PDA

View Full Version : Our mistake was believing Kawhi Leonard was Tim Duncan

poop
06-17-2018, 10:12 PM
In all seriousness, even i was starting to believe the spurs were just that lucky, that they could transition smoothly from DRob, to Tim, right onto Kawhi. Seemingly the same type of person, quiet, no-nonsense personality, fundamentals perfection, no-Ego superstardom. Well, we all got hit with the Reality ugly stick epically hard. Despite appearances, we werent so lucky. Kawhi, despite seeming like a clone of Tim Duncan in the 3 spot, turned out to be a 'me-first, why am i staying in a small market, hey i kinda like the superstar thing' type player we have seen so often on other teams and thought 'man, im so glad the spurs are different'. Well, the Reality Stick just hit us square between the eyes. Kawhi is a douchebag. Either that, or he just doesnt like Pop..which is understandable.

SPURt
06-17-2018, 10:16 PM
To the OG posters, was Spurstalk around when Timmy almost went to Orlando? What was the reaction then?

SuperCam
06-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Tim was an alpha with a quiet personality but an alpha none the less. Kiwi as good as he became was never an alpha, just a all-nba talented beta who played with a super high level role player mentality tbh.

sananspursfan21
06-17-2018, 10:28 PM
I mean, I fell for it. Thought it was too good to be true but totally believed it. Duncan with cornrows :(

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2018, 10:43 PM
To the OG posters, was Spurstalk around when Timmy almost went to Orlando? What was the reaction then?

Cliff jumping. Hysteria. Crossed with fantasies of Grant Hill coming to SA for the vet minimum.

Chinook
06-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Some did make that mistake. I didn't. Tim is not a quiet guy. He just doesn't talk to the media. If you look on the sidelines, you could see how vocal Tim was, and how much he cared about his teammates. That was never Leonard. It doesn't make Kawhi a bad guy, but he's not Tim. No one is.

FkLA
06-17-2018, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I remember it was widely known that Antonio Daniels was Tim's best friend. He also used to have guys over all the time to play shit like Madden. Set up paint ball days, off-season workouts, etc. Based off stories you hear from Elliott and Bonner, you can tell that he was a vocal joker in the locker room. I don't think Kawhi has a single close NBA friend or hangs out with any of his teammates outside of basketball.

offset formation
06-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Some did make that mistake. I didn't. Tim is not a quiet guy. He just doesn't talk to the media. If you look on the sidelines, you could see how vocal Tim was, and how much he cared about his teammates. That was never Leonard. It doesn't make Kawhi a bad guy, but he's not Tim. No one is.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/449/803/3803449.gif

Amuseddaysleeper
06-17-2018, 11:14 PM

Spurs talk wasn't around back then, but I remember being nervous as hell. A lot of the media were reporting Duncan to Orlando as a done deal.

Hell, even Bill Simmons at the time felt that Duncan should have gone to Orlando instead of wasting his years with SA.

Othyus Lalanne
06-17-2018, 11:18 PM

As time went on he smiled and talked more on the sidelines and the court. Probably has PTSD from his fathers brain blown out in front of him.

baseline bum
06-17-2018, 11:24 PM

It wasn't, but Spursreport and the WOAI Spurs boards were pretty active, and everyone was flipping out when he looked headed to Orlando.

baseline bum
06-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Cliff jumping. Hysteria. Crossed with fantasies of Grant Hill coming to SA for the vet minimum.

That fucking dumbass Peter Vescey reported Grant Hill would come to the Spurs for the minimum. :lol

Then a week later Hill was definitely going to Philly to play with Iverson. :lmao

spursistan
06-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Instead, we ended-up with Derrick Rose 2.0..

TimDunkem
06-18-2018, 12:08 AM
Who the fuck believed he was?

DeRozan m8
06-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Not really.....

My biggest gripe is he won't even see out his contract and treated us like chumps for a season.

Weak as piss

TheGreatYacht
06-18-2018, 01:49 AM
The only mistake was retards thinking Poop was the sole reason behind all the success.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 03:45 AM
:bobo

r0drig0lac
06-18-2018, 05:37 AM

DMC
06-18-2018, 06:59 AM
Instead of shoving your heads up his ass, why don't you guys wait until the chicken is done to see if it's an egg or shit?

