PDA

View Full Version : How the Spurs overplayed their hand and alienated Kawhi Leonard

TimDunkem
06-17-2018, 12:48 PM
https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1558913

The Spurs drove Leonard to leave by overplaying their hand:

Playing for the San Antonio Spurs is similar to playing with LeBron James in that both parties are infallible.

That means if anything goes wrong, as with the case of Kawhi Leonard's trade request, the blame falls squarely on the other side. It can't possibly be the fault of the best organization in basketball, and it must be that Leonard has gone mad.

The prevailing narrative is that Leonard and his greedy uncle-turned-manager Dennis Robertson are silly for wanting to leave. Leonard's otherwise unblemished name was dragged through the mud over the last six months as he recovered from a quad injury, even though there's plenty of fault to go around on both sides.

San Antonio is hardly blameless. The Spurs alienated their franchise player, overplayed the "Spurs mystique" that faded after Tim Duncan retired, took shots at Leonard through the media, and now they're about to face a harsh reality going forward.

Their failure was driven by two key mistakes.

Alienating their franchise player
Reports suggest Leonard's camp feels betrayed by the Spurs, although you don't need reporters to tell you there are problems since he's leaving $219 million on the table.

How did the rift get so bad? It all traces back to Leonard's right quadriceps injury, which the Spurs medical team initially called a contusion. He played through the injury in last year's playoffs, but the true severity wasn't known until the offseason. Leonard's recovery was slow, and he didn't fully trust himself to play. When he finally did make his return in December, the 26-year-old was in and out of the lineup and eventually had to sit after nine games.

He still wasn't completely healed and sought a second opinion, which is what anyone else would do in that situation. His doctors concluded Leonard had a tendon issue causing a degenerative effect on the muscle, which meant a different recovery schedule than what the Spurs called for since their doctors thought it was a bruise. That disagreement contributed to tension in the relationship, according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

The Spurs decided to draw a line in the sand with Leonard and started pressuring him through the media. Not only did they leak reports he was sitting despite receiving team clearance, but they also went after him publicly by leaking that Leonard was "distant" and "disconnected."

Gregg Popovich was peppered daily with questions about Leonard's playing status, so he directed reporters to ask Leonard's "group." That shifted the blame toward the player, which wasn't a smart move. Popovich repeated the line throughout the year and publicly challenged his star. He reportedly has yet to sit down with Leonard to hash out their issues, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, even though the season ended two months ago.

Tony Parker, one of the franchise's most respected voices, piled on the pressure. Parker boasted that his quad injury was "a hundred times worse." He also reportedly led a "tense and emotional" team meeting in which the players asked Leonard when he would play.

The Spurs being anxious to have Leonard on the court is understandable. They won 61 games and went to the Western Conference finals in 2016-17 largely because of him, and with several veterans like Parker, Pau Gasol, and Manu Ginobili fading fast, the team didn't have time to wait.

The Spurs feeling confident in their medical team is also understandable. They extended the careers of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and other aging stars by being innovative with rest and treatment. A strong reputation as one of the best training staffs in the league has been well earned.

But the Spurs overplayed their hand by pressuring Leonard about his injury, one they couldn't fix. The two-time All-Star was never going to suit up unless he felt 100-percent healthy, so going after him publicly served no purpose other than to alienate him.

Taking Leonard for granted
The Spurs' mantra over the years has been that they want players who have gotten "over" themselves.

It sounds good on paper, but the implication is they seek players who are going to put the team first. Of course, that was an easier sell when the endlessly selfless Tim Duncan set the example for everyone else. But Duncan has been gone since retiring in 2016, and he left behind a leadership void.

The "team first" mantra is also outdated in an era of player control. Superstars want to dictate their own terms, often by forming superteams, as James and Kevin Durant did to win titles. Leonard is no different, and the Spurs mistook his unassuming nature for being the exception, but he's now being the rule.

There are limitations small-market teams face, and while the Spurs have historically avoided them, they're now starting to feel the squeeze. When Leonard's shoe deal expired, the two-time Defensive Player of the Year and former Finals MVP was only offered $20 million over four years by Jordan Brand. To put that deal into perspective, Lonzo Ball received a $20 million offer over five years from Nike before playing a game, simply because of hype and being with the always popular Los Angeles Lakers.

It's no wonder Leonard now wants to join the Lakers, according to Wojnarowski, a feeling that goes beyond where he was born.

Teams in smaller markets operate like the Oklahoma City Thunder, an organization that bends over backwards for its stars. It doesn't always work - Durant left to chase both a ring and a different lifestyle - but at least the approach helps, however marginally. Russell Westbrook loved being a big fish in a small pond, he won an MVP (over Leonard) by collecting counting stats to his heart's content, and then he opted to sign a super-max extension to stay - the same extension the Spurs hoped Leonard would ink as well. The Thunder haven't won five titles like the Spurs, but they're set up better going forward.

The next few years will be a test of Spurs culture, and just how much it will crumble without the people who laid the foundation. Duncan is gone, Ginobili and Parker could join him in retirement, Popovich is not long off, and now Leonard wants out. Who will carry this great franchise going forward?

That's the most perplexing part of the Spurs' public campaign against Leonard. They didn't have much to fall back upon, as the rest of the roster is old and has limitations. San Antonio keeps failing to unearth any young prospects with star potential, while also struggling to attract stars outside of LaMarcus Aldridge. Then there's Popovich, who already has his next job lined up with Team USA.

Leonard was their only bridge to the future, and now they'll face the consequences after treating him poorly.

Inb4 the slurpers say the Spurs deserve 0% of the blame.

daslicer
06-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Terrible puff piece that was very Pro-Kawhi. It's the same bs we heard before:

1. Spurs allegedly misdiagnosed the injury and forced Kawhi to play during the playoffs.
2. Spurs got in a dispute with Kawhi's Doctors over the recovery time of the injury.
3. It's the Spurs fault why Kawhi can't get a big shoe deal.
4. Also the Spurs fault for not creating a super team with Kawhi.
5. Spurs need to kiss Kawhi's ass 24/7 like OKC does with Russ.
6. Manu and Tony direspected Kawhi by calling him out in the media and by conducting that intense meeting

I can't stress it enough but what a profoundly stupid article and this is coming from someone who doesn't think Pop and front office is perfect.

My feelings about this article are summed up by this video:

5hfYJsQAhl0

RD2191
06-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Great article. As I said, patfo fucked up. And porky definitely made things worse with his comments.

dbestpro
06-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Seems to me the solution to most of the NBA problems is to allow teams to play physical defense again like they did during the bad boy Piston days. Then they whole idea of a super team most often would only work on paper.

daslicer
06-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Great article. As I said, patfo fucked up. And porky definitely made things worse with his comments.

