PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Kawhi take from LA Sports Radio Host

Russ
06-16-2018, 01:36 PM
I heard an interesting take on LA sports radio (AM 570) this morning.

The two hosts were talking (hoping) about Kawhi coming to the Lakers.

Then one of the hosts had a rather lengthy take on the real reason he thinks Kawhi wants out of SA. Interestingly, it was something I’ve never heard on Spurstalk (or, if so, not as developed as his theory).

The take was based upon two seemingly conflicting beliefs that (1) Kawhi’s injury was essentially a sham (and all of his shenanigans orchestrated) but (2) at the same time, Kawhi really wants to stay in SA with the Spurs. Huh?

Kawhi’s only problem with the Spurs, according to this line, is Popovich himself.

Kawhi is sick of playing the Tim Duncan (“good Spur”) role on the team -- where Kawhi is the best player on the team but gets yelled at by Pop to keep all the lesser guys in line. (You know, if Pop yells at Kawhi, what is he gonna do to me?)

This LA sports radio guy said he thinks that SA is perfect for Kawhi and he should stay with the Spurs if the Pop problem can be solved. He thinks Kawhi wants to stay with the Spurs and all of Kawhi’s maneuvering is just to get to get the Pop problem solved.

The solution, according to this radio guy, is for the Spurs to convince Kawhi that Pop will change his ways -- at least about some aspects of his coaching.

This guy thinks that assurances to Kawhi from Pop plus a no trade contract – so Kawhi can determine when he leaves and not the team – might do the trick.

I don't particularly buy it, but I thought is was a novel and interesting take on the situation – especially from a local LA radio guy.

spursistan
06-16-2018, 01:40 PM
He never played the Duncan role to begin with..

Bullshit it excuses..Next..

FkLA
06-16-2018, 01:40 PM
No.

SpursDynasty85
06-16-2018, 01:42 PM
If we take the narrative of Kawhi and his uncle planning a move to LA. There best move wouldve been to get a long term supermax type contract this off season and get traded next offseason because his deal is still at least a year. Who knows. Either way Spurs should be fine and we rebuild but not a total one from scratch. That's why you cant trust any narratives until deals are done and interviews come out I think.

Russ
06-16-2018, 01:43 PM
These two radio guys also thought that that the Lakers should go after Kawhi with everything they have -- the Lakers should offer the Spurs any combination of Laker players that the Spurs want.

(They even thought the Lakers should throw in Jeannie Buss and Magic if necessary.)

sasaint
06-16-2018, 01:44 PM
If we take the narrative of Kawhi and his uncle planning a move to LA. There best move wouldve been to get a long term supermax type contract this off season and get traded next offseason because his deal is still at least a year. Who knows. Either way Spurs should be fine and we rebuild but not a total one from scratch. That's why you cant trust any narratives until deals are done and interviews come out I think.

Interviews after "deals are done" are just as likely to spin.

SpursDynasty85
06-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Interviews after "deals are done" are just as likely to spin.

Yep. But that will be how history goes down and nothing we can do about it.

sasaint
06-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Yep. But that will be how history goes down and nothing we can do about it.

Exactly, but to your original point - that narrative isn't any more trustworthy.

daslicer
06-16-2018, 01:54 PM
These two radio guys also thought that that the Lakers should go after Kawhi with everything they have -- the Lakers should offer the Spurs any combination of Laker players that the Spurs want.

(They even thought the Lakers should throw in Jeannie Buss and Magic if necessary.)

:lol

CGD
06-16-2018, 01:55 PM
I think there is something to the “pop lightening up” theory. Leonard is probably not as mentally strong as Tim at the same age. Not sure that equates to him wanting to stay in SA though

alpha_HaZE
06-16-2018, 01:58 PM
I can see Pop being the problem! Remember what Pop had the following to say about Kawhi?

I don’t think he’s ever going to be worn out. I’m not going to play him like Latrell Sprewell. The bottom line is that he’s getting paid to do both. So get your ass out there and do both, if you want to know the truth. If you don’t want to do both then we’ll pay you $4 million.

