PDA

View Full Version : Houston not a realistic option for lebron according to reports

duncan2k5
06-08-2018, 11:07 AM
San Antonio confirmed? Lol... I sure hope so: https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/07/houston-rockets-lebron-james-rockets-free-agency-realistic-serious-option/

ECOV
06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
I honestly think we have a good chance ,but of course I won't get my hopes up .

look_at_g_shred
06-08-2018, 11:20 AM
The Raptors really? LOL

rjv
06-08-2018, 11:23 AM
toronto? and if he goes to golden state he loses any chance of ever being up there with jordan.

duncan2k5
06-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Absolutely no way he goes to the raptors... Lebron will go to a team with a great coach that can manage his minutes while maximizing his game... If Houston is out, that leaves SA and Philly... He won't go to Boston... LA is trash... Knicks are worse

look_at_g_shred
06-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Absolutely no way he goes to the raptors... Lebron will go to a team with a great coach that can manage his minutes while maximizing his game... If Houston is out, that leaves SA and Philly... He won't go to Boston... LA is trash... Knicks are worse
Why wouldn't he go to boston? Bron & Kyrie swap

Ditty
06-08-2018, 11:33 AM
As long as he doesn’t go to Houston or GS then I don’t care where he goes. I think the Spurs screwed up their chances last offseason with the re-signing of Pau. If we are able to trade Pau & a future first to clear space then I think we have a shot.

baseline bum
06-08-2018, 11:35 AM
The Spurs would need Green & Gay to opt out and then find someone to absorb the money for either Mills or Gasol. That's a lot to ask with only Pick #18 to offer as a sweetener.

ducks
06-08-2018, 11:38 AM
could they just cut Gasol and spread it out 3-4 years?

DAF86
06-08-2018, 11:40 AM
At this point it seems like the most likely scenarios are LA, Sixers or Spurs.

LA doesn't make sense if he plans to win, so that leaves Sixers or Spurs. Out of those two he would be a much better fit in San Antonio.

marinoman
06-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Is he even planning on meeting with the spurs?

DAF86
06-08-2018, 11:44 AM
The Spurs would need Green & Gay to opt out and then find someone to absorb the money for either Mills or Gasol. That's a lot to ask with only Pick #18 to offer as a sweetener.

If Lebron says he wants to come here, I'm sure the Spurs would manage a way to talk Green and Gay into opting out so that they can get longer contracts for less money per year.

Also, with Tony's 15 millions expiring and buying out Gasol, wouldn't they make enough room?

Ditty
06-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Is he even planning on meeting with the spurs?

I think Lebron is waiting for two things to happen in order to meet with the Spurs. If these two don't happen there is not much of a point to meet with the Spurs.

1. Kawhi commits long term to the Spurs with the super max extension. Bron may have his doubts also that Kawhi wants to be here also.

2. Pop signs another extension. My father just passed away recently, so I know how tough it is for the widow or widower. He may not have much of a desire to coach anymore & want to spend more time with his family. Bron of course loves Pop, and would only play for him.

vy65
06-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Pau's contract - while an abortion - is essentially expiring with only 6.7MM cap hit should he be released for '19-'20. It's bad, but not as bad as 16MM.

vy65
06-08-2018, 12:06 PM

And also, I think Lebron has a no trade clause. That also limits the Cavs leverage, i.e., Bron could nix a trade that offers CLE a better package if he doesn't want to play for them. The NTC could strong arm CLE into accepting a less-optimal package.

Ice009
06-08-2018, 12:15 PM
I think Lebron is waiting for two things to happen in order to meet with the Spurs. If these two don't happen there is not much of a point to meet with the Spurs.

1. Kawhi commits long term to the Spurs with the super max extension. Bron may have his doubts also that Kawhi wants to be here also.

2. Pop signs another extension. My father just passed away recently, so I know how tough it is for the widow or widower. He may not have much of a desire to coach anymore & want to spend more time with his family. Bron of course loves Pop, and would only play for him.

I'm actually wondering if the Spurs can present Kawhi with two options. Could they say, hey, we're going for Lebron and if we can get him, will you take the regular max? If we don't get him, we'll give you the Supermax. You think Kawhi would be interested in that? If Lebron did come, I really don't think he should be getting paid less than Kawhi. I don't know if that would sit well with him.

TDomination
06-08-2018, 12:18 PM
If Lebron says he wants to come here, I'm sure the Spurs would manage a way to talk Green and Gay into opting out so that they can get longer contracts for less money per year.

