PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Is KD already ahead of Kobe on the all-time list?

DAF86
06-09-2018, 05:07 PM
We all know he is already a better player than Kobe ever was, but are his accomplishments already enough to dethrone 12? I'd say they are, tbh. He already matches Kobe's individual award, so the tiebreaker would be the fact that KD is a clearly superior player, imho. Similar to what happens with Olajuwon, who is also ranked ahead of Bryant.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-09-2018, 05:09 PM
In all-time greats he's like outside the top 20, not even close

DMC
06-09-2018, 06:12 PM

He's no where near 12.

resistanze
06-09-2018, 07:05 PM
He'll definitely be considered at least as good in 2-3 years tbh, if not better

06-09-2018, 07:14 PM

That applies to both players tbh, you gotta be more specific

Joseph Kony
06-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Kobe is a faggot but tbh Durbeta will never surpass him at 12 because of his bitch boy beta move

RD2191
06-09-2018, 07:37 PM
LA Warrior fans avoiding this thread like the plague :lol

tholdren
06-09-2018, 07:39 PM
We all know he is already a better player than Kobe ever was, but are his accomplishments already enough to dethrone 12? I'd say they are, tbh. He already matches Kobe's individual award, so the tiebreaker would be the fact that KD is a clearly superior player, imho. Similar to what happens with Olajuwon, who is also ranked ahead of Bryant.

Superior player in what way? That hes the 3rd best shooter on the team?

SpurOutofTownFan
06-09-2018, 07:44 PM
LA Warrior fans avoiding this thread like the plague :lol

indeed

SpurOutofTownFan
06-09-2018, 07:47 PM
That applies to both players tbh, you gotta be more specific

Question was about KD. He's not even in the top 20. He might never be in the top 20.

Number of rings don't mean shit. How many rings does Horry have? Is Horry considered a top 20 player?

We will remember him for his pussy move to the 73-win team that beat him and then piggybacking on their coattails.

IronMexican
06-09-2018, 07:55 PM
At his current rate, he will.

Kyle Orton
06-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Is there even still an argument for Kobe over KD ?

benefactor
06-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Is there even still an argument for Kobe over KD ?
Only Kobestans will. Any other fan that's starting a team is taking KD every time...regardless of how beta his move to the Dubs was.

D.B. Cooper
06-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Good question. Also, different positions but will KD surpass Duncan all time in the next 2-3 years?

IronMexican
06-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Only Kobestans will. Any other fan that's starting a team is taking KD every time...regardless of how beta his move to the Dubs was.

Durant was undoubtedly the greater talent. As is LeBron and a lot of other players.

Clipper Nation
06-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Durbeta surpassed Kobe on draft day 2007, tbh.

K...
06-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Hmm, its really hard. Kobe couldn't win without an hof big, but Durant couldn't win without a stacked team.

If I were picking a player to win the playoffs do I take mr likes to chuck, or Mr hold my hand¿

Durant is a very nice player but either can't or won't dominate for full series. Durant puts up numbers and had unguardable talent, but he doesn't use it they way a top 20 guy would.

If you wanted a player to lead you in the playoffs would you take Durant over lebron? Fuck no. Durant without a stacked team is a damaged good.

K...
06-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Also kobe isnt really 12 all time. He's going to fall as memory fails and his career numbers are judged against whatever advanced stats are in vouge at the time.

ambchang
06-09-2018, 10:32 PM
One is a beta talent forcing himself into an alpha role. The other is an alpha player forcing himself in a beta role.

I’d take the one who made himself the alpha even though he made an all time great franchise miss playoff after playoff and crippled it’s future.

Snaq O'Meal
06-10-2018, 12:16 AM
One is a beta talent forcing himself into an alpha role. The other is an alpha player forcing himself in a beta role.

I’d take the one who made himself the alpha even though he made an all time great franchise miss playoff after playoff and crippled it’s future.

Well put.

whitemamba
06-10-2018, 02:21 AM
Not even close, Durant ran from the challenge , kobe embraced it. It’s easy as fuck to score like he does when you have some of the deadliest shooters in the history of the game surrounding you. Don’t compare that beta , burner account cuck to a legend like kobe.