I don't buy that bs. If Kawhi's feelings got hurt by Parker he truly is a weak guy. Kawhi could have been an Alpha and told Paker to fuck off. All Superstar players get challenged by their teammates at times but they don't retreat in a shell and go into hiding. Lebron got into spats with Mario Chalmers, Jordan back in the day got into it with BJ Armstrong, and even Duncan had beef with Avery Johnson.

james evans
06-17-2018, 01:19 PM
I'm not pro-Kawhi or pro-spurs. If kawhi wants to go, then let him. We need to focus on us now. Crying over it instead of making moves does nothing. The spurs fucked up. We can all believe what we want to believe but this is not a perfect organization. I'm still in disbelief over letting dedmond walk and giving Gasol $50 million. That shit just made no fucking sense whatsoever

daslicer
06-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Seems to me the solution to most of the NBA problems is to allow teams to play physical defense again like they did during the bad boy Piston days. Then they whole idea of a super team most often would only work on paper.

I actually thought about that during the playoffs when it came to the Warriors that you need go back to the old defensive rules so teams have a chance to beat them. Warriors would still be great under the old defensive rules but they would be very beatable.

james evans
06-17-2018, 01:21 PM
I don't buy that bs. If Kawhi's feelings got hurt by Parker he truly is a weak guy. Kawhi could have been an Alpha and told Paker to fuck off. All Superstar players get challenged by their teammates at times but they don't retreat in a shell and go into hiding. Lebron got into spats with Mario Chalmers, Jordan back in the day got into it with BJ Armstrong, and even Duncan had beef with Avery Johnson.
Seriously. Parker is one of Pop's favorites. If fucking teammate's wife doesn't get you on the bad side of your coach, nothing will. And I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about Brent Barry

TimDunkem
06-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Seriously. Parker is one of Pop's favorites. If fucking teammate's wife doesn't get you on the bad side of your coach, nothing will. And I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about Brent Barry

Truth bomb. It's history like this that makes me believe Poop would choose TP and Manu over Kawhi no matter what.

daslicer
06-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Parker is a diva no doubt about that and yes he's one of Pop's favorites along with Manu but still for Kawhi not to stand up to him makes him look like a bitch. Keep in mind Avery Johnson was also Pop's favorite back in the day but once Duncan and him got into it during the '01 WCF he was out of SA immediately that summer.

K...
06-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Well that's one side of the story....the other side is that he had a career altering injury and wants to get the bigmax over the spurs concerns of durability. The spurs can't give the super max to a greg oden.we are not portland. Sometimes you have to take old yeller, your faithful pup, and put a bullet in him. I respect my team for holding the line and not giving into bullying and leaks.

Kawhi could have appeared in friendly press. Because he didn't, it left pop, parkers , etc with the bag. Either kawhi is an adult and can handle his shit, or he's a baby and the team should pay him less.

Play Boban
06-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Disgusting.

daslicer
06-17-2018, 01:39 PM
and parkers remark didnt seem like a dig at all except to certain snowflakes

the comparison between the two injuries had been made quite a bit, to illustrate how weird kawhis injury was and how you cant predict individual recovery times by how “bad” the injury appears superficially

Agreed I didn't find anything offensive about what Parker said.

BillMc
06-17-2018, 01:41 PM
and parkers remark didnt seem like a dig at all except to certain snowflakes

the comparison between the two injuries had been made quite a bit, to illustrate how weird kawhis injury was and how you cant predict individual recovery times by how “bad” the injury appears superficially

Yep. If you actually watch the interview with TP it is obviously not a dig. But the press has jumped on it. Manu's remark is even less "cutting."

This is one those excuses made when you want to end a relationship and need a reason. Even Pop's group remarks came out being asked a million questions. If KL would have been a normal person and addressed the media regularly, Pop and his teammates wouldn't have had to field all the questions and occasionally give answers Kawhi doesn't like.

The Spurs weren't perfect, but trying to pin this on them is agenda driven by KL's camp.

Russ
06-17-2018, 01:42 PM
From the article:

Reports suggest Leonard's camp feels betrayed by the Spurs, although you don't need reporters to tell you there are problems since he's leaving $219 million on the table.

Is there any corroboration that the Spurs actually offered (or would offer) Kawhi the $219 million SuperMax?

K...
06-17-2018, 01:47 PM
From the article:

Is there any corroboration that the Spurs actually offered (or would offer) Kawhi the $219 million SuperMax?

The fact that the whole article is a rehash of leaks leads me to believe the author is just spitballing.

Also it would not be a surprise if the spurs say...we offered the big max if he could pass drills and shut down his crew and kawhi rejecting that. Both sides would then say that was/wasn't a true max offer because of the conditions

DAF86
06-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Fuck Kawhi, tbh.

If you have problems with some things the franchise did, you speak up and work it out. You don't pout and leave at the first sign of trouble.

Also, if the only reason he's leaving is because of problems with the Spurs, then he wouldn't be bitching to go to LA.

Fuck him and his fake humble, loyal act. Fucking stabbing bitch.

dbestpro
06-17-2018, 01:53 PM
The Spurs are better playing team ball than they are relying on one player who wants to play iso ball. I would prefer a return to the beautiful game.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 01:56 PM
The Spurs are better playing team ball than they are relying on one player who wants to play iso ball. I would prefer a return to the beautiful game.

Kawhi doesn't want to play iso ball, that's LMA.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Fuck Kawhi, tbh.

If you have problems with some things the franchise did, you speak up and work it out. You don't pout and leave at the first sign of trouble.

Also, if the only reason he's leaving is because of problems with the Spurs, then he wouldn't be bitching to go to LA.

Fuck him and his fake humble, loyal act. Fucking stabbing bitch.

He's like the new Tony Parker.

palangi
06-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Pop and his culture is very toxic. Not a good fit anymore. Him holding onto TP and Manu isn't a good thing.

Play Boban
06-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Do you watch the games tbh?

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Who requested a trade because he wasn't getting enough touches?

DMC
06-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Just follow the money.

Spurs great = meh money for Spurs and even less meh for the rest of the league
Lakers great = cha-ching money for the Lakers and mini-cha-ching money for the rest of the league

Great small market teams will have a long hiatus between peaks, and there will be very few of great small market teams

Small market teams have historically been farms to find superstars for large market teams.

DMC
06-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Pop and his culture is very toxic. Not a good fit anymore. Him holding onto TP and Manu isn't a good thing.

Keeping Manu is fine. I cannot imagine any superstar who wouldn't want to be on the floor with Manu, who will get you the ball in your spots and create. Tony, on the other hand, is washed the fuck up and should be traded. I think he lost his "loyalty" card when he fucked Brent's wife.

cool cat
06-17-2018, 02:09 PM
It's not the Spurs overplaying their hand it's Kawhi.

Dude lost a $20 million shoe deal, now might lose $80 million from Supermax. So potentially $100 Million in the hole, and if he gets injured again next year might lose that next max contract.

BSfromTX
06-17-2018, 02:17 PM
This stance is so weak. Kawhi could have and still can set the record straight, but he hasn’t. Which tells me he wants out and is trying to hide behind made up reasons

kawhi fans need to quit defending, because it just sounds rediculous.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:21 PM
This stance is so weak. Kawhi could have and still can set the record straight, but he hasn’t. Which tells me he wants out and is trying to hide behind made up reasons

kawhi fans need to quit defending, because it just sounds rediculous.

