PDA

View Full Version : For all those who have said Fire pop or are going to say it this season...

Murphy
10-21-2005, 12:28 PM
For all those who have said, are saying, and will say Fire pop...
Trophys don't Lie:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Larry_O'Brien_trophy.jpg

sprrs
10-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Every Spurs fan here who says we should fire pop is being sarcastic

ro_50
10-21-2005, 01:24 PM
There was a time awhile back, when the Spurs started 6-8 during the lockout season in which the Spurs won its first championship that I thought he should have just concentrated on GM duties and get a coach.

I'm happy he stayed. At that time, there was a lot of pressure.

Oh, Gee!!
10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I think most spurs fans wanted Pop gone during that time

Horry For 3!
10-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I never wanted Pop gone actually, I have always liked him.

Vashner
10-21-2005, 02:40 PM
But wait.. we are a small town.. let's go back in time and get rid of the franchise cause we can't even be champions of a pro team.. remember.. small market . (being stupid).

Pop is a god now...

GoSpurs21
10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I never wanted Pop gone actually, I have always liked him.I agree. How could you not like his defense first attitude?

Those who wanted Pop fired are usually the fair weather fans.

TwoHandJam
10-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I think Pop's coaching skills were actually quite mediocre when he took over the job but Tim and David's skills made up for a lot of his shortcomings. Year by year his experience has broadened and I think now he is proving to be much more flexible and effective as a coach.

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Exactly. Pop has significantly improved with time. It's a chicken and egg thing, given his players, but he definitely deserves props for knowing how to evolve.

However, anyone who says he was a great coach when he started doesn't know what he's talking about.

ro_50
10-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Some that wanted him gone were not fairweathered fans.

I'm not a fair weather fan. I've been a fan for 16 years (I'm 25).

Oh, Gee!!
10-21-2005, 04:22 PM
I agree. How could you not like his defense first attitude?

Those who wanted Pop fired are usually the fair weather fans.

not really. I wanted him fired when he first took over b/c I thought he did Coach Hill dirty. I thought that Hill was a good coach that was on the verge of taking the Spurs all the way. In retrospect, it was a stroke of genius. :shootme

SequSpur
10-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Look in between these lines:

_

_

That is how many trophies Pop wins without Duncan.

Pop blows.

timvp
10-21-2005, 06:16 PM

_

_

Pop blows.

Well done.

:rollin

GoSpurs21
10-21-2005, 07:07 PM

_

_

Pop blows.

the same amount of trophies Duncan has won without Pop

its pointless to say that one would have won jack without the other, just like its pointless to say Hill was a good coach - decent O terrible D and everone that has 2 brain cells to rub together knows D wins championships. If Hill was such a good coach how come he couldnt get a decent coaching job?

get over your bias towards one of the best coaches in the NBA. David was better in his prime than Duncan, but David never got the cast of characters like Pop gave Duncan.

Pop with Duncan help have built the Spurs into the envy of the league, but some want to hang on to petty things. Fine I'll enjoy routing for my favorite NBA coach GO POP and yall hang on to that haterd.

bull62400
10-21-2005, 08:30 PM
u know, i really really like Coach Bob Hill, when Pop took over, I didnt like him and thought he should be fired. I confessed, i didnt believe in coach pop at first, but now hes the man, sorry coach, pleease forgive me.

FromWayDowntown
10-21-2005, 08:42 PM
FIRE POP!!!

(couldn't resist . . . . it's been bugging me all day).

Despot
10-21-2005, 10:17 PM
However, anyone who says he was a great coach when he started doesn't know what he's talking about.

I hated Pop at first, hence my nickname for him, "Son of a Vich", but with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think he was all that bad in the beginning. It was just the circumstances, I mean, most coaches don't have the time, support, patience and cajones to actually "BUILD" a team. They take what they are given and run with it because they are so pressured into winning. Defensive schemes, philosophies, teams and a winning atmosphere are not formed overnight, it takes years, and most owners won't put up with the mediocrity that comes with those baby steps, thankfully for the Spurs, the times were not that bad. Now I tend to look at those early times as a sort of very extended training camp.

Oh, and it helps to be able to get 2 1st overall draft picks within a 10 year span.

thekingrobert
10-21-2005, 11:02 PM
didnt they fire Tark to get Pop a job and not Hill?

CoolArrow
10-21-2005, 11:32 PM
No, Tark just sucked.

maddnezz
10-22-2005, 12:54 AM
coach of the year, three rings and defensive teams since he started? What da problem is??????????????