Texas_Ranger
06-18-2018, 07:26 AM

YGWHI
06-18-2018, 07:26 AM
It wasn't OUR mistake. It was POP's mistake.

He thought Kawhi would feel like Tim about Spurs...Tim always felt Pop as a father, a friend, and the Spurs are his family. That wasn't Kawhi's case.

Kawhi only wanted to become one of the best player in the world, he didn't want a new family.

If you watch videos of his few interviews, he always said he only wants to get better and help the team to win. If you hear him, unlike the Big3 talking about the Spurs as a family, Kawhi never said that.

Some people aren't willing to accept that Pop made a mistake but he already did it. He never read well Kawhi's situation and now the Spurs lost a top-5 player.

gilmor2002
06-18-2018, 07:32 AM
Tim is like Gandalf, who will rope in the minnions to achieve the main goal; Kawhi is like Saruman, he appears harmless at first, but was actually cohort with the devil Sauron all the time

Chillen
06-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Yeah I don't get this, Kawhi is a different person and type of player he is no Tim Duncan. I get the Spurs culture aspect for Pop. Duncan is a one of a kind NBA talent that won't come around again for awhile.

RD2191
06-18-2018, 08:58 AM
The only mistake was retards thinking Poop was the sole reason behind all the success.

Tbh

exstatic
06-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Pop spent 250+ days a year with Kawhi over 7 seasons, so I don't think Pop ever thought Kawhi was Tim. He also probably didn't think he was an opportunistic back stabber.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 09:01 AM

I keep seeing this spouted as some defense of Kawhi and a few things:

1. Tim didn’t leave.

2. Tim sat down face to face with Pop to discuss things like a professional.

3. No one is mad at a free agent trying to look at their options; they are mad with snake behavior behind the scenes and creating locker room issues.

ginobilized
06-18-2018, 09:02 AM
I started watching the NBA in 1976. I have seen a lot of players come and go. Many different types.
There is no one like Tim Duncan as a leader, teammate and competitor. Opponents had more respect for Tim than anyone I have seen. Rarely, and unsuccessfully, players would
try to mess with Tim. It never worked. Even Shaq said he was the only unbreakable foe he ever faced. It's not fair to compare anyone to Tim.

There has been so much media and social media spin on the Kawhi situation that it is hard to know what's real and what's not. Time usually tells.

As for Pop, he understood Tim well and built a successful system around him that has adapted as the game changed. He's a great coach. He's no Tim Duncan.
Pop is not made for the millennial generation, no doubt. However, I wouldn't underestimate Pop's strategic skills, smarts and outside the box thinking to pull one more rabbit out of his hat before he retires. He's done it before.
But it seems pretty apparent he either fucked up or he read the writing on the wall early and was proactive about it. Either way, it sounds like a done deal.

SpursDynasty85
06-18-2018, 09:03 AM
I honestly thought Kawhi was going to be a Tim Duncan type. No one knows the full story including us but if the Spurs expected a bit more loyalty from Kawhi, I dont blame them either. Kawhi is super passive and quiet and Spurs still had Duncan right there with a winning track record and reputation. It didn't help that Leonard's closest relative became ultra aggressive at a time when Spurs were handing out loyalty contracts, NBA free agents were making ridiculous unearned money, and finally their biggest sponsor (Jordan) says you're marketability sucks. Hurricane storm of events that no one could foreshadow I'm sure. Missed by management because the Big 3 were still so much the focus. Lessons learned it is time to probably move on. Spurs are still in good position to retool and try to compete.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 09:04 AM

He thought Kawhi would feel like Tim about Spurs...Tim always felt Pop as a father, a friend, and the Spurs are his family. That wasn't Kawhi's case.

Kawhi only wanted to become one of the best player in the world, he didn't want a new family.

If you watch videos of his few interviews, he always said he only wants to get better and help the team to win. If you hear him, unlike the Big3 talking about the Spurs as a family, Kawhi never said that.

Some people aren't willing to accept that Pop made a mistake but he already did it. He never read well Kawhi's situation and now the Spurs lost a top-5 player.

:lmao What a mistake! SA thought they had a leader and the coach wanted to be close to the player he coaches! What a monster!!!

Brazil
06-18-2018, 09:14 AM
the comparaison between Kawhi and Duncan flirting with the idea to go Orlando is dumb... in what parallel universe Duncan faked a never ending injury and cut all relations with FO :lol

clambake
06-18-2018, 09:15 AM
bitch move.

