevent LeBron from ever catching Jordan (and probably Kareem, though since he wasn't "cool' many are anointing LBJ better than him already).

It's not necessarily a new formula.

Before the Superfriends in Miami, there was Garnett, Allen, and Pierce.

Before the Big 3 Celtics, there was Tim, Tony, and Manu.

Before the Big 3 Spurs, there was Shaq, Kobe, and whoever the hell they could get to hit a bullshit, series-stealing three-pointer.

The list goes on and on, and that doesn't even include the failed experiments (Westbrook, PG, and Melo come to mind).

Different teams approached it different ways (Spurs through draft, Miami through FA, Golden State with a mixture of both)...but if there is one consistent, you need at least two superstars to consistently compete for a championship, with three becoming the current trend.

sasaint
05-15-2018, 12:43 PM

I appreciate your perspective, but the NBA's media shills will spin a completely different story.

I think at least an equal narrative of the decade will be the total abandonment of any semblance of traditional, balanced offense in favor of jacking up threes. The shills will have a more difficult time spinning the statistics that demonstrate this devolution of the sport.

daslicer
05-15-2018, 01:19 PM
It's not necessarily a new formula.

Before the Superfriends in Miami, there was Garnett, Allen, and Pierce.

Before the Big 3 Celtics, there was Tim, Tony, and Manu.

Before the Big 3 Spurs, there was Shaq, Kobe, and whoever the hell they could get to hit a bullshit, series-stealing three-pointer.

The list goes on and on, and that doesn't even include the failed experiments (Westbrook, PG, and Melo come to mind).

Different teams approached it different ways (Spurs through draft, Miami through FA, Golden State with a mixture of both)...but if there is one consistent, you need at least two superstars to consistently compete for a championship, with three becoming the current trend.

Spurs were never a super team . Duncan was the only guy on the Spurs who was a legit superstar when the Spurs were winning. Manu and Tony were all-stars but I never felt at anytime they were top 10 players while Duncan was in his prime. It's a big reason why the Spurs could never go back to back. Shaq-Kobe wasn't a super team since it was just them and a bunch of role players. Outside of '01 they were not dominant. To be a super team in my eyes you need to have at least 2 superstars and another all-star caliber player.

Boston was a super team from '08-'10 if it wasn't for injuries they would have 3 peated during that span. KG and Pierce were still superstars during that period of time and Ray Allen was still an all-star. I would say not even the 90's bulls were even a super team. You had MJ and Pippen who are superstars but the rest of the team were a bunch of good role players. I would say 80's Lakers and Celtics were super teams but after the 80's you didn't have super teams for a long period of time up until Boston started the trend again in the summer of '07.

Clipper Nation
05-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Prime Shaq was a one-man superteam. Add in Horry, Phil and Stern, and it was a wrap for the rest of the league. Not even Kobe could stop that team from becoming a dynasty, no matter how hard he tried.

Dex
05-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Spurs were never a super team . Duncan was the only guy on the Spurs who was a legit superstar when the Spurs were winning. Manu and Tony were all-stars but I never felt at anytime they were top 10 players while Duncan was in his prime. It's a big reason why the Spurs could never go back to back. Shaq-Kobe wasn't a super team since it was just them and a bunch of role players. Outside of '01 they were not dominant. To be a super team in my eyes you need to have at least 2 superstars and another all-star caliber player.

I'd say from '05-'09, the Spurs had two superstar-level players (Duncan and Manu) with Parker playing at an All-Star level. They won 2 titles in that span and made another tough run into the WCF.

It also helped that they had another guy capable of DPOY-level defense and elite role players (Horry, Barry, Finley, etc...), but I'd say that's pretty darn near to super team status.

SpursforSix
05-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Boston was a super team from '08-'10 if it wasn't for injuries they would have 3 peated during that span. KG and Pierce were still superstars during that period of time and Ray Allen was still an all-star. I would say not even the 90's bulls were even a super team. You had MJ and Pippen who are superstars but the rest of the team were a bunch of good role players. I would say 80's Lakers and Celtics were super teams but after the 80's you didn't have super teams for a long period of time up until Boston started the trend again in the summer of '07.

Prime Parker was top 10 at the time. IMO.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 02:34 PM
I'd say from '05-'09, the Spurs had two superstar-level players (Duncan and Manu) with Parker playing at an All-Star level. They won 2 titles in that span and made another tough run into the WCF.