If that's the case, he might as well move back into the front office and give Messina the coaching job.

RD2191
06-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Pop does not treat all players equally, that much we know.

Vic Petro
06-16-2018, 02:04 PM
A no-trade clause? Fuck no

alpha_HaZE
06-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Pop does not treat all players equally, that much we know.

Zelimic Obradovic once said that Pop's secret to success was that he kept Timmy happy. Dick Jefferson has also said that Pop was doing Tim's dirty work. The truth is that over the years, Pop has gotten more and more loud and confrontantional, when the rest of the league is toning it down; Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens, Coach Bud, are a few examples.

daslicer
06-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Zelimic Obradovic once said that Pop's secret to success was that he kept Timmy happy. Dick Jefferson has also said that Pop was doing Tim's dirty work. The truth is that over the years, Pop has gotten more and more loud and confrontantional, when the rest of the league is toning it down; Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens, Coach Bud, are a few examples.

Interesting take Duncan has always been a psychological master mind in my eyes when it comes to control and leadership. I do remember hearing about how Duncan hated Avery Johnson back in '01 and made Pop not re-sign him when he was a FA.

DMC
06-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Kawhi is going to be the biggest fugazi of the summer. He'll either stay in SA or he'll become completely introverted on another team and his contributions will be overblown at first then fade.

Mr. Body
06-16-2018, 02:34 PM
This sounds dumb.

Capt Bringdown
06-16-2018, 02:42 PM
An implausible take, but just for kicks, this guy's solution is Pop changing his ways. <Insert Danny Thomas Spit Take Here/>

Spurtacular
06-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Kawhi quit on the team. I think everyone was going to get past it and then he started up like a bitch with this trade BS (if reports are moderately true).

phxspurfan
06-16-2018, 03:12 PM
This LA sports radio guy said he thinks that SA is perfect for Kawhi and he should stay with the Spurs if the Pop problem can be solved. He thinks Kawhi wants to stay with the Spurs and all of Kawhi’s maneuvering is just to get to get the Pop problem solved.

That's one of the problems I have with His Camp's trade demand. SA is perfect for Kawhi's personality as he's a shy guy who doesn't like to talk to anyone he doesn't know well and trust, much less the media (which are a bunch of no talent, dirt-digging scumbags, as we know).

So for Uncle Dennis to convince him to float a trade demand to LA/NY is weird, bc it is self serving mostly for His Camp and their overall financial gain, and not at all fitting to Kawhi's personality and *gasp* overall happiness. We shall see, if His Camp gets their wishes, how Kawhi does getting ripped apart by the NY or LA media if a. his injury flares up again causing him to miss any length of time in the future, or b. he is forced/expected to the #1 team leader on another team when he may not have the personality to be that outspoken team leader. He's more like KD it seems, with the skills of a #1 but the personality of a top notch #2.

If anything, if Kawhi somehow gets to go to LA and LeBron is also wooed to go to LA (same team), that would likely be the best case scenario for both. Because as everyone knows, LeBron is the more natural leader/face of a franchise.

Russ
06-16-2018, 03:16 PM
If anything, if Kawhi somehow gets to go to LA and LeBron is also wooed to go to LA (same team), that would likely be the best case scenario for both. Because as everyone knows, LeBron is the more natural leader/face of a franchise.

The media here in LA thinks the Lakers will get LeBron, Kawhi and Paul George.

toki9
06-16-2018, 03:19 PM

Well, sure. I think it's in the NBA bylaws that the Lakers get everything they want...

phxspurfan
06-16-2018, 03:20 PM

They just might if that's what Silver wants (to encourage/embrace the creation of Super Duper Teams to compete with the Dubs). What's the alternative? Shitty ratings/revenues as everyone (including teams themselves) tune out due to the Dubs domination?

dbestpro
06-16-2018, 07:25 PM
What I do know is that there is no trade that the Spurs will make where they take Deng's salary. They might add a sign and trade from Lopez with other assets, but the Lakers are stuck with Deng. Also, while Ball is a decent player I just don't see any team wanting his baggage, either.

