PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts ?

ECOV
06-01-2018, 11:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Y9ucKnfE8

daslicer
06-01-2018, 11:22 AM
We know this is the biggest gripe of the Manutards in here but no I don't believe he should have been Finals MVP.

ECOV
06-01-2018, 11:28 AM
We know this is the biggest gripe of the Manutards in here but no I don't believe he should have been Finals MVP.
may i ask why you think that?

Brazil
06-01-2018, 11:31 AM
may i ask why you think that?

because Duncan deserved it more

ECOV
06-01-2018, 11:32 AM
because Duncan deserved it more
its like talking to a wall on this site

TheGreatYacht
06-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Don't ask why if you already know then, Argie fag.

keeferob25
06-01-2018, 11:37 AM
I feel that with this topic people are asking two different things. I believe if we're asking who the most VALUABLE player was that series it's unquestionably Duncan. Detroit's strength was their front court and how they could control the paint defensively and with rebounding. Ben was the leagues BEST rebounder and interior disruptor and Rasheed was the leagues elite post defender. Duncan had Rasho, sorry and Nazr to assist but none of them were elite in any category
Essentially Duncan was tasked with controlling the interior ALL BY HIMSELF on TWO bad ankles. He outplayed overall both Wallace's. That left the advantage with whichever teams guard play was better. Manu tipped the scale and THAT is why we won. But Duncan was the one that neutralized what REALLY made Detroit special and that's Prince and the Wallace's controlling the paint.

Brazil
06-01-2018, 11:39 AM

:lol it has been discussed hundreds of times already, what's your new take on this topic ?

keeferob25
06-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Manu however was the most OUTSTANDING player in that series meaning he had the cleanest and most dynamic performance overall. Duncan shot a low percentage and had high turnover rate from my recollection. Manu moreso shredded the perimeter defense. But Duncans task was taller. To me if you view the MVP as who had the most OUTSTANDING performance then it is Manu. But it we are talking true value then it was right to go to Duncan.

HarlemHeat37
06-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Definitely should have been, no-brainer..some voting for Finals MVP is completely illogical and inconsistent..

Worst of all-time:
1. Iguodala over Curry
2. Duncan over Manu
3. Kobe over Gasol

Duncan had the much more difficult matchup, the Wallaces frontcourt was probably the best defensive duo in modern NBA history, but that's irrelevant in this discussion..I could understand if Manu was a role player benefiting from the attention of the bigger star like Iguodala in 2015 or Danny Green in 2013, but that wasn't the case..

DAF86
06-01-2018, 11:50 AM
If that final would have been played today, Manu would have won it.

To me they should have been Co-MVP's.

duncan2k5
06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
No one who watched the series would argue for Manu... That clinching game, Detroit seemed like they were imposing their will... That was until Duncan took them on his back... He got all of their front court in foul trouble, which drastically shifted the momentum... Manu did play well, but Duncan was definitely the mvp, and he was the main reason we won that clinching game

lmbebo
06-01-2018, 12:09 PM
I miss those ginobli years ..

Russ
06-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Spurs Finals MVPs as should have been:

1999: Tim Duncan

2003: Tim Duncan

2005: Manu Ginobili

2007: Tony Parker

2014: Tim Duncan

Bottom line: Tim Duncan wins Finals MVP in three different decades.

hater
06-01-2018, 12:32 PM
:lmao manutards still with this fantasy

He was good that seris and probably deservd some consideration which he did thats all

ECOV
06-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Don't ask why if you already know then, Argie fag.
its a forum ****, to ask questions,opions, and discuss topics.

daslicer
06-01-2018, 01:08 PM
No one who watched the series would argue for Manu... That clinching game, Detroit seemed like they were imposing their will... That was until Duncan took them on his back... He got all of their front court in foul trouble, which drastically shifted the momentum... Manu did play well, but Duncan was definitely the mvp, and he was the main reason we won that clinching game

Agreed. I remember in game 7 there was a stretch where the Spurs got down by I think 10 in third quarter and it looked like Detroit was going to pull away and win that game. On the '05 championship DVD there is a clip where Duncan steps up as a leader in a time out telling everybody that they have to trust him and if they execute the game plan that they will be fine. After the time out Duncan started playing super aggressive diving for lose balls and getting guys in foul trouble. Once that happened the rest of the team followed and the Spurs took over the game and never looked back.