Also, with Tony's 15 millions expiring and buying out Gasol, wouldn't they make enough room?

Doesn't green and gay need to opt in or out by the 24th of June? That's tough to persuade them to do when I doubt LeBron will have made his decision by then.

SpursDynasty85
06-08-2018, 12:19 PM
toronto? and if he goes to golden state he loses any chance of ever being up there with jordan.

What's wrong with Toronto? I haven't look at their salary cap. The only problem the Raptors had was they never had that One Superstar. Valucianas, Lowry, Derozan, Van Fleet, plus Lebron could do some major damage in the East and would likely be favored again over everyone even the Celtics. They match up relatively well against the Warriors too in that they have more physical defenders to wear down the Warriors. Lowry/Van Fleet on Steph, Derozan/Lebron on Thompson/KD, Valucianas on Draymond. Raptors arena and fan base is amazing and plus they do have Drake whom seems to fit the kind of celebrity personality Lebron would market with. Lebron's group might like it since it checks a lot of boxes: staying in the east, getting a better supporting cast, bigger market. Coach is still undecided and we all know Lebron loves picking his puppet coaches.

rjv
06-08-2018, 12:37 PM
What's wrong with Toronto? I haven't look at their salary cap. The only problem the Raptors had was they never had that One Superstar. Valucianas, Lowry, Derozan, Van Fleet, plus Lebron could do some major damage in the East and would likely be favored again over everyone even the Celtics. They match up relatively well against the Warriors too in that they have more physical defenders to wear down the Warriors. Lowry/Van Fleet on Steph, Derozan/Lebron on Thompson/KD, Valucianas on Draymond. Raptors arena and fan base is amazing and plus they do have Drake whom seems to fit the kind of celebrity personality Lebron would market with. Lebron's group might like it since it checks a lot of boxes: staying in the east, getting a better supporting cast, bigger market. Coach is still undecided and we all know Lebron loves picking his puppet coaches.

i didn't say anything was wrong with toronto. it's just that this is the first time i ever head them come up as a possible lebron location so it stood out to me.

baseline bum
06-08-2018, 12:37 PM

No, Green and Gay would have to opt out and be renounced and then one of Gasol/Mills salary dumped to make room for James' asking price. This is also assuming they renounce Parker.

baseline bum
06-08-2018, 12:40 PM
And also, I think Lebron has a no trade clause. That also limits the Cavs leverage, i.e., Bron could nix a trade that offers CLE a better package if he doesn't want to play for them. The NTC could strong arm CLE into accepting a less-optimal package.

The no trade clause would be moot since he'd be a free agent after opting out this summer. The Cavs aren't trading him if he doesn't opt out and the only reason for anyone to do a sign and trade is if the Cavs find someone they'd like that LeBron's new team would prefer to salary dump. For instance, if LeBron goes to LA and the Lakers need to salary dump Lonzo Ball to create a max cap slot for Chris Paul, then Cleveland would probably do a sign and trade of James to LA to land Ball.

DAF86
06-08-2018, 12:42 PM
No, Green and Gay would have to opt out and be renounced and then one of Gasol/Mills salary dumped to make room for James' asking price. This is also assuming they renounce Parker.

Let's say Green and Gay opt out and resign for something like 5 mil per year for the next 3 or 4 years. Parker signs for the vet min and one of Mills or Gasol gets salary dumped. Does that make enough room, or do Gay and Green need to be completely gone?

DPG21920
06-08-2018, 12:43 PM
I could see Kyrie/Bron in NY as dark horse. I’m sure Fiz hiring is something Bron was happy with.

DPG21920
06-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Let's say Green and Gay opt out and resign for something like 5 mil per year for the next 3 or 4 years. Parker signs for the vet min and one of Mills or Gasol gets salary dumped. Does that make enough room, or do Gay and Green need to be completely gone?

So I did the math (using the capulator):

If Danny & Rudy opt out and are renounced
If all free agents are renounced (Tony Parker, Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes, Davis Bertans, Hilliard, Costello)
If BP3 is waived (non-guaranteed deal)
If SA defers Milutinov to the following year
If SA trades Pau + 2019 first to a team like ATL for nothing back salary wise

SA will have Kawhi, LMA, Mills, Manu, Joff, White & Murray under contract and will be at 69M in salaries including the charge for the 18th pick this year and cap holds for roster spots.

The salary cap is 101M, so 101M - 69M = 32M in cap space.

Lebron’s max is like 35.5M so SA would be about 3.5M short.