spurs10
06-16-2018, 07:36 PM
I heard a better take on LA radio. Forgot the guys name, but it's the best take I've heard. He said just say 'no.' 'Kawhi we love you and can't trade you. There is nothing out there we want.' There are no rules saying teams have to trash their contracts because a player wants to leave. He already owes us $20 million from last year. If Kawhi tries to sit out two seasons it ain't a good look and there will be a lawsuit.

rasuo214
06-16-2018, 07:55 PM
No idea what the real issue is but this is the 2nd year in a row that someone on the Spurs has wanted to be traded. Plus add in Simmons who also wanted to leave. I know the Spurs have a great reputation but there must be some issues there.

dbestpro
06-16-2018, 09:32 PM
No idea what the real issue is but this is the 2nd year in a row that someone on the Spurs has wanted to be traded. Plus add in Simmons who also wanted to leave. I know the Spurs have a great reputation but there must be some issues there.

Pop goes the weasel.

SnakeBoy
06-16-2018, 11:47 PM

The real issue is that it was always Timmy that held the team together not Pop.

Mr. Body
06-16-2018, 11:49 PM

If getting Kawhi is prerequisite to getting the others, LAL will have to pay through the snout for him

StrengthAndHonor
06-17-2018, 12:00 AM
All 3 is just not possible...at all.

jmard5
06-17-2018, 12:05 AM

Different issues, different reasons. Also, LMA was professional enough to voice his concern straight to Pop unlike Kawhi's group. What's up with them not wanting Kawhi to have a one-on-one with Pop? And then there's the media circus plus Jabari Parker.

cd021
06-17-2018, 03:33 AM

Spurs almost certainly won't want Ball. Ingrim is a polarizing prospect that PATFO may not even want.

That leaves who? Hart and Kuzma plus late 1st's plus 2 years of Deng's deal. That isn't a serious trade offer.

Spurs da champs
06-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Pop maybe has gotten more "loud & confrontational" with officials as the years have went by but generally speaking aside from Danny Green, who the hell does he yell at? I havent really seen him get on somebody really since Tony when he was young. Pop has gone soft, tbh.

cd021
06-17-2018, 03:39 AM

Simmons wanted more playing time and Pop wasn't willing to give him that time, mostly because for most of the year he wasn't particularly good. He turned the corner during that Houston series and balled out but it wasn't like he was mistreated.

Aldridge's issues were a lack of touches and that he was essentially just out their setting screens and grabbing offensive rebounds on offense while Kawhi carried the offense.

He went to Pop and they talked it through like G's do and Pop admitted that he misused him and they began repairing their relationship from there.

I still think Kawhi and Pop are close but his handlers are mishandling Kawhi and keeping him from Pop like an ex-wife keeping the kids away from the father.

cd021
06-17-2018, 03:43 AM
Pop maybe has gotten more "loud & confrontational" with officials as the years have went by but generally speaking aside from Danny Green, who the hell does he yell at? I havent really seen him get on somebody really since Tony when he was young. Pop has gone soft, tbh.

I don't see an issue with that, I think that is a good thing.

Watching him interact with Murray is a lot different from how he interacted with Parker. Pop said that he needed to push Parker because there was never a player that could push him for minutes. With Murray, he pulls him aside during a stoppage and tells him what he did wrong and what he needs to do the next time, pats him on the ass and sends him back in.

Slippy
06-17-2018, 04:56 AM
Kawhis group will spin it, fans will fish for reasons & flakey player fans will make excuses but the most likely reason is spurs didnt offer supermax. Lets not lose sight of that.

jermaine
06-17-2018, 06:36 AM
It really makes sense! All you keep hearing from Jabari Parker is how you have to treat today's players so delicately an how Kawhi isn't Duncan, those days are over. So it's is a very interesting take on it.

BillMc
06-17-2018, 07:05 AM
It really makes sense! All you keep hearing from Jabari Parker is how you have to treat today's players so delicately an how Kawhi isn't Duncan, those days are over. So it's is a very interesting take on it.

