PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Pacer Miller embraces TNT teammates

ducks
10-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Ex-Pacer Miller embraces TNT teammates
By CLIFF BRUNT, Associated Press Writer
October 21, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- For the first time in nearly two decades, Reggie Miller's offseason training program didn't include perfecting his deadly jumper.

Miller retired in May after 18 years with the Indiana Pacers, and now he's focused on becoming a clutch performer of a different kind. He has accepted a dual role as studio and game analyst for TNT's NBA coverage.

He also runs a movie production company called Boom Baby Productions. He's even worked on a promotional commercial for TNT with former sideline nemesis Spike Lee and co-hosted ``Live with Regis and Kelly.''

ADVERTISEMENT
[-71725]
None of those endeavors have provided Miller, who left as the league's career leader in 3-point field goals, with the camaraderie he's used to. The five-time All-Star misses his teammates most of all.

``It's strange not to be a part of an (NBA) organization or part of a team,'' the 40-year-old Miller said. ``I'm not joking with anybody on the bus like I usually do. But waking up with my back, knees and ankles hurting -- that's not stuff I'm going to miss much.''

Miller might miss playing more than he acknowledges. He still refers to the Pacers as ``we,'' and says ``we'' have a legitimate shot at an NBA title. Though he's found ways to spend his time, he says nothing provides the immediate rush of on-court competition.

``You try to find other things to grind the urge,'' he said. ``I'm still going to be associated with basketball. Obviously, that's not going to settle the last-second urges of wanting the ball.''

He'll be challenged to control his emotions when he works his first Pacers regular-season game Nov. 3 at Miami. It might be unbearable when he returns to Indianapolis for the Indiana-Cleveland game on Thanksgiving night.

``God forbid they will be in a close game and need a last-second shot,'' said Cheryl Miller, Reggie's sister and TNT sideline reporter.

TNT approached Miller after he retired and Cheryl lobbied for the network to add him to its roster. Turner Sports president David Levy didn't need much arm twisting. He made Miller the first TNT employee hired to do both game and studio work.

``We felt he had the crossover talent,'' Levy said. ``He's always been a great trash talker. He'll fit in well with the studio show. We've got the best of both worlds.''

Miller will join Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith in studio. Magic Johnson will be in studio when Miller is on the road.

Miller calls the crew an all-star team.

``I hope I can come in and be a good all-star sub,'' he said. ``A lot of times, I think broadcast commentators can get bogged down with stats and personal agendas. (Smith, Barkley and Magic Johnson) are former players. They've probably seen every scenario. They speak on experience.''

Miller analyzed WNBA games for Lifetime for three years. Cheryl said that experience and his honesty should serve him well.

``He's extremely opinionated,'' she said. ``He calls it as he sees it. He's fair. He's not going to try to kill a player, a coach or a franchise, but he won't shy away from being truthful.''

Miller also studies diligently.

``The main thing is being prepared,'' he said. ``That means doing your homework, whether it's going online to NBA.com or going to the local magazine rack. But I'm less than a year removed. I will be current with all the players and most of the personnel.''

Miller has spent much of the past month working on Boom Baby's first movie, ``Beautiful Ohio.'' He's been involved in picking locations, casting and budgeting for the movie, slated to be entered in next year's Toronto Film Festival. Chad Lowe is the director and wife Hilary Swank is involved in production.

The movie, set in Shaker Heights, Ohio in the 1970s, is about a dysfunctional family. Oscar winner William Hurt headlines the cast for the $3 million film, but Miller is equally excited about the unknowns.

Because he loves movies, he respects Lee and appreciated the chance to work with him. Miller and Lee often had jawing sessions when Lee would sit courtside during New York Knicks games at Madison Square Garden.

He said working on set reminded him of his days of torturing the Knicks.

``You hear him ranting and raving on the sidelines,'' he said. ``He rants and raves from the director's chair, too. But we all know he's a fantastic film director.''

Former teammates say the Pacers' loss is the entertainment world's gain.

``I don't think there's anything you can throw out there that Reggie's not going to be prepared for,'' Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal said. ``He's one of the funniest guys I know -- on the bus, he's always laughing and joking. And he's extremely smart.''

``He's one of a kind,'' Indiana guard Jamaal Tinsley said. ``He's going to go out and tell it how it needs to be told. He's the kind of guy everybody likes to hang around. He's a people person.''

Mixability
10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Too bad he didn't join ABC, because maybe then he could have been part of the NBA Finals. :lol

Obstructed_View
10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I know of a Pacer fan who wants to embrace Ben Wallace.