It also helped that they had another guy capable of DPOY-level defense and elite role players (Horry, Barry, Finley, etc...), but I'd say that's pretty darn near to super team status.

IT'S NOT THE SAME. Manu, at no point was a superstar. His playing time and injuries made sure of that.

The Warriors are not like any of the other teams that have come before. In the last two years, all 4 of their stars have made the All NBA team. That's NEVER happened before and is a higher threshold than All Star.

daslicer
05-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Prime Parker was top 10 at the time. IMO.

When Parker entered his prime Duncan left his prime. I said earlier Duncan never played with a superstar during his prime.

Chucho
05-15-2018, 03:25 PM
You're being naive and over rating D'Antoni and Paul's ability to be effective when it matters most if you thought this was going to be a legitimate series. The Rockets, and their fans, should feel very accomplished to get this far and even prouder if they win 2 games in this formality of a series.

Chucho
05-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Manu, at no point was a superstar.

:lmao

sananspursfan21
05-15-2018, 03:27 PM
"Lolckets"? You've done better work. The Rockets name has far more satirical potential...

daslicer
05-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Manu was not a superstar. From '05-'09 he only made one all-nba team and that was all-nba third team in '08. A superstar easily makes the all-nba team every year and is on the first or second team. I will say this he had a superstar run during the '05 playoffs but outside of that playoff run he wasn't ever really dominant. Spurs were a very good team but they were not a super team. Imagine if Duncan was paired up with prime Wade from '05-'09 that would have constituted as a super team with Duncan-Wade being the superstars and Parker being the all-star.

daslicer
05-15-2018, 03:34 PM
IT'S NOT THE SAME. Manu, at no point was a superstar. His playing time and injuries made sure of that.

The Warriors are not like any of the other teams that have come before. In the last two years, all 4 of their stars have made the All NBA team. That's NEVER happened before and is a higher threshold than All Star.

I have said before a better idea of how great the Warriors are imagine if Duncan teamed up with Kobe-Shaq. The Lakers would have had the best PF in the league, best center, and best SG. Warriors have with Durant the second best SF, Curry the best PG, Klay is arguably the second best SG in the league after Harden. Spurs never had a Warriors type of set up. Tim was the best PF, but I can't recall a time in Tim's prime where Manu was the second best SG along with Parker being the second best PG in the league.

Chucho
05-15-2018, 03:56 PM
"Lolckets"? You've done better work. The Rockets name has far more satirical potential...

The Suckcockets

Arcadian
05-15-2018, 03:59 PM
The Suckcockets

:lol

spurraider21
05-15-2018, 04:00 PM
its not really lol rockets, imo. the warriors are just historically stacked

BillMc
05-15-2018, 04:11 PM
I think at least an equal narrative of the decade will be the total abandonment of any semblance of traditional, balanced offense in favor of jacking up threes. The shills will have a more difficult time spinning the statistics that demonstrate this devolution of the sport.

This is absolutely true. That change you mention in the game is really the story of the decade. And I don't think it has made their product better or the game more interesting/entertaining.

exstatic
05-15-2018, 04:13 PM

No, it's lol rockets. Spurs took a game, and were in two more, WITHOUT Kawhi.

lol rockets lol Mike Dan Tony

I wonder how much of a meltdown there is over at clutchfans. Not enough to actually go there and check, but still...

spurraider21
05-15-2018, 04:17 PM
No, it's lol rockets. Spurs took a game, and were in two more, WITHOUT Kawhi.

lol rockets lol Mike Dan Tony

I wonder how much of a meltdown there is over at clutchfans. Not enough to actually go there and check, but still...
the spurs didnt face curry

and it's been one game. we were blown the f out in game 1

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 04:23 PM

It is lol rockets in context of SA fans getting so mad CP3 was not a Spur and Rocket fans worshiping everything Rockets do only to put up literally no resistance. It’s early, but their style of play with Harden/CP is not well suited vs GS. GS defends PnR/Iso better than anyone and HOU has zero post/inside threat.

CP3 is due MASSIVE money and if they flame out after the season they had? How do you commit that money to those players?

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 04:25 PM
the spurs didnt face curry

and it's been one game. we were blown the f out in game 1

Golden state didn’t face Kawhi. SA was on the road for GM1 as well.