I thin Jabari also implied at one point that today's supserstar's groups are empowered and modern clubs no and accept this. Kawhi's group wants to be LeBron's group.

BillMc
06-17-2018, 07:36 AM
Whitlock and Broussard taking shots at Pop and RC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpdvgeSMIM

It's interesting how these things happen. Pop's rep is being tarnished. Just like Phil Jackson's was after the "posse" remark with Melo.

Pat Riley's rep was hurt when LeBron left in 2014 and seems to have recovered. I hope this is temporary. But at Pop's age could not be time to repair. Hope its not a Sloan like ending in Utah.

cjw
06-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Spurs almost certainly won't want Ball. Ingrim is a polarizing prospect that PATFO may not even want.

That leaves who? Hart and Kuzma plus late 1st's plus 2 years of Deng's deal. That isn't a serious trade offer.

If the Lakers want to trade for Kawhi, you force them to move Ingram or Ball for the pieces you actually want.

r0drig0lac
06-17-2018, 09:03 AM
The real issue is that it was always Timmy that held the team together not Pop.

Russ
06-17-2018, 09:10 AM
All 3 is just not possible...at all.

Bill Plaschke of the LA Times thinks the Lakers can get all three:

Do you believe in Magic? Kawhi Leonard could be the first major step in Lakers' renovation
By Bill Plaschke
JUN 15, 2018 | 3:30 PM

This is it, Magic. You’re up.

What was proposed in this column space two months ago can now happen. At this seminal moment in franchise history, the Lakers need to do everything possible to make it happen.

The long-expected news has finally broken that Kawhi Leonard is asking out of San Antonio, and he wants to come home to Southern California, and his first choice would be the Lakers and …

DO IT NOW!

Magic Johnson needs to drop everything, grab his buddy Rob Pelinka, disappear into a back room, dial up the Spurs, and get to work. Make them an offer they can’t refuse. Throw in everybody but Jack Nicholson and Lawrence Tanter. Give them everything but Jeanie Buss’ Twitter account.

Do what they couldn’t do last summer with Paul George. Make it happen even though the Spurs would hate for it to happen. Find a way, any way, to acquire the player who could open that long-locked door to championship contention.

If Leonard comes, potential free agent George would come. And if George comes, you can bet LeBron James would come.

The Lakers can afford all three. They can perform the salary cap gymnastics to fit all three. They are the perfect team for all three.

With those three players, they would end their five-year playoff drought, challenge Golden State and Houston in the West, potentially get back to the Finals for the first time in nine years. For the first time since the days of Kobe and Shaq, they would be a nationally hated Super Team, and, man, wouldn’t that be super?

If all that sounds impossible, well, who thought James would ever flee for Miami and build a title winner, or that Kevin Durant would run to Oakland and enrich a title winner? The stars wonderfully control this league now, and if three of them want to be part of a glorious Lakers history, who says they can’t?

It starts with Leonard, a 26-year-old former NBA Finals MVP and two-time league defensive player of the year who has leverage because he can opt out of the final year of his contract next summer. If the Spurs don’t trade him now, they probably would lose him for nothing next summer, so they’re on the clock.

Could they just keep him and roll the dice? Not when he’s already mentally checked out of an organization that publicly questioned his toughness last season when he played in only nine games after suffering a right quadriceps injury. By the end, he was so estranged from the team that he didn’t even show up for the playoff series against Golden State. So yeah, he’s surely gone.

Lots of teams want him, and here come those hated Boston Celtics again, so acquiring him is not going to be easy. But the Lakers, basketball’s most glamorous franchise, are fronted by the basketball world’s most charismatic figure in basketball’s most electric city.

Earlier this week, Buss cryptically tweeted, “Do not ever underestimate. … Nothing else to say.’’

Fine. No underestimation here. Go for it.

The first challenge is that the Spurs are surely making all kinds of Gregg Popovich-scowling-faces at the idea of trading Leonard to a Western Conference rival. The Lakers gave them Derek Fisher and 0.4 seconds. The Lakers gave them four playoff series defeats since 2000. And the Spurs are just going to give them their future Tim Duncan?