Mikeanaro
06-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Why? because he joined a team that already won a championship and happens to win 70/73 games per season?
Fan boys are so stupid.

ambchang
06-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Not even close, Durant ran from the challenge , kobe embraced it. It’s easy as fuck to score like he does when you have some of the deadliest shooters in the history of the game surrounding you. Don’t compare that beta , burner account cuck to a legend like kobe.

Agreed in principal but beyond intellectually dishonest to cite Durant’s Shooters but not Kobe’s frontlines.

AaronY
06-10-2018, 08:07 AM
I'd take Kobe. better defender and better passer even though he wasn't a willing passer at times obviously. Durant could have won three rings with Shaq though tbh

Clipper Nation
06-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Not even close, Durant ran from the challenge , kobe embraced it.
:lol If Kobe really embraced the challenge, he would have let the Nets or Hornets draft him instead of forcing his way to the Lakers. He also wouldn't have quit on his team and demanded a trade when times got tough post-Shaq.

Kobe was no better than Durbeta on dealing with challenges and adversity.

Thebesteva
06-10-2018, 10:56 AM
:lol If Kobe really embraced the challenge, he would have let the Nets or Hornets draft him instead of forcing his way to the Lakers. He also wouldn't have quit on his team and demanded a trade when times got tough post-Shaq.

Tbh all I’m hearing on message boards, social media, and radio is lebron never passed Kobe. I disagree but the loss is nothing shy of deveststing for Lebrons career. 6 losses are inexcusable collectively but individually each has an explanation

Clipper Nation
06-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Tbh all I’m hearing on message boards, social media, and radio is lebron never passed Kobe.

:lol You need to stop listening to 710AM and stop reading Lakersground, then. Nobody other than Laker homers and Kobe stans is legitimately ranking Kobe above LeBron.

Thebesteva
06-10-2018, 12:10 PM
:lol You need to stop listening to 710AM and stop reading Lakersground, then. Nobody other than Laker homers and Kobe stans is legitimately ranking Kobe above LeBron.

Espn radio, realgm, YouTube comments, IG comments

RsxPiimp
06-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Durbeta surpassed Kobe on draft day 2007, tbh.

heck, i think durbeta already passed kobe the moment senior durant was visually stimulated in mommy durant.

Clipper Nation
06-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Espn radio, realgm, YouTube comments, IG comments
There's your problem. I mean... YouTube comments? Really? :lol

spurraider21
06-10-2018, 01:11 PM
main thing kobe has over durant is narrative at this point... kobe was an all-time scorer but durant is simply a better scorer. kobe was known for his midrange game but durant is a much better midrange shooter.

kobe at his peak was a better on-ball defender, but durant has become one of the league's better help defenders. kobe's defense became harden-level bad in his later years, even pre-achilles tear, we'll see what happens with KD

Thebesteva
06-10-2018, 01:18 PM
There's your problem. I mean... YouTube comments? Really? :lol

Tbh I'm 99% sure Lebron comes back next year and beats these warriors, wins 2 more rings and retires. The key is he retires on the final ring and doesnt stick around too long ala Kobe

Thebesteva
06-10-2018, 01:19 PM
main thing kobe has over durant is narrative at this point... kobe was an all-time scorer but durant is simply a better scorer. kobe was known for his midrange game but durant is a much better midrange shooter.

kobe at his peak was a better on-ball defender, but durant has become one of the league's better help defenders. kobe's defense became harden-level bad in his later years, even pre-achilles tear, we'll see what happens with KD

BTW Kev said this just 5 days ago.

”It’s a tie between MJ and Kobe. They’re two guys that I think are a head above everybody else that ever played the game. Just their will to win is something that’s contagious and makes you a better player as an opponent as well.”

dbestpro
06-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Not really a fan of Durant's game. He gets points, but it just looks off. I would still take Dr. J or the Iceman before Durant. Those dudes would tear up the modern game.