MVPCues
06-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Tim is like Gandalf, who will rope in the minnions to achieve the main goal; Kawhi is like movie version of Saruman, he appears harmless at first, but was actually cohort with the devil Sauron all the time

Fixed it for you.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 09:24 AM
What’s really funny about people spouting off about “kawhi isn’t tim” and “when tim left there was a leadership void” is you realize what that means? People are saying that in DEFENSE of Kawhi but all that means is he is not a leader. Not being a leader, not being someone who can be a part of a team and build relationships is not a term of endearment or a defense.

daslicer
06-18-2018, 09:26 AM
I never believed Kawhi was anything like Duncan. I think anybody who believed that really doesn't know how to read people and lacks awareness. Duncan was highly intelligent person evident by his degree in psychology from WF. Go read the chapter of a book Duncan wrote dealing with psychology to get an idea of how intelligent he is. Kawhi just strikes me as a dumb guy on the levels of Adam Sandler's water-boy character. It's funny how the media hypes of Kawhi to be intelligent simply because he's quiet but I see a guy who has no substance in any of his interviews. Duncan is an introvert but like others have said he was a very social person with his teammates. Kawhi on the hand is an introvert who has never reached out to any of his teammates and doesn't want to reach out to them. Like others have said Duncan had great leadership skills while Kawhi doesn't. Kawhi's fanboys will scream "Kawhi doesn't want to have relationships with his coach or teammates and just wants to play ball." well that's a sign of someone who can't lead. To be a leader you have to have relationships with you co-workers.

RD2191
06-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Enjoy the lottery spurm fans. :lol

Brazil
06-18-2018, 09:29 AM

aren't you a spurm fan

poop
06-18-2018, 09:32 AM

Good point

daslicer
06-18-2018, 09:33 AM

I fine with that TBH the spurs can be a 10 win team for the next 30 years and it wouldn't phase me. Unlike you I was never a bandwagon fan so I could appreciate all the 5 titles and what they meant. Those 5 titles will last a lifetime for me.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 09:39 AM

We will - what do you have to enjoy in life?

RD2191
06-18-2018, 09:42 AM
aren't you a spurm fan

I fine with that TBH the spurs can be a 10 win team for the next 30 years and it wouldn't phase me. Unlike you I was never a bandwagon fan so I could appreciate all the 5 titles and what they meant. Those 5 titles will last a lifetime for me.

We will - what do you have to enjoy in life?

:lmao

SuperCam
06-18-2018, 09:44 AM
aren't you a spurm fan

:lol

daslicer
06-18-2018, 09:50 AM
:lmao

:lmao right back at you.

SPURt
06-18-2018, 10:26 AM

1. Tim didn’t leave.

3. No one is mad at a free agent trying to look at their options; they are mad with snake behavior behind the scenes and creating locker room issues.
I’m not defending Kawhi at all. I wanted to get a perspective on how the media and fans reacted to Tim’s free agency. The media cycle is much different now. I agree, to this point based on what we’re hearing from “sources”, Kawhi has conducted himself in a way less professional manner.

I was looking for hope that this may be journalist hype. It sounds like the media was packing Tim’s bags too.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 11:07 AM
I started watching the NBA in 1976. I have seen a lot of players come and go. Many different types.
There is no one like Tim Duncan as a leader, teammate and competitor. Opponents had more respect for Tim than anyone I have seen. Rarely, and unsuccessfully, players would
try to mess with Tim. It never worked. Even Shaq said he was the only unbreakable foe he ever faced. It's not fair to compare anyone to Tim.

There has been so much media and social media spin on the Kawhi situation that it is hard to know what's real and what's not. Time usually tells.

As for Pop, he understood Tim well and built a successful system around him that has adapted as the game changed. He's a great coach. He's no Tim Duncan.
Pop is not made for the millennial generation, no doubt. However, I wouldn't underestimate Pop's strategic skills, smarts and outside the box thinking to pull one more rabbit out of his hat before he retires. He's done it before.
But it seems pretty apparent he either fucked up or he read the writing on the wall early and was proactive about it. Either way, it sounds like a done deal.

