PDA

View Full Version : Kori - Rumour: Tariq Abdul Wahad coming to the Spurs??

Quasar
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm currently in France at my company's HQ and a colleague told me that it's almost certain that Tariq Abdul Wahad is gonna sign with the Spurs very soon...

I told him that's not possible as the Spurs are already over the cap and are not likely to spend much but he replied that it's only for a 10-day trial.

I haven't been following TAW but according to my colleague he's been 'injured' for a long time because the Mavs don't wanna play him.

The guy said he'll send me some sources soon...

I thought it was a hoax until I read today's report of Spurs vs NO and saw that PJ Carlesimo took over because POP WENT TO DALLAS!!

Coincidence?

Kori, Have you heard anything like that or can I tell him to shut up? :D

samikeyp
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Please God, No.

Marcus Bryant
10-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Um, is TAW still under contract with the Mavs? If so, maybe the Mavs decided that getting a serviceable center for nothing might not be a bad idea.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Interesting. He used to be a pretty good defender. If he can still defend well, he's actually a guy I wouldn't mind having on the bench.

nkdlunch
10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm currently in France at my company's HQ and a colleague told me that it's almost certain that Tariq Abdul Wahad is gonna sign with the Spurs very soon...

I told him that's not possible as the Spurs are already over the cap and are not likely to spend much but he replied that it's only for a 10-day trial.

I haven't been following TAW but according to my colleague he's been 'injured' for a long time because the Mavs don't wanna play him.

The guy said he'll send me some sources soon...

I thought it was a hoax until I read today's report of Spurs vs NO and saw that PJ Carlesimo took over because POP WENT TO DALLAS!!

Coincidence?

Kori, Have you heard anything like that or can I tell him to shut up? :D

you work with Clandestino?

Marcus Bryant
10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Guys, if this is for real, it means the Spurs found a taker for Radoslav's contract....or that Nellie invited Pop over for dinner.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
NBA.com says he is. I guess that settles that.

Marcus Bryant
10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
The plot thickens.

timvp
10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Guys, if this is for real, it means the Spurs found a taker for Radoslav's contract....or that Nellie invited Pop over for dinner.

:tu

If TAW is coming to the Spurs, that means Rasho is going to Dallas. But I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Kori Ellis
10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
This summer the Spurs tried to trade Rasho for him. But I haven't heard any Tariq news lately.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2005, 04:05 PM
:lol

There was a report that Pop was denying shopping Rasho earlier this week. You know what that means, Rasho is gone.

SWC Bonfire
10-21-2005, 04:06 PM
The sound you just heard was Angel_luv's heart breaking...

MiNuS
10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
No wonder Nellie was in the VI!!!

He was scouting! Bastard!

Fly Rasho,fly with the Mavs.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Guys, if this is for real, it means the Spurs found a taker for Radoslav's contract....or that Nellie invited Pop over for dinner.Or the Mavs are just waiving him and the Spurs want to work him out.
And before anybody asks, Tariq Abdul-Wahad will be a former Maverick by the end of the month, too. Owner Mark Cuban, irked by Abdul-Wahad’s unwillingness to play ball on a buyout situation, will wait until the last minute before waiving the swingman who hasn’t played since 2002-03.http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/mavs/stories/100505dnspomavsletter.c013ad67.html

I'll believe anything at this point.

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
The Spurs would trade Rasho for a guy who hasn't seen the court in two years?

Quasar
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
I got the link, but it doesn't say much... and it ends with a question mark.

They didn't reveal their sources but sports.fr is usually quite a reliable site as it's analogous to espn.com for the english speaking countries.

http://www.sports.fr/fr/cmc/scanner/basket/200542/news_77764.html

Essentially, it says that they tried to trade rasho for TAW but that the deal fell through. However, since he's gonna be waived soon, that the spurs are thinking of trying him out.

Dunno where all the other stuff he told me came from though (about 10 day contract etc...). I asked him for more info :)

Considering it's Holt's money that the spurs are spending, it probably means good bye to one or two out of Sanders, Ford and Graham...

timvp
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
The Spurs would trade Rasho for a guy who hasn't seen the court in two years?

The Spurs would trade Rasho for any human who matches his salary cap number.

MiNuS
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Spurminator
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM

I just had a thought... Why doesn't some NBA team sign me for one year at whatever Rasho is scheduled to make, then trade me to the Spurs for Rasho?

Everybody wins!