Forget about the talk of HOU being better than GS with this team, I don’t think they would have been better than SA with Kawhi even with TP/Manu aging, Danny regressing & a slew of other issues.

spurraider21
05-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Golden state didn’t face Kawhi. SA was on the road for GM1 as well.

Forget about the talk of HOU being better than GS with this team, I don’t think they would have been better than SA with Kawhi even with TP/Manu aging, Danny regressing & a slew of other issues.
no doubt. we saw what a difference maker kawhi was last year... and just how putrid our offense looked after he went out (and how LMA dependent we were this year)

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 04:31 PM
no doubt. we saw what a difference maker kawhi was last year... and just how putrid our offense looked after he went out (and how LMA dependent we were this year)

I said this before the series started but HOU does not appear to be a good match up, despite CP3/Harden doing great this year. But that deal hinges on them making progress vs GS and it appears they might have made very little progress. IF (it’s still super early and we saw Harden drop 40+ already) they flame out in 5 or less?

That will make things very tricky for them considering CP’s age and money due. You can’t fault them for swinging obviously and they are damn good. But this will be judged on their ability to compete with GS.

TD 21
05-15-2018, 04:37 PM
If the Warriors end up beating the Rockets in 4 or 5, it won't be a sign that the Spurs are as good or better than the Rockets or would have necessarily performed better with Leonard against the Warriors, it'll be a sign that the Warriors antenna was up against the Rockets (because of the hype of them being the perceived first true test since they signed Durant), while they were in cruise control against the Spurs.

Considering the Rockets have their full attention, they'd do well to get this to 6. The interesting thing will be, for an older team, without much flexibility, if they're not within' striking distance now, is giving Paul a 4 year max the given it's perceived to be? Would they try to recruit James to take his place first? Would Paul be offended enough to leave if they tried, failed and circled back?

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Disagree. I don’t think it’s easy to say at all that HOU would have even had the shot at GS this year with Kawhi healthy even with all the flaws in SA’s roster.

Has nothing to do with GS and everything to do with how the HOU move for CP3 was/is viewed and will be judged. I also think the Warriors antenna would be fully up vs a SA team that made it back to the WCF again even if the Rockets hype was not attached. Between the narrative of them being dirty and SA whopping up on them in that first road game, it would have been great.

GS got lucky vs this depleted SA team to be quite honest. Whether you want to call it coasting or what ever LMA gave them issues and if SA’s shooters didn’t crap the bed, SA would have won 2 games.

TD 21
05-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Disagree. I don’t think it’s easy to say at all that HOU would have even had the shot at GS this year with Kawhi healthy even with all the flaws in SA’s roster.

Has nothing to do with GS and everything to do with how the HOU move for CP3 was/is viewed and will be judged. I also think the Warriors antenna would be fully up vs a SA team that made it back to the WCF again even if the Rockets hype was not attached. Between the narrative of them being dirty and SA whopping up on them in that first road game, it would have been great.

GS got lucky vs this depleted SA team to be quite honest. Whether you want to call it coasting or what ever LMA gave them issues and if SA’s shooters didn’t crap the bed, SA would have won 2 games.

They more than likely would have. They should have beaten the Spurs last season and added a superstar while the Spurs more or less stayed the same.

I don't. The Warriors, like most everyone, view the Spurs personnel and style as archaic and don't see them as any sort of threat.

Other than game 1, when they wanted to reassert their dominance, they were clearly in cruise control throughout . . . and the Spurs shooters, for the most part, couldn't shoot all season.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 05:30 PM
They more than likely would have. They should have beaten the Spurs last season and added a superstar while the Spurs more or less stayed the same.

I don't. The Warriors, like most everyone, view the Spurs personnel and style as archaic and don't see them as any sort of threat.

Other than game 1, when they wanted to reassert their dominance, they were clearly in cruise control throughout . . . and the Spurs shooters, for the most part, couldn't shoot all season.

Not to get into it, but I did the math. If SA just shot their season average (so not asking them to step up, just shoot at the level they shot all season) they win another game. Not even the tough one’s either. Even if they just shot their average on the uncontested ones alone (which there were a lot of), that swings another game.