------------------------------------------------------------

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 11:09 AM
I never believed Kawhi was anything like Duncan. I think anybody who believed that really doesn't know how to read people and lacks awareness. Duncan was highly intelligent person evident by his degree in psychology from WF. Go read the chapter of a book Duncan wrote dealing with psychology to get an idea of how intelligent he is. Kawhi just strikes me as a dumb guy on the levels of Adam Sandler's water-boy character. It's funny how the media hypes of Kawhi to be intelligent simply because he's quiet but I see a guy who has no substance in any of his interviews. Duncan is an introvert but like others have said he was a very social person with his teammates. Kawhi on the hand is an introvert who has never reached out to any of his teammates and doesn't want to reach out to them. Like others have said Duncan had great leadership skills while Kawhi doesn't. Kawhi's fanboys will scream "Kawhi doesn't want to have relationships with his coach or teammates and just wants to play ball." well that's a sign of someone who can't lead. To be a leader you have to have relationships with you co-workers.

------------------------------------------------

Agree.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Some people aren't willing to accept that Pop made a mistake but he already did it. He never read well Kawhi's situation and now the Spurs lost a top-5 player.Kawhi's kind of pathetic tbh.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2018, 11:18 AM
It was all there for anyone to see.

Recall the times when Pop over the past 2-3 years talked about dumb stuff like "who cares about basketball, NASA found new planets today", or when they were on the losing streak last year and instead of figuring out how to stop it, Pop had them sit and watch videos about the civil rights movement, as if his $500/bottle of wine per night ass would know anything about the plight of minorities in this country.

Meanwhile, the press would ask Kawhi what he thought and he'd say he just wanted to keep improving and become the best basketball player in the world and win more titles.

As much as Pop talks about players needing to get over themselves, Pop never got over himself or the idea that all of his players should march to the beat of his drum or else. Kawhi's had a singular focus and drive to be the best player in the world since he was drafted, and Pop was too busy virtue signaling to adjust how he handled Kawhi or the organization as a whole.

Not laying this all at Pop's feet, but how he's gone about his comments to the press and how he's handled the team since they won that title in 2014 is just tone deaf relative to Kawhi's focus.

ducks
06-18-2018, 11:21 AM
think it would be best pop would just retire from coaching the spurs

RD2191
06-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Recall the times when Pop over the past 2-3 years talked about dumb stuff like "who cares about basketball, NASA found new planets today", or when they were on the losing streak last year and instead of figuring out how to stop it, Pop had them sit and watch videos about the civil rights movement, as if his $500/bottle of wine per night ass would know anything about the plight of minorities in this country.

Meanwhile, the press would ask Kawhi what he thought and he'd say he just wanted to keep improving and become the best basketball player in the world and win more titles.

As much as Pop talks about players needing to get over themselves, Pop never got over himself or the idea that all of his players should march to the beat of his drum or else. Kawhi's had a singular focus and drive to be the best player in the world since he was drafted, and Pop was too busy virtue signaling to adjust how he handled Kawhi or the organization as a whole.

Not laying this all at Pop's feet, but how he's gone about his comments to the press and how he's handled the team since they won that title in 2014 is just tone deaf relative to Kawhi's focus.

:wow great post

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 11:32 AM

Not laying this all at Pop's feet, but how he's gone about his comments to the press and how he's handled the team since they won that title in 2014 is just tone deaf relative to Kawhi's focus.What makes you think Pop wasn't always like this before 2014?

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Everyone seems to be dealing with this news with the aid of his own confirmation bias. I can only judge the actual actions or nonactions of Kawhi as weak sauce.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 11:33 AM
What makes you think Pop wasn't always like this before 2014?

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Everyone seems to be dealing with this news with the aid of his own confirmation bias. I can only judge the actual actions or nonactions of Kawhi as weak sauce.

Also why can’t you both care about improving and winning along with other stuff. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Also why can’t you both care about improving and winning along with other stuff. They aren’t mutually exclusive.:lol Wasn't one of the rumors that Kawhi thought Pop was working the players too hard in practices?

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 11:41 AM
:lol Wasn't one of the rumors that Kawhi thought Pop was working the players too hard in practices?

:lol Yup.

:cry Pop is not just talking about basketball when asked. Must mean he has NO desire to coach or win!!!

ducks
06-18-2018, 11:47 AM

:cry Pop is not just talking about basketball when asked. Must mean he has NO desire to coach or win!!!