The report is he feels betrayed, and I don't blame him. Instead of supporting him through his recovery PATFO put out media hit pieces to question his credibility. As has been said before, Kawhi is big on trust, so why would he want to play for an organization that doesn't trust him?

daslicer
06-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Nothing Manu and Parker said was offensive in my eyes. The media just made it comes across as bad simply because they want Kawhi in a big market. Notice once Jax called out Manu and Tony for what they said the media followed along despite not acknowledging how Jax has beef with the spurs going back to '13. It's obvious Jax has an axe to grind with those 2 simply because he's jealous of how they got to play their whole entire careers with Duncan. Anyways if Kawhi was actually offended by what those 2 had to say he should not have gone into hiding but let them know to their faces that they disrespected him.

daslicer
06-17-2018, 02:26 PM
The report is he feels betrayed, and I don't blame him. Instead of caving in to the demands of his Uncle PATFO put out media hit pieces to question his credibility. As has been said before, Kawhi is big on trusting his uncle, so why would he want to play for an organization that doesn't trust his uncle?

FIFY there you go.

baseline bum
06-17-2018, 02:28 PM
What a load of crap. Woj reported Leonard has been using his own doctors since August.

Source: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770525/what-next-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-nba-free-agency-trades

dbestpro
06-17-2018, 02:28 PM
I think the hurt Leonard and his family is feeling is not from the media but the fans.

cool cat
06-17-2018, 02:31 PM
The report is he feels betrayed, and I don't blame him. Instead of supporting him through his recovery PATFO put out media hit pieces to question his credibility. As has been said before, Kawhi is big on trust, so why would he want to play for an organization that doesn't trust him?

Wrong he put his credibility on the line when his camp leaked he wanted to come back in March. Then in his March media scrum he said he was coming back soon. The season starts to turn bad for the Spurs, players ask him when are you coming back, you keep telling the media you are coming back but not us, Kawhi has no answer and bolts to New York.

You can argue that maybe there was some passive aggressive remarks made to the media, so his response is he want's to go to LA where the media is like piranhas and be 100x worse then some passive aggressive remarks made from Tony Parker.

DAF86
06-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Don't trade him shit. Sit his ass out and then see which teams are willing to offer a max contract to a guy that spent two straight seasons on the sidelines.

That will teach these entailed little bitches not to fuck with franchises, specially small market ones.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Wrong he put his credibility on the line when his camp leaked he wanted to come back in March. Then in his March media scrum he said he was coming back soon. The season starts to turn bad for the Spurs, players ask him when are you coming back, you keep telling the media you are coming back but not us, Kawhi has no answer and bolts to New York.

You can argue that maybe there was some passive aggressive remarks made to the media, so his response is he want's to go to LA where the media is like piranhas and be 100x worse then some passive aggressive remarks made from Tony Parker.

You're delusional. Kawhi had a setback in his return, it happens.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Don't trade him shit. Sit his ass out and then see which teams are willing to offer a max contract to a guy that spent two straight seasons on the sidelines.

That will teach these entailed little bitches not to fuck with franchises, specially small market ones.

:cry stick to povertyball

cool cat
06-17-2018, 02:36 PM
What a load of crap. Woj reported Leonard has been using his own doctors since August.

Source: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770525/what-next-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-nba-free-agency-trades

That's game changing if true.

DAF86
06-17-2018, 02:38 PM
:cry stick to povertyball

Fuck Kawhi, tbh.

Unless he stays. If he stays, I love him.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Fuck Kawhi, tbh.

Unless he stays. If he stays, I love him.

:lol

cool cat
06-17-2018, 02:41 PM
You're delusional. Kawhi had a setback in his return, it happens.

What I said is 100% accurate. The guy screwed up his shoe deal, now he is screwing up his chance at the Supermax.

Play Boban
06-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Who requested a trade because he wasn't getting enough touches?
Just because LA wants an iso heavy offense doesn’t mean Kawhitter doesn’t as well.

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2018, 02:44 PM
This writer's research was very poor, he clearly hasn't followed the timeline of events..

I've been anti-Pop for years(for basketball reasons, not because I'm a Trumptard like some of the posters in this thread), but I think people are over-analyzing this situation..

Kawhi wants the supermax and/or wants to play in LA and his uncle and his team want him to play in LA..there's nothing more to it, everything points to that..all this shit about misdiagnosis or not liking the roster is silly and agenda-based..it's about money and/or location..

Their team only has 1 client IIRC, it's Kawhi, that's where their livelihood comes from..getting the supermax is probably the main goal, but playing in LA and reviving the pathetic Lakers is the goldmine on the other side.

SuperCam
06-17-2018, 02:46 PM

The greatest guard in spur history can say whatever the fuck he wants to millennial pussies on the team, he's earned that right by winning the team rings, multiple, with his contributions over a decade and a half and not just coattailing to a ring as the 4th best player on a title team :toast

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Just because LA wants an iso heavy offense doesn’t mean Kawhitter doesn’t as well.

Making shit up, you should go eff yourself. :lol

itzsoweezee
06-17-2018, 02:48 PM
This writer's research was very poor, he clearly hasn't followed the timeline of events..

I've been anti-Pop for years(for basketball reasons, not because I'm a Trumptard like some of the posters in this thread), but I think people are over-analyzing this situation..

Kawhi wants to play in LA and his uncle and his team want him to play in LA..there's nothing more to it, everything points to that..all this shit about misdiagnosis or not liking the roster is silly and agenda-based..

Their team only has 1 client IIRC, it's Kawhi, that's where their livelihood comes from..playing in LA and reviving the pathetic Lakers is a lottery ticket..

Agree on all of this

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:49 PM
The greatest guard in spur history can say whatever the fuck he wants to millennial pussies on the team, he's earned that right by winning the team rings, multiple, with his contributions over a decade and a half and not just coattailing to a ring as the 4th best player on a title team :toast

:lmao porky rode Duncan's coattails for years. Tim has 7 or 8 if he had a real PG by his side.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 02:50 PM
What I said is 100% accurate. The guy screwed up his shoe deal, now he is screwing up his chance at the Supermax.

Proof? And he'll get an even better shoe deal in LA or NY.

NASpurs
06-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Robby D sure is cocky today. We know Mexico won brah but it’s time to get down from that cloud.

SuperCam
06-17-2018, 02:53 PM
:lmao porky rode Duncan's coattails for years. Tim has 7 or 8 if he had a real PG by his side.

Kiwi may have developed into a top 10 player but in 2014 playoffs he wasn't even a top two scorer in that postseason run, couldn't have chip in 2 assists a game. he was riding coattails to the only time the Spurs have won anything worth a shit in his time on the team :lol

Parker is on this team's mt rushmore he can say whatever he wants to anyone but Tim all time, let alone players who quit on the franchise despite PATFO incompetence :toast

r0drig0lac
06-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Robby D sure is cocky today. We know Mexico won brah but it’s time to get down from that cloud.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

apalisoc_9
06-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Great Article.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2018, 02:59 PM
:lol Porker coattailed his own backups to rings.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 03:01 PM

Porker stans with that revisionists history tbh :lol

RD2191
06-17-2018, 03:01 PM

:lmao :toast

Budkin
06-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Did Jabari Young write that?