Killakobe81
06-10-2018, 02:52 PM
personally, i dont give a shit.
Like i said before what sucks for him he might be the 2nd greatest SF ever ...but happened to have a big chunk of his career being 2nd best to the GOAT SF ...

as someone posted earlier they (Kobe/KD) play two different positions anyway.

but i do find it cute that after LeBron gets swept there is a bunch of ...
"Well he still shits on Kobe"
"MJ couldnt even get these Cavs to the Finals"
"Jordan was swept in the first round ..."
"kobe stans better watch it KD os surpassing him"

Guys are meant to be surpassed and records are meant to be broken...KD is cool with me ...Bird fans ate the ones who should be worried in the the past 10 years he went from GOAT SF to possibly 3rd ...

none of this changes who the overall GoAt is ...the air is still rare ...Lebron gave it a good push but has come up short, shit happens.

TDfan2007
06-10-2018, 03:01 PM

It's interesting to hear player's opinions on Kobe, because they rarely talk about him in terms of his skills. It's usually about his competitive spirit and assassin-like mentality. I can see where they come from. As a player, I'd much rather play against LeBron, because Kobe will make the game personal, and go at me constantly. I'm more likely to get worn out/embarrassed. As a coach, I'd much rather play against Kobe, because it's harder to gameplan against a guy who is a genetic freak with incredible scoring AND passing ability.

As for the point of this thread, I still hold Kobe over Durant, but not by much. Kobe was a more versatile scorer, better passer, and he wasn't a coward. Durant was more efficient though, and in some ways tougher to defend.

spurraider21
06-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Athlete opinions good now.

Durant grew up watching and to a degree idolizing kobe. Of course he thinks highly of him

Clipper Nation
06-10-2018, 03:32 PM
none of this changes who the overall GoAt is
Agreed. LeBron is still the GOAT.

Thebesteva
06-10-2018, 03:45 PM
It's interesting to hear player's opinions on Kobe, because they rarely talk about him in terms of his skills. It's usually about his competitive spirit and assassin-like mentality. I can see where they come from. As a player, I'd much rather play against LeBron, because Kobe will make the game personal, and go at me constantly. I'm more likely to get worn out/embarrassed. As a coach, I'd much rather play against Kobe, because it's harder to gameplan against a guy who is a genetic freak with incredible scoring AND passing ability.

As for the point of this thread, I still hold Kobe over Durant, but not by much. Kobe was a more versatile scorer, better passer, and he wasn't a coward. Durant was more efficient though, and in some ways tougher to defend.

With all due respect, if you guys don’t overall put kobe ahead of Durant it visibly highlights your extremist biased against Kobe. Sometimes you guys are like Muslim extrmists biased. I know the guy shit on most your teams and had visible flaws but he knew how to win with a good team. He also knew how to keep a good team around him unlike like lebron does. Give the guy some
fucking credit. Tracy McGrady is really good and he couldn’t get passed the first fucking round with ming, Ron artest, battier, Rafael Alston, etc. Kobe is a god tbh and you guys r in severe denial

like I said I have lebron as my 2nd GOAT, Duncan #4-5 and Kobe #7-8. I don’t think you guys are realistic at times

Koolaid_Man
06-10-2018, 04:10 PM

We don't care at ALL about your bullshit views on anything. Tammy is a faggot and ole is now 3-6...that's it and that's all. I hope the Dubs reel off 2-3 more for all I care. As long as Tammy and Bron dont ring again I'm good. Fuck the rest of yall's dumbshit

TDfan2007
06-10-2018, 04:13 PM
With all due respect, if you guys don’t overall put kobe ahead of Durant it visibly highlights your extremist biased against Kobe. Sometimes you guys are like Muslim extrmists biased. I know the guy shit on most your teams and had visible flaws but he knew how to win with a good team. He also knew how to keep a good team around him unlike like lebron does. Give the guy some
fucking credit. Tracy McGrady is really good and he couldn’t get passed the first fucking round with ming, Ron artest, battier, Rafael Alston, etc. Kobe is a god tbh and you guys r in severe denial

like I said I have lebron as my 2nd GOAT, Duncan #4-5 and Kobe #7-8. I don’t think you guys are realistic at times

The question in this thread wasn't Kobe vs. McGrady. That debate ended in 2005 or 2006. Kobe is still better than Durant, but it's closer now than it was previously, which is to be expected. Durant has made improvements in his game by being able to post up now, improving his pullup jumper, and improving as a committed defender, all while going b2b with b2b Finals MVPs. He's a top 15 talent of all time, easily. His only downfall is his laughably pathetic competitive spirit.