DAF86
06-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Yet, in the voting that year there was a difference of just one vote, and nowadays most people say Manu should have got it over Duncan. But yeah, no one would argue for Manu? :lol

SuperCam
06-01-2018, 02:28 PM
manure was closer to winning mvp for dallas in '06 and miami in '13 tbqh

HarlemHeat37
06-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Yet, in the voting that year there was a difference of just one vote, and nowadays most people say Manu should have got it over Duncan. But yeah, no one would argue for Manu? :lol

:lol these guys sound like Kobe fans in 2010..

Duncan deserved Finals MVP because he inspired the team during a timeout..damn..

daslicer
06-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Duncan deserved Finals MVP because he inspired the team during a timeout..damn..

Lame trolling like always. Anyways if you want to call me out be a man and call me out directly. :lol Pretty silly you couldn't call me out directly.

coachmac87
06-01-2018, 02:35 PM

He deserved it because he was the face of the franchise, a champion and 2x league mvp...

Mugen
06-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Manu that entire 2005 run was fun AF to watch tbh.

HarlemHeat37
06-01-2018, 02:46 PM
He deserved it because he was the face of the franchise, a champion and 2x league mvp...

Then why didn't he win it in 2007?:lol

Tim's struggles were very visible during that series, especially on the free throw line..partly due to the opposition(GOAT defensive duo up front), but also due to the injury, of course..as a huge Duncan fan and just a teenager at the time, I remember being saddened by how poor he looked..

Thankfully, Manu elevated his game to new levels and Horry stepped up(Parker was horrendous throughout the series)..I wouldn't be surprised if that series is the reason Horry doesn't hold Tim in high regard compared to the other greats that he played with .

coachmac87
06-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Then why didn't he win it in 2007?:lol

Tim's struggles were very visible during that series, especially on the free throw line..partly due to the opposition(GOAT defensive duo up front), but also due to the injury, of course..as a huge Duncan fan and just a teenager at the time, I remember being saddened by how poor he looked..

Thankfully, Manu elevated his game to new levels and Horry stepped up(Parker was horrendous throughout the series)..I wouldn't be surprised if that series is the reason Horry doesn't hold Tim in high regard compared to the other greats that he played with .

Parker dominated that series...it was a sweep and didn’t go 7 games. And like you even said Duncan performed despite being hurt and leaving his mark against the Wallace’s..plus his defensive impact

TD 21
06-01-2018, 03:05 PM
:lmao At the so called Duncan fan, who either criticizes or downplays him at every turn (and does the opposite with Ginobili), calling the Wallace boys the greatest defensive front line of all time, ahead of the twin towers.

There's an argument for Ginobili, but it's funny how the Duncan criticis, giddy at him looking mortal for the first time, never seem to bring up his playing on two sprained ankles.

Horry is biased and bitter both because he wanted to keep playing when they no longer wanted him and Duncan used to destroy him when he was a Laker.

daslicer
06-01-2018, 03:08 PM
:lmao At the so called Duncan fan, who either criticizes or downplays him at every turn (and does the opposite with Ginobili), calling the Wallace boys the greatest defensive front line of all time, ahead of the twin towers.

There's an argument for Ginobili, but it's funny how the Duncan criticis, giddy at him looking mortal for the first time, never seem to bring up his playing on two sprained ankles.

Horry is biased and bitter both because he wanted to keep playing when they no longer wanted him and Duncan used to destroy him when he was a Laker.

He was never a Duncan fan to begin with. He's a troll who got exposed several years ago who was originally a Heat fan during the Shaq-Wade era on Realgm. He got banned from Realgm and discovered this forum and has been here ever since.

SuperCam
06-01-2018, 03:31 PM
He was never a Duncan fan to begin with. He's a troll who got exposed several years ago who was originally a Heat fan during the Shaq-Wade era on Realgm. He got banned from Realgm and discovered this forum and has been here ever since.

