PDA

View Full Version : Executive will give up chairman's seat

ducks
10-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Executive will give up chairman's seat
By MEL REISNER, AP Sports Writer
October 21, 2005

PHOENIX (AP) -- Former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo will step down as chairman of the NBA's board of governors next week, a move Colangelo asked for because he felt it was time to give someone else a chance at the job.

``I was asked to stay on through the last collective-bargaining negotiations,'' Colangelo said Thursday night. ``Now that's put aside and behind us.

``You know, usually everyone just does a two-year term. I've had two terms, and the right thing politically is to step down.''

ADVERTISEMENT
[-71725]
Colangelo, the Suns' chairman and chief executive, will continue to serve as the team's representative on the board and as a member of committees for finance, long-range planning, collective bargaining and player relations.

``I will continue on all those committees, so it's kind of passing the gavel or baton, and time for someone else to have the chairman's title,'' Colangelo said.

The four-time NBA executive of the year, who also brought major league baseball to Arizona as managing general partner of the Diamondbacks, oversaw the sale of the Suns to an investment group led by Robert Sarver for a league-record $401 million in April 2004. A year later, he was appointed to the new post of managing director of the U.S. men's national team.

The demands of that job have not interfered with his NBA work, he said.

The board of governors meets Tuesday and Wednesday in New York, and Colangelo said he would step down officially Wednesday morning.

He shared his plans with a few other members of the elite NBA group.

``It's not like it's common knowledge, but I mentioned it to a couple of people, and the response I had was, 'There's no reason for you to step down,' and I think there is,'' he said.