View Full Version : Gay declines player option

SuperCam
06-18-2018, 12:30 PM

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Wow0

MannyIsGod
06-18-2018, 12:31 PM
I think this was expected. Probably best for everyone to have flexibility right now.

SuperCam
06-18-2018, 12:32 PM
D-league green next, tbh

lmbebo
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Not sure what it does for our cap situation right now ....

spurraider21
06-18-2018, 12:34 PM
this is good news. hopefully green follows suit

HarlemHeat37
Really hope he doesn't re-sign with any Spurs cap space:(

cutewizard
Hope he returns

SuperCam
06-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Hope he returns

PATFO preparing to use cap space to re-sign fat head to max contract, tbh

NASpurs
06-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Really hope he doesn't re-sign with any Spurs cap space:(

That cap space is going to Jamal Crawford. :lol

Drewlius
06-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Hopefully we don’t pull a Pau and re-sign him for even more money.

RD2191
Everyone jumping ship. PATFO :lol

daslicer
I could see him going to the Warriors.

spurraider21
06-18-2018, 12:44 PM
:lol "hope he returns"

we had a season where kawhi didnt play and the guy still barely mustered 20 mpg. he's not worth that much money for such a limited role, and he's not good enough to play a much larger role anyway tbh

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Fantastic. SA is still has some level of control but flexilbity is the key right now and I would imagine Danny follow suit. SA is setting up very nicely for flexilbity whether Kawhi is back or not. Especially if Danny opts out.

IF Danny does opt out, SA is simply a Pau trade away from making serious cap space and if Kawhi is moved it might make SA one of the off season leaders in cap space.

JFK
06-18-2018, 12:45 PM
PATFO preparing to use cap space to re-sign fat head to max contract, tbh

I think it doesn't matter at this point. Everything is out the window now and it is time to plan for a rebuild. This team was never and will never contend with building around just LaMarcus.

How ironic now that LaMarcus gets what he wants, which is to be the man night in and night out with nobody stealing his limelight. I'm sure he won't mind putting up numbers and just getting bounced in the early rounds.

The biggest winners in all this, in the end, are the old Spurs that can now come back to get their last payday and end their careers here. Tony, Manu, Danny Green, and now Kyle Anderson. Nobody will want to come here as long as Leonard is not here and we are not contending.

marinoman
06-18-2018, 12:47 PM
It’s part of CIA Pops genius plan to surprise everyone with a LBJ and kawhi signing, next green will opt out and Pau will be traded

Pavlov
06-18-2018, 12:48 PM
His production per minute was actually comparable to all his years before. Can't see his improving much beyond corporate knowledge at this point. Better teammate than I thought he would be. Just don't overpay.

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Fantastic. SA is still has some level of control but flexilbity is the key right now and I would imagine Danny follow suit. SA is setting up very nicely for flexilbity whether Kawhi is back or not. Especially if Danny opts out.

IF Danny does opt out, SA is simply a Pau trade away from making serious cap space and if Kawhi is moved it might make SA one of the off season leaders in cap space.

I'm sure the top FAs will be lining up to join the Spurs:lol

Spurs da champs
06-18-2018, 12:50 PM

Lmao

TimDunkem
06-18-2018, 12:50 PM

:lmao No shit.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 12:51 PM

You’re smarter than this. It’s not about just free agents. It’s about flexilbity. What if SA can get another top 20 pick for taking on Faried from DEN for one year knowing free agents won’t want SA next season anyways?

Then you have all that cap space again with whatever haul you can get. I remember people saying LMA would never consider SA :lol

JFK
06-18-2018, 12:55 PM
You’re smarter than this. It’s not about just free agents. It’s about flexilbity. What if SA can get another top 20 pick for taking on Faried from DEN for one year knowing free agents won’t want SA next season anyways?

Then you have all that cap space again with whatever haul you can get. I remember people saying LMA would never consider SA :lol

It can possibly work that way.

You are correct RE: LMA. You can never discount the Spurs as long as Popovich is here.