No, the Spurs are not going to want to trade with the Lakers any more than the Indiana Pacers wanted to trade unhappy George to his beloved Lakers last summer. So the Pacers traded out of the East, gave George to Oklahoma City for what was then considered a small return, and only by the grace of Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis did they save face.

Do the conservative Spurs want to take that same chance? Do they really want to take less value from a team that knows the former Riverside King High star would probably be a one-year rental? Do they want to just give him away?

The Lakers’ biggest advantage is that they are the one team that can give up big assets and trust that Leonard would be worth the investment. Their other advantage is that, well, they actually have those assets.

Trade Brandon Ingram. Trade Kyle Kuzma. Trade their 25th-overall pick in next week’s draft. This is the part where some Lakers fans will scream, “Throw in Lonzo Ball!’’ No, sorry, it’s impossible to imagine the button-down Spurs would want anything to do with Ball and his traveling circus. But heck yeah, sure, if the Spurs want him, throw in Lonzo Ball.

By agreeing to trade two former first-round picks and a future first-rounder — you will do that, right, Magic? — the Lakers can make the Spurs the best possible offer for a player who could eventually walk away and leave San Antonio with nothing. The Spurs would have to swallow hard, but if they could get beyond pride they would see it’s the best of a situation they could have prevented.

They blew it by questioning their best player; they blew it by creating fireworks around a guy who never says a word or causes any commotion; they foolishly became estranged from their future. So now they have to pay the price, and only the Lakers can truly minimize thedamage.

Yes, the Lakers could be sacrificing their own future for a guy who just spent a year nursing a leg injury. But remember, this deal would not just be about Kawhi Leonard. This is about Leonard, and James, and George, and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build a team that could enrich history.

Down the hall, the Clippers would be interested in Leonard in a deal centered around their 12th and 13th overall picks next week, and perhaps Tobias Harris. That would bring Leonard to Los Angeles, but there’s no way they can improve the team around him like the Lakers can.

This is a deal that works best for the Lakers. This is the first falling domino in a potentially glorious purple-and-gold-tinted chain reaction.

This is a Magic moment.

lmbebo
06-17-2018, 09:18 AM
fuck bill... tired of his crap.

cd021
06-17-2018, 09:33 AM
If the Lakers want to trade for Kawhi, you force them to move Ingram or Ball for the pieces you actually want.

Have anything in mind, because I don't. What do Ball and Ingrim net you? A top 10 pick plus Hart and Kuzma and two years of Deng's deal. That's probably a worse offer. It's odd; people keeping saying Kawhi to the Lakers, like the Lakers have the pieces that the Spurs would want but I think its far more likely that they don't.

With Clippers, they at least the 12th and 13th plus Harris who is only 25 and finally looks like he is living up to his potential. While that's a decent package, I don't know if it's enough for the Spurs to pull the trigger on- especially if Philly and Boston come correct

K...
06-17-2018, 09:35 AM
hmm, maybe just let Jabari coach and be done with it.

offset formation
06-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Different issues, different reasons. Also, LMA was professional enough to voice his concern straight to Pop unlike Kawhi's group. What's up with them not wanting Kawhi to have a one-on-one with Pop? And then there's the media circus plus Jabari Parker.

Boom. Seems like people are looking for more than what's right in front of them. There could not be a bigger difference in the professionalism displayed between LMA, and Kawhi and his group.

StrengthAndHonor
06-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Bill Plaschke of the LA Times thinks the Lakers can get all three:

Do you believe in Magic? Kawhi Leonard could be the first major step in Lakers' renovation
By Bill Plaschke
JUN 15, 2018 | 3:30 PM

This is it, Magic. You’re up.

What was proposed in this column space two months ago can now happen. At this seminal moment in franchise history, the Lakers need to do everything possible to make it happen.

The long-expected news has finally broken that Kawhi Leonard is asking out of San Antonio, and he wants to come home to Southern California, and his first choice would be the Lakers and …

DO IT NOW!

