PDA

View Full Version : Study: The effect of partisanship and political advertising on close family ties

Winehole23
06-03-2018, 11:11 AM
partisanship measurably shortened Thanksgiving visits:

Research on growing American political polarization and antipathy primarily studies public institutions and political processes, ignoring private effects, including strained family ties. Using anonymized smartphone-location data and precinct-level voting, we show that Thanksgiving dinners attended by residents from opposing-party precincts were 30 to 50 minutes shorter than same-party dinners. This decline from a mean of 257 minutes survives extensive spatial and demographic controls. Reductions in the duration of Thanksgiving dinner in 2016 tripled for travelers from media markets with heavy political advertising—an effect not observed in 2015—implying a relationship to election-related behavior. Effects appear asymmetric: Although fewer Democratic-precinct residents traveled in 2016 than in 2015, Republican-precinct residents shortened their Thanksgiving dinners by more minutes in response to political differences. Nationwide, 34 million hours of cross-partisan Thanksgiving dinner discourse were lost in 2016 owing to partisan effects.http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6392/1020

rmt
06-03-2018, 05:47 PM
I'm not paying to read that article.

AaronY
06-03-2018, 05:49 PM
if the area had a lot of political advertising it was likely a swing district since it was up for grabs where people already had opposing views already as opposed to a deep blue or deep red area where most everyone agrees

rmt
06-03-2018, 05:50 PM
partisanship measurably shortened Thanksgiving visits:

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6392/1020

Although fewer Democratic-precinct residents traveled in 2016 than in 2015, Republican-precinct residents shortened their Thanksgiving dinners by more minutes in response to political differences.

What am I to infer from that blurb? That Republicans shortened their dinners but Democrats didn't even bother going?

ElNono
06-03-2018, 06:13 PM

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/keith.chen/papers/Final_Science18.pdf

Winehole23
06-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Although fewer Democratic-precinct residents traveled in 2016 than in 2015, Republican-precinct residents shortened their Thanksgiving dinners by more minutes in response to political differences.

What am I to infer from that blurb? That Republicans shortened their dinners but Democrats didn't even bother going?Sounds reasonable

SnakeBoy
06-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Give Winehole time. He'll post the entire article, one sentence at a time.

ElNono
06-05-2018, 05:01 AM

can't wait :lol

benefactor
06-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Seems legit. I rarely go see my family. Not only are they :cry muh Jesus :cry but they are also Trumptards. There's not a bigger walking contradiction on the planet than an evangelical Christian that openly supports Trump.

benefactor
06-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Conversely, I have friends that are deeply entrenched on both sides that I enjoy spending time with. But the difference is most of those avoid spirited political discussions, much like I do. The Trumpers in this group of friends have become noticeably more quiet the more unhinged Trump becomes. If something does come up, typically the "but Clinton" response is the go to...so I'd say a lot of them are more on the "Trump president, not Clinton" team and not the ducks team who run around tripping over their own dicks in order to prop Trump up.

SnakeBoy
06-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Conversely, I have friends that are deeply entrenched on both sides that I enjoy spending time with. But the difference is most of those avoid spirited political discussions, much like I do. The Trumpers in this group of friends have become noticeably more quiet the more unhinged Trump becomes. If something does come up, typically the "but Clinton" response is the go to...so I'd say a lot of them are more on the "Trump president, not Clinton" team and not the ducks team who run around tripping over their own dicks in order to prop Trump up.

They're becoming more quiet around you the more unhinged you become not Trump. I have some very liberal friends I won't even mention anything political around because the slightest thing sends them into full triggered mode at this point. It's all the winning that's getting to them.

Chris
06-05-2018, 04:19 PM
But the difference is most of those avoid spirited political discussions, much like I do.

That's because you're a dumb motherfucker. Toss back another IPA you fruit loop.

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:23 PM
That's because you're a dumb motherfucker. Toss back another IPA you fruit loop.

So Christ-like

Chris
06-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Atheist Blake attacking my religion again. *shrug

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Atheist Blake attacking my religion again. *shrug

You are doing your religion a disservice, dumbass. Actually you're simply just a phony imo.

Mikeanaro
06-05-2018, 04:29 PM
That happens everywhere, the intolerant lefties want to shovel their agenda down people´s throats.