Budkin
06-17-2018, 03:06 PM

Speedy Claxton baby!

cool cat
06-17-2018, 03:28 PM
Proof? And he'll get an even better shoe deal in LA or NY.

1. Kawhi camp says he wants to come back in march
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Kawhi-Leonard-back-with-Spurs-aiming-to-return-12710787.php
2. Kawhi media scrum March 7th says he is coming back soon
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249183/kawhi-leonard-speaks-to-media-wants-to-remain-with-spurs-for-entire-career
3. Spurs drop to 10th in Western conference, i.e. season going badly
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Short-handed-Spurs-drop-third-game-in-a-row-12748152.php
4. Player only meeting, want to hear from him not the media.
https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/976861311194759169

Saying he will get a better shoe deal in LA or NY is the same kind of idiotic thinking his Uncle has. The guy might end up on some scrub team for a year and get hurt again and have no shoe deal at all. Congrats you just lost $100 million dollars because you couldn't handle Tony Parker saying he had a worse injury then you.

BSfromTX
06-17-2018, 03:33 PM

still weak.
Support what? He hasn’t said jack. Only he can shed light on what has gone on. No one else. Your response is just wishful thinking, and the article is fluff spin out of his camp. It sounds like preschoolers trying to spin why the cookies are gone

Spurs da champs
06-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Kawhi has been a pussy ass beta bitch for what he did this past season, but what Tony Parker said only made things worse, real talk fuck that french POS, let his ass go.

tholdren
06-17-2018, 03:35 PM

You cited an article to prove your point that had unsubstantiated opinions cited as fact and the article said team first mantra is out dated.... lol what a shitty take.

tholdren
06-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Lol you must not have watched. Kl cant pass or create, what is he going to do besides iso?

RD2191
06-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Lol you must not have watched. Kl cant pass or create, what is he going to do besides iso?

:lol check your glasses old man

daslicer
06-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Kawhi has been a pussy ass beta bitch for what he did this past season, but what Tony Parker said only made things worse, real talk fuck that french POS, let his ass go.

It didn't make anything worse. Anybody who got offended by what Parker said is a snowflake in my eyes. I say this as someone whose not a fan of Tony but I would have said same shit he said if I was in his situation. I can't imagine not being pissed off coming off what was nearly a career ending injury and seeing a teammate with a minor bruise refusing to play. Tony could have kissed Kawhi's ass and said he is the GOAT Spur and Kawhi still would want out simply because Uncle Dennis wants out.

By the way I also want Parker gone but not because of what he said but because he's old and washed up.

spursistan
06-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Bullshit excuses..

Keep slurping this grade 1 faggot, you fanboys. This mute doesn't even give the slightest fuck about you..

I'm glad how this episode showed who are the real Spurs fans and who are here playerfanning an epic level fraud..

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:07 PM
1. Kawhi camp says he wants to come back in march
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Kawhi-Leonard-back-with-Spurs-aiming-to-return-12710787.php
2. Kawhi media scrum March 7th says he is coming back soon
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249183/kawhi-leonard-speaks-to-media-wants-to-remain-with-spurs-for-entire-career
3. Spurs drop to 10th in Western conference, i.e. season going badly
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Short-handed-Spurs-drop-third-game-in-a-row-12748152.php
4. Player only meeting, want to hear from him not the media.
https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/976861311194759169

Saying he will get a better shoe deal in LA or NY is the same kind of idiotic thinking his Uncle has. The guy might end up on some scrub team for a year and get hurt again and have no shoe deal at all. Congrats you just lost $100 million dollars because you couldn't handle Tony Parker saying he had a worse injury then you.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. And we'll wait and see. Trust me, kawhi will have success wherever he goes, he's that good. And for the millionth time, kawhi doesn't care about the money.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Bullshit excuses..

Keep slurping this grade 1 faggot, you fanboys. This mute doesn't even give the slightest fuck about you..

I'm glad how this episode showed who are the real Spurs and who are here playerfanning an epic level fraud..

But you sure do seem to give a fuck about him. You're having one of the biggest meltdowns this site has ever seen. :lol

mclinejr
06-17-2018, 04:11 PM
I swear, this forum is the “source” that the media is using.

cool cat
06-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. And we'll wait and see. Trust me, kawhi will have success wherever he goes, he's that good. And for the millionth time, kawhi doesn't care about the money.

You’re delusional, if he doesn’t care about the money why he turn down $20 million shoe deal.

spursistan
06-17-2018, 04:13 PM
But you sure do seem to give a fuck about him. You're having one of the biggest meltdowns this site has ever seen. :lol
Of course I'am, because his disgraceful ass fucked over my favorite team. I grew up watching the great Tim Duncan and now I'm having to deal with this snake shortly after the torch was supposedly passed to him.

daslicer
06-17-2018, 04:14 PM
I swear, this forum is the “source” that the media is using.

I believe that for sure. I laughed the other night when Jabari Young on NBA TV said that the Hornets would be willing to trade for Kawhi since Jordan has an interest in him since I have mentioned that in here over a hundred times.

Brazil
06-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Leonard is a massive faggot, I’m glad Pop manu and parked called dat bitch nigg out.. hope he dies tbh soon

BSfromTX
06-17-2018, 04:19 PM
obviously the media uses this site cuz they keep printing crap!

spursistan
06-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Leonard is a massive faggot, I’m glad Pop manu and parked called dat bitch nigg out.. hope he dies tbh soon
A bunch fanboys are embarrassing themselves semen-shielding for this faggot till the bitter end. It is like they have never had Tim Duncan..

Truly pathetic scenes..

TD 21
06-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Kawhi wants the supermax and/or wants to play in LA and his uncle and his team want him to play in LA..there's nothing more to it, everything points to that..all this shit about misdiagnosis or not liking the roster is silly and agenda-based..it's about money and/or location..

Their team only has 1 client IIRC, it's Kawhi, that's where their livelihood comes from..getting the supermax is probably the main goal, but playing in LA and reviving the pathetic Lakers is the goldmine on the other side.

:tu

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Of course I'am, because his disgraceful ass fucked over my favorite team. I grew up watching the great Tim Duncan and now I'm having to deal with this snake shortly after the torch was supposedly passed to him.

Kawhi didn't ask for the torch. Tbh fwiw imo. And for what it's worth, I see Kawhi as more of a Pippen than a Jordan.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Spoken like a true Porker fan.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:23 PM
You’re delusional, if he doesn’t care about the money why he turn down $20 million shoe deal.

Because there's a difference between being money hungry and knowing your worth.

Pavlov
06-17-2018, 04:25 PM
It's hard to see any team offering Leonard a super max without any evidence he's over his injury, and even the suspicion he was sandbagging is enough for any team to balk.

Brazil
06-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Spoken like a true Porker fan.

Spoken like a true cuck and player fan faggot tbh.. go root for Dallas or Houston both are in Texas and full of Mexican bra...

spursistan
06-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Cosign :tu..

