PDA

View Full Version : Seattle City Council votes 9-0 for scaled-down head tax on large employers

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 05:31 PM
The legislation calls for a tax of $275 per employee, per year on for-profit companies that gross at least $20 million per year in the city — down from a $500-per-head tax that Mayor Jenny Durkan had threatened to veto.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-votes-9-0-for-scaled-down-head-tax-on-large-employers/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BNA_051418232638+BREAKING%3a+Seattle+ City+Council+votes+unanimously+in+favor+of+a+scale d-down+head+tax_5_14_2018

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 05:33 PM
“We are disappointed by today’s City Council decision to introduce a tax on jobs. While we have resumed construction planning for Block 18, we remain very apprehensive about the future created by the council’s hostile approach and rhetoric toward larger businesses, which forces us to question our growth here. City of Seattle revenues have grown dramatically from $2.8 billion in 2010 to $4.2 billion in 2017, and they will be even higher in 2018. This revenue increase far outpaces the Seattle population increase over the same time period. The city does not have a revenue problem – it has a spending efficiency problem. We are highly uncertain whether the city council’s anti-business positions or its spending inefficiency will change for the better.”--Drew Herdener, an Amazon vice president

Pavlov
05-15-2018, 05:36 PM
More Canadians for California.

Will Hunting
05-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Yeah, that’s a stupid way to tax companies...even dumber than Texas’ franchise tax.

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 05:37 PM
LOCAL (https://www.king5.com/section/news/local)

'How is that a compromise?': Iconic Dick's Drive-In slams Seattle head tax

The focus was largely on Amazon, but small businesses like Dick's Drive-in say it will hit them hardest.

"That's what's really frustrating, this isn't about Amazon at all," said Saul Spady, whose grandfather founded Dick's back in 1954. "This is a tax on high-volume, low-margin businesses, like restaurants, and that's where it's going to put the most pain. And it's making restaurants like Dick's Drive-ins think really strongly about do we make our workforce more efficient, do we give less money to charity, or maybe we just don't be a business in Seattle."

"I'd be happy to write a check for homelessness. Am I happy to write a check to the city of Seattle for them to manage my money? Not super stoked about that,"

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/how-is-that-a-compromise-iconic-dicks-drive-in-slams-seattle-head-tax/281-552130426

Good 2min video in this article

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 05:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5qKRiBiyg

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 05:40 PM
More Canadians for California.

More Canadians to wherever they put headquarters 2.

Pavlov
05-15-2018, 05:40 PM
More Canadians to wherever they put headquarters 2.Seattle will be fine.

Don't worry so much about them.

Nathan89
05-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Just fix the zoning and build bigger buildings. I'm not sure why these cities insist on driving up living costs.

Spurtacular
05-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Seattle will be fine.

Don't worry so much about them.

Too big to fail, bro. Amirite?

Pavlov
05-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Too big to fail, bro. Amirite?Too desirable a place to live tbh.

sickdsm
05-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Pavlov can't comment directly on the topic. Just say it's bullshit, man.

Pavlov
05-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Pavlov can't comment directly on the topic. Just say it's bullshit, man.They probably shouldn't give so much away in incentives to attract businesses in the first place. I don't care too much about this particular law. I wouldn't be surprised if it's vetoed or repealed if it really stifles growth.

AaronY
05-15-2018, 08:50 PM
OP preaching his pro-business gospel as he don't want Atlas to shrug and ruins the lives of us bottom 99 percenters freeloading off of them (He was a Bernie Bro and wanted $15 minimum wage, universal health care, free college et cetera last week btw)

sickdsm
05-15-2018, 08:54 PM
They probably shouldn't give so much away in incentives to attract businesses in the first place. I don't care too much about this particular law. I wouldn't be surprised if it's vetoed or repealed if it really stifles growth.

So you're not concerned that they did an end around on income tax? That's cool with you?

spurraider21
05-15-2018, 09:31 PM
OP preaching his pro-business gospel as he don't want Atlas to shrug and ruins the lives of us bottom 99 percenters freeloading off of them (He was a Bernie Bro and wanted $15 minimum wage, universal health care, free college et cetera last week btw)
:lol

Pavlov
05-15-2018, 10:40 PM
So you're not concerned that they did an end around on income tax? That's cool with you?No, I'm not concerned at all. Taxing entities make taxes. It's not like this is an irreversible jump off a cliff or something. If it's an abomination, it will be addressed.

Maybe you can tell me what you think is the big deal here.