FWIW, Kobe is in my top 10, around 9-10, and I've routinely defended him on this board.

TDfan2007
06-10-2018, 04:15 PM

:lol no. The GOAT doesn't get mystified when teams switch a PG onto him. Fact: LeBron has only won a championship when he has played with two other sure-fire All Stars.

Thebesteva
06-10-2018, 04:37 PM

That ship sailed for the consensus. But whatever makes you hAppy

whitemamba
06-10-2018, 08:24 PM

when will you start making sense ?

whitemamba
06-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Agreed in principal but beyond intellectually dishonest to cite Durant’s Shooters but not Kobe’s frontlines.

shaq amazing , pau amazing.

DAF86
06-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Superior player in what way? That hes the 3rd best shooter on the team?

Durant is better than Kobe at pretty much everything, tbh.

HarlemHeat37
06-10-2018, 08:45 PM
:lol no. The GOAT doesn't get mystified when teams switch a PG onto him. Fact: LeBron has only won a championship when he has played with two other sure-fire All Stars.

The 2016 Cavs only had 1 All-Star IIRC..beating a 73-win team, down 3-1, without any other All-Stars vs. a team with 3 All-Stars is probably the most impressive feat in playoffs history IMO..

Killakobe81
06-10-2018, 09:54 PM

fair points agree with most of this ...

Killakobe81
06-10-2018, 09:56 PM
We don't care at ALL about your bullshit views on anything. Tammy is a faggot and ole is now 3-6...that's it and that's all. I hope the Dubs reel off 2-3 more for all I care. As long as Tammy and Bron dont ring again I'm good. Fuck the rest of yall's dumbshit

Kool, on dat Pusha T shit ...

LkrFan
06-11-2018, 06:45 AM
Like i said before what sucks for him he might be the 2nd greatest SF ever ...but happened to have a big chunk of his career being 2nd best to the GOAT SF ...

Guys are meant to be surpassed and records are meant to be broken...KD is cool with me ...Bird fans ate the ones who should be worried in the the past 10 years he went from GOAT SF to possibly 3rd ...

none of this changes who the overall GoAt is ...the air is still rare ...Lebron gave it a good push but has come up short, shit happens.

Boom! This. I could give two shits less about KD "passing Kobe" because I see what he's doing to the Kang.

By the way, it's kinda funny how Kang stans are:

:lol

endrity
06-11-2018, 09:06 AM
I am one of those people that doubt Kobe's Top 10 status since the first three rings are about Shaq first and foremost.

Having said that, I can't take KD seriously. He pulled the biggest bitch move possible by joining a 73 win team. Even if narrative is the only thing Kobe has over KD, I still pick that. KD needed to show he could win with a team of his own and he never did that.

Clipper Nation
06-11-2018, 09:07 AM
KD needed to show he could win with a team of his own and he never did that.
Neither did Kobe.

Raven
06-11-2018, 09:33 AM
obviously yes.

Raven
06-11-2018, 09:34 AM
I am one of those people that doubt Kobe's Top 10 status since the first three rings are about Shaq first and foremost.

Having said that, I can't take KD seriously. He pulled the biggest bitch move possible by joining a 73 win team. Even if narrative is the only thing Kobe has over KD, I still pick that. KD needed to show he could win with a team of his own and he never did that.

There's no doubting, saying he's a top 10 all time is just laughable.

TDfan2007
06-11-2018, 09:35 AM
The 2016 Cavs only had 1 All-Star IIRC..beating a 73-win team, down 3-1, without any other All-Stars vs. a team with 3 All-Stars is probably the most impressive feat in playoffs history IMO..

You're right, but Love and Irving both made the All Star team the following season. Both were obviously All Star caliber players at the time.