Brazil
06-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Kawhi is likely healthy for months now.. he just did not want to play anymore before signing his fat contract.. that is all. Pop, Manu and Parker told him fuck you faggot

Then you have dumb fucks like Roberto defending this sucker.. Stockholm syndrom

Chinook
06-17-2018, 04:39 PM
I wonder how long it'll be before it comes out that Magic has been hardcore tampering. I don't think it's explicitly illegal to talk to Uncle Dennis, but that would so violate the spirit of the rule that I think it would warrant punishment.

JPB
06-17-2018, 04:39 PM

How old is this clown ? Please tell me he's 12...

"wrong, wrong, wrong!!! for the millionth time !!!!" my idole is super good and he doesn't care about the money, nah !

I've seen quite a few ridiculous fanbois in my life but this hilarious asslicker is fighting for supremacy.

And of course, because these kind of freaks really can't see how ridiculous they are, they always call others for their own meltdowns...

Freud would feast on these no lifers.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Spoken like a true cuck and player fan faggot tbh.. go root for Dallas or Houston both are in Texas and full of Mexican bra...

It's embarrassing that an old man like you is so easily triggered. You're softer than Porker.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:53 PM
How old is this clown ? Please tell me he's 12...

"wrong, wrong, wrong!!! for the millionth time !!!!" my idole is super good and he doesn't care about the money, nah !

I've seen quite a few ridiculous fanbois in my life but this hilarious asslicker is fighting for supremacy.

And of course, because these kind of freaks really can't see how ridiculous they are, they always call others for their own meltdowns...

Freud would feast on these no lifers.

Oh look, another French fuck boi, speaking of player fans:lol

KimmyGib
06-17-2018, 04:53 PM

Does this imply Kawhi was basically refusing to play an entire season while under contract?

RD2191
06-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Porker fans exposing themselves as player fans :lmao Taking the bait, too easy. :lol

K...
06-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Porker fans exposing themselves as player fans :lmao Taking the bait, too easy. :lol

Had you been following the spurs this year, you'd know porker is played out and everyone agrees that he should retire. He's already a deep bench sub. The new whipping boys are kyle, pau, and your baby kawhi.

Rob, just admit the situation is over your head. You weren't here to bitch about the season, you lack the standing to lecture us! Parker is a hero for calling out the mute.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Had you been following the spurs this year, you'd know porker is played out and everyone agrees that he should retire. He's already a deep bench sub. The new whipping boys are kyle, pau, and your baby kawhi.

Rob, just admit the situation is over your head. You weren't here to bitch about the season, you lack the standing to lecture us! Parker is a hero for calling out the mute.

This isn't so much about Parker as it is about Porker fans calling Kawhi fans player fans. :lol

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Does this imply Kawhi was basically refusing to play an entire season while under contract?

I think he was definitely hurt in the off-season and probably to start the season, it seems like everybody agrees with that and there wasn't any real bad blood at the time..they gave him time to figure things out, at least from a mental standpoint..

It's very evident that he sat out the 2nd half of the season for non-basketball reasons, though, that isn't even debatable IMO..everything we have heard these past 2 weeks adds up, it's a money issue, SA is reluctant to supermax him..there's NO WAY that Parker and Ginobili make those public comments(which they wouldn't have made without Pop co-signing) if that wasn't the case, it doesn't make any sense to jeopardize the team's relationship with its franchise cornerstone simply over a dispute over the diagnosis of an injury..the only reason that narrative got any play was because the Isiah Thomas situation(which was very rare, too) was so fresh in everybody's mind..

IMO the only consistent factors here are 1- Supermax/money dispute 2- As Woj reported, Kawhi's team is very disorganized and constantly changing their story

It's not a coincidence that Kawhi's team leaked that they were working things out and a meeting was imminent to discuss money, but then all of a sudden it's leaked that he is going to demand a trade:lol

If the Spurs and Kawhi had agreed on the money, I bet none of this shit would have happened IMO..it's all been leverage game since then..misdiagnosis of injury, doesn't like the roster, mad about the way Pop is approaching things, furious that Parker and Ginobili made comments through the media:lol

All narratives to save face, they are fully aware of how the public reacts to athletes regarding money disputes..I mostly disagree with the way fans view athletes and their money(especially in the NBA and NFL), I find it strange that they generally side with management over the employees, but I understand, I suppose..

Clipper Nation
06-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Had you been following the spurs this year, you'd know porker is played out and everyone agrees that he should retire. He's already a deep bench sub.
:lol And yet you player fans still shit on Manu at every opportunity when he's older than Porker and still productive in the NBA.

:lmao "Hero"

Calling out Kawhi was an ego move from Porker, that is all. He wanted the attention.

offset formation
06-17-2018, 05:25 PM
Well that's one side of the story....the other side is that he had a career altering injury and wants to get the bigmax over the spurs concerns of durability. The spurs can't give the super max to a greg oden.we are not portland. Sometimes you have to take old yeller, your faithful pup, and put a bullet in him. I respect my team for holding the line and not giving into bullying and leaks.

Kawhi could have appeared in friendly press. Because he didn't, it left pop, parkers , etc with the bag. Either kawhi is an adult and can handle his shit, or he's a baby and the team should pay him less.

BSfromTX
06-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Kawhi is likely healthy for months now.. he just did not want to play anymore before signing his fat contract.. that is all. Pop, Manu and Parker told him fuck you faggot

Then you have dumb fucks like Roberto defending this sucker.. Stockholm syndrom

This... and wanting supermax to boot. I don't blame him either if that is the case. I also don't care if he wants to play for LA... just don't look for any favors and don't piss and moan if you don't get the supermax. Its what happens when you start playing these games.

All signs point to Leonards camp playing this the wrong way and Spurs look to be clean so far despite what crap Jabari spews

Spurs9
06-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Didn't Parker have a similar injury that was way worse and he came back pretty quick from it?

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2018, 05:34 PM
The Parker/Manu narratives are specially stupid IMO..I'm sure Kawhi was annoyed by their comments, but Manu is likely retiring and TP is a Free Agent..as much as we joke on here about Pop's favoritism, there's no fucking way he's telling Kawhi that he's going to choose an ancient TP over him:lol

Pop is 70 and may be out of touch with some of these new players, but he isn't stupid, he knows talent wins in this league..

offset formation
06-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Pop and his culture is very toxic. Not a good fit anymore.

:lmao

Spursmania
06-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Rifts and misunderstandings happen on every team. Spurs are known for being conservative with injuries and playtime. They wouldn't purposely alienate Kawhi or play him if they thought he was still injured. If there was a problem or a disconnect Kawhi should of confronted the issue head on and worked it out within the organization. You don't let rumors abound and not do anything to control them. And, if he couldn't man up and handle this situation right, I doubt he'll have much success on other organizations who aren't as patient or forgiving. I think Uncle Dennis had a malignant hand in this. It's a really unfortunate situation for all the SA fans and fans who admired Kawhi and still do. In the end, if he wanted to stay, you know Pop would work things out with him. But if he wants out he will use this as an excuse when he should just be truthful and say he wants a big market and Uncle Dennis wants to make him the next LeBron.

Brazil
06-17-2018, 05:39 PM
It's embarrassing that an old man like you is so easily triggered. You're softer than Porker.