Mixability
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM

Human?!?!? I'd trade Rasho for the dog "Air Bud"! :lol

SWC Bonfire
10-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I just had a thought... Why doesn't some NBA team sign me for one year at whatever Rasho is scheduled to make, then trade me to the Spurs for Rasho?

Everybody wins!

ChumpDumper
10-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Unless we threw in Beno or someone else, Holt would actually pay more tax this season after such a trade. It does cut off two years total, however.

timvp
10-21-2005, 04:29 PM

Everybody wins!

Hey now. Let's be realistic.

The Spurs would have to add a draft pick to make that trade fair.

:smokin

timvp
10-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Unless we threw in Beno or someone else, Holt would actually pay more tax this season after such a trade. It does cut off two years total, however.

Supposedly TAW has a buyout built into his contract that is about 50% of the value.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Supposedly TAW has a buyout built into his contract that is about 50% of the value.You think it would've happened by now. The link from Sefko mentions that TAW hasn't responded to any buyout requests -- but anything is possible. I figure they should've been able to file for a medical retirement by now.

Bruno
10-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Supposedly TAW has a buyout built into his contract that is about 50% of the value.
I've heard it's 50% for 05-06 and 25% for 06-07

MiNuS
10-21-2005, 04:35 PM
If this happens Holt & Co. are going for complete domination of the "totally retarded"
NBA.

FromWayDowntown
10-21-2005, 04:41 PM
It makes sense to me, if TAW is waived, to sign him, give him the 14th spot on the roster for the minimum, and see what he's got. At worst, you cashier him in midseason ala Ron Mercer; at best, you've found another wing who can defend and who might actually be able to offer a serviceable offensive game -- plus a guy who comes in with something to prove (ala Glenn Robinson).

If TAW remembers to bring Olivier Saint-Jean with him, things might be quite nice.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Unless other players are involved (meaning Dallas sends out more players than they take back), I don't see a trade happening. I'm assuming they want to keep these guys:

Darrell Armstrong
Doug Christie
Erick Dampier
Marquis Daniels
DeSagana Diop
Devin Harris
Josh Howard
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
Rawle Marshall
Dirk Nowitzki
Pavel Podkolzin
Josh Powell
Jerry Stackhouse
Jason Terry
Keith Van Horn

Who would they waive for another center?

Quasar
10-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Unless other players are involved (meaning Dallas sends out more players than they take back), I don't see a trade happening.

They won't be trading rasho for TAW, that initial deal fell through.

They just wanna give him a try after he's waived :D

Not stupid...

The story in France is that supposedly, he's always wanted to play and wasn't really injured; and that it's the Mavs that didn't want to play him.

usckk
10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
According to the Express-News, "Popovich didn't accompany the team to Bossier City after it practiced Wednesday in Indianapolis. Instead, he flew to Dallas to help honor one of his basketball mentors, Don Nelson. Nelson coached the Milwaukee Bucks, Golden State Warriors, New York Knicks and Dallas Mavericks"

ChumpDumper
10-21-2005, 04:59 PM
They won't be trading rasho for TAW, that initial deal fell through.

They just wanna give him a try after he's waived :D

Not stupid...

The story in France is that supposedly, he's always wanted to play and wasn't really injured; and that it's the Mavs that didn't want to play him.Right.

I believe that; just explaining why a trade probably wouldn't happen.

Obstructed_View
10-21-2005, 05:00 PM
The story in France is that supposedly, he's always wanted to play and wasn't really injured; and that it's the Mavs that didn't want to play him.

Mark Cuban only likes the muslims that blow shit up.

angel_luv
10-21-2005, 05:02 PM
You guys are awful... just awful.

Rasho is not going anywhere... we're having lunch on Monday. ; )

Bruno
10-21-2005, 05:06 PM

TAW said in his website that Dallas said he was injured (insurance will pay his salary) but he has passed physicals to proove that he is healthy.

samikeyp
10-21-2005, 05:06 PM

excellent...tell him to hook me up with a jersey so I don't have to spend money on one! :)

FromWayDowntown
10-21-2005, 05:08 PM
excellent...tell him to hook me up with a jersey so I don't have to spend money on one! :)

Do you want that to be a Knicks home jersey or an away jersey, mikey?

angel_luv
10-21-2005, 05:15 PM

That's more of a second date kind of discussion, so I guess you had better be rooting for me. = )

samikeyp
10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Go Angel Go! :spin

Solid D
10-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Since TAW has been "injured" and on the shelf for several years...dude would have serious non-game. You know that easychairitis is a difficult injury to recover from.