This could also work out another way too like when they had space and money to get either Jermaine O'Neal or Jason Kidd and in the end got neither. These are uncharted waters and times for this organization.

ducks
06-18-2018, 12:56 PM
what do you think gay should be paid

spurraider21
06-18-2018, 12:58 PM
LMA joined san antonio at a time where we not only had a max slot available (through splitter trade), but were one of the top teams in the NBA with a talented roster, an up and coming star in kawhi who was not seen as a lillard-like attention hog, and an aging tim duncan who would be a great partner to LMA in the paint. a lot of stars aligned on that one. and aldridge is a guy from texas which probably helped him look past the issue that plagues our general attractiveness to other teams

SupremeGuy
06-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Everyone jumping ship. PATFO :lolThat's what it feels like, my dog. At least I got to live through our Golden Years.

Chinook
06-18-2018, 01:02 PM
LMA joined san antonio at a time where we not only had a max slot available (through splitter trade), but were one of the top teams in the NBA with a talented roster, an up and coming star in kawhi who was not seen as a lillard-like attention hog, and an aging tim duncan who would be a great partner to LMA in the paint. a lot of stars aligned on that one. and aldridge is a guy from texas which probably helped him look past the issue that plagues our general attractiveness to other teams

Yeah, SA was deservedly the favorite going into free agency to anyone who wasn't biased toward LA. If anything it was a failure that it took a second meeting to distinguish them for the fucking Suns.

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2018, 01:03 PM

:lol I was just fucking with you, I know what you meant about flexibility..

Realistically, though, they won't get any notable FAs..Aldridge was the only marquee name that they ever acquired and he asked for a trade less than 2 years later..the current situation is nowhere near as attractive as it was at that time..whether you agree with Kawhi's actions or not, this entire situation has undoubtedly hurt the reputation of the Spurs franchise to an extent(simply by questioning their actions, which is something nobody would have done in the past)

The Spurs only chance at a relevant future will be acquiring high-level young talent(Tatum, Fultz, etc) or high lottery picks for Kawhi..they MUST play this trade correctly, they can't afford to take a trash deal..this team isn't going to bottom out while Pop and Aldridge are still here, this will be their only shot at franchise-level potential..

RD2191
06-18-2018, 01:04 PM
That's what it feels like, my dog. At least I got to live through our Golden Years.

Sucks bruh. Spurs should just blow it up and go for the full rebuild tbh

Mugen
06-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Great news.

Spurtacular
06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Probably wants to David West it for a ring.

SpursDynasty85
06-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Gay was even more likely to decline with the Kawhi news. More leverage to seek more and longer.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 01:20 PM
It can possibly work that way.

You are correct RE: LMA. You can never discount the Spurs as long as Popovich is here.

This could also work out another way too like when they had space and money to get either Jermaine O'Neal or Jason Kidd and in the end got neither. These are uncharted waters and times for this organization.

Spurs rarely had equal money. The point is having flexilbity allows you to do a lot. If you are a team that doesn’t attract free agents and you rely on the draft, then it stands to reason you should get as many shots in the draft as possible which space allows you to do.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Also, if this is Danny’s last moments with SA hat’s off to one of the best role players we have ever had. Love Danny and I understand if it’s time for him to move on and honestly it’s probably best for both if Danny does move on if Kawhi is indeed traded.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 01:25 PM
:lol I was just fucking with you, I know what you meant about flexibility..

Realistically, though, they won't get any notable FAs..Aldridge was the only marquee name that they ever acquired and he asked for a trade less than 2 years later..the current situation is nowhere near as attractive as it was at that time..whether you agree with Kawhi's actions or not, this entire situation has undoubtedly hurt the reputation of the Spurs franchise to an extent(simply by questioning their actions, which is something nobody would have done in the past)

The Spurs only chance at a relevant future will be acquiring high-level young talent(Tatum, Fultz, etc) or high lottery picks for Kawhi..they MUST play this trade correctly, they can't afford to take a trash deal..this team isn't going to bottom out while Pop and Aldridge are still here, this will be their only shot at franchise-level potential..

If SA does well in a Kawhi deal, gets young talent or picks and nail them, having the cap space will be attractive like a PHI if it looks like a great young core.

It’s all relative and having flexiblity is like Gold even if it can’t be used yet for big time free agents. If they are likely to build through the draft anyway like nearly all good sustainable teams, free agency is used to fine tune and not about landing stars since that opportunity is few and far between normally.

Gordy58
06-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Spurs gonna resign him to a long deal worth 12 mil tbh a year

Russ
06-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Great news.

Just as long as Joffrey opts out I'm okay with it . . .