That’s rich :lol my kawhi :cry mean Parker calling out my boy :cry I’ll continue rooting for him :cry

BSfromTX
06-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Rifts and misunderstandings happen on every team. Spurs are known for being conservative with injuries and playtime. They wouldn't purposely alienate Kawhi or play him if they thought he was still injured. If there was a problem or a disconnect Kawhi should of confronted the issue head on and worked it out within the organization. You don't let rumors abound and not do anything to control them. And, if he couldn't man up and handle this situation right, I doubt he'll have much success on other organizations who aren't as patient or forgiving. I think Uncle Dennis had a malignant hand in this. It's a really unfortunate situation for all the SA fans and fans who admired Kawhi and still do. In the end, if he wanted to stay, you know Pop would work things out with him. But if he wants out he will use this as an excuse when he should just be truthful and say he wants a big market and Uncle Dennis wants to make him the next LeBron.

Exactly...be a stand up guy and set things straight.

offset formation
06-17-2018, 05:54 PM
A bunch fanboys are embarrassing themselves semen-shielding for this faggot till the bitter end. It is like they have never had Tim Duncan..

Truly pathetic scenes..

Seventyniner
06-17-2018, 05:59 PM
I wonder how long it'll be before it comes out that Magic has been hardcore tampering. I don't think it's explicitly illegal to talk to Uncle Dennis, but that would so violate the spirit of the rule that I think it would warrant punishment.

The absolute most Magic will get hit with is a 1 million dollar fine. Chump change if it means a chance at Kawhi, and the Lakers organization would pay it anyway.

callo1
06-17-2018, 06:49 PM
The mainstream media, which is controlled by the big markets created this dung storm, and so many people in SA went with it when there was nothing tangible going on. They wanted to create a rift between Kawhi and the Spurs, and now you have zoo tickets being revoked.

If you follow the bread crumbs back to last summer, the Lakers were "rumored" to go all in after Kawhi (as soon as PG signed with the Thunder). Social media is such garbage, and people are lemmings.

Now Magic Johnson can use his tempering skills to tell Kawhi to play for a town and an organization that "wants him".

Lakers already trying to deep six their tampering by saying they arn't even sure if they want Kawhi because of the risk of his injury.

Kawhi could be in a different uniform next year, but I seriously doubt it.

tholdren
06-17-2018, 06:50 PM
This isn't so much about Parker as it is about Porker fans calling Kawhi fans player fans. :lol

You dont write well.

RD2191
06-17-2018, 06:54 PM
You dont write well.

:rolleyes

spurs2112
06-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Just follow the money.

Lakers great = cha-ching money for the Lakers and mini-cha-ching money for the rest of the league

Great small market teams will have a long hiatus between peaks, and there will be very few of great small market teams

Small market teams have historically been farms to find superstars for large market teams.

Sounds about right.

Play Boban
06-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Making shit up, you should go eff yourself. :lol

Chinook
06-17-2018, 08:40 PM
The absolute most Magic will get hit with is a 1 million dollar fine. Chump change if it means a chance at Kawhi, and the Lakers organization would pay it anyway.

I think at this point, he'd get the book. Three strikes and all that.

tholdren
06-17-2018, 08:48 PM

How old are you using emojis?

RD2191
06-17-2018, 09:07 PM
How old are you using emojis?

rasuo214
06-17-2018, 10:04 PM

Then they should trade him while he still has value.

tholdren
06-17-2018, 10:09 PM
^^^^^^^^
45k.....

KimmyGib
06-18-2018, 03:04 AM
I think he was definitely hurt in the off-season and probably to start the season, it seems like everybody agrees with that and there wasn't any real bad blood at the time..they gave him time to figure things out, at least from a mental standpoint..

It's very evident that he sat out the 2nd half of the season for non-basketball reasons, though, that isn't even debatable IMO..everything we have heard these past 2 weeks adds up, it's a money issue, SA is reluctant to supermax him..there's NO WAY that Parker and Ginobili make those public comments(which they wouldn't have made without Pop co-signing) if that wasn't the case, it doesn't make any sense to jeopardize the team's relationship with its franchise cornerstone simply over a dispute over the diagnosis of an injury..the only reason that narrative got any play was because the Isiah Thomas situation(which was very rare, too) was so fresh in everybody's mind..

IMO the only consistent factors here are 1- Supermax/money dispute 2- As Woj reported, Kawhi's team is very disorganized and constantly changing their story

It's not a coincidence that Kawhi's team leaked that they were working things out and a meeting was imminent to discuss money, but then all of a sudden it's leaked that he is going to demand a trade:lol

If the Spurs and Kawhi had agreed on the money, I bet none of this shit would have happened IMO..it's all been leverage game since then..misdiagnosis of injury, doesn't like the roster, mad about the way Pop is approaching things, furious that Parker and Ginobili made comments through the media:lol

All narratives to save face, they are fully aware of how the public reacts to athletes regarding money disputes..I mostly disagree with the way fans view athletes and their money(especially in the NBA and NFL), I find it strange that they generally side with management over the employees, but I understand, I suppose..

I appreciate your insight. Agreed, it doesn't make much sense. But does it make any less sense than for the Spurs to have been so reluctant to supermax him, unless the injury were a major factor? In other words, if it's all a money issue, then I'd think the injury must've played a key role in making it an issue to begin with, and therefore Kawhi may have been legitimately unfit to play all year.

toki9
06-18-2018, 03:27 AM
I appreciate your insight. Agreed, it doesn't make much sense. But does it make any less sense than for the Spurs to have been so reluctant to supermax him, unless the injury were a major factor? In other words, if it's all a money issue, then I'd think the injury must've played a key role in making it an issue to begin with, and therefore Kawhi may have been legitimately unfit to play all year.

It's $219 million, starting at 35% of cap and if the cap increase doesn't keep pace, could easily rise to over 35% of cap over 5 years...it's not exactly a good contract from the team's perspective unless everything is airtight...but it could be that the money topic never even came up with Kawhi's camp...I think (and this is pure speculation) the Spurs diagnosis of potentially degenerative quad was taken by Kawhi's uncle/agent as an excuse by the Spurs to lowball the supermax, or rather, not offer the supermax...and that's why they went and sought 2nd, and then 3rd opinion--and kept the Spurs at arm's length. The irony here is that the Spurs probably would have offered the supermax had everyone been on the same page since the team's stance has consistently been that the quad needs proper treatment and management...if any team understands managing the long term health of their franchise player, it's the Spurs...Duncan basically played on one leg for years and years...but because of subsequent actions by Kawhi's camp, the Spurs probably grew increasingly uncomfortable with offering the supermax and thus the public posturing.

szkorhetz
06-18-2018, 03:31 AM
I don't want us to give him the supermax even if he is 100% healthy and engaged .

r0drig0lac
06-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Just follow the money.

spurs is the exception and would remain if Kawhi's uncle was not an ambitious idiot, so whatever;
treating spurs like any other small-market franchise is oversimplifying one of the strangest situations in league history

DMC
06-18-2018, 06:41 AM
spurs is the exception and would remain if Kawhi's uncle was not an ambitious idiot, so whatever;
treating spurs like any other small-market franchise is oversimplifying one of the strangest situations in league history

Spurs drafted David and Tim, and got lucky with Tony and Manu. Outside of those, they have Kawhi. You could say Bowen and Avery but let's be real, neither of those guys belongs in the rafters of an NBA team. David and Tim stayed in San Antonio because neither of them is socially ambitious. Kawhi appears that way as well, but Kawhi is facing a retiring coach and a future of struggle with G league level teammates against stacking teams, and SA isn't going to magically begin to attract big named free agents. If Lebron goes to SA, that's an oddity. It won't happen.