Is this true? :lol

superbigtime
06-01-2018, 03:58 PM
I love Manu. Love him. But Tim was the MVP.

cd98
06-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Probably should've been co-MVP. Manu didn't get enough NBA accolades for how good he was. That said, in that series, Tim was not only playing against the two best defensive bigs, but he also had bone spurs and could barely move. So the fact that he was as efficient as he was under those circumstances, is fairly incredible. But I think he won the MVP for the judges due to that third quarter stretch in game 7 when he really put the Spurs on his back.

The only regret about Tim getting it is that Tim has a room full of NBA accolades. Manu never got enough recognition.

daslicer
06-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Is this true? :lol

Yes around 2010 or 2011 someone posted old screenshots in here of his old posts on realgm. Ironically he had the same screen name on realgm.

TheGreatYacht
06-01-2018, 04:37 PM

:lol

Shit schtick tbh

spursistan
06-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Obviously he is trying to be contrarian as per usual but that should not be let slide :lmao..

TD 21
06-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Obviously he is trying to be contrarian as per usual but that should not be let slide :lmao..

Yeah, but the funny thing is, in this case being contrarian would be to criticize and downplay Ginobili at every turn.

coachmac87
06-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Your name is TD 21....

tholdren
06-01-2018, 05:36 PM
Was the real mvp the year kl won. The end

tmtcsc
06-01-2018, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't have had an issue with Manu winning MVP. It was close. Tim made everyone else around him better and I think we are seeing that now more than ever. That Finals was terrific for Manu and I actually thought he was going to get the Finals MVP.

HarlemHeat37
06-01-2018, 07:37 PM

Or I'm one of the few unbiased posters on this forum:lol

Duncan is my favorite player of all-time, but I'm not a Kobe stan, I can admit my favorite player's flaws, that nigga ain't paying my mortgage..

SpurOutofTownFan
06-01-2018, 07:46 PM
I recently watched the entire NBA final series of 2005 and I still believe Manu should have won over Duncan or at least they should have shared it if it's possible. Over the entire series, it was Manu who mostly carried the team. People tend to look only at the last game.

People forget but Detroit was a really really good team and very well coached. Detroit used to keep teams scoring in the 80s or low 90s every game. It was very tough to score against those guys. Their starting 5 was really really good. Hamilton was a true #2 who could hit you for 30 pts every game - he had all the shooting skills. Billups was a great PG with a great 3 range - he wasn't asked to score but I remember he would score a 3 here and there to destroy any momentum. Prince was 3 with a huge wingspan, very long and athletic - prone to block layups, etc. And finally the Wallace boys were the best rim protectors in the league aside from Duncan himself.

The previous year they had dismantled the favorite lakers who were super stacked - I remember Detroit going into that NBA final were more than underdogs. I remember no one gave a shot at Detroit to get the lakers. We are talking about Prime Kobe with pretty-much prime Shaq with Malone, Payton, Prime Fisher, etc coached by one of the best coaches to have ever coached in the NBA

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-01-2018, 07:54 PM
It was certainly debatable...apparently even 13 years later. It was awesome to see the Spurs in that series. Even hobbled, Tim showed why he's the GOAT, along with prime Manu, prime Parker, prime Bowen that season. It was fun to be a fan...and the seven game Finals was pretty awesome as well.

Tim would have won in '13 also, which would have been special...we'd of never had the beautiful game, though, had that happened.

SAGirl
06-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Over 13 years ago...
I imagine as the Spurs keep being irrelevant with Kiwi sitting out bc of injuries, this kind of discussion will be common. :toast

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-01-2018, 08:10 PM
I recently watched the entire NBA final series of 2005 and I still believe Manu should have won over Duncan or at least they should have shared it if it's possible. Over the entire series, it was Manu who mostly carried the team. People tend to look only at the last game.

People forget but Detroit was a really really good team and very well coached. Detroit used to keep teams scoring in the 80s or low 90s every game. It was very tough to score against those guys. Their starting 5 was really really good. Hamilton was a true #2 who could hit you for 30 pts every game - he had all the shooting skills. Billups was a great PG with a great 3 range - he wasn't asked to score but I remember he would score a 3 here and there to destroy any momentum. Prince was 3 with a huge wingspan, very long and athletic - prone to block layups, etc. And finally the Wallace boys were the best rim protectors in the league aside from Duncan himself.