:smokin

hussker
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Human?!?!? I'd trade Rasho for the dog "Air Bud"! :lol

ANGEL: Come on now, Air Bud is a COOL dog!

tekdragon
10-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Do you want that to be a Knicks home jersey or an away jersey, mikey?

:lmao

angel_luv
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
ANGEL: Come on now, Air Bud is a COOL dog!

Glad you like him cause now you are in the dog house too!

SequSpur
10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Tariq Abdul Wahad Sucks.

ducks
10-21-2005, 07:31 PM
does he suck worse then rasho though according to you

SpursIndonesia
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Mark Cuban only likes the muslims that blow shit up.
And what's that line supposed to mean ? :rolleyes

samikeyp
10-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Do you want that to be a Knicks home jersey or an away jersey, mikey

:lmao Ouch!

loveforthegame
10-21-2005, 10:51 PM
TAW said in his website that Dallas said he was injured (insurance will pay his salary) but he has passed physicals to proove that he is healthy.

You're right. You can visit dallas-mavs.com (do a search) to read the articles about his bitter situation with Dallas. If memory serves correctly it was last summer that Cuban asked the NBA for help in resolving the issue. Team doctors said he couldn't play and TAW refused a buyout. The Mavs were looking for a medical exception. The NBA provided doctors and they said he could play.

I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank but I always believed he could still play and it was Cuban who was forcing him out. They told him last summer not to even bother reporting to camp. He wouldn't be suiting up for the Mavs ever again.

milkyway21
10-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Tariq Abdul Wahad Sucks.:lol

Human?!?!? I'd trade Rasho for the dog "Air Bud"! that statement is not human grrrr :cuss

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Who would they waive for another center?

They miss Shawn Bradley?

ShoogarBear
10-21-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank but I always believed he could still play and it was Cuban who was forcing him out. They told him last summer not to even bother reporting to camp. He wouldn't be suiting up for the Mavs ever again.

I don't know if he'd help win a championship, but if the Spurs got TAW we'd sure have some must-see Mavs games!

herbivore female
10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
You guys are awful... just awful.

this rasho thing is starting to get really wierd. you do know your never going to get him right. wake up to real life and go out with batman = )

Mr. Body
10-22-2005, 01:25 AM
We're concerned about a player who hasn't seen the court since 2002?

Obstructed_View
10-22-2005, 04:21 AM
And what's that line supposed to mean ? :rolleyes

http://frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=19845

AFE7FATMAN
10-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Interesting. He used to be a pretty good defender. If he can still defend well, he's actually a guy I wouldn't mind having on the bench.

and if RASHO-GOES or if this is part of a trade I would be happy/
estatic depending on THE REST OF THE STORY :lol

AFE7FATMAN
10-22-2005, 05:27 AM
No wonder Nellie was in the VI!!!

He was scouting! Bastard!

Fly Rasho,fly with the Mavs.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

AFE7FATMAN
10-22-2005, 05:31 AM
does he suck worse then rasho though according to you :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ploto
10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Rasho is not going anywhere. It is just talk about the Spurs trying TAW out after he is waived. TAW would love to sock it to the Mavs.

Bruno
10-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Rasho is not going anywhere. It is just talk about the Spurs trying TAW out after he is waived. TAW would love to sock it to the Mavs.

Yes, but I don't see the reason why Spurs would sign TAW to a min contract instead of Sanders.
He is old, sucks and I'm quite sure TP and him don't like each other.
The only way, I see TAW with Spurs is a trade with Rasho to save money (TAW contract is partially guaranteed).

ploto
10-22-2005, 10:14 AM
^Mark Cuban is in cost-cutting mode. Won't happen.

Bruno
10-22-2005, 11:06 AM
^Mark Cuban is in cost-cutting mode. Won't happen.

Agree, this rumor is strange.

Kori Ellis
10-22-2005, 11:35 AM
I didn't read this whole thread. So what's the rumor .. that the Mavs are cutting TAW and the Spurs are picking him up? Or that there's some trade in the works?

Marcus Bryant
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I didn't read this whole thread. So what's the rumor .. that the Mavs are cutting TAW and the Spurs are picking him up? Or that there's some trade in the works?

Both possibilities have been speculated on, but nobody knows for sure.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2005, 11:46 AM
The supposed word from France is he's being waived and the Spurs may work him out.

