PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Warriors-Rockets ratings..

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Highest WCFs rating in 20 years, despite cord cutting and alternative viewing options:wow

The NBA's strong ratings are especially impressive since there have been so many blowouts in these playoffs..Silver is proving to be elite at his job, I expect the NBA to surpass the NFL in about 10 more years..

SpurOutofTownFan
05-27-2018, 01:51 PM
I'm honestly surprised this is the case. To me it has been boring bar a couple games. But it's good for basketball nonetheless

RD2191
05-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Because everyone wants to see the dubs lose tbh

ElNono
05-27-2018, 02:12 PM
It's kinda weird how they rate that, tbh...

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Finals_television_ratings

lefty
05-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Highest WCFs rating in 20 years, despite cord cutting and alternative viewing options:wow

The NBA's strong ratings are especially impressive since there have been so many blowouts in these playoffs..Silver is proving to be elite at his job, I expect the NBA to surpass the NFL in about 10 more years..

No it's because casuals are brainwashed thanks to social media :lol

Yeah the WCF have been interesting, despite the abortion basketball both teams have been playing so far.

Stabula
05-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Basketball is becoming a lot less interesting tbh

Chillen
05-27-2018, 05:59 PM
People tuned in because they want to see the Warriorettes lose badly. They will probably be disappointed after game 7 tomorrow night.

daslicer
05-27-2018, 06:09 PM
People tuned in because they want to see the Warriorettes lose badly. They will probably be disappointed after game 7 tomorrow night.

Yup I call it the Floyd Mayweather effect which is that people will always tune in to watch a hateable entity or person if there is a chance the heateable entity/person could lose.

Raven
05-27-2018, 06:19 PM
quality has been lacking bad though..

Arcadian
05-27-2018, 08:04 PM
This just proves that the average "idiot Joe viewer" just tunes in to watch the star players, not so much a quality product.

"Derrr, i likE watcH da lebroN man and cuury cuz he a real good shooter!!1"

DMC
05-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Did you hear Kerr take a big shit on the NFL today?

DMC
05-27-2018, 08:47 PM
This just proves that the average "idiot Joe viewer" just tunes in to watch the star players, not so much a quality product.

"Derrr, i likE watcH da lebroN man and cuury cuz he a real good shooter!!1"
As opposed to us more basketball savvy fans who, after our own teams are eliminated, only watch to mine salt from the losers.

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Did you hear Kerr take a big shit on the NFL today?

No, the NFL is a clown organization, but I don't care much for Kerr's Pop-like rants..

DMC
05-27-2018, 08:49 PM
No, the NFL is a clown organization, but I don't care much for Kerr's Pop-like rants..

That's pretty much what it was. Seems the NFL passed a rule that players must stand for the anthem. Kerr said "sounds like the NFL, that's how they are". Some Pop shit, sucking up to his players...

If Pop and Kerr could unzip their white flesh they'd do it and burn it on the streets in Compton. That's what they want their players to think. They won't give up the white neighborhood they live in though.

midnightpulp
05-27-2018, 10:26 PM
You sure, Harlem?

Saturday’s Rockets-Warriors NBA West Finals Game 6 earned 9.4 million viewers on TNT, per Nielsen fast-nationals — down 13% from Warriors-Thunder in 2016, the previous WCF Game 6 (10.8M). Neither conference final exceeded five games last year. Turner Sports did not disclose the rating.\

That's AFC South bottom feeders on Thursday Night Football level. I don't see the NBA challenging the NFL nor passing the MLB in overall popularity for these reasons:

- It's too star driven and highly dependent on transcendent superstars with the charisma and marketing image to match to drive interest and ratings. The NFL and MLB more market their leagues around teams, and even "unsexy" matchups that lack storylines between small market teams still draw well in the post-season. The NBA went into panic mode when the small market and boring Spurs played in the Finals against non-Lebron teams (even the first matchup didn't draw well and was the historically lowest rated Finals on record).

- You grow out of it (not grow out of liking basketball, but following it to the same degree). What I'm saying might be blasphemous on a basketball forum, but basketball as a sport has a design (fast paced, lots of scoring, star players always on the court) that appeals more to kids and teenagers than to older adults (25+). When you get older, tension, build up, and individual scores and events that can change the complexion of the game at any time are more appreciated over just constant back-and-forth scoring. I know the NBA realizes that their drop off in fandom is larger as fans get older than in other sports, which is why their main marketing focus is on social media. It's still the league with the youngest fan base, as it was 30 years ago, and the youth movement back then didn't translate into the NBA really growing (domestically at least).

- Identification. Why is soccer the most popular sport in the world? Because anyone can play it (cue soccer fan rage). I don't mean it's "easy," but soccer doesn't have the physical barrier to entry like basketball where you need to be out outlier height to play 4 out the 5 positions and of above average height to play PG. A 5'3" kid in some African village can dream of being Messi. He can't dream of being Lebron or even Curry. Same goes for shorter people in the US, although they might dream of being an NFL running back or MLB shortstop.

I remember pundits predicting the NBA surpassing the NFL when Jordan was driving the league, but he didn't convert fans to the sport necessarily, he converted fans to himself, as the drop off in ratings when he wasn't playing show. It's similar to Lebron/Curry now.

RsxPiimp
05-27-2018, 11:49 PM
i swear every damn year there's a record breaking ratings come playoff time, despite evidence that tv watching is declining and live streaming is booming :lol

midnightpulp
05-28-2018, 12:06 AM
i swear every damn year there's a record breaking ratings come playoff time, despite evidence that tv watching is declining and live streaming is booming :lol

Not really. You have to watch how these ratings articles "phrase it." Ex. "Highest Western Conference Finals game 6 on TNT since 2011," etc, etc.

RsxPiimp
05-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Not really. You have to watch how these ratings articles "phrase it." Ex. "Highest Western Conference Finals game 6 on TNT since 2011," etc, etc.

:tu