Magic Johnson needs to drop everything, grab his buddy Rob Pelinka, disappear into a back room, dial up the Spurs, and get to work. Make them an offer they can’t refuse. Throw in everybody but Jack Nicholson and Lawrence Tanter. Give them everything but Jeanie Buss’ Twitter account.

Do what they couldn’t do last summer with Paul George. Make it happen even though the Spurs would hate for it to happen. Find a way, any way, to acquire the player who could open that long-locked door to championship contention.

If Leonard comes, potential free agent George would come. And if George comes, you can bet LeBron James would come.

The Lakers can afford all three. They can perform the salary cap gymnastics to fit all three. They are the perfect team for all three.

With those three players, they would end their five-year playoff drought, challenge Golden State and Houston in the West, potentially get back to the Finals for the first time in nine years. For the first time since the days of Kobe and Shaq, they would be a nationally hated Super Team, and, man, wouldn’t that be super?

If all that sounds impossible, well, who thought James would ever flee for Miami and build a title winner, or that Kevin Durant would run to Oakland and enrich a title winner? The stars wonderfully control this league now, and if three of them want to be part of a glorious Lakers history, who says they can’t?

It starts with Leonard, a 26-year-old former NBA Finals MVP and two-time league defensive player of the year who has leverage because he can opt out of the final year of his contract next summer. If the Spurs don’t trade him now, they probably would lose him for nothing next summer, so they’re on the clock.

Could they just keep him and roll the dice? Not when he’s already mentally checked out of an organization that publicly questioned his toughness last season when he played in only nine games after suffering a right quadriceps injury. By the end, he was so estranged from the team that he didn’t even show up for the playoff series against Golden State. So yeah, he’s surely gone.

Lots of teams want him, and here come those hated Boston Celtics again, so acquiring him is not going to be easy. But the Lakers, basketball’s most glamorous franchise, are fronted by the basketball world’s most charismatic figure in basketball’s most electric city.

Earlier this week, Buss cryptically tweeted, “Do not ever underestimate. … Nothing else to say.’’

Fine. No underestimation here. Go for it.

The first challenge is that the Spurs are surely making all kinds of Gregg Popovich-scowling-faces at the idea of trading Leonard to a Western Conference rival. The Lakers gave them Derek Fisher and 0.4 seconds. The Lakers gave them four playoff series defeats since 2000. And the Spurs are just going to give them their future Tim Duncan?

No, the Spurs are not going to want to trade with the Lakers any more than the Indiana Pacers wanted to trade unhappy George to his beloved Lakers last summer. So the Pacers traded out of the East, gave George to Oklahoma City for what was then considered a small return, and only by the grace of Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis did they save face.

Do the conservative Spurs want to take that same chance? Do they really want to take less value from a team that knows the former Riverside King High star would probably be a one-year rental? Do they want to just give him away?

The Lakers’ biggest advantage is that they are the one team that can give up big assets and trust that Leonard would be worth the investment. Their other advantage is that, well, they actually have those assets.

Trade Brandon Ingram. Trade Kyle Kuzma. Trade their 25th-overall pick in next week’s draft. This is the part where some Lakers fans will scream, “Throw in Lonzo Ball!’’ No, sorry, it’s impossible to imagine the button-down Spurs would want anything to do with Ball and his traveling circus. But heck yeah, sure, if the Spurs want him, throw in Lonzo Ball.

By agreeing to trade two former first-round picks and a future first-rounder — you will do that, right, Magic? — the Lakers can make the Spurs the best possible offer for a player who could eventually walk away and leave San Antonio with nothing. The Spurs would have to swallow hard, but if they could get beyond pride they would see it’s the best of a situation they could have prevented.

They blew it by questioning their best player; they blew it by creating fireworks around a guy who never says a word or causes any commotion; they foolishly became estranged from their future. So now they have to pay the price, and only the Lakers can truly minimize thedamage.

Yes, the Lakers could be sacrificing their own future for a guy who just spent a year nursing a leg injury. But remember, this deal would not just be about Kawhi Leonard. This is about Leonard, and James, and George, and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build a team that could enrich history.