BillMc
06-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Hope this isnt' a 2013 Mavs situation where they have tons of cap space and no on will sign with them. Always thought Cubes did Dirk wrong by breaking up the '11 team to pursue free agents who would never sign.

baseline bum
Also, if this is Danny’s last moments with SA hat’s off to one of the best role players we have ever had. Love Danny and I understand if it’s time for him to move on and honestly it’s probably best for both if Danny does move on if Kawhi is indeed traded.

:bobo

Gordy58
Just need Danny to opt out and sign elsewhere pleaseeee

sasaint
06-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Just as long as Joffrey opts out I'm okay with it . . .

Not a chance. We stuck with him.

Namundy
06-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Yeah, SA was deservedly the favorite going into free agency to anyone who wasn't biased toward LA. If anything it was a failure that it took a second meeting to distinguish them for the fucking Suns.

:lmao

Namundy
06-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Danny Green should have his goddamn jersey in the rafters.

Mugen
06-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Danny Green should have his goddamn jersey in the rafters.

:lol He probably will, the bar is low tbh

NASpurs
06-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Not a chance. We stuck with him.

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Spurs-target-Villanova-s-Spellman-others-for-12994749.php

"On the Joffrey Lauvergne front, the belief is he will not opt into his $1.6 million player option, while more lucrative offers he'll consider to play overseas. If Lauvergne doesn't return, it leaves LaMarcus Aldridge and Davis Bertans, who is considered stretch-four, as the other big men on the roster."

RD2191
06-18-2018, 01:54 PM
:lol He probably will, the bar is low tbh

:lmao

Poolboy5623
06-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Not sure why he’d come back to this mess?!

spurraider21
06-18-2018, 01:56 PM
we should want Danny to move on regardless of whether or not kawhi comes back imo. if he's not shooting reliably north of 40%, we have no room for him tbh

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Hope this isnt' a 2013 Mavs situation where they have tons of cap space and no on will sign with them. Always thought Cubes did Dirk wrong by breaking up the '11 team to pursue free agents who would never sign.

SA isn’t that. They are still respected and draft well and should have good assets. SA didn’t do anything wrong; Dallas did by burning the players that won them a title. SA has been loyal.

cool cat
06-18-2018, 01:58 PM
This was completely expected.

He was only going to opt-in if he got injured again and knew he wasn't going to get another contract. The guy played well and can cash in with a bigger contract from someone else or get a longer deal with the Spurs. It's good for the Spurs too if they want to go full rebuild mode they don't have his contract on the books.

BackHome
06-18-2018, 01:59 PM

And who the hell you getting cap space for just curious what players do u think we can actually signs?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2018, 02:12 PM

He was only going to opt-in if he got injured again and knew he wasn't going to get another contract. The guy played well and can cash in with a bigger contract from someone else or get a longer deal with the Spurs. It's good for the Spurs too if they want to go full rebuild mode they don't have his contract on the books.

It also reiterates to players around the league the Spurs will take care of them and help their game.

gambit1990
06-18-2018, 02:18 PM
joffrey declines, gay declines :tu

hopefully green declines and the spurs decline tony.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 02:21 PM
And who the hell you getting cap space for just curious what players do u think we can actually signs?

What if I said you don’t get any player, but you trade for Faried (one year left on his deal) and you get a top 20 pick for that. Then you get the cap space again next year as you build and other free agents become available?

BillMc
06-18-2018, 02:21 PM
SA isn’t that. They are still respected and draft well and should have good assets. SA didn’t do anything wrong; Dallas did by burning the players that won them a title. SA has been loyal.

I don't know this whole Kawhi thing has (unfairly) hurt their rep.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 02:22 PM
joffrey declines, gay declines :tu

hopefully green declines and the spurs decline tony.

Where did you see news of Joff actually declining?

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 02:23 PM

I think Kawhi’s rep is the one taking the hit. look at the relationships sa has throughout the league with agents/players/coaches.

Chinook
06-18-2018, 02:26 PM

I think it has. Simmons wanting out. Dedmon leaving. LMA asking for a trade. Lee saying the camaraderie wasn't very strong. There have been signs for a while. I don't think the Spurs are too hurt through official channels, but within player-to-player networks, I think they're losing face. Murray's their best hope of getting something going at this point.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 02:30 PM
I think it has. Simmons wanting out. Dedmon leaving. LMA asking for a trade. Lee saying the camaraderie wasn't very strong. There have been signs for a while. I don't think the Spurs are too hurt through official channels, but within player-to-player networks, I think they're losing face. Murray's their best hope of getting something going at this point.