So what ESPN said was not meant to be fully accurate; it was just a high level example of the type of moves SA would have to make.

So Lebron could take less so SA doesn’t have to move other assets.
SA could trade the 2018 pick in the Pau deal vs 2019 and get another 2M in cap space and get close to max.

But if Lebron wants every penny, then SA would have to either trade the 2018 pick in the Pau deal instead of 2019 and then move either Mills, Murray, White or Joff (or if Joff unexpectedly declines his player option, just doing everything above but trading 2018 first instead of 2019 would get SA to full max).

The biggest “hinge” is Danny & Rudy. If they opt out, the path becomes far easier. If they dont then it’s much tougher.

Leetonidas
06-08-2018, 12:51 PM
If lebron comes to SA it will be because he opted in and was traded ala CP3. Zero chance he signs as a FA imo

DAF86
06-08-2018, 12:53 PM

And how the fuck would we complete a roster if all those things happen and Lebron signs with us? :lol

DPG21920
06-08-2018, 12:55 PM
And how the fuck would we complete a roster if all those things happen and Lebron signs with us? :lol

Wouldn’t be that hard. In the playoffs, you play 7-9 guys anyways. Under that scenario you would have:

Murray, White, Kawhi, Lebron, LMA

Mills/Manu/Joff - that’s already 8.

Add a draft pick that’s 9. A couple of min value guys that’s 10 & 11. It would not be a big issue especially since Pop/RC are some of the best at finding value and getting a lot out of system players.

Then you can add another above min player who would probably be the true 8th man over Joff with the Room Exception (4M)

DAF86
06-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Wouldn’t be that hard. In the playoffs, you play 7-9 guys anyways. Under that scenario you would have:

Add a draft pick that’s 9. A couple of min value guys that’s 10 & 11. It would not be a big issue especially since Pop/RC are some of the best at finding value and getting a lot out of system players.

If all those things happen, I want to believe Tony would be cool with signing for the minimum.

DPG21920
06-08-2018, 01:00 PM
If all those things happen, I want to believe Tony would be cool with signing for the minimum.

Unless he gets a big offer like Manu got from PHI, I can see that happening if it meant another shot at a ring. Who knows. But there are min guys who could have more value then TP as well. It would take some gambles but a core of:

Murray/White/Kawhi/Lebron/LMA as the starters & Mills/Manu/18th pick maybe/Room Exception contract of 4M per year/vet min guy chasing a chance to win would be pretty damn good.

spurraider21
06-08-2018, 01:03 PM
would be quite funny if toronto decided to embrace lebronto

cd98
06-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Celtics make the most sense. Spurs could try for Kyrie. If LeBron goes to Boston, Kyrie will have to go.

baseline bum
06-08-2018, 01:13 PM

They both need to be completely gone. If they tell Parker to fuck off and sign Gay and Green for $5 million each for base salary that would be nearly $90 million of salary committed for next season. Salary dump Gasol and that's around $73 million committed. With the salary cap at $100 million and James eligible for $35 million base salary you're still about $8 million short. Add in a couple million in cap holds and you see you're $10 million away from getting LeBron after salary dumping Gasol and waving goodbye to Parker and fathead. So you'd have to forget that $10 million you split between Green and Gay unless you can find someone to take Mills. But I'm guessing the only way to salary dump Gasol would be to give away pick #18 in the deal, so now no sweetener to make someone take Mills.

DAF86
06-08-2018, 01:23 PM
They both need to be completely gone. If they tell Parker to fuck off and sign Gay and Green for $5 million each for base salary that would be nearly $90 million of salary committed for next season. Salary dump Gasol and that's around $73 million committed. With the salary cap at $100 million and James eligible for $35 million base salary you're still about $8 million short. Add in a couple million in cap holds and you see you're $10 million away from getting LeBron after salary dumping Gasol and waving goodbye to Parker and fathead. So you'd have to forget that $10 million you split between Green and Gay unless you can find someone to take Mills. But I'm guessing the only way to salary dump Gasol would be to give away pick #18 in the deal, so now no sweetener to make someone take Mills.

I think there's a fair posibility that Brett Brown takes on Mills salary if we don't ask for a draft pick.

r0drig0lac
06-08-2018, 01:39 PM

why not? the situation with Irving can be easily solved and they would be stacked

DPG21920
06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
This is all pretty moot until Danny/Rudy make their decisions. Unfortunately they have until 6/27 & 6/29 so we might not know until just before free agency starts on them .