But nothing substantiated.

I blame Chirac.

Bruno
10-22-2005, 12:01 PM
I blame Chirac.

How can you blame a deaf and blind man ?

sa_butta
10-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I say keep Rasho, I think Oberto will play more 4 than 5 position. I have a problem with this trade.Too many guards and not enough big men. Don’t forget the Eastern Conference big men…the Wallace brothers and Shaq!!!

clubalien
10-22-2005, 12:49 PM
dallas mavs playing for the spurs?
man all we need now is to get rid of tony and get nash :D

grjr
10-22-2005, 02:05 PM
dallas mavs playing for the spurs?
man all we need now is to get rid of tony and get nash :D

Would he then pass the ball to Manu?

ducks
10-22-2005, 03:15 PM
yes no one passes the ball to manu he never scores anypoints

Mavs<Spurs
10-22-2005, 04:30 PM
How can you blame a deaf and blind man ?

You forgot dumb.

Everyone remember this: a Tx congressman walked up to a French person and asked him if he spoke German, the French person said no and the Tx congressperson said you are welcome.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-22-2005, 04:43 PM
This has mean laughing because a few weeks ago in a thread about this Spurs season slogan I suggested, "Any more Mavericks want in on this?"

I think the Spurs should go back and grab Shawn Bradley, Rolando Blackman, and any other retired Mavs who missed out on ring just to give them a chance.

Pandaemonaeon
10-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Tariq Abdul Wahad Sucks.

Charley Rosen on TAW (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4932528)

Tariq Abdul-Wahad is a streaky shooter, a slasher, an aggressive scorer in the low post and a springy rebounder. He's also the best defender on the squad. He needs to play. Christie needs to sit.

Bruno
10-29-2005, 07:34 AM
TAW has been waived.
Some french websites say today that he could play with Spurs soon.
I don't know if they have any clue of this but we'll see.

usckk
10-29-2005, 07:40 AM
TAW has been waived.
Some french websites say today that he could play with Spurs soon.
I don't know if they have any clue of this but we'll see.
If he's waived, Rasho can't be traded to the maves.

Bruno
10-29-2005, 07:42 AM
If he's waived, Rasho can't be traded to the maves.

He could sign to a min contract when he 'll clear waivers.

usckk
10-29-2005, 07:43 AM
He could sign to a min contract when he 'll clear waivers.

I doubt it. If the Spurs were cheap-enough to not sign Marvin Sanders and Ford, they aren't spending crap on TAW.

Bruno
10-29-2005, 07:45 AM
I doubt it. If the Spurs were cheap-enough to not sign Marvin Sanders and Ford, they aren't spending crap on TAW.

I doubt it too, I just report what I read on french websites.

usckk
10-29-2005, 07:46 AM

OH, I know. I was just mad at Peter Holt. NOt you.

batman2883
10-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Finally please lord let this be true a Rasho for TAW trade??? damn at this point i would trade Rasho for that stupid guy that comes in the HEB commercials with Tim Duncan

wildbill2u
10-29-2005, 10:00 AM

Where in the world would French websites be getting realiable inside information on the NBA? This sounds like an oxymoron. :elephant

genghisrex
10-29-2005, 10:06 AM
It's an assumption, not a fact, that the Spurs waived Sanders and Ford because of money. I don't think it's farfetched to believe that ability may also have come into play and while both guys showed potential neither was overly impressive or consistent. It's still entirely possible that the Spurs sign another player now or later in the season, be it TAW or someone else.

boutons
10-29-2005, 10:13 AM
With all of the Championship rotation back, even Michael and Nick are marginal additions. What would that make TAW?

Really, the Spurs are done and ready to roll, with more talent and experience than minutes to play them. WGAF about rumors of a TAW type of player?

genghisrex
10-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Where in the world would French websites be getting realiable inside information on the NBA? This sounds like an oxymoron. :elephant
OWNED (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/102905dnspomavericks.6387ef1.html)

Mavs give up on Abdul-Wahad

10:44 PM CDT on Friday, October 28, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

One of the strangest careers in Mavericks history came to a close Friday when Tariq Abdul-Wahad was waived...

Nice news break, Bruno.

ploto
10-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Finally please lord let this be true a Rasho for TAW trade??? damn at this point i would trade Rasho for that stupid guy that comes in the HEB commercials with Tim Duncan
TAW was waived-- sorry not going to happen. :lol