Simmons and Dedmon are showboat not that good of players. They have no power or sway.

LMA asked for a trade but then signed a deal. So nothing to that. People, even ex-players are still usually pretty glowing and even urging Bron to choose SA.

They are good IMO.

gambit1990
06-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Where did you see news of Joff actually declining?
oh, i thought it was official. i guess it's not yet.

cd98
06-18-2018, 02:48 PM
oh, i thought it was official. i guess it's not yet.

I think it's assumed he will decline because he isn't paid that much, doesn't play much, and can get more money and playing time in Europe.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 03:06 PM
I think it's assumed he will decline because he isn't paid that much, doesn't play much, and can get more money and playing time in Europe.

Well he may be looking at more playing time now depending on how things go :lol

r0drig0lac
06-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Brazil
06-18-2018, 03:08 PM
great news... we have to make room to sign dat new Tony contract tbh

Mugen
06-18-2018, 03:18 PM

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb7jhjeGtI1qhhxd4o1_250.gif

tmtcsc
06-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Oh for fuck's sake. Don't even joke about that.

Brazil
06-18-2018, 03:22 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb7jhjeGtI1qhhxd4o1_250.gif

Oh for fuck's sake. Don't even joke about that.

:lol

LkrFan
06-18-2018, 03:29 PM

DeRozan m8
06-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Why wouldn't he, never got the minutes he deserved, shouldn't come back

DeRozan m8
06-18-2018, 03:31 PM

You haven't made the playoffs in 5 years...clinging to bron rumours even though it goes against everything Laker fans stand for....just to be competitive again

Sell those morals out because your team drafts garbage

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Some math for Spurs fans on potential cap space scenarios (assuming that is what SA was aiming for - which is unknown. I personally think they will try to stay a playoff team):

With Rudy declining his player option and assuming Danny and Joff do as well:

If SA renounces all free agents/cap holds except for Bertans, waives BP3 while also deferring Milutinov then SA would have 16M in cap space. This would be very easy as SA would control their destiny in this scenario completely since it would be the players declining options and SA can do the renouncing with no other work.

If you remove Bertans cap hold as well, you go to 16.9M.

If you trade just Pau and take back no salary, you go to 32M.

If you trade just Mills and take back no salary, you go to 26M.

If you trade Mills, waive and stretch Pau, you go to 39M.

If you do nothing but the first part of this to get to 16M in cap space, but trade Kawhi for less money than he makes, you get all of that in cap space. So for example with not needing any other trades other than Kawhi to let’s say PHI for Fultz, Saric & #10, Sa would go from 16M in space to 23M.

So lots of ways, starting with Rudy and then Danny/Joff as well declining their options where SA can immediately have at least 16M in cap space all the way up to 50M depending on Mills/Pau/Kawhi trades/stretching

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 03:32 PM

They haven’t been lining up for LA either my friend :lmao.

cd98
06-18-2018, 03:40 PM

After getting rejected by Dwight Howard, you'd think LA fans would be over themselves.

Mugen
06-18-2018, 03:43 PM
:lol Fuck, RC is going to give Fathead 10mil a year isn't he?

shaq_h8ter
06-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Spurs rarely had equal money. The point is having flexilbity allows you to do a lot. If you are a team that doesn’t attract free agents and you rely on the draft, then it stands to reason you should get as many shots in the draft as possible which space allows you to do.

100% Agree
That and DG was looking pretty gimpy near the end.

TimDunkem
06-18-2018, 03:45 PM

This is turning out to be the Summer of Fathead. :lol

MoSpur02
06-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Trade Gasol and Mills. Sign Boogie and Aaron Gordon and LeBron.

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 03:50 PM

If it’s a one-year deal who cares. Pay someone 20M if you have the space but don’t commit more than one year unless you believe they are a foundational piece as you are building the best team you can.

Mugen
06-18-2018, 03:52 PM
If it’s a one-year deal who cares. Pay someone 20M if you have the space but don’t commit more than one year unless you believe they are a foundational piece as you are building the best team you can.