It's SA's time to ride the pine, and you can bet the NBA and sports media won't be pining for them to return to glory like they do the Lakers. They won't be wringing their hands trying to figure out which trades would make them contenders. They will be with the Minnesota's and Milwaukee's of the league.

r0drig0lac
06-18-2018, 06:46 AM
Spurs drafted David and Tim, and got lucky with Tony and Manu. Outside of those, they have Kawhi. You could say Bowen and Avery but let's be real, neither of those guys belongs in the rafters of an NBA team. David and Tim stayed in San Antonio because neither of them is socially ambitious. Kawhi appears that way as well, but Kawhi is facing a retiring coach and a future of struggle with G league level teammates against stacking teams, and SA isn't going to magically begin to attract big named free agents. If Lebron goes to SA, that's an oddity. It won't happen.

It's SA's time to ride the pine, and you can bet the NBA and sports media won't be pining for them to return to glory like they do the Lakers. They won't be wringing their hands trying to figure out which trades would make them contenders. They will be with the Minnesota's and Milwaukee's of the league.

I understand your point (and it makes sense in a way), but I believe the franchise deserves the benefit of the doubt for never having been through anything like that.

DMC
06-18-2018, 06:53 AM
I understand your point (and it makes sense in a way), but I believe the franchise deserves the benefit of the doubt for never having been through anything like that.

Kawhi hasn't been through it either.

In this case, the benefit of doubt relates to outcome, not blame. I don't know of any case in the NBA where a player is cleared to play and decides to sit out all year.

YGWHI
06-18-2018, 07:41 AM
I don't want us to give him the supermax even if he is 100% healthy and engaged .

Well, his camp let media know that he's 97% healthy now and 100% in training camp, that he wanted to stay in SA and was ready to sign an extension with the Spurs last week...

Then, Woj's "They are a long way from the offer of $219 contract" happened.

And his camp got mad and asked for a trade.

This is why I said the Spurs didn't handle this that well.

The team didn't need to go Woj, they could tell Kawhi's camp in the meeting they won't offer the supermax. But the Spurs were frustrated all season and wanted to expose his camp in front media.

I get why the Spurs did it but that type of actions don't help in contracts talks.

BSfromTX
06-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Well, his camp let media know that he's 97% healthy now and 100% in training camp, that he wanted to stay in SA and was ready to sign an extension with the Spurs last week...

The team didn't need to go Woj, they could tell Kawhi's camp in the meeting they won't offer the supermax. But the Spurs were frustrated all season and wanted to expose his camp in front media.

I get why the Spurs did it but that type of actions don't help in contracts talks.

i would agree, but your assuming PATFO leaked to Woj. It could very well be uncle Dennis or more speculation

YGWHI
06-18-2018, 07:52 AM

I bet this is one of the reasons why Kawhi's camp talk about "betrayed". Pop behind those words and the meeting.

"Then all of sudden"...Nah.
It was after Woj's "There're a long way from the offer of $219M" article. A few days ago his camp said he was healthy and ready to sign the extesion, after the article it seemed they felt disrespected by the Spurs.

baseline bum
06-18-2018, 08:01 AM
I bet this is one of the reasons why Kawhi's camp talk about "betrayed". Pop behind those words and the meeting.

It was after Woj's "There're a long way from the offer of $219M" article. A few days ago his camp said he was healthy and ready to sign the extesion, after the article it seemed they felt disrespected by the Spurs.

LOL they felt disrespected. Hard to be more disrespectful than Leonard was going AWOL from the team and not even sitting on the bench for the playoff games but then leaving New York the day after the team was eliminated. I don't know how anyone could look at that and not see he made up his mind on leaving the Spurs months ago.

YGWHI
06-18-2018, 08:05 AM
The Parker/Manu narratives are specially stupid IMO..I'm sure Kawhi was annoyed by their comments, but Manu is likely retiring and TP is a Free Agent..as much as we joke on here about Pop's favoritism, there's no fucking way he's telling Kawhi that he's going to choose an ancient TP over him:lol

Pop is 70 and may be out of touch with some of these new players, but he isn't stupid, he knows talent wins in this league..

Really? Parker said he wants to retire a Spur.

He also said he wants to be an NBA GM's some day... I wonder which FO's franchise would give him a job? A franchise where he played for...?

Kawhi, Pop, all people know that Parker -in one way or another- will be on the team next seasons.

YGWHI
06-18-2018, 08:11 AM
LOL they felt disrespected. Hard to be more disrespectful than Leonard was going AWOL from the team and not even sitting on the bench for the playoff games but then leaving New York the day after the team was eliminated. I don't know how anyone could look at that and not see he made up his mind on leaving the Spurs months ago.

Again, I said I understand why the Spurs got frustrated but unless they really wanted that Kawhi to leave the team, there wasn't a need to handle this situation in the way they did.

You know if they're in contracts talks, BOTH sides could avoid some things. That includes the team that wants to keep a player.

urunobili
06-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Can someone link me to the Manu calling Kawhi in the media (whatever that may have been) being at the same level of 100 times worse plz?

baseline bum
06-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Again, I said I understand why the Spurs got frustrated but unless they really wanted that Kawhi to leave the team, there wasn't a need to handle this situation in the way they did.

You know if they're in contracts talks, BOTH sides could avoid some things. That includes the team that wants to keep a player.

By having their doctors clear him? Kawhi has been gone for months now. I don't buy this crap that they lost him this week and that he was ready to sign a deal here.

K...
06-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Oohit burns, so bad tweet

JFK
06-18-2018, 09:16 AM
By having their doctors clear him? Kawhi has been gone for months now. I don't buy this crap that they lost him this week and that he was ready to sign a deal here.

I think Kawhi and Uncle Dennis are now purposefully trying to do as much damage to the Spurs reputation and Popovich on the way out of here. The sooner they get rid of this guy the better, as it is way overdue by now.

The Spurs cannot hold onto him after the draft and all the way through the deadline, yet they also will not panic and take a shitty deal.

I want them to do whats in their best interest at this point and also not accomodate him and that piece of shit Uncle Dennis.

BSfromTX
06-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Kawhi's camp is trying desperately to justify wanting to leave. Anything Pop, Manu, or Tony has said has been provoked, yet Kawhi lovers are trying to spin it as the first shots fired.

daslicer
06-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Kawhi's camp is trying desperately to justify wanting to leave. Anything Pop, Manu, or Tony has said has been provoked, yet Kawhi lovers are trying to spin it as the first shots fired.