TD 21
05-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Not to get into it, but I did the math. If SA just shot their season average (so not asking them to step up, just shoot at the level they shot all season) they win another game. Not even the tough one’s either. Even if they just shot their average on the uncontested ones alone (which there were a lot of), that swings another game.

If not from January 1st on, then from the All-Star break on, their already mediocre shooting seemingly fell off a cliff.

That's basketball though. How many times could someone say that or something similar? The reality is, another game wouldn't have made any difference. Either way, they were still in cruise control. If they cared enough to sweep the Spurs, they would have.

DPG21920
05-15-2018, 05:44 PM
If not from January 1st on, then from the All-Star break on, their already mediocre shooting seemingly fell off a cliff.

That's basketball though. How many times could someone say that or something similar? The reality is, another game wouldn't have made any difference. Either way, they were still in cruise control. If they cared enough to sweep the Spurs, they would have.

It’s context with regards to HOU. SA is built better, due to LMA, than HOU is to beat GS. With Kawhi and no Curry, SA absolutely beats GS this year. But with Curry it would not be as likely although I suspect SA would fare better than HOU will end up.

TD 21
05-15-2018, 05:53 PM
It’s context with regards to HOU. SA is built better, due to LMA, than HOU is to beat GS. With Kawhi and no Curry, SA absolutely beats GS this year. But with Curry it would not be as likely although I suspect SA would fare better than HOU will end up.

Probably not, but even if they were, it wouldn't matter. Like everyone else, they're both running a race they can't win.

The Spurs have a whopping 5 rotation players who are unplayable vs elite teams. Gasol, Mills and Parker defensively and Anderson and Murray offensively.

koriwhat
05-16-2018, 03:05 PM

that's the truth... lol

exstatic
05-16-2018, 03:41 PM

People fall for this shit every time he puts a team out on the floor. They blow out some bad teams, beat a few good teams in the RS, and suddenly, they're 'contenders'. You cannot win a championship if you play indifferent defense. They'll always run into that better, two way team at some point in the playoffs.

RD2191
05-16-2018, 04:09 PM
People fall for this shit every time he puts a team out on the floor. They blow out some bad teams, beat a few good teams in the RS, and suddenly, they're 'contenders'. You cannot win a championship if you play indifferent defense. They'll always run into that better, two way team at some point in the playoffs.

Their defense isn't that bad imo, what killed them was harden going iso every other possession and holding the ball for way too long.

E20
05-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Cucket's will not win. You can see the fear in James Harden and CP3's demeanor against them. They have no answer for a Curry, Klay, Green, and Durant combination.

KDKSpurs24
05-16-2018, 04:57 PM
I like the spacing that it provides. What I hate is Harden and all of the other 'kick a leg out' artists that draw cheap fouls and get 3 FTs. What I would like to see is that on a three pointer foul, you only get 2 FTS. That would put a stop to the dramatics, making offensive players NOT want to get fouled. It would cost them a point. They'll be interested ONLY in getting up a good shot quickly. You would still get a FT on a foul during made three pointer, so it would be dangerous for defenses to adopt hack-a-three, since offensive players will be trying to make the shot and not draw a foul, and instead of a possible 2 point possession on a 3 ptr miss, you're giving them a possible 4 point possession.
Would never happen. Why? If a team needed a 3 to tie or win the game all you would have to do is push them for the foul. That would be exploited all of the time. That would eliminate excitement of potential 3 pointer game winners. It would also become a dangerous play.

So at the end of the day the leg kicking and stuff may be gone.. but then you’d end up hating the guys who exploit the rule and push our players down on potential big 3 point shots.

exstatic
05-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Would never happen. Why? If a team needed a 3 to tie or win the game all you would have to do is push them for the foul. That would be exploited all of the time. That would eliminate excitement of potential 3 pointer game winners. It would also become a dangerous play.

So at the end of the day the leg kicking and stuff may be gone.. but then you’d end up hating the guys who exploit the rule and push our players down on potential big 3 point shots.

Did you not read any further? You still get a FT on a made 3 with a foul. Fouling becomes hazardous on 3 point shooters, because you risk a 4 point play if they make it instead of a 2 point play on just a foul. If you're three points up, a foul could cost you the game. Or, make an obvious push/undercut/collision on a 3 point shooter a flagrant one. 2 FTs and the ball.

99 Problems
05-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Sprockets Win this one.

KD due to miss a few shots
Wont see Young hit 3 like g1
Roxs take more care lookin after ball
Less fouls chasing KD on floor.