Clipper Nation
06-08-2018, 01:49 PM
why not? the situation with Irving can be easily solved and they would be stacked

I doubt Kyrie has anything to do with it if he doesn't go there. The Celtics have been his rival since they assembled the Big Three, so I could see that being a reason for him not wanting to go there.

Mikeanaro
06-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Harden needs to handle the ball, Lebron needs the ball = SAD!

DAF86
06-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Meh, same thing was said about Harden and CP3. The unlikely scenario is more cap space related than fit wise.

coachmac87
06-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Meh, same thing was said about Harden and CP3. The unlikely scenario is more cap space related than fit wise.

But you’re still adding another ball dominant player..

Clipper Nation
06-08-2018, 02:04 PM

LeBron became a very solid off-ball player in Miami when he was playing with Wade. He's also said he wants to play off-ball more going forward. That isn't the issue for Houston, it's their salary-cap mess and the fact that they already used most of their desirable trade assets to get CP0.

tmtcsc
06-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Harden needs to handle the ball, Lebron needs the ball, Paul needs to handle Harden = SAD!

FIFY

DAF86
06-08-2018, 02:16 PM
But you’re still adding another ball dominant player..

They could have used a third ball dominant player on this last series vs GS, tbh.

Mikeanaro
06-08-2018, 02:34 PM
FIFY
:lol

Mikeanaro
06-08-2018, 02:40 PM
They could have used a third ball dominant player on this last series vs GS, tbh.
I think they needed more solid role players, they made more 3 pointers in RS than any GSW team but yet in WCF they played like bums except Eric Gordon.
Ariza missing wide open 3s, Gerald Green and Tucker were terrible.
Also D´Antoni is a clown.

exstatic
06-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Kyrie doesn't want Cleveland, and Frankly, Cleveland wouldn't want him, either. He'll be an ending contract by that time.

exstatic
06-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I think there's a fair posibility that Brett Brown takes on Mills salary if we don't ask for a draft pick.

You MUST return something in a trade other than cash considerations. It can be a player, rights to a previous player pick, or VERY conditional pick, but frankly, Philly has second rounders falling out of their collective ass. They shouldn't balk at flipping one our way.

Thomas82
06-08-2018, 03:15 PM
As long as he doesn’t go to Houston or GS then I don’t care where he goes. I think the Spurs screwed up their chances last offseason with the re-signing of Pau. If we are able to trade Pau & a future first to clear space then I think we have a shot.

I would give up a future 1st to move Pau, but not this year's.

DAF86
06-08-2018, 03:23 PM
You MUST return something in a trade other than cash considerations. It can be a player, rights to a previous player pick, or VERY conditional pick, but frankly, Philly has second rounders falling out of their collective ass. They shouldn't balk at flipping one our way.

Well, obviously I know we have to get something. As long as it is a player with a salary no higher than 2 mils, I don't care what we get.

Seventyniner
06-08-2018, 03:30 PM
I would give up a future 1st to move Pau, but not this year's.

Moving Pau as opposed to cutting him and stretching his contract only saves $4.4M against the cap. If that's what it takes to get LeBron, sure. But it's not worth giving away the farm.

coachmac87
06-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Um no...

Rockets lost one ball handler and I believe shot a season low 3pt percentage one game? Those are huge factors in a series that went 7

TD 21
06-08-2018, 03:55 PM

Then you can add another above min player who would probably be the true 8th man over Joff with the Room Exception (4M)

Green would be a must and that's not sufficient depth. The Warriors depth isn't either this season, but they make up for it with a combination of overwhelming talent, fit and IQ among their 5 best players. This team wouldn't have that going for them.

Also, James wants to get off the ball more in his next stop. He could do that when Leonard runs P-n-R or him or Aldridge ISO, but neither is a play maker. They can't assist him with running point, the way Wade and Irving did or Harden, Paul, Simmons or Ball can.

Yeah, but not that dominant. I know they can all shoot, but I don't know how 3 all-time great play makers can function together. Even if they're an awkward fit, like James and Wade, 2 is doable because you need multiple creators anyway, so they can somewhat alternate playing on the second/weakside, plus you can stagger their minutes, like Pop used to with Parker and Ginobili and D'Antoni now does with Harden and Paul. But 3 means someone (in this case, Paul) gets relegated to glorified spot up shooter.

SpursDynasty85
06-08-2018, 04:43 PM
LeBron became a very solid off-ball player in Miami when he was playing with Wade. He's also said he wants to play off-ball more going forward. That isn't the issue for Houston, it's their salary-cap mess and the fact that they already used most of their desirable trade assets to get CP0.