Down the hall, the Clippers would be interested in Leonard in a deal centered around their 12th and 13th overall picks next week, and perhaps Tobias Harris. That would bring Leonard to Los Angeles, but there’s no way they can improve the team around him like the Lakers can.

This is a deal that works best for the Lakers. This is the first falling domino in a potentially glorious purple-and-gold-tinted chain reaction.

This is a Magic moment.

Plaschke is known to penetrate and understand the unrealistic expectations and hormones of Laker fandom. He likes to be controversial and ESPN giving him a major platform to spew his crap is all the proof you need.

Spurs da champs
06-17-2018, 01:04 PM
I don't see an issue with that, I think that is a good thing.

Watching him interact with Murray is a lot different from how he interacted with Parker. Pop said that he needed to push Parker because there was never a player that could push him for minutes. With Murray, he pulls him aside during a stoppage and tells him what he did wrong and what he needs to do the next time, pats him on the ass and sends him back in.
He knows players have gotten more sensitive, hence the toning down.

RC_Drunkford
05-26-2019, 09:15 AM
I heard an interesting take on LA sports radio (AM 570) this morning.

The two hosts were talking (hoping) about Kawhi coming to the Lakers.

Then one of the hosts had a rather lengthy take on the real reason he thinks Kawhi wants out of SA. Interestingly, it was something I’ve never heard on Spurstalk (or, if so, not as developed as his theory).

The take was based upon two seemingly conflicting beliefs that (1) Kawhi’s injury was essentially a sham (and all of his shenanigans orchestrated) but (2) at the same time, Kawhi really wants to stay in SA with the Spurs. Huh?

Kawhi’s only problem with the Spurs, according to this line, is Popovich himself.

Kawhi is sick of playing the Tim Duncan (“good Spur”) role on the team -- where Kawhi is the best player on the team but gets yelled at by Pop to keep all the lesser guys in line. (You know, if Pop yells at Kawhi, what is he gonna do to me?)

The solution, according to this radio guy, is for the Spurs to convince Kawhi that Pop will change his ways -- at least about some aspects of his coaching.

This guy thinks that assurances to Kawhi from Pop plus a no trade contract – so Kawhi can determine when he leaves and not the team – might do the trick.

I don't particularly buy it, but I thought is was a novel and interesting take on the situation – especially from a local LA radio guy.

Many believe that Kawhi's time in San Antonio is coming to an end, but no one seems to really understand what's exactly going on. A new report (http://beta.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/kawhi-leonard-potential-spurs-split-interest-knicks-article-1.3954575) from Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, however, may shed some light on this weird situation. Isola quotes a "rival executive" who says Leonard wants coach Gregg Popovich (https://www.complex.com/tag/gregg-popovich) and the Spurs organization to "tweak" the way they do things.

"From what I understand, he wants Popovich to lighten up a little with practice and tweak some things," the executive is quoted as saying. "The Spurs may not want to change their ways, but this is Kawhi Leonard we're talking about."

https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/04/kawhi-leonard-reportedly-wants-popovich-to-tweak-practice

K...
05-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Which is funny because pop has turned into a huge softball since his wife died. Kawhi could probably legit had gotten Pop fired in 2015 by being tact about it. Everything we've seen shows that he did not take the most direct route to backstab a coach in the classy way. Granted pop is probably a unique coach but pop was 50/50 on retiring after 5 and could have been pushed to retire at that point.

GAustex
05-26-2019, 02:49 PM
I recall a game the season before he sat out where Pop pulled his BS move of taking the whole starting five out 1minute into the second half after a pretty bad start right a the half.
I recall the look on nephew’s face what like “fuck this old bastard”
I think nephew grew tired of Pop’s manner

Dennis the Menace
05-26-2019, 03:42 PM
I recall a game the season before he sat out where Pop pulled his BS move of taking the whole starting five out 1minute into the second half after a pretty bad start right a the half.
I recall the look on nephew’s face what like “fuck this old bastard”
I think nephew grew tired of Pop’s manner

I’d say about 50% or more of the fan base is tired of Pop’s manner