KDKSpurs24
05-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Did you not read any further? You still get a FT on a made 3 with a foul. Fouling becomes hazardous on 3 point shooters, because you risk a 4 point play if they make it instead of a 2 point play on just a foul. If you're three points up, a foul could cost you the game. Or, make an obvious push/undercut/collision on a 3 point shooter a flagrant one. 2 FTs and the ball.
Yes I read it. Dude that’s too much to officiate. The same way people found a way to draw those fouls is the same way people will find a way to make a foul look less hostile. Doesn’t even have to be a push. You can just hit their elbow. Can’t call a flagrant on that can you?
Nobody will think about risking a 4pt point play when you can just hit their elbow. You ever got hit on an elbow while shooting? The chances of it going in go waaaay down.

And even if it was a flagrant.. less than a sec left up 3 points and you get the flagrant. So you get 2 shots and the ball. Well what kind of shot are they gonna get up with less than a second left? A horrible one or no shot at all. I’ll take those odds.

Either way this just wouldn’t happen.

Dverde
05-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Ride or Die tonight for the Lockets

gospursgojas
05-16-2018, 06:53 PM
The last game btw Celtics and Sixers Chuck and Kenny said it best on Inside. “This was a real NBA game, not some 3 pt chuck fest”.

What the three pointer has become has killedi the game.

Caltex2
05-18-2018, 12:12 AM
The last game btw Celtics and Sixers Chuck and Kenny said it best on Inside. “This was a real NBA game, not some 3 pt chuck fest”.

What the three pointer has become has killedi the game.

Through no fault of his own, Michael Jordan killed the game. Instead of working on fundamentals and traditional skills, everyone wanted to be like Mike. There have been less than 5 all-time great big men since Jordan's second retirement. The growing popularity of the 3-point shot was the nail in the coffin.

daslicer
05-18-2018, 01:41 AM
Through no fault of his own, Michael Jordan killed the game. Instead of working on fundamentals and traditional skills, everyone wanted to be like Mike. There have been less than 5 all-time great big men since Jordan's second retirement. The growing popularity of the 3-point shot was the nail in the coffin.

Shaq,Duncan,KG,Dirk are the only all time great big men I can think of since MJ's second retirement. Shaq,Duncan are the only traditional big men with back to the basket post up game since MJ's second retirement.

Caltex2
05-18-2018, 02:58 AM
Shaq is pre-Jordan retirement, at least as far as his emergence, KG as well. Dirk is not really a traditional big man. So it's Duncan, Gasol and Howard unless I'm missing someone.

And it's not like Duncan had any influence from MJ.

TMTTRIO
05-18-2018, 06:34 AM
Manu was not a superstar. From '05-'09 he only made one all-nba team and that was all-nba third team in '08. A superstar easily makes the all-nba team every year and is on the first or second team. I will say this he had a superstar run during the '05 playoffs but outside of that playoff run he wasn't ever really dominant. Spurs were a very good team but they were not a super team. Imagine if Duncan was paired up with prime Wade from '05-'09 that would have constituted as a super team with Duncan-Wade being the superstars and Parker being the all-star.

To be fair, Manu probably isn't a superstar, but it doesn't help that he's had to be a sixth man his whole career. He could've probably earned more individual accolades and scored more if he left for another team and behind Tim and Tony when it came to scoring. You got a point on how long he could do it though through a long season. We've already seen him carry his other team to some wins against a team full of superstar players though on Team USA.

r0drig0lac
05-18-2018, 07:31 AM

like MJ, right?

BSfromTX
05-18-2018, 08:05 AM
^
not just MJ but the league in general... it’s what they sell now. Teenagers and twenty somethings go nuts over the dunks and ankle breaking so that’s what they promote.

r0drig0lac
05-18-2018, 08:56 AM
^
not just MJ but the league in general... it’s what they sell now. Teenagers and twenty somethings go nuts over the dunks and ankle breaking so that’s what they promote.

MJ had an insane work ethic and was absolutely A + in all fundamentals of the game.

the fact that your copies have failed (your closest copy was good enough for 3 titles as a B and 2 as a A) it was not your fault

exstatic
05-18-2018, 09:02 AM
^

MJ was extremely fundamentally sound. It wasn't him, it was Sportscenter. THEY would only show the dunks and flashy plays.

daslicer
05-18-2018, 11:14 AM
MJ was extremely fundamentally sound. It wasn't him, it was Sportscenter. THEY would only show the dunks and flashy plays.