The previous year they had dismantled the favorite lakers who were super stacked - I remember Detroit going into that NBA final were more than underdogs. I remember no one gave a shot at Detroit to get the lakers. We are talking about Prime Kobe with pretty-much prime Shaq with Malone, Payton, Prime Fisher, etc coached by one of the best coaches to have ever coached in the NBA

In '05 I personally thought it was Manu's award. I was actually a little surprised when Timmy got it.

james evans
06-01-2018, 08:42 PM
manure was closer to winning mvp for dallas in '06 and miami in '13 tbqh

diego
06-01-2018, 08:51 PM
For me, it should have been tim every time. Because FMVP is stupid when the conference finals or even semifinals is often the most difficult series (wasnt around for 99, but that was the case for 2003 (lakers and mavs > nets), 2007 (nugs, suns, jazz > cavs), and arguably 2014 as well (okc vs heat). And over the course of all of those playoffs, tim was the backbone and most irreplaceable on the team.

barbacoataco
06-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Fairly close but I still would say Duncan. Manu was great that year.

barbacoataco
06-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Agree that was s good Pistons team. They took down Lakers in 2004. Of course Spurs should have won against Lakers in 2004.

diego
06-01-2018, 09:06 PM
i suppose you could debate pistons suns in 05 too, but IMO defense wins championships and suns like the rockets now were always paper tigers.

manu was awesome that year though, people forget he started most of those playoffs, had one of the best ever playoff runs, then got sent to the bench to accomodate finley. cant help but wonder what would have happened if the spurs had signed a better big to help timmy and kept manu in the starting lineup instead. I wish I could find how out how many times Manu would snatch the ball up and hit a dunk or layup right off the tip, it was probably over 30% of his starts.

TMTTRIO
06-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Tim Duncan deserved it but Manu had an amazing whole playoffs that year. Put it this way, Tim couldn't be replaced whereas it would be really hard but Manu could've been replaced if the other guys stepped up.

TD 21
06-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Or I'm one of the few unbiased posters on this forum:lol

Duncan is my favorite player of all-time, but I'm not a Kobe stan, I can admit my favorite player's flaws, that nigga ain't paying my mortgage..

:lol You're as biased as they come, from James, to Curry, to Ginobili, etc. and as much as you'll attempt to pass off Green, Westbrook and Warriors, as all trolling, you're clearly a fan at the same time. With the exception of Ginobili, the one thing they all have in common is, they're all lightning rods.

You supposedly being a Spurs and Duncan fan was likely for essentially the same reason: it wasn't fashionable until late in the Duncan era. By that point, you'd established a regular banter with a myriad of posters on here and other boards, so you keep up the pretense.

daslicer
06-02-2018, 03:54 PM
:lol You're as biased as they come, from James, to Curry, to Ginobili, etc. and as much as you'll attempt to pass off Green, Westbrook and Warriors, as all trolling, you're clearly a fan at the same time. With the exception of Ginobili, the one thing they all have in common is, they're all lightning rods.

You supposedly being a Spurs and Duncan fan was likely for essentially the same reason: it wasn't fashionable until late in the Duncan era. By that point, you'd established a regular banter with a myriad of posters on here and other boards, so you keep up the pretense.

Ding Ding we got a winner

cutewizard
06-03-2018, 06:00 AM
Probably should've been co-MVP. Manu didn't get enough NBA accolades for how good he was. That said, in that series, Tim was not only playing against the two best defensive bigs, but he also had bone spurs and could barely move. So the fact that he was as efficient as he was under those circumstances, is fairly incredible. But I think he won the MVP for the judges due to that third quarter stretch in game 7 when he really put the Spurs on his back.

The only regret about Tim getting it is that Tim has a room full of NBA accolades. Manu never got enough recognition.

:bobo

cutewizard
06-03-2018, 06:04 AM

That Detroit Pistons team versus these Warriors would be fun to watch.......