He became off the ball good ok but it was Wade that became and needed to become the off the ball player after the 2011 finals collapse. I hope to see play Lebron off the ball more and making far more picks for his teammates ala Duncan. Especially for the Spurs.

dbestpro
06-08-2018, 06:13 PM
The thought of prime time Leonard and James on the floor at the same time would be fun to see for people who just like to watch good basketball.

Budkin
06-08-2018, 06:49 PM
No one wants that shitty Ryan Anderson contract. Makes Fatty and Gasoft look like amazing deals.

jbspurs
06-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Celtics make the most sense. Spurs could try for Kyrie. If LeBron goes to Boston, Kyrie will have to go.

I think, Spurs will become a villain if we endup signing LeBron. With Kyrie, Spurs will be the antidote against GSW that most fans will like. Either way, Spurs will be great team with Kyrie or LeBron. I am leaning towards Kyrie to Spurs. I hope it happens!!

Chillen
06-08-2018, 07:12 PM

This is why LeBron to Spurs makes the most sense. Kawhi can play off LeBron, Harden and LeBron I just don't see working out I see plenty of arguing at each other if it happens.

K...
06-08-2018, 07:13 PM
how do we get kyrie????? like without trading leonard.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-08-2018, 07:36 PM

In order to take Gasol the other team will ask for the pick and another player - one of the young ones which I'd bet the Spurs would not want to do. But without getting rid of Gasol's 16 mil I find it hard that Lebron can be accomodated. I actually hope this deal can be done, however.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-08-2018, 07:37 PM

I can see Green opting out if he's told Lebron can be had. They are friends so I see Green doing everything in his power to help get it done

Mikeanaro
06-08-2018, 07:44 PM
This is why LeBron to Spurs makes the most sense. Kawhi can play off LeBron, Harden and LeBron I just don't see working out I see plenty of arguing at each other if it happens.
I think its a much better scenario than HOU, with that roster you only need a couple of decent role players and you have a great contender.

coachmac87
06-08-2018, 08:59 PM

I think the defensive aspect of LeBron joining the Spurs is the most appealing...

Murray, Bron, Kawhi would absolutely dominate the boards..plus you add the length to clog the passing lanes etc. I dunno if Houston can guard GSW adding LeBron because of possibly losing Capela and Ariza

sasaint
06-08-2018, 09:36 PM
I think the defensive aspect of LeBron joining the Spurs is the most appealing...

Murray, Bron, Kawhi and Murray would absolutely dominate the boards..plus you add the length to clog the passing lanes etc. I dunno if Houston can guard GSW adding LeBron because of possibly losing Capela and Ariza

I could live with ONE Murray, but not TWO.

cd98
06-08-2018, 09:37 PM
The key to beating GSW is having 5 guys that can switch on D. That means a big that can guard Curry and a guard that can at least do a decent job on Durant. The strength of the Warriors is there one on one play off of switches and there ability to space to give their stars space to operate.

webshad
06-08-2018, 11:25 PM
Absolutely not with the terrible coaching that I saw from Houston this year.

LeBron got pissed off at Ty Lue for the Game 1 timeout, for that reason it's not a good idea to go to Houston, unless they have a coach like Rick Carlisle, Brad Stevens, Greg Popovich, etc.
And if he decides for Phili, they are still not good enough to beat this Warriors team.

dbreiden83080
06-09-2018, 12:15 AM
I think Philly.. He loves Pop but he’s not likely to come to San Antonio with Leonard sitting out an entire season and nobody knows the status of his health.

cutewizard
06-10-2018, 07:14 AM

-------------------------------------------------

Sir, is that enough to beat the Warriors??

cutewizard
06-10-2018, 07:15 AM
The key to beating GSW is having 5 guys that can switch on D. That means a big that can guard Curry and a guard that can at least do a decent job on Durant. The strength of the Warriors is there one on one play off of switches and there ability to space to give their stars space to operate.

----------------------------------------------

Anyone on the horizon that we can get??

duncan2k5
06-10-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm actually wondering if the Spurs can present Kawhi with two options. Could they say, hey, we're going for Lebron and if we can get him, will you take the regular max? If we don't get him, we'll give you the Supermax. You think Kawhi would be interested in that? If Lebron did come, I really don't think he should be getting paid less than Kawhi. I don't know if that would sit well with him.