Agreed MJ had Duncan like fundamentals paired up with ultra athletic abilities. Wizards Jordan to me is the best example of how fundamentally sound MJ was. At that time MJ had lost most of his athletic ability but was still able to score 20 a game based off of fundamentals. He was till better than 80 percent of the league at that time. Which to me is impressive because a lot of guys fall of a cliff once they lose their athletic abilities ala Tony Parker,Kobe.

MJ was great playing off the ball, had great footwork, bankshot, ball handling, pump fakes, fadeaways, good passing. All these skills I mention are all fundamentals and were a huge part of MJ's game but for most people his fundamentals are overshadowed by his great athleticism and dunk highlight reels.

Caltex2
05-18-2018, 01:28 PM
MJ had an insane work ethic and was absolutely A + in all fundamentals of the game.

the fact that your copies have failed (your closest copy was good enough for 3 titles as a B and 2 as a A) it was not your fault

Seriously, they probably weren't old enough to watch MJ if they think he didn't work on his fundamentals. How exactly do you get to be considered the best player ever by doing any less than fundamentals?

daslicer
05-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Seriously, they probably weren't old enough to watch MJ if they think he didn't work on his fundamentals. How exactly do you get to be considered the best player ever by doing any less than fundamentals?

Kids are always into doing flashy things on the basketball court versus doing the fundamentals. Growing up during the 90's I remember everybody wanted to dunk like Mike and do all of his amazing athletic acrobatic plays. Kind of like now when I play on playgrounds I see kids jacking up 3's all the way from half court which I call the Curry effect.

SPURt
05-18-2018, 04:27 PM

tholdren
05-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Totally agree. Had he stayed in cleveland, regardless of rings, he would have gone down as goat. Now hes barry bonds mark mcguire

tholdren
05-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Kids are always into doing flashy things on the basketball court versus doing the fundamentals. Growing up during the 90's I remember everybody wanted to dunk like Mike and do all of his amazing athletic acrobatic plays. Kind of like now when I play on playgrounds I see kids jacking up 3's all the way from half court which I call the Curry effect.

Wonder why? Probably because the nba is entertainment targeted to 14 year olds. Yet everyone on spurstalk besides the trolls dont understand this. Which is why spurstalk is so fun. You have supposedly grown men blocking, melting down, arguing with and typing emojies. This place is gold and none of you comprehend the joke. Hilarious

spurraider21
05-18-2018, 04:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cz7EP.gif

tholdren
05-18-2018, 04:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cz7EP.gif

55k sad

Play Boban
05-20-2018, 09:19 PM
:wakeup

DPG21920
05-20-2018, 10:05 PM
HOU has gotten wrecked twice now. GM4 is huge for obvious reasons; not just the series but the future of this HOU team.

TD 21
05-20-2018, 10:20 PM
The biggest takeaway here is, in an attempt to strike a balance between shooting and defense, they don't have enough of either. The latter because there's not much you can do against them and the former because all 3 of their hyped wing defenders are average - worse spot up 3-point shooters, who provide nothing else on offense.

Stocking up on traditional 3 and D wings is misguided because specialists won't get it done. You need guys like Gay and Evans (non physical liabilities defensively, decent 3-point shooters), to ostensibly play that role because they also provide additional shot creation and play making.

DPG21920
05-20-2018, 10:22 PM
I think their shooters are fine; I think the issue is they are not able to manufacture open looks for them like they did in the regular season because GS is a great defensive team built to defend ISO/PnR offense.

TD 21
05-20-2018, 10:27 PM
I think their shooters are fine; I think the issue is they are not able to manufacture open looks for them like they did in the regular season because GS is a great defensive team built to defend ISO/PnR offense.

Exactly. That's why you need additional shot creators and play makers. They have to be respectable from 3 and have good enough physical tools to guard their position, not be targeted and switch.

Mr. Body
05-20-2018, 11:13 PM
Houston is an incredible downhill team. When they have to push uphill, it's over. ISO-Harden is so fucking predictable it's ridiculous. They're getting clowned.