And yes, what LeBron did in 2016 was one of the most impressive feats in basketball history. That doesn't make him the GOAT though.

Tbh, LeBron is a difficult player to judge. His stats, both raw and advanced easily put him in the top 5, especially when one considers that his numbers almost always improve in the playoffs. He's also been arguably the best player in the league for the last 9-10 years. Nobody other than Jordan has been that great for that long. I've also never personally seen a player marry the roles of scorer and facilitator as well as he has.

He does falter in a few places though, like in the Finals, where he's been both inconsistent and unlucky (other than 2013...ugh). He also has this peculiar tendency of neutering his All Star teammates with his ball dominant style of play. Wade, Bosh, and Love all saw their effectiveness drop after joining LeBron, and Kyrie hasn't been any worse since leaving. LeBron's ball-dominant ways and amazing skills make for mind-blowing individual numbers, but they don't always empower his teammates. Lastly, his lack of a reliable pull-up or turnaround jumper makes him easier to guard. LeBron is best going downhill in transition or off a high screen, but if you turn him into an isolation player, he becomes far less efficient, even average at times, and this is mainly because he lacks a consistent two-dribble pull-up or high post offensive repertoire.

In contrast, Jordan had no real weaknesses. He good destroy you from the outside, or the inside. He could play off the ball in the triangle, or he could lol you as the team's PG. The only areas that LeBron has MJ beat in are longevity and overall passing ability (and in not being a shitty person), but that's not enough to make him there goat in my eyes.

RsxPiimp
06-11-2018, 12:59 PM
jordan had plenty of weakness, especially during their 2nd threepeat. jazz and sonics found a way to limit his efficiency.

Gutter92
06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Yes, he has surpassed Kobe.

DMC
06-12-2018, 02:12 PM

You go ahead. If you think the b2b Finals MVP is in a beta role, when he took that MVP from the reigning b2b RS MVP, you have a hard row to hoe defining "beta". But go ahead.

What's funny is that the Kobe/MJ talk is long gone. We know he's not even as good as Lebron, not even close. Now we're comparing him to Durant who has never been the best player in the league and we're saying Durant is better. What's next, we going to compare Kobe to Ben Simmons?

TDfan2007
06-12-2018, 03:26 PM
jordan had plenty of weakness, especially during their 2nd threepeat. jazz and sonics found a way to limit his efficiency.

Which were?

ambchang
06-13-2018, 06:44 AM
You go ahead. If you think the b2b Finals MVP is in a beta role, when he took that MVP from the reigning b2b RS MVP, you have a hard row to hoe defining "beta". But go ahead.

What's funny is that the Kobe/MJ talk is long gone. We know he's not even as good as Lebron, not even close. Now we're comparing him to Durant who has never been the best player in the league and we're saying Durant is better. What's next, we going to compare Kobe to Ben Simmons?

Durants got alpha talent. No doubt. He’s just got beta mentality.

Good point in Kobe comparisons. The bar keeps getting lower.

lefty
06-13-2018, 07:40 AM

KD over Bird?

Is weed that accessible in L.A ?

endrity
06-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Yeah Bird is still above KD. He played in stacked teams too, but he was the clear leader, and the only true MVP talent in those teams. And he's got 3 MVPs compared to Durant.

The Gemini Method
06-14-2018, 04:37 PM
We're too busy celebrating our 5th chip since 2009! Sorry, you know how us L.A. Warrior fans are...

Clipper Nation
06-14-2018, 04:49 PM
KD over Bird?

Tough to choose, tbh. Bird had Stern telling the black players to go easy on him. Durbeta made it easy on himself by joining a 73-win team.

Killakobe81
06-14-2018, 04:54 PM
KD over Bird?

Don't live in L.A. anymore and I dont smoke weed.
KD only trails him in rings by one,
MVP's by two ...
Finals MVP's are tied ...
KD has him beat in scoring titles ...

I Said Bird was still the 2nd best SF ever but KD is gaining on him ...

phxspurfan
06-14-2018, 05:06 PM
No but if he wins 5 more rings, which is sadly totally reasonable, he will be