His fanboys are just a bunch of snowflakes. If Kawhi really was offended by what those guys said then he should have been a man and just confronted them about it instead of going into hiding.

baseline bum
06-18-2018, 09:46 AM
I think Kawhi and Uncle Dennis are now purposefully trying to do as much damage to the Spurs reputation and Popovich on the way out of here. The sooner they get rid of this guy the better, as it is way overdue by now.

The Spurs cannot hold onto him after the draft and all the way through the deadline, yet they also will not panic and take a shitty deal.

I want them to do whats in their best interest at this point and also not accomodate him and that piece of shit Uncle Dennis.

I think they can hold onto him as long as it takes to get a good offer. I'd dismiss him from the team if he still isn't traded by training camp though. I'd lose him for nothing rather than give him to Boston or LA for peanuts. I'd take the gamble it wouldn't come to that since it would mean Leonard taking a huge paycut to sign with a team in summer 2019 though.

jmard5
06-18-2018, 10:04 AM

And the Spurs has every reason and right to say that there is a long way from the offer of $219 contract! Kawhi not playing is not an assurance at all since it is all speculation now when he was truly healthy. Them not allowing Kawhi to talk to Popovich does not help either. They need to show that they are fully commited to the team.

r0drig0lac
06-18-2018, 10:24 AM
I think they can hold onto him as long as it takes to get a good offer. I'd dismiss him from the team if he still isn't traded by training camp though. I'd lose him for nothing rather than give him to Boston or LA for peanuts. I'd take the gamble it wouldn't come to that since it would mean Leonard taking a huge paycut to sign with a team in summer 2019 though.

this

BillMc
06-18-2018, 10:26 AM
This

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Doncic >>>>>>>> Leonard

cool cat
06-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Again Kawhi turned downed $20 million shoe deal and now wont sit down and try to get Supermax which will lose him another guaranteed $80 million.
He is $100 million in the hole and might end up in basketball purgatory for a year with a high chance of losing even more if he gets hurt(or just hasn't healed).

Spurs on the other hand in an injured filled season are 7th seed in the west, and can either get a few pieces for Kawhi which will move them back to top 4 in West. Or go full rebuild and in 2 or 3 years be built to contend for future like Boston.

BSfromTX
06-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Again Kawhi turned downed $20 million shoe deal and now wont sit down and try to get Supermax which will lose him another guaranteed $80 million.
He is $100 million in the hole and might end up in basketball purgatory for a year with a high chance of losing even more if he gets hurt(or just hasn't healed).

Spurs on the other hand in an injured filled season are 7th seed in the west, and can either get a few pieces for Kawhi which will move them back to top 4 in West. Or go full rebuild and in 2 or 3 years be built to contend for future like Boston.

No kidding. I am having a hard time understanding "his camp's" position. Uncle dennis seems to be riding that train right into the ditch.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 12:27 PM

It was after Woj's "There're a long way from the offer of $219M" article. A few days ago his camp said he was healthy and ready to sign the extesion, after the article it seemed they felt disrespected by the Spurs.Why does Kawhi have to have a camp speak for him?

JFK
06-18-2018, 12:35 PM
No kidding. I am having a hard time understanding "his camp's" position. Uncle dennis seems to be riding that train right into the ditch.

He's betting big on the future. He believes Kawhi is there behind LeBron as the best player in the NBA if not THE best player in the NBA above Lebron, because of how he played him before in the Finals.

I think now this is also a "scorched earth" campaign by Uncle Dennis against the Spurs organization, on the way out, to make them pay for these percieved slights in through the media lately.

I also think now Kawhi had no intentions of ever staying here in San Antonio and was going to move on anyways. This just makes it easier for them.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Why does Kawhi have to have a camp speak for him?

Because he is autistic??

BSfromTX
06-18-2018, 12:39 PM

Good question. My assumption is he just isn't man enough to take charge of his situation and would rather leave it to the poor PR skills of his uncle to get what he wants. I really don't care if he wants to go to LA or anywhere else.. Just say so and let everyone get on their merry way and start the process. Instead uncle dennis is doing a very piss poor job of trying to drag the organization through the mud in order to justify what they ultimately want to do.

I do believe they would want to stay for the full supermax, but my guess is that is off the table because of quad issue and the hold out for the second half of the season.

K...
06-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Because he went with a dumb agent who doesn't prioritize repeat business. Kawhi also had abandonment issues

JFK
06-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Good question. My assumption is he just isn't man enough to take charge of his situation and would rather leave it to the poor PR skills of his uncle to get what he wants. I really don't care if he wants to go to LA or anywhere else.. Just say so and let everyone get on their merry way and start the process. Instead uncle dennis is doing a very piss poor job of trying to drag the organization through the mud in order to justify what they ultimately want to do.

I do believe they would want to stay for the full supermax, but my guess is that is off the table because of quad issue and the hold out for the second half of the season.

Because he feels he owes Uncle Dennis. He is family. From that Ramona Shelburne article Uncle Dennis has other business ventures that aren't going as planned or they are trying to get them off the ground.

ALso, the guy has proven to be a head case and I'm sure he is home sick and they're helping him to go back home. Ask yourself too, would he be able to pull all of this crap with a regular player agent? Probably not, so Uncle Dennis is family and can help. Fuck them both. I can't wait for them to be gone from the Spurs.

YGWHI
06-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Well, his camp was very clear that they will sign an extension in last weeks.

YGWHI
06-19-2018, 07:18 AM
And the Spurs has every reason and right to say that there is a long way from the offer of $219 contract!

The Spurs, not Woj.

The team lost the opportunity to meet Kawhi after that Woj's article. But at this point, I guess that is exactly what the Spurs really wanted it, otherwise I don't get why they handled this that bad.

lefty
06-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Sperms aren't as classy as people think

YGWHI
06-19-2018, 07:24 AM
How do you think that pro players negotiate their contracts? Do you think they talk with the teams? Don't be naive, every player has his own guys.

baseline bum
06-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Well, his camp was very clear that they will sign an extension in last weeks.

I guess for you words speak louder than action?

cd98
06-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Eh, is it a good idea to sign Kawhi for the next 5 years. His uncle has some crazy ideas. He sat Kawhi out a whole year that could have been a title run. A year that will take away his stats that go towards his career accomplishments. How do we know he won't do more crazy stuff over the next five years? I'm comfortable with trading him even though I enjoy watching him play as a Spur.

BSfromTX
06-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Eh, is it a good idea to sign Kawhi for the next 5 years. His uncle has some crazy ideas. He sat Kawhi out a whole year that could have been a title run. A year that will take away his stats that go towards his career accomplishments. How do we know he won't do more crazy stuff over the next five years? I'm comfortable with trading him even though I enjoy watching him play as a Spur.

Agree. I will not lose any sleep if Kawhi gets shipped out.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Basically. Unless your relative is very good at what they do, one shouldn't get them involved in one's business.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Indeed.

ducks
06-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Kawhi didn't ask for the torch. Tbh fwiw imo. And for what it's worth, I see Kawhi as more of a Pippen than a Jordan.

he wants supermax he better get torch!

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2018, 04:59 PM
he wants supermax he better get torch!

:tu

therealtruth
06-29-2018, 08:52 PM
TP opens his mouth and screws things up again as he has in the past. "I don't know why they keep leaving DG open."