Deeps, you know Fathead isn't getting signed to a 1 year :lol

DPG21920
06-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Deeps, you know Fathead isn't getting signed to a 1 year :lol

I can see him taking a big one year deal for sure. Especially if it’s a gutted team with no expectations - he gets a big annual year, shows his stuff with more PT and can sign a longer deal next off season.

raybies
06-18-2018, 04:23 PM
This is turning out to be the Summer of Fathead. :lol
In b4 12:01 happens again

NASpurs
06-18-2018, 04:24 PM

:lol I hate you. Only because it's happened once, it'll happen again and the possibility seems too real.

BillMc
06-18-2018, 04:30 PM

David West grumbled about his time here too.

BillMc
06-18-2018, 04:32 PM

If its a one year loyalty "thank you Tony" contract and we have nothing else to spend it on, I have no problem with that actually. The Kawhi thing has shown me how really valuable Tim, Tony and Manu were to this organization beyond just on the court play. Let 'em get paid.

K...
06-18-2018, 04:33 PM

He's not A free agent though, the last news was that they tendered the qo and I think he could accept it, but will probably test the market.

Now Parker otoh

raybies
06-18-2018, 04:33 PM
:lol I hate you. Only because it's happened once, it'll happen again and the possibility seems too real.
It’s gonna happen... they gon do it for da culture

raybies
06-18-2018, 04:35 PM
He's not A free agent though, the last news was that they tendered the qo and I think he could accept it, but will probably test the market.

Now Parker otoh
Well... somebody from the Spurs is gonna be twelve-oh-oned

tholdren
06-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Someone with a brain on spurstalk. Refreshing

K...
06-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Well... somebody from the Spurs is gonna be twelve-oh-oned

Leeeebbrrrrrrroooooonnnn

LkrFan
06-18-2018, 04:53 PM

It still hurts :cry

DaBears
06-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Until PAFTO really muck things up with this roster, i believe we should Give R.C. & POP the benefit of the doubt here, as to how they are going to make this is best team possible and put a truly competitive product on the court.

BSfromTX
06-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Until PAFTO really muck things up with this roster, i believe we should Give R.C. & POP the benefit of the doubt here, as to how they are going to make this is best team possible and put a truly competitive product on the court.

Likewise.

Whatever happens will most likely NOT be anything suggested in here or anywhere else either

cjw
06-18-2018, 05:57 PM
If its a one year loyalty "thank you Tony" contract and we have nothing else to spend it on, I have no problem with that actually. The Kawhi thing has shown me how really valuable Tim, Tony and Manu were to this organization beyond just on the court play. Let 'em get paid.

I don’t agree if they’re operating under the cap. Operating under the cap gives, as some have pointed out, an opportunity to take on salary other teams want to dump and get some draft pick compensation back. An infusion of youth is desperately needed and I’d rather use cap space this way unless trying to contend.

Very different than the Manu “thank you” contract when the Spurs were over the cap anyway in the summer of 2016.

Spur|n|Austin
06-18-2018, 06:34 PM

We shall see, trying to stay positive as well especially since nothing has been official by any means, all rumors. That being said, where there's smoke....

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Doncic is our Saviour.....now and forever.....

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Amen lol

Atl Spur
06-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Likewise.

Whatever happens will most likely NOT be anything suggested in here or anywhere else either

This. I totally agree with you. I actually think something is up

phxspurfan
06-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Good luck to him. I think SA can do better/younger if in rebuild mode.

J_Paco
06-18-2018, 10:02 PM
https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Spurs-target-Villanova-s-Spellman-others-for-12994749.php

"On the Joffrey Lauvergne front, the belief is he will not opt into his $1.6 million player option, while more lucrative offers he'll consider to play overseas. If Lauvergne doesn't return, it leaves LaMarcus Aldridge and Davis Bertans, who is considered stretch-four, as the other big men on the roster."

This is the best news all Spring! Now, the team can either draft a prospect with more upside, sign Nikola or find a better diamond in the rough.

Joffrey sucked donkey dicks, TBH.

Hopefully they can find a suitor for Pau's contract too.

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 10:23 PM
:lma

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 10:24 PM
May the Spurs rebuild!!!!!