SpurOutofTownFan
06-03-2018, 09:17 AM
That Detroit Pistons team versus these Warriors would be fun to watch.......

indeed

cd021
06-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Duncan was compared to his '99 and '03 performances-which didn't stack up but was still great 20 ppg, 14 rpg, 2 bpg.

Manu averaged ~ 19ppg, 6 rpg, 4 apg and 1 steal on about 50%/39%/85%

advanced numbers favor Manu,- such as TS% Duncan shot poorly from the floor and was only a +3 net rtg and 47% TS, compared to Manu's +14 and a TS% of 63.6 percent

Manu should've won it.

Would've been cool to have Finals MVP's breakdown like this; Duncan (2) Manu (1), Parker (1), Kawhi (1)

DMC
06-03-2018, 12:09 PM
"Here's a video... offer something substational in response"

OP offers nothing - asks for something in return.

I've never been motivated to watch a video to argue with a point the OP didn't make. Plus it doesn't matter what should have happened 13 years ago. Petition your government for a redress of grievances, if that's even allowed.

The real question is who would have won the MVP in 2013 had the Spurs won..? Danny Green? Gary Neal?

Did Kawhi deserve it.

Seventyniner
06-03-2018, 01:19 PM
For me, it should have been tim every time. Because FMVP is stupid when the conference finals or even semifinals is often the most difficult series (wasnt around for 99, but that was the case for 2003 (lakers and mavs > nets), 2007 (nugs, suns, jazz > cavs), and arguably 2014 as well (okc vs heat). And over the course of all of those playoffs, tim was the backbone and most irreplaceable on the team.

If there was an award for best player in the playoffs, instead of just the Finals, Tim would have at least 4 and maybe 5. Of course, in that case you could make an argument for giving it to LeBron even when he loses in the Finals.

Maj_G
06-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Manu would have been the MVP had Pop not benched him. In today's NBA he is the MPV. That does not take away anything Tim did, but there is no doubt that Manu was the Heart and Soul of that team.

TheGreatYacht
06-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Manu would have been the MVP had Pop not benched him. In today's NBA he is the MPV. That does not take away anything Tim did, but there is no doubt that Manu was the Heart and Soul of that team.
Now type this without a penis on your lip

Maj_G
06-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Now type this without a penis on your lip

duncan2k5
06-03-2018, 06:53 PM

You can vote without having watch the series... You DO know that... Right? A 3 year old can vote

duncan2k5
06-03-2018, 07:00 PM
And the pistons team in 04 were massive underdogs to the Lakers... They would have gotten smashed if Kobe wasn't hell bent on being finals mvp... Remember he said he was tired of being a sidekick... Shaq shot 63% in that series, while Kobe shot about 36%...and Kobe took way more shots... They even asked Shaq why the team stopped giving him the ball when he seemed unstoppable, and he said "story of my life"

DAF86
06-03-2018, 09:13 PM
You can vote without having watch the series... You DO know that... Right? A 3 year old can vote

Mmmh, what? I'm talking about professional journalists that voted to hand out the MVP finals award. :lol

barbacoataco
06-03-2018, 11:07 PM
And the pistons team in 04 were massive underdogs to the Lakers... They would have gotten smashed if Kobe wasn't hell bent on being finals mvp... Remember he said he was tired of being a sidekick... Shaq shot 63% in that series, while Kobe shot about 36%...and Kobe took way more shots... They even asked Shaq why the team stopped giving him the ball when he seemed unstoppable, and he said "story of my life"

The problem with Shaq is that teams didn't want the ball in his hands closing out games because he couldn't make free throws. He was basically irrelevant the last 4-5 minutes of close games, because teams would just foul him and he couldn't make it. Also that Detroit team was so good at disrupting passing that they couldn't get the ball to him where he wanted it.

Arcadian
06-04-2018, 01:09 AM
Leading your team in points, rebounds, and blocks (and leading both teams in points and rebounds) gets you Finals MVP every time. That's all there is to it.

Plus, Tim was robbed of FMVP in 2013 when he certainly would have won it had they held onto game 6. So even if you think he didn't deserve it in 05, that balances it out.