Is not basketball his job
Those other topics he can call in or go on
I am sure they would love him to

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Is not basketball his job
Those other topics he can call in or go on
I am sure they would love him to

Do you have a job? Do you only talk about your job 24 hours a day?

K...
06-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Also it looks pretty bad to say it's pops fault considering his wife died after a lengthy illness. Maybe those aloof comments are a more about his personal life

ducks
06-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Do you have a job? Do you only talk about your job 24 hours a day?

I do not doing a basketball game when I am coaching what the primary results were at the time like Pop did.
I do not hold a spurs press conference just to blast the president especially since pop hates the press. He called it just to blast the president. even if he called it to praise him I would think it is wrong. Politics have no place in sports. Outside he can give money or march or do whatever it is fine. (just like football players)

ducks
06-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Also it looks pretty bad to say it's pops fault considering his wife died after a lengthy illness. Maybe those aloof comments are a more about his personal life

If he can not handle it resign. That is the right think to do. He took 2 games off wow. Proud of him for doing that when she was sick but he should have took the rest of the year off.
EGO EGO EGO. RC would have let him

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 11:58 AM

:cry Pop is not just talking about basketball when asked. Must mean he has NO desire to coach or win!!!Kawhi became the second or third best player in the league under Pop and made the WCF the last year he actually played at that level, so what was so sorely lacking for him?

If he doesn't like Pop or his teammates personally, so be it. If he wants to leave for more potential money or a more attractive location, so be it. If he thinks Pop and the team are holding him back by trashing Trump and making him work hard in practice, so be it. The fact none of us actually knows the reason is why I'm calling Kawhi pathetic. Just speak up for once.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 11:58 AM
I do not doing a basketball game when I am coaching what the primary results were at the time like Pop did.
I do not hold a spurs press conference just to blast the president especially since pop hates the press. He called it just to blast the president. even if he called it to praise him I would think it is wrong. Politics have no place in sports. Outside he can give money or march or do whatever it is fine. (just like football players)You post in the political forum from work all the time.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Kawhi became the second or third best player in the league under Pop and made the WCF the last year he actually played at that level, so what was so sorely lacking for him?

If he doesn't like Pop or his teammates personally, so be it. If he wants to leave for more potential money or a more attractive location, so be it. If he thinks Pop and the team are holding him back by trashing Trump and making him work hard in practice, so be it. The fact none of us actually knows the reason is why I'm calling Kawhi pathetic. Just speak up for once.

And I’ve seen a lot of people with the wait and see approach before blaming Kawhi and that is reasonable. I personally though put the blame on him even if he stays and does great for SA for years to come.

Ultimatley it’s his life and whether he’s pulling the stings or letting someone else do that for him, it’s on him.

keithington1
06-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I fell in love with Kawhi. This feels like a break up. If he's not gonna talk we have to move on.

ducks
06-18-2018, 12:08 PM
You post in the political forum from work all the time.

I am working on 3 computers right now
installing 7 on a computer 10 on a computer
running virus scans
during the winter I do not have as much time to post here because of more computers
I can multitask unlike you!

DMC
06-18-2018, 12:09 PM

I said years ago that Kawhi works on Kawhi, he does not do team stuff. When he's practicing he's practicing his shot his moves and his dribbling. That's why when he's working with the team during the game you can tell that he's the odd person out because he's either going ISO or he has to dump off after a double team. There's not a lot of ball movement through him.

Of course the felchers here will say that he's a leader and that is what they said. He's no leader. He does not want to be a leader. Not everyone wants to be the face of the franchise. Everyone wants to get paid though.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 12:15 PM
And I’ve seen a lot of people with the wait and see approach before blaming Kawhi and that is reasonable. I personally though put the blame on him even if he stays and does great for SA for years to come.

Ultimatley it’s his life and whether he’s pulling the stings or letting someone else do that for him, it’s on him.Exactly. What the Spurs want is obvious and public. The only thing for them is whether to pay the supermax or less-- and even that question has been exacerbated by Kawhi's not being clear about anything.