YGWHI
05-21-2018, 12:06 AM
GSW will destroy Cavs/Boston. Some 4-1 again. And LeBron will leave CLE after that. Ton of fun in this next offseason.

spurs10
05-21-2018, 12:10 AM
GSW will destroy Cavs/Boston. Some 4-1 again. And LeBron will leave CLE after that. Ton of fun in this next offseason. Yeah not a great look for the NBA.

daslicer
05-21-2018, 12:18 AM
Yeah not a great look for the NBA.

Unfortunately the Warriors still get high ratings even when they are sweeping or having gentlemen sweeps. One thing I would like to see the NBA do to make the games more competitive is bring back the old defensive rules. Warriors still would be the favorites to win with the rule changes but at least the games would be much more competitive.

YGWHI
05-21-2018, 12:24 AM
Yeah not a great look for the NBA.

Agreed. But a great opportunity for the Spurs if Lebron picks us!!!!!

cjw
05-21-2018, 12:59 AM
Unfortunately the Warriors still get high ratings even when they are sweeping or having gentlemen sweeps. One thing I would like to see the NBA do to make the games more competitive is bring back the old defensive rules. Warriors still would be the favorites to win with the rule changes but at least the games would be much more competitive.

When season ticket holders stop renewing because one team dominates the league, and TV ratings go down ahead of the collective bargaining agreement / TV renewals, then some owners may push for change.

But ratings are fine and teams are generally healthy financially. Only way this changes is if the Warriors get old, injured or bored of each other.

And yes on handchecking.

Chillen
05-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Agreed. But a great opportunity for the Spurs if Lebron picks us!!!!!

I want LeBron to sign with the Spurs because he wants to, not what is good for the NBA but what is good for LeBron.

Killakobe81
05-21-2018, 07:58 AM
The biggest takeaway here is, in an attempt to strike a balance between shooting and defense, they don't have enough of either. The latter because there's not much you can do against them and the former because all 3 of their hyped wing defenders are average - worse spot up 3-point shooters, who provide nothing else on offense.

Stocking up on traditional 3 and D wings is misguided because specialists won't get it done. You need guys like Gay and Evans (non physical liabilities defensively, decent 3-point shooters), to ostensibly play that role because they also provide additional shot creation and play making.

this. Which makes State ridiculously tough to beat. No excuses, but the facts are, to beat them (without durant) it took an all-time great, a top 5 player (Bron) playing at his best along with some of the best ever clutch shot making in finals history (Kyrie) injuries and a suspension to beat State in 7 games.
In response, they went and added Durant. Probably a borderline top 25 player all time if he never dribbles again and potentially a top 10-15 player and 2nd greatest SF of all time to a 72 plus win team. To excpect this Rox team full of choke artists to beat them is unrealistic.
As TD21 points out you cant beat them with mediocre specialists. its tough because the best defenders are not usually good enough offensively to make them pay on the other end.
However I do think they can be beat, and are not invincible but you gonna need to have more than one star and you need versatile defenders.
I honestly think if celts play their cards right they can build a team that can beat them but they need to keep Tatum, Kyrie and brown and flip some of their other assets to add another
two way star. Doesnt have to be Kiwi level but another wing that can play defense and score. That would also require Kyrie to be 100% (he murders steph) and Brown and Tatum to take leaps on offense and defense in their 2nd and 3rd years ...
I hope they can't and won't but celts seem to have the pieces to beat state ...eventually. Question is how soon?

Phenomanul
05-21-2018, 08:31 AM
The Spurs without Kawhi gave Golden State more of a fight than what the Rockets are able to muster. It's not a good look for Houston/Pringles/Choke Paul/Frauden.

cd98
05-21-2018, 11:51 AM
The Spurs without Kawhi gave Golden State more of a fight than what the Rockets are able to muster. It's not a good look for Houston/Pringles/Choke Paul/Frauden.

In fairness, GSW didn't have Curry against the Spurs. You say last night that he can score like crazy at any moment, which is why they have to guard him even when he's missing.

Phenomanul
05-21-2018, 01:09 PM
In fairness, GSW didn't have Curry against the Spurs. You say last night that he can score like crazy at any moment, which is why they have to guard him even when he's missing.

Which then translates to the Spurs having been legitimate contenders had Kawhi not been hurt.

cd98
05-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Which then translates to the Spurs having been legitimate contenders had Kawhi not been hurt.