Chris
06-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Atheist Blake concerned about the integrity of my religion. *shrug

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:30 PM
That happens everywhere, the intolerant lefties want to shovel their agenda down people´s throats.

Oh you mean like how the intolerant righties want to shovel their agendas down people's throats.

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Phony Chris has incredibly poor reading comprehension skills.

He thinks I'm attacking his religion when I'm really just calling him a huge retarded hypocrite that is making zombie jesus SAD!

SnakeBoy
06-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Right on cue Blake goes into full triggered mode

Chris
06-05-2018, 04:34 PM
He thinks I'm attacking his religion when I'm really just calling him a huge retarded hypocrite that is making zombie jesus SAD!

Atheist Blake contradicts himself in a single sentence. *shrug

Mikeanaro
06-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Oh you mean like how the intolerant righties want to shovel their agendas down people's throats.
How? its your kind the one blaming Trump for everything, the one calling him racist, rapist, bigot, corrupt (without proof) anti gay, etc etc.
Your kind has media pushing a dirty agenda all day taking non sense.
Your kind created KKK.
Your kind thinks deserves everything for free.
Your kind is the intolerant one who judges people because voted for Trump/Macri etc.
Your kind fires people when they say something offensive, but when lefties say something offensive nothing happens, quad standard.

Thats why Trump and Macri won, people got tired of that BS, and people who voted for Obama/Cristina changed their minds.
Economy now is better, do you think its important?

Trump went to the debates to discuss politics and your bitch went there to complain like someone who doesnt fuck in a decade.
WHY ARE YOU RACIST? WHY YOU HATE WOMEN? BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Histerical loons.

rmt
06-05-2018, 04:37 PM

At work, saying anything that indicates that I am a Trump voter would be hazardous to my (work) health and that, in of itself, is as he would say - SAD. My manager cannot even contemplate that anyone could vote for Trump. Some go on and on about how horrible Trump is and the ones who don't contribute to the pile-on are probably Trump voters. I don't think he's unhinged - he's doing exactly what I voted him in for - I'm not blind to his faults but only someone like him (rich, egotistical, brash, etc) could have survived all that's been thrown at him. Who one votes for is definitely not someone who one (an evangelical Christian - which I am) would marry, call a friend, admire, associate with, etc. He wasn't voted in to be any of those things but to do the things he campaigned on (which he's trying to do).

rmt
06-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Funny how some articles said "narrow" decision re: baker - I didn't know 7-2 was narrow.

- in response to Mike's comment about media pushing an agenda.

Chris
06-05-2018, 04:43 PM
AP started the narrow trend.

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Atheist Blake contradicts himself in a single sentence. *shrug

The base definition of zombie is a dead person brought back to life.

You contradict your religion. You're a hypocrite.

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:53 PM
How? its your kind the one blaming Trump for everything, the one calling him racist, rapist, bigot, corrupt (without proof) anti gay, etc etc.

Righties push ridiculous religious based agendas all the time.
You're too stupid to discuss further.

Chris
06-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Blake defining zombie now. Totally unhinged. Poor fella.

Blake
06-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Blake defining zombie now. Totally unhinged. Poor fella.

Lol unhinged.

Chris is a phony Christian

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 05:27 PM
They're becoming more quiet around you the more unhinged you become not Trump. I have some very liberal friends I won't even mention anything political around because the slightest thing sends them into full triggered mode at this point. It's all the winning that's getting to them.

:tu

You are doing your religion a disservice, dumbass. Actually you're simply just a phony imo.

logic... if religion is bs then how could chris do a disservice to his religion? you have no legs to stand on blake. atheism is for losers that want to be so edgy in a world that shuns them.

truer words have never been said.

RandomGuy
06-05-2018, 05:31 PM

I snorted. That was funny.

You're still an asshole.

RandomGuy
06-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Yeah. I stopped trying to talk to the ducks team IRL.

Once you start listing off the dumb and crooked shit Trump does, it shocks them, because the right-wing media does such a good job at shielding the sheep.

Blake
06-05-2018, 05:34 PM
logic... if religion is bs then how could chris do a disservice to his religion? you have no legs to stand on blake. atheism is for losers that want to be so edgy in a world that shuns them.

Lol that's completely illogical. It's beyond old explaining how logical fallacies work to you. We go back and forth for a few more pages and you still don't get it.

Easier just to call you an idiot and move on.