Since it's all rumors and hearsay, I can hold out the dim hope this is some stupid negotiating tactic to get the supermax. If he really wants out, he should just say so himself and let the Spurs get to work on that. Pretty simple.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 12:16 PM
I am working on 3 computers right now
installing 7 on a computer 10 on a computer
running virus scans
during the winter I do not have as much time to post here because of more computers
I can multitask unlike you!Thanks for admitting you talk about politics while you're supposed to be working. :tu

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Thanks for admitting you talk about politics while you're supposed to be working. :tu

Ducks doesn’t care about his job and should be fired.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 12:25 PM
I said years ago that Kawhi works on Kawhi, he does not do team stuff. When he's practicing he's practicing his shot his moves and his dribbling. That's why when he's working with the team during the game you can tell that he's the odd person out because he's either going ISO or he has to dump off after a double team. There's not a lot of ball movement through him.

Of course the felchers here will say that he's a leader and that is what they said. He's no leader. He does not want to be a leader. Not everyone wants to be the face of the franchise. Everyone wants to get paid though.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 12:27 PM
1. Lebron

2 Durant

3. Davis

4. Curry

Objectively speaking, Kawhi not even in the Top 4 really.........

Correct me if Im wrong......

RD2191
06-18-2018, 12:29 PM
1. Lebron

2 Durant

3. Davis

4. Curry

Correct me if Im wrong......

You're wrong.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 12:32 PM
1. Lebron

2 Durant

3. Davis

4. Curry

Correct me if Im wrong......Well yeah, because they're actually players who played.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM
You're wrong.

Share your ranking pls......

MannyIsGod
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM

That was before Spurstalk but it might have been when some of us were on one of two other forums. Honestly, I don't remember talking about it much on the internet.

ducks
06-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for admitting you talk about politics while you're supposed to be working. :tu

I am working I am allowed to surf the internet when I am not fixing a computer or heling a walk in

ducks
06-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Ducks doesn’t care about his job and should be fired.

been with the same company since 2000

spurraider21
06-18-2018, 12:49 PM
wonder if ducks logs in on other people's computers while "fixing" them and forgets to logout tbh :lol

ducks
06-18-2018, 12:57 PM
ducks does not log on to spurstalk on other peoples computers

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2018, 01:10 PM
What makes you think Pop wasn't always like this before 2014?

Here's the thing, I don't ever recall Pop pulling something like that until last year. Specifically, they were on a big losing streak (think it was the longest under Pop ever or something like that). Everyone was saying the Spurs were in a funk and needed a change.

Then it comes out Pop made the team watch the civil rights stuff in film breakdown instead of addressing problems. What struck me was that even Manu came out after and said that they needed to change what they were doing and how they were approaching the issues around the losses, etc. It seemed even Manu was frustrated with watching the SJW stuff while the losses continued to pile up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2018, 01:15 PM
That was before Spurstalk but it might have been when some of us were on one of two other forums. Honestly, I don't remember talking about it much on the internet.

The Tim to Orlando thing was pre-spurstalk. But on the predecessor forum, yeah, it was a full on meltdown, especially when some reports hit that Tim was gone (I wanna say that came through Don Harris?).

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Here's the thing, I don't ever recall Pop pulling something like that until last year. Specifically, they were on a big losing streak (think it was the longest under Pop ever or something like that). Everyone was saying the Spurs were in a funk and needed a change.

Then it comes out Pop made the team watch the civil rights stuff in film breakdown instead of addressing problems. What struck me was that even Manu came out after and said that they needed to change what they were doing and how they were approaching the issues around the losses, etc. It seemed even Manu was frustrated with watching the SJW stuff while the losses continued to pile up.You think they just explicitly didn't address problems on the court at all because they watched something about civil rights?

It's total SpursTalk to read your own agenda into whatever you see in the media.

Chinook
06-18-2018, 01:18 PM

Then it comes out Pop made the team watch the civil rights stuff in film breakdown instead of addressing problems. What struck me was that even Manu came out after and said that they needed to change what they were doing and how they were approaching the issues around the losses, etc. It seemed even Manu was frustrated with watching the SJW stuff while the losses continued to pile up.

