PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Manu Ginobili on today's NBA..

HarlemHeat37
05-28-2018, 10:40 PM

I don't necessarily agree with him, but :wow that's love from a player who played in an era that featured Shaq/Duncan/Kobe/KG/Dirk in their prime..

He played against all these players, can't disregard his opinion, even though I don't necessarily agree with it..

AlexJones
05-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Again, players opinions (Barkley, Shaq) matter wayyy more than the stat nerds.

Except for when Isiah and Pippen say Lebron is GOAT, then it doesn't count. When Manu says this, it doesn't count.

midnightpulp
05-28-2018, 11:05 PM
The talent is fine but the philosophy around the game is worse than ever. Basketball is fundamentally broken right now.

HarlemHeat37
05-28-2018, 11:05 PM
The talent is fine but the philosophy around the game is worse than ever. Basketball is fundamentally broken right now.

I'm always cool with change, tbh..I wouldn't mind if they widened the court and moved the line back..

midnightpulp
05-28-2018, 11:14 PM
I'm always cool with change, tbh..I wouldn't mind if they widened the court and moved the line back..

It won't happen, since like I always say in my anti-basketball rants, the NBA found their "formula" that bests draw in casual fans. And this isn't me yelling at the cloud, since I'm nostalgic for some bygone era. I get what the NBA was trying to do with the rule changes, and for a little while, it worked as I think Colangelo and Co. intended. Less iso, whether off the dribble or in the post, more spacing, passing, and a general sense of "team play." It's not even about the 2014 Spurs, etc. I remember pundits calling the Gasol/Kobe Lakers one of the best passing teams of all-time, and indeed, they had a mix of post, iso, and a balanced passing attack (Gasol, Odom, and even Kobe could pass a little). Now we have playoff teams shooting 7-44 from three. I understand the Rockets needed to gamble, but they play that way regardless.

Arcadian
05-29-2018, 02:55 AM
:lol Funny how he didn't mention Kawhi

Stabula
05-29-2018, 03:14 AM
:lol Funny how he didn't mention Kawhi

Was just going to say this as well. Another covert slight against Kawhi?

Stabula
05-29-2018, 03:15 AM
Also :lol at him mentioning Chucky and Frauden

endrity
05-29-2018, 05:55 AM

I don't necessarily agree with him, but :wow that's love from a player who played in an era that featured Shaq/Duncan/Kobe/KG/Dirk in their prime..

He played against all these players, can't disregard his opinion, even though I don't necessarily agree with it..

Is this a hit on Kawhi or something?!!!

Because LeBron aside I wouldn't put any of the other guys on the level of Shaq/Duncan/Dirk/Kobe/KG. Well maybe Durant and KG, but that's pretty much it. Westbrook and Harden have no business being there at all, and Curry gets in only if you count single season highs and take his 2015-16 season.

Brazil
05-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Well Manu forgot Kawhi...

not

Fabbs
05-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Alzheimers sucking up to
:lol todays NBA.

DMC
05-29-2018, 07:53 AM

Dominant doesn't mean they are better than the other eras. It could just mean a lack of talent elsewhere. That's how it goes when you talk about differential.

Chris Fall
05-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Don’t think it’s a slight on Kawhi. Assuming Harden wins it this year, he’s listing League MVPs.

Phenomanul
05-29-2018, 08:39 AM
The All-Star synergies tend to conflate true comparisons. Seriously Curry, Durant have Thompson in their ranks (on the greatest catch and shoot players of all time) drawing attention away from them - giving them more space to "dominate".

Durant wasn't "this dominant" during his time with Westbrook and relied heavily on the zebras to move through the playoffs...

ElNono
05-29-2018, 08:43 AM
Well Manu forgot Kawhi...

not

who?

Brazil
05-29-2018, 09:20 AM
who?

:lol

ducks
05-29-2018, 11:50 AM
people shot more threes now then every before
score and seem more dominate because they can go off in a quarter more
shaq and Duncan ususally just shoot twos

SAGirl
05-29-2018, 02:49 PM

He's getting old, and still playing.

I imagine comparatively speaking, he thought the guys from his own prime were not that formidable since he could defeat them at some point. He now can't get past any of the current guys so they seem formidable.

The highlight of the sentence tho, is him not including Kawhi in that list...

daslicer
05-29-2018, 03:05 PM
He's getting old, and still playing.

I imagine comparatively speaking, he thought the guys from his own prime were not that formidable since he could defeat them at some point. He now can't get past any of the current guys so they seem formidable.

The highlight of the sentence tho, is him not including Kawhi in that list...

I agree and also factor in when Manu came into the league the top perimeter players were Kobe,Tmac, Allen,Nash,Carter,Kidd. He defeated everybody in that group except Tmac since the spurs never faced Tmac in the playoffs. Anyways Manu has also defeated everybody in the current group he listed. I think he views Durant as the most formidable opponent since he's lost to him a bunch of times in the playoffs.

DAF86
05-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Manu himself would be a borderline top 5 player in today's NBA. I mean, if his diluted version is a perennial MVP candidate and will finally win it this year, he would surely thrive as well.

TD 21
05-29-2018, 04:49 PM
:lmao At him listing Westbrook, but not Leonard and Davis. Of course he'd think they're better than the best of other eras because they're all perimeter players. Most of them in this era have little to no respect for bigs.

Most people don't period. That's why the GOAT discussion almost always revolves around Jordan and James, with Johnson, Bird and Bryant on the fringes.

Bigs are ostracized in a sport they've historically dominated. I know the game has changed, but I've long heard the term "best big man" (as if there's a ceiling to their impact), yet never heard the term "best perimeter player".

superbigtime
05-31-2018, 02:19 PM
this seems like a really strange thing for Manu to spout off.

MultiTroll
05-31-2018, 02:36 PM
this seems like a really strange thing for Manu to spout off.
Wonder if Alzheimer's beginning can be traced to 2013 or even before.