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 10:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2VLO6AaiUo

cutewizard
06-18-2018, 10:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0CQIlDPsU

TheGreatYacht
06-19-2018, 01:09 AM
Let's pray to Buddha that Fathead gets none of that money....

ace3g
06-20-2018, 06:49 PM

bklynspursfan
06-20-2018, 06:51 PM

ace3g
06-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Mugen
06-20-2018, 06:53 PM
:lol Who's rushing to their local Big 5 to pick up a new pair of Gay Pumas?

Mr. Body
06-20-2018, 07:45 PM
This year could have been so cool if Kawhi hadn't been such a bitch.

ace3g
06-20-2018, 10:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgLvgZPWkAAFDQR.jpg:large

sasaint
06-20-2018, 10:59 PM
When he signed here didn't Rudy proclaim that he was "a Spur for life" or some such?

DJR210
06-20-2018, 11:00 PM
:lol further proof that San Antonio is holding players back from signing endorsement deals:

Rudy Gay signs endorsement deal with Puma 2 days after opting out :lol

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/puma-rudy-gay-nba-signing-sneaker-deal-clyde-court-video/

Dverde
06-20-2018, 11:01 PM
The kids are all scrambling to get the new Gays!

dbestpro
06-20-2018, 11:04 PM
The Gay Puma will be hot sellers in Warrior land.

r0drig0lac
06-21-2018, 05:20 AM
:lol further proof that San Antonio is holding players back from signing endorsement deals:

Rudy Gay signs endorsement deal with Puma 2 days after opting out :lol

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/puma-rudy-gay-nba-signing-sneaker-deal-clyde-court-video/

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

SAGirl
06-22-2018, 01:58 PM
I expected this, but thanks for sharing. I think the Spurs will still have interest in re-signing him but it's up to Rudy right now and the market.

SAGirl
06-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Danny rumored to opt in...

Spurs da champs
06-22-2018, 02:00 PM
:lol Who's rushing to their local Big 5 to pick up a new pair of Gay Pumas?

DPG21920
06-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Danny rumored to opt in...

I’m mildly surprised. Danny is loyal to SA though so I’m happy with contract year Danny or great trade piece Danny. I guess he probably thought he could get full MLE next year too so why opt out now and not take the 10M

SAGirl
06-22-2018, 02:52 PM
I’m mildly surprised. Danny is loyal to SA though so I’m happy with contract year Danny or great trade piece Danny. I guess he probably thought he could get full MLE next year too so why opt out now and not take the 10M
I thought he was really going to test the market because he was looking for a multi-year deal. I also thought he'd want to have control of his career this summer since the rumors of trades around his name have been swirling for a couple of seasons now. But, bottom line, it seems he got word from his agent he's likely not getting $10 mill a season again and he can't afford to let this check go.

I was out of the loop for about a month or so, so I am not otherwise well informed. Does it look to you like standing pat again? The news coming out from the Kawhi-gate don't look good either right?

DPG21920
06-22-2018, 03:03 PM
I don’t think it was that. More that even if he’s traded it’s just one year so no big deal. If he opted out this year and signed full MLE it would be 40M. He can get that next year too most likely so he’s getting 5 years 50M by opting in essentially

BackHome
06-22-2018, 05:27 PM
You only opt out if your a good player

ace3g
06-22-2018, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MJp09j5vs

tholdren
06-22-2018, 07:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MJp09j5vs

Is that the monopoly iron on his necklace?

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2018, 11:35 AM
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him resigned.

SpursDynasty85
06-26-2018, 10:23 AM
What do you guys think?

I think he should the Spurs #1 target outside of this Kawhi fiasco. If so what price? 2 or 3 years at $12M sounds fair.

cd98
06-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Spurs should have some money once they trade Kawhi for peanuts.

cutewizard
06-27-2018, 10:20 AM

8FOR!3
06-27-2018, 10:49 AM
I'd be cool with a short cheap deal, I like Rudy Gay but I don't know if he's worth what his market value might be. AKA he's definitely a good piece to have but I wouldn't consider him one of the main few pieces. Dude's a pro's pro though I'd like to see him back in a Spurs jersey and hopefully in a bit bigger role..I know this post is a bit all over the place..

stu scotts eye
06-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Still pissed we didn't get more run with Gay as a starter, during last year's regular season. No excuse when Pop knew it may be needed

duncan2k5
06-27-2018, 11:44 AM
I want gay back on the team, but no way he resigns to be on the vench behind fathead