They were doing stuff like that in 2014. Patty was talking about it after winning the title. Trump may have made him worse (like he did everyone else), but this isn't a new tact by the coach at all.

poop
06-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Hell yes times a million. Pop is the one that never got over himself, his ego has only grown over the years to the point where hes now gone full hollywood-style, completely aloof virtue-signaling libtard. Hes decisions have done tremendous damage to the franchise, damage which is is only starting to reveal itself.

poop
06-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Like thats the same thing as Pop :rolleyes

Pop has an enormous platform as Dictator..i mean Coach of the spurs franchise and has chosen to use his position to audition for a job with CNN

He is in the entertainment business and deliberately chose to rain shit onto half his team's fanbase, completely unnecessarily, for no other reason than he is still butthurt that Hillary lost and his massive ego needed to show it was outraged as loudly and publically as possible

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Like thats the same thing as Pop :rolleyes

Pop has an enormous platform as Dictator..i mean Coach of the spurs franchise and has chosen to use his position to audition for a job with CNN

He is in the entertainment business and deliberately chose to rain shit onto half his team's fanbase, completely unnecessarily, for no other reason than he is still butthurt that Hillary lost and his massive ego needed to show it was outraged as loudly and publically as possibleYou're such a snowflake.

daslicer
06-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Amazing how a bunch of Trumptards have hijacked this thread. I can't see how Pop hating Trump has anything to do with how Kawhi is nothing like Duncan. Trumptards have to be the biggest retards out there.

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2018, 02:59 PM
It's strange how Trump supporters think this has ANYTHING to do with Pop's politics:lol

In a very liberal league where the marquee players constantly criticize Trump, they think Kawhi Leonard(of all people lol) is upset that Pop has political opinions?:lol

callo1
06-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Unless we were to believe the report from March stating that Kawhi wanted Pop to go easier on him in practice.

Hardly the focus of a person who wants to be a player who wants to be great.

That's why I am not believing a thing coming from the media. I will wait until either Kawhi or the organization speaks.

poop
06-18-2018, 03:09 PM
You're such a snowflake.

Cannot challenge the facts, resort to simple name-calling. Standard libtard procedure.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Cannot challenge the facts, resort to simple name-calling. Standard libtard procedure.I acknowledge the fact your feelings were hurt by meanies.

ducks
06-18-2018, 03:18 PM
do not agree with liberals you are a racist

daslicer
06-18-2018, 03:21 PM

do not agree with conservatives and you are unpatriotic.

poop
06-18-2018, 03:31 PM
I acknowledge the fact your feelings were hurt by meanies.

In other words, your party's entire platform :rollin

poop
06-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Exactly. Great sig btw

exstatic
06-18-2018, 03:48 PM
It's strange how Trump supporters think this has ANYTHING to do with Pop's politics:lol

In a very liberal league where the marquee players constantly criticize Trump, they think Kawhi Leonard(of all people lol) is upset that Pop has political opinions?:lol

The same shit was pedaled by the same posters about Dedmon and why he left.

It's completely ridiculous to think that any black NBA player would be upset about Pop calling Trump a racist. Black athletes across all sports and across the country are rejecting invites to the WH after winning titles.

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 03:52 PM
In other words, your party's entire platform :rollinA party's entire platform was your feelings were hurt by Pop?

poop
06-18-2018, 04:10 PM
The same shit was pedaled by the same posters about Dedmon and why he left.

It's completely ridiculous to think that any black NBA player would be upset about Pop calling Trump a racist. Black athletes across all sports and across the country are rejecting invites to the WH after winning titles.

Because they have been told 24/7 by the media for the last 3 years that he is a 'racist monster'-which is not true and absurd- and they lack either the inclination or the capacity to actually think for themselves, so whatever headlines the media screams at them is what they just assume is true.

tholdren
06-18-2018, 04:50 PM

Any nba fan from the lebron era on..

weebo
06-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Leonard is getting paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game--the least you can do is pretend to care about the team, the organization, its fans--I don't get why people would support this type of behavior. It's one thing to ask for a trade (many players have done so), but to hide behind your uncle, scam the organization of its money, not show your face, have your sister speak on your behalf on social media?? Wow, what a chicken shit coward. Why would anyone want admire a guy like that is beyond me....smh

TDfan2007
06-18-2018, 08:41 PM

Agree 100%

Pop speaking his mind really got them worked up :lol

Aside from his "we live in a racist country" comment (there are plenty of racists, but most other countries are far worse, and most Americans aren't overtly racist), most of his comments are about basic human decency and haven't really served to alienate conservatives or Republicans...imo

TDfan2007
06-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Getting back on track, as for the Kawhi/Timmy leadership comparisons, they're pretty unfair to Kawhi, tbh. Timmy was one of the greatest leaders and teammates in sports history. He was always a great teammate, then slowly morphed into a leader. By 2002-2003, the Spurs were his team in every sense, and he really started to embrace that "big brother" role. As many posters here already mentioned, Timmy's emotional intelligence was off the charts, and he's always been a genuinely great guy who cared about his teammates. Kawhi, up to this point, has become a go-to guy on the court, but hasn't shown any signs of being a great teammate or leader.