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Income tax is illegal in Washington. You are effectively labeling people as property and taxing them on it.

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Too desirable a place to live tbh.
3rd largest concentration of homeless in the US. Sounds like Paradise.

boutons_deux
05-16-2018, 07:45 AM

In lots of cities, regions, "The Rent's Too Damn High" and the jobs, salaries are too damn low.

DMC
05-16-2018, 07:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5qKRiBiyg
Stossel: Hair Color for Men... Is It Too Expensive?

Pavlov
05-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Income tax is illegal in Washington. You are effectively labeling people as property and taxing them on it.Then someone will sue if that's a valid legal argument.

3rd largest concentration of homeless in the US. Sounds like Paradise. So don't move there.

Blake
05-16-2018, 11:33 AM

2nd fastest growing city in the US.

Just don't make eye contact with the homeless and you're ok

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 03:35 PM
2nd fastest growing city in the US.

Just don't make eye contact with the homeless and you're ok

Is there a reason you don't make eye contact with the homeless?

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Then someone will sue if that's a valid legal argument.

So don't move there.

You avoided the party about taxing people as if they are property. Is that something you'd like to see, legal or not?

You ask me what my big issue with it then tell me not to move there. I gave no indication of me wanting to move anywhere. Would that be your response to any news story anywhere in the world?

Pavlov
05-16-2018, 03:51 PM
You avoided the party about taxing people as if they are property. Is that something you'd like to see, legal or not?Personally, no. But it's not my city. If it comes up in Austin, I'll be against it. Even if something like that did pass here, we'd probably still be fine. That's my point.

You ask me what my big issue with it then tell me not to move there. I gave no indication of me wanting to move anywhere. Would that be your response to any news story anywhere in the world?Well, you don't live there-- so I'm still trying to see why this is a big deal to you.

Blake
05-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Is there a reason you don't make eye contact with the homeless?

Oh I don't have a problem making eye contact with them. You're the one with a problem looking at homeless, it was just a suggestion.

Pavlov
05-16-2018, 04:44 PM
I try to obscure them with my A pillar when I pull up to an intersection. If that doesn't work I shoot them in self defense.

Blake
05-16-2018, 05:13 PM
I try to obscure them with my A pillar when I pull up to an intersection. If that doesn't work I shoot them in self defense.

Ah yeah I do the same thing. Especially if they try to attack my windshield with windex and newspaper

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 10:19 PM
Oh I don't have a problem making eye contact with them. You're the one with a problem looking at homeless, it was just a suggestion.

Actually I didn't say I had a problem looking at them. Why did you say that? Surprise that the homeless situation isn't a concern for you You said if you don't look at them, you'll be ok. Sounds like you have personal experience there judging from the fact that you know that it will work.

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Personally, no. But it's not my city. If it comes up in Austin, I'll be against it. Even if something like that did pass here, we'd probably still be fine. That's my point.

Well, you don't live there-- so I'm still trying to see why this is a big deal to you.
Big deal? I didn't know discussing politics in a political forum made it near and dear to me. I'll discuss Syria, Israel, the Starbucks in Philly if I have anything I deem worthwhile to say.

Discussing current events bad now.

Pavlov
05-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Big deal? I didn't know discussing politics in a political forum made it near and dear to me. I'll discuss Syria, Israel, the Starbucks in Philly if I have anything I deem worthwhile to say.

Discussing current events bad now.You're the real victim here.

sickdsm
05-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Good comeback.

Pavlov
05-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Good comeback.What was I supposed to say? Here we are discussing it and you become a drama queen claiming I'm not letting you discuss it.

Blake
05-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Actually I didn't say I had a problem looking at them. Why did you say that? Surprise that the homeless situation isn't a concern for you You said if you don't look at them, you'll be ok. Sounds like you have personal experience there judging from the fact that you know that it will work.

The homeless is a concern but it's a concern in every big city, not just Seattle. I don't know anyone ever that's said they would have moved to a certain city except for the dense homeless population.

And if it's not aesthetics, how exactly do the homeless impede your pursuit to paradise?

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Seattle - November 3, 2019 | Predictive Programming or Coincidence?

https://youtu.be/layd1FU5KMU

Winehole23
11-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Amazon may lose this round. Sometimes voters beat the biggest donors.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2019, 12:29 PM
You guys are doing it wrong. You gotta stare those guys right in the eyes and say " fuck no, I dont give money to bums!

Winehole23
11-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Internet tuff guy CC bows up to the homeless.