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Lol that's completely illogical. It's beyond old explaining how logical fallacies work to you. We go back and forth for a few more pages and you still don't get it.

Easier just to call you an idiot and move on.

you're a joke blake.

Blake
06-05-2018, 05:43 PM
You're dunning-kruger, kw

Mikeanaro
06-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Righties push ridiculous religious based agendas all the time.
You're too stupid to discuss further.
Like Hillary winning chances at 98.2%? And thats according to your media
Who is the stupid now?
:lmao

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Who is the stupid now?

you're trying to argue with an egomaniac retard in blake. it's worthless to do so but still fun nonetheless.

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 07:38 PM
You're dunning-kruger, kw

describes you perfectly. i never claimed to be superior to any of yall. i'm just a dude living life not dictated by a political ideology like yourself. sorry if i can think for myself blake; too bad you can't. you're just like my brother which cracks me up even more.

Blake
06-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Who is the stupid now?

None of that rambling mess makes any sense. You're a loon.

Blake
06-05-2018, 07:46 PM
describes you perfectly. i never claimed to be superior to any of yall.

:lol liar

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 07:47 PM
:lol liar

prove it. you can sling mud all you want if you'd like though. either way, you're a douche with a complex. maybe you should go work with the spurs and have coach pop teach you how to get over yourself you egomaniac.

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 07:48 PM
btw you and my brother should be friends... yall can scissor each other while proclaiming how progressive yall sissy's are.

Mikeanaro
06-05-2018, 07:52 PM
you're trying to argue with an egomaniac retard in blake. it's worthless to do so but still fun nonetheless.
Lol, yeah, I get such a strange vibe from guys like him and Y Aaron, like they smoke a lot of weed or maybe pills and they refute anything with the most stupid comments.

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Lol, yeah, I get such a strange vibe from guys like him and Y Aaron, like they smoke a lot of weed or maybe pills and they refute anything with the most stupid comments.

i smoke a lot of weed... those dudes couldn't hang tbh. they're probably on meds(liberals love to be snug like a bug in a rug with their xans and whatnot) so the pills is most likely correct.

Blake
06-05-2018, 07:56 PM
prove it.

Gee that was tough

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Gee that was tough

never said i was above anyone... still haven't proved me wrong blake. not sorry that i indeed think you're an egomaniac retard though.

Blake
06-05-2018, 08:09 PM
never said i was above anyone... still haven't proved me wrong blake. not sorry that i indeed think you're an egomaniac retard though.

Do you think you're smarter than a retard?

koriwhat
06-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Do you think you're smarter than a retard?

so you do think you're a retard? this is an easy game to play.

Blake
06-05-2018, 11:11 PM
so you do think you're a retard? this is an easy game to play.

You think I'm one. If you think you're not one then you're implying you're above me.

Yes this is a simple game that you still don't get. It's why I know I'm smarter than you. By far.

benefactor
06-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Why would I be unhinged? I said very plainly I avoid the discussions as they are fruitless. I'd listen to them talk about it among themselves, but now that chatter has died down considerably. I rarely engage anyone in the political forum either...unless it's to point and laugh.

Exhibit A:

That's because you're a dumb motherfucker.
:lol

Blake
06-06-2018, 08:15 AM
you're trying to argue with an egomaniac retard in blake.

Lol, yeah, I get such a strange vibe from guys like him and Y Aaron, like they smoke a lot of weed

i smoke a lot of weed......

:lol I missed this the first time

koriwhat
06-06-2018, 03:18 PM
You think I'm one. If you think you're not one then you're implying you're above me.

Yes this is a simple game that you still don't get. It's why I know I'm smarter than you. By far.

loser.

:lol I missed this the first time

you've missed many clues past and present... just ask your ex.

Blake
06-06-2018, 03:29 PM
never said i was above anyone... still haven't proved me wrong blake.

loser.

It's fish in a barrel

koriwhat
06-06-2018, 03:50 PM
It's fish in a barrel

you are a loser with a loser mentality man. you take my words and mold them to fit your narrative over and over again while screaming for sympathy from like minded losers like yourself. you're a loser and that doesn't mean i think i'm smarter or above you. it just means you're a loser with a loser mentality. feminist pos blake.

Blake
06-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Oh a long post

Spurtacular
06-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Yea, righties need to work on their tolerance for cucks. Amirite?