I agree, except they would have a small margin of error to beat GSW. Spurs have better resources to defend GSW, but even with Kawhi, they don't have the ability to have offensive explosions like GSW. That's ultimately why they lose in a 7 game series. But I have no doubt that a Spurs team that is 100% healthy would have had the best chance to beat GSW this year. Unfortunately, Kawhi couldn't play most of the year.

Play Boban
05-24-2018, 11:27 PM
:lol CP0 :lol

Play Boban
05-27-2018, 12:45 AM
:wakeup

Play Boban
05-28-2018, 11:58 PM
:lol Ch0ked a double digit second half lead :lol

:lol lolockets :lol

:lol cp0:lol

:lol Harden :lol

SpurPadre
05-29-2018, 12:06 AM
:lol Ch0ked a double digit second half lead :lol

:lol lolockets :lol

:lol cp0:lol

:lol Harden :lol

Dubs have nothing to brag about. They benefit off injury yet again, tbh.

exstatic
05-29-2018, 09:48 AM

The Dubs have made it through 3 rounds with some key injuries of their own in Curry and Iggy.

The reality is that if you put all of your eggs in the CP0 basket, you'll be disappointed. That leg of his is just going to fall of one day. He has near constant hamstring problems. He basically limped through the last game plus against us in 2015.

Dex
05-29-2018, 10:10 AM
The Dubs have made it through 3 rounds with some key injuries of their own in Curry and Iggy.

The reality is that if you put all of your eggs in the CP0 basket, you'll be disappointed. That leg of his is just going to fall of one day. He has near constant hamstring problems. He basically limped through the last game plus against us in 2015.

Pisses me off that he played injured against us in 2015 and shoveled the dirt on our grave, but didn't play in Game 6 or 7 against GSW.

Dverde
05-29-2018, 12:04 PM
That is the difference between the Warriors than the rest of the NBA. They can lose a couple players and still win a championship. As long as they have three of these four Curry, KD, Green, Klay. Now Klay talking about taking much less to keep their unfair talent advantage.

exstatic
05-29-2018, 12:29 PM
That is the difference between the Warriors than the rest of the NBA. They can lose a couple players and still win a championship. As long as they have three of these four Curry, KD, Green, Klay. Now Klay talking about taking much less to keep their unfair talent advantage.

Stephen Jackson said the same thing on the podium in 2003. He played for ATL the next year.

The reality is that you only have so many years to earn in the NBA, and how many ch'ips do you really need? If they win this year, and I think they will, Klay will have as many as most of the supporting cast in the Bulls two three-peats: Rodman, Grant, Cartwright, etc.

spurs1990
05-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Pisses me off that he played injured against us in 2015 and shoveled the dirt on our grave, but didn't play in Game 6 or 7 against GSW.

2015 was full of lots of crappy circumstances that prevented a repeat.

1) as you mention Paul playing with that hammy and winning game 7
2) NBA playoff seeding allowed for crappy Port team to get 4th pushing Spurs to 6th. With today's version it would've been SA vs Mem 1st round
3) really bad luck in Nov/Dec scheduling with lots of B2Bs. In Dec alone Spurs lost 4 OT games including consecutive triple OT losses.
4) Leonard missing 17 games due to injury (gee where've we seen that before) in Dec
5) Parker missing 12 games in December due to injury

Spurs easily would've been the two seed in 2015 barring the mixture of injuries/scheduling. They were one game behind two seed Houston even with the injuries.

daslicer
05-29-2018, 03:11 PM

Yeah that's what makes it surprising to me is how CP0 could play against the Spurs with a bad hamstring but decided not to play in this series when he had a bad hamstring. That to me is really weird and perplexing. Hell even Tony Parker played with a bad hamstring in the 2013 finals. I just don't get it.

SpursforSix
05-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Yeah that's what makes it surprising to me is how CP0 could play against the Spurs with a bad hamstring but decided not to play in this series when he had a bad hamstring. That to me is really weird and perplexing. Hell even Tony Parker played with a bad hamstring in the 2013 finals. I just don't get it.

and Barron Davis killed the Mavs with his bad hammy IIRC.

That being said, no one knows the extent of this injury/pain.

Play Boban
05-29-2018, 11:52 PM
Truth bomb. Disgusting tbh.