The only reason why people have made the comparison is because both are quiet gym rats...at least quiet with the media. The similarities end there.

K...
06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Getting back on track, as for the Kawhi/Timmy leadership comparisons, they're pretty unfair to Kawhi, tbh. Timmy was one of the greatest leaders and teammates in sports history. He was always a great teammate, then slowly morphed into a leader. By 2002-2003, the Spurs were his team in every sense, and he really started to embrace that "big brother" role. As many posters here already mentioned, Timmy's emotional intelligence was off the charts, and he's always been a genuinely great guy who cared about his teammates. Kawhi, up to this point, has become a go-to guy on the court, but hasn't shown any signs of being a great teammate or leader.

The only reason why people have made the comparison is because both are quiet gym rats...at least quiet with the media. The similarities end there.

closer to kobe tbqh. which isn't bad. Pop always respected kobe. But kobes do what what kobes do.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2018, 02:47 AM
Leonard is getting bad advice. Even not wanting to be in SA long term, the way this has been handled by him and his side can only raise doubts in the minds of people who can give him a supermax contract.

As for comparison to Duncan, he was the team's best player.

YGWHI
06-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Just for the record, Tim was there with his agent, his wife and a friend.

I wonder how it would have ended if Pop told Tim that "his group" wasn't allowed to the meeting...

I heard something about a plane and his family before...

RD2191
06-19-2018, 11:47 AM

I wonder how it would have ended if Pop told Tim that "his group" wasn't allowed to the meeting...

Go easy on these bums :lol

DPG21920
06-19-2018, 11:57 AM

Luckily for all Tim is not Kawhi nor was his group in control of Tim

YGWHI
06-19-2018, 11:59 AM
There's not a lot of ball movement through him.
Sadly you couldn't see the Kawhi I saw in 2017 playoffs. He was passing the ball and creating for others so well that I thought it would be the next step in his evolution

He does not want to be a leader. Not everyone wants to be the face of the franchise
I doubt he didn't want to be the leader or face of franchise. He waited many years to become "the guy" but with the older leaders still on the locker room who knows if he really felt like this was his team.

Without the supermax, I guess he realized it was time to move on.

YGWHI
06-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Luckily for all Tim is not Kawhi nor was his group in control of Tim

Well, it was Tim's group who convinced him to stay... We were so lucky that a group was in control of our franchise player that time.

K...
06-19-2018, 12:05 PM
It's pretty rare a team leader just passively elevates to leadership, by it's very definition you have to do leading. If he deferred to Parker/, Manu do be it, that's his choice. He hasn't exactly taken Murray or Kyle under his wings. Sounds like he's a Durant. Wants to be the man, but only if it's easy

DPG21920
06-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Well, it was Tim's group who convinced him to stay... We were so lucky that a group was in control of our franchise player that time.

Wrong

tholdren
06-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Sadly you couldn't see the Kawhi I saw in 2017 playoffs. He was passing the ball and creating for others so well that I thought it would be the next step in his evolution

I doubt he didn't want to be the leader or face of franchise. He waited many years to become "the guy" but with the older leaders still on the locker room who knows if he really felt like this was his team.

Without the supermax, I guess he realized it was time to move on.

No he wasnt. Hes the anti creator. Hes carmelo on offense.

dbreiden83080
06-20-2018, 01:36 AM

It was a totally different media cycle in general back then. Twitter didn’t exist people were not reporting on every little constant rumor or story in the sports realm every five minutes. And all Tim did was sit down with them and hear their pitch. He didn’t sit out an entire season basically faking an injury and then demand a trade.

dbreiden83080
06-20-2018, 01:39 AM

1. Tim didn’t leave.

Exactly I don’t understand how some Spurs fans many years later have tried to spin this as some sort of problem or issue they took with Tim. He was a free agent and he explored his options. He handled everything like a man and totally professionally. He didn’t fuck anybody over. And ultimately he stayed put. What Leonard has done this year was and remains complete and total bullshit.