I rather appease a 26 year old kawhi than a 33 year old lebron

duncan2k5
06-10-2018, 12:35 PM

If they fold vs the cavs, those guys would absolutely crumble in the finals vs warriors

duncan2k5
06-10-2018, 12:39 PM

No way philly helps us get lebron...lol

K...
06-10-2018, 01:08 PM
No way philly helps us get lebron...lol

i don't see why not, gets him out of the conf and lets them battle boston, and toronto on fair terms

duncan2k5
06-10-2018, 05:20 PM
i don't see why not, gets him out of the conf and lets them battle boston, and toronto on fair terms

Because THEY want him ������ so if spurs can't get him, they may feel they have a better chance at being his second option

K...
06-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Because THEY want him ������ so if spurs can't get him, they may feel they have a better chance at being his second option

But the NBA isn't that cutthroat. It's not like if the 76ers say no, patty won't be traded, it'll just cost the spurs more. Likewise screwing the spurs doesn't guarantee LeBron goes there, Philly would have to know they were number 2 to do this. Lebron could just as well go to Boston and fuck over both teams!

Gino20
06-11-2018, 04:06 PM
According to Kelly Iko, the Rockets are aggressively pursuing a Ryan Anderson trade or could explore a buyout.

Not exactly news since the Rockets have been doing this for about a year. :lol I am not sure how a buyout could impact an LBJ signing though.

exstatic
06-11-2018, 04:34 PM
According to Kelly Iko, the Rockets are aggressively pursuing a Ryan Anderson trade or could explore a buyout.

Not exactly news since the Rockets have been doing this for about a year. :lol I am not sure how a buyout could impact an LBJ signing though.

If Anderson has two working brain cells, he would want nothing to do with a buyout. Doesn't he have like 2yrs/40M left? Why should he take half of that, the usual buyout rate, when he can get all of it just by saying 'no'? He's not going to get anything NEAR that on the market today.

SpursDynasty85
06-11-2018, 04:37 PM
If Anderson has two working brain cells, he would want nothing to do with a buyout. Doesn't he have like 2yrs/40M left? Why should he take half of that, the usual buyout rate, when he can get all of it just by saying 'no'? He's not going to get anything NEAR that on the market today.

Would a buyout mean he only gets the net proceeds if he signs a new contract? Say his buyout is half and then he signs a $12-14M/yr contract and he gets to keep all this plus his buyout - would mean more money for him.

exstatic
06-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Would a buyout mean he only gets the net proceeds if he signs a new contract? Say his buyout is half and then he signs a $12-14M/yr contract and he gets to keep all this plus his buyout - would mean more money for him.

No. He leaves likely $20M on the table with a buyout. If he then signs for $12M, he LOSES $8M. If it's $14M, then $6M. He's NEVER going to make up $20M.

It's stupid to take $20M from a team when they owe you, and are totally obligated to pay you $40M.

cd98
06-11-2018, 04:56 PM
No. He leaves likely $20M on the table with a buyout. If he then signs for $12M, he LOSES $8M. If it's $14M, then $6M. He's NEVER going to make up $20M.

It's stupid to take $20M from a team when they owe you, and are totally obligated to pay you $40M.

Agreed. No one is going to take on that contract without some incentives. It's like us trying to trade Gasol, who may actually be better than Anderson. Trading for Anderson will get you fired. The Rockets would have to give up incentives, like unprotected draft picks. I believe they traded this year's pick. I don't know what the Rockets have to sweeten the deal. My guess is they do a stretch, but I don't know if that is enough to give them significant salary cap space to chase another superstar.

exstatic
06-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Agreed. No one is going to take on that contract without some incentives. It's like us trying to trade Gasol, who may actually be better than Anderson. Trading for Anderson will get you fired. The Rockets would have to give up incentives, like unprotected draft picks. I believe they traded this year's pick. I don't know what the Rockets have to sweeten the deal. My guess is they do a stretch, but I don't know if that is enough to give them significant salary cap space to chase another superstar.

Stretching him is 3/40 instead of 2/40. It doesn't get them much.

Seventyniner
06-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Stretching him is 3/40 instead of 2/40. It doesn't get them much.

I thought it was 5/40, that stretching a waived player's contract was over one more than twice the number of years left on the contract.

But even if that's right it would only save them $12M this year, and Anderson's $8M per year thereafter would be truly dead money, no way to clear it out.

DMC
06-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Boston couldn't even beat that shitty Cavs team. What do they have to beat the Warriors?

I like Tatum but he's got a ways to go yet to be THAT guy.